Eye of the Dragon
DreamLyrics Play-by-Post
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 47 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Dice Roller
You will need to enable Javascript in order to view the Dice Roller.
Games Recruiting List

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Kel #701029 Sat 01/03/14 00:09 UTC
Bekkah

"I don't remember that." she said with a wink.

She bowed her head slightly to Kisa.

"Dama, it is a pleasure to finally meet you. I've heard so much about you through my sister's letters."

Nivek #701031 Sat 01/03/14 01:21 UTC
Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Kadri:

She offers a curtsey, a genuine one this time, to Kisa - and deeper than the one that had been offered to the Lord Montague by enough to be noticed.

"I do not know you, Dama Allaine, but what I know of you through Dazi is good. And if she has respect for you than I find that I must share it."

She pauses a moment, looking up.

"Captain Koromov"

She acknowledges, then looks back to Kisa.

"But I would request to just be called Kadri. This 'Dama' bit wears on me like a corset. I am no fancy lady, whatever blood or circumstance may say. I am plain, simple, Kadri."

She tilts her head to one side, then offered a thousand watt smile.

[Linked Image]

"And simple Kadri is quite enough for my tastes."

The smile is followed by a wink.

Last edited by Art in the Blood; Sat 01/03/14 04:08 UTC.
Nivek #701033 Sat 01/03/14 01:39 UTC
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Mikal

He turns to face the door as it opens and the two groups enter, one shortly after the other.

"Dama Allaine", he offers a formal bow, then turns and adds with a more familiar nod, "Captain Koromov. It is nice to see you again. We could have used you at Bordertown. Donner and I didn't get along much. His troop is led by Daffyd Stoneshield now, though."

He glances at Bekkah and Romana as they enter, then nods towards Daxia in acknowledgement. "So. Dean, Cesare, and I will take care of it then."

Zeim #701070 Sat 01/03/14 15:53 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

He nods as he is introduced, reserving judgement as he likes to make his own mind up. Dandy gets a small smile though.

He moves up closer to Romana.

"He can call me Princess..."

He chuckles.

"How I kept a straight face!"

Still chuckling he heads for the refreshments. With this many in the room his post at the door can be vacated for a short while at least.

Gypsy #701090 Sun 02/03/14 16:22 UTC
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Talantal, the Grand Duchy of Talantal
Late Afternoon, Attaday, the twenty-seventh day of Dragon

Mikal, Dean, Cesare, Kadri ... Daxia ... Bekkah ... Kay, Kandelion, Kisa, Kathi, James and a Mouse

All it took was a simple nod from Kathi for James and the Mouse to relax, James taking a restful place by the study entrance where he stood after a simple bow. The Mouse retreated to a corner, farthest from the fire and window and thus the most shadowy. There the Mouse slowly slid down the wall until she sat on the floor, drawing her knees up and wrapping her arms around them.

Kathi simply folded her hands behind herself, nooked at the small of her back, before she ducked her head and spoke.

"Not to be rude and out of place, Dama Korie, but that's not what I meant at all.

"So begging your forgiveness, I shall be blunt.Your retinue appear to be new to the Keep. You are Noble, we are not. If Lord Dorian struck one of us, we could not go to the Judges and request justice for being wronged. As a commoner we do not have the right to lay an accusation upon a Noble. What I was trying to explain is that our Lord's Father, kin and In-laws understand this matter of caste ... and not only understand it, they will, if given the chance, take full advantage of their station to make sure you do. Especially those new o the Keep."

Kathi cast a soft glance to that shadowed corner, as if remembering something that was best left completely unsaid.

"We consider ourselves very lucky to serve the young Lord.

"We are not so lucky when he is away."

The servant girl then looked around the room, as if tallying the number of new retainers to her Lord's personal household, to prepare for aswering Mikal. She then offered the mercenary a very respectful nod.

"That may prove difficult. Our quarters, like all those in the towers, are in the tower attic, right above us, so you just continue the stairs one more round up. Usually, usually when a Lord gets married they move to one of the apartments in the donjon, where there are more rooms. Though Dama Korie only brought two servants with her.

"They are both scary."

She offered a small, hopeful smile,

"I think if Mouse moves in with me we can all fit in the attic. The rooms are very small, but they get good light and fresh air, until our Lord returns and they ... uhm ... decide ... what to do with him ...

"... and us."

Kathi's line of mis-interpreted thought, however, was interrupted by a knock on the door. James was the one who so naturally crossed the room to provide entrance to the now crowded site. First in, of course, are the two cousins, one tall, one short, one light haired, one dark. They were followed by the quiet Allaine, who slipped in the room almost silently, her sharp emerald eyes noting not just who was in the room but where they had naturally appointed themselves, as if one might view the playing field of horses and castles ... or perhaps, better, a game of doublebluff. Daxia was the last to step inside, that oh so proper step behind the heiress. As she introduced her companions Kisa noted each in turn, setting them to memory.

"Like watching the ripples on a pond, it seems I have been following in your wake, knowing you only in merchant tales and the written word."

Kisa's words were a bit awkward and quiet, if anything, as if introspective, as if perhaps, she were more comfortable before a grand court of strangers better than a small room of ... friends.

"I am glad to finally meet all of you ...

"Or at the least, most of ..."

Again the knocking on the door interrupted as the last two of the small cadre arrives. Now, finally, everyone was together again.

For the first set of heartbeats, it was obvious where attention fell. This the Allaine was used to, and for this she drew herself up, like putting on a cloak, to hear well-wishers greet her, a silent form of armor she put on and it was as if the room's temperature had dropped a degree or two. As if it might ... snow. But then Kisa Allaine closed her eyes, shook her head, long hair dashing back and forth.

"My apologies ..."

The heiress just whispered, just those two words.

That moment's attention, however, did provide enough of a distraction for the lass with the longest name to step inside, to blink, once, twice and then, with a swallow and a ducked head slip along the wall. Romana moved to the right, until she ended up behind Kay, and it was a bit odd and poignantly funny to watch the group's tallest try and hide behind one of the shortest. Kay, now, she reflexively drew herself up tall and straight, or at least as tall as she could, until she looked back over her shoulder and up and was once again struck with a just what am I doing manner of expression. But this time she simply planted the heel of her spear on the floor, leaning on it and tries to look fierce.

Looking over Kay's shoulder, the Easterner looked once to the Horde's Captain before hugging herself and looking down to the floor.

"Alley Princess must hates Romanas

"Hates with all hearts.

"Had hero for Father.

"Romana wish had Fathers.

"If Romanas says sorries.

"Mean nothing against such hurt.

"Can only says ...

"Thank you."

Wolf #701091 Sun 02/03/14 16:30 UTC
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood

Mikal, Dean, Cesare, Kadri ... Daxia ... Bekkah ... Kay, Kandelion, Kisa, Kathi, James and a Mouse

At first the Captain of the Horde just watched silently, and it was perhaps more than protective reflex that her hand rested upon the hilt of her dull black sword.

Dandelion Koromov was quiet, quiet for long time, afterwards until with a harsh breath she simply tossed her hands into the air.

"Cor.

"How is anyone supposed to stay angry at that! It'd be like kicking a kid ruff"

She crossed her arms with a humf, looking back to the Easterner with a stern glare, only to be distracted by Cesare's comment.

"I got to admit, that was well worth being there"

To which Romanas looked up, blue eyes sparkling as she offered a small smile, so very much like one would extend an entreaty for peace.

"Well ...

" ... is true. Can ask mean and nasty Truthsayers even."

Wolf #701108 Sun 02/03/14 22:45 UTC
Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Verchovai Daxia Yurisdotter

In those uncomfortable moments when Kisa was the center of all attention, moments that seemed to stretch far longer than they truly were, Daxia’s hands remained clasped tightly behind her back lest one of them inadvertently stray to her friend’s shoulder. Those of her company — and even Captain Koromov — would understand the gesture for what it was. But the Starrider was not trusting of servants in the House of Korie.

When Kisa pulled in on herself — and Daxia would have sworn she could smell the snow on the jambles — she leaned forward as she had observed Verchovai Reena do so often with the Khorall and whispered very softly, “Have a care, my Lord, please. You are safe here, I swear.”

She stood back again, barely out of range of Kisa’s tossed hair. It was only then, when Kisa whispered her apology, that Daxia knew the Heir was not playing the role of the Snowqueen at this Midsummers Council.

It was not a role when one actually possessed the power of the Snowqueen.

As she watched Romana try to hide behind the diminutive Kay, Daxia suppressed a shudder at the thought of a world in which Kisa’s heart might have been icy and alone. It was even harder to resist the urge to wrap her arms around Kisa and remind her that she was not and never would be alone. Distance might separate them for seasons at a time, but nothing could separate their hearts.

She watched the exchange between Eastern Princess and Imperial Lady Knight with interest. If Thomas Montgomery Koromov indeed danced with Krysta, it was because of Romana... or at least the threat Romana represented. Madoka’s fate was still unknown, and that was most directly because of Romana... and the threat she represented. If anyone would have cause to hate Romana, it would be the three daughters of Thomas Montgomery and Madoka Koromov.

Dandy came to that inevitable place one seemed to find oneself in when one found oneself in any sort of relationship with Romana: indeed, how could anyone stay angry with her?

“I managed to stay quite furious with Romana for much longer, Sister,” she said to Dandy. “Why, the time might have been counted as long as it would take you to empty a tankard of beer.” Daxia paused to reconsider, recalling how long her conversation with Darian had lasted that night so long ago. “Well, half the tankard, at any rate.”

The red haired Dayalan chucked. “We’re still a gang of misfits, and take no offense at the name, but I’d like to believe we’ve given up being fishwives.” Her smile faded then, and she continued. “If our stay in Bordertown didn’t wring that out of us, our eternity at Highside Heather certainly did.”

“Dama,” she said to Kisa, “do you wish to return to your rooms before dinner, or do you...”

Her hesitation was minute, infinitesimal really, and something only Kisa would notice. Daxia couldn’t actually ask if Kisa was able to stay in such a large crowd of people, despite knowing how uncomfortable Kisa was in such surroundings. But the Dayalan would be remiss in her duties as both friend and protector if she didn’t at least offer Kisa the opportunity to politely retire.

“...wish to continue this visit with Lady Kadri and her friends?”

And on top of that, of course, was the question that was likely already flying through the castle.

Just why was the Heir of Allaine visiting with the young Lord’s new wife, anyway? Oh, there was a plausible reason or two, to be sure, the chief of which was Allaine’s alliance with the Amber Clans.

But when Dazi looked at the Paths... trying to at least get a sense of where to step and where not to step... she could only see what might be called a spider’s web. She stood in the middle with Kisa, with her friends... there were too many, and no way to tell which were less dangerous than others. She guessed the ones that seemed to be covered with hoarfrost were to be avoided, but she had no sense of whether or not the Paths upon which a tiny Fox danced were dangerous in addition to being unpredictable.

Daxia decided she was not going to sigh. Kisa was setting up her Doublebluff tiles, and for once could speak almost plainly about the Paths instead of passing vague messages via tiles that only made sense after the fact.

And in the instant Dazi decided not to sigh, a random thought floated through her mind... is this what patience looks like?

"Everything is bad except unicorns." -- Phoebe
Kel #701112 Mon 03/03/14 00:11 UTC
Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Kadri;

She looks to the side.

"Kathi ... You never have to beg forgiveness for speaking 'out of place' with me. And your point is, I think, well taken - I understand."

With that, he looks back towards the just entered retinue .. And waits for the answer patiently.

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

He swallows a mouthful of meat, feeling that this room is geting far too full for him. He understands all too well what Kathi is saying, that all of Kadri's new 'servants' are likely targets for any ill feelings to watds Kadri or this sudden alliance.

Mentally he shrugs. He has been a target for most of his life, just because as a Rhoni he is different. He has learned to avoid much of it and to take the odd beating when that hasn't been possible. So in some ways he is possibly better prepared than most here.

Grabbing some fresh bread, he turns to Kathi.

"I'll come with you and sort out the rooms if you like.. and with your permission my lady?"

The last remark is steered in Kadri's direction.

Gypsy #701126 Mon 03/03/14 13:43 UTC
Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Kadri:

"... Kadri, and you don't need my permission, Cesare."

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

"And with you permission my lady, I think it would be wise to get into safe habits whilst we are here.. for all our sakes."

Then he grins, turning to Kathi with a gesture that she leads the way.

Gypsy #701130 Mon 03/03/14 14:15 UTC
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Mikal

He nods to Cesare's planned action and his comment about staying in role. "See if you can find a back way out of here, just in case, while you're at it. I dislike being cooped up like this."

He glances around the room at all the people, some of whom he doesn't know, including the servants. "I will stay here for now." He positions himself where he is always no more than a step away from Kadri.

Zeim #701200 Tue 04/03/14 13:16 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

"Agreed, will do."

He responds readily, sharing the warrior's disquiet. And also thinks that Mikal is better placed to offer Kadri protection, rather than him.

He waits for Kathi.

Kel #701234 Tue 04/03/14 17:58 UTC
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
Dama Kisa Lynette Allaine

The young redhead shook her head, her arms still wrapped tight about herself.

"No. I ..."

Her words pauses, like a stutter almost, as if the young woman was trolling through a list seeking for the most appropriate.

" ... need to stay."

The heiress would stand quiet for a moment, for two, before, in a decidedly un-lady like manner drop to her knees and then flounce into a sitting position on the floor. She'd trust in Daxia's words of her safety, of their privacy, as she untied her purse and emptied it upon the floor.

In a rattle and clatter several handful of doublebluff tiles fell out.

Behind Kay, Romana blinked and stood upon her tiptoes for a better view.

Carefully, like a child who didn't know the rules of the game might, she slowly and carefully set the tiles up in a row, one by one, curving this way and that.

Focused, she quietly spoke , often accenting her words with the careful click of a tile being set perfectly on edge.

"No."

It started with a simple word.

"No. You must never be Just Kadri. You must always be the Young Miss Terilanquel-Korie."

Clik-clik.

"The moment you aren't, the moment They get the slightest hint you aren't, Dorian Korie will disown you. Hadrian Montague will look the other way."

Clik.

"If you aren't, when your Fathers arrives tomorrow they will drag you from these rooms by your hair and not let go until you are in Amber Keep, in the Plains of Kaa."

Clik.

"Always remember the best lies are those that hold the most truth."

Kisa paused, holding a small tile in the air, hesitant in putting it down.

"The smart thing to have done was never come through the gates.

"To loose yourself in the shadows of the Dirkwood and the farms beyond the Blackwater.

"A runaway daughter, a Rhoni, a Jvrillian who is still loyal to Dag Brockman, a forgotten Koromov, the most loved Priestess on the other side of Silk Creek and an Eastern ... princess.

"Even you, Daxia.

"To come into the Keep, to come into this donjon, is an act of madness."

Clik.

Pause.

"What did Dominic ask you to do?"

Clik.

Pause.

"Dazi.

"I'm going to need a lot more tiles."

Gypsy #701237 Tue 04/03/14 18:13 UTC
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
Kathi

The young servant lass nodded to Cesare before crossing the room.

To the Mouse.

She'd whisper in the girl's ear before rising and heading to the door of the suite and carefully avoiding the girl stacking doublebuff tiles in a line.

Only when the door had closed behind them does she speak.

" ... My Lord has always liked Her. But then, he's strange too."

Without a word she lead Cesare up the stairs, climbing even higher into the tower. After several tight turns the stair actually ends. It ends in a long narrow corridor that cuts straight across the tower's diameter, ending in a sturdy door.

"That's where we keep the linens and other household items."

On each side of the corridor there were three doors, tightly and equally spaced.

"These are our rooms. Here's one that is not being used; My Lord ... doesn't have need for many of us."

The room is a narrow slot, ending in the curve of the tower. The walls are straight until about halfway up, then they are ringed with heavy timber and above sloped the rafter's of the tower's conical roof. Tucked beneath the roof's eaves is a simple window, allowing in light and air yet protected from the weather by the roof's overhang.

The room has a chest and a bedframe; where there should be a mattress or a tick is but a netting of sturdy rope.

"Its small, but how much does a body need?"

This is where the stair and tower ends; there is no other way up or down; perhaps for the simple reason that if an enemy was to get to this point, either the battle was lost or there was only one passage that needed to be defended.

Wolf #701243 Tue 04/03/14 19:47 UTC
Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Kadri

She looked over at Kisa and tilted her head to one side.

"Kadri Terilanquel-Korie has never been one for doing what was smart instead of what is right. If it is a choice between right and smart - then there is no choice at all. If i were interested mostly in 'smart' or 'safe', I would now be a Kierkegard. At some time the dance ends, and the predators catch the prey. Until then ..."

She kneels down and looks at the tiles curiously.

Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity

Daxia nodded and smiled slightly. Kisa’s words were more for the benefit of the others in the room. She understood the Heir’s unspoken words, the meaning beyond those she did speak, well enough in just the shake of Kisa’s head. She did watch carefully, however, as Kisa began setting up her tiles. She had far, far fewer tiles than were so often spread out across the floor of her rooms in Dawnview Castle. Dazi had seen the vast army of tiles less than a handful of times — the Dayalan was most often in the Khorall’s Great Hall when visiting the Castle, even at the Midwinter Festivals.

“Hmm... likely every set they have in the market, too.” She looked around the room. “Or perhaps not. There are more people littering Lord Dominic’s rooms than are generally found in yours, da?”

She paused then, looking from Kisa to Kadri, as if testing her own thoughts and finding them wanting. Blue eyes shifted then to look between the other two Dayalans in the room, seeing them... not seeing them... thinking, thinking, thinking... before she looked at Kisa again. Nodding almost imperceptibly to herself, she crouched on one knee beside Kisa but looked at Kadri.

“Please, Kadri... play the larger game fully, at least while we are here. I ask you this as your friend. You cannot be the Lady Wife of Lord Dominic in name only, as if the title is like a cloak you can shrug off when the day becomes warm.” Daxia glanced down at the tiles... and hesitated a moment with furrowed brows before looking at Kadri again. “There is no ‘right’ or ‘safe’ here. There is ‘smart’... and there is dead. And there are other lives depending on yours now.” She nodded to Mikal, and then Dominic’s two remaining servants, before tilting her head toward the door. “Your bodyguard and manservant... Dominic’s lad and lasses... Remember that there is only ‘smart’ and dead. And that means there is no difference between ‘right’ and ‘smart’. Da?”

She gave the tiles another look before pulling one of the painted tiles from her pouch, but simply held it as she leaned forward with forearms crossed on her raised knee. As she spoke, she studied the tiles.

“In the most flowery language, and without naming any names, a certain young scamp spoke of a Lady so kind, one who walked among the sick and broken of the Tarn, dispensing kindness and mercy and healing to one and all. It was rumored that this kind Lady was a collector of words, something unheard of in his small, tiny village where Father owned all the words, and none were left for anyone else in the village to use... though, I understood from the scamp’s speech that Father would sometimes share his words with those of the village, for them to use. If it pleased him to do so. But they were only and always Father’s words.

“Yet this Lady of whom he spoke had so many, many words of her own and would not need to ask Father for the use of his words. It was also rumored far and wide, or so the scamp said, and that this Lady was strong of spirit and fierce enough to face down a dragon if that’s what it took to reach one in need of her kindness and mercy and healing.

“The rapscallion wondered then if I might know of such a rumored Lady of Kindness. I had to admit that I did, for I do.” She glanced up at Bekkah with a quick smile before turning her attention back to the tiles. She shook her head, and replaced the tile in her hand with another from the pouch at her waist.

“There is one, he said, in this small village of his who is in dire need of such a Lady, and because of this need, the one of whom he spoke is in no small amount of danger from Brother and, I fear even more so, Brother’s Wife.

“Madness, you said, Kisa... oh, you cannot begin to imagine the tap, tap, tapping in the very marrow of my bones upon hearing that somewhere far off, in some tiny village, there was a weak and defenseless person who might be in danger.”

Daxia looked up from the tiles, looked into emerald eyes. “What is it that our Lady commands us to do if we are to serve Her? That we stand against the Chaos, yes... but to also defend those who cannot defend themselves. Even if we are only buying time.

“It is why Kay has that puzzled look on her face every time she moves to protect Romana.

“And the young scamp only wants this unknown brother safe; he cares not where.”

She straightened and held out the tile in her hand.

Sea of Fog.

“This belongs in your pattern. Yes. As is... confusion, truths and lies bound within each other. But it will fall reversed. A chance for the truth.”

With her free hand, Dazi waggled her fingers. “Coin, coin... you need many tiles to surround this one.”

But then the Starrider stopped motionless, and held absolutely still for a handful of heartbeats... looking at Kisa, but not really looking at Kisa.

“Dayala say help girl,” she whispered, “and Dazi, Dazi friends help girl. Dayala say free Priestesses. Dazi, Dazi friends hurry up free Priestesses. Dayala not say learn truth, Dazi learn anyway, make Immortal cranky.” She slowly, slowly turned to the elder Dayalan in the room, looking up into the eyes of Captain Koromov, her own eyes narrowing.

“They’re slowing the news from the Lowside, aren’t they?”

Kel #701261 Wed 05/03/14 03:03 UTC
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
Captain Dandelion Koromov and Dama Kisa Lynette Allaine

The tall Dayalan Captain spoke but a single word, curt and annoyed.

"No."

As the elder Koromov spoke the Heiress of Dawnview Vale sat up a bit, upon folded knees. She held up her hand.

"Do not ask where the Wild Horde is. There should be no question in anybody's mind. Captan Koromov's Wilde Horde should be wherever folks would normally expect it would be."

She'd then cast Daxia a sidelongs glance.

"Interesting.

"Both you and Captain Koromov are right."

... and Ekaterina Koromov

The youngest Dayalan looked between the heiress and the mercenary, blinked and with the finger of one hand sketched something on the palm of her other hand.

"Wait? Both right? How can both ... be ... right.

"Wait.

"Whoever they are, they ain't slowin' the news.

"They's stopping it."

Wolf #701277 Wed 05/03/14 13:56 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

He follows Kathi, looking around him as they go, counting the steps, timing the walk in his head, getting a feel for this space. And he doesn't like it. Whereas it has the advantage that it is a place which would likely escape notice, if that notice falls, then there is nowhere to go.

He crosses to the window to look out, not expecting to find anything more to his liking but it would place the location in the larger ill formed map in his mind.

Then he turns to Kathi.

"Can I see the other rooms? There are 3 of you, two female - and three of us all male - to fit in here. We may need to beg, steal or borrow even to put together a makeshift arrangement. You are those in residence and so I would like to hear your suggestions on how this might work. All three of us newcomers are used to travel and use to sleeping out, so we have blankets and such, and have no need of special treatment."

He smiles, hoping he speaks for the other two but fairly confident that he does - and anyway there will be little in the way of choice here.

"We do not wish to make anything more difficult for any of you and I know you can help us to make this easier by explaining the layout of the keep, who to avoid, who may grant aid if we need it, all the things you have spent years learning - but we do not have that luxury. I think we can work together, are you willing to help us?"

That was quite a lot of talking for a mostly reticent Rhoni but there are times when it is needed. He mostly only talked with Darian whom he misses and hopes she is alright; probably safer than he is right now.

Gypsy #701615 Sun 09/03/14 16:30 UTC
Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity

Dazi just looked at Kisa. The prohibition on not speaking of the Horde... well, that made sense. Because wherever they were, Dandy did not sound overjoyed about it. Ah yes, there was a tale in that annoyance, and the younger Dayalan very much wanted to hear that tale from the elder Dayalan!

Kisa’s further comment almost caused her best friend to groan...

...because she had reached the same conclusion Kay had. Daxia merely had years of experience watching Kisa, coming to understand Kisa — as much as anyone could, anyway — and was able to get to that conclusion much faster.

Dazi reached for Kisa’s closest hand and placed the tile in the center of her palm, then curled the Heir’s fingers over it.

“I should give you all of them, you know — except the first two. Horse and Castle are implied anyway. This is the one that feels right, though.”

She set her raised knee on the floor, and then sat back on her heels, palms resting on her thighs. Looking between Kisa and Dandy, she gave each of them a long appraising look before sighing and shaking her head. Oh, Dazi very much wanted to know what the two of them were up to... and despite that, she had a feeling that she really, really didn’t want to know.

“Really, Kisa? You left the Vale with only one set of tiles?” she asked lightly. “I know that it’s rare enough for anyone to carry a single set, but who’s going to gainsay you a handful?” The Dayalan looked sidelong at the Heir, a hint of a smile on her face. “The Snowqueen can’t still have her private side as the odd, bookish Heir who has an unusual fondness for Doublebluff tiles?” She held out a hand to her friend. “Come now... I’ll need your treasury to fetch you more, for Dayala knows I have no wealth.” Daxia’s smile grew a bit. “And it will be interesting to see what manner of merchants reside in this grand city.”

She looked up at Romana, and tilted her head thoughtfully.

“Like the new of Attera’s Ladies, I think I might like a new necklace... one that has two stars.”

Gypsy #701624 Sun 09/03/14 21:46 UTC
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood

Cesare ... and Kathi.

The servant slowly counts on her fingers, giving Cesare an odd look.

"I thought so ... three an' three is six, so we should actually have rooms for all of us, being family retainers. Which is good; the Mouse is awful particular about her room and the last time we disturbed it it too a month to get her to go back to it ..."

Slowly she walked down the short corridor, "James has this one here, across from the empty one and nearest the stair, then its mouse here, and then me, Mouse being safely between us."

As she walks she opens the doors on the empty side, one at a time. Save for a slight change in size governed by the circumference of the tower they match the first. he linens room is last and it is true to its naming- with racks of bedding and similar wares stored. There are some casks and chests set against one wall.

"That's supplies in case something awful happens. TheGuard are supposed to change them out once a month, but they tend to forget as things have been so peaceful for generations."

She'd set herself upon one of the casks and smooth out her skirts.

"Well its quite simple, really. There are three towers against the back of the main holdfast; one for the young Lord, one for the heir and one for the other for master Tray. the top of the tower are the noble suites ... that's a fancy word for bedrooms and such. below, in the tower, are the rooms for the guests.

"So of course the Montagues are in the heir's towers, the Kierkegaard's are in Master Trays and the Allaines and Corliss, well of course they are below us. The Larsens are in the main keep, as they are the other highsiders; we don't have anyone from Brockman's here this year.

"Oh and they clear entrance court for the Amber folks, as the Khorall will not have them bringing their horses into the great hall.'

Nodding to the stairs she'd continue.

"Now the stairs for each tower, they run its entireness, from top to bottom ... and then to the storerooms and cellars. Now about a quarter of the way up, there's a big set of anterooms that open out into the gallery - you must have seen that, the gallery that looks down onto the great hall where all the commotion was when you arrived."

She leaned forward,

"Is she really a princess?"

She then leaned back.

"Now the gallery level is important. It's also the level where the Khorall's visiting rooms are and the upper gardens atop the great hall. Now what's also important are the stairs; from the gallery down they are for servants only; the grand stairs that serve the court and the keep rooms themselves are only for the Nobility and their guests. We are not to be seen on them ...

"Like all good retainers, its best that we are never seen; we are invisible, or to the most extent possible. Of course that's not possible in the towers, but it is imperative in the main keep. Also be careful; the Khorall's retainers, they are right proud and all, being the Khorall's servants. you don't want to cross them and you don't want to be found in their halls without an order from our young Lord.

"Which is kind of tough with our Lord out on his Adventures."

That brought a frown, but only for a few heartbeats.

"Now the kitchen is behind the Great Hall, literally on the other side of the big fireplace. The pantries are below of course ... and its neutral territory managed by the Cooks. No not between us and the nobles, but between each group of retainers ... though of course, its wise not to push things. We usually get up early, to get the Mouse to breakfast first ... and then we wait, and get our lunch and dinners after the others.

"And of course we will help you.

"You belong to the Young Miss ... and we to Her Lord."

Kel #701626 Sun 09/03/14 22:02 UTC
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood

Mikal, Dean, Kadri ... Daxia ... Bekkah ... Kay, Kandelion, Kisa, James and a Mouse

The heiress took the offered tile, turning it over her her fingers. smiling quietly before setting it apart from all the others, not part of any chain. But it is very definitely ... placed.

"It is a good piece. But it is a piece for their pattern ... we are trying to banish it from ours. Theirs will come ... and it is very very important to keep Dorian Korie off balance.

"The Montagues too ... except ... except not as much. They need to be lead.

"Pushing them off balance is like baiting a bear."

As Daxia continued, without even looking, Kisa untied her purse and handed it upwards; a simple move.

"They have good jewelers here. Though Doublebluff tiles will be hard to find. But that is fine. See what the children play with and get those.

"We can't forget this is Talantal and not Dawnview Castle."

Wolf #701633 Mon 10/03/14 11:11 UTC
Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity

“I have learned enough...”

Daxia paused and spared a glance for Mikal, and then another for Romana, her jaw tight as she breathed and remembered... remembered a grove off the Brementown Road, and a home long abandoned beyond Brockman’s Holdfast...

“I have learned enough to know that ‘bear’ might not be the most apt description of that Family,” she said, looking at Kisa again... remembering, remembering the foul horrors of a Temple thought long abandoned. “But I would not speak of that particular family pet here, except to say that it takes a unique talent to lead it along.”

She nods and smiles, her mood lightening as she takes Kisa’s purse. “A fine tale it might be to spread among the merchants that perhaps I have many nieces and nephews and small cousins who would each like to have their own set come Midwinter. I’m sure their imaginary mothers will be grateful for peace that will descend upon the households for the lack of squabbling.” She paused a heartbeat. “Hmm. And the tale would be less interesting, to be sure, if my hair color matched my sister’s.”

Dazi stood and raised an eyebrow as she looked down at Kisa, sitting on the floor of Lord Dominic’s rooms in the same way she would sit on the floor of her own rooms. “I doubt I could forget it, Kisa. This place has little in common with Dawnview beyond the builders being Sisters long forgotten even to Kay and Verchovai Tashka. I fear it has more in common with Cragside, an observation that I will be sure to never repeat.” She glanced again at Romana. “Or perhaps another place that will not be named at all.”

Again leaving seriousness aside for a moment, she looked to Kisa with a mischievous glint in her eye as she tied the pouch to her own belt. “You will be quite safe with the Captain and her cousin, my Liege. So, if you can spare me for a short time, I will fetch as many Doublebluff sets as I have small imaginary relatives.”

Dazi looked at Bekkah then... almost smiling, but then — again — remembering the uproar in the Great Hall. “And I expect you are anxious to show Romana the relative safety of your Orders lodging here, yes? I’ll walk with you that far, if you’d like.”

Kel #701654 Mon 10/03/14 12:57 UTC
Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Kadri;

After a long pause, she speaks quietly

"I meant to say that if there is a opportunity to do something right for another, my personal safety can go hang. And outside where I am sitting - outside that door - believe me, I know the wolves are circling. I know. I looked right into the eyes of a wolf. Talia is as close to pure malice as I have ever seen, and the lord Korie has enough rage to kill with that alone - I looked into the bear's eyes as well. I know that instead of prey, I have to be a viper in the pit of vipers. For my sanity, however, I need to at least pretend, in this room, to be plain Kadri. Out there?"

The corner of her mouth quirks, as does an eyebrow.

"I must play their game - and will."

She moves back to a chair, gets a drink, sips, then sits with her chin in her hands.

Last edited by Art in the Blood; Mon 10/03/14 13:26 UTC.
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Mikal

He frowns slightly, though his expression eases in mutual compassion.

"Kadri, I think Cesare's warning is well taken. Staying in character, as a Terilanquel-Korie needs to be done everywhere. Even here. Until we find a place we know with life-gambling certainty is secure from other eyes and ears we cannot risk you being just Kadri."

He looks around.

"Perhaps that may turn out to be here, in this room, but people like these", he turns to Kisa, "my apologies to present company".

He turns back to Kadri. "People like those, are almost certain to have spies and spy holes everywhere. We can never be certain we aren't being watched or listened to anywhere we go inside Talantal. Even now, though I think our surprise appearance here may give us a few hours before they can get things in place."

"Keeping up appearances at all times could be a life or death thing. And keep in mind that you have some protection, as Lady Korie and the wife of Dominie. We, your servants do not. If they become annoyed enough at you they could kill one of us just to spite you, and we'd have little recourse."

Last edited by Zeim; Mon 10/03/14 14:02 UTC.
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Wolf 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Talon475, Randal Trimmer, Kimf, Yvon, TennesseeBaron
177 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Member Spotlight
Gryphon
Gryphon
California
Forum Statistics
Forums103
Topics2,845
Posts140,815
Members177
Most Online296
Jan 19th, 2020
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
†Restricted forums can only be accessed by DreamLyrics members of the age of 18 years or older. Access which is granted by the Behind Closed Doors Procedure.
™DreamLyrics Play-by-Post. DreamLyrics Play-by-Post does not own copyright on DreamLyrics texts or graphics, except trademarked DreamLyrics logos and logotypes. The works contained in DreamLyrics are copyrighted (automatically, under the Berne Convention) by the original authors and may be available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence. (See Copyrights for details.)
Privacy Policy