Eye of the Dragon
DreamLyrics Play-by-Post
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 29 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Dice Roller
You will need to enable Javascript in order to view the Dice Roller.
Games Recruiting List

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 14 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
N
Nicki Jett
Unregistered
Nicki Jett
Unregistered
N
Celi ambled into camp atop Talia, Mikal's horse, who seemed perfectly at ease. Celi threw a leg over and slid off her back, then stopped to have a cheerful dialogue which involved much nose- and neck-rubbing, some gentle laughter, and a few affectionate head-butts by Talia. Celi led her to some good grass and straw-hobbled her, them bounced back to camp, happy as a clam.

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Mikal

Several hours later, well past full dark, and a good bit into the part of the evening called 'late', Mikal finishes his carvings and offers some words to Jvrill for the brave men who fell here.

Standing and flexing his fingers to get some of the kinks out that he developed working with the crude chisel, he moves over to Daxia. The fire seems finally to be out and her chanting had stopped just a minute or two ago. He reaches out a hand to offer her help up, figuring her knees might be a bit tight from kneeling for so long.

(OOC - Kel, you can post our arrival at camp.)

Arssanguinus
Online Shocked
Arssanguinus
Kadri came riding to camp, greeting the watchers ont eh way in, then seeking out Cesare to show him how to care for Lisica.

Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Daxia
with Mikal, Bekkah and Dean in the glade

The flames had finally died; all that was left now were smoldering embers and the large bones that could not be burned. As Daxia prepared to stand, Mikal was there with a helping hand. She smiled her thanks as she got to her feet, more gracefully than she would have without his help. "Ta," she said, brushing the dirt and leaves off her breeches. After flexing her knees a few times, she said quietly, "Fire was not hot enough without lamp oil, but spreading the bones amid the ashes will suffice, I think."

With his assistance, the remains of the pyre were spread out and any embers were fully extinguished before they joined Bekkah and Dean where they waited. She reached out her hand to help her sister up.

"Traditionally, we would now feast and speak our memories of those slain." In the dark, with the moon barely risen, it was difficult to see her shrug. "There are no memories among us except perhaps tales often repeated and rumors overheard." Turning to Mikal, she said with a smile in her voice, "As for a feast, perhaps our companions have saved a bit of dinner for us, da? If you will lead, we will follow. Bekkah, Squire..." She gesture, barely seen, for them to follow Mikal. Gathering Fern's reins, she followed them to the camp.

"Everything is bad except unicorns." -- Phoebe
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

All are welcomed into their temporary camp, informed that there is a small stream and a place to wash a little downstream where there is a flat rock.. and more importantly offered hot food.

He takes his first lesson from Kadri on caring for horses, previous experience with herd animals making him a quick learner.

Learning that Daxia, Mikal, Bekkah and their new recruit will be a while yet, Cesare saves a good portion of the food, adding water so that it doesn't dry out. He covers the pot and places it to one side ready to put back on the fire when they arrive.

Apart from taking it in turns to keep watch, the time passes in easy conversation.

[OOC I know a couple of folk have expressed an interest in conversing with Cesare - and presumably other PCs. We can do those in PM so as not to delay this thread. Happy to take PMs from anyone. smile ]

Bekkah

Not long after arriving at the camp, Bekkah rummaged through her pack and withdrew some items. Herbs it looked like to anyone watching her. She also took out a small bowl and began crushing the herbs, adding in other ingredients. When she was done with that, she then took out some other items and prepared them as well. She spoke to no one while she worked, seemingly quite intent on what she was doing. Finally she stood and walked over to Mikal and then Cesare.

"Show me your wounds." she said in a tone that was clearly not a request. There was an assertiveness to her that they'd not seen yet.

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

He seems amused by her tone but complies willingly enough, raising his top to show the red weal across his stomach and the matching one down his arm.

He is more interested in the herbs she is using though.

"Lowvine? I have some if you need it. What else are you using?"

Bekkah

She is somewhat surprised that he knows if Lowvine.

"It is, plus something else that I learned about in my travels. Helps it get in deeper and not be so easily washed away."

Without asking permission, she began to apply it to the wounds. Her hands were both strong and soft and she didn't seem the slightest bit embarrassed or shy about touching his strong body.

"This will keep it from becoming infected. Keep it dry for the next day if you can."

"And do try not to take any more wounds." she added her tone softening back to her more quiet self. She also added a pretty smile and a wink, knowing full well that he hadn't done it on purpose.

"One more thing. You will drink this." she said all business again, handing him a cup with an ounce of something he probably couldn't identify by smell.

"And yes it tastes awful, but you will drink it all anyways."

[ooc: It wasn't a secret, she'd tell him what it was, I just don't know]

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Mikal

After leaving the glade, he leads the group towards the campsite. As they approach arrow distance, he holds up a hand to stop everyone and calls out, "HELLO. WE ARE COMING IN. YES?"

He pauses for an acknowledgement and then heads into where Cesare and Darian have setup the campsite. He purposefully doesn't use names. An old habit from his scouting days with Cameron's Lights. When scouting and approaching a campsite of known friends, you let them recognize your voice. Names can too easily be overheard by someone spying, and then used for unwanted reasons by those. An enemy could hear the name of someone in the camp and try to trick them by using it.

Once inside, he checks that Talia has been taken care of before doing anything else. He trusts Celi, but Talia is his best friend. He then settles down, finding a reasonably level spot, preferably with grass and not rocks to lie on, and drops his gear, then heads to the dinner pot to see what is left.

He thanks those who made dinner, as no matter what it is it is better than what he'd have made on his own. He sits and eats from a small bowl and is just finishing up when Bekkah arrives and insists on looking at his wound.

"It is fine", he says. removing his armour and his shirt, revealing the chiseled physique of an extremely strong and well muscled young man. There is not an ounce of fat on his body, and his muscles ripple as he moves, although those muscles are lean and sinewy, not the bulk of a weight-lifter.

Shirt removed, Bekkah can see scars that criss-cross his chest, arms, and back. Some are old and faded, tanned over by the sun. Some are more recent, still pink with new flesh. On his left arm, about mid-bicep, is a deep, angry gash. Still deep and dark red with barely healed skin, it clearly had been an extremely deep wound, cutting thru the muscle and likely reaching the bone. It is closed now, the muscles knitted back together, thanks to his own small healing and Bekkah's much greater effort back at the glade, but the seriousness the wound he took can be seen clearly for the first time.

"See", he says to Bekkah, flexing his muscle. "Good as new. Thanks to you, Lady Bekkah."

She of Chaos
She of Chaos
Darian

"Aye, join us," she replies to Mikal's announcement.

As the group passes, she catches both Daxia's and Mikal's attention. With a brief glance down to Longtooth she says, "We watch."

Her attention is returned to the night beyond.

Bekkah

She said nothing when he claimed to be fine. She'd certainly heard that before and didn't turn away, instead patiently waiting for him to strip. Some often simply thought of her as some celibate untouchable lady, but she was as much a woman as any woman. So while she didn't swoon at the sight of the man's excellent physique, she wasn't past being impressed by the man. She could only hope that at some point, some of the people she'd meet would notice that she was still a vibrant, beautiful woman. She had tried to keep herself in good shape. The amount of walking she'd done helped immensely there. Of course she was covered from feet to neck so it was hard to see her form as well as she could see his, but she hoped it wouldn't take her stripping down for someone to ever notice her.

She pointed to the newest gash.

"That hardly looks fine as you claim. Yes it will heal, but there is more than simply repairing the skin and muscle."

She took the pasty material she had brought over with her and began applying it to his muscles. Strong, but soft hands ran over his skin, rubbing in the salve. She talked as she worked.

"This will keep it from getting worse and it should lessen the look of the scar. Something you could have used in the past from the look of it." she said indicating some of the older marks.

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Mikal - with Bekkah

"Again, my thanks Lady."

He shrugs at her latter comment. "I was not so fortunate as to have regular access to an Atteran Priestess. We were quite often in the field for months. Most of the time it was my own meager efforts and a bandage, often not as clean as I'd have liked either. Jvrillian Priests tend not to worry so much about healing wounds as helping to deal them."

Bekkah with Mikal

"Well if you are interested, I can teach you of the herbs I use. They may save your life if you're on your own one day."

She then handed him a cup like she had Cesare.

"You will drink this. And as I told Cesare, it tastes as bad as it smells, but you will drink it anyways. There are times, I take orders from the rest of you, this is one the times you take orders from me." she added with her best smile, softening the words.

N
Nicki Jett
Unregistered
Nicki Jett
Unregistered
N
Celi

Celi was off by herself, watching Mikal interact with Bekkah while trying to look like she wasn't *really* watching him.

That proved harder than she'd imagined, so she made herself look around the campsite, anywhere but at Mikal, and had a thought about ... Cesare?

Why did that image pop up? Well ... he *had* wanted to talk to her, once upon a time, but circumstances had conspired to make that impossible. At least he wouldn't threaten her with treason or blasphemy or some kind of social abuse of the language. And he was pleasant enough to look on.

Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Daxia
with the Gang at the camp

Daxia walked beside Fern as she followed the others into the camp. Nodding to those already gathered, she led Fern over to the other horses where she spent time silently caring for the mare, occasionally looking over with a smile at Bekkah fussing over Cesare and Mikal. After the usual brushing and feeding, Daxia spent a few moments quietly talking unintelligibly to the horse.

After moving her gear closer to the fire, and accepting a bowlful of stew from Cesare with thanks, she sat down near one of the newcomers to their group.

"So, Romana not marry, Romana not be breakfast for demon," she said after a few spoonfuls of the stew. "What might Romana like to do now?" After another spoonful of food, she said, "Oh! So sorry, very rude." She pointed to herself. "Daxia. Long name Daxia Yurisdotter, short-short name Dazi." She tilted her head, looking at the girl. "Rhomanishkah'al'lhahrhonsha'al' khylyrishkatsarinish..." She said the name rather slowly, as thought, perhaps, trying to ensure all the proper syllables were in the proper order. "...very pretty name. Romana easier to say for us, yes?"

Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
After Dusk on the Brementown Road
Hasday, The Twelfth Day of the Month of Crown of Ice, 2623

Daxia, Mikal, Darian, Cesare, Bekkah, Celi, Kadri, Dean, Camelia and Romana

Eventually, the soft glow that tinged the air over the glade faded, went out and all was still. Warriors whose spirits were never lain to rest before had been tended too, either drifting upon the wind or sleeping upon the spoils of their sacrifice. One by one ... two by two ... horse and rider ... the little caravan regrouped upon its own little hill. To the east the nearby Forest of Roth rose to the sky, the canopy of trees an even blacker than black shadow against the velvet skyline. It towered; or more appropriately, it lurked. It did, however, provide the deadwood for the small campfire; a gentle warm glow gifting both light and the warmth to banish the cold breath from beneath the Crown of Ice. Loongtooth circled thrice before sprawling down at its edge. The snarkhound stretched and sets his nose upon his paws. There he relaxed; the only time he stirred was when a bow was drawn and an arrow knocked. Then his head just lifted, shook once and returned to his rest. It was twilight and even if there was anyone else out upon the fields they would be doing exactly what was being done here; making camp; not here but wherever they were. Truth, however, there was a second time the snarkhound shifted; his eyes closed tight and he drew his forepaws over his ears upon Mikal's very loud pronouncement. It was almost a wince, as the greeting echoed over the winter grasslands, the cold dry air carrying the words clear and sharp and for quite a distance.

As the stew was cooked, coney and herbs, thickened and spiced, the night slowly grew deeper. The stars, one by one peeked out to scatter across the zenith, except for the long swath of the Dark Path which arched over the nearby woods. When the stew finally simmered, the two moons were peeking over the top of the abandoned Black Mountains, their silvery light allowing the darkness to be crisscrossed with a moire of shadows. The food provided good welcome, as their Priestess made her rounds, ensuring the afternoon's wounds were not simply tended too but tended to well and sure, to knit back together properly instead of just good enough.

The quiet one was Camelia, a bit unsure, as if being on this road again, out beneath the stars was the last place she could feel ever comfortable again.

At least it wasn't raining.

Their other ward, however, moved a bit more lightly. She claimed a spot on the fire with a whumf of saddlebags; heavy leather, ruggedly made, and not too empty. They became her backrest as she flounced upon the ground and drew her oversized cloak about her like it was armor. From somewhere in the pack a bowl was found - a small ceramic thing glazed in white with blue tracery and a spoon made from bone. very naturally she waited, and as if she - of course - belonged, took her share of the evening meal.

"Deliciousness-i-ness!"

Was her reply after a spoonful.

"Pancakes!"

In the soft illumination her furred hood still cast shadows over her features; but at rest and with a bit of peering some facts could be ascertained. She was definitely tall, slight of frame, with a complexion fair; almost porcelain. A small nose poked out from the protective fur and there was a hint of jewelry; an almost chaotic chose of pendants and the hint of earrings - one glowing ruby red, the other a gentle sapphire in the shifting firelight. Hooped bangles wrapped both wrists, the playful bracelets sometimes jingle-jangling like fey bells when she moved.

"Dazidazidazi'al'khasten'daylna'khorran ..." Romana whispers back to Daxia, her head ducking - perhaps still a bit worried, still a bit unsure.

"So shorts ... names ... names supposed to tell who you are, how you are to people, how you are to world... not just taglet to make one thing not like others. Might well take charcoal and write numbers on forehead,one ... two ... three ... eleventy five."

She paused then, a catch of breath.

"Not matter. Silly Romanas.

"Romanas are Romanas are Romanas, now, here, that best."

Arssanguinus
Online Shocked
Arssanguinus
Kadri looks over at Romanas, and talks quietly.

"I have no need of a longer name than Kadri. I am what I do, and my name doesn't make that happen. I am what makes me different from others. And I will not be bound by what a longer name would imply."

Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Daxia

Daxia smiled slightly at Romana's speech, then tilted her head at Kadri when she replied. After a few heartbeats she said, "Short name makes Kadri happy, long names make Romana happy." She turned back to Romana. "Kadri is Kadri is Kadri. Short name for Kadri is same as long name for Romana." She shrugged. "We learn about who people are, how they are with other people, how they are to the world by... talking to them, being around them, watching them, yah? Very different from your home, not knowing who people are just by name.

"But what does al'khasten'daylna'khorran mean? Romana seems to already know who Daxia is, how Daxia is with other people, how Daxia is to world if Romana give Daxia such a long name, hmmm?"

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

He accepts Bekkah's ministration with good grace and downs his medicine in one, his other hand pinching his nose. He follows that up with first a deep swallow from his water skin and then with thanks to the healer.

He starts to gather the pots and other bowls that have been used for the meal, feeling as if he is under scutiny. Looking around he catches Celi looking in his direction. He feels she has had a hard job fitting in. Knowing Darian is on guard, he asks Celi directly.

"Want to give me a hand with these?"

His people are used to keeping things clean and tidy, comes of constant travel and the constant need to be ready to move quickly if the world's currents suddenly change direction. Besides, better to be doing something, keeps you warm and busy.

N
Nicki Jett
Unregistered
Nicki Jett
Unregistered
N

Celi

Celi started at the sound of Cesare 's voice. She had been trying to be surreptitious, interspercing her study of Cesare with an occasional mental check-in with Stormrunner.

"Wha ... oh yes, of course." She normally caught and prepared her own, but they had been happy to add her game to the pot and someone was a wonderful camp cook. Different than Celi's, that was for certain. She liked her own seasonings, but a little variety wouldn't hurt...

Celi rose gracefully to her feet and dusted herself off, then jumped right in, collecting cookware, tin plates, and any road bread that was salvagable. "Reminds me I need to refill my water and see about ... "

She waved her hand in quick dismissal

Last edited by Nicki Jett; Sat 03/03/12 23:50 UTC.
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Mikal - with Bekkah

"Yes, Lady", he replies, taking the cup and drinking it straight down without batting an eye. He hands the cup back. "It has never tasted better than fermented horse p..", he stops, blushing. "Sorry. I meant to say that your variation tastes better than most, and I would truly enjoy learning how to make such concoctions for myself."

Bekkah with Mikal

She smiled knowing what he was going to say.

"We'll have much time as we travel. I'd be delighted to teach you what I know. I think more people who travel away from towns should learn such things."

Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
After Dusk on the Brementown Road
Hasday, The Twelfth Day of the Month of Crown of Ice, 2623

Daxia, Mikal, Darian, Cesare, Bekkah, Celi, Kadri, Dean, Camelia and Romana

The dark haired lass blinked. She blinked and swallowed and peeked back to Daxia from beneath the shelter of her furred hood.

"Well ..."

She continued slowly, fingers tracing a pattern through the stiff brown grass.

" ... al' ... al means Dazidazidazis must be looked up to."

Her brow scrunched and she gnawed upon her lower lip.

"Means able to make persons dead. Caste, Blood, Strength, doesn't matter, has power to make you dead.

"So Dazidazidazis are Slayer Children of Stars, of Her Ladyships Dayala, the ..."

Romana choked back her words, continuing then at a quiet whisper.

" ... well, something not very nice."

Her head turned, looking this way and that, until she caught Kadri in her gaze.

"Oh! Have saying about short names!"

She looked as if to speak again before swiftly covering her mouth with both hands.

" ... but can only says in whispers!"

She squeaked.

Arssanguinus
Online Shocked
Arssanguinus
Kadri pauses again, and looks over at Romanas.

". . very well."

She leans in.

"Whisper."

Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Daxia

Daxia's eyebrows rose quite a ways as Romana defined the name she'd devised for her.

"Dazi think ask Romana change name. Dazi not like... not nice name." She frowned sadly. "Dazi Sister of Stars. Dazi Daughter of Dayala." She scuffed her foot on the ground, watching the marks her boot made. "Suppose Eastern people think Dayalans bad like Dayalans think Eastern people bad. But Dayalans only protect when Eastern people come, never go to Eastern people." She shook her head. "Never, never go there. Never know why Eastern people come here." Daxia looked back up at Romana. "Only protect. Dazi only protect! Dazi protect friends, Romana from demon! Dazi only follow Eastern people when Romana ride past, look very scared. Dayala say protect Romana!"

She looked back down again, at the toes of her boots. "Maybe Romana know Dazi better, Romana give Dazi nice name, yah? Maybe. Dazi be Protector Sister of Stars, of Lady Dayala. No not nice name, maybe."

She picked a long blade of the grass and turned it 'round and 'round between her fingers.

"Someday. Maybe."

Page 10 of 14 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Moderated by  Wolf 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Talon475, Randal Trimmer, Kimf, Yvon, TennesseeBaron
177 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Member Spotlight
Lionhawke
Lionhawke
Seattle, WA, USA
Forum Statistics
Forums103
Topics2,855
Posts141,422
Members177
Most Online296
Jan 19th, 2020
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
†Restricted forums can only be accessed by DreamLyrics members of the age of 18 years or older. Access which is granted by the Behind Closed Doors Procedure.
™DreamLyrics Play-by-Post. DreamLyrics Play-by-Post does not own copyright on DreamLyrics texts or graphics, except trademarked DreamLyrics logos and logotypes. The works contained in DreamLyrics are copyrighted (automatically, under the Berne Convention) by the original authors and may be available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence. (See Copyrights for details.)
Privacy Policy