Eye of the Dragon
DreamLyrics Play-by-Post
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 59 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Dice Roller
You will need to enable Javascript in order to view the Dice Roller.
Games Recruiting List

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Talantal, the Grand Duchy of Talantal
Morning, Midsummer's Day

Bekkah and Romana, Darcy and Marcy

Morning started with a knock-knock-knock on Bekkah's cell door. When opened, the elder Atteran was met with a younger face; it was the small lass from the day before. Short, with long heather blonde hair, she stood in what must be her best whites and creams, the gold cross she wore all polished and sparkling in the dawn. Of course, this was Midsummer's - a day of rest and fineness, a holiday. Though the girl did not look at all happy.

"Dame Jasmine said we was to bring you your breakfast, you can sit at the well ... and how did she say it, oh yes, she said you can sit at the well and eat and you won't be disturbed. A kindness, ja?"

And there it was; a small collection of pastries and cheeses, some breads and what looked to be a carafe not of water, but of wine.

This was grand Talantal after all.

"Me and ...

The girl turned, looking to the adjacent cell, her eyes going wide.

"DARCY! You get out of there. You don't know what it'll do to you!

"She ain't an it ... she's a she, and she's hidden under her covers just like sissy does ... Hey you. Wake up. It's morning vespers ..."

"Beds. Warms. Comfys. Let Dazidazidazi greet dawn. Dazidazidazis job. Impolites, see Hers when Shes not awakes and high in skies."

"Impolite! I'll give you impolite!"

If Darcy was trying to wake Romana, then it must be Marcy who stood in front of Bekkah. And thus it was probably Marcy who had dragged her twin out of the cloisters last night. She stood there, trying to look all grown up and official, her hands hard upon her hips, stomping one foot.

"We had to get up early and make your breakfast, and you only got that because theres no one blow us to pass the chore down to! So, you ... you ... whatever you are ..."

" ... princess!"

"You are not!"

" ... Romanas so!"

" ... Romanas not!"

" ... Romanas so!"

" ... Romanas not!"

" ... Romanas so!"

" ... Romanas not!"

Softly, almost knowingly, as if she had been through this many times before, Darcy interrupted.

"Its a good breakfast. Cheese, warm bread, wine from beneath the chapel, jam in a little jar, muffins ..."

" ... Romanas sooo ... ooo ... muffles?"

"Muffins?"

"Muffles!"

After a hasty retreat by Darcy, for a modicum of privacy, of course, Romana joined the three at the well. While properly appointed, she was bleary eyed and her hair all tousled, adjusting her skirts only for a moment before happily being distracted by a blueberry muffin. She sat next to Bekkah, with Darcy on her other side ... and Marcy trying to be all organized and such as she stood before her charges.

"Dame Jasmine said you two gotta work today, doing hospice work down at the bottom of the city. Now its Midsummers, and I don't think its quite fair that we are going to lose our holiday because of you too."

"Marcy, we volunteered.

"No we didn't. You did! I tried to haul you to the back of the cathedral!

"You could have said no.

"I could not say no. I can never say no! And you know that. Why did I have to be the one born first? Why must it always be me looking after you!"

"Because you are a good sister, Marcy."

"Arrrrrr!"

"Missus Ana says we are always supposed to heal the hurt, not just bind the wound.

"Darcy ... sister ... how many times do I have to tell you. They put Missus Ana out to pasture like an old horse. If'n we ever want not be an Initiates, we got to have Dame Jasmin's favor. She wouldn't have even taken us in and we got nowhere else to go."

"At leasts whole worlds not trying to kills Marcydarcies ..."

"Ja, at least whole world isn't trying to ... hey!"

Peeking over the edge of her muffin Romana simply offered the other Initiate a small smile.

"Darcy! Now you got me agreeing with her. You are a rotten sister!"

"Have some bread and strawberry jam. And yes, I know. We aren't supposed to take from her jar, but she never said it was a rule or anything, cause she can't, its supposed to be for all of us, and I figured, well, let her complain. Me doing something stupid is kind of expected, ja?"

Resigned, Marcy joined the trio for breakfast.

"We are supposed to keep you company today, to show you around, so you don't get lost or talk to the wrong sort of folks and get hurt, to help you be good members of our Church here ... that kind of thing.

Romana peeked over her muffin again, considering those words, noting Darcy's a downcast expression on the girls face and the rambling of her sister.

"Romanas understands. Marcydarcies make sure Romanas not make Church look bad and after tell everything to Priestess Jasmine."

"Ja ..."

Marcy looked caught.

"Pretty much."

It was interesting, that even on Midsummers, when there were to be no rules, no laws, the gates to each ring were still manned by their Rames guard. While they never actually stopped anyone climbing the hill further into town, their simple presence seemed to be enough to keep most folks from rising beyond their station. The celebration had swept through the small capital, most of the shops were closed - the ones open tended to be inns, cafes, places that would sell things to eat, things to drink; perhaps an occasional jewelry store to tempt young lads wanting to impress their ladies. The closer one got to the out ring however, the nature of the entertainment changed. Where minstrels would spill out into the streets and folks in brightly colored outfits spin and dance ... those colors would become muted and dusty, the songs would remain in their taverns. While on the streets the children would run back and forth the adults would raise their tankards sitting on the stoop of a house or upon a couple barrels temporarily paused in their trip from one place to another.

Definitely a working class celebration.

"By all the Gods ..."

" ... look Henrik ... the rumors ... they's true.

" .. maybe they won't let them back up..."

By the time the Poor Ring was reached, there was less traffic, less words, but more suspicious looks. Mostly silence. A whole lot of heavy silence.

"This is kind of scary Marcy ..."

There was a small gathering, outside a simple tavern. Some tables had been set, daughters serving ale and beer to the who could afford the holiday.

"Well look at that. Is this our Midsummer's gift from the Keep?

"Go for months having to pay the tolls and tithes just to get into the hospice and what do they send us. Two children, a stranger and a monster."

"Is she really a monster? I never seen a monster before."

"Mary, get the children away ..."

"Maybe she was hatched. Aren't monsters hatched?"

Romana simply stopped, all quiet. She turned and took her floppy hat off. Soft blue eyes looked to the goodwife, a sturdy looking woman, grey far too early, who was herding a young lad behind her skirts. She crouched down, to the child's level.

"Romanas had a mother. Just like yours."

The woman just glared at the Easterner.

"How dare you. How dare you. We know what they say about your kind. What they do. How they do it. How dare you say that. There's nothing but nightmares from where you come from."

The Initiate was quiet for a moment. She looked to Bekkah. To Marcy and Darcy.

"You are right. Tales true."

That caused a stirring, a start. several of the men stood, then, one reaching for a large knife. They had expected an argument. Not an agreement.

Romana looked to her teacher.

"Is Romanas a monster, Bekkah?

"Mother same. Do anything to protect Romanas.

"Gave everything to make Romanas safe.

"Mother dead because of Romanas.

"That make Romanas some manner of monster, yesyesyes?

"Even if only monster looking for forgiveness."

Bekkah

She stretched and yawned.

"Thank you. I will be up shortly" she said, adding in a smile for the initiate.

Then she heard the commotion next to her and it made her smile.

She didn't think there was any danger, so she washed her face, got dressed and fixed her hair. So when Romana finally got it, the two made quite a contrast. Bekkah with her blond hair, looking perfect, Romana with her black hair looking wild.

She smiled at her charge.

"Romana, we do not greet the dawn like Dazi, but we have much, important work to get done and we must start early or we won't have time for those that need us.

The exchanges between the sisters made Bekkah smile. She had a feeling that by the end of the day, Romana would win both of them over.

The journey through the rings went as expected, but Bekkah carried herself with all the dignity of her position.

"We will be fine girls. Remember who you represent. It's not always easy, but we shall earn their respect through our Goddess' graces."

So when they entered the inn, she stood even straighter and greeted the people with a warm smile.

She was about to interject on Romana's behalf, but the girl did well.

Her voice was calm and sure. She was the consummate Lady of Attera.

"Tales grow the further you get from the source and you are led to believe that your enemy is nothing but monsters of legend. What do you think the people of your enemy say of you? That every last one of us is evil, wishing to steal away their children to burn in some kind of celebration. Have any of you ever done such a thing? Have any of you ever even thought of such a thing. In any land, the further you get from the leaders, the more you'll find the truly good people of every land. The people such as yourselves. The true heart of the land. While a babe may one day, commit horrible crimes in some lord's name, it does not mean that every one of you should be condemned to the fate of that one. No, it still does not change the fact that the majority of the people want nothing more than to live and be happy, to see their own children grow and to celebrate Midsummer with family, friends and strangers. All lands are like that, when you get down to the true heart."

"So, please fear us not. For in my Lady's name, we have come to help."

Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Talantal, the Grand Duchy of Talantal
Morning, Midsummer's Day

Bekkah and Romana, Darcy and Marcy

Romana looked down for a moment, quiet, thoughtful.

She took a breath, shook out her long, wild white hair ...

And drew herself up.

"Excepts, Bekkahsha ...

"Between Romanas and Bekkahsha an fiere Talantals mothers ....

"Romanas happy heres and not Romanas theres ...

"Even if ..."

The goodwife, however, broke in, giving Bekkah a long and odd look.

"We don't do any of that. We are good colonial ... and just what do you think you are doing?"

At that moment, the newest Initiate was, very awkwardly, had found and was wheeling back and forth a decent sized cask, towards one of the table - in fact the very table that the goodwife was connected to.

"Romanas sit. Wait. Eventually someone hurts will come. This way knows where Romana is, not have to find.

"Romanas patient."

The woman scowled. Romana smiled and then immediately turned to the table when she heard the toss of Four Stones, eyes growingwide asshe watched the painted stone skiter across therough wood.

"Fine. Not good on patients ..."

That got a chuckle or two.

"Can Romanas play?"

"NO!"

The interruption was sharp, hard and barked and followed by a pant-pant-pant. Small and blustery, it was Kay Koromov who suddenly skidded to a stop before the tavern. She leaned on her tall battered spear, rolling her eyes.

"Oh. You. You can play. It's the Lady Bekkah who can't.

"Gawk. Who made this city so bloody huge?"

Straightening out her dark hair the Dayalan eyed the elder Yurisdotter.

"Don't blame me ... it was Her Daziness who sent me. Said I am not supposed to come back without you. Even if I had to drag you back by the ear. How she even expects me to reach your ear, well, your sister is kind of daft sometimes, ja?

"She told me to remind you there's a very sick lad who needs your attention. Like now. And since he can't get out of his bed, you got to come back to the castle to him.

"Mission of mercy and all that.

"Personally, I think she just wants to see if she can tire me out. bah. i grew up in the mountains. We's tough folks."

The goodwife caught her breath, she looked between the newcomer, the elder Priestess and the menfolk.

"You don't mean the Lord Tray?

"Some of us have always wondered why ... why with all you Ladies up in the High Rings, why he never gets any better. Maybe it takes a Lady from the Low Rings ...

"Go.

"We'll make sure nothing happens to Princess Monster."

Last edited by Wolf; Fri 18/04/14 11:56 UTC.
Bekkah

She smiled at Romana. She hoped the people here would give her a chance. If they did, they'd see how truly adorable she really was.

Things seemed to have calmed some, although she wasn't sure if they'd actually get the chance to do any good when Kay came panting into the room.

She listened with little expression.

When the goodwife said they'd take care of Romana, she looked to Romana to see if she agreed.

"Keep working on the patience Romana. It will serve you well. I will come back as soon as I can and I fully expect a line of people waiting for you aid. And Romana, remember to not overuse the bandages, yes?"

She waited for Romana's answer, then headed back up to see what she could do for Tray.

"We are not running back there Kay, so you may catch your breath. Daxia will have to learn a little patience herself."

Moderated by  Wolf 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Talon475, Randal Trimmer, Kimf, Yvon, TennesseeBaron
177 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Member Spotlight
Pandemonium
Pandemonium
Oregon USA
Forum Statistics
Forums103
Topics2,845
Posts140,819
Members177
Most Online296
Jan 19th, 2020
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
†Restricted forums can only be accessed by DreamLyrics members of the age of 18 years or older. Access which is granted by the Behind Closed Doors Procedure.
™DreamLyrics Play-by-Post. DreamLyrics Play-by-Post does not own copyright on DreamLyrics texts or graphics, except trademarked DreamLyrics logos and logotypes. The works contained in DreamLyrics are copyrighted (automatically, under the Berne Convention) by the original authors and may be available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence. (See Copyrights for details.)
Privacy Policy