Eye of the Dragon
DreamLyrics Play-by-Post
Who's Online Now
3 members (Barry Mulvihill, Phoenix Prime, Zeim), 21 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Dice Roller
You will need to enable Javascript in order to view the Dice Roller.
Games Recruiting List

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 12 of 35 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 34 35
Kel #568828 Sat 19/11/11 17:54 UTC
(Buffalo)
Online Busy
(Buffalo)
Mikal - with Darian and Celi

The corner of his mouth twitches upwards at the words of praise. "My mother told them better, though this one was mine. Still, my favorite time was sitting at her knee listening to her spin tales of heroes and battle. I suppose some of it rubbed off."

He glances at Darian. "I recall many of them, and when I am in the mood, and there is some quiet time on the road, I have told some to pass the time, hoping to not embarrass my mother's memory while doing so."

Turning to Celi, he admonishes gently. "Please do not call me Lord. Just Mikal. If we come to know each other better you can call me by my given name. Lord is not only incorrect, it could get me into trouble."

He smiles. "As to Talia, I have had time to think on it. The villagers could not let her be seen so she could not go out to graze on her own, and there was nothing for her to graze on in that cave. The bandits had taken the best of the crop from the village so all they could bring her was stunted grass and the coarse leavings of the field. I suspect she saw me as her best chance at ever getting a good meal again. Though, a horse being able to think ahead like that might be even stranger."

"As for the future", he shrugs. "A post to help weather the winter is a good start. Beyond that I have always let Jvrill provide. I have generally wandered and have taken a number of contracts helping out-of-the-beaten-path villagers and less well-to-do merchants. These people are typically ignored by the Knights and don't have enough coin for the typical mercenary to bother with. But they remind me of my home." He shrugs embarrassed.

"Anyway, my word is my bond, and these people have always been taken advantage of by others who were bigger and stronger. Seems those they can trust are few-and-far-between. It's actually helped me from time-to-time. Seems I've become known a bit in those quarters."

"So", he adds, looking at both. "Now that we're here, what are your plans?"

Last edited by Zeim; Sat 19/11/11 17:57 UTC.
Zeim #568837 Sat 19/11/11 18:18 UTC
She of Chaos
She of Chaos
Darian

She gave Mikal a bit of a smile.

"Your telling reminded me of times past, sitting around the lodge fire with each taking their turn at tales."

"When winter thaws, we will see where we are led. Until then, we will do what is needed to secure shelter."

ividia #568849 Sat 19/11/11 19:54 UTC
N
Nicki Jett
Unregistered
Nicki Jett
Unregistered
N
Celi

Celi shrugged. "MIkal, please forgive me. My tale is not dissimilar, e'en though my talents lie elsewhere. I would like a post that lets me be as close to nature as may be. I am fond of all animals, and have some skills in caring for them, including some minor healing. I was hoping for something in the country, but... I may be forced into town somewhere. Still, I can pitch in where needed; I can defend myself and an employer reasonably well, and I am a quick learner if aught else is needed..."

Last edited by Nicki Jett; Sat 19/11/11 20:00 UTC.
#568859 Sat 19/11/11 22:05 UTC
Babylon 5 Rules
Administrator
Babylon 5 Rules
Administrator
Conrad

He left the ladies upstairs to retire for the evening and returned to the main room to seek out Cameila and make sure that she had a place for the night. Conrad will walk over near her and wait for her to acknowledge him as it would be impolite to interrupt her conversation.

KenSeg #568945 Sun 20/11/11 03:41 UTC
Online Away
Camelia

Given that the conversation had died away, Camelia had no trouble speaking with Conrad.

"I am well, Squire Conrad. It is true I am tired. Too many days piled upon one another. But I thank you for your diligence in checking on me. I was told I would have the Cap... My sister's room for this night. I hope that both you and Lady... err, Comfrey have rooms as well?"

Babylon 5 Rules
Administrator
Babylon 5 Rules
Administrator
Conrad

"Yes, thank you. Comfrey is staying with one of the other ladies we traveled with. I obtained another room for either your or my use. Are you sure that you have safe lodgings?"

KenSeg #568950 Sun 20/11/11 04:04 UTC
Online Away
Camelia

"I do," Camelia replied with a warm but weary smile. "We will talk more tomorrow as I promised."

Babylon 5 Rules
Administrator
Babylon 5 Rules
Administrator
Conrad

"Then I bid you a good night and will see you in the morning to break our fast. We can speak more then about how best to help you." he said, bowing slightly to her and preparing to leave to find his room for sleep.

KenSeg #568991 Sun 20/11/11 17:24 UTC
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Between Dusk and Dawn, the Town of Cragside
Marketday The Twenty-Fourth Day of the Month of Raven, 2623

Everybody

"I suspect growing up in the Palace taught you things I might never know ..."

Eyes opened, just to soft slits, as the Captain replied to Camelia. Then they closed again.

" ... if one couldn't sleep light, the Alley tended to eat you.

In the Imperial City, most, when given a choice between entering the Alley or facing the brutal Veilikii Imperial Guard, chose the Guard.

A very different set of survival skills were needed, there.

Resting, Camelia's sister listened as the conversations waned and drew to a close. Eventually, the commons was quiet, save for the crackling of wood in the hearths. Sleep came, and for the first time in the longest while, it was a good rest, a warm one, safe.

The clouds cleared and the stars watched over the mountainside town.

Wolf #568992 Sun 20/11/11 17:25 UTC
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Morning, the Town of Cragside
Restday The Last Day of the Month of Raven, 2623

Everybody

Morning came early to some, later to others. The commons, of course, stirred first, be it from one's own early tasks or being woken by the innkeeper's family as the started their morning chores. Straightening the commons, setting buckets of water upon the hearthstones to warm, Missus Jake examining the twin stewpots and adding the morning vegetables and what little meat they had left.

For the travelers, the hospitality claimed by Camelia the night before seemed to be holding. Breakfast awaited, of fresh bread - though that was a competitive sharing with the Horde's early woken - chopped fruit and bits of cheese. Those with a bit more patience would find some big frying pans set out, simmering with chopped potatoes and vegetables grilled.

That and a couple mercenaries chased from the kitchen by a rolling pinned wielding goodwife.

But even that was done with smiles on all involved. Before long the commons was full again and bustling. On a smaller scale it would have been breakfast in a farmer's homestead; boarding house reaches, sharp teasing from the awake to those still mostly asleep, tidbits passed down the length of a table, sighs of contentment upon a delicious muffin and a roll call of things to be done from supplies to be lain in, gear tended and repaired, and that the sunny day should allow for some sparring and someone should go and hire out the pell up at the Guildhouse.

The only difference being that this family was larger than most.

Captain Koromov was not to be seen; perhaps, like her temple-sister Daxia, her day started a little bit earlier.

<continued in private threads>

Wolf #569051 Sun 20/11/11 23:15 UTC
Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Daxia

She turned back towards the Inn, and strode purposefully down the street in the early morning light. It was not a very far walk, and was far quieter than the walk to the town center had been.

When she re-entered the Inn, she scanned the common room, looking for Kadri... and Camelia. Not seeing either of them, she took off her cloak and found an empty seat where she could wait, and watch... and have some breakfast.

"Everything is bad except unicorns." -- Phoebe
Kel #569075 Mon 21/11/11 00:59 UTC
(Buffalo)
Online Busy
(Buffalo)
Mikal

Mikal walks down the street easily, whistling a light tune. He stops at a vendor and buys two apples, then turns back to the inn. Eating one as he walks, when he reaches the inn he goes first to the stables and gives the other to Talia. Patting the mare on the shoulder he then goes inside the common room of the inn.

As he enters he scans the common room. He sees Daxia, but his gaze passes over her. After a moment, seemingly not finding what, or who, he was looking for, it returns to her, and seeing few others about he heads to where she sits.

"Might I join you this fine morning, Mistress Daxia?" He asks.

Zeim #569101 Mon 21/11/11 02:27 UTC
Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Daxia
in Commons with Mikal

"Just Daxia," she said with a smile, gesturing to an empty spot at the table. She finished buttering her bread. "Always fine morning when clouds not hide Her light from us, yes?"

Kel #569161 Mon 21/11/11 15:09 UTC
(Buffalo)
Online Busy
(Buffalo)
Mikal

"Yes, um, ....Daxia", he agrees cheerfully.

He has already eaten, so he simply orders a glass of Kavass, hot.

"Pardon my curiosity", he replies. "But I noted that you seemed fairly close with the two Koromov Dama last night. Must be a story there, I suspect?"

Last edited by Zeim; Mon 21/11/11 15:40 UTC.
Zeim #569174 Mon 21/11/11 15:40 UTC
Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Daxia
in Commons with Mikal

She'd nabbed the last couple of fried potatoes from her dish, and shook her head while she finished chewing and swallowing. "Just met last night. But Ver... mmmm... Captain Koromov Temple-sister." Daxia looked at him with a glint of amusement in her eyes. "We Dayalans." She sipped her cider. "They have very complicated family," she said with another shake of her head. "You part of group helping Camelia, yes? She spoke well of group."

Kel #569181 Mon 21/11/11 15:53 UTC
(Buffalo)
Online Busy
(Buffalo)
Mikal i with Daxia

"Yes." He nods. "Though Lady Comfrey did most of the needed helping." He says, not wanting to take undue credit for the little he might have done. "Dama Camelia didn't speak much about how she came to be near starved and looking like a drowned slink when she appeared at the inn, but it seemed some hot food and a good fire did most of the work. Rest of it was simply riding together to make sure none bothered her."

He glances to the inn door, checking to see if anyone has returned. "O' course Squire Conrad naturally took it upon himself to be her guardian as well. And none of us knew who she was then." He pauses in thought. "Least I think none knew. Can't be certain."

"I noted you and your group join us on the road, but the weather 'dampened' conversation as well as clothes. Tell me of this 'Dayalan'. Don't think I've heard of it."

Last edited by Zeim; Mon 21/11/11 15:55 UTC.
Zeim #569221 Mon 21/11/11 18:18 UTC
She of Chaos
She of Chaos
Darian

She mused over the happenings as she made the walk back to the inn, Longtooth padding at her side. She wondered who she might be able to discuss this with having no experience with city things. Perchance, just perhaps, maybe...

Darian pulled the door open and let Longtooth precede her. She called for mulled cider and let the warmth of the drink and the fire take away the bite of the chill.

As she sipped she turned and looked about the commons, spotted Mikal and Daxia. Venturing over, she asked, "Might we?"

ividia #569222 Mon 21/11/11 18:34 UTC
Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Daxia
in Commons with Mikal

"Camelia's story hers to tell, of course," Daxia said. It looked as if she might want to say more on the subject, but let out a soft sigh instead. She leaned back in her chair, lacing her fingers together, and gave him a measured look. "Dayala." A shadow of... sadness, perhaps?... pass over her features for a moment. She noticed Darian and Longtooth enter the Inn, and when they came over to the table, Daxia nodded. "Yah, join. Welcome. Just telling Mikal about Dayala."

Kel #569224 Mon 21/11/11 18:44 UTC
(Buffalo)
Online Busy
(Buffalo)
Mikal - With Daxia and Darian

He nods to the comment about Camelia. "Certainly."

He notes Darian as soon as she enters, as he's been keeping one eye on the door. He smiles at her and gestures to an empty seat as Daxia agrees that they should sit.

"Get your pelts sold?" He asks.

Zeim #569228 Mon 21/11/11 18:49 UTC
She of Chaos
She of Chaos
Darian

"Thank ye," she said as she took a seat, Longtooth once again stretching out by her feet.

"No, but a offer a sorts," she answers with a puzzled look. "Odd, particular to city folk mayhaps. Did exchange feathers I no need for coin."

ividia #569229 Mon 21/11/11 19:05 UTC
Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Daxia
in Commons with Mikal, Darian and Longtooth

"What kind offer?" Daxia asked. "Vale has towns for trading; maybe can say if particular to all towns, or just Cragside, yes?"

Kel #569230 Mon 21/11/11 19:23 UTC
She of Chaos
She of Chaos
Darian
in Commons with Mikal, Daxia and Longtooth

"When talk with furrier, man of much wealth came up, offered many thousands of crowns for furs if I find stolen key for him. Did not wait for answer only said if key found only give to him or someone hurt."

"Furrier scared of man, act like frightened cony. He say man is much powerful in Cragside."

Darian shrugged.

"I find very odd. He think I fetch for him. I hunt, yes, but not things without life."

ividia #569231 Mon 21/11/11 19:59 UTC
(Buffalo)
Online Busy
(Buffalo)
Mikal - with Darian and Daxia

His head turns quickly towards Darian at her comment, the smile he's worn since returning to the inn slipping from his face. He looks intently at her.

"Did this man wear fancy clothes? A bit overfed? About yea high?" He holds his hand parallel to the floor.

Last edited by Zeim; Mon 21/11/11 20:01 UTC.
Zeim #569232 Mon 21/11/11 20:10 UTC
She of Chaos
She of Chaos
Darian

"Fancy, aye," she said with a nod then shook her head, "but very overfed, much around the middle not so much in height."

ividia #569234 Mon 21/11/11 20:21 UTC
Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Daxia
in Commons with Mikal, Darian and Longtooth

Daxia glanced between the two of the, the look on her face... almost angry. "No. Not normal." She shook her head. "Not right." She paused a heartbeat, then two. "I have... odd encounter, too. Two men, bundled tight so can't see faces but not in fancy cloaks, say if want girl to live, get key for them." She narrowed her eyes. "Not sure who they mean, but no one hurt any girl when Dayalan around.

"Do not like this."

Page 12 of 35 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 34 35

Moderated by  Wolf 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Talon475, Randal Trimmer, Kimf, Yvon, TennesseeBaron
177 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Member Spotlight
LaBerge
LaBerge
Christchurch, New Zealand
Forum Statistics
Forums103
Topics2,863
Posts141,538
Members177
Most Online296
Jan 19th, 2020
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
†Restricted forums can only be accessed by DreamLyrics members of the age of 18 years or older. Access which is granted by the Behind Closed Doors Procedure.
™DreamLyrics Play-by-Post. DreamLyrics Play-by-Post does not own copyright on DreamLyrics texts or graphics, except trademarked DreamLyrics logos and logotypes. The works contained in DreamLyrics are copyrighted (automatically, under the Berne Convention) by the original authors and may be available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence. (See Copyrights for details.)
Privacy Policy