Eye of the Dragon
DreamLyrics Play-by-Post
Who's Online Now
2 members (KenSeg, Vryx), 43 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Dice Roller
You will need to enable Javascript in order to view the Dice Roller.
Games Recruiting List

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 14 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 13 14
Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
That'll work.
So far we have the order as...

#1 - Kriv (succeeds and will make it to the top)
#2 - ???
#3 - ???
#4 - ???
#5 - Davroar
#6 - ???

So, pick your spot.
Roll your strength check.
Consider that your movement is halved, rounded down.

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Kallista

She turns to Karok. "If you can help, without expending healing for the group, it'd be appreciated."

(OOC - IOW of the spell you were talking about is a Cantrip, she could use it.)

Kallista Strength Check w/Advantage for rope
Zeim rolled d20-1 and got 11, 16

Put Kallista at #6 or #4 if someone else really wants spot 6.

nem Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
[Thank you thank you Advantage! That was 1-1 on the first roll, 19-1 on the second! Chandan will take position 4.]

Karok Battlehammer

Karok will want to go first, but he understands why someone else should go first, so he'll go second.

Karok Climb Rope
Nivek rolled d20+2 and got 9,20 {Yay Advantage :)} Thanks AJ

[ooc: It's a Cantrip - Guidance]

Last edited by Nivek; Fri 24/10/14 12:44 UTC.
AJ Offline
(Advantage means roll twice take the better result.)

Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
DM

So the order looks like...

Kriv - made it
Karok - failed without rope for advantage
Jaliera
Chandan
Davroar
Kalista

All, let's not assume advantage just yet. The rope has to be set and Kriv is climbing up first, now with a torch in his mouth. The way I read this, Karok's first attempt at climbing failed. He can either wait for the rope or use his second attempt (after 1 round) to climb (we'll keep your 2nd roll) with advantage.

Kriv places the torch in his mouth and begins to climb. The rope is handy but he'll need a place to secure it before some of the others can climb.

OK. Now I need to wait until I have some stat blocks available. I have to resolve but here's the situation...

Kriv finally makes it to the top and he sees that he has entered a large cavern. Sacks and crates of looted provisions are piled up in the south end of this large cave. Kriv entered in the west where the floor of the cavern slopes down to the chimney. A larger opening leads north down a set of natural stone steps, the roar of falling water echoing from beyond. In the middle of the cavern, the coals of a large fire smolder.

Behind Kriv, Karok tries to climb but he is struggling and awaits the rope.

When Kriv finally reaches the top, he is assaulted immediately as a wolf and a bugbear attack.

So, there's a bugbear, a wolf and 3 goblins hiding here. It turns out that the bugbear and wolf expected you (obviously having been warned by the goblins that flooded you) but were expecting you to come from the north, not here. Still, they are tucked away and Kriv's poor passive wisdom mean he's surprised.

Klarg the bugbear roll stealth (modifier not included)
Neptune rolled 1d20 and got 19

Ripper the wolf roll stealth (modifier not included)
Neptune rolled 1d20 and got 13

So, now I need stat blocks to proceed for sure, but sounds of battle are heard below and you can all act/react. You know he's in trouble.

on a roll of 10+ you succeed in climbing.
on a roll of 6-9 you make no progress.
on a roll of 5 or less you fall and take 1d6 damage. Anyone behind you will need to make a dex check or also fall, creating a cascade effect.

Attached Images
crag-6.jpg (139.77 KB, 173 downloads)

-Nep
Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
DM
The bugbear, a big, brutish goblinoid, yells out "Who dares invade Klarg home? Klarg will build a throne of your bones!" as he swings his morningstar at the dragonborn. The weapon is deflected off of the chain armor.

"Eat him Ripper! Chew it down to the bones!" he calls out to his wolf companion. It obeys, with drool dripping from it's sharp canines it jumps at Kriv but the fighter manages to evade the vicious attack.

Ripper the wolf attacks Kriv with surprise and advantage
Neptune rolled 1d20+4,1d20+4 and got 15, 15

Klarg the bugbear attacks Kriv with surprise
Neptune rolled 1d20+4 and got 13

Also, let's get some Initiative! rolls.

Klarg initiative
Neptune rolled 1d20+2 and got 20

Ripper initiative
Neptune rolled 1d20+2 and got 13

Goblin initiative
Neptune rolled 1d20+2 and got 19

Last edited by Neptune; Tue 28/10/14 01:49 UTC. Reason: Added Goblin init
[ooc: So can Karok use that great second roll to hustle his butt up there? If so, let me know if I'm just climbing this turn or what and I'll edit this.]

AJ Offline
Kriv

Kriv initiative
AJ rolled 1d20+1 and got 18

He did not answer the vermin, mostly because he had a torch in his mouth. Armour and quick reflexes had kept him in the fight so far, but he was going to need to do something about the numerical disparity. For now he was firmly on the defensive.

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
(OOC - So how will this work? Does it take a full round for each pc to climb to the top, presuming they make their climb roll? IOW, will it be round 6 before Kallista gets up there?)

Kallista Initiative
Zeim rolled d20+2 and got 21

Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
Zeim, no. You can do a conga-line. But there's risk. If you fall, as I said, anyone that is in the process of climbing could get knocked down by a falling friend.

Nivek, yes, use that second roll but you'll get there for round #3. Round #1 is the surprise round that Kriv made it up. You couldn't move because of the failed roll for that. You'll climb during Round #2. You'll be a combatant round #3.

BTW, I'm being rather lenient.

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

She finds herself third in line as the others place themselves. Karok is struggling and there are now sounds of combat above.

She will wait her turn and then start to climb.

Obviously eager grin Strength roll 1d20 = 17

nem Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Chandan

He looks at the tiefling by the light of his torch, then back to the queue for the chute, and finally back to Kallista.

"One by one they will crack our skulls as we reach the top, if we don't crack our own by falling to the bottom."

Chandan points out into the gloom of the tunnel, the way they came. He's getting drier and grumpier, and is starting to imagine wringing the necks of goblins.

"I will try to draw their attention. Moths to a flame so goblins to a torch."

[His plan is to double move, skirting around the right wall of the tunnel, north-east, in the general direction of Kriv.]

Administrator
Administrator
Davroar

Davroar is struggling to get up the steep climg to the upper chamber.

Davroar Strength Check for climb
Dugan rolled 1d20 and got 8

Last edited by Dugan; Sun 26/10/14 18:16 UTC.
Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline

OOC: I'm back from vacation sad
...but had a great time smile

Neil, is Chandan leaving the wolf den and heading up under the bridge or is he doing something else? There's only room for one person at a time climbing the chimney. Please elaborate.

nem Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
[Aye, that's the plan, Nep.]

Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
There's an interesting conversation in the OOC: thread about surprise that started with Zeim's version of the game. Both games are currently playing in this same room but the other party entered from the steps in the north of the room together.

Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
DM
Kriv finds himself ducking out of the way of the bugbear's morningstar once again before he can return a blow. The great weapon crashes to the ground with a thud, missing it's mark. The dragonborn fighter knows that this unexpected encounter was dangerous and a tactical problem. He was standing at the edge of the entrance. If he didn't somehow lure the battle away from that opening, his allies would have no way to climb out of it and enter the fray. Once he acts he will need to defend himself from the snarling canine that is bearing down on him.

So with that in mind, he takes action.

We're in Round#2.
Klarg attacks Kriv with his morningstar
Neptune rolled 1d20+4 and got 10

The goblins do not act, staying stealthy.

Now I need Kriv's action.

Meanwhile Chandan, with torch in hand, sprints out of the wolf den and up the now drying aqueduct leaving others without darkvision in the dark.

Round#1: Bugbear & Wolf missed
Round#2: Klarg the bugbear (20), Goblins (19), Kriv (18), Ripper (13)
Round#3: Karok and Jaliera. Davroar doesn't make it up so he will have to try again and Kalista has to wait her turn. Meanwhile Chandan is sprinting around the other way. If Kalista wants to follow him, she can. Someone needs to provide a light source.

I still need initiative rolls for Davroar, Jaliera and Karok so I can place them in the melee properly. Note that I will adjust for the situation once I see the rolls.

Attached Images
crag-7.jpg (150.39 KB, 100 downloads)
Last edited by Neptune; Wed 29/10/14 11:58 UTC.
Not sure where Karok is in the pecking order, but I can do initiative smile

Karok Initiative
Nivek rolled d20-1 and got 15

AJ Offline
Kriv

He'd been lucky so far, his armor and combat training sufficient to keep the two imposing foes at bay. He needed to buy space and time for his comrades to ascend, and that meant going on the offensive. In an eyeblink, his maul was in his hands, and he swung it in a vicious underhand sweep, looking to connect with the jaws of the wolf. in the cold calculus of battle, he wagered it could take less punishment than the bugbear, and thinning out the weak would isolate the strong.

Kriv attacking Ripper
AJ rolled 1d20+5 and got 14
Kriv damage, GWF rerolls 1s or 2s
AJ rolled d6,d6 and got 1, 4
Kriv Great Weapon Fighting reroll
AJ rolled d6 and got 6
4+6+3 = 13 damage

Staying within reach of both the bugbear and the wolf lest they take the opportunity to get another hit in, he moved forward beside the stalagmite in front of him, to free up room for those hopefully ascending behind. He centred himself, willing away the pain from his earlier tumble at the water trap.

Kriv Second Wind
AJ rolled d10+1 and got 2
Regain 2hp, current total 9HP

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Kallista

Cursing a blue streak as she sees Chandan leave the room with the light to go off on his own, she takes off after him.

**We just agreed, not a minute ago, to not split up, did we not?**

The light doesn't matter for her. She can see in the dark. And she can't create light, so the others will need to do that themselves. But no one should be alone down here so as bad a feeling as she has about this she runs after Chandan.

(OOC - Nep - Dash easily puts her right behind Chandan. She will use Stealth any time she enters an unknown area, so next turn, presuming they advance into the "gray" area she will use Stealth.)

Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
Nivek: I lined up the PC's in the climbing order and the numbers in parens are the initiative rolls so far in the list of Rounds I provided. Karok is next up the chimney and will get to go before Ripper the wolf in Round #3.

AJ: I'm not sure how you can avoid an AOO without using disengage as your main action.

Zeim: Chandan is doing the dash too, but you'll keep pace.

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
(OOC - Yes, but he started further into the cave than Kallista. I measured the distance and she could actually reach all the way to the stairs leading into room 7 if she used her full movement. But she's stopping short so as not to pass Chandan by, so all is good.)

AJ Offline
A subtle change to the wording governing attacks of opportunity since previous editions: "You can make an opportunity attack when a hostile creature that you can see moves out of your reach." It no longer occurs if the target moves but doesn't leave the creature's reach. Thus, by moving one square across, Kriv remains within the reach of both enemies (going from S of the Bugbear and SW of the wolf to SE of the Bugbear and S of the wolf), and thus does not provoke opportunity attacks.

Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
Ah, I was playing the stalagmite as blocking terrain but I'll give it to you to keep the party alive wink
Sorry, I need my books tonight to resolve.

Page 6 of 14 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 13 14

Moderated by  Neptune, Zeim 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Talon475, Randal Trimmer, Kimf, Yvon, TennesseeBaron
177 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Gypsy
Member Spotlight
Miales
Miales
Conway, Ar
Forum Statistics
Forums103
Topics2,844
Posts140,774
Members177
Most Online296
Jan 19th, 2020
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
†Restricted forums can only be accessed by DreamLyrics members of the age of 18 years or older. Access which is granted by the Behind Closed Doors Procedure.
™DreamLyrics Play-by-Post. DreamLyrics Play-by-Post does not own copyright on DreamLyrics texts or graphics, except trademarked DreamLyrics logos and logotypes. The works contained in DreamLyrics are copyrighted (automatically, under the Berne Convention) by the original authors and may be available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence. (See Copyrights for details.)
Privacy Policy