Eye of the Dragon
DreamLyrics Play-by-Post
Who's Online Now
3 members (Miales, AquaDyne, Vryx), 25 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Dice Roller
You will need to enable Javascript in order to view the Dice Roller.
Games Recruiting List

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 16 of 35 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 34 35
KenSeg #569933 Fri 25/11/11 01:26 UTC
Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Daxia
with the rest of the Gang

It was the Hordesman who provided Daxia with the information she wanted... guilt by association. The rest of his information about the Dark Mark elicited a raised eyebrow and a speculative look. She watched and listened to Camelia, eyes hooded and without reaction. At her question, Daxia simply blinked slowly... the only answer Camelia was going get.

As each member of the group added their thoughts, their questions, their ideas, Daxia patiently watched and listened, showing little emotion... though Mikal's comment caused a thoughtful, though barely perceptible, nod... while at the squire's words, a tensing of her jaw could be seen.

Daxia turned her head to address Kadri. "Yah. I ride with you," was all she said.

"Everything is bad except unicorns." -- Phoebe
Kel #569936 Fri 25/11/11 01:42 UTC
Camelia

The 19 year old girl saw that she was going to be ignored. The red-headed woman castigated her for not be open about herself and then, when she did speak, and against her own sense of judgment, the red headed woman brushed her off as though she had no use for her.

Camelia rolled her eyes with a small shake of her head. Best to leave the 'grownups' to their strategies and plots. Children to the small table... sure.

"That's fine," she said, mostly to herself. it was also the first time she clipped her words and used a conjunction.

"Whatever."

And she turned and walked away, pausing only long enough to address the Squire. "Thank you. I know I have been saying that a lot, but I do mean it."

Camelia retreated to the background of the discussion, and to a part of the room where they were not. Food, maybe, something to drink as well.

N
Nicki Jett
Unregistered
Nicki Jett
Unregistered
N
Celi

Celi lowered her hand, now more confused than ever. She looked to MIkal and then Darian, and got a friendly wink but no clarification. She now was convinced she was watching a verbal joust between Camilia and Daxia, while the rest of their little ad hoc group was only there to be acknowledged or ignored at the pleasure of one or the other of the two verbal duelers.

Even Kadri -- who had apparently "confiscated" the key from the girl's father at some point close on the time of his death -- was trying to claim that keeping it was "in the girl's best interests."

She leaned closer to Mikal and in a low voice said, "Why do we not give the girl her key back, and then offer her such protection as we can until she no longer requires it? Accompany her out of town, say?

"I do not know about these things, I admit. Whny are Camillia and Daxia arguing? I can not follow their philosophic arguments. They make my ears thrum and my brain grow turgid."

#569992 Fri 25/11/11 18:00 UTC
Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Daxia

Ignoring Camelia's display, ignoring the rest of the group for the moment as well, Daxia's eyes narrowed as her gaze moved slowly between Cesare and Kadri. Head tilted to one side, she had a thoughtful and wary look on her face. "Cesare, you see where man go. He go in home, business, inn? Maybe you see sign?" Flicking her eyes to Kadri, she said, "Where you leave girl?" Her tone was curious, yes, but somewhat suspicious, too.

Kel #569996 Fri 25/11/11 18:07 UTC
Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Kadri:

She motions to Conrad.

"I believe she said she had a room at the Punched Penny, she said?"

Last edited by Art in the Blood; Fri 25/11/11 18:07 UTC.
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Mikal

At Camelia's comments he purses his lips consideringly. *More plots, but are they different plots or the same?* He is about to ask her if she believes her situation ties into this somehow, when she gets up and walks off, clearly annoyed.

He then turns towards Celi and listens to her questions. Pausing a moment to consider his answer, he replies carefully. "First, we really do not know the key belongs to the girl. As much as many of us distrust merchants, the man from the merchant guild claimed the girl's father stole the key from him. He actually said two of his apprentices were killed in the theft. So if he hired men to get it back for him, and we interrupted that last night in the alley, it is possible he was justified. So, at this point, while I lean towards believing the girl, just from past association with merchant guilds, we really do need more proof before we simply turn it over to anyone."

He really is tempted to just give somebody the key, really anybody, and get himself out of the middle of this mess, but he doesn't like some of the tactics being used, and if the girl is telling the truth then he was lied to. In the damn Guildhouse he was offered money in a lie! He suspects the reason Eli did not stick around to Seal the Contract with him is because he had no intention of paying. Otherwise there was no reason not to. And the merchant knows enough about New Jvrillians to know once he'd Sealed Mikal to a Contract he'd have been obliged to follow thru. So no reason not to, unless he planned to cheat Mikal of his payment. Which triggers a thought as he recalls a comment Kadri made earlier. But first....

"As for Camelia and Daxia, it is complicated", he continues to Celi. "I do not know them well enough to speak with any confidence about their particular motives, but I can speak in general. Daxia has spoken about belonging to a military group called 'Dayalan'. Seems like they are tasked to protect those who are defenseless as their prime mission. Yet she seems to have been steeped in learning of intrigue as well. Camelia comes from the Imperial Court. Intrigue flows there like water. She has also just been thru an ordeal, and feels like she is protecting someone else. She doesn't trust anyone right now and wants to build bonds with us to better ensure she can trust us. For some reason they are like oil and water. Could be the simple fact that those who see plots at every turn can never believe anyone is speaking the truth. I can't figure it out just yet, but it will come to me."

He then turns to the group and asks, "I do have two questions. First", he glances at Camelia as she walks off, "does anyone suspect the plots against Dama Camelia and her friend Kristine are linked to this somehow? Just wondering if that adds any new wrinkles to it."

"Second, I believe, Kadri, you said that the man who spoke to you in the stables said to not give the key to anyone else? Do you feel he simply meant the girl, or do you think he meant anyone, like us for example? I ask because if he meant to not give it to us, that statement leads us to a different conclusion than we've had so far."

"If all of these encounters have been men working for the same group, then why would any of them care about which of us returned the key to their masters? Sure, perhaps there was a reward in it for whoever brought it back, but it sounded to me, from Kadri's telling, more like there could be multiple factions in play. Multiple masters. That was why I suggested seeing if we could get them together."

N
Nicki Jett
Unregistered
Nicki Jett
Unregistered
N
Celi

Now they become confused, Celi thought. "The Punched Penny" was the location at which Celi had been instructed to seek out the dark man known as Davy Lay-ey, if she planned to redeem the key for the promise of thousand gold crowns.

Should she speak up, and thereby correct someone? Or would that just make them angry? She did not feel comfortable in her ignorance of conversational graces. They did not appear interested in Celi's counsel, that much was clear, and seemed to hold her opinions in no regard. She relaxed considerably after Mikal explained some of the background behind Daxia and Camilia. SHe could see how being raised in such an environment would affect how you perceived and related to others.

It also made her consider her own upbringing. How had she been colored by Grandmother and her various insistences? She decided she should think carefully before speaking up about anything, lest she weigh down her responses with her own philosophies. She caught MIkal's eye, mouthed a silent 'thank you', and then composed herself. Perhaps they would all take heed, and she would then feel better about things.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Nicki Jett; Fri 25/11/11 19:59 UTC. Reason: CROSS_POSTED with Zeim
#570024 Fri 25/11/11 21:33 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

He raises an eyebrow as Cami moves away. Maybe her tale did not get the reaction she had hoped. Too self-centered? Her tale would suggest otherwise. But time is important now, time to deal with the issue at hand. There would be time to deal with other things later. He hopes anyway. He is mostly an optimist.

So instead he answers the two things he feels he can contribute something directly. First Mikal.

"Unlikely to be connected. Have to stretch too many coincidences to extremes to place the two together. And we already have enough to deal with and time is always short."

He turns to Daxia, always a smile for the pretty girl.

"Not to his destination no. Didn't think it prudent to follow, showed too much interest and I didn't know how widespead all of this was then. But I do know the direction he went and he suggested he was well know in the markets."

#570026 Fri 25/11/11 21:37 UTC
Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Kadri

(Responding here because at work until ten)

"Oh, I think he very emphatically meant anyone else."

She looks at Ceil.

"I appreciate your sentiment, but as he said - first, we aren't completely sure its hers, and second. . . Handing it over to her might expose her to threats that, while I hold, are directed at me. Ihad been considering announcing I had it. . . and makking myself the bait."

Last edited by Art in the Blood; Fri 25/11/11 21:43 UTC.
Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Daxia

Daxia nodded thoughtfully at Cesare, then turned to Mikal and chuckled. "Half right. World only see Dayalan warriors now; not see priestesses, lay members outside Vale. And for man who not like intrigue, why you look for more? Think Cesare right; enough intrigue here." She looked at Camelia on the other side of the room then back at Mikal with a smile. "Oil and water? Nah. Just dancing, getting to know each other. We work it out. Probably."

Then she looked at the squire once again. "Your job to protect. Mine, too. My oath only say protect defenseless and weak, though. Thinking maybe girl involved in intrigue... like others who speak to rest of us. Katshka say Punched Penny owned by Merchants Guild; coincidence very hard to ignore. Girl sent maybe to trick you, like Cesare say before. Is good way to fool squire of Rames, yes? Very good way. If she part of plan to turn key over one of bullies, that make her defended by Merchants; I not concerned about her protection then. I not know what Rames require of you, though."

Her gaze swept the room again. "Cesare ask, Mikal ask, I ask now... why everyone so interested in key? Many people with many stories of how key come to be lost to them. Many different factions, yes? Hand of merchant guild, maybe thieves guild, everywhere. We not know rightful owner.

"Verchovai Dandelion's Jvrillian right... talk, talk, talk, talk get us nowhere. We act. Biggest question... what worth so much money and life of man? Key is to warehouse Kadri say." She looked at the small woman, studying her for a moment. "Better idea than bait, ok?" Daxia again looked at those around the table. "Think Kadri know what she talking about. We go, we find warehouse, we see what so important for man to die. We go now, yes?"

She fixed her gaze on Conrad again with a smile that held the tiniest bit of mischievousness. "Will you please accompany us on our quest, Squire Conrad?"

Kel #570056 Sat 26/11/11 01:14 UTC
Camelia

Camelia had stared at the bits and pieces, mostly crumbs and leftovers from the morning's breakfast offering. She settled for a crumbly biscuit and two slices of an harvest apple, and with her prizes the young woman retreated to a nearby table to sit and eat.

To her right, the conversation continued in earnest now. Plans to investigate various things. All Camelia saw ahead of her was how she should probably clean up the mess she was making of her biscuit on the table. Maybe ask for a job in the common room here or one of the other inns. She could make beds and clean well, and she even knew how to handle linens and mend clothing, including the finest fabrics.

Nothing left to hide... She was a servant and a long way from her home with no way to get back there. Perhaps after the winter she might have a few crown, maybe enough to ride a merchant wagon to Trundle on the Hill. She had watched Ceili trying to seek work, and how humbling that had to have been for her each time she was rejected. Camelia had never had to seek employment before. She had had a job. A secure one at that. But she wasn't in Trundle, and she wasn't with her Lady. For all Camelia knew, Kristine probably had anew Handmaiden. And Cami now needed to find her own way. Just that lowly prospect before her seemed daunting.

She ate her apple slices...

Kel #570063 Sat 26/11/11 01:35 UTC
Babylon 5 Rules
Administrator
Babylon 5 Rules
Administrator
Conrad

"It has never been my intention to give the key to the girl, at least until true ownership can be established and when it would no longer put her in greater danger. The mystery of this key needs to be resolved and I will aid in that endevour, but I must see that the girl and her mother are placed in a safe place. If they have any part in this enigma, I do not know for sure but I am not willing to risk the life of innocents on the chance that they are. So, if you can wait for me to get them to safety, I will aid you in trying to solve the mystery of the key."

KenSeg #570110 Sat 26/11/11 11:03 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

He looks over at the squire.

"Taking two innocents or possible players out of the game is not such a bad play. It would likely be expected. It may be that you might get them talking and find out something more.. if there is more to be had? But even you, not alone. None should be alone today."

He looks up. Looks over at Cami and with a slight sigh gets to his feet and walks a few steps towards her. Directing his next words to her alone.

"None of us alone, includes you. We are all part of this, not all by choice, not from comraderie, not from commitment. We are all part of this because those unknown around us have made us all targets. You can stay apart and some of us will then need to stay with you.. or you can make it easier for everyone and come and join in. You never know, you might like it.."

He grins, and holds out a hand, hoping she is big enough to take it.

Gypsy #570132 Sat 26/11/11 15:51 UTC
Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Daxia

She regarded the squire silently for a moment, then said, "Ok, Squire. You save girl. Rames say you do... you must do. Understand that." She nodded. "Agree with Cesare. Take some with you, yes? We wait, but you hurry. Move quick. And maybe you ask girl questions, like Cesare said. Maybe... did father bring key to Cragside, or given to him while here? Also, they travel alone... or with larger group? If larger group, who is group, ok?" Daxia smiled. "Maybe answers make things more clear, yes? Ta." She repeated her last phrase in Imperial, for clarification. "Thank you."

Various emotions flittered across her face in the space of several heartbeats, but finally she said, "If you want, I make sure Lady Comfrey and Dama Camelia safe while you save girl." She tilted her head, guaging his reaction. "Ok with Rames I do that for you? Know Dayala and Rames not best of friends, but we -- you and me -- can work together, yes?"

Gypsy #570139 Sat 26/11/11 16:10 UTC
Camelia- separate in the Common Room now with Cesare

Cesare's approach was unexpected but not unwelcome. She looked up at him with those brilliantly blue eyes, the kind the picked up light and turned it into a different kind of radiance. With one hand, she pushed her flaxen blond hair back over one ear and reached up to take his hand with the other.

But she didn't rise from the seat. Her hands were soft, but showed the hardships of her recent travels. There had been paint on her nails, worn away. Her fingers lacked the delicatebess that came from a life of manicuring, and showed she was more a servant than a Lady of any Court. Her grip was firm, but without any exertion of strength.

"Sit with me for a moment," she asked. "Please." She finished her overture with a warm smile, but it wasn't the same as what she had shown before.

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Mikal

"I said I'd go with you, Conrad, if it came to it, so I will. But might be good to know what we're walking into before-hand, no? The two of us, even 3 or 4", he adds waving a hand to indicate if others might also come, "will not succeed if she is watched by 20 of the Mark and they choose to deny us."

He turns to Celi. "I think you said the man who approached you said to go to the Punched Penny, did he not? Perhaps you can go now and ask for more instructions. I don't know, maybe say that you think you can get it, but it would have to be late tonight after all are asleep? While there you can look around. See how many armed men are about?"

Zeim #570167 Sat 26/11/11 19:02 UTC
She of Chaos
She of Chaos
Darian

Yes, they were all put into this together and must work together. If she were with her Pack, she would know what to do and how each would do it. But it was just her and Longtooth now. She leaned down and looked under the table at him.

"We track?" she asked him. It was his skill and nose they needed.

He looked up at her and offered what seemed a nod.

She straightened up and looked at those about her. "Me and Longtooth track hurt man. Who can show us last place he be?"

ividia #570170 Sat 26/11/11 19:16 UTC
Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Kadri

She had been about to approach Camellia - but Cesare seemed to have beaten her to it. So instead,she turns.

"So, anyone want to look into warehouses? At least, perhaps, scout the place I was "asked" to leave the key?"

Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Daxia
with the rest of the Gang, except for Camelia and Cesare

"I go with you... if Squire not want me watch Camelia and Comfrey for him." She looked at Conrad questioningly.

Kel #570174 Sat 26/11/11 19:35 UTC
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Mikal

"If you don't think it will come to a fight", he adds to Conrad, "I can go check on The Mark at the Guildhouse and save us some time."

Zeim #570183 Sat 26/11/11 21:15 UTC
Camelia with Cesare and an epiphany

Camelia had no sooner said those words to the young Rhoni man, Had no sooner heard his effort to involve when she remembered something that Dandelion had told her. She had been so arrogant and brusque, so unwilling to hear anything. So defemsive that only now did it make sense to her.

She looked into Cesare's eyes, her own sense of epiphany evident and she smiled, with light and music dancing in her eyes.

"Of course... I'm a Koromov," she whispered. "She said... The Conscience of the Empire."

She stood suddenly, knocking her seat back and it fell over in a clatter. That sound brought her head around to see it lying there and quickly she let Cesare's hand slip from hers and she picked her chair up and returned it to all four legs, and then, still feeling the adrenalin, she leaned in, hands to his broad shoulders, and planted a kiss of Cesare's cheek.

"Thankyou," she said as she slid one hand back to his hand, interlacing his fingers with her own and gripping them tightly for a brief second before relaxing. And already she was leading him back to the group.

Standing at the edge she waited until the last person speaking had finished.

"May I speak," she asked with an eagerness and an excitement.

Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Daxia

Daxia turned to the young Imperial, with a smile and a look that just might be interpreted as... pleased. "Please."

Kel #570187 Sat 26/11/11 21:36 UTC
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Mikal

Having asked Conrad if he thinks he can handle it alone, he turns as Camelia moves back to the group. He looks at her expectantly when she asks to speak, and nods, though he doesn't think it's his place to give permission for someone to talk.

Zeim #570192 Sat 26/11/11 23:11 UTC
N
Nicki Jett
Unregistered
Nicki Jett
Unregistered
N
Celi

"I can do as you wish," Celi told Mikal, "if you let me use my own approach to make it seem ... authentic. First, I would tell him I am aware that at least one other has been offered more than he offered me. Then, I will tell him I believe I can come up with this key, but before I would surrender it, I want to be paid fairly. This would explain why I would come to see him early, and without the key in my possession."

Zeim #570193 Sat 26/11/11 23:13 UTC
Arssanguinus
Arssanguinus
Kadri:

"By all means, please do."

She sounds.. sincere.

Last edited by Art in the Blood; Sat 26/11/11 23:18 UTC.
Page 16 of 35 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 34 35

Moderated by  Wolf 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Talon475, Randal Trimmer, Kimf, Yvon, TennesseeBaron
177 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Member Spotlight
Forum Statistics
Forums103
Topics2,863
Posts141,519
Members177
Most Online296
Jan 19th, 2020
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
†Restricted forums can only be accessed by DreamLyrics members of the age of 18 years or older. Access which is granted by the Behind Closed Doors Procedure.
™DreamLyrics Play-by-Post. DreamLyrics Play-by-Post does not own copyright on DreamLyrics texts or graphics, except trademarked DreamLyrics logos and logotypes. The works contained in DreamLyrics are copyrighted (automatically, under the Berne Convention) by the original authors and may be available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence. (See Copyrights for details.)
Privacy Policy