Eye of the Dragon
DreamLyrics Play-by-Post
Who's Online Now
4 members (MikeD, Phoenix Prime, Zeim, nem), 39 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Dice Roller
You will need to enable Javascript in order to view the Dice Roller.
Games Recruiting List

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Talantal, the Grand Duchy of Talantal
Later in the Afternoon, Midsummer's Day

Bekkah and Finn, Cesare, Kathi, Darcy, Marcy and Tray, Romana and Kay, Kisa and Daxia, Darian and Longtooth.

The red haired scholar tilted her head, listening to the conversation and bright words dashing back and forth across the table. A hand rose, to slowly draw back a stray lock or two from her face, as Kisa considered, considered matters most seriously.

And then, without a word but with a small smile, carefully transferred the carrots from her plate to Daxia's. Not all, but most. She herself worried a piece of venison, with a sharp little black dagger, befitting a noble lady of course - but then, on a commons table, there is a saying that there's nothing that can't be et with anything more.

Which, however, made soup a challenge.

"Well met, master Blacksmith. I think we saw each other when I came into the city; it is good to meet under better circumstances."

She took up a piece a piece of bread and dunked it into the gravy, giving her companion a slow look. She could not help but smile, seeing Daxia in country airs.

"My Knight."

And then it was as if she were looking through Daxia, to somewhere else, somewhere far off.

"My Knight ... "

"Temple Knight Number One ...."

For a moment there was a hint of silence around this small gathering. Even Romana looked up, blinking across, glancing between Daxia and KIsa.

"I think ... I think my sister, I think my cousin should have their own Knights."

Dawnview. Snowgate. Glacier. All things in threes. Kisa Allaine then shook her head back and forth, her long full locks dancing over her shoulders. When she continued to speak her words were much lighter, much more to the matters at hand.

"Dazi ... this is the best meal I've had .... since a picnic in an orchard."

Across the way the Blacksmith nodded in return.

"Well met indeed. An yes, I think we did."

Finn then leaned against Bekkah, taking a moment to tuck her in closer - which elicited a startled GASP from Darcy, across the way, and a giggle from the more earthy Marcy. He could not help but raise a brow, offer an almost rakish grin, as if he somehow knew exactly how much trouble he was in - one false word and he'd be in trouble with both sisters.

"I think ..."

He began, turning to focus his attention on the Lady at his side.

"I think Midsummers is one of the best thoughts since the First Tree.

"When else could a simple village-born blacksmith share the company of three Dawnview ladies fair? Sisters with eyes the color of the summer sky, when can a commoner speak with a Noble, when can children find company in a lap unexpectedly soft, or a Lord and his servants share a joke with those of the First Ring?"

He tapped Bekkah lightly on the head, nodding to her and her ... three initiates.

"A day when we don't have to take up the roles the world places on us, and just enjoy our own company from sunrise to sunrise."

Further down the table, at its end, where a Korie Lord held the most informal of Courts, Tray listened to Kadri's requests. In truth he was more interested in listening to the people around him chatter - about the harvest - about goods coming and going through the gates - of the differences between each watch - about who was fancying who and how oblivious young men can be - complaints about taxes - and taking a cue from Kathi, who had made a small plate of bread, cheese and vegetables, which with Tray's aid, eventually vanished beneath the table.

"Of course I'll look after them ... it's not like ..."

For a moment Dominic's brother fell suddenly silent. His brow furrowed as he continued.

"You got into an argument with Dame Talia, didn't you. She's the only member of the Keep who hasn't been here long enough enough to know ...

"To some they may be the least of those in the Keep's employ. But you never harm them. My other brother once made a totally inappropriate advance on ..."

Behind Tray, Kathi's face suddenly went bright red and she looked at the ground. Tray kindly did not finish that sentence.

"The next day he was as white as death. He refused to tell why.

"So my dear sister ... you may be a doozy.

"But so is my brother.

"What is more important, however, is to keep Dame Talia more interested in other matters. You didn't focus her attention on them or anything else, did you?"

Beneath a tumble of children, Romana caught a hint of Tray's words and in response she swallowed.

The white haired Easterner decided it was better to look down at those who filled her lap. It was an odd juxtaposition, for a handful of steps away Darian and Cesare were also focused on the consequences of coming too close, too soon. Here, however, Romana slowly, shyly, quietly, reached down. With one hand she stroked a light locked lass's hair, hesitant at first, then more and more soft, more comfortable. The girl stirred only a bit, lost in her siesta, but she did sleepily smile.

A few heartbeats later, Romana rubbed her eyes with her free hand.

A little farther down the long table, with a very un-farmer girl lift, Dandelion Koromov snared the collar of an unsuspecting miller's son, lifted him up like a mother cat might a kitten and deposited him a foot or so to the side, making room for two more on the bench. Taking one of the places she drew out her own long dagger and speared an ex-goose drumstick. She then nodded to Mikal,

"You are brave enough to ask me to dance?

"But not brave enough to sit and eat?"

At the end, when Daxia looked back down ...

The other half of her bread was missing.

If the Dayalan glanced back over her shoulder she would catch her dark haired Initiate rubbing crumbs from her lips with the back of her hand.

"What?"

(Buffalo)
Online Busy
(Buffalo)
Mikal

He starts, noting that the music he'd heard earlier was now gone. Face flushing a bit red in embarrassment. He nods to Dandy, taking the seat next to her and reaching for some ale and venison.

"I was distracted", he says. "I'd been meaning to ask you to dance since midwinter's."

Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Daxia Yurisdotter

She smiled happily at the gift of carrots. While her fondness for carrots could never rival His Magnificence’s fondness for apples, as a mere mortal she did make the best effort possible. In addition to the smile, Kisa received a companionable nudge — shoulder to shoulder — in thanks.

But eyebrows raised higher and higher as Kisa spoke of Knights and such, then looked thoughtfully at the Heiress of Dawnview. “Knights of the sort your own Knight is — one who does not gallivant about the mainland but rescues folks, breaks curses, defends the defenseless, and in general tries to make the world a better place? Such an interesting thought,” she mused. “We are few, but I happen to know that such a Knight — in training still, but she’s quite clever — stands behind us.”

Daxia sipped her ale as she watched Kisa from the corner of her eye, though she, too, almost seemed to be looking at something else.

“You know,” she said as she put the mug down, “sometimes you do need to point at the place where I should look, but that is quite an interesting Path, m’Lady.” The last was said almost teasingly, though the entire thought was lightly said, befitting the day. “Such an interesting discussion we can have later!”

She poked Kisa’s arm gently. “But I rather prefer names to numbers, thank you very much. ‘Temple Knight Number One’ indeed!” Dazi giggled. “Why, it sounds unnaturally pretentious... as if I am trying to match my Partner’s reputation, which is not possible, I promise you.”

But then she smiled softly, remembering the far too infrequent orchard rendezvous for picnics that so often turned into informal lessons.

“Da, our hostess has a fine squad of cooks, and the company...” She looked up and down the table, her eyes resting slightly longer on her sister before returning to Kisa. “The company could not be finer.”

Looking between Heiress and Blacksmith, the Knight tilted her head slightly. “You had a less than auspicious first meeting? Is it a story worth sharing?”

As the Blacksmith tucked Bekkah closer to him, the only thing that kept Dazi from giggling at the Atteran twins’ gasp was the look on Bekkah’s face. Their Path had not been an easy one since the sisters had reunited in Cragside, and she’d seen too many shadows cross her sister’s face. If there was anyone deserved all the happiness in the world, it was her big sister. Oh, the Dayalan was well aware that perpetual happiness was impossible, and would be a curse if it was possible. But to her younger sister, Bekkah was a quiet hero, the sort for whom ballads are never written.

“Aye, though I’ve always thought our eyes were more the color of the deepest part of Sapphire Lake,” she said softly, an arm slipping around Kisa’s waist. “Midwinters is also one of the finest thoughts ever thought, at least in Dawnview Vale. Ah, the sight of Her Light dancing on the snow like fine crystals...”

She blinked, then whispered, “She stands on columns finely carved and laced with softest gold, marble of warmest honey spun and wrapped with crystal cold.”

Dazi looked at Kisa, as if there was an answer in her face to a question she couldn’t even articulate.

“I don’t know why that song speaks to me, and I’m not sure what it’s saying.”

She shook her head and sighed, then reached for her mug of ale. Hiding her smile when she noticed the missing bread, she finished her ale and set the mug down again. The blacksmith was right. Midsummer and Midwinter let commoner, Noble and Imperial be simply people. Dazi had some inkling of how difficult the lives of the Nobles could be, more than many at any rate. And even she did not know the full weight that Kisa carried; she only knew that she eased the burden by being her Knight and, most importantly, her friend.

Glancing over her shoulder, she saw Kay wiping away the last traces of her stole bread, and also saw Romana’s hand rubbing her eyes.

“Oh, nothing,” she said in reply to the Initiate’s question. “Would you like some ale to wash that down?”

Turning back, she looked at the sleepy child’s smile... the other children... then Romana’s pale Eastern face.

“Pancakes.”

The sentiment covered everything the two of them had been through together since meeting that fateful day in a hidden glade off the Brementown Road, but perhaps especially for a trust shared and a promise made one night while sitting on a bale of hay watching barn cats mock fight.

Smiling, she turned her attention back to the scholarly Heiress.

“How long did you plan to remain in Talantal? Hmm, perhaps I should ask how long you plan to stay now that I and mine set the Council session slightly askew?”

"Everything is bad except unicorns." -- Phoebe
Bekkah

She had no idea where this day would lead, she really didn't know where she wanted it to lead. The only thing she knew was that she was thoroughly enjoying herself, more so than she had in a while.

She met Finn's eyes and smiled.

"It is indeed a gift. If only we could go as we please with whom we please every day. But I know, such thoughts are unreasonable and perhaps we wouldn't enjoy a day such as this as much."

She looked at her sister and Kisa and she was so happy for Dazi. It had been a while since she'd seen Dazi smiling such as she was and that gladdened her own heart.

She looked at Romana then looked away before Romana noticed her looking.

*Nothing like children to break down all barriers* she thought.

Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Kadri:

"... She as much as threatened them, and also Brockman's. Sometimes my temper can get the best of me, and this may have been one of those times."

Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood

Bekkah and Finn, Cesare, Kathi, Darcy, Marcy and Tray, Romana and Kay, Kisa and Daxia, Darian and Longtooth.

"Since Midwinters ..."

Dandelion Koromov just smirked.

"Your timing really is horrible, isn't it."

Her hand reached out, to cover his mug before any ale could stain the insides.

"I said Amber ... amber ... amber ... oh there!"

With a wave she summoned one of the bartenders, one caught carrying a small brown cask. Between her fingers she waved four dull silver coins and those were the true attention getters. All were traded for the cask, from which she popped the bung and poured Mikal a rich, heady beer.

"There' a bar down in Talesan's Village that brews this. Four stars is cheap; it'll go for five times that up in Cragside or Corliss."

She poured herself her own mug, taking a deep draught before leaning back and wiping her lips with the back of her hand.

"Nectar of the Gods, laddie. Horses and Beer at the Sea's coast. There's a reason your Talesan made good his village there."

Across the way Kisa simply turned her head, burying it against Dazi' shoulder.

" ... so much for a well spent allowance."

Resting her chin on her knight's shoulder, Kisa considered the Dayalan's words.

"I'm not sure. A few days, at least; I would like to visit Lord Tray's library; and then there's my investment to keep track. A chance to learn about what lies behind the mountains Black, that tempts. It's like a path of tiles that ends up leaving of my room. Happens occasionally. Once I ended up in the kitchens. Mother was furious and a few days later she sent this girl up to my room.

"I wonder if I'd ever get another chance to see the sea.

"So I am not sure. Some days ... some days I sit on the branching of the path and enjoy considering the different journeys."

From across the way Finn shook his head, waiting for Kisa to finish before answering Daxia's question.

"Oh nothing of the sort; save that it was late in the evening when they arrived, I was closing up shop but had previously gotten word that a few more horses were coming in. Their shoes and board had been paid for and I suspect both the Miss and the Captain wanted to get to their bed much more than chat with their farrier."

He then returned his attention to Bekkah.

"And you ask how I was able to keep up. You speak true, days such as these are as rare as emeralds on a weaselwolf - so it is not a matter of not being able to keep up, but knowing that one cannot let good company go lacking."

At the end of the table, Tray frowned, nodding to Kadri.

"That's a trick, you know. Getting folks angry. A angry person often says or does things that are less than wise.

"Our worry now is that the only thing worse than a serpent in the garden ... is a serpent in the garden who has an agenda."

Which left only one last comment, a chuff of amused breath, from the younger Koromov.

"On watch. No drinks."

She did, however, reach out to dab the last of her confiscated bread in her teacher's gravy.

Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Daxia Yurisdotter

She chuckled at Kisa’s comment.

“It’s Midsummers, Kisa. And your allowance — and thank our Lady that Kassia taught me how to school myself in Court, for that comment nearly undid me! — was truly well spent, and has paid at least one dividend already.”

She listened to Kisa’s plans, her thoughts, and merely brushed her nose against Kisa’s when the blacksmith spoke again. For a moment, she could almost with for the vision of a bird, to be able to see from both sides of her head and look at both Kisa and Finn simultaneously. Politeness demanded that she turn her head — feeling nearly gushy mushy, and how strange was that? — to look at the blacksmith when he spoke.

“Simple and innocent, unlike so many of the dire encounters I’ve been treated to. That’s reassuring,” she said with a tiny sigh. Bekkah claimed his attention almost before Daxia finished speaking, causing the Dayalan to smile happily at her sister for a moment before giving her attention once again to Kisa.

“Mmm, libraries! I’m sure you’ll need a personal guard in such a dangerous place,” she said, trying not to giggle. “And that evening... no, I guess your Mother knew exactly what she was doing when she sent that girl up to your room. With even more tiles for you.

“Ah, Kisa, the world is so big and so small all at the same time! There are wonders like the Sea of Opals that I’ve yearned to see. There are curiosities to investigate, and always more questions than answers. There are, no doubt, more curses to break and Important Things To Do. A Rider and her Unicorn do not simply gallivant about, you know.”

She rolled her eyes at Kay as the youngster helped herself to the gravy on her plate.

“Oh, for goodness’ sake, Kay! If you can pilfer food from half the plates at the table, you can at least drink a mug of cider. Because it’s Midsummers and I said so.” Her eyes held her Initiate’s for a moment. “Now is not then,” she said softly, “and no one here will allow harm to come to Romana.”

She glanced down the length of the table to Lord Tray, who was speaking to Kadri. Sighing softly and shaking her head minutely at the Squire attending Kadri, she eyed Kay again.

“Perhaps you could instruct our good Squire in the fine art of food theft and other light hearted means of making mischief. He looks even more out of place than you or Romana.”

And then Daxia philosophically shrugged the shoulder not claimed by Kisa. Kay would do what Kay thought best. It wasn’t as if Dazi could order her to have fun.

“Is that what we’re doing?” she asked Kisa a moment later. “Sitting at the branching and considering the journeys?”

Possibilities were endless; there were, of course, things she wanted to do and places she wanted to see. There were mysteries to solve, knowledge to gain, suffering to soothe.

“I don’t think it really matters which Path I take, for many of them loop back to find others eventually. I think the best Path to take would be any that allow us to walk it together for a while.

“Even an Heiress ought to go on Walkabout at least once.”

Dazi did giggle then.

“The Captain has her Horde and her friend Harry has his Heavy Horse. Your Dazi has her ducklings who, for a while anyway, seem to think it perfectly fine to follow her wherever she goes. Come along with us. You’ll be in interesting company no matter where we go.”

(Buffalo)
Online Busy
(Buffalo)
Mikal

He returns the smile. Accepting the Amber and taking a long drink. Sighing in appreciation.

"Yes, it is. My timing I mean. Always has been. How do you think I ended up with this lot instead of fat and happy in a warm bed with a cute farmer's daughter?" He chuckles.

"This is really good." He takes another measured sip. "Can't afford this on a Lone Jvrillian's income."

Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood

Captain Koromov took a second draught of her beer.

"Actually, laddie, you are looking at - what Duffy tells me - cart costs. You go down the Path to the shore and in the Amber Inn, its a handful of pennies a pint. That and their barmaid is adorable. She's probably ten or twelve by now, but I'll bet a keg of that beer against a crown of yours that she is still adorable."

She then gave the mercenary a suddenly stern and even look.

"The Mikailsson doesn't just raise horses. He trains them ... and their riders.

"He taught me. Duffy. Rafe. Harry. Barris."

She tilted her head and laughed.

"And if you ever wanted to watch a bunch of grown warriors try and out shine the other like a group of alley brat gang kids, that was the summer."

At the head of the table, Troy looked back to Kadri,

"Think about how rarely Dominic gets angry. Not very often, I suspect.

"Dominc often told me. Always save your best card for last.

"Often, I thought he was speaking of Miss Mouse ... now, now I'm not too sure."

Which let the conversation swing back to the two redheads, a snow haired lass and a gravy dunked bread stealing brunette. For a long while Romana let herself be distracted, by her small young wards and how soft their hair was, how easy it was to make a smile. She looked down, quiet and then straightened a bit. Sapphire yes took on a shade of steel, a simple and quiet realization.

"Mahtashka'al'Romanishkahs als'kanta kaer.

"Romanishkahs'hla'shesheenakiory ..."

One of the little ones peeked open an eye; and a handful of mothers and fathers nearby The adults, however, looked a bit worried - their gaze showing a hint of fright.

Then the kidlet yawned and whispered.

"That monster-lady talk? Sounds like ... singing ... want to be scary, learn to growl ..."

Romana blinked. Once, and then twice and looked down at the boy.

"Woof?"

"Monster-lady ... you don't make a very good wolf, do you ..."

"Apologies."

One of the mothers smiled. Then there were chuckles. It seemed Bekkah was correct about children. Kay simply shook her head and took a bite out of her bread, a big healthy farmer girl's bite.

"Out of place? Happen to believe this is a fine right place to be. And as for the squire, what he needs is either a good brawl or ... or ... or ... how did Lily-kins put it ... oh ja; ja ... ja ... ja ... he needs a tumble in the hay."

Kay tilted her head, considering Dean and then she let her gaze drift.

"... maybe the stuffy one over theeeeeeeere! Gawk!"

She barely had a moment to duck the hardroll Darcy, the stuffy one, threw at her. Of course the proper Initiate suddenly looked shacked and chagrined. Kay did manage to catch the second one that Marcy attempted, being a good supportive sister and all. She did chuckle, however.

"That weren't very lady like."

"I tried that once, you know ..."

Kisa looked to the side, at her Knight, before continuing.

"i once tried to throw a roll at a very stupid ambassador from ... well here. My Mother was extremely angry. She said it wouldn't help."

That, of course, got a very typical First Ring reaction.

"Silly girl."

"Of course not. You got to kick them in the backside."

"I'll drink to that!"

"You berk, you'll drink to anything ..."

The Allaine shrugged her shoulders, smiling just a bit, before returning to more serious matters.

"Da. A crossroads."

She then started, sudden and surprised, as she fished out a small pendant she wore beneath her tunic. She held it up, the silver metal glittering in the afternoon sun.

"You, know, of course, being a good Allaine daughter ... I am one of our patron's followers.

"If I did this ...

" ... walkabout ..."

"Would that make me ...

On the slender chain was a simple silver star.

"A wild Dayalan?"

Last edited by Wolf; Sun 07/09/14 23:43 UTC.
Bekkah

This was the way the world was supposed to be every day. At least that's what the Atteran thought to herself as she smiled at the goings on around her.

"If only it could be Midsumer's every day Dazi. A woman could get very used to this." she said looking from Dazi to Finn and back with a satisfied smile on her face.

Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
Little Brat

One of the children peeked his head up over the edge of the table, just to eye level, to look up to the pretty blonde Priestess.

"But then it wouldn't be special!"

Bekkah

She laughed.

"True, but it would still be fun. Wouldn't it Romana?" she said with a wink for her new apprentice.

"Any idea how long we'll be here Dazi?" she asked purposefully not looking up at Finn.

Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Kadri:

"... I can cede the point. Amber blood runs hot in my veins, and at times I still need to learn how to tell it to wait a little while longer. By the way, however, as I have not formally introduced myself to you .."

She offers her curtesy and 'formal greeting'.

"I am getting somewhat tired of doing such, but around here it seems expected, yes?,

(Buffalo)
Online Busy
(Buffalo)
Mikal

He ears perk up at the comments from Dandy. "Mikailsson is at the Amber Inn near the shore?"

Getting Talia, and himself, trained as a warhorse and rider would be a dream of his. He has a sudden thought that brings him up short.

"Probably more than I could afford, I suspect." He says, the disappointment clear in his voice. "Being a Lone Jvrillian doesn't pay well."

She of Chaos
She of Chaos
Darian

She cocked her head to the side, hearing in his words more than she expected.

"Darian gone one day, not handfull," she said, a tone of inquiry in her words. "Think Cesare drimk much ale. Darian, Longtooth need catch up."

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

For a moment her words hang in the air.. but then he grins, nodding. After all it is Midsummers.

"Let's get back to the others and join the festivities."

Then he adds.

"But I am glad you are back."

She of Chaos
She of Chaos
Darian

"Good," she said but took a big step and turn to stand in front of him. "Cesare no pick up. Darian no child, no bird, no prey."

She softened her words with one of her rare smiles then took up his arm.

"Need ale."

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

He smiles back, glad she seems to be fine with him again, but he is still left with the feeling that he has done something wrong, missed or understood something. This is confirmed as she speaks.. but he still doesn't understand.

He covers her hand with his as they start to move back to the others.

"Did I treat you as a child.. or as prey? If I caused offence it was not intended. You mean a lot to me Darian, more than perhaps I realised.. but I think of you as a strong independent woman, bright and brave."

His voice is low, even a bit hesitant. These are not the sort of words he has ever said before.

Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Daxia Yurisdotter

She smiled at Romana and her children. Well, perhaps it truly was the other way around. Romana was in the care and trust of this band of tiny warriors.

She snickered at Kay, at the two young Atteran Initiates, though she wasn’t sure either Kay or Lily-kins was right in this particular case. Young Squire Dean was... well, a bit of an enigma.

And she chuckled at Kisa’s admission — and the townsfolk’s reaction to it — regarding her own bread-throwing career.

“Well, it would appear your Mother was correct yet again. Though I suspect the recommendation of these fine folk would not have been helpful at the time, either.”

Daxia blinked at Kisa, and closed her mouth on the glib response she could have given. The Allaine Heiress asked a serious question; it was necessary for her Knight, a Starrider of Dayala, to give a serious answer. No, no... that wasn’t quite it. It was necessary for Dazi to give serious thought to her answer.

After a moment, she slowly nodded.

“While many would say no, I would say yes. You are a Wild Dayalan. But it would not be the journey that makes you a Wild Dayalan, Kisa.”

She looked down the table at Captain Koromov, in animated conversation with Mikal.

She considered Gilly... and Kassia... what she had heard about Poppy... what she surmised about Kori... and she looked back at her friend with a smile.

“We — you and I — have always been Wild Dayalans. We just didn’t know it. Kassia and Gilly knew, about me anyway. They made sure I could do what needed to be done... out here, beyond Snowgate Pass.

“And you cannot be the Snowqueen, for I’ve told you I’ll not allow it,” she added with a wink. “But you, too, can do what needs to be done. Perhaps you cannot kill a demon, but you came prepared to broker a settlement with Talantal. You were determined to do whatever it took to ensure that your people had food for the coming winter. Why, you even spent your allowance on that grand mercenary troop lead by my Temple Sister!

“And together — you and I — used our skills and talents to create a fairly peaceful alliance from what otherwise might have been an uneasy agreement.”

Dazi chuckled as she hugged Kisa. “Of course, you’re a Wild Dayalan! Silly Kisa. And Dawnview will be better for it, even though I still would like your Mother to remain Khorall for a very long time.”

She then smiled at her sister. “Oh, a few days, I would think. And after that...”

Looking around at all her companions, eyes lingering on Kisa for a moment, she sighed and breathed a prayer a thanks to her Lady for this small respite of peace. Dazi looked back at Bekkah and shrugged.

“...who knows?”

Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Late Afternoon, Midsummer's Day

It took Romana a moment or two to look up, duty and friendship catching her attention - duty, in that her mentor had queried her, friendship because it was also one and the same in the Lady Bekkah.

"Find new ways to make it special ..."

She looked down to her fierce and siesta loagy protector.

"Make new friends Day, yesyesyes-ees-ess-ess-eeeeeeeeeek!"

Behind Romana, Kay simply chuckled. What did her charge expect, that such a statement would not elicit a sudden snugging and cacophony.

'Yea! Monster Lady's my friend! I claim her!

"No she's my friend! here Monster Lady, have a piece of cheese!

"She's a monster lady not a mouse!"

"Hey I was resting!"

"Stop that, I'm all comfy. Monster Lady's soft."

"I got a sparkly stone from the mill creek, isn't it pretty?"

"Where did my cheese go?"

"HOI!"

Finally the youngest Dayalan spoke up, addressing the tumbling children on the Easterner's lap. It did attract their attention; the sudden scolding from an older kid - though it took a few more moments for the lad offering a precious strawberry to take notice.

"Her name is not Monster Lady. Her name is Romana. Row-mah-nah."

The one with the strawberry blinked.

"Romana?"

Kay confirmed, giving the lad a fierce stare.

"Romana."

From her lap one of the girls looked up and squeezed tight, well as tight as a little one could.

"Romana. That's real pretty name."

"But I like Monster Lady ..."

"That's because you make us call you Weasel!"

"Weasel's a perfectly good name!"

"Wizzle good names. If shorts."

"See! Even Monster Laaaa ouch you pokeded me!"

"I'll tell."

Across Romana's lap two of the children gave each other fierce looks; one the self-named Weasel, the other a girl with long black hair who bore a him a slight similarity.

"Fine. Even Roooooooooow-mah-nah thingks its a good name! You still pokeked me."

"Sister's job."

Kay closed the discussion, agreeing with the fairer sibling, as she took a big bite of roll.

"Bloody straight."

Kisa's cheeks, however, were turning the same color as her silken locks, at the sudden hug. Crimson hair angle as she closed her eyes. She hugged back and then turned back around so she could wrap both arms around Daxia's and rest her head on her friend's shoulders.

"That's a scary thing, being a wild Dayalan. Maybe that's why there are so few. To be away from home and shelter, to know first hand what the world really is like beyond the safety of Snowgate Pass."

She then looked ahead, letting out a long breath.

"Maybe I should go with you to the sea. It will be my only chance, look and you can see that, can't you ..."

Her words were quietly serious,

"My Mother was never good at hiding her trials from me. I am thinking this was my last test.

"There is a word for passing it, I think, and passing with banners waving in the breeze.

"Bittersweet."

At the head of the table, Tray simply laughed.

"Lass, look where you are. First Ring of Grand Talantal. The poor quarter. The working folks quarter.

"it is also the largest of Talantal's great rings.

"And ... the most ... honest.

"How many curtseys do you see here?

"When the sun sets we shall all have to put our masks on again and take up the roles we have been assigned by fate.

"Honesty doesn't come easily to Dommy, but that is part of his charm.

"But I can' help but think that he found it easier to be himself here than in the fancy Keep of his Family.

"Maybe you should try it.

"Like this. Good afternoon, I'm Tray. I think you know my brother."

Further down the table, Dandelion touched mugs with Mikal, letting her shoulders rise and fall in a non-committal shrug.

"Not at the tavern, laddie. His farm's a quarters day's ride to the north. Nice place; expect to sleep in the hayloft, 'cause he starts his lessons before dawn. And tell him the truth - that Dandelion Koromov still owes you. Then you'll not have a problem; me and his daughter will square up when she brings us our next string.

"Though it is not a lesson that one can do in an evening; you get out of it what you put in.

She then looked across the way, noting the two estranged members of their little troop. The Rhoni and the Huntress. The Captain looked to he snarkhound and raised her mug to her lips, taking a slow sip across the brim of her mug.

"Poor lad. He's probably used to pursuing pretty gals ...

"But if that ruff is hers, she's a huntress. You don't pursue a huntress ...

"You let them catch you."

Last edited by Wolf; Sun 14/09/14 15:37 UTC.
Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Kadri:

"Few enough, its true. And I find this damnable false smiles and daggers in the dark and courtesy used as a weapon much to my distaste. My upbringing, my ... "

A long pause.

"The place of my birth is much more direct, yes? I think I make a somewhat poor noble - "Dama Kadri djinn Khayriyah djinn Terilanquel al'Korie is perhaps less me than Kadri djinn Lisica al'Izgon. Still. I wonder if I could find a dance in this place?"

She gives a lopsided smile.

"I desperately feel the need to MOVE."

Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Daxia Yurisdotter

She simply tucked Kisa in close, silent for once.

Wild Dayalans...

Passing of a torch, a banner, a sword...

Bittersweet.

Aye. Bittersweet.

“It’s terrifying, but not for the reasons you think. I’m the only daughter of Dawnview who carries a sword beyond Snowgate Pass. Dandy is from Trundle, and all the rest — Kassia, Gilly, Poppy, Kori — are all born of the Tarn.

“There are few because we are few, and even fewer who know in their heart and mind that our best and most honest work is done outside the Vale.”

Daxia sighed.

“It’s terrifying because it is a greater responsibility. It’s terrifying because I must be the one to know what is right and what is wrong. I don’t have a Priestess to guide me.” She smiled softly. “I do have a Unicorn who has taken Kassia place, who calls me cobble block when I am foolish, who confounds me every bit as much, who has me fetching apples instead of carrying water buckets, and...”

It was Midsummers, and not a time for listening to the songs of sadness her heart wanted to sing. Gilly had said that the Unicorns kept Dayalan honest. She herself had told Tashka that until a Unicorn found her, she had only her heart to guide her. And yet, even though Morning Star found her on Midwinters eve, Daxia felt as though it was even more important than before that she follow her heart. Strange, that. So very strange.

“...and spins tales of days past that take my emotions on every journey possible.

“And it’s still terrifying. To be away from home? The Temple was my home, and without Kassia there it would seem like an empty home. We rarely lack for shelter; people are kind, Kisa, even if all they have to offer is a corner of their barn or a bit of floor in their home. To sleep under the gaze of our Sisters in fair weather is comforting, even if the ground is not particularly comfortable.”

She smiled, something between fond memories and bewilderment.

“I see it, Kisa. It seems less clear and stark to me, to say this is — without a doubt — your only chance to visit the Sea, but yes. It does seem quite likely.”

The Knight of Dawnview Castle and the Heir of Allaine...

Khorall Linnell could see well enough to know it was important to send a young Initiate to her daughter’s room one night with dinner, and the package of more Doublebluff tiles than any person needed.

The Second Witch of Dawnview was crafty enough to know just which Initiate to mold, to cajole, to badger into being the best she could possibly be.

Who could predict where hearts would go? But had the two of the cleverly maneuvered a daughter and a student into becoming this very force the world now had? Knight and Khorall, both Wild Dayalans?

Daxia was certainly cynical enough to believe it. Her friendship with Kisa was a lovely bonus.

Except... except to her, it was everything. Without Kisa’s friendship, what would her heart say? Without Kisa’s friendship, would she have done anything differently? No, probably not. But all of it would have been a series of hollow victories. And without her friendship, Kisa could well be the second Snowqueen.

She kissed the top of Kisa’s head.

“Then come with us. Stand and look out over the Sea of Opals with me. Visit with the Noble Family Larsen. See the world through different eyes. We both know it will only make you all the wiser for the experience.

“And then I will see you safely home, and pay my respects to your Mother. I will at least have the chance to thank her for all she has done for me, will I not? Her trials are not so great that I should have to bear yet another sorrow, are they?”

The Starrider sighed again, this time more deeply and with no small amount of dread.

“I believe I and my Initiate will also be required to present ourselves to the Temple for service there, which I’m sure will be a delight. I have a feeling I have a capacity to ruffle more feathers than the Captain does. I know her young cousin behind us certainly does!”

Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
Tray Korie

Tray looked down the long line of tables, at the food and ale and revelry and replied to Kadri.

"I think dancing will again occur again after the meal ...

"Though you may not be as free as you wish. The problem with wearing titles is they come with reoles to play - and while it is Midsummers, when anyone can do anything ...

" ... come the morrow and everyone one will still remember what you did over the holiday.

"Which means ...

"Your choices are more than limited - I can only think of one person you could dance with that would not bring trouble ... especially if it reaches our dear sister-in-laws ears."

Last edited by Wolf; Wed 17/09/14 16:49 UTC.
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
Kisa Allaine

"Aunt.

"I believe aunt is the more proper. With a certain imaginative number of greats."

Kisa smiled at the kiss, very quiet.

"She knew the lass I was named for. That is very strange. For us they are tales told beneath the stars, stories for learning, reminding us of the things we are not to forget, more important for their lessons.

"And yet for her, she wasn't just a person.

"She was real, she knew her voice, looked into her eyes, tied the same ribbons around beneath the blade of her spear."

Kisa focused upon the youngest Dayalan, who gave her back a very suspicious What-Do-I-Have-Crumbs-On-My-Cheek look back.

Her next words were sure.

"I shall go and stand upon the cliffs of Talesan's Village, and watch the sun set over the Sea of Opals.

"I need to be like her.

"I need to know whats real.

"I look to your Initiate ...

"And all my lessons seem somehow ... empty."

Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Kadri:

And eyebrow raises.

"Do tell, brother, do tell. Because if I must, I will attempt to dance on my own, but that would be more than passing strange."

Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Wolf 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Talon475, Randal Trimmer, Kimf, Yvon, TennesseeBaron
177 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Gypsy
Member Spotlight
Zeim
Zeim
Nashville, TN, USA
Forum Statistics
Forums103
Topics2,844
Posts140,771
Members177
Most Online296
Jan 19th, 2020
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
†Restricted forums can only be accessed by DreamLyrics members of the age of 18 years or older. Access which is granted by the Behind Closed Doors Procedure.
™DreamLyrics Play-by-Post. DreamLyrics Play-by-Post does not own copyright on DreamLyrics texts or graphics, except trademarked DreamLyrics logos and logotypes. The works contained in DreamLyrics are copyrighted (automatically, under the Berne Convention) by the original authors and may be available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence. (See Copyrights for details.)
Privacy Policy