Eye of the Dragon
DreamLyrics Play-by-Post
Who's Online Now
3 members (Gypsy, Asta, LaBerge), 67 guests, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Dice Roller
You will need to enable Javascript in order to view the Dice Roller.
Games Recruiting List

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1043626 Thu 06/04/23 17:01 UTC
OP Offline
TTAP

Tomorrowland Transit Authority Peoplemover

Despite being dated and very sedate, this attraction at Disney World in Florida is one of my favorites. I enjoy the nostalgia of it. It's a piece of Disney history and it allows me to slow down and relax a bit so I can enjoy the moment and the blessings in my life that allow me to go to Disney World and Disneyland as often as I do.

The history of this ride is an interesting one to me. In truth, the concept wasn't meant to be a 'ride' at all. Walt Disney was a visionary and an innovator at heart. He was always looking to improve things that made life more convenient and efficient. Los Angeles traffic was a growing problem in the 60s. (It has only gotten worse since then). Walt was already 'imagining' what a 'city of the Future' might look like and he had an idea for a mass transit system that would always be running and people could board it to get to and from the city to the various residential areas of his dream city.

In order to promote the concept he submitted it for display at the World's Fair in New York in 1964. In order to get such a large undertaking built and ready in short order, Disney sought out help from Ford Motor Company. They built the massive 'ride' with actual cars on the track to demonstrate how a coordinated transportation system could alleviate traffic and frustrations and accidents.

Walt's dream of an Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow (EPCOT- and no this isn't your ACRO) was in full swing and he had been promoting on the Wonderful World of Disney as part of the Florida project- which would become Walt Disney World.

Ultimately the Peoplemover design was retooled for use in the Disneyland Park as a ride through Tomorrowland. It was operational in 1967, after Walt Disney's death (12/5/1966). One was built for WDW in 1975. But, EPCOT never achieved the vision that Walt had hoped for...

Submit your offerings to me in email or PM by Sunday 4/10/23. I will make the final check Monday morning and move us to the voting phase then.

M
Teddy Bear Protector
Teddy Bear Protector
M
What an absolutely wonderful and enthralling tale you've told us. An icon from history, to be sure. Thank you for this! And while I can be verbose at times, I am not going to wax as grandiloquent as you did. Transmitted Totally Appropriate Phrase.

MousieHuggz !!! (tm)
--Mackey
M
Teddy Bear Protector
Teddy Bear Protector
M
BTW, I can remember the day after the news broke of Walt's death. The Chicago Tribune had one of their political artists draw a front page panel. It showed Mickey holding a worn photo of Walt. Mickey had a huge tear falling from his eye. The caption read, simply, "Mickey's Daddy Is Dead." I was on my paternal grandparents couch when I saw it on the newshead where the top story of the day would normally be. I remember being very sad for Mickey that day.

MousieHuggz !!! (tm)
--Mackey
Maris Imperium
Maris Imperium
I love that attraction! It truly is one of my favorites, 'cause it feels like you're going behind the scenes into a few other attractions (Space Mountain, Buzz Lightyear). When my family wants to ride Space Mountain, I just hop on it and go around in circles. If the line is short they sometimes let me even stay in the car. grin

Typed TTAP Acro & PM'd.

Administrator
Administrator
PM sent.

Coordinator of Chaos
Coordinator of Chaos
TTAP sent..

Sad story Mackey. Unfortunately for me this is the one I can't unforget for Mickey...

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Wizop
Administrator
Online Content
Wizop
Administrator
Transferred Terrific ACRO Promptly

PM sent

[Linked Image from people.delphiforums.com]

Semper ubi, sub ubi

W
W
Miales! Why did you do that to the rest of us?!?

W
W
Great choice Phoenix! We love the people mover and wish they still had it at Disneyland which is the park we go to the most.

Thinking on the def and hope to get it to you by morning.

Moderated by  Weez 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Talon475, Randal Trimmer, Kimf, Yvon, TennesseeBaron
177 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Member Spotlight
AJ
AJ
Hertfordshire, UK
Forum Statistics
Forums103
Topics2,847
Posts140,850
Members177
Most Online296
Jan 19th, 2020
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
†Restricted forums can only be accessed by DreamLyrics members of the age of 18 years or older. Access which is granted by the Behind Closed Doors Procedure.
™DreamLyrics Play-by-Post. DreamLyrics Play-by-Post does not own copyright on DreamLyrics texts or graphics, except trademarked DreamLyrics logos and logotypes. The works contained in DreamLyrics are copyrighted (automatically, under the Berne Convention) by the original authors and may be available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence. (See Copyrights for details.)
Privacy Policy