Eye of the Dragon
DreamLyrics Play-by-Post
Who's Online Now
1 members (Asta), 67 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Dice Roller
You will need to enable Javascript in order to view the Dice Roller.
Games Recruiting List

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#698727 Sun 19/01/14 18:18 UTC
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
The Rampant Bear, a half day out of Talantal
Morning, Attaday, the twenty-seventh day of Dragon

Bekkah, Daxia, Darian, Mikal, Jankin, Dean, Cesare, Kadri ... Morning Star, Longtooth, Kay and Romana

... several weeks later ...

Many things can happen in several weeks; it is long enough for the very basics of horsemanship can be taught, it is long enough for sore muscles and bruises to both show and fade away as Lisica tests who is the one really in control. It is time enough to learn how to sight and fire a crossbow and actually hit the broad side a barn. And half a out of Talantal, at a roadside tavern - the Rampant Bear - it was long enough to walk across the cobbled street to barter with the smith for use of his forge and anvil.

It is long enough to learn that a feisty young swordswoman has a modicum of skill, though definitely rough around the edges, as if her learning came mostly from surviving the battlefield; that is, no fancy practiced katas, no formal discipline, only the base pragmatic necessity to win at any cost.

Or to put it simply, Kay cheats.

It is most certainly long enough for the children of this outskirt village to learn that if they come bearing apples, they can pet a unicorn.

And equally long enough for curious Knights to learn that no matter how haughty their airs can be they pale beneath that of His Magnificence.

"Oooooooooo Denny! Lookit that, its a Knight from the keep, in all his polished armor!"

"Ah-yup."

"But he isn't movin?"

"Ah-yup."

"Is there a reason he ain't movin?"

"Ah-yup."

"Do you know the reason?"

"Ah-yup."

"Then tell me, you berk!"

"Like in a mirror and all, Blackie ain't done lookin' at his reflection."

"So?"

"Every time the Knight moves, Blackie stomps on his foot."

"Oh."

"Gone through three Squires and two Knights, so far."

"Three Squires and two Knights?"

"Ah-yup."

It is also long enough to discover that fresh hunted meat and properly harvested herbs and wild vegetables can be traded not just for board at the tavern but they pay enough refill the small group's collection of coin. This close to the great keep such skills are rare and thus both Jankin and Darian and Longtooth find themselves in great demand. Though Longtooth did not escape mishap - his nose now bears several rat bites, after discovering that urban rodents are much fiercer than their country counterparts.

That, however, made a simple hunt a greater and thus more enjoyable challenge. Trust Khannish to provide.

And while Darian knew that Longtooth was fit companion against fearsome wolves and bears, the tavern master had true appreciation for a good rat catcher and made sure the ruff was well rewarded.

It was also long enough for black hair to grow white and for Bekkah to make a both fortunate and unfortunate discovery. Her new charge was a voracious learner - and wile Romana was attentive, sharp, and rarely had to be taught anything twice her thirst for knowledge seemed boundless, willing to go deep into the night until exhaustion made her final question for the a snore. She was diligent in her practice, too ...

"DAXIA!"

The Dayalan mentor would have had to look hard across the commons, hearing the cry of her student.

"GET ME OUTTA HERE!"

Indeed, it seemed her ward had vanished, lost beneath bindings white. Romana looked pleased, satisfied, until she spied a mistake and then started to wrap Kay up even more to fix it.

"This is NOT fair ... In Her name ... she's NOT ... supposed ... to be so ..."

Kay's look would be as if trying to send a minotaur deep into the earth.

" ... nice.

"Bah.

"Teach me how to be faster in gettin' away."

Romana's white hair would not go unnoticed. White hair, rare, unthinkable.

"Who is she ...

"Is she fey ... or ... cor ... she can't be ..."

"Does it matter, husband?"

"Of course it does!"

"It didn't when she sat up with Gwynnie when she was taken with fever. All night."

Romana would, however, still wear her floppy hat.

Except, of course, for a more important reason.

"Romanas likes!"

Being half a day out from Talantal had both its advantages and disadvantages. While on this trail one missed the traffic going in and out of the largest city save for that coming from Brockman's or Montague. Two days before every marketday the farmers would stream in, rest a night and then continue to the city, to make sure that they would be set up and trading at the proper time. Couriers would more than occasionally dash back and forth, carrying missives between the Nobles of Talantal and their manors and the two neighboring keeps, prompting a droll notice from the youngest Dayalan.

"You know ... they are sendin' an awful lot of messages back and forth, either someone's all moon calfy and lovey dovey or someone don't trust another well too much."

This would only increase as Midsummer's came closer and closer. It also meant that most folks passed through the villagelet's small square when She was at her highest.

The heralding of the time would come with the passage of the Montague contingent. They would not stop or halt, for that would be to recognize the lower caste they promenaded through. It was a large contingent. It began with horsemen bearing banners gray, followed by fiercely armored guards. The personages ... tall and grim ... rode on their splendidly mantled mounts, Khorall, Damas, the Warlord - in deed the temperature seemed to fall several degrees when Jakal Montague rode through. If his gaze was caught, afterwards on may have felt that a hot bath was necessary; as if he saw the menfolk only in terms of blood upon his sword and the women folk as bedmates, agreeable or not. They passed through the little hamlet as victors, for it was only in their wake that the representative of Brockman's Holdfast followed. The noble's guard, they wore mantling of many shades of gray; the only one's bearing the colors of the dusted fields the aged Khorall Dag himself and his trio of retainers; and of the three there was a disturbing note - none of is retainers, it appeared, had been allowed to bear armor or arms.

This gray rade was the announcement that Midsummer's council would be starting in but a few days.

Upon the next, of course, came further news, carried by merchants and farmers.

" .. aye ... they have arrived. And surprising too; don't the Kierkegaards usually follow in the Vale's wake? Though it is always a joy to see them arrive - how can ones so practical seem so fine. Destriers walking in perfect rhythm, not a hoof beat out of place, furs so fine and yet nary a cut for vanity? They rode as if they were a summer breeze, slow and proper and unstoppable."

" ... is it true that the gates of Talantal got choked when the western folks passed through? That so many children thronged about the Larsen's that all traffic stopped from noon till almost dusk? That both Khorall Tieg and Dama Clarissa refused to move on - despite the demands of the Korie Knights - until they had met and greeted every last one of them all personal like?"

" ... I don't think anyone noticed when Corliss slipped through ... sneaky lot ..."

Finally, upon this Attaday, one of the younger lads, he'd tumble into the tavern all breathless.

" ... she's back. They done sent her back. But this time, cor, laddie ... upon a tall warhorse with that rogue grey splash upon it's neck, jiminy, he's a SHE!

"Aye, aye ... Dawnview's come past the gates, all in their black and white and silver and their bloody mercenary guard.

" ... but it ain't their Khorall they sent ...

" ... still, quiet, small and when she looks at you its as if she looks into your soul and heart ... chilled me to the bones it did.

" ... by the time they passed into the fifth ring ...

" ... they were already calling the lass Snowqueen."

Wolf #698729 Sun 19/01/14 20:14 UTC
Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Kadri:

In the interim, Kadri had spent her time - when not teaching Cesare about horses - repairing the outfit she had brought with her, and making sure it fit - acquiring whatever pieces were needed to complete the ensemble. She carefully practiced holding herself with a 'proper' carriage, and adapting her mode of speech - every part of the 'disguise' as it were must be right.

"Romana - white hair, white robes - I may just go blind looking at you."

She smiles, winks.

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Mikal

During the intervening weeks Mikal has spent time working with Cesare on the crossbow but also a lot of time practicing with the broadsword and shield with Daxia. He'd had his short sword ripped from his hand on two critical occasions on the trip here and he wants to make sure he becomes as proficient with another style of fighting as he is with short sword and dagger.

He also spends some time with Kadri asking her if she wants to have all of those in her retinue wear any sort of "House Colors", and if so looks into where they might get some new clothes. Otherwise he is happy to wear his normal clothes and armour.

Zeim #698750 Sun 19/01/14 22:43 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

Cesare has learned about riding and about firing the crossbow. He has also shown Kadri some of the herbs he has gathered and how to use them to get the best flavours.

Finally also he has the use of a forge to make a dagger for Mikal to pay his debt.

Although he would have liked to spend some time relaxing with Darian, she is hunting with Longtooth and providing much needed services as well as gaining income. He will do what he can via foraging to earn some coin, it will be good to regain some independence, though they seem well established in their relationship now, so much so that most things are shared.

Gypsy #698751 Sun 19/01/14 23:20 UTC
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
(OOC - Gypsy - Anything special about the dagger?)

Zeim #698752 Sun 19/01/14 23:43 UTC
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
[[ooc note - also, your replies should move you into the courts of Talantal, since that's where the people you are all wanting to see or be, for one reason or another, are collecting ... the hows and manners of your first impressions will be important ... you may presume you can make it through the Rings and into the grand hall if need be! Just stop at your entrance, so I can describe what you find there]]

Wolf #698753 Sun 19/01/14 23:47 UTC
Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
OOC: IN my next set)

Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Daxia

Teaching, training, and... surprisingly... laughing took up much of the red haired Dayalan’s time. Not that most of the laughter was very loud, especially when watching the interactions between Morning Star and the Squires and Knights of Rames. She did feel particularly bad for the third Squire, however. He looked to be even younger than Kay, and tried so hard to maintain a proper demeanor when Morning Star stepped on his foot. The youngster reminded her — ever so slightly, of course — of Dean. She’d wandered over to the pair and patted Morning Star on the neck.

“Now, now, Your Magnificence... I need to remind you that the shiny lads only have two feet that are considerably more delicate than yours. Don’t hurt the nice shiny lads, da?” Daxia motioned the lad to move off while he had the chance. “Don’t worry, dear friend. There are plenty more where he came from. And if they ever get bored playing this little game with you, perhaps Dean would let you stare at his shiny self.” Daxia shook her head, several strands from her mop of hair falling across her face. “Well, of course! He’s our Squire, so that’s probably why it’s not as much fun to play with him.”

And later... a different day, at a different time... she laughed heartily at Romana’s bandaging of her Initiate. “Well done, Romana! I don’t think I’ve ever see bandages so finely wrapped!” Blue eyes inspected the younger Dayalan. “Well, first of all, Kay, she’s a Lady of Attera... she’s supposed to be nice. And second, if you want to evade Romana’s ministrations, you’re going to have to learn how to do that on your own.” She grinned at Kay. “I’ll give you a hint, though... there’s a lesson for you to learn here. And it’s not the same one I had to learn by carrying a leaky bucket up a hill every day.”

Another day, another afternoon after demonstrating to Kay that, while it may well work when sparring with Dean, cheating would do her little good when sparring with her teacher... after all, her teacher’s teacher had been a bit of a cheater herself. It saved time, which left more time for watching clouds. “Hmm... more of the latter, I’d guess. There’s much more distrust in this part of the world than lovey dovey moony calf eyes.”

There had been time to get her shield painted properly, and time to get Kay the things she needed. There’d been time — precious little of it, true — for chatting with Bekkah. Dazi was so very happy for Romana, and excited that she was such a voracious learner, but... ah, well. She and Bekkah had gone years without seeing one another, and only the occasional letter to keep them connected. What was a Council season in Talantal compared to that?

Finally... finally... today, when the lad came running in to tell of Dawnview’s arrival, Daxia had smiled. It would be good to see Dandy and the Horde again.

Her heart did a somersault at the mention of the Snowqueen. So she was playing that role instead of the scattered, strange, bookish Heir, eh? Oh, but it would be more than good to see Kisa again!

“Come along, Kay! That’s our cue. Go change into your best... yes, yes... your best is hardly the finest anymore. I’m sure Lord Kisa will be quite understanding.” She stood at looked at those in the tavern commons with her. “My duty is to Dawnview, but I’m sure our paths will cross. This is likely to be a most interesting Council. The Wild Horde and the Snowqueen?”

Dazi hugged Bekkah. “I know you and your Initiate will take good care of our delicate Amber princess.” She winked at Kadri. Turning to Mikal, she nodded. “And you’ll watch their backs, I know. I hope your duties will allow you the opportunity to greet your Brothers in Dandy’s troop.” Her eyes touched each of them, perhaps lingering a bit longer on Darian and Jankin. “Stay safe, my friends.”

Having been prepared for this day, it didn’t take long for Daxia to gather her belonging and dress in her Temple finest. Morning Star’s coat had been brushed to perfection — which was nothing unusual, as he quite rightly insisted that was his proper due each day — and the mark of the Two Stars on his neck was already perfect.

The two Dayalans set out for Grand Talantal, the elder riding the big black Unicorn... the younger walking beside them.

“I’ll rub your head if you fidget, Kay.”

“And no staring at yourself in the shiny lads’ armor, Morning Star. There will be plenty of time to do that later.”

Part of the Dawnview party, she told the Korie Knights... each one of them. With her black and silver surcoat, the two silver stripes on her shield, riding a Unicorn for Dayala’s sake... she’d have thought it unnecessary to make clear what was clearly obvious. Protocol... protocol... protocol...

Daxia had a feeling she was going to be reminded every minute of this Council session why she was a Wild Dayalan. The only reason she wasn’t fidgeting herself was thing thought of Kassia standing behind her. Or riding behind her. Come to think of it, Dandy could be just as intimidating... though in an entirely different way. Oddly, thinking about that one sparring session she’d had with Barris calmed Dazi’s nerves considerably. She wondered if there’d be time for another lesson...

First, though, she needed to find the stables for Morning Star... and then she needed to find Kisa.

"Everything is bad except unicorns." -- Phoebe
Kel #698768 Mon 20/01/14 03:11 UTC
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
<<of course ... if you wish you can all accompany Daxia, since your "chosen roles" also end up at the same grand hall>>

Wolf #698769 Mon 20/01/14 03:24 UTC
Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
[OOC: I was not going to be so bold as to suggest Dazi would immediately find Kisa in the Grand Hall, especially since she's first looking for the stables where the Wild Horde have been assigned. One might even venture a guess that the Snowqueen could just as easily be found in her rooms as in the Grand Hall.

But if our intention is to cement our relationship as a single group in the eyes of the Kories -- not something I'm sure we want to do, but we could discuss that over in the OOC thread -- then everyone tagging along is a good idea. If, however, we are seemingly separate groups with seemingly separate agendas, then everyone tagging along might not be the best idea.

Food for thought.]

Kel #698770 Mon 20/01/14 03:38 UTC
Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Dama Kadri djinn Khayriyah djinn Terilanquel al'Korie

Hopefully with some assistance from Romana and Bekkah, Kadri finished preparing. She had made no pretense of being inconspicuous this time. Everything she wore was calculated to draw attention. Her face is highlighted, for the first time since they have seen her, with cosmetics - a quite different look for her. She walked forth with a smooth and even gait, more a glide across the ground than a walk. Her carriage was erect and straight, and her shoulders back and chin up. Between the clothing, the cosmetics and the change in gait and carriage - she was, perhaps, almost unrecognizable.

[Linked Image]

Lisica was likewise brushed and decorated.

"... well, we will see if Kadri djinn Khayriyah djinn Terilanquel al'Korie fits the mold."

Her accent was back in evidence, speaking of the plains of Amber, but with a more educated tinge to it.

"Cesare, while you are with me I may from time to time speak more abruptly to you, or more ... demanding. Know that I mean nothing by it but that it is a role I need play. You are the ... manservant. A trusted - very much trusted - person who helps see to my needs -- and of course, those of Lisica - which should, if needed, give you much excuse for moving back and forth from where I am to wherever you need to go. Wear this ... you as well, Mikal - and it should associate you with me."

She looks to Mikal.

"You, I think, know your job and I need tell you nothing about it, and I would be a fool to try to tell you your business. It will be a great comfort to have you there. The same things I said to Cesare apply - if I sound like I am showing you less than your due respect - I mean nothing by it. You are also an adviser - so you are expected to give your opinion - and I doubt you will have much problem playing that role."

She looks again between both Mikal and Cesare, then over at Bekkah and Romana.

"Please, tell me if I am about to do something stupid."

She grins, and winks at him.

Last edited by Art in the Blood; Mon 20/01/14 04:55 UTC.
Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
[OOC: Asked and answered. See Post 697981, particularly paragraph 11:

“But keep in mind the alliance between Allaine and Amber. By attaching yourself to me, to Allaine, you risk not only that alliance, but you put yourself in a weaker position in regards to your family. You are in the strongest position to both evade your family and help our cause through distractions as Kadri, bride of Lord Dominic Korie.”

Sorry... I just don't want to keep having the same conversations over and over, or even variations on the theme. I don't have time, and I don't have the interest. My mental health is precarious; as Mokie can attest, I'm so overworked that I've contemplated putting both his boss and the president of the college on my List; and as Pam can attest, the person at work who DOES keep asking the same questions over and over (or variations on the theme) IS on The List. When RPG situations mirror RL situations too closely, I'm going to simply ignore them. Or flip out. That's happened, too.

Now... let's just move along. Nothing to see here. Dazi and Elvis have left the building.]

Kel #698772 Mon 20/01/14 04:59 UTC
Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
(Thats cool. I was originally not going to mention it at all, but just stuck that last sentence in there to bring the OOC question in 698769 IC. but now .. see, it has been removed and we can skip the topic altogether easily with no skin off anyone's knuckles)

[ooc: Forgive my slowness ...]
Bekkah

She hid her smile as Romana thoroughly wrapped Kay in bandages.

"Well she will be protected from infection, which is good Romana. But what if you have another couple hands worth of people to aid. Will you have enough bandages at this rate? Also, keep in mind that while we would prefer that a person with injuries worth bandaging would rest, they seldom listen. Sometimes they cannot afford to, such is the realities of conflict. So it is best to use the least amount of bandage that will keep the wound from becoming worse, but still allow the person to continue with their tasks.

"Remove those and try again, this time using the least amount as possible. Kay, thank you for your patience." she said still fighting to hide a smirk.

It was obvious to anyone close to Bekkah that she was close to exhaustion. Romana pushed her as hard as any student in her efforts to learn everything as fast as possible. Despite wearing out her teacher, she was an excellent student. She did everything Bekkah asked of her and it was clear she really wanted to be a Lady of Attera. She most certainly was not doing this out of need. Once that had been clear and Romana fully understood what she was getting into, Bekkah performed the initiation rites, welcoming her as an initiate of Attera. The ceremony was a quick, quiet thing with all of the group bearing witness.

Nivek #698802 Mon 20/01/14 17:08 UTC
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Mikal

He puts on the item Kadri provides that indicates he is part of her retinue, although he wears all his armour, cleaned to a shiny finish naturally, and all his weapons, including the new dagger he received from Cesare.

He follows Kadri's retinue, frequently changing position. Sometimes walking ahead, when sight-lines are not good to ensure a clear path and sometimes behind or alongside depending on the configuration of the street, building, and crowd. He takes in the rings of the city they pass through, marking their route as well as potential escape route and good options for defensive positions or buildings. He notes the crowd, listening to their conversations but filtering through it for comments regarding their group.

He nods to Kadri's comment, replying, "As your bodyguard, I expect to listen to you in all areas other than things that impact your physical protection. Should I give you a forceful, perhaps abrupt, instruction to do something, I will need you to listen without question. You have my apology in advance if I sound rude, but I may not have time to argue or explain myself."

Zeim #698818 Mon 20/01/14 21:06 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

He too dons the 'colours'.

"Don't worry about how you speak to me, my lady."

He grins.

"Whatever you say, I can guarantee I've had worse - I'll just have to watch answering back."

He chuckles, but then looks more serious as he turns to Mikal.

"However, if we need a distraction, it could be a good one. Just don't hit me too hard."

He takes a moment for a whispered conversation with Darian and a quick but fierce embrace before he takes his 'place' at Liscia's head to walk alongside the horse Kadri is riding.

He is pleased that Mikal is taking the dagger he made. He had been taught the craft by his Uncle and crafted it in the Rhoni tradition, searching for the soul in the blade, working long and hard to fold the metal seeking the point where it stands on its own. It is lighter and stronger than most daggers, built for fighting. Cesare has a matched pair of his own.

OOC note: This is the folded steel tradition found in the crafting of traditional Japanese swords.

Gypsy #698980 Thu 23/01/14 21:06 UTC
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
[[ooc note - I take it this means everyone is riding for the 5th Ring? Which makes things easier ... on me!]]

[[oh and a curious tidbit of information I just stumbled upon. Tamahagane steel; the steel blooms used in traditional Japanese steel manufacture was a processed source of steel - simply put, the iron sand found in Japan was not as good an ore as found in the West so they used this technique to simply get to a sword grade steel. Folding steel was a process familiar across the known world; in Japan it was taken a higher level of sophistication.]]

Last edited by Wolf; Thu 23/01/14 21:06 UTC.
Wolf #699000 Fri 24/01/14 00:13 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
[OOC Thanks, interesting! And we are all heading that way but maybe not Jankin, maybe not Darian smile ]

Gypsy #699011 Fri 24/01/14 03:34 UTC
Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
OOC:(Yup. It would appear so. Although not in a manner of being evidently _together_ as such, at least not all of us)

Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Talantal, the Grand Duchy of Talantal
Late Morning, Attaday, the twenty-seventh day of Dragon

Bekkah, Daxia, Darian, Mikal, Jankin, Dean, Cesare, Kadri ... Morning Star, Longtooth, Kay and Romana

"My best? My finest?"

Simple words took the once-farmgirl by a token of surprise. She looked behind her, for by the will and generosity of those she rode wih, practiced with and been bandaged by, she now did have more than sword and shield and armor. Koromov now had clothes, a pack, some travelling gear, a change or two of tunics and in preparation for their Midsummer's masquerade di hav something that could be considered her best, her finest.

But she just looked at the finery, her head canting to the side.

And chose different.

" ... you said, the dama-heiress would understand, right?"

As she spoke, she did consider one bit of extravagance, reaching back behind her to gather her long hair in a equally long pony tail, binding it with a ribbon of faded white, tying a bow that was definitely awkward and off balance. That she refused to let any correct.

" ... Lily-kin's ribbon."

Was all she would say to that.

Passage through the first Ring of Talantal was fairly straight forward, one small group just a little ahead of the next. Foreigners coming through the gate was not an unusual sight, per se. It was Midsummer, it was the council, and thus strangers of all sorts and kinds passed through the gates; indeed the Amber contingent had yet to arrive which was the usual gauge of difference. Though perhaps for the first time they would lose that distinction.

"See I toldja ... a unicorn, a unicorn. Black as midnight! They do exist, see, see see ..."

"You know it doesn't look all that friendly."

"Cor ... it looks fiercer than one of the Khorall's destriers."

"Cor ... it is a destrier ..."

The second little group caused just as much speculation as the first, for the regalia of the Plains of Kaa was both bold and recognizable. Lisica for sure, the exotic plainswoman clothing unmistakable. And an entourage all proper and sure, in deed it was a fine lady who was riding up the finely paved road into the most grand of the colonial cities. Though there would be more than a few whispers.

"They are here, they are here, they are .... hey, where's the rest of them?"

"... oooooooooooooooo ... so so so pretty ..."

"Where are the Amber Lords? What manner of insult is this!"

"Which one ..."

" ... I don't understad; why isn't she bearing the banners of Kaa?"

"The fine lady ... "

"Is there trouble between the Halahmbrah and the Kories?"

"The Lady of Attera ..."

" ... well you know how they feel about the Montagues."

"Her apprentice ..."

"Her apprentice?

"By Krysta's cold heart ..."

The first ring of Talantal, by far the largets and most ample was aptly and commonly called the Commoner's Ring. While the slum like villagelets clung to the keep's outside walls, if you had a modicum of coin and success you could find a home here. The houses were mostly single storied, with thatched roofs, and there were scatterings of gardens and open spaces. Come Marketday these places would be filled with farmers selling their harvests; definitely full of bustle and trade. Entrance to the Commoner's Ring was almost a matter of course, the guards, knowing that this was one of the lowest postings, were a touch bored and nonchalant - the barest identification needed. In this case all it took were a noble's fine clothes, the gold crosses of an Imperial church and the natural place of those who serve that provided passage. Indeed it was only as they passed beneath the double portcullis and halfway towards the next gate that one of them turned to the other with a shocked,

"What did we just let through ..."

The second ring of Talantal was the Craftsman's Ring. This portion of the city attracted Bekkah's attention, because this was the ring where the jeweler's shops were. Sturdy half timbered affairs of two stories, housing places where things were made and where their makers lived. Blacksmiths and their forges; indeed all the various types of smithing each with their own place - armorers, swordsmiths, tinkers, nail and horseshoe makers. The only shop not found here was the tanner's. Longtooth, Darian and Jankin would have easily found where the tanners and leatherworkers were; far outside the duchy-keep and more importantly, far downwind from Talantal. Tailors, clothiers, furriers and seamstress shops had their own quarter of a ring; both crafting clothes from spare to fine and also selling cloths and garb from far beyond Talantal. Passage into the second ring was similar to the first; if it looked like you belonged and would brook no contrary discussion, and perhaps more importantly it being so close to Midsummers, one was let pass by.

The third ring, that was an issue, pe se.

But not an unsolvable one.

The third ring of Talantal was the Merchant's Ring. And thus, of course, the proper application of coin to pay the toll would silence both questions and any possible disagreement.

Here was the first hint of the scale of Talantal's grandness. Halfway through the ring was the first true hostel; it was almost as large and fine as the entire church at Cragside.

"Wait .. wait ... who is that ... I don't recognize her."

"Recognize her ... what about her?"

"... oh by Her Kindness and Mercy ..."

"... Darcy! I need you to run to the Chapel!"

"... Marcy! I need you to run down to the first ring and snare the lass Kolleen. We are gonna need a couple caskets."

As the second group walked by they created quite a stir outside of the Atteran hospital. In the end, two initiates took off from the finely appointed and colonnaded entry. Similar height, similar size, similar young age, both dressed in identical creams and white. One ran as fast as she could ahead, towards the center of the city. The other, back along their previous path towards Talantal's lower ramparts,

"... oh by Her Kindness and her Mercy, Father and Brother are to die of apoplexy ..."

In someways, this attention benefited Daxia and Kay.

At the next gate, aye the guard seemed to have doubled, a set of Knights upon their Korie mantled destriers paced darkly, furtively. Though they did recognize the Dayalan regalia; they were ushered into the forth ring with a very condescending,

"You are late."

Which meant, of course, they were waiting when Kadri and her extended family made their way to the gate in the forth ring.

"I don't care who you claim to be ... what is that thing doing here ... doing here alive?"

Thus, swords were already out when the Lady of Attera and her Initiate came to a stop.

To which there was a simple answer from a bowed white haired head.

"Romanas ... Romanas dont feel safe in this city."

She looked up. There was a sharpness in her gaze as she parlayed up a quiet request, one she had done once before, to a Squire named Dean.

This time, she addressed a Knight of Rames.

"Please protect me."

"Protect you, demon-spawn? Why should I even deign to give you a quick death?"

"Last time Romanas looked, Romanas was girl."

The Knight upon his destrier made an odd choking sound. His expression was one of anger, frustration and fury. Which was answered by a sapphire eyed blink and a completely innocent tug upon new white tunics.

"Must Romanas prove?"

As they processed then through the fourth, the Noble's Ring, three things happened. Romana's tunic stayed all nice and proper. A Knight turned a deeper shade of red than his surcoat. And the fine Lady Kadri had gained an escort of proud Imperial Court knights.

The Noble's Ring was one of penultimate grandeur. The houses were tall, getting taller as they got closer to the town's center, as if the number of stories were related to one's social standing. There were gardens here too, expansive and well maintained, but where they were for vegetables and providing trading space in the first ring here they were for simple decoration and enjoyment; a celebration of caste as opposed to the pragmatics of natural growth. The buildings here were made of stone; the oldest built of honey colored marbles ... the newer in sturdy gray stones. It was also clean; the streets swept, the sewers clear, windows and metals polished. It was the smallest of the town's quarters, forming a grand promenade to the Fifth Ring.

The Fifth Ring, in truth, while it did hold interior courts and greenspace, it was not a truly a ring.

It was the citadel of the Noble Family Korie.

"Starrider, eh? You are late. You'll get your escort to the great hall, and we'll find a stall for your ... whatever and your squire-lass."

"I go with her."

It had been a long walk up from the first gate. And while Daxia had ridden the way, her initiate had walked. But it was not with exhaustion that she spoke, but another sort of grimness. And she spoke not to the guard before them, but to the older one in finery standing behind; obviously a captain. it was a strange tone to hear from the short Initiate, but it was similar to a steel Daxia had heard before, in Cragside, from another of the Initiate's family.

Kay stood there, in the same garb that Daxia had first saw her in. Her battered armor, a round shield, leaning upon a tall spear from which hung tattered ribbons in white and black and red, the colors of the Allaine Family Guard. A surcoat in black and silver that was almost in tatters, with stains of dull brown that she could never wash out. And they eyes that locked with the Rames commander were even and solid. They were not a look of a young farmgirl. In his life, perhaps, the Captain of the Guard had fought - but just brigands, malcontents, criminals. Tales of more brutal conflicts were just that; tales the minstrels sung, to be boasted about and bandied with on a late evening, before a fire, with a mug of wine in one hand. For the eyes that locked with his they were not tales. They had seen the truth of it. At the Darkdown Pass. At the Fall of Tor-an-dal. Along the Road East, when Cragside fell and the massacre that was Bordertown. Eyes that had seen betrayal upon the Silk Creek Bridge.

The Knight was unable to hold Ekaterina Koromov's gaze and they were let inside.

She had, as Daxia had requested, worn her very best.

Last edited by Wolf; Mon 27/01/14 14:45 UTC.
Wolf #699117 Sun 26/01/14 19:49 UTC
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Talantal, the Grand Duchy of Talantal
Late Afternoon, Attaday, the twenty-seventh day of Dragon

Bekkah, Daxia, Mikal, Dean, Cesare, Kadri ... Morning Star, Kay and Romana

The hall that Daxia and Kay were escorted to was large, almost cathedral sized except for where the pulpit would be there was a large fireplace. Before it was set a high table, long and fine and for the moment now clear of anything except a handful of bakery baskets and carafes of drink; probably wine. Two wings swept back from the center proper, extending towards the entrance. There was an arcade on each side, each supporting a gallery, behind which rose windows of stained glass. The four closest to the head of the hall were of the Imperial deities, the others older, showing images of Talantal's long history. At the moment all discussion was focused upon the very center of the High Table, where there was a very unique gathering. Behind the table there were the Banners of the Nobles who had arrived. The Star and Laurel of Talantal, the Grays of Montague, Brockman's Longsword, the Seahorse from Talesan's Village, the Mountain colors of Highgaard and the Red, Black and White of Dawnview Vale. Only the various banners of the Clans of Amber were missing. Standing next to the hearth was a little lass in white and cream; she looked nervous and out of place. She wore the cross of Attera and Daxia did recognize her; she had run past them, bound for the keep, somewhere in the Noble's ring.

In the tallest chair was a dark haired man, though his hair is streaked with gray turning white. tall and still strong looking, he sits with crossed arms, a frown upon his features. To his right is a younger version of himself, standing, fist pounding upon the hard wooden table.

"We cannot let this be ..."

Next to him, seated, is a harshly pretty woman, she seems far younger than the man she sits next to, arms crossed, eyes narrowed, simply listening to the debate.

"They must be put back in their place."

This was spoken by a man with nighy black hair, spoken sure and harsh. He wore a surcoat of mottled grays, except, different, there was a splash of red across the monotone, a harsh and bloody skewed stripe. His face looked as if carved from stone, broken by scars that were echoed on his arms. Next to him, in the second tallest chair, was an older man, also of the same rough hewn stock. if there was any distinguishing mark it was that his contenance was too perfect; nary a scar or even a broken nose; as if he made sure to chose only winning fights. He was simply sitting back, hands folded in his lap, almost amused, as if how the nobles beside him solved their current dilemma was of great amusement. On one of the side tables a fair haired man in soft blues listened quietly, holding a roll and breaking off bits and pieces of it to nibble on. he seemed more curious in the situation than invested in it. Across from him were two other lords; obviously Father and younger son. They had light coloured eyes and light coloured hair, and were garbed in clothing that was imminently practical.

The last occupant of this noble holding could not be readily seen, save for a pair of hands holding open a tall book, as if completely disinterested ... or shy overwhelmed ... by the discussion.

Of course there were also the retinues; men at arms in gray, marshalls, knights and seneschals in Korie purple; a lady in sea colored blues offering the Atteran Initiate a drink from a carafe, sturdy Kierkegaard guards ... and last, behind the shy scholar, a slender swordswoman with long cornsilk hair. She listened, arms crossed, the conversation making her expression stern. She did not wear the colors of any house; but she wore the black and silver of Dayala. Black and silver decorated by a bold gray starburst.

This was the scene that Daxia escorted Kay into.

Though they were only halfway down the hall when the doors were then again thrown open, to introduce a new group to this courtly discussion. They were led and followed by a set of rames Knights; the same Knights who had met them at the Noble's gate and gave them passage into Talantal's final ring.

Kadri. Dean. Mikal. Cesare. And the focus of the conversation, Bekkah and her Initiate.

"My Liege may I ..."

The leader of the Rames escort tried to speak but was immediately interrupted.

"Captain Donnerson, I want you to arrest those two ... send the old one back to the cathedral for retraining or whatever you do to idiot priestesses and the other hung from the tallest tower until she dies ..."

These were the immediate words of the older Noble, the one with black and graying hair, curt and decisive, harsh and true.

"No."

Those quiet spoken words simply floated up from behind the big, tall book.

"What do you mean No? How dare you say no, in my Keep, in my Town, with my Imperial servants?"

"Because if that is Bekkah Yurisdotter she was born on the north shore of Emerald Lake which makes her my Lady of Attera."

The lead Knight then interrupted,

"My liege?"

The Khorall fumed, dismissing the Knight with a wave of his hand.

"And just why should I care if this pair is yours? They are in my keep."

"Alieanus Castielson."

"Who the blazes is Alieanus Castielson?"

To that one of the retainers simply whispered in the Korie's ear. The Khorall gave the book a sudden, dark and very dissatisfied look.

"My Liege?"

Again the knight tried to speak. This time the checkmated Khorall decided to answer the Knight, using it to sharply change the current matter at hand.

"What? What could be so important. Come on, spit it out. Your Khorall commands."

"May I ..."

"YES!"

"May I introduce to you ..."

"Get on with i!"

" ... lady ... Dama ... Dama ...."

Obviously the Knight was having trouble finding the words.

"Dama Kadri djinn Khayriyah djinn Terilanquel al'Korie."

One could hear a goblet drop in the grand hall, the silence hit so hard.

In fact, one did.

"It appears Lord Dominic got married."

The silence echoed like thunder.

That caused the reclusive one to look up from behind her tall, leather bound book. Red hair, long and flowing, as if it had never been cut; young, somewhere between Romana and Daxia in winters, dressed in a pure white tunic with a surcoat black as night. It was so close to the Dayalan starrider's excepting the two vertical stripes were white, not silver.

And for the first time ever ...

... Daxia saw a look of absolute surprise on the face of Dama Kisa Linette Allaine.

Last edited by Wolf; Mon 27/01/14 14:40 UTC.
Wolf #699120 Mon 27/01/14 00:40 UTC
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
<< fixed a couple typos ... meeeps!>>

Wolf #699123 Mon 27/01/14 01:40 UTC
Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Daxia

Daxia had nodded her approval of Kay wearing Lily Allaine’s ribbon. It was quite proper, especially when she herself had Kisa Allaine’s ribbon tied around the pommel of her sword.

At the fourth gate, to the Korie guard, Daxia had merely shrugged and said nothing. There was really no point in saying anything to a statement which merely served to point out the obvious... at least not here.

At Dominic’s tiny village, however, she had replied, “Indeed... so I’ve been told.” Before she could correct their reception committee regarding Kay’s status however, her Initiate spoke up for herself. It was simple, it was elegant, and it was exactly what Daxia would have said. And then she watched as the youngest Dayalan stared down the Captain of the Korie Guard. The Starrider refrained from smiling as they followed their escort... but she thought, perhaps, the emotion she felt might have been something akin to what Kassia had felt once or twice. She did not rap the youngster on the head, nor did she tousle her hair — that would have sent her crooked ribbon even more askew, though without that ribbon Kay might have found her head being rubbed.

Instead, the elder Dayalan whispered only three words to the younger.

“Well done, Kay.”

Before entering the grand hall, she reminded Kay softly, “Don’t speak, only watch. There will be time later to answer questions.”

Daxia walked across the hall toward the Allaine hiding behind the enormous book and the Captain of the Wild Horde. The conversation was unsurprising, given all the things Dominic had said... given who Romana was. Even the name Kisa mentioned sparked a memory; in fact, the very words she’d spoken on that summer day came to mind.

I see deceit. Looking further, looking past today and this season and this year, I see... trouble.

What had been a lesson four years ago had become something so obvious once she had left the Vale that it was almost laughable. She’d been so naive!

Kadri and her entourage entered behind the two Dayalans. In the absolute and utter silence, Daxia stopped. For the most part, it was to be silent... to keep her spurs and boot heels from joining the sound of the dropped goblet. However, it gave her a chance to observe those gathered... not just her dearest friend’s look of surprise — it was stunningly beautiful, and had Kassia not been her teacher, Daxia might have simply looked at Kisa and reflected surprise back. But her eyes moved around the entire room as her expression remained impassive... to Dandy first, and then to observe individually and as a whole the Nobles and their retainers. It took only the space of time to inhale slowly, and exhale again... not quite a fullhand of heartbeats. But it was enough time to relinquish to the silence. And then Daxia continued toward the Heir, to take her place behind her.

But not before pulling a piece or two of folded paper from her pouch and offering them to Kisa.

“Pardon our tardiness, Dama,” she said with a slight bow as she placed the papers in Kisa’s hand. “I am to give you this message.” It was an odd turn of phrase, to be sure... but then, the Dawnview dialect was odd, was it not? Then, as a proper member of the Allaine House Guard, she stepped back... nodding to Kay to indicate her place, and then nodding to Dandy.

“Captain.”

And finally Daxia took up her familiar role as observer. She was not here to watch Kisa, though... not in this Court. And she was not necessarily here to watch anyone else in particular gather at the Korie Court.

She was here to See the Paths... to See the Pattern in the tiles before they tumbled. This would be no heraldic rose.

Dayatina al sedenstevie.

Kel #699136 Mon 27/01/14 12:27 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

He follows keeping to his place and with his head down in what he hopes is a dutiful manner. Keeping a low profile and to the rear of a gathering is second nature to him and so that at least falls naturally. However Cesare feels he has entered a nest of vipers, which he probably has, and therefore, like prey, does not want to draw attention to himself.

He knows from experience that in his sort of garb he will gernerally be ignored as not being worth attention.. assuming he can avoid drawing attention.. and he fully intends to do just that.

Therefore he doesn't scrutinise those gathered, even the meeting of eyes could be considered rude. He just stands still, fades into the background and is content to stay there.

Gypsy #699139 Mon 27/01/14 12:55 UTC
Bekkah

*OLD ONE* the words echoed in her mind, her cheeks colored and fury rose. Only years of training let her maintain her calm. She was ready to put a hand on Romana if she lost her own temper or step between her and anyone foolish enough to actually try and take Romana.

When Kisa stood up for her, she bowed her head slightly in thanks and forced herself to calm.

*Old indeed* she thought wanting to box that one's ears.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Wolf 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Talon475, Randal Trimmer, Kimf, Yvon, TennesseeBaron
177 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Member Spotlight
Forum Statistics
Forums103
Topics2,845
Posts140,804
Members177
Most Online296
Jan 19th, 2020
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
†Restricted forums can only be accessed by DreamLyrics members of the age of 18 years or older. Access which is granted by the Behind Closed Doors Procedure.
™DreamLyrics Play-by-Post. DreamLyrics Play-by-Post does not own copyright on DreamLyrics texts or graphics, except trademarked DreamLyrics logos and logotypes. The works contained in DreamLyrics are copyrighted (automatically, under the Berne Convention) by the original authors and may be available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence. (See Copyrights for details.)
Privacy Policy