Eye of the Dragon
DreamLyrics Play-by-Post
Who's Online Now
2 members (Miales, Art in the Blood), 51 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Dice Roller
You will need to enable Javascript in order to view the Dice Roller.
Games Recruiting List

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 33 of 57 1 2 31 32 33 34 35 56 57
Gypsy #615709 Mon 25/06/12 16:51 UTC
M
M
Dean

Dean looks carefully from one sister to the other, and says "Of course, Lady Bekkah" as he watches her scamper up the rope. He nods to Lady Daxia and follows the Priestess up.

Mokie #615717 Mon 25/06/12 19:40 UTC
She of Chaos
She of Chaos
Darian

A glance to Kadri and Cesare in turn. "Aye, help good."

ividia #615886 Tue 26/06/12 11:23 UTC
Bekkah

"Perhaps it would be best if we visited Lady Kay first. I could borrow a clean robe from her, before we entered the town. Your own clothing has stains on it, but it does not stand out so sharply as the white of my robes. That should garner us less scrutiny from the guards."

Unless he objected, she headed for Lady Kay's home nearby.

Nivek #615900 Tue 26/06/12 12:23 UTC
Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Daxia
with the Gang at the Temple On The Border Ruins

Having completed her morning prayers, Daxia assisted Mikal, ensuring that Celi's body was set to rest in an inconspicuous spot with as little fanfare as possible. When Bekkah emerged from Lady Kay's, she went to speak quietly with her for a few minutes before indicating to Mikal to lead the way down the trail. Finally, she called to the Squire, and spoke with him quietly as well, before the two of them took the rear guard position in their little group.

"Everything is bad except unicorns." -- Phoebe
Kel #616073 Tue 26/06/12 23:26 UTC
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Bordertown
Sometime After Sunrise
Hasday, The Twenty-Second Day of the Month of Crown of Ice, 2623

Entering Bordertown with Mikal, Darian, Cesare, Dean, Bekkah, Daxia, Kadri and Romana

"And NOW you are telling me?"

That was the first hint, the first clue, that all was not the same; that something had changed between dusk and sunset. Outside the hospice Lady Kay stood, her stance stiff and tall, her hands like fists on her hips. Two new horses were upon the dawning ruins, being held by a large man dressed all in black. Facing off the obviously annoyed priestess was a smaller, younger woman, her garb a touch of summer brightness against the gray, dark skies.

From the east, storm clouds were rolling in.

"What do you expect me to say? You and your Brother Hastur were granted this place with the explicit agreement to stay out of town politics! How do you think I feel! To know this ... and not be able to do a thing about it! Do you think that's any better?

Lady Kay and Lady Kara.

"I MUST see to ..."

Lady Kay took a step forward.

Only to be stopped by a gentle hand on her arm.

"Lady ... listen to me ... we can't do anything. Feel the power in this place. It is neither dawn nor dusk, it is twilight. Right now the two Lost are neither living or dead, but somewhere in between ... they are beyond My Lady's reach, just as they are of Yours."

They both stopped, they paused, as the activity from the well garnered their attention.

"Tcha."

Two voices, the same word. It was Lady Kary who then spoke first.

"Excuse me, Lady of Mercy.

"That one ... that one is mine."

The elder Atteran woman crossed her arms, looking strict, tired and old. She looked to the well, that path obviously beyond her skill; perhaps, when she was young, she would have swung down the rope herself.

"I can at least provide some food, some bread, salves for hurts, wine to quench hurts, blankets for warmth and comfort ..."

Looking to the emerging group, she barked a sharp command.

"One of you will ... you will bring what I have to them, yes?"

Between the Ferryman and his Priestess, there would be proper care for the fallen.

"She's in my Lady's arms now. We will make sure her final rest will be proper ... the dead has no secrets from My Lady, and my Lady holds no secrets from her liegeswoman."

Across the ruins Her light washed. A grim morning.

But not a quiet one. The first touch of sunlight upon the town walls below was met with the tolling of bells, with the low deep warning bellows of war horns. As the little troop made its way down the overgrown path that this was no normal morning became obvious. Even at a distance the activity on the town walls was un mistakable - the wooden hoardings being repaired and reinforced, and there were many setting themselve within them, not just a daily patrol.

Outside of the town, perhaps a crossbow's shot away from the walls, farmers worked. They were creating a series of hay bales ... no, not hay bales but creating what might be the foundation of bonfires, ringing the town, but most between the eastern walls and the green woods beyond.

The town gates were open; all three of them. A steady stream of wagons headed west, headed north, bound or the emptiness of the High Tarn. At the Greenland's gate the traffic was inbound; probably those who lived relatively near to Bordertown.

More important, however, was the sound of thunder.

At least a ten fullhands, maybe more, mounted warrior galloped hard out of the town. Their banners, the mantling of their warhorses snapped in the cold morning wind. Steel both silver and black reflected the dawn's light, mostly ox tongue lances, deadly and sure. It took both Daxia and Mikal a moment to realize exactly what was happening.

Mohlkavin's Heavy Horse was not abandoning Bordertown.

Heavy cavalry, the Rothian shock troops, would be less than useless held behind the town gates.

By the time they reached the portcullis, the watchtowers that guarded the entrance to the merchant town, therewas no sign of exactly where the Heavy Horse had ridden too,even the dust from their passage settled.

The gates were even different. The watch did not wear the heraldry of Donner's Swords; these men wore no special markings - not Jvrillians but the Sherif's men.

"Coin?"

The guard just looked at Daxia, his nose twisting as he saw what she offered.

"House Marrennen has suspended tolls for the next five days, ja? This isn't a matter of making money, it's a matter of getting folks safe. The gates close at noon; if you aren't out by then it's safer to stay; you won't be able to get far enough away come ..."

He speaks the next word quietly.

" ... sunset."

Indeed, the wagons leaving the city, while driven by menfolk, seemed to be carrying mostly with wives, daughters and children.

Inside ... the streets were crowded, busting, the center of the activity the Jvrillian Guildhouse. Both troopers and towns folks bustled, preparing, getting weapons and supplies - wood for signal and watchfires, quarrels for the crossbow posts, spears and polearms to be brought up and racked across the ramparts, casks of a dark, awful smelling fluid to be set upon regular spacing and what looked to be large kettles of water already set to boil.

In front of the hall Donner's troops had gathered; all of them, their impressive number now obvious since they were not split between three watches. Armor was being inspected, repaired, new pieces tried on and fitted, old pieces set sure and comfortable. Outside seemed to be the rank and file, and the traffic in and out was brisk.

The town well was a center of activity, water being brought up on a continual basis ... to fill buckets, to fill barrels, to fill casks. Some were set in a regimented spacing down the street, some were brought inside the buildings, and where some buildings had flat roofs, they were set up upon them.

Amongst all this the little group from the ruins were but a small eddy in a much larger current.

Though dark whispers, dark glances between the towns folks certainly knew who to set the blame for this day, and the coming evening.

It could be summed up in a single cursed statement overheard as the Guildhouse was passed by.

" ... Donner says he's going to beat that Korie-bought cur to a bloody pulp if he ever dares walk through our gates ever again."

Last edited by Wolf; Tue 26/06/12 23:34 UTC.
Wolf #616074 Tue 26/06/12 23:28 UTC
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Bordertown
Sometime After Sunrise

Brief Interludes ...

Bekkah and Lady Kay

One of the few pieces of furniture in the hospice was a large armoire, and when Bekkah followed Lady Kay inside that was where she was. The big doors opened and she was shifting through blankets and clothes and cloaks, turning as she herd her sister enter. "A robe? yes .. yes .. let me see ..." She rummages, finally coming up with a set of fair, cream colored tunics. Why would she have any other color? "Here you go, Lady Bekkah. and no worries ... the town goodwives keep sending them up." The nice thing about a simple tunic is that it is very forgiving. Unless far far too small a belt can do wonders for one cut fitting many.

Darian and Longtooth

Across from the guildhall, one person watched with an air of boh scorn and amusement. He was rough looking, his hair slick, his leathers worn and stained. At his feet lounge two huge curs ... and neither ruff nor snarkhaound they be. This Hunter, he keeps wolves, and while most of the street is crowded and bustling, his stop is the one place given wide berth. He rests, almost nonchalant, a whole stack of arrows in his lap. each one he carefully checks, smooths the feltching, makes sure it is straight and sound, before setting it into a tall quiver.

Both wolves and he note the approaching darian, notice Longtooth's slow, deliberate gait.

Their look is not friendly.

But then, they share that look with the entire population of the town.

Mikal and Daxia

The two are mostly ignored, a shared glance as they make their way through the mustering troop. If there is a look, a sharp snort, it is more along the lines of get-out-of-the-way-we-got-work to do.

"One of THEM in the Guildhall?

"Stow it, mister ... you got skirmisher duty, ja? The real question is what in Krysta's cold hells are YOU still doing here."

Inside the main hall had been cleared out and a set of tables pushed together in the center. Around it the Temple Elders gathered - Donner and his lieutenants, the Blacksmith, a handful of Swordpriests and two more.

A messenger wearing Mohlkavin's colors and the blue dyed Shattersword.

Cesare

The Rhoni easily find Camelia, who sits alone in the corner of the Dragonstooth commons. She is looking at her deck of cards. She is frowning, as before her lie three identical cards. A simple pasteboard mandala, the Wheel of Chaos. She takes up the cards, shuffles the deck, and then lays out all the cards, face up.

Now there is only one card of each kind showing.

Bekkah and Dean

For once it is Bekkah that has the hardest challenge. For the market is mostly empty; the merchants securing their goods against the coming night and their labors commandeered to set the town's defenses. Fengel, who managed the small outfitters shop, had to be bribed to open his doors. A few crowns, and within Bekkah could find enough to finish her shopping.

"Shopping before the night. Crazy woman. If things go well tomorrow's good enough for marketing ... if they don't, well, no one will be alive to come to the market anyways ..."

Dean could not find a merchant to buy a shield.

However, at the guildhouse there was a Jvrillian armorer, helping ready his troop.

"A round shield?

"Who upon sea and hills uses a round ... oh ... ja ... " he shook his head and snorted. " .... Her."

Rummaging through his gear he finds one round shield, frowns, another and it in the third one that he hefts up. Sturdy wood, a steel boss and steel fittings around the rim. It bore no heraldry, its surface painted the color of night.

"Just a bloody moment."

The armorer looked through his wars and brought out a small ceramic pot and a wide brush. Inside the pot was a thick white paint.

With more haste than skill he painted two wide, sloppy vertical stripes down the front of the shield.

"Tell her we don't keep silver on hand."

Last edited by Wolf; Tue 26/06/12 23:42 UTC.
Wolf #616077 Tue 26/06/12 23:43 UTC
She of Chaos
She of Chaos
Darian

The old Hunters of the Pack used to give her that look when she did things more suited to the males of the Pack. At least they had until the bad winter that had robbed them of so many Pack-mates. Then her skills were not only appreciated but nurtured and trained, and she was accepted into Khannish's service as one of his Hunters.

Though everyone else gave the gruff old Hunter space, she, with Longtooth at her side, walked straight for him.

"Me be Darian. This be Longtooth."

ividia #616082 Wed 27/06/12 00:20 UTC
Arssanguinus
Online Shocked
Arssanguinus
Kadri waits a ways off from Darian, leaning against something convenient and being unobtrusive and ... watching. Everyone. Taking in the activity and filing away anything potentially useful.

Last edited by Art in the Blood; Wed 27/06/12 01:52 UTC.
Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Daxia
with the Gang at the Temple On The Border Ruins

She had obviously missed the first part of their conversation, but from what she did hear, she saw the Pattern.

The Dayalan said only two words to the young Priestess of Krysta, two words whispered so softly as to barely be heard as Celi was given over to Krysta's Lady.

"You knew."

Blue eyes clear, she simply looked at Krysta's Lady with the deepest of anguish painted plain across her face.

Two deep, unsteady breaths followed by two steady ones; Daxia inclined her head respectfully for a moment to the Priestess.

"I vowed to end this, and so it will end. Your Lady will need not wait but another night to collect that which was her due seven generations past."

But for the blue eyes, it might have been a member of the Noble Family Allaine speaking... sure, clear, courtly and -- because she was Allaine -- compassionate. She turned to the elderly Atteran.

"They are bound so tightly that food and drink will be of little comfort unless there is one to feed them and help them drink. My sister has done what can be done for them. But we will return this way if it is possible, and bear your gifts to them."

Daxia smiled slightly at Lady Kay. "They have had more comfort these past two nights than either you or I could ever imagine, Lady -- even bound as they are. That they were not subjected to their nightly torments was a comfort as warm as any blanket we could bring them, as fine as the best wines from Talantal.

"Do not let your heart be burdened by this, Lady Kay... please. I bear that burden for you. My Lady's Temple was defiled, and I grieve for what was done to my Sisters here."

She paused, her smile growing slightly, as she inclined her head respectfully to the Atteran Priestess, as well.

"If I should survive the coming battle -- and it is quite necessary that I do so," she said, with the hint of a twinkle in her eyes, "...with some help, I should be able to clean and Purify the well for you as I promised."

Kel #616110 Wed 27/06/12 01:46 UTC
Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Daxia
with Mikal in the Bordertown Jvrillian Guildhouse

At the comment about her presence in the Guildhouse, Daxia muttered to Mikal, "I do so love your Guild-brothers, Mikal. I can see where we could be an endless source of amusement to one another."

After entering the main hall and seeing the Temple Elders gathered, she said -- not quite as softly, but still not loud enough to hear from more than a pace or two away -- "They seem to be well-motivated, my friend. There may be no need to shame them."

Kel #616128 Wed 27/06/12 11:46 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

Having left Darian to talk to the hunter, she knows he'll be in the inn when she needs him, he nods to Camelia.

"I'm getting an ale and food, want anything?"

He will give his order and hers if one is forthcoming before taking a seat opposite her.

"Camelia, I need to explain what has happened over the last day or two. We have not neglected you but circumstances have prevented our return."

His general appearance should bear witness to this as he is dishevelled and gore spattered, not looking his best.

"But if you are willing I would like a reading first."

He should have time and it is better if he says nothing that will influence her. Then they can talk and he can get cleaned up.

Gypsy #616240 Wed 27/06/12 20:05 UTC
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Mikal

He nods to Daxia, having observed the preparations. "Yes. Seems the 'Thing' went Molkhavin's way."

He enters the room with Daxia and pauses, taking in who is present. He and Daxia's gore spattered clothing a testament to the manner in which they spent the last evening.

Seeing an obvious planning session underway, he waits, not wanting to interrupt.

Zeim #616376 Thu 28/06/12 12:18 UTC
Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Daxia
with Mikal at the Bordertown Jvrillian Guildhouse

The Dayalan stood at his side.

Precisely, exactly at his side.

And while she patiently waited with him, her eyes scanned the room momentarily, but focused on the group in front of them. Watching. Observing.

ividia #616789 Fri 29/06/12 16:29 UTC
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Bordertown
Sometime After Sunrise

Brief Interludes ...

Darian, Longtooth ..............................and KADRI!

The rough Hunter simply looked up to the two, the Huntress and Hound and offered a single droll word.

"Congratulations."

He continued to prepare his arrows for the evening's Hunt. He looked past her and Longtooth, eying the dark haired Amberite with unhidden suspicion.

"She isn't from here. Never trust foreign folks."

He reached down and tapped one of the wolves on the head. The wolf just looked up, peering at Kadri as silently commanded, and growled.

"I'm Hunting the Greenlands Woods this evening.

"You looking to tag along, puppy?"

Zeim #616791 Fri 29/06/12 16:34 UTC
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Bordertown
Sometime After Sunrise

Brief Interludes ...

Mikal and Daxia

It is not long before one of the mercenaries looked up, noting the two.

He frowned and chuffed out a derisive breath, but did not immediately speak. It was Donner and he crossed his arms before his chest.

"Our ... Heroes."

Two simple words.

"I have one question for you.

"If we give you the chance, do you believe you can put the Carnage Ruff down?"

Gypsy #616792 Fri 29/06/12 16:40 UTC
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Bordertown
Sometime After Sunrise

Brief Interludes ...

Cesare

The young blonde looked up to the Rhoni, as she gathered up her carefully painted deck of cards.

"Then what is your question, Cesare?

"It is important to have a question.

"But it is more important if it is a good question."

Wolf #616793 Fri 29/06/12 16:42 UTC
Arssanguinus
Online Shocked
Arssanguinus
Kadri just looked back idly for a moment, raised an eyebrow, and went on doing what she was doing, in the manner of a cat who had, perhaps, noticed a challenge but was going to just pretend not to notice it.

Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Daxia
with Mikal at the Bordertown Jvrillian Guildhouse

It was the Dayalan who answered the question.

Simply and directly.

"Yes."

Wolf #616809 Fri 29/06/12 17:49 UTC
She of Chaos
She of Chaos
Darian

The term was likely offered to test or offend or both. The things that needed doing were too important to bother with offense. Beasts behaving unnaturally needed to be dealt with.

"Nay," she shook her head. "Go to Hunt earlier. Need favor renewed."

ividia #616865 Fri 29/06/12 22:27 UTC
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Mikal

He nods. Then, echoing Daxia, he also says, "Yes. That was the plan all along. I'd like to know what you mean by giving us the chance, though? Is there anything we need to know about what you plan to do?"

Zeim #617176 Sun 01/07/12 00:36 UTC
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Bordertown
Sometime After Sunrise

Brief Interludes ...

Mikal and Daxia

Donner nodded towards the table, waving the two over.

"Good."

One simple word.

He then pointed to a large map of the town, the woods and the Temple ruins.

"While theRiff and his will come out of the woods and Jvrill doesn't even know the who and where he will attack, we do know one thing.

"He is coming after you.

"If he doesn't find you, he will turn his wrath on the closest target. In this case the farms about and the town."

The mercenary points to a spot, at the top of the temple, on its eastern side.

"So, when he comes out of the woods, he needs to see you. He has to see his target.

"Your job will be to kill one man-thing.

"Our job will be to make sure the least number of his accompany him up the side of the temple ... but ...

"More importantly ...

"Our job will be to keep his men so busy we can can shatter the vicious cycle of Ruff dies and a new one takes his place."

Wolf #617445 Sun 01/07/12 18:00 UTC
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Mikal

He nods slowly, looking over the map and listening. Then glancing at Daxia he turns back to Donner and replies. "May I introduce Lady Daxia Yurisdotter, Knight of Dawnview Castle. She who holds my contract. Lady Daxia, Swordlord Michaelmas Donner. Lady Daxia, I'd like to hear your thoughts."

Last edited by Zeim; Sun 01/07/12 18:39 UTC.
Zeim #617466 Sun 01/07/12 19:30 UTC
Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Daxia
with Mikal and the Jvrillian Elders at the Bordertown Jvrillian Guildhouse

She accompanied Mikal to the table, and studied the map. One hand rested easily on the crossguard of her sword, the other was fisted and settled against her opposite hip. She ignored Donner's statement of the obvious -- that the Avatar was coming for her, her group -- and heard him out.

At Mikal's introduction, Daxia inclined her head politely. "Swordlord." Despite her current disreputable appearance, her bearing was precise, reflecting her training with the Captain of Allaine's House Guard.

"Unless his eyesight is poor, wearing the colors of Dayala should be an obvious enough enticement. I can be sure he sees me here," she said, a finger alighting for a moment on top of the Temple, "even should He arrive after Her setting.

"My people have varying skills, not all of which are useful in combat. A Hunter; two whose skills lie mostly in accurately throwing knives and being light of foot; Mikal; a Squire of Rames; my sister, a Lady of Attera; and two who have no fighting skills to speak of.

"I will encourage both Lady Kay and Lady Bekkah to find a place inside the town to set up their hospice." She looked back up at the Swordlord. "However, if your Lady Kay is as obstinate as my sister, I can make no promises there. And after less than an afternoon's acquaintance, I can see a team of draft horses would not pry Lord Random from his tower," she said wryly. "So the fewer of His followers to reach the top of the Temple, the safer your Imperials will be."

The Dayalan lightly clasped her hand behind her back. "When do you expect them? Do they fear Her light and come at dusk... or being Chaos, do they follow no rules?

ividia #617993 Tue 03/07/12 16:36 UTC
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Bordertown
Sometime After Sunrise

Brief Interludes ...

Darian, Longtooth and Kadri

The Hunter frowned, as he reached out a hand to scritch between the growling wolf's ear, as if agreeing with the critter's assessment of his morning's interruption. he then looked up to the ruins.

"Bah. Must have been like waiting for the harvest run of the deer from cold lands to warmer. Oh some will say that is knowledge of one's prey ...

"It's better to actually seek out your next meal, not to wait for it to come to you."

He set the last of his arrows into his quiver, shaking himself out as he stood, sending trail dust everywhere.

"Want the Hunter's blessings ... then we hunt. Ask over the body of something just killed. I don't hunt the fields ... you want, we hunt in the woods."

He then looked over his shoulder, as he slowly stared to amble towards the gate, the two big grey wolves at his side.

" ... SHE ... however ... stays."

Wolf #617999 Tue 03/07/12 16:46 UTC
She of Chaos
She of Chaos
Darian

A nod.

"Aye."

This she understood. Somethings were not shared outside the Pack.

She looked to the Amberite. "Kadri, go Cesare. Darian be back."

Without waiting for an answer she turned and followed the old Hunter, Longtooth at her side.

Page 33 of 57 1 2 31 32 33 34 35 56 57

Moderated by  Wolf 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Talon475, Randal Trimmer, Kimf, Yvon, TennesseeBaron
177 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Member Spotlight
Barry Mulvihill
Barry Mulvihill
Columbus Ohio, USA
Forum Statistics
Forums103
Topics2,869
Posts141,655
Members177
Most Online296
Jan 19th, 2020
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
†Restricted forums can only be accessed by DreamLyrics members of the age of 18 years or older. Access which is granted by the Behind Closed Doors Procedure.
™DreamLyrics Play-by-Post. DreamLyrics Play-by-Post does not own copyright on DreamLyrics texts or graphics, except trademarked DreamLyrics logos and logotypes. The works contained in DreamLyrics are copyrighted (automatically, under the Berne Convention) by the original authors and may be available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence. (See Copyrights for details.)
Privacy Policy