Eye of the Dragon
DreamLyrics Play-by-Post
Who's Online Now
1 members (Alduin), 67 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Dice Roller
You will need to enable Javascript in order to view the Dice Roller.
Games Recruiting List

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 57 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 56 57
Wolf #591843 Mon 02/04/12 23:44 UTC
N
Nicki Jett
Unregistered
Nicki Jett
Unregistered
N
Celi

Celi nodded furiously. "All right Kadri. I use name always. I will remember. Wasn't meant to be hurtful; my Gram called *me* child, and meant it with affection and respect. That was how I meant it, but I guess it didn't work out.

"SO how about the things they think I should know: what event was Romana referring to when she asked me about it, and ... what is a Dayalan?"

#591895 Tue 03/04/12 03:09 UTC
Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Kadri:

She gives her a long, hard look .

"You know this Celi. You have been told this. Were you not listening?"

Another pause.

"But more than that, you do not understand what happened so long ago? Truly? I know less to start than Romana and Dazi and I could pick it up. The East invaded, and the Easterners - they sacrificed many, many of the Dayalans at this spot. Sacrificed them to bring gods into this world - your gods - so that they could be slain. But the reaction of the Coven. . . "

She frowns.

". . . was to kill the Heartwood. They twisted it and used it as a blade for their vengeance. Easterners didn't do it. Coveners did it. They turned the heartwood to the Dirkwood. To that twisted place. So what Romana asked, Celi, was if the twisting of the Heartwood into that perverted place was worth the vengeance gained on the Easterners? Even if you didn't do it, can you not at least grant how. . . ."

She pauses, her eyes fiery.

". . .how much of a crime that was? A crime against THEMSELVES as well as everyone else. A crime against the very gods they were avenging. Do you think that vengeance was merely 'inevitable' and therefore somehow acceptable? Eastern princes killed people and your gods - and your people tortured the land to fulfill their vengeance. There are no innocents here, Celi. Your people were as guilty as any for their own reasons. The Dirkwood isn't the PAST Celi, it is the NOW. It is there, it is twisted, and it STILL remains. You did not personally cause it, no, that is granted and a given, but if you think its irrelevant than you would be a fool. You wish that your people's reputation could be fixed? Starting with at least this acknowledgment would be a beginning. Revenge is the sword that wounds the one who wields it, and the coven stabbed themselves in the heart with that blade."

She looks Celi directly in the eyes silent for a moment, and then speaks almost in a whisper.

"Do you understand, Celi?"

Last edited by Art in the Blood; Tue 03/04/12 03:41 UTC.
N
Nicki Jett
Unregistered
Nicki Jett
Unregistered
N
Celi

"I knew the Coveners and the Knights of Roth fought against the Easterners, only they could not stand against them. And I knew that our beloved Mother Nature and the Horned One were tricked into human form, and slain, this I know.

"But ... why would we poison the Heartwood? You say we turned it into the Dirkwood, yes? Was it meant to drive the Easterners out, or as vengeance for our slain gods? Or, I suppose, as both. Such a response does not seem apportionate to me. Who would destroy the land to save it?

"I did not know this was our reputation. Why did we not fix it afterwards? Return it to its original grace and beauty? Is it because, without our Goddess, without the Horned One, we could no longer manage our resources and the strengths of those Coveners who yet lived? WHat can we do about t now?"

#591904 Tue 03/04/12 04:15 UTC
Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Kadri:

She pauses a long time and looks at her.

"They probably did not because they could not, if I had to guess. Or because they were too busy hiding and running. I don't know all of it Celi. . but can you see why, above all, that you should not be advertising who you are? Why it is DANGEROUS? Why you need to apologize, and apologize sincerely to Romana - and to Dazi. Why you need to LISTEN? You need to change, and change quickly out here. This is no joke. You might not think we, or the world is being fair. . but fair isn't a part of it. You need to adapt."

N
Nicki Jett
Unregistered
Nicki Jett
Unregistered
N
"That's what I set out to do. Until a little less than a year ago, I had never spoken to another person than Gram. Then a few months of *no* people, just Stormrunner. So I decided I needed to learn how to talk to others, and learn how to get along.

"It's just...I know so little about the things others talk about... or even how to talk, as you see. I don't know what makes people angry or sad. You have to help me! Can I follow you and you instruct me? Help me, please, Kadri. Please."

Last edited by Nicki Jett; Tue 03/04/12 08:22 UTC.
#591949 Tue 03/04/12 12:11 UTC
Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Kadri with Celi:

She takes a long, hard, quiet look at her.

"If you ask me something, and it is a good time - and it is something of which I know - I will tell. But I do not have the patience to have an. . apprentice. Bekkah is a much better teacher than simple, simple Kadri. But - Celi. . ."

She pauses significantly, and again captures Celi's eyes.

"I know I am not in charge, and I am not trying to be, nor do I wish to be - but I will need to see you are LISTENING and at the least trying your best to use what she says to you. Because else, you will be dangerous to be around. The wrong thing said to the wrong person - could land you in danger, and then, us."

Another pause.

"Do you understand Celi? Right now, I don't want explanations, I don't want long words and requests - I want a simple yes or no without lace or feathers tied to it. I want a yes or no that you will do this - and no more."

Last edited by Art in the Blood; Tue 03/04/12 12:14 UTC.
N
Nicki Jett
Unregistered
Nicki Jett
Unregistered
N
Celi

Obviously, talking had been one of her favorite pastimes; imagine if it were taken away from you, and then you were forced to live without it for over a year. Even her intimacy with Stormrunner was not the same.

But clearly, her lack of knowledge and her unrestrained manner made her likely to put her foot in it every time she opened her mouth. Which made her a target, which -- as was now made clear to her -- endangered everyone around her.

It was one of he hardest things she ever did, to *not* talk when she finally had a chance to spill all the thoughts and dreams she had bound within her. She at least wanted to apologize for not knowing. She had been out of touch, she had no practice, she ...

She twisted her fingers together, wringing her hands thoroughly, looking about for some sort of sign ...

She closed her eyes, called up Stormrunner's mind, her strength in all things.

"Yes. I will do this." If there was the faintest urge to say "...but" and append a provisional clause, she was brilliant enough to stifle it and only turned a little red with the effort.

Last edited by Nicki Jett; Tue 03/04/12 14:15 UTC.
#591998 Tue 03/04/12 15:09 UTC
Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Kadri:

"Good."

She holds up a finger, forestalling any immediate response.

"Lets find Bekkah and arrange for those lessons - but first, come the apologies. Again, we need the apologies straight without pretty feathers and lace, without excuses or explanations - just give them - and then we will move on to Bekkah. Any explanations should come later - after you have had some lessons in how to do them properly, yes? Again, this is a time for a yes or no answer. I am no teacher, but I can say one of the things you need to learn is to listen - hear, listen and swallow what is told and digest it before responding, yes? Meals of your thoughts are much better fully cooked than raw."

She stands, motioning her along.

"Come, come. This way. Remember, keep it simple. No ornaments. no excuses. No explanations. Just apologies."

Last edited by Art in the Blood; Tue 03/04/12 15:46 UTC.
Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Daxia

Daxia shook her head with a smile. "Romana is Romana is Romana is comrade, too." Then her voice lowered, as well, just a whisper. "You're welcome."

And then she was quiet, thinking, aware that Kadri was speaking with Celi but not paying attention. Finally, she said, "No, nothing is meant to last forever... at least, I don't think so.

"But if I understand what you're saying, the well should have... recovered? Healed? After all this time, it should no longer be tainted. And the fact that it still is tainted, means someone is keeping the power of the taint alive with hate. Someone is still paying attention to this place, or at the very least thinking very hard about it."

She looked at the well, at the foliage all around them, at the structures where Lady Kay and Brother Random lived and worked, and finally back to Romana.

"I think..." Her brows drew together, and she sighed. "I think this is going to take some time to puzzle through, yes? So many questions! Who would hate that much? And why? How could anyone keep that much hate alive for so long? Could a person live that long, to keep hating? I didn't think so, but I've learned of other things since leaving the Vale that I didn't think were possible either. If not a person, then what group passes hate from generation to generation to keep it going so strong?"

She shrugged and smiled. "Questions, questions, questions... Dazi always has questions."

"Everything is bad except unicorns." -- Phoebe
Kel #592119 Tue 03/04/12 19:53 UTC
N
Nicki Jett
Unregistered
Nicki Jett
Unregistered
N
Celi

"Yes, Kadi. And thank you. I just ..." she waved off he initial urge to add a continuation. "Thank you."

Celi rose to her feet and obediently ambled after Kadri, prepared to apologize and then allow the target to vent unresisted, say "I told you so," or just smack her.

She was quite confident that, had Stormrunner been listening, his first thoughts would have been rich with his native irony. She could hear him now, saying ...

I told you so.

He would probably smack her, too.

#592136 Tue 03/04/12 20:26 UTC
Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Kadri walked up, Celi in tow.

"Romana, Dazi - Celi has, I think, something to say, something short, before we go to find Bekkah for her."

She steps aside, to allow Celi the floor.

N
Nicki Jett
Unregistered
Nicki Jett
Unregistered
N
Celi

Celi stepped up and faced them, gave each a brief curtsey, and then made her plea, maintaining eye-contact and a hopeful demeanor throughout.

"Daxia, I apologize for all the things I said and the way i said them, when just we spoke. I am hereby committed to listening before speaking, and to managing my speaking manners in better fashion.

"Romana, I am sorry for anything uncaring or thoughtless or downright mean that I said to you, and likewise for my thoughtless manner in saying them. I did not then nor do I now have any wish to injure, insult or annoy you, and I promise with all my heart to make a concerted effort, from this moment onward, to cause you no annoyance.

"To both of you, I beg your forgiveness, and the indulgence of pointing out my errors to me in a constructive fashion, that I may learn better how to behave with others.

"Kadri is helping me, and for this I am very grateful. Also, she is going to introduce me to Bekkah, who we are hopeful will be able to give me additional guidance."

SHe was finished; her expression remained hopeful as she curtseyed to them once more, then stood there with her fingers laced, trying not to over-wring her hands.

Last edited by Nicki Jett; Tue 03/04/12 22:46 UTC.
#592173 Tue 03/04/12 22:53 UTC
Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Kadri, looking up when she is finished, makes a quick hand motion, behind Celi's back, like a little chop of the hand, hopefully to forestall too harsh of a reply - for now. This was close enough, for the time being.

Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Daxia

Daxia observed Celi as she spoke; watched as a bird of prey catches the tiniest of movements of small animals in the grass. When the girl finished her speech, Daxia's eyes flickered briefly to Kadri, before she turned to Romana.

"Romana was more angered by Celi's words than Daxia," she said. "Daxia was only very frustrated. Rhomanishkah'al'lhahrhonsha'al'khylyrishkatsarinish is of higher station than Daxia Yurisdotter. And Daxia is, by default, the leader of this group and likes to hear what others have to say before speaking," she concluded, as she stepped back half a pace and gestured for Romana to address Celi.

Wolf #592497 Wed 04/04/12 17:44 UTC
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Bordertown
Rameday, The Twenty-First Day of the Month of Crown of Ice, 2623

Out at the Well

"Questions ... questions ..."

Romana carefully considered Daxia's words.

"Questions are always nice. Especially ones that take long long time toanswer. They can be savored, yesyes? Not gone in a heartbeat like a dartling in the forest."

Yhe slender woman simply paused, however, as Celi approached. Her gaze, soft blue and shadowed by her hood, was more than a little catious, more than a little on edge, very much like a hart who knows a hungry wolf is nearby, somewhere.

She listens, to each and every word.

And then just nods her head, once.

"Pancakes!"

One simple word in mangled Colonial. Sometimes short words are good.

Romana then gnawed upon her lower lip.

"Romanas forget somethings very important. She looked at Celi, at Daxia, at Kadri. And then nodded, bouncing once on her heels.

"Lady Mercy, Lady Mercy says lunch.

"Will there be muffles?"

Last edited by Wolf; Thu 05/04/12 13:28 UTC.
Wolf #592502 Wed 04/04/12 17:50 UTC
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Bordertown

Out at the Well

" ... will there be muffles?"

That is the question that is in the air when Darian, Cesare and Longtooth reach the top of the ruins. It is an odd gathering. Romana and Daxia stand together ... kKadri with them. They are - or were - focused upon Celi. The Only other seen is Bekkah, standing at the entrance to Lady Kay's small house.

Wolf #592518 Wed 04/04/12 18:29 UTC
N
Nicki Jett
Unregistered
Nicki Jett
Unregistered
N
Celi

Celi had no idea what "muffles" were, let alone whether there would be any for lunch. But she was learning not to speak out against muffles, or lunch, or ... pretty much anything else.

Wait. Maybe that was supposed to be "muffins." But if she said anything, it could be construed as an insult against Romana. Word Police? No one expects the Word Police!

This was going to be even harder than she had imagined.

She wanted to make her way toward Kadri, hoping the others were through with her. But *that* might be construed as an insult by Daxia, because she did not get the final say. So she caught Kadri's eye, and nodded, then waited to be dismissed.

Last edited by Nicki Jett; Wed 04/04/12 21:30 UTC.
#592523 Wed 04/04/12 19:02 UTC
Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Daxia
with Romana, Celi and Kadri on the path away from the Ruins

Daxia silently watched Romana as Celi spoke, jaw tightening at several points during her speech, but she displayed a brief smile at Romana's expression of thanks. When she turned to look at Celi -- who was looking to Kadri for guidance -- she merely raised an eyebrow.

And waited.

While Romana worked out the fact that there was lunch to be had, and perhaps even muffles.

She ducked her head to the side, looking at Romana, with a tiny grin.

"Muffle-muffins are breakfast food in the Vale, but who knows what customs others might have, hmmm?"

Then Daxia's gaze returned to Celi.

"Your apology is accepted. It is my most sincere wish that we never have the need for lectures or apologies of this sort again, yes?" She nodded her head towards Bekkah. "Go talk to my sister, and begin your lessons."

She waited a moment before turning to Darian, Longtooth and Cesare, and regaining the step closer to Romana. "Surprise to see all here! What news? Why come?" Daxia looked from Darian to Cesare and back. "Daxia thought Darian, Cesare want time together, alone," she said with a grin.

Kel #592547 Wed 04/04/12 20:00 UTC
She of Chaos
She of Chaos
Darian

"Aye," Darian answered with a grin of her own but she was quickly serious again.

"Darian, Cesare explore town. See wall look here."

She turns and points towards the walls of Bordertown. "Longtooth growl, warn danger. Man on wall sense too. We come, warn friends. Forest not ... happy."

ividia #592551 Wed 04/04/12 20:09 UTC
Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Kadri

She gives Romana a brief smile.

"You are one of us. As I said to Celi. - if that means rescuing you fromthe rock - or from a sorcerer who wants a new friend - that is what I will do."

She looks over to Celi.

"Come come. To Bekkah."

And motions her along.

N
Nicki Jett
Unregistered
Nicki Jett
Unregistered
N
Celi

Celi snapped forward as if shot from a slingshot, skidding to a halt beside Kadri and Bekkah. "Thank you both for your intervention. The results have me feeling optimistic; at least so far, so good," she said. "Perhaps I should learn how to stand like this..." she clapped both hands over her mouth, then tried to look nonchalant.

"... while looking innocent. It would save a lot of analysis if I just couldn't say *anything*."

Last edited by Nicki Jett; Wed 04/04/12 21:39 UTC.
#592652 Thu 05/04/12 01:10 UTC
Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Kadri:

She rolls her eyes a bit and shakes her head.

"Celi. . . please, don't overdo it."

N
Nicki Jett
Unregistered
Nicki Jett
Unregistered
N
"Of course. That was just my way of breathing a giant sigh of relief. Bekkah, what would you like me to do?"

#592676 Thu 05/04/12 02:18 UTC
Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Daxia
with Romana, Darian, Longtooth and Cesare on the path away from the Ruins

Daxia frowned, brows knit together. "Longtooth sense danger, ok. Make sense. Longtooth smart that way, yes. But man sense danger like Longtooth?" She shook her head slowly, pulling on her lower lip with her teeth. After a handful of breaths, she said, "Never heard of such a thing.

"But Forest? Which Forest?"

She looked around, then pointed to the east. "Forest Roth?" She pointed towards the northwest. "Wor..." She stopped short, clamping both lips together with her teeth, then took a deep breath. "Forest Dirkwood?" she said quietly. Then she spread her arms up and wide, indicating the foliage all around them. "Or Forest No Name Yet?"

Again, Daxia looked around, rubbing the back of her neck for a moment. Then she crouched down, looking the big ruff in the eyes. "Longtooth feel danger, yes? Can tell Darian, show Dazi where? If far away, show which way? Longtooth can do this?" She looked into those eerily intelligent eyes, tilted her head a bit and smiled a very small smile. "Longtooth do this for friend Dazi, please?"

Kel #592809 Thu 05/04/12 14:58 UTC
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Bordertown

Out at the Well

"Ruff ..."

Ruff, is a usual word to hear from a ruff, and is in fact an usual word to hear when anyone is acquainted with or travels with a snarkhound or anyone else traveling with a four legged companion of the canine species. It usually means "anything the ruff wants it to" at the time of the ruffing and certainly everyone had experienced this from time to time. Perhaps you have experienced a ruff in the morning, when it meant "I just woke up, may I have a bit to eat" and one had to decide whether there was enough left over hart from the night before or whether or not a ruff would enjoy a piece of your muffle and jam. I have experienced a ruff at the Briny beach, where we had just learned of the sad and horrible death of a young rare Talesan's Bay narwhal, who had beached himself for some unknown reason, or perhaps a vaugue and desperate memory of once, back before the retrograde changes forced upon him by evolution, his kind had walked hand in hand in a field of wildflowers, but, no longer possessing hands, feet, wildflowers or terrestrial circulatory systems his quest for reliving the past ended his future. At that moment, I believe the ruff meant "Can I roll in the carcase, it smells nice." It was certainly not the case, as I have been told, when a ruff meant "Timmy has fallen in a well, is hanging on the ledge by his fingertips, help help before he falls to his doom ..." because while we have a well, that only occurs in minstrel tails and we, alas for lack of forethought, we do not have a Timmy ...

Page 9 of 57 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 56 57

Moderated by  Wolf 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Talon475, Randal Trimmer, Kimf, Yvon, TennesseeBaron
177 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Member Spotlight
Forum Statistics
Forums103
Topics2,848
Posts140,861
Members177
Most Online296
Jan 19th, 2020
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
†Restricted forums can only be accessed by DreamLyrics members of the age of 18 years or older. Access which is granted by the Behind Closed Doors Procedure.
™DreamLyrics Play-by-Post. DreamLyrics Play-by-Post does not own copyright on DreamLyrics texts or graphics, except trademarked DreamLyrics logos and logotypes. The works contained in DreamLyrics are copyrighted (automatically, under the Berne Convention) by the original authors and may be available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence. (See Copyrights for details.)
Privacy Policy