Eye of the Dragon
DreamLyrics Play-by-Post
Who's Online Now
1 members (Miales), 58 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Dice Roller
You will need to enable Javascript in order to view the Dice Roller.
Games Recruiting List

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Talantal, the Grand Duchy of Talantal
Mid-Morning, Midsummer's Day

Kadri, Mikal and the Mouse, Daxia, Dandelion Koromov and Kisa Allaine and the Scamp

"Lady Jasmine is correct."

The words drifted down from the Gallery, soft and quiet, with a stilling effect. At the gallery railing stood a tall man with moppish gray hair, dressed in a tunic just this side of black ovr which was worn a deep blue Talantal surcoat. with him were Lady Bekkah Yurisdotter and Cesare - perhaps a few steps behind the servant Kathi could be glimpsed.

Marcus Korie turned, his expression grim, perhaps even dark, as he looked up to his elder brother. Dorian Korie simply stood and stared, shaking his head once, his first thought, spilling out awkward words,

"You shouldn't be here ... you are not well ..."

Lord Tray Korie held up a hand.

"My pardon Father, Khorall of Talantal Keep. And my pardon to you brother Marcus, heir to the lands of Talantal ..."

Tray Korie had chosen his words very well, very specifically. Both Kisa and Dandelion had noticed their choosing as well as each of the Eldest of each Familiy in attendance. And what was spoken in Council was law. Marcus simply nodded, resting back agains his tall chair, next to his Father.

"The coffers of House Korie should well be enough to support the temple of Attera, in all the rings. Of all the four temples theirs is the most austere- they have no libraries to keep, no horses to feed, no armor and swords to have forged. They are also the only institution in these lands that could be cursed with donation. Especially if it became known that those who have the means actually do so, being the Atterans are the only institution on the mainland where it has been historically proven that being altruistic in one's concern for them has pragmatic benefits.

"Your daughter ..."

Tray smiled and waved down from above.

" .. is absolutely correct ...as is her guardsman.

"Their counsel is wise. You should look to it."

He then looked across the hall, where a well fed and well dressed man was trying to slowly, surreptitiously, make his way towards the room's main entrance.

"The Dayalan is also correct.

"Your youngest son does care for his family.

"For without his actions I could not do this, for you and Marcus. Oh. Lord Hawthorne is here. That is good.

"Guards ..."

He called out for those at the door.

"You must place the Lord Seneschal under arrest. He will admit to theft of his Khorall's coin and rightful taxes, misappropriation of the Keep's resources and mis-management of the Korie lands made his responsibility. He will accept his punishment without defense ...

" ... or ....

"I shall ask Lord Hawthorne a question concerning apple cider."

The Seneschal's face went white, white as death, as he led away. Dorian Korie looked up at his eldest with his head tilted

"You look and sound well, son. Will it last, this time?"

Tray nodded

"I believe so. With Attera's blessing. You have this Lady to thank."

"Aye. If this sickness is broken ... "

Dorian Korie suddenly blinked and turned around, giving Kisa Allaine a sharp and sudden look.

" ... then these new ties between Talantal and Allaine are founded in more than trade. Is that not correct, Witch?"

In the silence that followed, the snowqueen just smiled.

A silence that was suddenly and brightly shattered. Kay waved her hand.

"Hoi!

"First, can someone tell me just what happened here?

"And two, can I go and make sure tall, light haired, empty headed and bereft of the ravages of common sense doesn't get herself hurt?"

Last edited by Wolf; Sat 31/05/14 18:31 UTC.
Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Verchovai Daxia Yurisdotter

She looked up at the gallery when the voice spoke. Seeing her sister, she smiled warmly... seeing Bekkah had succeeded in her task would make Dom Dominie very happy. Her eyes were suspiciously more bright than usual.

Perhaps young Dominic was not the only person happy to see Tray Korie well. The catch in their father’s voice was hardly noticeable, but it was there.

Daxia glanced at the others of the Allaine delegation. Indeed... both the Heir and the Captain of the Horde knew exactly what Tray had said.

When the Korie Khorall spoke to Kisa, Dazi had to duck her head to hide her smile. It was all she could do not to chuckle.

But then she looked up at Kay, an eyebrow raised to accompany a smile that was only slightly more subdued than the one she’d given Bekkah.

“Family happened here, Scamp,” she said, gesturing to Dorian... then Marcus... and finally Tray. Her gaze stayed on Tray and Bekkah for a moment before she continued, looking at Kay again. “Kindness and Mercy happened here.”

She would not say it aloud, not yet... but perhaps Friendship could also have begun here, for the Kindness and Healing Lady Attera granted Tray through Bekkah could not have happened if a red haired girl from Dawnview had not decided a rascal of a young Korie lord had earned her provisional friendship. Without that provisional friendship, the Dayalan would not have mentioned to her golden haired sister from Dawnview that there was someone in Talantal who needed her skills.

If Dorian Korie wanted to credit Kisa with somehow engineering the whole thing, Daxia wasn’t going to argue the point. After all, part of the reason she was out here — outside the Vale — was to see the things Kisa couldn’t and report back to her. Perhaps the Snowqueen had a hand in this — though Kisa was no more the Snowqueen that she herself was Verchovai Jeminy Kilkenna. Perhaps Kisa had simply set that first tile tumbling into the others to create this pattern here in the Council chamber in Talantal. It was enough.

His inflection of the title he gave Kisa was interesting, however. Very interesting indeed.

The Starrider grinned at her Initiate. “And no, you’re not going anywhere. You can’t protect Romana from herself, as much as you’d like to try. She is neither helpless nor defenseless, for she is an Initiate of Attera, doing the work of Lady Attera.”

Dazi looked back up to her sister, sharing a knowing look. “Lady Jasmine brought news that Romana is... well, Romana is Romana is Romana. You can imagine what she’s doing.”

"Everything is bad except unicorns." -- Phoebe
Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Kadri paused, turned her head to look up towards Tray, smiled impishly, winked ...

[Linked Image]

... and waved back.

Looked back over towards Dorian:

"Dominie was always quite insistent in his concern for Tray."

Last edited by Art in the Blood; Sun 01/06/14 11:26 UTC.
Bekkah

She remained quiet at Tray's side, letting him talk. He was doing quite well for himself.

She caught Dazi's eye and gave her a quick wink.

She listened to them discuss Romana and that made her smile. She had no doubts that Romana was healing people as taught. She might be a bit overzealous in her efforts, but she would not be hurting anyone. Perhaps it would be best if she went and checked on her initiate. She was after all responsible for her.

She'd wait a few more minutes to see how things went here, then she would beg her leave and go check on Romana.

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

For the moment he is content to remain where he is.. a servant standing by if his Master's brother required anything? He doesn't seek the limelight, almost always preferring to be in the background, overlooked and mostly underestimated.

His concern for the moment is to ensure that Bekkah's good work is not undone. He has no idea what has happened in here since they left, certainly some people are absent and others have arrived, but he does not know the players here and the risks they pose. He only know that Bekkah undid a terrible wrong and likely someone might want to restore their status quo.

So he stays close to the newly restored Lord, ready to defend if required.

Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood

Kadri, Mikal and the Mouse, Daxia, Dandelion Koromov and Kisa Allaine and the Scam ...

...along with Bekkah, Cesare, Tray and Kathi.

From the shadows of the gallery walked a small shadow. Shy and inquisitive and unbelieving and completely silent, in the midst of the court hub-bub the little Mouse walked up to Tray, looked up at him, blinked and hen very slowly poked him.

Once.

Twice.

Thrice.

Poking was very serious business.

Then Mouse just smiled.

Tray simply patted her head, rustling her hair. With a squeak the little one covered her ears with her hands and scampered away, step light in a hop skip and a soft wistful whisper.

And then she was gone.

Again.

Tray simply closed his eyes for a moment biting his lower lip until a call from below broke his thoughts.

"Tray, you should be sitting at your brother's side."

It was a sentence of halves from his father - half command, half request, half understanding, half protocol, half tradition, half duty, half wishful, half worried.

Marcus just looked narrow-eyed worried.

Tray held up his hand.

"I would only be there because I am your son. I have been shut in my room for far too long - I know not matters of Council or Keep. I should learn them first. And today, would anyone blame me for wanting to walk beneath Her light? I am in good company, I trust my brother's retainers.

"Marcus will need a seneschal. That you need to decide. My apologies for taking yours away.

"For me. This is my first Midsummers since I was made ill.

"I've never seen a black unicorn. Nor the steeds from Amber. Boots from Kierkegaard - something comfortable and practical. perhaps for the first time I should visit Dama Larsen instead of she me. I am sure the ladies Marcy and Darcy would faint, and I have never heard anyone refer to a Lady as a Monster. That has me curious.

"I beg your leave, my Khorall and Lord."

Marcus nodded once, waving his hand dismissively. His father considered the matter quite a bit more and then nodded.

"But only because it is Midsummers."

For Cesare, here upon the Gallery, it was open, it was public, it was beneath her light, even if it was filtered through a rainbow of bright stained glass. So the threat of attack was minimal- but it was obvious that they were being watched. Of course that too was normal, considering the circumstances. One of the servants, bearing the Khorall's tabard - a slender, older woman with braided brown hair, seemed particularly interested. As well as one of the Guards; with a gruff expression, short cropped sandy blonde hair and arms crossed. Two women in white and cream hovered at the edge of site - they wore gold crosses like Bekkah so their interest, at least, may simply be professional. Another of the serving staff, an older man, gray hair and wizened, in the service of Lord Marcus, he had passed along the gallery several times - either someone was sending a twenty foot scroll worth of messages or he was trying to appear ... busy.

In the hall below, Dorian tapped the table with his fist, three sharp raps.

"Council is once again in order."

He looked straight to Priestess Jasmine.

"It is Midsummers. The crown shall cover all your needs this day. Let all know there will be no tithes asked. But also let those of the second, third and fourth ring know you will, of course, be recording their generosity, for it would please their Khorall to hear of the kindness of those who serve him.

"The new seneschal shall be asked to look at your accounts."

He then leaned back in his chair and crossed his arms.

"The Kories accept the Allaine's terms for the opening of the steel trade. We accept the logic behind our cousin's need for the lands east of the Silk Creek ravine."

He would then hold up his hand.

"This leaves the following matters for discussion. First, the appointment of two new seneschals; one for Brockman's Holdfast and the other for the grand Duchy of Talantal. Second, the disposition and technicalities of our Eastern Manors in view of the Allaine's offer to aide Talantal while we summon the forces of our titled nobility. Third, the mysterious summoning of a Priestess and a Justice to the Council by the Allaine second. I do not like mysteries. Last, the listing of needs by the Families of Kaa and Talesan's Village - including the terms of the fostering and safety of Dag Brockman's heir.

"All within these chambers may speak on these matters."

The Khorall of the Grand Duchy of Talantal then turned to the side, to his daughter in law, looking Kadri straight in the eyes.

"However, these matters must be set in their proper priorities.

"So, Daughter, in which order shall we resolve these tasks."

That, that finally got a sudden sharp laugh from Marcus, the heir very quickly covering his mouth.

From the balcony came a softer, more knowledgeable laugh. Tray whispered to Bekkah,

"That's the other reason I didn't want to go down to Council."

Last edited by Wolf; Tue 03/06/14 01:35 UTC.
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

He smiles softly as Mouse whispers but the smile is bittersweet.

He leans forward slightly and whispers to Lord Tray.

Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus

Her other eyebrow raises to match the first, before both drop to normal. If he thought to intimidate her, he would be disappointed. She purses her lips thoughtfully, and maintains the eye contact, tapping her fingers lightly on her jawline.

"Normally, I would not presume to know politics or the proper order of things - being of course that I am the simple woman I am. I will still not so presume, but since you ask it of me, I will give my opinion."

"Brockman's Holdfast has been in a state of uncertainty for long enough - that uncertainty should be remedied as soon as possible. Part and parcel of that would be the listing of needs of by Talesan's and the Families of Kaa - the new Seneschal and the terms of fostering and safety of the 'Brockman to be' to be are naturally intertwined."

Last edited by Art in the Blood; Tue 03/06/14 23:18 UTC.
Bekkah

"From the commotion raised, it seems I should check on my apprentice. I suspect that she had done nothing wrong except to do things differently, but some resist change more than others. If you were going that way first, I would be honored to accompany you."

Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood

Kadri, Mikal and the Mouse, Daxia, Dandelion Koromov and Kisa Allaine and the Scamp with Bekkah, Cesare, Tray and Kathi.

"The Disposition of Brockman's Holdfast, then. First, there shall be a regent ..."

Dorian Korie turned to the quiet man at the end of the table. Tieg Larsen just blinked.

"Do you have someone in mind?'

Folding his hands together, the seaside noble nodded.

"Actually I do. He's young, but his heart is in the right place and his skills are about to surpass the need of our small holding. He will have to be granted spurs and a belt, for he is a Squire. Those who follow the Rames are protectors, yes? His name is Erik. We shall spare an Initiate of Attera and one of my bookkeepers.

Larsen smiled,

"Fine. My bookkeeper. So I'll have to do mathematics again. There are many worse things. Is that acceptable?'

Dorian Korie held up his hand. It was Kisa Allaine who then stood.

"House Allaine shall watch over Brockman's Holdfast until the regent arrives, to maintain the safety of the Keep and its people."

Looking over her shoulder, Kisa snared the attention of the Horde's Captain. Dandelion Koromov simply nodded.

"That will put you between that will put you and yours between Talantal and Montague."

Dandelion shrugged her shoulders, unable to not smile.

"That's the entire point, isn't it."

It was Rikart who then rose to his feet, speaking for his Father.

"Kierkegaard will protect Snowgate Pass until the Horde is released from its duties."

The eldest of Amber spoke next.

"Amber will provide Brockman's eight fullhands of steeds, including two handfull mares. The lands about, though dry and parched, should support a sturdy, rough hewn bloodline. While one might say we are giving away our dregs, these are horses of which we speak - and this land may suit their nature better than our own fields of grain and grass."

The conversation came back to Dorian Korie.

"Talantal shall fund these endeavours until Midwinters.

"Any other who wish to speak - do so now or we shall close this matter."

As he waited for anyone else to participate, he looked to Kadri.

"Next?"

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Mikal

He listens, then glances at Captain Dandy. "The Montague may need to be persuaded to leave the keep. They seem to have become a bit too comfortable there, to the detriment of the people. Please let me know if you need any help with that chore. As onerous as it may be, I would be pleased to assist."

He shrugs apologetically, adding, "One must find one's entertainment where one may."

Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
ooc comment - pokes Art for Kadri and anyone else have any comments on the Plans for Brockmans?

Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Ooc: i was mainly waiting in case anyone else wanted to comment before moving along

Last edited by Art in the Blood; Fri 06/06/14 17:48 UTC.
Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
[OOC: Dazi will say what Dazi has to say when Dazi has something to say.

Note that I'm leaving town early tomorrow morning and while I will most likely have an internet connection at every stop along the way, I probably won't be anywhere near my laptop during the day for the next two weeks.

In other words, y'all might have to wait longer than usual for my post(s).]

Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Kadri

"Amber has waited ... patiently, I would say that their due must be given, and their concerns aired - and then a Seneschal appointed for Talantal - and with a complete house in hand, the particular details of eastern manors worked out with the Allaine. And lastly, because a good mystery should always be savored and left until last and because it involves imperials other distractions should be already placed out of the way, the matter of the Honored Priestess and Justice."

Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
OOC note and EEPS! Someone's trip threw me off balance... I'll post as soon as I can!

Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood

Kadri, Mikal and the Mouse, Daxia, Dandelion Koromov and Kisa Allaine and the Scamp

"Persuading a keep is always a long and loosing fight."

Dandelion Koromov directly addressed Mikal's statement about those currently residing.

"And this not the place to discuss how to convince an entrenched guest that they have overstayed their welcome. The usual solution is to make them think it's their own idea to leave. Now my sister would probably deal with it more directly - which would probably suit your tastes better - but the chances of Erika leaving Trundle are about as good as getting an apology out of Jakal Montague."

The Horde's Captain then let her gaze ise to the gallery.

"Erika was the direct one. Barris Ironhand stands with me because I tend to chose the less direct way.

"He says its more interesting and the last place he'd want to be is wondering what I am up to."

Frowning a bit, the Captain continued.

"You are a good sword, lad. But I'm not sure this kind of campaign will suit you, nor will it end the way you wish. You are like Barris, strong in the head on fight, there on the field. But I truly doubt Montague will vanish in our lifetime. If you want a piece of them, a piece of Jakal Montague, you have to think strategically. The big picture. Jakal is a wild beast, and Hadrian Montague will not let him off his leash between here and the Highest Tarn - he would be like an angry heard of merebeasts - unpredictable, striking out simply to strike out, not caring, un-focused - and even Hadrian does not squander his men to simply vent anger.

"If Hadrian lets his brother loose, it will be purposeful. He will send him after the person who caused him his troubles.

"You stay with Yurisdotter, all you have to do is wait.

"Montague will come to you."

Khorall Dorian Korie tapped his fist on the table hard, to claim the Coincil back.

"Enough. Old business and the consequences of poking a hornets nest with a stick. Seneschal of Talantal."

The older Korie looked to the younger Korie.

"I recommend you ask your elder brother. He is a scholar, he is educated in words, numbers and history and he is a Korie. You can be assured where his loyalties will lie."

Marcus frowned, crossing his arms. He'd consider that possibility for a long set of heartbeats.

"First, it would also resolve any question of succession ..."

Kisa Allaine added this simple fact, in a quiet and scholarly voice.

"Second, having chosen to promenade the town ..."

She nodded to the slightly less full balcony above - Lord Tray, Lady Bekkah, Kathi and perhaps even Cesare were no longer there.

" ... he cannot disagree with the appointment."

That finally got a smile out of Marcus Korie.

"He lost me my Seneschal, I suppose it shall serve him right. I will accept my the Lord Tray Korie as Seneschal of the Grand Duchy of Talantal."

Which then turns everybody's attention to the Lords of Amber. The Eldest, the Father simply folded his hands together. Lord Halahmbrah spoke.

"It seems this is a Council where we are being asked to give up our daughters.

"We came prepared to give up one, only to find two.

"However we do have a concern.

"Lord Rikart's betrothed was to accompany him to the Black Mountains after this Council, with the appropriate chaperone of brothers, sisters and mothers.

"But with a poked merebeast on the borders, is this still a wise path to ride?"

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Mikal

He listens stoically, shrugging once Captain Dandelion finishes. "I can work strategically, when necessary, and I need to do more of that if I am ever to lead my own Troop. I just prefer to execute tactical plans. It is more immediately rewarding, and there is nothing more satisfying then seeing your enemy's widening eyes staring at you over the hilt of the sword you have just embedded in his chest, as he realizes Krysta's cold embrace is quickly approaching."

"It is diplomacy and politics for which I have nothing good to say. I prefer to measure myself against my foe man-to-man, as it were", he nods to Dandy, "if you take my meaning, rather than skewer him with cutting words and half-truths in council."

He holds up a hand. "And yes, I know the right half-truth spoken in council can be worth an entire Troop on the battlefield. I understand it, but it doesn't mean I have to like it."

"Still, a long siege was not what I envisioned. We have not declared war against Montague, unfortunately, after all. If the council directs they are to leave to allow the Brockman's regent to be invested there then it is more a matter of", he glances at Kadri, "what did my Lady call it....., oh yes, shooing." He grins.

"But if my Contract take me elsewhere then so be it. Staying with Yurisdotter suits me for now."

When Dorian Korie speaks, followed by the Amber Lord he quirks an eyebrow. "Montague seems well versed in ambushing Noble Wedding parties. Perhaps a bit of misdirection would be appropriate? Send a group that looks like Lord Rikart, his betrothed, and their retinue via the obvious route with all the proper pomp and circumstance while at the same time the actual Noble party travels a more circuitous route in more discreet dress?"

He leaves unsaid who he thinks should play the roles of the Lord and retinue, although if it attracts the personal attention of Jakal Montague he would not turn down the offer to participate.

Last edited by Zeim; Thu 12/06/14 22:55 UTC.
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood

As the mercenary spoke, Dorian Korie simply sat back and crossed his arms. He looked to his daughter-in-law and nodded.

"Your man has an interesting thought."

The Korall turned to Mikal, glancing between him and the elder Koromov.

"They are bound for the Highest Tarn; that is where their lands and men are. That is one road. The wedding party would be taking another, and at the moment, for the next handfull of days, would be heading in the opposite directions.

"The possible destinations for the wedding party is Kierkegaard Keep up in the Black Mountains or upon the Plains of Kaa in the Amber lands - either passing over the Silk Creek Bridge or taking the long route via Sherman's Keep.

"You would have only your own household to do this.

"How would you tempt Montague out of their Highlands, what path would you take, what would you have waiting for them?

"Go on ... this is an interesting intrigue.

"Tell us more."

Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity

Daxia had not taken her seat beside Kisa when all the others in the room had taken theirs. She watched with interest as the Nobles took it upon themselves to provide for Brockman’s Holdfast until its heir would come of age. As she herself learned in the course of leading her small gang, when people worked together many things could be accomplished quickly and efficiently. Perhaps, after the fractious session earlier, she might have been ever so slightly amazed at the alacrity with which they came together.

It was in their best interests, of course. However, it was still a more than pleasant sight to see all of the Nobles acting as she had always understood Nobles should act.

She did have to smile — hardly noticeable, true — when Rikart offered the Kierkegaard forces to guard Snowgate Pass. While an attack on Dawnview was remote, Rikart’s offer was generous and served to further weave these five Families together in a tapestry of friendship and cooperation. She couldn’t remember a time when the Allaines and the Kories were not at odds... and here they were working together to rebuild the Noble Brockman Family.

May you live in interesting times.

Was it the old baker down in the market outside Dawnview Castle who used to intone that anytime something out of the ordinary happened? Daxia always thought the man was cursing people more than wishing them an interesting life.

As to Rikart’s offer... well, Montague would need to cross most of the mainland to reach the Pass, and unless there was more unrest among the Chaos Riders still entrenched in the Forest of Roth than usual — a possibility, though she suspected they’d be too busy finding a new leader from within their ranks, which would entail a great deal of fighting among themselves, to look outside their own sphere — the troop of Dayalans garrisoned at the Snowgate Keep was sufficient for the ordinary troubles that wandered in and through the Black Mountains.

Even when in the employ of Linnell Allaine, the Wild Horde didn’t spend their time defending Snowgate Pass. Their particular skills were often employed along the Road East and in certain places on the High Tarn during the Spring when their especial foes were most restless.

The young Starrider gave the Horde’s Captain a long and hard look at the latter’s comment to Mikal about sticking with her.

“Until very recently, no one had ever called me simply ‘Yurisdotter’. I find I rather prefer most of the Scamp’s nicknames to it, considering who it was that first used that single name for me.”

The look she gave Dandy wasn’t quite a scowl.

“Come to think of it, I prefer ‘Lady’.

“Or even cobble block.”

She practically barked out a thoroughly non-humorous laugh.

“I can’t tell you how excited I am to now be a magnet for the ire of the Montagues. Yes. Of course. I should have thought about that before laying out the catalog of their misdeeds before the Nobles’ Council.”

Daxia sighed and shook her head.

“Never mind. I’m sure you and the Horde have your own enemies, and I’d prefer not to face some of them. When we do our jobs and protect the people of our world, we’re bound to make enemies, da?”

Daxia shrugged and looked at Mikal.

“The Captain is right. We’re suited to different tasks than the Horde. I don’t doubt that the things we’re suited to doing will turn out to be… as interesting as our past adventures.”

The look on her face made it fairly clear that the area that would likely become their expertise did not make her particularly happy. On the other hand, the Horde probably wasn’t overjoyed to be fighting the Fair Folk whenever they decided to break through into the world of humans.

She bit her lip when Mikal answered Lord Terilanquel’s question, but her brows drew together as she frowned at Khorall Korie’s comment.

“Begging the Khorall’s pardon,” she said, looking between Mikal and Dorian, her gaze finally settling on Mikal, “but why would anyone want to actually pull the Montagues from their hidey hole? Yes, if the goal was to eliminate them, such a strategy would be reasonable — deal with them before they can plot further and gather more of their loyal men to their banner. But as the Captain pointed out, it is not likely we will see their disappearance in this generation.

“If the Montagues are, indeed, returning to the Highest Tarn with my Sister and her men following in order to ensure Brockman’s safety and security, would it not be more prudent to provide a proper escort for the wedding party?”

Daxia looked down at Kisa, and then back to Dandy, sighing softly enough that only Kisa was likely to hear her, before she continued. “Unless Dama Kisa’s escort was comprised of Allaine House Guards as well as Captain Koromov, she, too, will need an escort as least as far as Snowgate Pass.”

The Dayalan looked at Khorall Kristof and Lord Rikart, smiling slightly as she nodded once. “I fully trust the capable Kierkegaard men, of course, but if there is a concern for the safety of the bridal party, I will offer my services and those of my Initiate — as well as any of my small company who would accompany us — as additional guards...” She paused for a moment, considering the members of her party. “...and chaperones.”

Daxia looked down at Kisa again, one eyebrow raised, and said in Ancient, “By your leave, of course, if you do not need me to remain on the Tarn.”

She considered the implications of such a journey — Lord Rikart and his new bride to be, as well as the bride who’d run away to escape marriage only to marry the youngest Korie lord, layered over the general trouble that seemed to dog her Path.

Interesting times, indeed.

And there would also be the... ah... problem of the incongruous presence of a Jvrillian and a Squire of Rames in her party should Kisa allow Dazi to escort her all the way to Dawnview Castle.

Oh, yes... and Romana. She was an Initiate of Attera now, that was true. But she was still an Easterner.

Mentally, Daxia shrugged. For Romana, the young Starrider would face down the whole of the Allaine House Guard, every Priestess in the Temple, and even Kassia herself if her teacher had still been in the Vale. That such a thought no longer shocked Daxia, or even gave her pause, would likely make her rather unpopular back home. However, the thought of the young Koromov defending the newest Atteran Initiate very nearly caused the Dayalan to chuckle.

Not quite, no... but very nearly.

Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Kadri:

"If Kaliyana is getting married, I should like to be involved in the process of seeing that sister dear gets safely to where she is going. Not that sister dear needs a chaperone, but her younger sister I think could suffice for the job, and also help represent the interests of the Korie in seeing their allies safely to their destination. And, whatever other ways in which she may have seemed to be troublesome, be trusted by her Abba to have the best interests of her beloved sister at heart. And if anyone attempts to harm my sister ... there will be a much more pointed response than 'shoo'."

And she truly did desire to again see her sister ...

And not that there would be much of anything that would stop her from going if she wished to, but official blessing would be nice.

Last edited by Art in the Blood; Mon 16/06/14 20:41 UTC.
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Mikal

Her listens to the comments and after they finish he looks from the Khorall to Daxia, replying to both with a shrug.

"I suggested it not to coax Montague out of their 'hidey-hole' but in answer to Lord Halahmbrah's concern that it was not safe for the wedding party to travel with a 'poked Merebeast' running about, even with the Horde keeping an eye on them."

He pauses, then adds to Daxia. "Though in answer to your question about why anyone would want to actually pull the Montagues from their hidey-hole and whether the goal should be to eliminate them, in order to deal with them before they can plot further and gather more of their loyal men to their banner I would answer a forceful 'Aye'. That indeed aught to be the goal. The primary goal."

His looks loses a bit of it's glare. "But I have to admit I cannot see objectively on this subject. While I am sure the goal of Lord Halahmbrah and the Khoral are to keep the wedding party safe, I would prefer we were attacked by Montague, led by Jakal himself. So, Lord Khoral, when you ask me how I might tempt them out and what I would do I fear my judgement is clouded and I may not be the best one to offer sound planning advice."

He turns to glance at Daxia. "Yet it seems to me they could not easily move large forces across the Tarn undiscovered if they wished to attack the wedding party. A group around the size of that which attacked Innocence Allaine and Danton Kierkegaard's party is about what we might expect. If it were made public that this wedding party was traveling with a small honour guard, due to whatever reason can be thought of that precludes a larger force, and even better if it was made known that in the absence of House", the word is said with a sneer, "Montague's presence in council certain agreements were made that affected their House poorly were the wedding to take place...., such as perhaps part of the Montague Quarries being offered by the Council as part of the Bride's dowry after the wedding? In a case such as that there might be enough temptation for them to try to stop it from happening?"

He looks to the Khoral.

"If a part of your House Guard, or some of the Riders from the Plains of Kaa were to shadow the wedding party, out of view but close enough to come when called, then the wedding party guard would needs be only enough to defend long enough for the re-enforcements to arrive and crush the Montague scum as between a hammer and anvil."

He turns to look at Dandy. "It is my fondest wish that you are wrong, and we do see their disappearance in this generation, and I will do all in my power to prove you wrong."

He pauses, clears his throat, and then finishes softly. "But as I said, my judgement is clouded on this subject."

Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood

The youngest Dayalan looked to the doors of the hall, her eyes narrowing, her nose scrunching, before she offered up a single monosyllable.

"Tcha."

She then leaned on her spear, head resting where both hands wrapped firmly about the shaft.

"Lily-kins had a sayin. That no matter how strong you are, how fierce you are, or how many hot buns you could steal, if'n you get into a fight not knowing exactly what why you are fighting and what you are trying to do ....

"It's like betting onna fox...

"It ain't never going to work out the way you want it to."

She looked around the council chamber, but mostly to the folks who she has been traveling with, since the fall of Silk Creek Bridge.

"Oh there are as many reasons as there are cookies on Midsummers to want to draw old pokey-grouchy far far too easy to set off out of his merebeast den. The question I'd ask is whats the right one? Cause he's a toady-face? Cause there's things he's done that need being settled? Because it'll make you feel better? Because he's a bloody danger that's better taken care of now rather than later?

"Well it's gonna be tougher than you think.

"Didn't you notice his handler? Do you think that he's going to let his brother do something stupid when he's around? That's why its gonna generations to get rid of them almost nobles; That one knows what fights he can win, which ones he'll lose, and when to get out of town.

"And when he gets into a fight he'll be knowing exactly what he wants out of it.

"Here? Right now? too many reasons, too many whys, and in the end it all gets confused.

"But hey, I'm just a dumb third spear on the right.

"Though I do know something.

"Prying old pokey-head from beneath his brother's grasp will be a pain in the backside. He might be dumb but his brother ain't."

She'd nod back over to where the Allaine sat.

"But tall, needs to eat a better breakfast over there, she's got it right.

"All you go to do is wait and he'll come after you ... uhm ... us."

That last stumble received a quirk of an Allaine's brow and Kisa looked up. Carefully the scholar folded her hands in front of her.

'"She's right. The person whose actions you should be prediction are not those of Jakal Montague, but of Khorall Hadrian Montague. First, concerning the wedding party; is he the sort of person who would try the same thing a second time, especially when all eyes will fall upon Montague if something untoward would happen?

"Second, there are many of us who need to ride east after council. Thus the bride and prospective groom will be in the company not only of the Kierkegaard honor guard but also mine and the brothers of Amber.

"Would not a wiser strategy be one that draws their attention in the opposite direction?"

As Kisa Allaine askd her question, Kay Koromov turned to ask a final one of her won.

"Your Daziness ... fine. I know my why.

"Can I go ..... now?"

Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity

Daxia had merely shrugged at Mikal’s comments. Where the Paths led them was where they’d go. She was practically to the point of believing in Cesare’s Fates. It was almost as if there was a particular Path they were meant to travel. Just because she couldn’t see it didn’t mean it wasn’t there.

She raised an eyebrow at her Initiate, but didn’t interrupt her. Was the middle of a Council session the appropriate place to discuss what their small group would do? This was the most peculiar experience she’d had with being in Court, and Khorall Korie didn’t appear to have any clear pattern about when he did or didn’t find the conversation straying off the road to be bothersome. He did seem considerably happier — they managed to do something right by coming here — after seeing his eldest son healthy, probably for the first time in the young man’s life.

When they were alone, later... well, then she would feel more willing to express her opinions. This did not feel like the appropriate time or place, especially since the Khorall had explicitly told her not to speak. She’d certainly said more than she likely ought to have said already.

Kisa’s comment, however, did answer — rather obliquely, true — the question Dazi had asked. Kisa would return home; Dazi would stay out here.. doing whatever needed to be done and sending reports back to Dawnview.

The Dayalan looked at her Initiate a second time, completely abandoning her persona of Court Observer. That’s something that would get her a knock on the back of her head from Kassia if Kassia was here. Luckily, Kassia wasn’t here. The Starrider turned and took a step to bring her nearly toe to toe with Kay.

“Knowing why we do what we do is always good,” she said mildly as she looked down at the youngster.

“You might understand battle better than most, but the larger picture is still eluding you, my little cobble block.” Daxia shook her head sadly, but sighed. “Well, there were lessons that didn’t come easily to me, either.”

Placing her hands on the young Koromov’s shoulders, she maneuvered Kay into the proper place behind Kisa.

“Now. Watch Lady Anastasia. Consider everything you’ve observed about my sister. Figure out why it is that the Ladies who serve Attera have less to fear from the dangers in this world than most.” She huffed out a soft but sharp breath. “Our tall, white haired friend’s greatest danger is very likely going to be from herself. Fortunately, Lady Bekkah seems to have left... and knowing her, I’d assume she’s checking on her Initiate.”

The redhead finally took her seat beside the Allaine Heir, hands folded quite properly in her lap. After a scan of the room, she turned her head to look over her shoulder.

“You may leave when I leave,” she said to Kay. “I will leave when Dama Kisa releases me from my duties here.”

Daxia returned to her observations of the occupants of the room. If her task was to continue traveling across the mainland, perhaps the Larsens wouldn’t mind their company... although if danger and the threat of retaliation from Jakal Montague was going to dog their heels, perhaps the Larsens would be better off without them. That was too bad, as the Khorall of Talesan’s Village and his Lady seemed to be thoroughly charming people.

And Dazi still wanted to see the Sea of Opals.

As a more immediate project, she wondered if she could talk Lord Rikart into just one dance on this fine Midsummers day... if she promised not to crush his toes. She’d gotten better, and it had only been that one time! It was the first time she’d been allowed to attend a Court function, and she was understandably, ah, rattled.

And Kadri’s family was ever so intriguing, as well!

Midsummers was for dancing and enjoying all that life provided... not for sitting in stuffy Council chambers, no matter how grand they were.

Daxia Yurisdotter realized she was pretty darn happy not to be a Noble. Sure, being a common born woman who carried a sword had a few disadvantages — maybe even more than just a few — but there were benefits aplenty.

She hoped she could find a market to buy some apples. Even if every curious person in Talantal found a way to bring the unicorn an apple, Morning Star certainly deserved a handful or two from his rider. She was sure the markets existed, and were at least as plentiful as those in the Vale... but with everyone enjoying their Midsummers celebrations, would anyone actually be tending their stalls? No... not likely. Though, in Talantal? Who knew?

Dazi watched and waited. Eventually the talk would circle back to the reason Lord Hawthorne and Lady Anastasia had been summoned.

Well... it probably would.

Maybe?

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Mikal

He grunts loudly in frustration, finally giving voice to the incredulity that he's been feeling.

"None of this would be necessary. This talk about generations. This talk about fear of what the Montague's might do. None of it!"

He turns to scan the room. His eyes accusatory. "You had the head of the snake. In your grasp. Proven guilty by evidence. Accused and convicted by the lack of denial from their own lips when given the chance. Guilty. Guilty of killing a Khorall and his betrothed Princess. And you let them simply get up and walk away like it was an afternoon stroll!"

He points out the windows vaguely. "They should be hanging from the highest tower of this keep!"

He looks at the Knights of Rames and the Eye of Hastur standing about the room. "So much for the Justice you speak so self-righteously of all the time."

He looks at the other Khorals in the room. "And you seem unperturbed that you have just announced that someone can kill royal Princes and Princesses without punishment. You set a dangerous precedent here."

Glancing around the whole room he finishes. "None of this would be necessary! Forget all the rape and torture of innocents the Montagues are likewise guilty of. They killed a Prince and Princess, were shown to be guilty, AND YOU LET THEM SIMPLY WALK AWAY!"

Last edited by Zeim; Mon 23/06/14 12:30 UTC.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Wolf 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Talon475, Randal Trimmer, Kimf, Yvon, TennesseeBaron
177 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Member Spotlight
Barry Mulvihill
Barry Mulvihill
Columbus Ohio, USA
Forum Statistics
Forums103
Topics2,845
Posts140,820
Members177
Most Online296
Jan 19th, 2020
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
†Restricted forums can only be accessed by DreamLyrics members of the age of 18 years or older. Access which is granted by the Behind Closed Doors Procedure.
™DreamLyrics Play-by-Post. DreamLyrics Play-by-Post does not own copyright on DreamLyrics texts or graphics, except trademarked DreamLyrics logos and logotypes. The works contained in DreamLyrics are copyrighted (automatically, under the Berne Convention) by the original authors and may be available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence. (See Copyrights for details.)
Privacy Policy