Eye of the Dragon
DreamLyrics Play-by-Post
Who's Online Now
1 members (AquaDyne), 56 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Dice Roller
You will need to enable Javascript in order to view the Dice Roller.
Games Recruiting List

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 52 of 57 1 2 50 51 52 53 54 56 57
Kel #648814 Fri 16/11/12 13:31 UTC
Bekkah

She listened to her sister, laying her head on her shoulder as she hugged her.

"Ya, Bekkah feel like precious doll you put away and not touch. Everyone say ooooh, then keep walking. Nobody play with doll, because just for looking at."

"I want to be Atteran. I want to be great Atteran. Heal many, heal everybody if I can. But want to be Bekkah too. Want someone to hold me when I'm hurt or tired. Want someone to know Bekkah like Dazi know Bekkah. Don't want to be doll."

"Ya, can marry. Can have children. Want all of that."

"And see how you look at Squire. No kicking shins. Bekkah get mad if you do. Squire good boy, but still a boy. Bekkah being silly."

She turned and wrapped her arms around Dazi.

"Do you ever wish we could go back to Vale. Be Dazi and Bekkah every day?"

Nivek #648820 Fri 16/11/12 15:58 UTC
Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Daxia

"Dazi not kick Squire!" she said with mock indignation. She then grinned broadly. "Dazi thump Squire!"

Then she giggled and shook her head. "Dazi just see Bekkah sad, see Squire be silly. Dazi not thump Squire."

The redheaded sister rested her head on her blonde sister's head.

"Sometime, Bekkah. Hard being grown up, hard doing job supposed to do. Sometime. But..."

She was quiet; they were just two sisters together, arms wrapped around one another. In this moment, just THIS moment, it was just Bekkah and Dazi.

"We still be Dazi and Bekkah, like this, when can. Not all time, not everyday. But sometime, yah?

"We people not get to pick easy way. We people do important things. Kassia train Dazi..." Her voice cracked with emotion; she swallowed hard and took a deep breath. "Kassia train Dazi. Is why Dazi have partner Morning Star already when not so old. Because Kassia train Dazi.

"Lady Catherine train Bekkah. Bekkah already Priestess! Bekkah do good work; Lord Random already know of Bekkah! Bekkah help many, many, many people!"

She sighed.

"Yah, Dazi have heart-friend, but when Dazi see Kisa next? Don't know. Maybe long time. Bekkah not have heart-friend, want one, but..." The Dayalan shrugged lightly. "Dazi not know which hurt more... have friend, never see? Not have friend? Both make heart hurt, yah?

"But Dazi have Bekkah. And Bekkah have Dazi."

"Everything is bad except unicorns." -- Phoebe
Kel #648825 Fri 16/11/12 16:41 UTC
Bekkah

She hugged Dazi fiercely.

"Bekkah always have Dazi and big sister always be here for Dazi too. Maybe Bekkah just home sick. Not acting like grown up Bekkah."

"I love you so much little one."

"Bekkah be okay, promise. But no thumping squire. Dazi promise. And no telling Kadri or Romanas to thump quire either. Someday he will find someone not Lady of Attera to be his lady forever. She not like lumps on her husband." she said with a smile the first Dazi had seen in days.

Nivek #648846 Fri 16/11/12 18:35 UTC
Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Daxia

She returned the hug just as fiercely.

"Dazi promise. No thump Squire. No tell anyone thump Squire." Daxia chuckled. "Think someday Squire wife want do own thumping!"

She sat comfortably beside her sister, shoulder to shoulder again.

"Love you too, Bekkah. No more homesick, okay? Maybe Bekkah not be home in... in... in forever, maybe Bekkah, Dazi not go home for long time still, but carry home with us in heart, yah? Close eyes, see mountains, fields, people. Remember good times... Midsummer, Midwinter. Riding through Vale... pretty spring, summer, fall. Winter sleigh rides!

"Just remember beautiful Dawnview, then Dawnview in heart even all way to Talesan's Village!"

Kel #648848 Fri 16/11/12 18:43 UTC
Bekkah

She did just that, closing her eyes seeing her village, the village she hadn't seen since Dazi was a little girl and she'd been a wide eyed initiate.

Finally she opened them and looked at Dazi, then kissed her on the cheek.

"Always in my heart like you." she said.

Nivek #648853 Fri 16/11/12 21:26 UTC
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Mikal

"It is somehow linked to Daxia", he shrugs. "It appeared during the battle." (OOC - Wasn't Cesare around then?)

"Anyway, lets go."

He leads the way towards the market area. As they walk he talks a bit about crossbows and quarrels.

"What we're looking for is a crossbow with a prod of steel, or second best of yew, horn, and sinew bound together. Worst would be solid wood. The prod is fairly short, which means the tension strength is high." He looks at Cesare and grins. "That means it's hard to draw the string back."

As they enter the market he wanders from place to place, window shopping.

"You don't want a heavy bow with a windlass. It takes too long to reload. You want a light bow. What you will sacrifice in distance and punch you will make up for in reload speed and encumbrance. At the middle distances the punch will still penetrate plate armour."

"I prefer a bow that 'breaks' in the middle." He describes it with his hands. "The string sits on a small hook. You release a latch on the side and the bow splits in half, held together by a hinge on the bottom. The hook draws the bowstring back when the bow splits and when you bring the two halves back together the string is already drawn for you. You lay a quarrel in the groove, aim, and fire."

"Another option is to use a hook. You place the stock of the crossbow on the ground, prod down. You bend you knees and lay the hook on the string and pull it back by straightening your legs. Bring it up, lay the bolt, aim, and fire." He shrugs. "That method is a bit slower and has the disadvantage of not being able to be used mounted."

He points into the window of a shop where bolts are arranged in baskets. "There are also several types of bolts, or quarrels. The armour piercing ones have small heads. Not much more than a metal covering over the shaft that concentrates the force of the shot into a small area and lets it punch through armour."

"There are also hunting quarrels, which can be used on unarmoured or lightly armoured foes. Those have broad heads, with two or four razor sharp blades running in parallel from the tip back an inch or so. Without the need to get past plate mail, they make large wounds in your foes, or your quarry. They cause tremendous bleeding and can bring down even large game quickly."

"Then you can get into specialty quarrels. Bolts can be fitted with a variety of heads, some with sickle-shaped blades to cut rope or rigging. I have even seen some crossbows adapted to shoot lead bullets or stones. These usually have a double string with a pouch between the strings to hold the stone. Mostly they're used to hunt small game that would get too torn up by a normal bolt."

"One difference you'll see is that unlike Darian's arrows, crossbow bolts do not have feathers, or fletching. Solid steel arrows have the best chance for reuse without breaking, but they are heavier and have a little less range, and are more costly."

He looks at Cesare. "Anything strike your fancy?"

Zeim #649019 Sat 17/11/12 18:45 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

"I had not realised there was so much to know, so much choice.." he says honestly. "From your good advice I would say light, because speed is important, especially if I still get good range against armoured oponents. And I think armour piercing bolts at least initially. I have my daggers for closer quarters or unarmoured opponents and Darian does the hunting around here."

He grins, content not to invade her territory.

"So if we can find something along those lines, something of quaility enough to last a while and deliver true aim, and something I can afford, then I am content."

He peers more closely at some of the irms on display.

"What would I expect to pay for one anyway?"

Gypsy #649028 Sat 17/11/12 21:23 UTC
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
(OOC - Wolf - You're up. Presume we have found a shop with good quality light crossbows. I don't know local pricing.)

Zeim #649513 Thu 22/11/12 20:46 UTC
Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Daxia

The Yurisdotter sisters sat quietly for some time, laying aside for even that short span of time, the mantles of Atteran Healer and Dayalan Knight... simply being two country lasses a long way from home. But they were two country lasses, sisters, TOGETHER a long way from home, and that was a comfort. And if one had asked the redhead, one might learn she considered it a blessing of their respective Goddesses, as well.

But soon enough, the Healer left to attend to other things that Healers are wont to do... and the Knight completed the grooming of her partner, as is right and proper for the Knights of Dayala. Such was not a task to be given to a squire, even if such a role existed.

"Hmmmm... your magnificently flowing mane does tend to twist itself into knots as it flows magnificently, doesn't it?" she murmured at one point. "Well, I suppose it has been a while since the last brushing, da. I may need to add 'silky' somewhere into the litany of your wondrous traits to describe its magnificent flowing quality."

After Daxia finish grooming Morning Star, she returned the curry combs to her saddlebag in Fern's stall, noting that the stable hands had already pampered her with a good grooming. With a smile, she pulled out the carrot halves from her pouch and gave them to Fern. "Carrots will have to do, as it seems His Magnificence has gotten all the town's apples." She rubbed her cheek against Fern's soft nose. "You'll take good care of Bekkah, won't you, my Naughty Fern? Yah, I know you will.

"Dazi not expect unicorn find Dazi for long time," she whispered to the horse. It was her odd habit to talk to Fern as if the horse understood; and since there had never been any absolute evidence for either side of the argument on whether or not Fern did understand her, Daxia had no inclination to break the habit. "Dazi expect spend many year with Fern. Dazi little bit sad, but Fern and Bekkah good match. Bekkah remember riding quickly; Fern keep Bekkah out of trouble. Bekkah like trouble same as Dazi, yah? Bekkah just not good fighter, okay?"

A little while later, she stood in the entryway of the stables for a moment, looking out over the courtyard. She had nowhere she needed to go -- and as she told Mikal, the last place she ought to go right now was the Jvrillian Guildhouse -- and nothing she needed to do. Except...

She gestured to the nearest stable hand and asked a single, simple question. The answer was just as simple, and she thanked the lad, adding a nod and a smile.

Following the directions, she walked slowly past the town well -- saying a silent prayer as she did so -- then up Sword Street... people watching, mostly, though as unobtrusively as possible, of course. So many years in court; watching people was second nature to her. In Caravan Square, she approached the building across the small street from the Merchant and Teamster's Alliance Hall.

Last edited by Kel; Fri 23/11/12 00:57 UTC. Reason: GM request

Kel #649534 Fri 23/11/12 13:50 UTC
Bekkah

Like her younger sister, sitting here together was one of life's simple pleasures even if it was over too quickly.

Her life wasn't exactly what she'd imagined, but at least there were some things in this world that would remain constant and her bond to Dazi was at the top of the list.

She thought about the young squire and she smiled to herself laughing at her own silliness. He was young and he needed to find a suitably young maiden to begin his own life. Hopefully his steadfast need to protect Bekkah would end soon and he could move to becoming a full knight.

She made her way back to the inn, to properly finish the meal the good squire had worked so hard to make sure she had.

ividia #649537 Fri 23/11/12 14:16 UTC
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Bordertown
Afternoon
Attaday, The Twenty-Third Day of the Month of Crown of Ice, 2623

Darian and Landis

The walk down the street was not eventful, not at all. First because the distance was short; from markets and gates the distance to that end townhouse was almost just down a handful of buildings, perhaps an alley or two, a few sets of long handful of paces apart.

There was no need to knock, for the Hunter was once again upon his stoop; lounging there with a dagger - thick and wide and sturdy, and a little crystal bottle of oil and a whetstone. His two beasts ... the lanky, feral and unpleasantly tempered wolves keeping watch as ... with a slow and determined and repetitive whish ... whish ... whish ... he sharpens his blade. One wolf is at the top of the stoop, becoming a cushion to be leaned back upon. The other is at his feet, gnawing on a bit bone ... that may or may not be critter-ish.

"Figured you'd be wandering this away ...

"What do you want, girl?"

Zeim #649538 Fri 23/11/12 14:46 UTC
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Bordertown
Afternoon

Mikal, Cesare and Fengel

"And this is your day of days! you could not be more fortuitous. Crossbows ... I have many many crossbows to choose from!"

Indeed the merchant does. The outfitter is carefully sifting through a rugged stack of the weapons, all stacked upon the counter; as well as a small collection of armor and blades; though those are piled roughly behind. there seems to be three stacks; the largest stack are those with shattered stocks, snapped strings, bent bows .... the second is far less damaged; perhaps missing a drawstring, the slide out of rack ... and the smallest pile - while definitely used, in a decent condition.

Within each stack is a fair representation of the various types of bows; though most are of the light variety.

"Oh ... you have a discerning eye! Now I have no choice, laddies ... they are going to be a touch more expensive; with the lack of steel and all this side of the Greenlands. stupid, it is ... and what does one expect. This is the sort of idioticy that happens when you let a woman manage a keep. Someone oughta go up there and teach those wenches a lesson; not a merchant in town that isn't cursing them and not looking forward to the costs of things come spring.

"It ripples, you know ... steel gets expensive and then everything else does ..."

Fengel looks across to his two customers.

"Is there one here that suits your needs?"

ooc note: after haggling, a decent light crossbow can be had for about 150 crowns; that's under cost for being used and being part of last night's combat

Wolf #649541 Fri 23/11/12 15:19 UTC
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Bordertown
Afternoon

Daxia (and anyone who wants to accompany her) and Garrick and ....

From the Dragonstooth to the town Sheriff's House is also not a long walk; just down the street and across from the market. The well and its slowly growing gaggle of goodwives and daughter take note of Daxia's passage with whispers and pointing, the slowly resettling of the merchants too, though those are a bit more direct and self serving.

"Meat onna stick! come come, all hot and spicy and fresh and guaranteed not to be ruff or slink! meat onna stick!"

"Midwinter's comming lassie ... midwinters but a few days away! Even you would like some sparklies, cut glass and silver - perhaps a pendant of blue to match your eyes? Or some some fine cloth, blood and stains will just not do in two days, ja ja ja?"

"Ribbons! All sorts ... ribbons for fire hair, prettiest ribbons between sea and stone!"

"YIKES watch where you are going! HEY that's MY hot roll!"

The last was not yelled at Daxia, but instead betrays a fast moving drama, at the center of the market. At first she can't see the source of the problem - only a rippling through the vendors stalls like a wave. The look of surprise, the push, the start in surprise.

"GET BACK HERE!"

And of course the pursuit.

Finally the quarry bolts. Short, black cloaked, looking over his shoulder with a bright, " ... can't catch me ..." a familiar looking rake darts across the open street. He looks this way and that, mischievously, and would say more except for easier running Dominie pops a rather delicious looking pastry into his mouth.

Perfectly planned, he bounces, and choosing a door at random, makes good an escape by vanishing within, shouldering it open and slamming it behind him, to loose himself within.

Behind, fast, ran the sheriff.

Who then stopped, smiled, folded his hands behind his back and quietly walked up to the door that the rake had chosen for his refuge.

In Caravan Square, it was the building across the small street from the Merchant and Teamster's Alliance Hall.

"EEEYAAAGH!"

From within the house came a sudden cry.

"WRONG HOUSE!"

Last edited by Wolf; Fri 23/11/12 15:20 UTC.
Wolf #649556 Fri 23/11/12 17:01 UTC
She of Chaos
She of Chaos
Darian

Darian came to a stop just a bit away from the senior Hunter, a respectful distance between those of their kind. She had noticed the townsfolk gave even more distance. She felt that was a good thing. She met Landris' eyes and spoke plainly.

"If willing, want know how came to be Pack of three, how came be Pack with walls."

Nivek #649559 Fri 23/11/12 17:27 UTC
Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Originally Posted by Nivek
Bekkah

Like her younger sister, sitting here together was one of life's simple pleasures even if it was over too quickly.

Her life wasn't exactly what she'd imagined, but at least there were some things in this world that would remain constant and her bond to Dazi was at the top of the list.

She thought about the young squire and she smiled to herself laughing at her own silliness. He was young and he needed to find a suitably young maiden to begin his own life. Hopefully his steadfast need to protect Bekkah would end soon and he could move to becoming a full knight.

She made her way back to the inn, to properly finish the meal the good squire had worked so hard to make sure she had.

Kadri was sitting at a table, leaning her chin on a hand and looking thoughtfull, twisting a string of beads in her hands. Every now and then, she frowned slightly - the drink she had acquired sitting on the table next to her undrunk.

Seeing Bekkah enter, she looks up and waves her over.

Bekkah

She sees Kadri and smiles, moving over to her.

When a serving girl comes by, she orders some mild wine to go with her meal.

"Good day Kadri. How does the day find you?" she asked pleasantly.

Nivek #649564 Fri 23/11/12 18:12 UTC
Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Daxia

She merely smiled at the market vendors from beneath the hood of her fine warm Kierkegaard cloak. Her mission this beautiful, bright early afternoon was not to make purchases; that she had done earlier in the day.

The commotion, though... ah, the commotion; now that was interesting. All the more interesting was the fact that little DomDominie was causing the commotion.

And most interesting of all was the destination the not quite as clever as he thought he was Dominie chose to sequester himself as the Sheriff gave chase.

She chuckled as she came to the Sheriff's side in front of the very door that was her destination as well. Pushing back her hood, she said to Garrick, "Little Dominie is charming in his own way..."

Like the Sheriff, she clasped her hands lightly behind her back, beneath the cloak.

"...but he's not all that bright, is he? A pity, really."

Wolf #649566 Fri 23/11/12 18:22 UTC
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Mikal

He examines the piles closely, quickly skipping over the larger two and focusing on the used, but functional bows. After haggling with Fengel for a few minutes he turns back to Cesare.

"One of these two", he nods towards two of the light bows, "should do. He wants 150 crowns", he shrugs, "seems a good price to me."

Last edited by Zeim; Fri 23/11/12 22:52 UTC.
Nivek #649567 Fri 23/11/12 18:43 UTC
Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Originally Posted by Nivek
Bekkah

She sees Kadri and smiles, moving over to her.

When a serving girl comes by, she orders some mild wine to go with her meal.

"Good day Kadri. How does the day find you?" she asked pleasantly.

She pauses a while, not sure entirely how or how fully to answer, then decides to anyhow.

"Well, to be honest ... been better. Have family looking for me. Family is not always a good thing. "

She says ruefully.

"On the other hand, sun, blue sky, friends, good beer, which I have yet to touch ..."

Bekkah

"I suppose with so little family, I can't quite relate. But I assume you don't want your family to find you? Are they bad people?"

Nivek #649576 Fri 23/11/12 20:27 UTC
Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Kadri

"Bad?"

She said distantly' then continues in a quiet voice, seeming much quieter than perhaps Bekkah is used to seeing her, without the perpetual half-grin

"No. I don't know that 'bad" would apply. They are ... they are my people. Were I the daughter of a herdsman I would likely not have the problems I have but ... Part of being the daughter of someone with ... Importance ... Is that you don't get choices. You get used for alliances, for your bloodline, to soothe ruffled feathers - you are, to be blunt, a trading token. That is life. It is not, however, a life I wish."

She pauses.

"I do not wish to be a line on a breeding chart, yet that was to be precisely my fate. I do not accept fate. Fate is not, and never will be my master. I refuse to play by their rules and they are not fond of that decision. So, my family may not be bad; but they are bad for me."

Last edited by Art in the Blood; Fri 23/11/12 22:49 UTC.
ividia #649581 Fri 23/11/12 22:15 UTC
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Bordertown
Afternoon

Darian and Landis

Wolftamer chuffs out a harsh, cold breath.

"Why should I share my Hunt with others? In the end, there is only one Master of the Hunt. And that is me."

He then looked across the walls, the crenellated stone picket around the town.

"Forests are not just made of trees.

"And bears are by far not the most dangerous prey beneath sky and moon."

Last edited by Wolf; Fri 23/11/12 22:34 UTC.
Wolf #649582 Fri 23/11/12 22:24 UTC
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Bordertown
Afternoon

Daxia and Garrick and behind Door Number 1

The Sheriff simply held up a hand.

"Wait for it."

After a moment, then one, then two, there coame something much fainter from behind the door.

" ... and You. Ja, You ....

" .... STOP LAUGHING!"

Only then, with a nod, did the Sheriff saunter up to his house, in long easy strides. he reached for the latch and pushed.

And then stopped.

And then pushed again.

He rattled the catch, leaned his shoulder against the sturdy wood, shook the door and still it didn't budge. Finally, making his hand into a fist, he pounded at the wood, with three very very loud knocks.

Now they were answered.

By a high pitched voice, a mischeivious falsetto, as if someone were imitating a town goodwife. And doing so very badly.

"Whoooooooooooooooooo's there?"

Last edited by Wolf; Fri 23/11/12 22:25 UTC.
Wolf #649583 Fri 23/11/12 22:32 UTC
She of Chaos
She of Chaos
Darian

She is non-plused by his brusqueness. Hakar had been much the same.

"Aye. It be not bears that made Darian and Longtooth be last of Pack. And forests be all Darian know until sent away."

"Meet more not-Pack last handfulls of handfulls than whole life before."

"There be no Pack Elders. Ask Bordertown Hunter share stories, share wisdom. More knowledge for Darian and Longtooth as search out new territory."

ividia #649584 Fri 23/11/12 22:59 UTC
Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Daxia

With a bit of a smile, eyebrows raised questionly, and a nod towards the door, the Dayalan steps closer to the door.

"Oh! Goodwife... I'm so sorry! I had not realized the Sheriff was married!" she said in a voice filled with surprise.

"I am looking for your husband, and it is purely a matter regarding the Town Guard, I assure you, good woman. Do you know where he might be found? And if he should return home before I locate him, do you think you might tell him the Dayalan is looking for him, please?"

Page 52 of 57 1 2 50 51 52 53 54 56 57

Moderated by  Wolf 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Talon475, Randal Trimmer, Kimf, Yvon, TennesseeBaron
177 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Member Spotlight
Gryphon
Gryphon
California
Forum Statistics
Forums103
Topics2,869
Posts141,648
Members177
Most Online296
Jan 19th, 2020
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
†Restricted forums can only be accessed by DreamLyrics members of the age of 18 years or older. Access which is granted by the Behind Closed Doors Procedure.
™DreamLyrics Play-by-Post. DreamLyrics Play-by-Post does not own copyright on DreamLyrics texts or graphics, except trademarked DreamLyrics logos and logotypes. The works contained in DreamLyrics are copyrighted (automatically, under the Berne Convention) by the original authors and may be available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence. (See Copyrights for details.)
Privacy Policy