Eye of the Dragon
DreamLyrics Play-by-Post
Who's Online Now
1 members (KenSeg), 26 guests, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Dice Roller
You will need to enable Javascript in order to view the Dice Roller.
Games Recruiting List

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 14 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 13 14
AJ Offline
[ooc:Sounds like he needs a meatshield to soak the hits for him so he isn't attacked. wink ]

Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
ooc: AJ, I just want to make sure that Nivek didn't miss the fact that Kriv was down because his token was covered up in the map. It might not be the strategy that I would employ, but that's OK. It'll probably work out...probably <weg>

Maybe I don't understand. Is there a time limit we're facing or Kriv is dead? The way I see it, if Karok goes down, who heals him?

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
(OOC - Niv - No. He is stable, but unconscious. He will have to be healed by spell, potion, or by a rest. A short rest and he can use any healing dice he may have left, or a long rest and he recovers all his hps. I think Neptune was referring to a tactical strategy. From the perspective of how effective a pc is in combat, a pc with 1 hp is just as effective as a pc at full hps. So there is an argument that it is better to have 2 pcs who are conscious and fighting with 1/2 their max hps each than it is to have 1 pc fighting at full hp and one unconscious and not doing anything. In the case of the two pcs fighting the party has the potential of doing twice the damage to the enemy each turn than with only one.

As for the question of if Karok goes down who heals him, as long as he is stabilized, i.e. he makes his 3 death saves, or someone uses the Medicine Skill on him, then he can heal himself during a rest using his healing dice. That means as long as the party ends the encounter with a single living pc and all enemies dead, everyone can heal themselves until they run out of healing dice, or in the worst case a long rest and everyone is automatically fully healed.

So the answer to "If Karok goes down who heals him" is, he heals himself during a short or long rest. The party just has to win the encounter.)

Last edited by Zeim; Fri 07/11/14 01:21 UTC.
AJ Offline
[Time limit is 3 failed death saves. Rolling a 1 is 2 failed death saves, rolling a 20 is wake up and have a hitpoint. 3 successful death saves is stable. I got lucky and rolled 3 successes in 4 attempts. If any of those three had been a 1, Kriv would be dead. If two of them had been less than 10, Kriv would be dead.

At this level, the Bugbear was capable of one-shotting almost any party member. It wouldn't matter how healed you were, 1HP or near full health, one hit and good night gracie. There were two possible defences: Not getting hit, and ablative party members to soak the hits, and hopefully get some damage in as well. Healing yourself is a high risk strategy, gambling on your armour beating all the attacks as opposed to some attacks going towards anyone else. On the other hand, high risk or no, it looks to have paid off for now. grin ]

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
...and when we reach 4th level there is a Feat that allows you to use the Medicine Skill to actually give people 1 hit point back in healing, so they're not just stabilized, but awake and able to act. Effectively an endless ability to recover your fellow party members from death. Plus if you use it with a Healer's Kit you get to give them quite a bit of hit points back. But in this latter case only once per rest. If anyone decides to take it at that point......

Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
[Zeim and AJ are right about why I was somewhat surprised. There are some tactics that I thought were commonly accepted, similar to the "don't split 10's" blackjack standard. As AJ said, so far, so good in terms of how it's playing out.

BTW, there are situations where I split 10's ... and I tend to win at Blackjack. wink

The one thing that they didn't mention is that in a face-to-face game one would want to get a player that was losing turns to get back in the game by healing them. ]

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
You mean tactics like "never split the party". Never, never, never, never.....Especially after you just agreed not to do so 1 minute before? wink Although, again, in this case it may have worked out OK (pending what happens to Chandan).

Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
Right. And "focus fire" to try and whittle down the number of enemies and reduce the damage-per-round that they can do.

OK. Back to the game. We can continue this in the OOC thread wink

DM

Karok is healed now but Kriv lies on the ground, breathing strained but steady. Davroar and Jaliera know that there are goblins behind the supplies. They are hidden right now, out of sight. They need to decide what they are going to do and they both have options. A readied projectile could pick one of them off if it emerges. To negate the goblin's skill at stealthiness, they could move get into melee range. A defensive or restorative tactic could mitigate the harm they are taking.

Chandan strips naked, dropping his clothing and equipment, talking craziness which the goblins don't really understand. But now, empty-handed, the two on his level go over to his stuff and one takes out the hempen rope in Chandan's explorer pack while the other threatens him with a spear. The two others, atop the bridge, keep their focus on him as the goblin with the rope moves to tie him up.

Administrator
Administrator
Davroar

After healing Jaliera, he decides that the hidden goblin archers need to be revealed. Making a move, he quickly grabs the torch off the floor and side arms it as far as he can to the opposite side of the cave to get some light over there. He will then duck back to the smaller stalagmite to his right. If it does go out in flight, Davroar figures he can simply use his Druidcraft cantrip to re-light it.

Last edited by Dugan; Fri 07/11/14 06:43 UTC.
Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
[ooc: No need for light. There's a fire in the middle of the room.]

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

The last thing she remembers is the bugbear attacking, loosing all her breath, feeling a bad pain in her middle and then everything going black.

Coming around, she sees Davroar's face above hers and smiles weakly at him, realising that he has used his magic to help her. Then she looks around sharply, concerned that the bugbear might still be attacking but sees his prone body nearby and breathes a sigh of relief.

Seeing Davroar throw a torch and move into cover, she scrabbles into cover herself, remembering those goblin archers, and readies her bow, peeking out to watch for a target. If she sees one she'll fire.

Attack roll in case: 1d20+5, 1d6+3 = 24,6

nem Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Chandan

"Yes yes, nothing hidden! No weapons, not anywhere. Look and see!"

Chandan bends over to provide the goblins and clear view of his completely unsinister lower intestine (prostate somewhat swollen due to age).

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Kallista

(OOC - If we're back at the top of the order.)

"Chandan is in the other room with four Goblins!" She shouts across to the ones hiding behind the stalagmites. "How is Kriv?"

She feel refreshed from killing the Bugbear. (OOC - She gained 4 temporary HPs). As she speaks she watches the boxes across the room where the arrows came from. She readies her main attack and waits, using the boxes she is in for cover.

(OOC - Ready Action- Attack Goblins when they show themselves. First use Bonus Action to move Hex to Goblin who shows himself and then hit him with Eldritch Blast.

Kallista Attack, Dam, Hex
Zeim rolled d20+5,d10,d6 and got 18, 1, 6
)

Last edited by Zeim; Fri 07/11/14 14:27 UTC.
Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
ooc: We're at the top of the order:
Goblins, Kriv, Karok, Kallista, Jaliera, Davroar.

So Kallista will wait a while. We'll keep that nice roll for you Zeim wink

Before the Goblins go, I'm giving Davroar an action. The torch thingy wasn't needed so he gets to act. He can still duck behind the stalagmite and get an action. An action can be to ready an action like Jaliera's.

Dugan, If you do that, you can roll.]

As for Chandan, I'm tempted to take that BCD but I'll send a PM instead wink

Administrator
Administrator
Davroar

"Good to see your alive Jaliera. Now, I'll see if I can't spook one or two of them out into the open for you to shoot."
Peeking around the stalagmite, he uses his druidcraft cantrip to make a sound of a large swarm of angry bees as if they are descending on the hidden goblin archers.

[ooc: please let me know if I'm bending the rules too much with Druidcraft cantrip "create a natural sensory effect" for making a bee sound ]

Last edited by Dugan; Sat 08/11/14 08:29 UTC.
AJ Offline
Delaying until after Karok

Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline

Dugan, no problem but probably not a necessary action. The goblins are going to pop up. None the less, so it is written, so it will be done.

AJ Goblins get to go first, but I have your delay.

DM
The sound of a bee swarm start over the supplies behind which the goblins had been hiding. Whether it is the perceived swarm or their bloodlust, they emerge to fire their bows.

Jaliera is ready for them and fires an arrow at the first one she sees. The arrow strikes and the goblin cries out in pain and anger but it does not die. The wounded goblin and his allies return fire at her, Davroar and Karok. An arrow misses Davroar and another bounces off of Karok's armor but Jaliera, just revived, is struck again.

The three remaining goblins then run towards the group behind the stalagmites, hoping that the next round of attacks will be theirs. Kallista calls out about the monk as she curses the nearest goblin. She then blasts it with a baleful ray of magical power. The goblin is enveloped momentarily in a dark nimbus before it crumbles dead to the ground.

Goblins attack Davroar, Jaliera and Karok
Neptune rolled 1d20+4,1d20+4,1d20+4 and got 10, 24, 17
Jaliera 5 pts damage.
I resolved Kallista out of turn. Jaliera's attack was a reaction triggered from last round, not her regular attack this round so she can go again. This is the initiative order:
Goblins, Karok, Kriv, Kallista, Jaliera, Davroar.

Attached Images
crag-12.jpg (164.86 KB, 148 downloads)
Last edited by Neptune; Sat 08/11/14 19:04 UTC. Reason: Moved Kallista
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
(OOC -Not a big deal but Kallista had moved to hide among the boxes on the southern wall. She should be in the square right above the "A" in Cragmaw on the map.)

Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
[OOC: Okey dokey. Kallista heads south for the winter]

-Nep
Karok

With no healing left, Karok turned to what he did almost as well and swung at the nearest Goblin.

Karok Attack Goblin#3
Nivek rolled d20+6 and got 26 (Critical)
arok Damage vs Goblin #3
Nivek rolled 2d8+2 and got 9

[ooc: Sorry guys, I thought I had 4 spells. Zeim pointed out the error of my ways.
Also, I've been rolling d20+6 for attack. I don't know why it isn't d20+4. Can someone help. Also is d8+2 right for normal damage?]

Nivek - With a Str of 14 you have a +2 bonus to non-finesse weapon attacks, such as Warhammer. You get another +2 to your To-Hit (but not to Damage) for Proficiency. That means if you use the Warhammer one handed it is d20+4 to hit and d8+2 damage. If you drop your shield and use it two handed (it is a versatile weapon, which means you can use it with two hands) your damage becomes d10+2.

Note that you also can use your Bolt of Inspiration from your Divine Domain to gain an extra melee attack 3x per day.

Last edited by Zeim; Sat 08/11/14 22:57 UTC.
AJ Offline
Delaying until after Davroar.

Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
DM

Karok finishes off another of the goblins. That leaves one, goblin who throws down his weapons and emerges with it's hands raised over its head in surrender. One of Jaliera's arrows is sticking out of it's side and dark blood leaks from the wound.

What do you do?

Administrator
Administrator
Davroar

He was about to throw a rock at the advancing goblins with his sling when the battle quickly turns tide and the remaining one goblin surrenders. Quickly he steps out, ready to strike with this quarterstaff in case the devious goblins tries to attack.

Kicking its weapons further out of reach, he will tap the ground indicating for it to go to its knees.

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Kallista

Seeing the last Goblin surrender, Kallista moves her Hex spell over to him. (Choosing to use it to curse any Charisma checks he might need to make when he is inevitably questioned by the group).

Calling out for Karok, as she knows he is the only other one who doesn't need a torch to see by she says, "Karok, follow me to look for Chandan. Davroar, Jaliera, watch over Kriv and the captive and search the room."

That said, she moves carefully back across the room back into the last place she saw Chandan.

(Kallista Stealth
Zeim rolled d20+2 and got 16)

Page 9 of 14 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 13 14

Moderated by  Neptune, Zeim 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Talon475, Randal Trimmer, Kimf, Yvon, TennesseeBaron
177 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Member Spotlight
TennesseeMaiden
TennesseeMaiden
Tiptonville, TN
Forum Statistics
Forums103
Topics2,863
Posts141,573
Members177
Most Online296
Jan 19th, 2020
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
†Restricted forums can only be accessed by DreamLyrics members of the age of 18 years or older. Access which is granted by the Behind Closed Doors Procedure.
™DreamLyrics Play-by-Post. DreamLyrics Play-by-Post does not own copyright on DreamLyrics texts or graphics, except trademarked DreamLyrics logos and logotypes. The works contained in DreamLyrics are copyrighted (automatically, under the Berne Convention) by the original authors and may be available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence. (See Copyrights for details.)
Privacy Policy