Eye of the Dragon
DreamLyrics Play-by-Post
Who's Online Now
5 members (Gypsy, AquaDyne, Art in the Blood, Miales, Vryx), 32 guests, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Dice Roller
You will need to enable Javascript in order to view the Dice Roller.
Games Recruiting List

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 36 of 57 1 2 34 35 36 37 38 56 57
Kel #619179 Sun 08/07/12 23:16 UTC
She of Chaos
She of Chaos
Darian

"Kadri, Cesare, if want come. If no, just Longtooth."

"Dazi need arrows?"

ividia #619180 Sun 08/07/12 23:22 UTC
Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Daxia
with the Gang at the Inn

"No, Dazi use sword. You take. Dazi get more arrows later."

"Everything is bad except unicorns." -- Phoebe
Kel #619188 Mon 09/07/12 00:16 UTC
She of Chaos
She of Chaos
Darian

"Darian thanks. Need many arrows. Much hunting."

ividia #619196 Mon 09/07/12 00:26 UTC
Arssanguinus
Online Shocked
Arssanguinus
"I need knives, and my head. Going on horse or foot?"

Last edited by Art in the Blood; Mon 09/07/12 00:38 UTC.
She of Chaos
She of Chaos
Darian

"Foot. Go places horse not go."

ividia #619263 Mon 09/07/12 11:13 UTC
M
M
Dean

"I go where the Lady Bekkah goes"

Mokie #619290 Mon 09/07/12 13:42 UTC
Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Daxia
with the Gang at the Inn

Daxia smiled at the Squire and nodded. "I would expect nothing less." Nodding at the shield he had obtained, she continued, "When this is all over, you must introduce me to the armorer who provided the shield. I would like to thank him for at least making an effort to adorn it with Dayala's colors. Many would not even do that."

Looking back down at her hauberk, both eyebrows raised in surprise. "Conversing while cleaning armor certainly makes the task seem shorter. I should have time to clean the grime off myself after all.

"The guard at the gate said we must be out of town by mid-day if we are planning to leave," she said, wiping clean the last two handful of rings. "I would like to leave well before then to give Bekkah an opportunity to talk with Lady Kay, and to confer a last time with my Priestess." The Dayalan seemed to pay particularly close attention to the leather beneath the rings as she spoke the last phrase.

"The riders are full of Chaos; they will behave..." She looked up again at her group, particularly the fighter and the hunters. "It will not be unpredictable, for that implies a deliberate forethought to behave unexpectedly. From what I heard from all who have spoken on the matter, it would seem each rider would have an individual goal... although each of them would have the same goal of causing as much carnage as possible."

She paused, considering. "If they fight together," she said slowly, "it is by chance, not by design. In theory, that should give the Jvrillians -- and us, as well -- an advantage even if they possess the advantage of greater numbers." She sighed. "A slight advantage... and in theory."

As she finished cleaning the last bit of leather on her hauberk and picked up one of the greaves, Daxia said, "As I said to Dean earlier, a plan is generally the first casualty in any fight... so beyond 'kill Avatar, break curse, kill as many of the followers of He of the Red Scarf as possible', there are not likely too many details we should plan. However, if there are details any of you believe are important, please speak up."

Daxia looked at the young Imperial who had been so quiet since Cragside and the dark-haired, hooded young woman. "Your opinions are important, too," she said to them. Then she sighed.

"I do wish I understood how this Window and, ah, not-Window thing is supposed to work, Camelia. It might be useful at this point." She smiled at the youngest member of their party and shrugged. "Or not."

Kel #619293 Mon 09/07/12 13:59 UTC
Arssanguinus
Online Shocked
Arssanguinus
Kadri:

"I have heard it said. That the most dangerous of all things to an expert is a novice, because they will do things you have not even thought of, and have not prepared for - because those things do not make sense to even try. Myself - I plan to be myself, and hopefully at least the expectations game can be evened."
"

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Mikal

He listens to the planning and at a pause he clears his throat and says to Daxia, "I apologize for stepping into things of which I have no understanding, but it occurs to me that you summoned some pretty powerful help in the woods the other day. And from what I've overheard you talking about with our captives, they can do the same. Or at least your Dayallan sister can. It also seems to me that perhaps she can summon such help to a place nearby, but not necessarily in front of her? Is that so? If true, perhaps, those of us who are not skilled at combat could set up a signal chain between where we stand on the hill and those chained up below and let them know when our adversary arrives? Could they not summon aid for us up above on the hill were they told when it was needed? If yes, there are devices that can be used to signal across long distances. Mirrors, flags, smoke, and others that we can use to get the word down below."

He waits to see whether Daxia thinks it is a dumb idea or not.

Zeim #619321 Mon 09/07/12 17:07 UTC
Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Daxia
with the Gang at the Inn

"I..." Daxia shrugged. "I am only an Initiate, Mikal. To call the Wrath of Dayala, I must see that which I am asking Her to strike. At least..." She shook her head, looking slightly puzzled. "...well, that's what I was taught, anyway. I know Priestesses have more capabilities than Initiates, and..."

She looked at him, held his eyes for a handful of heartbeats before speaking, her eyes never leaving his as she spoke.

"You understand that once we have killed the Avatar that set this curse, once this curse is broken, Verchovai Tashka and Priestess Linette will not be able to help us, yes? They can only be of help while the Avatar lives."

Kel #619325 Mon 09/07/12 17:28 UTC
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Mikal

He shrugs. "Any help is better than no help. Even if they have to summon such help down below and tell whatever it is to come up and help us on the hill, it's better than nothing."

Zeim #619359 Mon 09/07/12 21:07 UTC
Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Daxia
with the Gang at the Inn

She regarded him for a moment before looking back down to the chore of cleaning armor. After a fullhand of breaths, perhaps more, Daxia nodded slightly. "I will ask that such help be given where and and when it is possible," she said evenly.

Kel #619361 Mon 09/07/12 21:23 UTC
Arssanguinus
Online Shocked
Arssanguinus
Kadri ...

Merely places one hand on Daxia's shoulder and squeezes, briefly.

Kel #619363 Mon 09/07/12 21:26 UTC
She of Chaos
She of Chaos
Darian

The Hunter offered nothing more other than an "Eat" to Kadri and Cesare.

She followed her own advice and cleaned out her bowl and mug. She disappeared long enough to come back with more, then set to checking all the arrows as she worked.

ividia #619493 Tue 10/07/12 14:36 UTC
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Mikal

He looks at her curiously, then asks, "You seem...., hesitant? Is there something unusual or unseemly about my suggestion? Does it obligate you to some debt? I would think Verchovai Tashka and Priestess Linette would be eager to do anything they can to help us in our goal."

Zeim #619509 Tue 10/07/12 15:24 UTC
Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Daxia
with the Gang at the Inn

She looked up again, a look of surprise flashing across her features for perhaps the blink of an eye before she shook her head and smiled sadly.

"Hesitant? No. I'm sorry I gave that impression," she said. "I know both Tashka and Linette... everyone in this room... all of your Guild-Brothers... everyone who stays to defend the town will do everything possible to help. And there is nothing unseemly about your request; I had already planned to ask both Tashka and Linette about ways they might help in the short time they have. The only debt I have is one already incurred, and that is my debt of gratitude for what they did 350 years ago. Breaking this curse is the very least I can do to begin repaying that debt."

Daxia shrugged.

"I am perhaps... pained... that so much Dayalan history will likely be lost when Verchovai Tashka joins our Sisters."

Again, the redhead smiled. "I am not just a Warrior, Mikal. When we first met, I believe I mentioned that Dayalans are rare outside Dawnview Vale, and the only ones who do leave are the Warriors. But I am on the path to becoming a Priestess... yes, a Warrior-Priestess, for that is the way of our cult. As such, I am also a scholar."

She bowed her head again, finishing the last bit of cleaning of her greaves. "I would be better not thinking of the amount of knowledge that will be lost tonight, nyi? I will simply concentrate on the task of breaking this curse and, as Swordlord Donner said, shattering the cycle of the Avatars."

Kel #619524 Tue 10/07/12 15:57 UTC
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Mikal

He nods in understanding, and pauses before offering, "We have spoken before, many times in jest, about reading and writing. I do not trust it, nor do most of my brethren, yet I do know that it holds value for you and your order."

He holds up a hand to forestall protest. "The benefit of my not learning to read and write, beyond signing my name, is that it has caused me to exercise my memory. I needed to remember the exact process for birthing a calf, and what to do should it breech. I needed to remember each and every kind of crop we grew at home, when it had to be planted, when harvested, and how. I had to remember every single story my mother told me each night at bedtime, and all of her lessons in language. I had to remember every bit of fighting tactics, strategy, and lore that I learned in Cameron's. The result, as is with exercising any muscle, my memory is better than almost any I have met. I was told I'd make an excellent Jvrillian Messenger, were I not so adept at fighting."

He pauses again and looks at her. "If I am told something I need to remember, I can recall it, word for word, even years later. If you like, I will sit with the Verchovai and have her recite lore to me, for hours if needs be. I can recall it to you at a later time so you might write it down for safe-keeping. If you do not trust me, I am willing to amend our contract to include my silence of anything I hear."

Last edited by Zeim; Tue 10/07/12 15:57 UTC.
Zeim #619525 Tue 10/07/12 16:08 UTC
Arssanguinus
Online Shocked
Arssanguinus
Kadri:

"History will not be lost; new history will be made. Perhaps there can be new ballads of our battle - and the brave role played by those who die. Makes me prod to know A Dayallan - and if it does not make the others in town the same by the end of the day, than to the hells with them."

Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Daxia
with the Gang at the Inn

She looked up from the final inspection of her armor, and although her mood was somber, her eyes were full of gratitude.

"My training, though different, had the same effect. My memory is excellent." She chuckled and shrugged lightly. "How else do you think it was possible for me to remember Camelia's full name... Cesare's full name... Romana's full name... on a single hearing of those names? Those are some very impressively large names, you must admit! Just because Dayalans read and write does not mean everything is committed to writing. But your offer is generous and very much appreciated, Mikal.

"The simple truth is that there is not that amount of time for Tashka to recite all she knows. I can hope to learn the things that will benefit my Sisters the most, primarily spells that may have been lost, but there is not time for her to teach them to me... save, perhaps, for the simplest ones. To say what they are, to say what they do... yes, perhaps that much. And then those with greater knowledge, back home in the Vale, will need to work out how those things were once done.

"The simple truth is that the moment we are finished here, I will clean myself and make ready for our battle, and then present myself one last time to Verchovai Tashka and Priestess Linette... to learn what I can, and to say..."

Daxia stopped, jaws clenched tightly. She closed her eyes, and breathed deeply, exhaling slowly... a handful of times.

"I will say good-bye." Her voice was very, very soft.

"And then, when we have broken the curse and the cycle of the Avatars," she said more strongly, opening her eyes again, "I will return one last time to the Chapel to bear them up, for I promised Linette no Covener would be left beneath stone, and Tashka deserves..." She swallowed, hard.

"Tashka deserves a proper Dayalan pyre."

She looked steadily at Mikal for long heartbeats, a fullhand or so.

"No human lives 350 years, Mikal, unless they are cursed." She held his eyes for a few more heartbeats, before turning to Kadri, smiling.

"I believe a certain sister of mine once said that ballads would be written about the legendary Dayalan I was destined to be." Daxia glanced up at Bekkah, then back to Kadri.

"It matters not to me, truly, Kadri, whether those in the town know what I will have done, what we will have done. I care about seeing my Sister and the one she loves free of the curse. I care about seeing Bordertown a safer place. I don't do this for glory or to be accorded high honors; I do this because it is the RIGHT thing to do.

"And that is what we do, what we always strive to do... we Dayalans...

"Sometimes..." She glanced at Camelia with a soft smile. "Sometimes we simply buy time."

She looked back at Kadri again. "But this time, though, this Dayalan will protect and do the right thing, and not simply buy time.

"And, always, if we are lucky to see Her rising on a new day, Dayalans do it all over again."

Kel #619564 Tue 10/07/12 18:54 UTC
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Mikal

"You mean those are your actual names?" He says with exagerated shock. "I thought you just threw a bunch of gobble-de-gook together every time you introduced yourselves to make it sound more impressive. Did you pain your mothers so much in their labour of birthing you that they felt the need to inflict a lifetime of punishment back upon you?"

Zeim #619577 Tue 10/07/12 19:28 UTC
Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Daxia
with the Gang at the Inn

Daxia smiled... almost a grin, really... at Mikal for breaking the tension, lightening the mood. First glancing between Camelia and Cesare -- their names, their tales to tell -- she then proceeded to finish the inspection of her armor, and then her weapons.

Kel #619583 Tue 10/07/12 19:44 UTC
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Mikal

He smiles back and having finished with his armour, it not being as badly filled with gore as Daxia's, he makes to stand and don it when he stops. He bends at the knee to squat next to where Daxia is still cleaning and holds out his hand.

"Considering where we will be this evening. I'd have you know my name. I am Llugh D'Allyne. 'Mikal' is a nickname I took up some time back when I did not wish everyone I met to know who I was."

Zeim #619590 Tue 10/07/12 20:10 UTC
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Bordertown
Sometime After Sunrise
Hasday, The Twenty-Second Day of the Month of Crown of Ice, 2623

In Daxia's Room ...

"Good name ... says who are, where from, how fit in worlds ..."

Romana spoke quietly from her dark corner of her room.

"Mother calle Romanas ...

"Just ...

"Romi."

Wolf #619789 Wed 11/07/12 19:15 UTC
Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Daxia
with the Gang at the Inn

She grasped his hand; strong and firm, calloused and dry, a sworder's hand and not a Lady's. "I sense a story to be told, Llugh D'Allyne, and would like to hear it when this night is over." Daxia smiled. "But you have taken your name from one of the many variations of a song that is very dear to me, so I am happy to continue calling you by the name you have chosen."

Daxia gave his hand a firm squeeze before releasing it and looking over at her quiet friend in the corner.

"Ah, who is Dazidazidazi? Dazi is Dazi is Dazi, yah? Where is Dazidazidazi from? Oh! Red hair says Dazi most likely from Vale, yah? How does Dazidazidazi fit in the world?" She shrugged. "That's why Dazi is walking the world, yes?

"Hard to know how you fit in the world unless you know about the world. At least, that's what Dazidazidazi thinks."

Kel #620001 Fri 13/07/12 15:00 UTC
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Mikal

He frowns briefly, then adds to the group, "I do not like the idea of us separating, and it occurs to me that we are eliminating the most powerful ally we have from our considerations. Lord Random's Tower."

"Unless we believe the Avatar would not come after you", he nods towards Daxia, "were you standing atop the tower, in full view, and in full regalia, and instead ignore you and go to kill the captives, we should seriously consider defending from within it."

"Yes, we give up mobility", and he nods towards Darian, Kadri, and Cesare, "but in return we gain the defense of solid stone walls."

"There is a reason why castles and towers are effectively undefeatable. The only ways they ever fall are either treachery of someone letting the enemy inside or starving the defenders out. They almost never fall from assault. You stand behind windows and crenelations and shoot the enemy at will, while they mill about down below ineffectually."

"If we have some loose cobblestones to toss down on them, or even boiling oil or water, even better."

Page 36 of 57 1 2 34 35 36 37 38 56 57

Moderated by  Wolf 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Talon475, Randal Trimmer, Kimf, Yvon, TennesseeBaron
177 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Member Spotlight
Pandemonium
Pandemonium
Oregon USA
Forum Statistics
Forums103
Topics2,869
Posts141,661
Members177
Most Online296
Jan 19th, 2020
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
†Restricted forums can only be accessed by DreamLyrics members of the age of 18 years or older. Access which is granted by the Behind Closed Doors Procedure.
™DreamLyrics Play-by-Post. DreamLyrics Play-by-Post does not own copyright on DreamLyrics texts or graphics, except trademarked DreamLyrics logos and logotypes. The works contained in DreamLyrics are copyrighted (automatically, under the Berne Convention) by the original authors and may be available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence. (See Copyrights for details.)
Privacy Policy