Eye of the Dragon
DreamLyrics Play-by-Post
Who's Online Now
2 members (Barry Mulvihill, Phoenix Prime), 42 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Dice Roller
You will need to enable Javascript in order to view the Dice Roller.
Games Recruiting List

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Daxia Yurisdotter

Dazi relaxed visibly at Darian’s arrival, allowing the sword to slide back into the scabbard and her hands to drop to her side.

“Hoi, Darian,” she said, permitting herself a tight smile as she turned slightly to rest a hand lightly on the shoulder of the wee Mouse’s friend. She still kept a wary eye on the snarkhound, however.

“I would say your actions worthy of a Dayalan if it would not give you offense, lass. Certainly they are the actions of a true friend.”

The redhead glanced at Lord Korie and the Mouse still trying to make herself invisible, then hooked her thumbs into her belt.

“You’re one of Dominic’s, yes?” The Dayalan’s tone could almost be interpreted as implying Dominic’s caretaker rather than Dominic’s servant. “I’m afraid I did not learn your name earlier. I am Daxia, and this is Hunter Darian,” she said, tilting her head in Darian’s direction.

Although she continued to glance at Longtooth with every breath, Daxia scanned the crowd again. Upon seeing another redhead with a taller blonde behind her, the radiance of her smile almost matched the brilliance of the Sun Herself. She waved Kisa and Dandy over.

Bekkah looked to be having the time of her life, and Dazi could not be happier for her. Nor did she want to interrupt her sister; Bekkah needed this chance to touch the ground and not be on a pedestal... even if it only lasted for one precious Midsummers day.

In deference to the Korie’s obvious enjoyment of his anonymity, she simply said to Darian as an introduction, “Man Tray... girl name Mouse.”

On the next pass of her eyes over the snarkhound, Dazi frowned with disapproval... and sighed.

Looking over Darian’s shoulder, her eyes grew wider as she muttered, “Ooops.”

She looked at a couple dancing — well, one of them was actually dancing — nearby.

“Does Romana need more practice? Maybe let Bekkah dance dance dance all day, da?” Dazi looked over in Cesare’s direction again, lower lip caught between her teeth, before looking at Kay and Romana. She shrugged very slightly.

“Yah, need teach Kay more dancing.”

She narrowed her eyes and considered her Initiate for a moment.

“You know... if you think of dancing as a type of sparring — without the cheating — you might find it makes more sense. Follow Romana’s lead; you’re working together, yah? If someone tries to cut in...” Dazi winked. “...then you cheat.”

Daxia continued her surveillance of the area, watching in particular for the Rhoni... waiting with as much patience as she could muster for Kisa to return to her side... while also being aware of Lord Tray, Dominic’s servants, her sister, her Initiate, her Eastern friend, her Hunter friend... and Longtooth.

"Everything is bad except unicorns." -- Phoebe
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

Well that hadn't gone as planned. For a moment he is dazed, partly from shock and also from two blows in quick succession, neither of which were anticipated.

Leaning up against the wall she had so recently vacated, he is glad of its solidity as his eyes follow Darian's wake. It takes a few moments to work out what is going on. Kathi and Daxia side by side squaring off against.. Longtooth? Darian obviously going in to contain her hound.

In view of the 'welcome' he just had, he thinks staying here is a better option. Touching his nose gingerly, he mops away some blood on his kerchief.

Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Talantal, the Grand Duchy of Talantal
Noonish, Midsummer's Day

Bekkah, Cesare, Kathi, Darcy, Marcy, Romana and Tray

The most important happened first.

The growling snarkhound immediately stepped back, answering his partner's words. Three easy lopes and Longtooth sat down next to Darian.

Though he still gave the little one, the small girl now hidden behind her Master's elder brother, a very suspicious look. Predator looking at prey ... and perhaps something more. The snarkhound shifted his weight from paw to paw, as if a bit uncomfortable.

Also uncomfortable was Cesare, battered a bit now and the recipient of several knowing looks from he witnesses.

"Cor ... you never leave any lassie like that ..."

"Ow ... been married a fullhand now. I know what THAT feels like!"

At the same time, Dominic's servant answered Daxia.

"Kathi ..."

She ducked her head reflexively.

"And yes, I serve the Young Master ... and ... and its what family does, isn't it?"

"Yes it is."

The person answering the servant girl was Kisa, coming up on one side of Daxia while upon the other meandered Captain Koromov. Dandelion watched the interplay between Hunter and Hound, chuckling softly.

"Now that's something you don't see everyday. Takes a lot of trust ... that."

In the center of the ring the fair and bright center of attention was spun to the minstrel's music.

"Truce ..."

The blacksmith smiled, sending Bekkah twirling away before sweeping her back in.

"Or perhaps just a change of venue. Ale, a meal, tales shared around a table of friends ... and ..."

He was interrupted by a single word. One word spoken causing a hiccup in the music, half the dancers to pause.

Kay was already scrambling, her attention both snapping back to her mentor, the return of the hunter and the threat of dangerous growls and also suddenly a little overwhelmed trying to keep track of her feet, that of all people she should not be dancing with was the one leading her about, and then those nearby had the temerity to suddenly stop in their tracks, a complete halt, that sent her tumbling into her white haired partner, sending them both in a tumble through the others, ending in an awkward, sprawled tangle and a shocked gawk.

"Tray?"

The crowd's whisper echo'd Daxia's introduction, spoken from the crowd.

"Lord Tray?"

"Can' be, he's all sickly, up in there in the Keep ..."

"Wait, that's one of Lord Dominic's yes? Yes. yes she is; I recognize her, she buys her potatoes from me every other market day ..."

"And thats the small one who runs their errands ..."

"I though he was deee ... ow!"

"Wait ... who is the fire hair WITHOUT the sword ..."

"Yikes! We'v been invaded by Nobles!"

"She ain't no noble, she's our Monster! Ow!"

"Not the white haired one, the redhead you silly!"

"But she's a Princess!"

"You mean she's the one who told off Old Man Korie? Bwahahahahahahahahahaha!"

"But why does he have gray hair? He was born the same summer as I!"

"Because he's been sick, you berk."

"Oh yah. That's ... that ..."

"By the Three ... it makes sense, that's got to be him ... look ... look there ..."

One of the minstrels, his lute now silent, pointed to the center of the open space, towards Bekkah.

"She's a Lady Kind ... and NOT one of the Cathedrals.

"Ma'am! Lady! Dama!

"Did you cure our Lord Tray?

The attention of the crowd then swung, from the dancers to the table, where Mouse was now wide eyed, trying to become even smaller, eyes darting this way and that, looking for a way to escape, but she was trapped, because someone had said, keep her spear safe for her.

The Korie tucked the little ward beneath his arm.

"Does it matter? The ale is good, the music is fine, the bread warm, the company grand, isn't that what is important upon a Midsummer's afternoon?"

To that, from the matronly innkeeper's wife came a chuckle loud, the sound echoing across the ope square.

"Can't be.

"Since when does a Noble have a lick of common sense."

To which there was but one answer from the Talantal Lord.

"What can I say, I've been sick."

It was as if the entire ring broke out in laughter.

Last edited by Wolf; Sun 03/08/14 18:24 UTC.
Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Daxia Yurisdotter

Daxia chuckled and nodded to Kathi. “As is often the case,” she said as she slipped an arm around Kisa’s waist, “Dama Kisa is quite correct. Family is family is family.”

She did raise an eyebrow at Dandy’s remark, however. “Actually... that is something I see every day. Perhaps you simply haven’t met enough Hunters and their companions, da?”

Dazi looked from Longtooth to Darian once, then twice. “Yah, Dazi know Longtooth think girl prey,” she said to the ruff. “Not! Family? Yah, Dazi confuse Longtooth with big family. Dazi, Kadri, Dominie, Kathi, Mouse-girl. Ha. So. No prey here.”

Then she looked at Kisa, happy... very happy. “May I present Hunter Darian and her companion Longtooth, two members of my wee band of interesting folk whom I consider family.”

She eyed Longtooth again. “Yah. Family. You.” Then smiled at both Hunter and Hound. “Darian, Longtooth... this Kisa. Dazi heart-friend.” A puzzled look briefly flashed across her face as she tilted her head. “Where Jankin? Like Kisa know Jankin, too.”

The familiar albeit shocked gawk caught the Starrider’s attention moments later, and she looked to the side where Kay and Romana sprawled in a tangle of light and dark. She bit her lip to keep from laughing... or giggling... or even chuckling, but she couldn’t keep from shaking her head.

“Dama Kay,” she said sternly, “if you think this sort of behavior, even on Midsummers Day, will in any way convince me you have learned the lesson I set before you on the road from Highside Heather...”

The day was too glorious with Kisa right here! With her! Dazi couldn’t maintain the facade any longer, and laughed.

“...well, yes. It does begin to convince me. You’ll want to untangle yourselves there before you get trampled, yes?”

She was keenly aware of the talk around her, and her inadvertent outing of Tray as a Noble. He seemed to take it in stride, however, charming the common folk of his city just as easily as his youngest brother managed to charm his way into her own affections.

Oh, make no mistake... Dazi thought Dominic Korie was very naughty, and definitely played fast and loose with truth. Still, he was undeniably charming.

She did grin at the matronly woman who inquired about Nobles and their possession of common sense, and could certainly see the resemblance of personality between eldest and youngest brothers in Tray’s response.

“I do apologize, m’lord, for inadvertently alerting your folk to your presence,” she said quite sincerely. “However, it does seems a far more delightful way to learn of your renewed health than from rumors and whispers because the Heralds neglected to venture so close to the edge of the city.”

Looking between Kisa and Tray, she said, “I’ve no doubt you know of one another, in part thanks to a young rapscallion I happened to meet in Bordertown,” she said them as she rolled her eyes... just a bit, “but I would be honored to make proper introductions.”

Daxia stepped back from Kisa’s side only far enough to give the two Nobles a perfectly executed and very Courtly curtsy — although the enormous smile on her face would have made it seem a bit odd if they’d actually been in court. She returned to Kisa’s side to tuck the Heir back into her embrace.

“Dama, may I present Lord Tray Korie, Seneschal of the Noble Family Korie and the Grand Duchy of Talantal?”

The redhead — the bolder, brasher, and contentedly more Common of the two — looked at the the Korie seated with a Mouse in his lap, who was trying her best to hide while at the same time gripping a Dayalan spear as though it was the most important job in the world. It was a delightfully charming sight.

“My Lord, may I present Dama Kisa Allaine, Heir of the Noble Family Allaine of Dawnview Vale?”

Duty — as pleasant as it was — completed, Daxia looked toward the spot where she last saw Bekkah. If she managed to catch her sister’s eye, Dazi’s look would definitely give the message, Go have fun!

Then she looked over at Cesare, raised an eyebrow, and touched the bridge of her nose with her free hand. She mouthed, Are you okay?

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

He is staring at Darian's back, still wondering what had happened. Did she know he had tried to welcome her or had she mistaken him for someone else? And if she did know it was him.. then.. well he guesses that he gets the message.

He sees Daxia, close to Darian, looking over in his direction, asking if he is OK. Well this won't be the first blooded nose he's has and nothing seems broken but his pride at least is dented.. maybe more..

He shrugs in response, remaining where he is.

Bekkah

She twirled away, then back snuggly into the big man's arms.

"If one's dinner conversation is as good as one's dancing, then I would be honored to share ale and food." She most definitely would not promise more. Not to any man upon meeting him.

Then the pair finally noticed the commotion and others were asking if she'd healed Lord Tray.

She nodded. "I did." she said simply looking over at the others, her eyes raised at the mess Kay and Romana were making of the dance.

She of Chaos
She of Chaos
Darian

As soon as the snarkhound was at her side, she slipped off the bow to inspect it for moisture from the ale spill. Her fingers dug into a pouch and pulled out a soft, dry cloth. She checked both wood and string closely though she did also notice Dazi's introduction.

"Hoi, Kisa. Darian happy meet."

The spatters were light but enough to make her frown and spend extra time in those spots where they occured.

"Jankin say must go. Jankin go, no say where. Darian no ask."

Bow cleaned off, she slipped it back over her shoulder.

"Darian need ale," she stated.

Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Daxia Yurisdotter

Dazi nodded at the information about Jankin.

“Dayala say Dazi do this, do that... Dazi go. Same for Jankin, his God, maybe. Okay, yah.

“No need go Dirkwood now; we go for Jankin,” she said absently as she watched Darian clean her bow. “Help him maybe do good.”

The Dayalan looked at the Hunter quizzically when she returned her bow to its proper place.

“Darian know she whack Cesare... not stranger?”

She glanced between Darian and Cesare, who remained by the wall, her expression a mixture of concern and confusion.

She of Chaos
She of Chaos
Darian

She glanced back over her shoulder to see the Rhoni leaning against the wall and shrugged.

"Darian no say okay, no touch. Darian no pet."

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

As he is watching her, he sees Darian turn around. No sign of welcome, no sign of an apology, no desire for his company obviously.

He has no idea what has caused this. Maybe her time away caused her to reconsider?

Hard to take but he can at least keep his dignity and maybe make things easier for her. Pushing off the wall, he moves away from the dancing, heading back the way he came.

Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Daxia Yurisdotter

Dazi looked at Darian, nodded slowly and simply said “Yah,” drawing the word out to match the confusion she was working through. “Darian no pet, true.”

Then she looked over at Cesare as he began walking away, her brows drawing together as she instinctively drew Kisa closer. Then she looked at the woman in the circle of her arm, emotions flaring... many of which she decidedly had no desire to hide. This wasn’t court. And it was Midsummer.

She looked back at her friend, resting her cheek on Kisa’s soft red hair that was so much more tame than her own... flowing long and beautiful, in contrast to her wild, wavy and considerably shorter mop.

“Dazi know this. Dazi think Cesare know this. Dazi think Cesare feel many strong things for Darian. Cesare let feelings splash all over Darian like demon melt all over Dazi, yah? Darian remember mess then, yah?”

She gave a somewhat exaggerated shudder at the memory, smiling sickly as she looked at the Hunter.

“And is Midsummer. Time for happiness. Time okay for everyone be not usual self, yah?”

Her eyes twinkled with delight as she lifted her head to plant a quick kiss on Kisa’s cheek before giggling and saying to Darian, to Kisa... really to anyone who happened to be listening, “Dazi always think, even write tell Bekkah, boys sometimes very silly. At festival time?”

She paused to smile slyly at the Korie lord, then snorted and nodded knowingly in Cesare’s direction.

“Dazi think boys silliest at festival time. Dazi not understand them.”

Her smile softened as she looked at Darian.

“Maybe only yesterday Cesare see Darian... and year almost since Dazi see Kisa. Dazi feel like Cesare, so happy see Kisa Dazi want be silly like Cesare. But Dazi not silly as Cesare. Maybe used to be before demon and curse and many bad things, yah?”

She knew she could explain the thoughts running through her head so much better if she didn’t use her Dawnview dialect — likely Sapphire Lake region, or possibly even The Jambles because she couldn’t even remember if it was her father’s speech pattern she imitated or her mother’s — but she also knew that too many words would be counterproductive when talking to Darian.

She just shrugged, then sighed.

“Darian get ale. Dazi think Cesare need ale, too.

“Dazi think Dazi need remember silly.”

She wrapped both arms around the Heir of Allaine, spun the two of them in a tight circle — for there really wasn’t much room for anything else — then set Kisa back on her feet before giving her a chaste, but certainly more proper, kiss on her lips.

“There. Dazi be little silly.”

The Dayalan looked sidelong at the Hunter.

“Darian tell Cesare too much silly spill on Hunter not good idea, maybe? Think Cesare maybe too silly for Darian. But think maybe Darian forget is Midsummer, yah? Know Longtooth forget! Longtooth need ale too! Fun, fun! Go, go!”

She sighed and smiled.

“Dazi stay with Kisa. Darian say words for Rhoni... or smack again. Is Midsummer. Whatever fun, you do. Dazi not need know. No, no, no. Dazi ride unicorn. Not need know all everything!”

She reached out a hand to rest fingers ever so lightly on the Hunter’s arm.

“Darian, Cesare have good feelings together. Dazi not like see broken Path seeing. Darian, Cesare can mend Path. Dazi know.”

Her blue eyes seemed to plead with the Hunter as she lowered her hand and twined her fingers in Kisa’s.

“Dazi only not know if broken Path want fixed. Only Darian, Cesare know.”

Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Afternoonish, Midsummer's Day

Bekkah and a Blacksmith, Cesare, Kathi, Darcy, Marcy and Tray, Romana and Kay, Kisa and Daxia, Darian and Longtooth and an Innkeeper's Wife.

The Mistress of the Inn raised her hands above her and clapped them loud and sure.

***clap***clap***clap***

"The Lady wishes dinner! Ale! Food! Tables! Benches!"

From one flurry of activity the makeshift square transformed to another. The dancers broke up, the lassies scattering to the surrounding shops, the laddies much closer as from the tavern tables were dragged, benches and chairs hove to. It was its own sudden and domestic ballet, tables set end to end to form a single long line and at the head of it was the one that was already occupied by Tray Korie. As the tables and chairs were set down the womenfolk returned with gingham spreads and wooden goblets and cups of all shapes and sizes. From the surrounding shops came plates of bread, buckets of beer and ale, pastries and bowls of hot vegetables - while from the tavern itself was summoned hanks of venison and steak, whole chickens, turkey, goose and one very unlucky duck.

This was different than what was done in the upper rings, in the fancy halls of the Kories.

In those halls there would be ranks of tables set in proper order.

Here, one long length - like one big family.

The twins found themselves being ushered towards the nominal Father's end - close to the Korie, each flanked by two young lads, each determined to make sure hey didn't have to reach for anything at their feast. Marcy looked to Darcy and Darcy looked to Marcy and both raised their hands, palms upwards, shoulders shrugging, surrendering themselves.

"Kindness. Duty. Honor. Humility."

Darcy proclaimed in an aristocratic whisper. To which Marcy leaned forward and looking around two boys answered,

"Kindness, duty, honor, humility and they actually, really, really like us!"

"I hope you don't mind a boarding house reach?"

The Blacksmith smiled to Bekkah as he promenaded her to a bench in the middle of things. A bench big enough for two, ducking a goblet into a cold bucket for the country lady before taking his place next to her - midsummer's close and just the right height for resting a head upon a shoulder. The food smelled delicious and as they sat plates were set out like stones skipped across a lake.

"It has been a long time since I've had company at my meal. I hope you don't find conversation about horseshoes and hinges boring, or that working a wheel rim late into the night sends sparks up against the black sky dancing like fireflies."

Meanwhile, at the head of the table, there was an exclamation of absolute shock.

"Kisa Allaine? It is a pleasure, my brother has spoken ... spoken ... spoken .. wait, wait one heartbeat, go back, what did you say? Seneschal of the Noble Family Korie and the Grand Duchy of Talantal? Seneschal! Aieee! I'm not out and about a single day - when did they make me anything, much less Seneschal!

Tray Korie closed his eyes.

"It was right after I left court, wasn't it?"

Mouse was silent, but she bobbed her head up and down several times, nodding in the affirmative.

"My Father is a slimey sleeze and my brother is a wart upon a slimey sleeze."

A few hands down one of the more successful of the days revelers lifted his head from the table and raising his mug all shaky and bleary eyed, offered an inebriated toast,

"I'll drink to that!"

"Felky, you'll drink to anything!"

"Aye-yup!"

Next to Daxia, Kisa simply let herself be tucked in, returning to the Lord Korie a proper ducking of her head.

"Well met. I too have heard of you - your brother seldom talks of anyone else when we are together.

"We are both dependent on your brother's word. Which begs the question, just how much can anyone trust Dominic Domine Korie.

"He's a true rapscallion. But he's a good ..."

"TCHA!"

The conversation between Tray and Kisa was suddenly interrupted as Captain Koromov suddenly came to a fel realization and crossed her arms, her calm demeanor suddenly and obviously annoyed.

"That's right. He's not here and I am. And its's Midsummers. Sea and Stars and all the Prince's Horse, who am I going to hang from the rafters now? Your brother is an inconsiderate lout, Lord Tray."

Immediately half a dozen of the nearby menfolk took a sudden, quick two steps back.

Captain Koromov scanned the crowd - her gaze falling upon Kathi. Then it swiveled, leveling upon a retreating Rhoni.

"Maybe him."

Kisa frowned a bit, her gaze slipping in a triangle - Cesare to Koromov to Kathi - before she turned her attention to Hunter and Snarkhound, returning to them a bow of her head, same as she had Troy.

"Longtooth and Darian. It is good to finally have faces to put to names and words. Thank you ... youuu ... oooouuuueeeeeeeeeeeeek!"

Totally caught off guard, an heiress was spun around, her feet sailing off the ground and her arms wrapping around Daxia so very tight. And then there was a kiss wich created cheeks as red as tangled crimson locks.

"... this is ..."

Kisa gasped, shaky on her feet.

" ... silly?"

Burying her head in the Dayalan's shoulder she whispered, muffled but bright.

"You always surprise me."

Looking up, the young woman rested her chin on her companion's shoulder, finally deciding to speak.

"I am not a pet. But I am cared for.

"In the end, thats all that matters, da?"

Though Darian was, by far, not the only disgruntled voice in the square.

"No smooshing our Monster-Lady!"

Needless to say, amidst the bustle of food and furniture, a tangle of initiates did not go unnoticed. Children are both immortal and fearless; Kay found as many small hands pulling her off Romana as Romana found pushing her up.

"Are you squooshed?"

"You dance real real bad."

"Wait, I get to sit next to her!"

"No you don't."

"Why not! I helped her up! That makes me a Hero!"

"You are still a stinky boy!"

"AM NOT! I had a bath! I did. Really. Honestly. Truth. This morning. I am NOT lying!"

Dusting herself off Kay shook her head.

"HUSH! or I'll send you to the kid's table! I'll sit next to her!"

"No you won't!"

"Gawk?"

"No Smooshers allowed!"

Romana found herself herded to the table.

Resigned, Kay walked to the head of the table and from a very small servant retrieved her spear.

"Did good. Danks."

She turned around and walked back along the line of the table, reaching over a tailor's shoulder to requisition a big roll that she broke almost in half ... and then from one of Darcy's young rakes - since he obviously wasn't looking, used her roll clamshell to snare a hunk of venison. She ended up standing, a step away from the table, where she could look down upon an easterner and her impromptu retainers - who argued amoungst themselves as fervently as they vied for the white haired Atteran's favor.

"Kids."

She wasn't much older than they were, a far off midsummers ages ago. before she was taken from her home. She wrapped one of her arms around her tall spear, leaning upon it hard. She took a big, deep bite of her makeshift sandwich.

"I wish you could see this, Lily-kins."

She kept her watch, second shield bearer from the right, as one of daughters of Talantal finally succumbed to a very long morning and slept with her head in a monster's lap.

"Maybe .. just maybe ...

"Everything was all worth it."

Last edited by Wolf; Mon 11/08/14 17:39 UTC.
Bekkah

She let the big man escort her to the table noticing Darcy and MArcy who seemed to be enjoying themselves. She'd certainly had a Midsummer's she'd never forget.

"Thank you sir." she said a smile when he offered her drink.

She waved him away when he apologized about his conversation.

"I could entertain you with the effects of various herbs good and bad." she said laughing.

"Tell me this sir. First your name and secondly where you learned to dance so well."

"For my part, I am Bekkah Yurisdotter, and the redhead down at the other end with the sword on her hip is my baby sister. All the family I have in the world."

Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Afternoon, Midsummer's Day

Bekkah and a Blacksmith, Cesare, Kathi, Darcy, Marcy and Tray, Romana and Kay, Kisa and Daxia, Darian and Longtooth and an Innkeeper's Wife.

The blacksmith straightened a bit, the shift bumping shoulders with his companion, in a companionable manner.

"I must admit that the length and breath of my knowledge of plants rests with being able to recognize the difference between prickle and itchy-root, that allo is good for burns and you can add sheep sorrel to a salad."

He then smiled and properly poured Bekkah a tall mug of ale as he made sure her plate was filled first.

"That is a very pretty name; its from up east, isn't it? Near the mountains?"

He then leaned back, his brow raising just a bit.

"Definitely from the mountains. I've got that farmergirl's destrier in my stalls getting new shoes."

He nodded past Daxia and Kisa to the Koromov captain.

"Dancing? That's easy. Three younger sisters. And me? I'm mostly called Smith.

"My given name is Finnian.

"You can call me Finn."

Bekkah

Once he had his own ale, she held up her mug to his.

"To new friendships." she said offering a toast to him.

"Yes, indeed. I'm impressed. My sister and I are from Danwview, well to the NorthEast, although I have not been home in many years. My calling has led me to almost every village imaginable. And that is the secret of my dancing knowledge. I do not think of myself as a noble lady. I have always believed I am a Healer for the People."

"That's what made your challenge humorous to me. I hope it was a pleasant surprise Finn." she added her blue eyes sparkling.

Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Kadri, Mikal in tow, looks around ... Then moves towards tray.

"Lord Tray ... If I might ... I would have a ... Request ... To make of you?"

Last edited by Art in the Blood; Sun 17/08/14 23:55 UTC.
She of Chaos
She of Chaos
Darian

The Hunters eyes slipped back and forth between Dazi and Kisa resting of course on Dazi as the red head spoke. Her eyes and nose scrunched up as she listened. Dazi she understood better than the other.

One thing was certain.

"Darian, Longtooth need ale, food."

She glanced back once more to see the Rhoni trying to sidle away. She frowned, a Pack member would do no such thing. But he was not a Pack member; he was Rhoni.

She let out a frustrated noise, gave Dazi and Kisa a nod then turned on her heel.

"Longtooth," she chuffed, calling him to her side, and strode towards Cesare catching up quickly. She tapped him lightly in the back of the head.

"Cesare head rock."

Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Daxia Yurisdotter

Dazi looked at the Korie lord, trying not to smile too much. The little one called Mouse answered him with only nods; Tray didn’t seem to be enthusiastically rejoicing at the appointment.

“Well, m’lord... you did leave the chamber. So they packaged you up right well, and slipped a pretty bow on the package, too.” The Dayalan shrugged. “The Heir thought it fair enough, as you quite cleverly removed your predecessor from the position.”

Her eyes darted in Kay’s direction, and she muttered to herself, “How is one to keep Korie happy when none of them can agree on what makes them happy? Maybe long ago Kories agreed on more?”

Nodding to Darian, she simply said, “Yah. Ale, food... good.” She watched Darian head in Cesare’s direction, catch up to him, and did not snicker. No. Not even a little. Maybe a little.

Dazi looked then between the two Nobles, shaking her head as she exclaimed, “HA! I’m beginning to think I should trust Dom Dominie about as far as I could throw him, which I’ve been told is probably a bad idea. Or was that just skewing him? Well, in either case, the rapscallion is a fine storyteller, and there seems to be no distinction to him between truth... and half-truth... and wild imagination.”

She looked at her Temple sister, and refrained from giggling in response to Dandy’s displeasure at not being able to hang the youngest Korie lord from the rafters. Her eyes followed the direction that Captain Koromov’s took... but added Darian to her gaze.

“Perhaps if the two offended by his actions require assistance in hanging him...?” she suggested.

She laughed with true joy at Kisa’s question.

“This is just one silly thing. I’ve been told — once or twice, or so many times I’ve lost count — that I think too much. Can you even imagine such a thing?” she asked the blushing Heir with mock indignation.

Dazi smiled at Kisa’s quiet whisper, and nodded to her more publicly spoken words.

“I am your Knight, m’lady,” she said with a wink, “as your Favor continues to remind me each and every day. I believe I am required to surprise you. On occasion. In ways that m’lady finds pleasing.”

The Knight of Dawnview Castle closed her eyes for a moment, nodding slowly. Sometimes knowing too much history — even if it was distorted with ambiguity and lacking in facts and important details — made possibilities for the present seem all the more terrifying.

“Da.” Daxia smiled at Kisa as she opened her eyes. “You are very much cared for... it is not your Knight’s duty, but your friend’s honor and joy to keep your heart warm... and never let even the barely hint of ice near you.”

The Starrider’s eyes sparkled in Her light... perhaps at another time, in another place, before the world beyond Snowgate Pass had taught her hard and harsh lessons, she might have allowed tears to form and fall. Even the conversations from fifth ring to first should have brought tears to her eyes, though for different reasons. Today, she merely looked into Kisa’s eyes, memorizing each discrete feature of her beloved’s face — from the curl of her eyelashes to slightly crooked way she smiled when she was truly happy, from the dimple on one side of her mouth to the light scattering of freckles barely noticeable across her nose.

“And you, Kisa’shka, make me sometimes wish I was but an ordinary swordswoman, destined for nothing greater than perhaps the Captain of your Guard.” She chuckled. “Kassia wouldn’t even bother to call me a cobble block for that... she’d just throw something at my head. Ah, but I am the partner of the Greatest Font and Hub of All Knowledge, and I get the impression that those of us who have caught the attention of a unicorn are simply not allowed to be ordinary. It’s likely against the rules that I know nothing about, but that Morning Star will be Gracious and Magnanimous enough to share with me.” She paused, tilting her head. “Yes, I believe that’s a new one... gracious.”

The hubbub surrounding Romana and Kay could not help but catch her attention. She managed to hide her surprise at Romana allowing herself to be pushed and pulled, though just barely. Yes, they were all just children... but she quite clearly remembered Romana strongly implying that anyone who got close to her was in danger. As good as dead, Dazi had thought at the time. Still, they were just children. And Romana did look a bit ill at ease.

Odd, wasn’t it, that Romana had been as terrified of her — a Dayalan Initiate hardly older than the Princess herself — as she had been of the Eastern soldiers and mage following her? And now, a few months later, there was Morning Star’s assertion that Romana seemed almost mesmerized by Dayalans? Certainly drawn to them.

Perhaps it wasn’t the fascination with Order that Daxia had initially thought. Perhaps was something as simple as... well, Dayalans were safe. Taught that all things from the East were evil, yes... but more than capable of defending themselves and those they swore to protect, even to their own deaths if it came to that. Even with the protection Romana had before she set her Friends free, it was a dangerous kind of protection on this side of the Black Mountains. And beyond that, there was the safety of women who swore oaths of celibacy and respected the peculiar boundaries Romana set... for far different reasons than honorable men would.

True, Lady Attera now offered her the same protection She gave all the women in Her order... and traveling with, learning from Bekkah was possibly the safest place Romana could be if certain Dayalans were occupied elsewhere. Bekkah liked to deny it — not that Dazi could blame her, really — but she was very much loved by the people of the Tarn. Still, sometimes it was good to have a sword and spear you could trust if a situation turned ugly.

However, Daxia was watching Kay even more closely...

Noting her surprise — and was that disappointment? — at being excluded from Romana’s entourage...

Feeling a sense of pride in her little Sister when she praised the wee lass who had kept such good care of her spear...

Smiling softly at Kay’s stealth and practicality at snaring a meal...

And finally, seeing the youngster’s fierce determination in standing guard over Romana.

“I think I’m going to make up a new rule about proper Dayalan behavior, maybe,” she whispered to Kisa as she moved to tuck the Heir’s arm in the crook of her own. “Do assist me, my Lady, in educating the poor, dear children.” She sighed dramatically. “Yes, I suppose we do need more of us outside the Vale. No one seems to know our customs. Not even the ones I’m about to make up!”

She led Kisa down the length of the table to stand near Romana and Kay, catching Kay’s comments as she approached. She addressed her Initiate, her expression grave.

“Shield-bearer, I see you have ceded your right and proper place at the side of Lady Romana to these young ruffians. Very noble of you, Squire.” Daxia forced away other, darker, thoughts... pushed away the emotions those thoughts carried... and managed to feign a hidden smile.

Her gaze slid to the child on the side of Romana who was awake. “And look at you, sitting beside the Lady, where her Protector should be on a Festival Day. Such a lucky youngling you are! You know that Miss Kay was really protecting Lady Romana from getting stepped on, yes? Not purposefully... what was the delightful word I heard you using? Squooshed? An excellent word, young miss. But no, no... it’s certainly not something my Squire would do on purpose. She might not be the best dancer you’ll see today, but she is definitely the best shield woman you will ever see in all your whole life, I don’t doubt. Certainly the best I’ve seen. She even saved my life one time, so I trust her to keep Lady Romana safe.”

The elder Dayalan looked at the empty space — just barely enough room for her and Kisa to squeeze in among a throng of children. But it was very nearly the best place to be on this fine day, for Bekkah was seated across the table chatting with her handsome dance partner.

“Would my Lady care to join me among the ruffians?” she asked Kisa, grinning. Glancing back at the children, she looked wide-eyed... affecting a surprised look... and possibly looking a little silly in the process.

“Oh, goodness, I hope you don’t mind if my friend, Dama Kisa, and I sit here with you, do you?” Letting her hand slip into Kisa’s, she bent down to whisper to a couple of the children. “See the pretty Lady of Attera across the table? She’s my big sister. If we, Kisa and I, can sit with you, then I’ll be able to tease her about that handsome man she’s been dancing with. Do you have big sisters or brothers you like to tease? Kisa is a little bit shy, and it’s my job to protect her just like Miss Kay protects Lady Romana. It would be so nice of you to let us join you.”

She straightened and let the youngsters work it out among themselves what the pecking order might be. There always was one... that held true among all children she’d ever met. She’d always been an outsider... and so had Kisa, for different reasons. She found children fascinating.

In small doses.

She stepped back slightly, twisting a bit so she could lean in close and whisper to Kay but not need to let go of Kisa’s hand.

“Lily-kins is one of the stars that shines each night, little Sister; I believe she knows. And perhaps our Sisters who’ve gone before us can see through our Lady’s eyes during the day.

“And yes. Yes, every sacrifice we make is worth the cost if we defend the defenseless, if we honor our Lady. We buy time, Kay. Lily-kins and your Sisters bought time for the Knights of Roth. And in saving Romana, I bought what I hope is a great deal of time for us to recover enough before the East rises again. You are here for a reason that perhaps only Dayala knows now. But you have done very well.

“Very well indeed, Kay. I’m proud of you. And Lily Allaine, whichever Star she might be, is too.”

She turned back to the children, to see how they’d arranged themselves so she and Kisa could squeeze in, hugging Kisa in the process.

And yes, quite likely to give Kay a chance to have a moment with her own thoughts for Lily.

[OOC: Just so you know, O GM, this was written LONG before the PM in which Kisa and Dazi have a similar conversation. razz Also, FYI for the newcomers, we’ve all cleared off before you get to Tray.]

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

Wrapped in his own thoughts with all the noise and bustle of Midsummers around them, he is surprised at the tap on his back and turns swiftly, ducking as he sees Darian.

This time though she speaks to him, though he is not quite sure what she is saying. Is she somehow saying it is his fault?

His instinctive reaction is anger, coupled with a desire to lash out - at least verbally. His eyes narrow, his face set but as he sees her.. and the memories of all the times they have shared over the months come flooding in, he knows he cares for her more than he has ever cared for any other female he has been involved in.

He takes a deep breath, swallows his pride - at least for a moment - and decides that truth, despite what it might cost him personally is probably the best way to salvage something he believes is worth salvaging.. even if he isn't sure right now what Darian wants...

"I've missed you"

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Mikal

He turns the corner and enters the street outside the inn just ahead of Kadri, still slightly annoyed from the encounter with Talia Montague. Had he not been contracted to Kadri he may very well have taken Tali over his knee and given her the spanking she richly deserved, and to heck with the repercussions.

Approaching the inn, and seeing the midsummer festivities removes that annoyance, at least temporarily. He pauses, to one side, to not block the street and takes in those present and their activities.

He sees Bekkah, and Romana. Cesare and Darian. And the others. He sees Daxia scoop up Kisa and whisper with her and then turn to say something to Kay.

He sees Captain Dandy standing to one side, arms folded and slightly scowling and he moves directly over to her.

Stopping in front of her, he offers his best peasant bow and says. "Where I grew up it was considered bad luck to scowl such as that on Midsummers. I have been told I am a decent dancer. At least I have never had any complaints and I don't step on toes." He holds out his right hand, palm open. "Might I have a dance?"

Where he grew up it was unheard of to refuse an offer to dance on Midsummer's, but he doesn't know Dayallan customs so he isn't quite sure of the response.

Last edited by Zeim; Mon 18/08/14 18:43 UTC.
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Afternoon, Midsummer's Day

"Well, of course, one hears tales ..."

Finn smiled as he tapped mugs with Bekkah,letting her rest comfortable next to him. The ale was cool, the food hot and delicious and the servings those not of fancy fourth ring taverns but farmhouse sized.

"I prefer, however, meeting the tales face to face. They are always more real.

"Now, in my trade - I could be working the third and fourth rings of this city. But I prefer here, the first. No, I don't get to travel the length and breath of the mainland...

"On the other hand, I have Winnifredrica in my stalls, Nightmare and Darkmane have passed through, Sir Kevin's and his Squire's ... more Marrennen than you can shake a coin purse at ... when I lean upon the rails before my smithy, I see the length and breath of the mainland pass by me.

"Sometimes I get to dance.

"And then its a very good day."

As for Mikal, his entreaty was met by a quirked brow and a still crossed arms.

"You missed the passion play, laddie. And I've always called them as I see them. As for you ..."

Hr shoulders rose and fell.

"Your timing has always been a bit off. That said, let's see if they have any Amber here, requisition some rare venison and snare some fresh bread to dunk in the gravy.

"And find a bench ... which might not be the hardest task at the moment. When She falls a bit and the afternoon cools, the minstrel's will start up again.

"Then we can dance."

For Kadri, especially for Kadri, Kathi stood quietly behind the Korie Lord, drawing herself up properly, before her Young Master's brother and his wife. Tray looked up from where he sat, taking a small sip of his drink.

"It's Midsummer's ... what do you wish?"

He then gave Daxia a look, just a look.

"I had forgotten that tactic. Too much Horses and Castles and not enough courtly subterfuge"

A brief exchange, before the Dayalan and Heiress swept themselves away.

"My Knight ..."

Kisa walked quietly next to Daxia, as they slipped down the long table towards their other companions. To one side, just beyond the tangle serving folks and those partaking the feast - those serving and those not trading back and forth - Darian and Cesare continued in their own conversation and explanations.

Kay raised her head when Daxia approached, returning a nod for the wrpds.

"Danks ..."

She looked up a bit, covering her eyes with a hand held flat as she looked towards Her light.

"Lily-kins always did say the stars sparkle brightest upon a Midsummer's night. I think ... I think we just have to believe that, ja?"

Romana, however, had a different reaction to the consequences of Daxia's speech.

" .... eeeeeeeeeessshki!"

Romana eeked. The eek was the unexpected result of a Dayalan's query - one was that just watched by Kisa, her emerald eyes very sharp. A scholarly investigation of the dynamics of children.

"No! Go away! She's our Nice Monster Lady!"

"Shouldn't You be standing behind Her ..."

"Sister? She'd your sister? But she's so pretty!"

"My sister makes me eat broccoli."

The eep came when the children made their decision. Aye, they did make room for Daxia and Kisa at the table. By seeing how many they could fit in Romana's lap or snugged up against her. Romana swallowed, hard, her expression one of confusion.

"Right."

Kay observed from where she stood, leaning on her spear.

"Like you didn't see that coming."

<< apologies for the week ... sick computer ... should be back by Monday >>

Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Daxia Yurisdotter

“Da. And I believe it,” the Starrider assured her Initiate. “While one or two of the priestesses might have said I had an excessive amount of imagination for believing that the Stars celebrated Midsummers along with us, as Verchovai Kassia never called me a cobble block on those occasions I took that to mean... I wasn’t necessarily wrong.”

Though she could not pay attention to Bekkah and her dancing partner, a single word that he said did catch her attention. She tucked that little tidbit away for later. Perhaps much later, as it could well lead to another lengthy, and likely confusing, conversation with His Magnificence. Daxia chose, instead, to focus on the children. Addressing each of them... each of their very important concerns.

Your Nice Monster Lady?! Goodness, it’s hardly even been half the day, and already the Lady has been claimed.” Dazi shook her head in what could have been disbelief. “You all are quite clever.”

She looked at another child who spoke up, and nodded. “Yes, most days I should stand behind her. And you’re absolutely right about that. Festivals days are different, though... ya? And besides, we’re family. Fullhand or more times sideways cousins or something.”

Dazi needed to bend down to the next little one’s level to look across the table at Bekkah. “I know. She’s one of the prettiest Ladies I’ve ever seen, and sometimes it’s hard to believe she’s my sister. We don’t look even a little bit alike.” She looked at the child. “Well, except we both have blue eyes, like our Mama. I do try to be as nice as she is, though. But she’s so nice, too, that it’s hard!”

Looking at the other little one, the redhead nodded. “My sister didn’t, but my teacher made me eat broccoli. Bleeeh!” She pretended to shudder. “But I started liking it once I became a grown up. So I think it’s really grown up food, and children should never, ever have to eat it. Nobody listens to me about broccoli, though. Or a lot of other things either.”

When the children made room for them, Dazi looked at Romana as she sat down. She looked at all the children laying claim to her friend, then the confused look on the Easterner’s face.

“Romana okay.”

It was not a question; it was a statement of fact.

“Children not hurt Romana.

“Romana not hurt children.

“Kay... Dazi... all here... not let anyone hurt children. Or Romana.”

She smiled a smile Romana had seen several times before. It was a happy, sad, wonder-filled smile that said, as Dazi had once tried to explain, If Dazi could hug Romana, and both Dazi and Romana stay safe from Romana’s nightmares, then Dazi would hug Romana. Dazi can’t, so Dazi just give Romana hug with smile.

“Happy Midsummers, Romana. Dazi think if Mother see Romana now, Mother say, Proud of you, Romi. Dazi say, too.”

She just looked over her shoulder at Kay, grinned broadly and winked, before turning her attention to her dearest, most beloved friend. Family style, reach and grab dining was probably not something Kisa had much experience with, so Dazi made sure there was ale in both mugs — as well as a mug for Kay when she decided to slake her thirst — and plenty food on both plates. Oh, perhaps there was some giggling over one thing or another... perhaps there was a whispered endearment or two... and there was very definitely a Dayalan sitting as close as humanly possible to an Heiress while still allowing them to eat and drink.

One of the giggles preceded a comment regarding Kisa’s observation of the children. “There’s no point in trying to figure them out,” she whispered. “As soon as you think you do, they’re off in a different, highly improbable direction.” She glanced at all the little ones, then cocked her head slightly up the road they’d traveled from the Fifth Ring. “You know... if I was told that the sisters of His Magnificence watched over children, I would not be the least bit surprised.”

She thought back to a particular day — it seemed so long ago now — when she’d come to a hard realization sitting in the Dayalan Temple in Dawnview Vale.

No... it wouldn’t surprise her at all.

Eventually, though, she looked across the table with a bright smile and happiness in her eyes once again.

“Hoi, Bekkah! I saw some of your dancing,” she said, glancing between her sister and the man with her. “You get better every year, and I’m only the tiniest bit jealous... not even enough to tease you horribly. Who is your partner, about whom songs should be written for his ability to keep up with you?”

Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Kadri:

"If I go traveling, I have fears that ... certain people who may be annoyed with me over recent events ... might be inclined to take things out on those who are in my - and Dominic's - service. They are good people, and deserve much better than that, and I would not see them hurt by my absence ..."

She pauses for thought for a moment.

"Is it possible." she pauses a moment. "That you could do me the favor of allowing me to ... lend ... you my staff when I am absent? As far as I can tell, they are comfortable with you, and I think you like them. And I believe it would be better they are gainfully employed with a purpose - and someone present to look after their best interests then to be set adrift in my - in our - absence. I would not see them hurt. Because -"

She pauses.

"Because in that case I might find myself forced to do something impolitic. And perhaps we do not want that? Because when I choose to be impolitic -"

She smiles wryly.

"It can be a doozy."

"I do not know, have not met you as such - yet to hear Domini speak of you. I trust you"

Last edited by Art in the Blood; Sun 24/08/14 02:39 UTC.
Bekkah

She listened to him talk, more impressed with the man than before. There was a grace of spirit within the man. A nobility in fact. Something she would not say to him. Like her the word carried a negative connotation at times.

"You intrigue me more and more Finn." she said gracing him with a beautiful smile and a slight movement that put her even closer to the man if that was possible.

She smiled as Dazi sat across from her. In answer to her question, she introduced Finn.

"This my dear sister is Finn, blacksmith to the people and master dancer. Finn, meet my baby sister Daxia Yurisdotter. Dazi to me. One of the true greatest joys in my life." she said looking adoringly at her younger sister.

Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Daxia Yurisdotter

Dazi chuckled. “It’s a pleasure to meet you, Finn. Bekkah doesn’t exaggerate about the master dancer title, as I’ve never seen anyone keep up with her.” She winked. “She cheats, you know. And I’d think a master blacksmith, too, if Katshka Kirillsdotter trusts Darkmane to your care. And Winnifredrica is Fred, yes? So you have Captain Koromov’s trust, too!”

She tilted her head, resting it for a heartbeat against Kisa’s, before saying, “This is my friend Kisa... the one over here covered in children is Romana... and the fierce one behind us is Kay. Our friends.”

Dazi looked at Bekkah again and giggled. “I’m one of the greatest joys in Bekkah’s life,” she said to Finn as she snatched a chunk of carrot from Kisa’s plate, “only when I’m not getting myself hurt. Then I’m the naughtiest sister she’s ever met, and she scolds me. So I try very, very hard not to get hurt.”

She grinned at Bekkah as she popped the carrot in her mouth, and the entire time — granted, only a handful of heartbeats — she chewed and swallowed. Then she looked between Kisa and Bekkah several times, as she held Kisa’s hand.

“I’ve sure missed spending Festival days with you, Bekkah! You’re so gushy-mushy — Midwinters past was strange and doesn’t count — and I love you to bits.”

Looking a Kisa, hearing her Partner’s words echoing through her mind, she gave Kisa a dazzling smile. “I’m so happy that you’re here. I’m not as gushy-mushy as Bekkah — and you hush back there, Miss Kay — but...”

Daxia wasn’t exactly speechless, it was more a matter of having so very much to say and not even knowing where to start. She’d written to Kisa, of course, but that wasn’t the same thing as speaking the words of her heart to her beloved. She nodded once, looking at Kisa’s bright green eyes, before looking up and down the table.

Lord Tray was talking with Kadri; poor Dean didn’t look like he quite knew what he was supposed to be doing.

Cesare and Darian talking off to the side.

Dandy and Mikal heading for... a tavern? Oh, now there was a good idea! Food before dancing.

Romana trying to come to grips with her covering of children.

Kay... ah, Kay. There were far worse people to have watching your back than a Koromov.

Common town folk, so alike and so different from others she’d met from Dawnview to Cragside to Bordertown to Talantal.

Sighing contentedly, she leaned her shoulder lightly against Kisa’s. “It is a good day.”

She picked up her roll and began tearing it in half before Kay could make it disappear, and looked at Bekkah again. “Isn’t it funny, Bekkah, in all those letters we wrote back and forth that we never even entertained the idea we’d wind up traveling together?” She looked sidelong at Kisa and chuckled.

“Why didn’t we ever think of that? It’s brilliant!”

Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Wolf 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Talon475, Randal Trimmer, Kimf, Yvon, TennesseeBaron
177 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Gypsy
Member Spotlight
Miales
Miales
Conway, Ar
Forum Statistics
Forums103
Topics2,844
Posts140,774
Members177
Most Online296
Jan 19th, 2020
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
†Restricted forums can only be accessed by DreamLyrics members of the age of 18 years or older. Access which is granted by the Behind Closed Doors Procedure.
™DreamLyrics Play-by-Post. DreamLyrics Play-by-Post does not own copyright on DreamLyrics texts or graphics, except trademarked DreamLyrics logos and logotypes. The works contained in DreamLyrics are copyrighted (automatically, under the Berne Convention) by the original authors and may be available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence. (See Copyrights for details.)
Privacy Policy