Eye of the Dragon
DreamLyrics Play-by-Post
Who's Online Now
1 members (Zeim), 51 guests, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Dice Roller
You will need to enable Javascript in order to view the Dice Roller.
Games Recruiting List

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 57 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 56 57
#589192 Mon 26/03/12 11:13 UTC
Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Daxia
with Kadri, Romana and Celi at the well at the Ruins

"The stories told across the length and breadth of the land are not the ones I learned when I became an Initiate," she said softly, not looking up. "Dayalans remember the Second Age as one of peace, a time when people farmed the land, and lived simply. There was little need of our teachings or skills, whether it be those of the sword or in building.

"The tales told now say the rule of the Coven was broken at Silk Creek, but our tales say the Coven never ruled... they taught, they guided, they gave assistance to the people living and farming all across the land. At most, they led the people, showing them how to live in harmony with everything around them.

"Of the Battle of Silk Creek Bridge, it is said that the Coven leaders had gathered an army of farmers, of simple folk to hold back the invaders from the East. Simple people, Celi, led by those who knew the magics of the earth and the animals, not the ways of war. And we were not there to aid them; we had been shattered.

"One among them, though, had learned to call demons. Here... at this very well where we stand, no doubt." She glanced up at Romana, and sadly shook her head before staring back down into the depths. "A sorcerer by the name of Davidson the Black.

"When he called his demons... his ANYTHING... the beasts ran amok through the Coven army, if one could even call it that, killing the Coven leaders, killing and scattering the farmers.

"There were fewer Coveners left then than Dayalans, for at least some of our Priestesses and Warriors had survived in Dawnview Vale.

"When She rose the next morn, the Knights of Roth charged into battle against the Eastern Horde, and were successful in scattering them, though the Easterners rallied and thought to reach the highside of the Tarn by going through the Dirkwood.

"The Easterners when in; none ever came out."

Daxia was quiet, watching her starlight begin to fade within the well, and long heartbeats passed before she looked up at Celi. "That the whole of the Second Age, that anything related to the Coven, is painted with a brush dipped in the evil acts of a single power-hungry madman is not a wrong I can right. Your forebears did the best they could, and you would not be wrong in being quietly proud of them,” she said in a low tone, hardly more than a whisper. "But the fact remains that few know it was only one man, wreaking havoc down the Highland Path from Bordertown to Highside Heather, who called forth the abominations. Most people believe all of the Coven were like Davidson the Black. Most people believe those of the Coven still living among them are like Davidson the Black. So when I say be quietly proud of them, I stress the quiet. Do you understand why, Celi?"

"Everything is bad except unicorns." -- Phoebe
#589275 Mon 26/03/12 16:30 UTC
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Bordertown
Rameday, The Twenty-First Day of the Month of Crown of Ice, 2623

Out at the Well

A slender, booted foot stomped on the broken ground.

"Dazidazidazis not listens! Close ears. Muddlings, oooshing all things togethers, even not like things, like oooshings fires and waters, all gets is fogs and not sees anythings!

"Not everythings happens at Silk Creeks."

Romana ducked her head.

"Kashkhanash stev 'doashk,
"Hajhankvic stev 'nohoa.
"katanis hohka sten,
"daylna lashtana ko'aye dann koa ..."

She then looked up.

"Where, Dazidazidazi? Where World Forest? Where The Heartwood?

She pointed east.

"Not there, mountains filled with earth's bones. Not there, where the Black tried hides, where found by One-Who-Is-Never-Named ... those woods young, those woods not old."

She pointed west.

"Not theres. Little woods, lonely trees, young trees. More rocky rocks than leafy leaves! Waters too, far as can see. Romanas never see seas ..."

She pointed to the sloped terraces.

"Not heres ... once all stone, now all growy."

The young woman spun around again, almost tumbling.

"Where The Heartwood, Dazidazidazi? Not there, not there, not there ...

"Where old enough?"

She then pointed again to the northwest.

"There. Last of World Forest.

"The Heartwood."

She did indeed point to the grim fell ancient place ...

That the mainlanders called The Dirkwood.

Zeim #589284 Mon 26/03/12 16:44 UTC
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Bordertown

At the Jvrillian Guildhouse

"Turn of phrase, lad."

The sword Priest first looked to Mikal, and then to the east.

"More like those who hold the Forest are restless.

"They are like a den of merebeasts. All it takes is a poke with a pointed stick and they will be on us, rabid unthinking creatures.

" ... or if they think they've been poked by a pointed stick.

" ... or if they haven't been poked by a pointed stick.

" ... if it's raining.

" ... if its tea time.

" ... or if its not."

Last edited by Wolf; Mon 26/03/12 16:44 UTC.
Wolf #589300 Mon 26/03/12 17:50 UTC
N
Nicki Jett
Unregistered
Nicki Jett
Unregistered
N
Celi at the well, with Daxia et.al.

"I understand.

Dazi left out the part where we lost our gods; where Mother Nature and the Horned One were tricked into assuming human form, then run down, captured, tortured and slain by the Four Fell Gods of the East. Should I mention it?

No. She said quiet.

"I will behave as you recommend. And I thank you for the honor you do me, in reco0unting that distant time. So few ever recognize the courage of the Coveners, standing against the Easterners, without their Gods to help them."

There. I got it in anyway.

"I would ask that you call on me, if ever I can be of service. I am no master at arms, but I can fight, and I have other useful skills if you require them, especially when we are without the walls of any city."

#589473 Tue 27/03/12 13:09 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

It is pleasant to stroll hand in hand around the town with Darian, no chores to complete, no errands to run, his destiny in his own hands.. except that he is fairly sure it is not at the moment.. except maybe just this little lull they are in. And he intends to enjoy it for as long.. or short.. as it lasts.

As they near the other gate, he becomes aware that Longtooth is reacting to something or somebody. He studies the figure outlined against the sky for several moments, wondering who he is. Somebody important judging by his clothing.. and thereby someone to avoid as a general principle. Maybe the threat lies further afield? Maybe that is what the man is looking out for?

He shades his eyes, looking to see if he can see anything beyond the walls, beyond the man.

"Who do you think he is?"

He mutters quietly to Darian.

Gypsy #589475 Tue 27/03/12 13:16 UTC
She of Chaos
She of Chaos
Darian

She gives a slow shake of her head.

"No know. Be wary," she answered quietly.

"Longtooth, where danger? Man?"

ividia #589476 Tue 27/03/12 13:20 UTC
Lady Bekkah with Lady Kay

She watched the group waltz out of the place leaving the two Ladies alone.

"They are not much for sitting still. They all still suffer from the impatience of youth, I'm afraid." she added sipping her tea.

Nivek #589764 Wed 28/03/12 10:42 UTC
Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Daxia

"Aaaaah!!!" Daxia waved her hands in the air, looking skyward. "Not everything happen Silk Creek! Romana say! Dazi hear! Celi ask Dazi tell story, Dazi tell story Dazi know!"

She sat down again on the edge of the ancient well, eyes closed, breathing slowly several times.

"You're welcome, Celi. Rest assured, if there is some task for which you are eminently qualified, I will set you to it without hesitation."

Silent again, she sat, though her lips moved as if she might be speaking. Finally, she repeated the Ancient words Romana had recited.

Kashkhanash stev 'doashk,
Hajhankvic stev 'nohoa.
katanis hohka sten,
daylna lashtana ko'aye dann koa...

"The poem of Beginning.

First there was the Forest, and all else was the many changing forms of darkness.
And in the World Forest the Firstborn played and ran.
Dancing above the green treetops was Chaos incarnate, an eternal night, vibrant and deadly.
Until She rose above the wood, and traced Her bright path through the sky.
Behind Her trailed all of the little children, who still mark the passage of Time...

She opened her eyes and looked to the northwest. "And in the World Forest the Firstborn played and ran," she whispered.

She looked up and back at the dark-haired girl from the East. "Is that where they are? Do the Firstborn still play and run in the World Forest?"

Kel #589888 Wed 28/03/12 16:15 UTC
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Bordertown

Out at the Well

"No."

"They too were banished when The Heartwood was killed."

The slender waif's gaze could not help but turn. The darkening sky shadowed her features, pale and still as her gaze fell upon their other companion.

Not Kadri.

"For what happened at Bordertown ...

"All it took was one more death.

"For what happened in Bordertown ...

"Was it worth it, Celi?"

Last edited by Wolf; Wed 28/03/12 16:16 UTC.
Nivek #589893 Wed 28/03/12 16:31 UTC
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Bordertown

Afternoon Tea with Lady Kay

"That is what the young are for, Lady Bekkah. To run and cause mischief. Remember those days?

"When we too were immortal, if only for a limited time?"

The elder Atteran looked out the window, where strained conversation rolled in like a storm front.

"Lady Bekkah ...

"Are you smoothing the waters with our Lady's mercy ... or are you tossing rocks into a smooth still pond?"

ividia #589895 Wed 28/03/12 16:47 UTC
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Bordertown

At the Closed Gatehouse

At his partner's words the snarkhound could not but growl.

Now that low sound, that did catch the attention of the tall stranger. Slowly, as if he had all the time in the world, he turned his head, a slow pivot to gaze down upon the three - including Longtooth - upon the street below.

It was not a comfortable gaze he leveled.

"Master Hythainian!"

Along the ramparts bustled an older man, wearing the same colors. This one was dogged by two armoured men, wearing surcoat covered mail. Their pace was much more relaxed, a deadly manner of ease.

The tall man, now distracted, turned back.

"Master, you should be inside!"

Above, like some odd passion play, a small scene played out. The tall man replied in an odd non sequitur.

"You can't feel it, can you. The disturbance."

"No, Master."

The tall man then strode along the battlements, heading east along the wall.

"Idiot."

He passed the two guardsmen, who fell into place beside him.

"Yes Master."

The servant turned and hurried after his liege, soon out of sight.

Wolf #589902 Wed 28/03/12 17:33 UTC
(Buffalo)
Online Busy
(Buffalo)
Mikal

He nods. It sounds like the typical griping and worrying of mercenaries everywhere he's been. The world is always about to come crashing down, and anything that happens is a bad omen. If re-enforcements arrive, it is because disaster is about to strike. If men leave, they are escaping before the disaster can happen to those left. Still, these men are on the pointy end of the stick, so he can't really blame them much for thinking that way.

"More restless than normal? Has anything happened to make them that way?"

Wolf #589903 Wed 28/03/12 17:38 UTC
N
Nicki Jett
Unregistered
Nicki Jett
Unregistered
N
Celi

"I am not a keeper of my people's fate, child. I am just me, Celi. Like those who went before, I am part of the wondrous tapestry that is Life. We all are born, live our time upon this world and then die, without fanfare, to be returned to the bosom of Nature to nurture the future of the world that nurtured us in our time. This is the Great Cycle, as it was and always will be.

"So when you ask about Bordertown, I do not ken the specific death to which you refer, or the events within the town. I wasn't there, and my counsel was never sought. And even if I had the wherewithal, I have no way to judge it's worth. It's *inevitability*, and its place in the Great Cycle, now *that* I can affirm."

#590023 Wed 28/03/12 23:16 UTC
Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Daxia

Daxia looked between Romana and Celi.

“Romana? Just what happened in Bordertown?” Her brows were drawn together, eyes narrowed.

“And how is it related to Celi... or her people?”

Kel #590033 Wed 28/03/12 23:49 UTC
She of Chaos
She of Chaos
Darian

Her eyes were drawn to the tower in blue beyond the walls, the one that looked down upon the ruins. The ruins where their friends had gone.

"Something ...threatens."

"Cesare, we hurry. Dazi, Kadri and Healer Bekka be out there."

ividia #590037 Thu 29/03/12 00:27 UTC
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Bordertown

Out at the Well

"Childs?"

One word, spoken,a quiet interrogation.

"Childs?"

The Princess drew herself up, shook out her cloak and met Celi's gaze with one of ice.

"Does Celis know the last time Romanas saw Mothers? Mothers, who would sacrifice all for daughters? Oh yes, Romanas saw. Held between two in black armors cast with demons, hand in long white hair so cannot look aways, above, from the top most towers, Father ties rope Mothers ankles, threw out windows. Watch hit walls, watch hangs, watch blood stain coloured stones. Took three days die.

"Why?

"Fathers kept Mothers alive, all while Romanas stolens.

"Why?

"To teach Romanas lessons, what happens if Romanas disobey."

The hooded head fell, looking down to the ground. She was silent, until words short and clipped and in a frozen monotone clarified everything.

"You. Not. Have. Right. Call. Romanas. Child."

Turning her head, Romana's words softened as she cast Daxia a sidelongs glance.

"How hurt Beasts and Trees? They everywhere, big, smalls, hunt, hunted, no templeplace, no city-city, scattered all across world like dust in winds.

"How hurt Beasts and Trees?

"Kill Gods."

A breath, a pause, as she shook her head.

"Big enough sacrifice, can summon ANYTHING.

"That what happened, at Bordertown.

"For Celis to say not know ... Celis ...

"Lie."

She then crossed her arms, turning to look away from them both, turning to look away to the west.

"How Romanas know?

"Because always together. Never one without others. Night and day, life and death, sea and stars, not Kadris, not Lady Mercys, not Hunter with Snarkyhounds.

"Leaves only Celi.

"How knows?

"There saying ... oldest saying, those carry steel of princes.

" ... dashka'tahl daylna'te'shabash ved'm? Daylna'stashkov'dahhana'daylna ... shabash ved'm'stashkov'dahhana'daylna ...

"What difference, between Starbredkillers and Children of Beasts and Trees?

"Starbredkillers always, always fight to last Starbredkiller.

"Children of Beast and Trees?

" ... are same.

"Always fight to last Starbredkiller."

Last edited by Wolf; Thu 29/03/12 00:42 UTC.
Wolf #590043 Thu 29/03/12 01:27 UTC
Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
KAdri...merely sits, blinking. Feeling like she is sitting in the middle of a gathering storm and not sure what - if anyuthing - to say.

Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Daxia

She stood when Romana began speaking of her mother... a hand stretched out, not touching; but it was evident from the tension in her arm that instinct was warring with the fact that one did not touch Romana.

And then Daxia dropped her hand, looking stunned when Romana explained what had happened at Bordertown... from the Easterners point of view.

"You... your mages summoned GODS???"

She stood and stared... mouth opening to speak, but then closing with a shake of her head; she did this several times before she could get anything more out.

"The... the Kh'Lhy'Ra princes came here and each time found Dayalans, warriors who would not ever give up, warriors who would fight until the ground was saturated with their blood, warriors who would keep fighting until the Eastern Princes had killed every last one of us," she said softly, with the beginning of understanding starting to be heard in her voice. "By happenstance, perhaps, both times the princes came across the Black Mountains, they found us defending the Children of the Beasts and the Trees, as you call them. But we fought -- we fight -- to defend everyone who needed defending.

"They didn't see that, though," she said thoughtfully. "They don't remember Risha's children as we do. They don't remember the women and children of towns and keeps as we do.

"But that didn't matter, did it? They saw a way to rid themselves of Dayalans, a formidable foe, and crush the spirit from the Children of the Beasts and the Trees. I wonder if they knew the whole of the land from Lilia's Castle to the Sea of Opals, from Trundle to the Plains of Kaa would turn so viciously against the Children of Beasts and the Trees?"

Daxia turned, looking to the northwest. "If they killed The Heartwood, the World Forest, to summon the Gods and bring them to our mortal plane so they could be killed...

"Then what is that?" she asked, pointing to the Dirkwood Forest. "That is not a dead thing; there are too many tales about people going into the Forest and never coming out again... too many tales of the very trees devouring people whole.

"It seems... it seems that instead of killing the World Forest, your mages simply drove it insane."

Kel #590110 Thu 29/03/12 05:49 UTC
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Bordertown

Out at the Well

The young woman flinched at that ... as if Daxia had actually hit her.

"No.

"Nevers.

"Pretty. Full of life. Place where anythings, anythings could happen. Cherish it."

Last edited by Wolf; Thu 29/03/12 05:49 UTC.
Wolf #590116 Thu 29/03/12 08:15 UTC
N
Nicki Jett
Unregistered
Nicki Jett
Unregistered
N
Celi

"You worry too much about words and not about the intended meaning," Celi said thoughtfully. "That seems to me to be a child thing, so maybe I have not misspoken, yes? Besides ... I thought you were younger than me, so I said child gently, with affection. I was just trying to be pleasant, and I did not know you were so concerned with words. I promise not to speak so casually around you in the future.

"What is it you seek because of what was done to your parents in the past? Pity? An apology? I did not know anything about it, and I did not do it, nor did any of my people. I do not have any other people, so you must look elsewhere for an apology. But there must be some reason you told me these things. You are seeking pity? I admit, that tale makes me feel pity for you. Are you seeking to spread around your pain and horror? Tell these tales so that others can share in your suffering?. I suspect there are better ways to make friends, but then ... I do not have many of those, so I could be wrong about that.

Whatever your reason, it is my belief that you are what you have made of yourself, and not what others have made of you. Furthermore, you can only *become* what you make of yourself. At some point in your life, you have to accept accountability. Only you can change your actions or your condition. You should set aside that dark past life, and live your future in the beautiful world we have around us. Just because someone made you look at an evil thing, does not make you either mature, or evil."

#590138 Thu 29/03/12 11:52 UTC
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Bordertown

Out at the Well

"Romanas are Romanas are Romanas.

"If Romanas were what others make of Romanas ...

"Celis would be dead."

There was a flare of tunic skirt and coat hems, as the young woman turned. Quietly, with soft steps she took towards the path that lead back down off the stone rubble.

She didn't look back as she spoke.

"Not even chance to start, Dazidazidazidazi.

"But at leastest ...

"Romanas never lied."

#590143 Thu 29/03/12 12:02 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

He watches the man and his entourage move away and then looks around to see if there is anyone close that he could ask who that was. It would be useful to know, add a context to what they had just learned.

"Be useful to know who that was. Would maybe give important information. Take one maybe two minutes to ask, then I agree, we go to Daxia and the others. Can only suggest they return or add our support if they need it."

He looks for a moment at Darian.

"It might be that it is they who are the disturbance. Perhaps our presence here will stir up something?..."

Gypsy #590174 Thu 29/03/12 12:46 UTC
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Bordertown

At the Closed Gatehouse

"Him?"

A man pushing a cart loaded with pots and pans and other items, bound for the market, looked to the odd trio.

"That's Master Hythainian ... one third of the Town Council."

Wolf #590179 Thu 29/03/12 12:57 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

He nods to the man.

"I'm obliged for your information. Can you tell us anything more about him?"

Cesare's impression of the man they had seen staring out into the distance had suggested more than a politician.

Wolf #590180 Thu 29/03/12 12:57 UTC
Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Kadri looks briefly at Dazi. . and then moves to follow Romanas.

Page 7 of 57 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 56 57

Moderated by  Wolf 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Talon475, Randal Trimmer, Kimf, Yvon, TennesseeBaron
177 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Member Spotlight
Art in the Blood
Art in the Blood
Duluth, Georgia, United States
Forum Statistics
Forums103
Topics2,871
Posts141,672
Members177
Most Online296
Jan 19th, 2020
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
†Restricted forums can only be accessed by DreamLyrics members of the age of 18 years or older. Access which is granted by the Behind Closed Doors Procedure.
™DreamLyrics Play-by-Post. DreamLyrics Play-by-Post does not own copyright on DreamLyrics texts or graphics, except trademarked DreamLyrics logos and logotypes. The works contained in DreamLyrics are copyrighted (automatically, under the Berne Convention) by the original authors and may be available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence. (See Copyrights for details.)
Privacy Policy