Eye of the Dragon
DreamLyrics Play-by-Post
Who's Online Now
3 members (Phoenix Prime, eclaasse, Pandemonium), 28 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Dice Roller
You will need to enable Javascript in order to view the Dice Roller.
Games Recruiting List

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

Whilst still waiting for Blue's answer, Cesare listens to Lyric. He already has respect for her grasp on situations and her ability to apply tactics as needed.

"Mine sounds a simple job but we do need to work out which door.. an early recce will solve that hopefully.. and whether or not I will be able to hear Lori from that location. We can test that too. Plus we need to be sure that all the doors actually lead to rooms in order to work out which is the last valid one."

He is squinting whenever his eyes move slowly towards light but it sounds like he is thinking again and has already accepted his role as a given.

Bekkah

As Lyric spoke, she couldn't help but wonder about the girl. One moment, she seemed like a naive teen, then other times, she sounded like a veteran strategist. Either way, she seemed like a good hearted soul so she'd ask no more questions of her and take her at face value for now.

"Oh there are many things, I might hesitate to trust Dominic with, but in this case, I trust the message we have received and I will gladly help him although, I'm not much on planning. I tend to go where needed and share my Lady's love. I only take major action when she guides me. So let me know how I can help."

Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Bordertown
The Dragonstooth Tavern
Restday, the Twenty-Fifth day of Crown of Ice

Lyric, Cesare, Bekkah, Daxia, Kisa Allaine, Keiko, Tomomi, Bluebell, Dandelion Koromov and a very slowly growing influx of tavern patrons.

"So, no one's going to answer my question?"

Half-Rhoni, half-Imperial eyes narrowed at that, a reminder that Dandelion Koromov carried not only powerful blood, but also passionate blood. It was not a familiar situation for the slender blonde swordswoman and she did not seem happy at all about it. Her voice had drooped, a touch cooler now. Kisa Allaine blinked, suddenly caught off guard. She just looked at the two Dayalans, one then the other, folding her hands in her lap before speaking.

"Dominic asked me to follow my heart. So I shall. When it comes to such thing he's never lead me astray. Into a stern talking to every now and then, when we were fostered together, but never astray. As for the others? They are sitting over there. Most you know, I believe. They have acquired a few more friends; they seem nice."

Dandelion's response was a simple chuff of breath, looking past Kisa to the others.

"Then you don't mind me moving forward, Dama?"

It was a very polite and proper request that the Koromov made, considering how much of her allowance Kisa had paid for her services.

"Of course not."

Having been given leave, Dandelion took sturdy, disciplined steps around the Dawnview contingent and towards those who had come from Waverider's Watch. While she didn't claim a space at their table, she did snare a chair, flip it around and sat in it backward, so she could cross her arms and rest them on the chair's back. That she could was an advantage of quarter-cut tunics, originally meant for riding. She grabbed a tall mug of kavass from one of the passing barmaids, taking a sip as she first took in their continuing conversation.

Tomomi tilted her head, her expression lost in the shadow of her travel cloak hood.

"Hinata Cat? He's at the big building where all the soldiers were. He said he was going to join them, remember? That means he's probably in all sorts of trouble and enjoying it immensely, ja?"

The little girl followed next, her eyes wide.

"Fish cakes for breakfast, that would be all wonderful. Excepting that they are sold down in the market. Which is a good run away and would be bad because it is usually raining nowadays. Except for today. Which is nice. What is that? Is that a muffin? With blueberries?"

Without a break, like a young child often do, Blue easily switched from one subject to another.

"Oh! Oh, I know that. Everyone knows that. Midwinter's Hill is just outside the town. We can't go there because we are little. It's where the Rhoni spends their festival since all their wagons would just fill the squares right up. It isn't far at all, just on the other side of the ruins. When I get older I want to go see it because folks say it's really, really pretty, so pretty it's magical."

If what Bluebell said was correct, that placed their final destination not a short but a middling walk from the town center. Certainly not long. It also made one of Dominic's requests sensible. If it was someone else's festival encampment, it might be wise and polite to warn them that something was up come sunset. Blue was also correct about the weather; Her light was warm, the winter winds almost non-existent and it was certainly shaping up to be a grand day out. A day which passed, at least as far as they were concerned, fairly uneventfully. Not that there weren't things happening between breakfast and the approach of sunset. Come the midday meal the talk in the commons hall was all about the Jvrillian Guildhouse.

"It was like out of a minstrel's tale. This huge guy comes into the hall, speaks about burnt fish and when everyone laughs at him he just picks up Gregori, raises him over his head and tosses him all the way to the room's other side."

"Did he really say what they said he said? That Gregori was sitting in his sunbeam?"

"I don't know, I was dodging bodies and breakfast. The brawling was still going on when they summoned the Lady from her tower and all the captains, you know what they were doing? They were standing back arguing with each other - they didn't care who or what he was, but they all wanted him as a skirmisher."

"I heard that Daffyd finally hired him on. Got one up on Harry, he did, when he pointed out that a brute with claws would probably scare his horses!"

By that time Cesare's question would also have been answered. It was a tavern matter, so of course, Lori could easily explain.

"The room at the end of the hall? You mean the one the young rake fellow paid for and as far as know it's just sitting there empty? You know - Domine - Garrick and Harry's friend. At least it was empty when we took care of the beddings this morning. But he paid in good coin and more than we normally charge come festival, so who's to gainsay that? I can show you if you wish."

And that she did. The room was exactly that; down the stairs, down the hall, and at its very end. While you could not hear anything from the commons at the room's door - and vice versa - the distance between the two was not very far. One could get from the commons hall to the mystery room in but a handful of heartbeats or so. Lori blinked, however, because something was new.

"What in the Merebeast's Name are you doing here?"

A pair of guardsman stood on each side of the door. They were both in light armor, with shield and sword. The shields bore the horsemark of Hohlkavin's troop. The two looked at each other.

"We got hired to guard this room."

The first guard spoke and was answered by the second.

"We stay out here and make sure whoever is in the room doesn't leave until they's fetched for."

"We don't need to do anything, apart from just stop this person from entering the room."

"No, no. Leaving the room."

"Leaving the room, yes."

The second guard looked at the first.

"You got that, right?"

"Right. Oh, if-if-if, uh, if-if-if, uh, if-if-if we..."

"Look, it's quite simple."

"Uhm ...

"We just stay here and make sure anyone doesn't leave the room. All right?

"Right."

"Until they's fetched for."

"Right."

Lori just crossed her arms.

"You two were hired by a short guy with black hair, I take it.

The two guards looked at each other and then spoke in unison.

"Right."

The barmaid threw up her hands, turning to Cesare.

"There's your door. It's guarded. So it's not going anywhere. I am though."

Lori marched back towards the commons and the sanity of working through the festival. As she did, the first guard immediately took up after her. The second guard quickly reached out to catch him by his sword belt.

"Where are you going?"

"I'm going with her!"

"No no, We stay here and make whoever doesn't leave."

"Oh, I see. Right."

"Until they's fetched.

"Right."

Obviously, Cesare was supposed to be the fetcher, come just before sunset.

That left the remainder of the day for undertaking whatever business needed or desired. For most it would be quiet afternoon, passing the time in the tavern or the town and being well able to return to the Dragonstooth before the allotted time. One thing, however, would occur that day. Tomomi would finally not stand for a certain matter anymore. Standing up, the young mouse-woman took up her pack and marched over to Kisa Allaine and commanded.

"Sit.

"Oh, you are sitting.

"I need this."

Reaching out Tomomi took up Kisa's sleeve and pulled the other woman's arm straight and to a place where it could be easily reached by a sitting Mouse. Then, sitting next to the Allaine Tomomi would make herself comfortable and empty her pack, taking up needle, thread, and lace. Kisa watched, both amused and bemused, as her sleeves were properly scalloped, setting that matter right.

[OOC note: We are pausing here to allow folks to talk amongst each other (Nivek, did you miss Lyric's previous request?), ask further questions or take whatever actions you wish to between morning and sunset. Simply put, unless you folks act differently, the time between breakfast and Lori calling for dinner would pass by without any further outside event. Hinata is quite happy where he is and unless you have further questions for Dandelion she'd spend her day mostly watching and be accessible to you folks - while she might go off on other business, she will be at and then return to the Commons hall with ample time to interact with. Unless something drastic happens both Kisa and Tomomi will play along with Dominic's requests.]

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

He reaches out and takes a blueberry muffin and passes it to the girl.

"This will have to do until we can arrange fishcakes."

The words are solemn but his eyes are twinkling. He greets Dandy, chuckles at the antics of Hinata cat and then excuses himself as he dutifully follows Lori to =the= door and its strange guards. He cannot work out what Dommi is up to but reckons he can fulfil his part of it this evening.

On his return he speaks to Keiko.

"Kinswoman, Blue has said there are Rhoni camped outside the town and I think you are going to visit to fulfil Dommi's request. I have to be back here tonight but I would very much welcome an opportunity to visit with you, if you would provide introductions?"

Online Away
Lyric, a Minstrel for the flowers and the walls.

The Military Woman, with dark black soulless blade at her hip, who was called by a rank and and a name of noble value approached the travelling group and took up a a chair. She didn't so much as join them, but rather she found a way to loom over them from the seated position. perhaps that was a result of how she approached, and then how she turned the chair around and straddled it as though it were a tavern destrier. She said nothing, but her eyes were watching them all. Her next few hours had been interwoven with their own and Lyric imagined that this woman wanted to know, not only why, but also who... with Whose lives was she becoming entangled at the behest of Dominic Korie, a Trickster Noble in Trouble.

Tomomi spoke, and then Bluebell, and then Cesare. Hinata the Cat at the Guildhouse, but not what of that... And fishcakes for breakfast that were sold too far to get in the here and now, and the muffins with Blue Berries for Blue Bell. yes, there was something oddly fascinating about the child and the things she said and how she 'worked' the people around her. A Gift for engendering empathy while navigating the rolling drifts of Chaos.

Maybe Lyric would have been more attentive to all this going on around her, but she couldn't. The hooded minstrel sat back, even further than before, even closer to the wall, and regarded the Captain Koromov from the shadows of her own space of concealment. She held her mug of warmed cider closer to her face and sipped from it. And she felt the emptiness in front of her. It was like staring into Entropy, save that it was a defined lack of Chaos or even Order. It was a nothingness, a void. It made the Minstrel uneasy. Her sensitivities to such things was acute and this sensation was like a cutting to the quick of that.

Her attention was focused, but the Minstrel was keenly subdued and self-aware. She was a consummate performer and could hide her tension in a placid calm facade. Those who knew her well enough would sense that this exterior calm was not how they would expect to find their friend though. An outsider to their little travelling bad might never notice anything except what the Minstrel wanted and needed them to sense.

But there was one word that focused the Minstrel's attention away from Dandelion Koromov. Blue was talking about Midwinter's Hill, and Lyric was soaking in the words she heard and strategizing the timing. They could get the mystery guest from the room, and move as a group to this Midwinter's Hill. One word, and Dommie's words to her through Bluebell gained clarity. Had Dommie seen what she had done in the depths of the Evil Keep on the Lake? Or had he heard about it from Emerald? The latter was likely, and more inline with her own remembrances of those chaotic moments where Desperation and Hope clashed. Where she refused to let the former defeat the latter. Where she summoned the strength to do things she had never tried in all her life. Where magic was bent to her will and need.

The Magic of those terrible vault doors and the mechanism of Dark Steel, forged to serve a foul purpose, became a servant of the Minstrel.

Blue said that the Rhoni Camp at Midwinter's Hill was so Pretty it was Magical. Magical. Dommie's words to Lyric were that she would have to play and that it had to be magical. Dommie wanted Lyric to do what she did before because Magic was going to be used. If there was magic there, then whoever or whatever the Other was, it might be looking to use that magic as well.

Or it meant nothing at all.

Lyric would find out when the last ray of light said farewell to the Sea of Opals.

"Yes, we will need to warn the Rhoni... Be it the Grandfathers or the Grandmothers... Whichever is most proper... Anyone who will take us seriously when we speak of an impending Trouble and disruption to their festival time," she said softly, with clutched mug in front of her mouth. "We will need to do this now, so we can be back here for dinner's call."

Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Bordertown
The Dragonstooth Tavern

Lyric, Cesare, Bekkah, Daxia, Kisa Allaine, Keiko, Tomomi, Bluebell, Dandelion Koromov and a very slowly growing influx of tavern patrons.

- Great Hall, Talantal Keep, evening, two days ago.

Khorall Dorian Korie sat alone in the expansive and grand hall. He had banished his court, sent them packing, at least until the morrow. He sat in his chair, elbows on his knees, chin in his palms. He looked to the side, to an empty chair, one in which no one had sat for uncounted years. Uncounted save by himself, the Khorall of the Mainland's most powerful keep knew the number of years, days and bells between then and now.

It was his only regret. In all his life, all his power, all his glory, his only regret. His was a marriage of political convenience. Duty to family always came first. He had let that blind him, so very long ago. Blinded so well that he did not realize that it had stopped being a marriage of convenience until it was too late. Perhaps that is why he could never be close to his youngest son. Perhaps it was not that he could not forgive Dominic. But, perhaps, it was because he could never forgive himself for being so blind.

His youngest son had surprised him. That he had the savvy to tell him the truth about the Amber girl. It was odd to share a secret between his youngest and himself. She would become a Hero and her death would bind the Families Korie and those of Amber closer. But he knew the truth of things. And that was critical in what came next.

It was the girl who had shocked him. Of course, he knew her. He knew everyone who lived within his halls, or at the least, he had believed so. But in one simple motion, she proved him wrong - he did not know her at all.

He looked to the empty chair beside him.

He was the most powerful Khorall in all the mainland.

And in all his years, that one quiet, soft, and gentle action, so simple, so plain, of all he had ever heard, sung or seen with his own eyes, it was the most brave.

It was an odd group that approached the Rhoni encampment that afternoon. A much smaller group that one might have expected. It was Lyric the minstrel, Cesare, Captain Koromov with Blue as their guide. The others had decided to remain in the Dragonstooth, to manage their own affairs. Tomomi seemed the happiest of them and Kisa most amused. A simple country mouse had captured a Noble lady for the purposes of lace. In an odd way, it was an excellent matched set of Midwinter's gifts, one a gift of giving and the other the gift of receiving.

Bluebell's guidance was a bit shaky, having only heard of the place. But she was obviously trying her best for them. Her kindness had been bought by a breakfast muffin, which set Cesare high in the little girl's ranks. She had even saved half of it - a not uncommon practice among those whose next meal is but a hopeful wish - and that last half she nibbled on as she pointed the way around the ruins.

"It's supposed to be around there, on the other side of the all the broken stones and everything. There's supposed to be a trail that leads up to where the Kind Lady and the Crazy Brother lives. Oh. Uhm. Ah. Wise Brother. Wise Brother lives. But its all brambly and twisted tree-like. It's kind of scary. So there's got to be a better way, I think, right?"

At that Dandelion was the one who crouched down, looked in the direction that was pointed, narrowing her eyes in concentration.

"You mean that little hint of a trail, where the ground is hard and the grass has forgotten to grow?"

"Aye-yup! That's it!"

Captain Koromov stood, ruffling the girl's hair.

"You are one smart lassie."

The earnestness of both Blue and the Koromov's words was surprising. One did not often get a chance to see a gentler side to the Dayalan swordswoman. Captain Dandelion Koromov was, after all, a familiar Bordertown visitor and thus it should not have been a surprise that she actually knew where Midwinter's Hill - and also the Rhoni encampment - was. That she let Blue lead them there, well, that was something new for everyone.

It was a nice afternoon; cool but not cold, not even cold enough to need cloaks or heavy winter gear. And once the group made their way around the base of the old temple their destination was both clear and relatively close. It was on the other side of the Flowered Path, far enough beyond the ruins that it could not be considered a part of them, but not far enough away to be a long walk. It was, as described, a nice little hill, set within a half circle of the High Tarn's boulders, which gave just enough cover to provide a comfortable level of privacy.

The hill itself was capped in a small copse of trees. Oddly it was still swathed in green, not the usual storm season brown. About three-quarters of the way up a fairly steep slope, there was a spring which happily fountained from between two small grey rocks. A little creek then cascaded down the hill, wrapped around the hill's base and then made a second, much larger, loop before disappearing into the surrounding fields. The Rhoni encampment was on the other side of the creek, set within the bounds of the stream's second loop. A bit further away, on a second small hillock, there was a pair of large rocks. Between the rocks was a simple wooden structure, constructed of two very tall posts and a pair of cross beams. It was painted red.

The Koromov nodded to the stones and structure beyond.

"That's called a pony gate and it's special to the Rhoni folks. I've seen a handful of them scattered across the mainland. But what they are and how they are special, you got me."

- Rhoni encampment, Red Pony Gate, Bordertown, this morning.

Shino Khal'Yuri Akiyama looked down upon the cards before her. As the eldest, just as the sun also rose each day, so did she took out her deck, to look through the window and see what the weather was like. It had been strangely warm the last few days, but, as the human-folk were wont to say, it does no good to look a gift horse in the mouth. The cards too seemed to have caught the weather's pleasant tidings. And then she blinked.

Two days ago it had been Forest, Holly, Mercy. Yesterday it had been Forest, Holly and the First of Shattering.

And today it was Forest, Holly, Dragon.

Were the cards taunting her? Had they gotten stuck? Often, day by day, the readings were similar. That was when the world's currents were strong and their changing something only accomplished over time. But for three days, the two lead cards had been the same, and today not there was not just a new card third, but a Dragon, one of the deck's wildest and most potent cards.

"Yui ... did you cast from your deck this morning?"

The eldest grandmother questioned the youngest of the two families' card readers. Yui Khal'Shinju Tamarimizu. The young lass was strong and had skill interpreting the Deck's sometimes whimsical, sometimes mysterious moods.

"Hai. Forest. Holly. Dragon."

Forest spoke of beginnings. Holly was a card of completion; things coming full circle and promises being kept. The Dragon was an older card, with powerful meaning. One did not disturb a resting dragon, whatever was coming to completion was something that was meant to be.

Shino looked to the other card reader.

"What do you think it means?"

Yui tilted her head. Shino wrinkled her nose. Yui was often as inscrutable as her Cards; hard to distinguish when she was speaking forthrightly or metaphorically.

"We may have guests. Guests that come with the Dragon's blessing."

"Something, something that you don't know what, will be happening on Midwinter's hill this evening?"

The Rhoni leader they were speaking to was a tall, gruff and handsome older man. He didn't look like a grandfather, per se, but he was the one who met them when they reached the little stream. They stood on their side of the stream, while the Rhoni stayed on his. He was not alone; two other men, who could have been brothers, stood on either side of him. Last, standing a bit apart, was a woman. She had long black hair, deep violet eyes and was probably the same age as Keiko.

On their side of the creek, Lyric, Bluebell, and Cesare was one group, with Dandy the one standing a bit apart.

"Yes sir!"

The Rhoni raised a brow when it was Bluebell that answered first.

"And why should that be a matter for the Rhoni?"

The Koromov spoke.

"Because it is a Dominic Korie thing. He may be one of your lesser, more disreputable cousins but he seemed concerned that whatever he is planning might disturb you. As for me, I'm just curious. Curious enough that I might, if pressed, ask a boon from my Mother's side of the family."

The Rhoni man started. He gave the Captain a sudden stern look. While there were many half-bloods - even powerful ones like Dominic Korie and Kisa Allaine - they were still just Festival born. Dandy was different. She traveled in no Caravan, had strange ways, but there was no denying she was still Family. Her Mother's marriage was recognized. That was when the girl, the one standing apart on their side of the stream, spoke up.

"Hiroki, it seems the Dragon has spoken. Midwinter's Hill has never been just ours. It belongs to the young."

The Rhoni man considered his relatives' words. Then finally nodded.

"We shall take your warning for what it is. Bring no harm to ours who might share the hill. But you will stay away from the other hill tonight. The Pony's Gate is ours."

Captain Koromov simply shrugged her shoulders.

"If he brings harm, you can be sure I'm the one who will end that manner of mischief."

- Waverider's Watch, The Korie Tower, just after lunch.

"I am going to thrash that boy within an inch of his life."

Atop the little tower, the Korie guardsman turned to the very disgruntled priestess beside him.

"Oh. You really do know our Young Lord, don't you?"

The three returned to the Dragonstooth well before dinnertime.

"I think I shall take my leave of you folks for a bit. Places to be, people to meet, and if we have to chase that louse tonight we are going to need folks skilled in doing just that. Midwinter's hill at sunset. I will be there."

Dandelion Koromov parted from them at the entrance to the tavern. She turned, walking down the street towards the Sheriff's house and the Jvrillian guildhall. That left the rest to gather at the commons. It seemed to be the place to be; as the afternoon grew longer more and more folks started to crowd. The minstrels were back and perhaps it was good that certain other folks had their own business elsewhere, because a certain song seemed very popular with all involved.

"I shall go. In case he calls mouse. It would be sad, if that happened and there were no mice to mouse him."

Tomomi made the decision, herself. Which was actually an interesting turn of events. Perhaps traveling did suit her, perhaps she had learned well from her forever friend, that sometimes, friends can make their own decisions. Kisa too was there. She wore her warm Kierkegaard traveling cloak, ready for whatever the night might bring. The cloak, however, hung open. Perhaps that was a little bit of vanity. To show off her scalloped sleeves. Perhaps it was not just for not just for her own sake, but also for her seamstress' sake too.

Finally, as Her light started to cast long shadows, Lori called out for dinner. That was the signal for Cesare's personal quest to begin. The one he had agreed to. So down the hall he went - along with anyone else who desired to come along. That included an Allaine and a Forest Folk, at the least. The guard, of course, was there waiting.

"Oh! There you are! Can we go now? There were all sorts of noises from inside and they did not sound happy at all. Usually, come Midwinter's you know what is being done behind closed doors..."

As if who or whatever was in the room could hear what was being said, the guard's midwinter's comment was followed by the sound of something very heavy hitting the door, like a shoulder, rattling the bar that held it shut. A familiar voice growled back, loud enough to be heard clearly, even with a distinctive accent.

"Nin bh'oodly way!"

It was hard to tell what had disturbed the room's occupant more; being locked in the room or being accused of partaking Midwinter's pleasures.

"I think it is time for us to leave."

The second guard added a single, but just as earnest, syllable.

"Right."

The voice was familiar enough to warrant lifting the bar and opening the door. Standing in a rather distressed looking room was a very tall figure in a patchwork leather cloak. Dark words made a single demand.

"W'ere kin I find t'at bh'oodly wuffess-napper?"

It was Broke.

At least they knew the answer that question. It was almost sunset after all.

- High Seneschal's Chamber, Talantal Keep, late afternoon.

"Marcus, Marcus, Marcus, I'm not stealing him, I'm just borrowing him!"

They made it to Midwinter's Hill just before sunset, just before the twilight between day and night. Bekkah, Cesare, Lyric, Tomomi, Broke and Kisa. The hill was not empty, not empty by far. Sitting on the stones were people the original travelers knew. Captain Koromov, of course, and her friends Garrick - Bordertown's sheriff - and Harry Mohlkavin. If they did need to capture a Korie, they were the three most skilled at it. While both wore dangerous looking swords they were, for all other purposes, unarmored.

At the base of the hill was a very pretty woman, very brightly dressed. She bounced upon her heels, like an excited little girl. Dressed in white and blue and red and gold, she was a vibrant rainbow splash against the fading light. She was also smiling, the brightest and friendliest smile that one might ever imagine. She looked about her constantly, as if she was waiting for someone to arrive that hadn't yet.

There were some Rhoni too; a set of young lads and lasses, sharing the beauty of the hill. They came in pairs and their expressions varied. Most of the girls were curious, at what might bring an odd collection of folks to this place; the lads were curious too, but it was a curiosity of a slightly different flavor - what was this event disturbing their favorite courtship spot. There was a slender lass all alone sitting in one of the tree branches. Her legs swung playfully back and forth, her pretty features shaded by the fall of long black hair.

Near the top of the hill was a tall, slender man in very nice and regal tunics. Again he was a familiar face to all but Lyric and perhaps even to the sheriff and mercenary. As they approached and began their climb to the top of the hill it was Kisa who called out first, rushing up to give the older man a welcoming hug.

"Tray Korie, what are you doing here?"

Just as surprised as Kisa was the Korie lord. He just shrugged his shoulders philosophically. Technically I suppose I was kidnapped, but it could also be my own fault.

"One of the days I was bedridden, I suspect, I must have told my brother I was jealous of his adventures. This, I suspect, is then my midwinter's gift."

"Fine."

A gruff voice from beneath a travel-cloak hood spoke up, as the rest of the little group made it to the top of the hill.

"Fine. We both get to cuff 'im. I get to cuff 'im first. Bh'oodly wuffess-napped I was."

"It's almost sunset."

The quiet words sliced through Broke's rough ones. They were spoken by the girl on the branch as if it was something important, something that they needed reminding of. Indeed, the shadows across the world were at their longest now, slashing black patterns across the landscape, slicing over Midwinters's Hill. Her light burned the western horizon in glorious purples and blues, and for a moment, just this moment, it was as if time suddenly stopped and stood so very still. Even a matched pair of wild critters, playing hide and go seek amongst the tall grasses and between the trees, with pointy ears and long lush tails, came to a pause in their play.

"That's a right pretty sunset, isn't it?"

A shadow swooshed, like the sweep of a cloak, and then, as if it was perfectly natural and expected, one Dominic Domine Korie stood next to a travel cloaked Broke.

"You know, you won't be needing this anymore. And I won't have it, not today."

And with a single smooth motion, Dommi stood as tall as he could, sweeping off Broke's travel-cloak hood.

Broke suddenly was frozen in place, caught completely and suddenly off balance. And so was everyone else. Even the Koromov was taken aback, at the tall sturdy swordswoman, who not only had tall black ears and a snout, but wore a silver star just like she did.

"W'ye ..."

Broke's question was a single confused chuff of breath.

Dominic smiled. And he pointed to the base of the hill.

Dominic's dramatics had been a very successful distraction. All had had their attention focused on him and Broke. And thus the arrival of the evening's most important guest had been missed.

She was dressed in white, tunics full and bright. The finest Dawnnview silk, with hems decorated in silver thread, wide bands of key patterns and playful knotwork. Small, slender, slight, and while her cheeks didn't really know how to blush the inside of her wide round ears were definitely pinking. Green eyes sparkled like their namesake gems, long whiskers accenting fine features. Long silver hair cascaded over her fine shoulders. She could not help but smile, holding her bouquet of wildflowers. She would never need to wear a travel cloak, never again.

Of course, Miss Emerald Mouse had been taken from Dominic.

"Why? Because I need you to be my best wuff, Broke."

The groom was not supposed to see his bride in her gown before their wedding day.

Last edited by Wolf; Tue 19/06/18 03:34 UTC.
Bekkah

She traveled with the others to the Midwinter's celebration. As always she was calm almost as if she suspected something.

She saw Tray Korie and and went to greet him, smiling up at him.

"You're looking much better my Lord." she said approvingly.

Then her appearance was drawn to the newest to appear. Dominic's appearance made her smile and the smile grew as he removed Broke's hood. She heartily agreed with the sentiment. The last surprise of all brought the biggest smile to her face.

Of course, only Dominic would dare to do something like this in this manner. He'd made them all worry, but considering the circumstances, she'd forgive him. She hoped the others would as well, although she was pretty sure some would have words for him.

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

He had performed the part allotted to him, never guessing that it would be Broke in the room. He is still puzzling the issue as they approach the hill. Then he is distracted by the presence of several Rhoni. Apart from Keiko these are the first Rhoni outside of his family that he has come across. He is not sure what to do and wishes Keiko was here to ask. Should he introduce himself? Should he wait for them to make the first move? Would they know him as Rhoni?

Then other events occur that steal his attention back to more familiar faces. Dommis brother is here too. He likes the young lord, remembering the castle and his and Bekkah's interference in his strange imprisonment. Then Dommi too arrives. And then Emerald, who he had also met at the castle the first time. But she looks so radiant, so different and suddenly all becomes clear. They are here for a wedding!

He chuckles. Dommi is such a rascal.

Online Away
Lyric the Minstrel

So, there they all were, a reunion of sorts. Upon the Midwinter's Hill. Lyric, with her cloak and hood, concealing her armor and her swords, at the ready with the ancient mandola slung over her back. She stood staring at Dominic from the depths of her hood. A wry smile played at her lips, seen only by someone who looked directly into the shadows of her hood. There was much she needed to say and much she wanted to say, and the two were not exactly the same words. So as others said their words, Lyric reflected, for just a moment in the Here and Now about That Which Came Before.

In all earnest honesty, Lyric would rather not have worn her cloak at all, but she had taken to 'needing' the comfort of it. It felt like a precautionary measure that brought her a sense of peace. Travelling among friends might not have been an issue, but this first trip to the hill had been in the company of the ranked Rhoni with the Imperial family name, and the Captain was a woman that Lyric found to give her pause and unease. Walking a path and trail through what seemed a purposeful thicket brought them all much closer together than was absolutely necessary. Again, were she travelling with just her companions than it wouldn't have mattered if she had gone without the cloak on the cool afternoon adventure, except maybe to shield her soft skin from the brambles,

Dominic was a showman of sorts. He enjoyed the spectacle of his own mischief. It seemed to be a part of the package. Kadri had a bit of a flair it as well, though hers was presented with a need and cause for Justice. To that end maybe even now he did things here on this hill that honored Justice as much as Mischief. Order and Chaos finding balance. He revealed Broke for all to see, even the new jewelry which Lyric had seen worn by other's now among them. Broke had accepted the Path presented before her by the Goddess of Order itself. That made Lyric smile. It was not Lyric's path, but Broke deserved a path, as did all the Forest Folk. And now Dommi had removed her cloak and presented her to the world as a revelation. More Mischief... and Justice.

Meeting the older Rhoni man, a Master or Lord of sorts, as if Lyric had any understanding of the social structure among the Rhoni, was a little intimidating. He carried himself with Authority, but maybe not the final word of such since a younger woman offered a reassurance of their purpose as though she had the knowledge and wisdom that belied her youthful appearance. Yes, Lyric sometimes gave people that impression of herself. A curiosity indeed. One that Lyric watched closely. She had passed within a 'seeing' distance of the thing he called a Pony's Gate. It was a solitary thing, revered and important, and Lyric looked at it intently for a moment or two as they first walked into the hidden glade, and again at his mention and warning about it. Pony's Gate indeed. Some gates were more dangerous than others, especially those that lead to dangerous pastures.

The light was waning as She settled low against the horizon. The Hill offered a few more moments but slowly and inexorably, the rules of Order would dictate She yield to the darkness of night and rest Herself for her next rising. Those same rules determined that nothing, not even Chaos itself could stop Her. Well, since when did Lyric become so philosophical about things she actually knew very little about? Those thoughts were calming though but soon she would have to take a dangerous path of her own and complete the task to which she had been assigned by the Lord of Mischief.

"I am so happy for you and Em," she whispered as she leaned in close to Dommi. With his face against her own, he could see her better than anyone here. There was more truth in that than anyone else might realize.

"But you gave me a terrible worry. I am travelling with that dangerous woman now because you pulled at a lot of threads. You know she is dangerous to me and you know why." While it might have sounded like chastisement, her tone was softer and her smile was genuine. "I am wearing my armor and carrying my swords... BUT, I know that there is a nature of Chaos that you must follow, you willingly follow, and I understand that. It even pleases me to watch you do what you do. And I willingly take these risks because you mean a great deal to me and one day you will once again be in a grave danger and will need me... and perhaps, one day very soon, maybe even tonight, I might need the same from you. While my words are not Oaths nor Promises, because those things are binding, please know they are important words of Truth to me. I wish you and Em great happiness and endless adventure together and know that I am but a name and a shadow away."

"I have my Mandola and now I must do something magical. The last light touches the Sea of Opals as we speak."

With that Lyric slipped away, passing through a few others, some she knew and some she didn't. She flashed a smile for Dominic's brother as she slid by him with a graceful and fluid step, her eyes lingering on his just enough to make her head turn a little before she was by him. Unslinging her Mandola, she found a place upon a rock that lifted her above the others, but just a little removed so as not to become the focus of attention on the wedding ceremony that was about to take place.

With her skilled, delicate hands, she drew the energies about this place to herself, just tendrils. This was a place with great magic, and it sat so near to the borders and edges of places where magic was even stronger. That first note hung in the air, like an announcement of the moment at hand. That note hung in the air suspended in magic and as it did the Minstrel began to tap the mandola to create a rhythm. She beat the rhythm out and it to was spun out from her hands and mandola and then repeated itself as she moved on to play a layer of rhythm and that too was woven into the repeating beat, and then another layer and another... and when all these layers were set loose and played about the glen and the Hill Lyric added a counterpoint lead that was as playful as Dommi and as refined and beautiful as Emerald.

The music was woven and spun out from the minstrel to serve serve as a backdrop for what was to happen next. This was also, by far, one of the more elaborate magical efforts that Lyric had ever revealed to anyone since leaving her home. But she was taking a risk on the Midwinter's evening. It was one thing to weave magic in the dark depths of a Mad Prince's Sunken Keep where life and death dictated that everyone do everything they could to survive and succeed, and quite another to perform 'Music and Magic' not only before strangers friends, but also in the presence of some who weren't quite strangers, that might decide they couldn't be a friend either. It was a risk...

But...
The choice had been made...
The magic was woven...
The music was played...

Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Keiko khal’Nakano Hoshiko
[pronounced KAY-ko... do you think the GM has memorized this yet? Nope, not yet...]

Although she had hinted last night that visiting the Caravans with Cesare would be a good idea, this morning the thought was less appealing. Between the confusion that the Young Master was causing — not surprising, given the Lady he served — and the Caravan markings she’d glimpsed earlier, Keiko felt that she need to go there alone. She made her apologies but still felt a little guilty about it all.

She took the long way around to the camp, not following the others to Midwinter Hill. She wrapped her cloak around herself more closely, despite the fair weather of the day.

Should she be visiting the Caravans? The Elders had said to avoid them. But it was Midwinter, and weren’t the rules set aside at the Festival times? Surely that must apply to her quest as well. Especially when one of the Caravan Families was khal’Akiyama Yuri.

Keiko saw the youngster who went to fetch one of the Grandparents. It brought a pang to her heart — she was once that child, watching at the edges of the temporary camp, running to tell the elders of an approaching stranger. It was a task for all the children. It reminded her that she missed her family more than she had allowed herself to miss them in many, many months. She felt underdressed, wrongly dressed, wearing the tunics of the Gaija. Yes, they were more practical for a lone Rhoni when traveling. She missed her colorful robes nonetheless.

As she approached the brightly painted wagons, an elderly woman followed the youngster from between two of them. Keiko smiled.

“Grandmother Shino, it is a more joyful day for having seen you!”

Although elderly, the woman stood straight and proud and was dressed in robes of a deep reddish orange. It was just barely possible to see the embroidered patterns on her clothing, for it was just a shade lighter.

“Rusui Keiko, it is an honor that you bestow on us by visiting our humble Caravan.”

Keiko blushed deeply. “Please, Grandmother, just Keiko is more than enough.”

Shino chuckled. “As you say. But you do know that the Cards have said many things.”

The young woman ducked her head and smiled. “Perhaps that is true. But what the Cards say and what I may say are not the same.”

Shino reached out and hugged the girl. “Ah, your Family possesses so much wisdom to see your excellent traits bursting forth so young! And our Family is honored to bind ourselves closer to yours.” She held Keiko at arms’ length. “You have come to see Michi, haven’t you?”

Keiko nodded. “It is so.”

“Well, then! Come meet our new foster, Yui khal’Tamarimizu Shinju,” Shino said, linking arms with Keiko. “She reminds me of you, at least a little. Michi is still working with his uncles at the forge. Come, come! We shall have tea and speak of all the things you have seen that you may share.”

# # #

“There, you see?” Keiko pointed with the hand not holding Michi’s. “That is the Lady Bekkah, and Cesare, the Lost Cousin I spoke of. Oh! And there is Lyric, and the small lass in the cloak is my friend Tomomi.”

Michi leaned down so he could whisper in her ear. “Is she really a Mouse Girl?”

Keiko nodded. “And a Forever Friend.”

“Such wonders!” he replied. Then he looked around at everyone else. “Who are all these other people?”

“The pretty girl with red hair... that’s Kisa Allaine.”

“No!”

Keiko grinned at him and nodded. “Yes. Her knight is Lady Bekkah’s sister. Did you miss that part of the story?”

Michi chuckled. “I might have missed quite a bit of the story, Keiko. I was too busy being happy to see you. Who is the... Wait, let me see if I can figure it for myself.” He studied the man with Kisa for a moment. “Those are Korie colors, and the Noble Family’s pattern. Too old to be the youngest. Too kind looking to be the Heir. So that must be Lord Tray.”

She giggled. “That, too, is my guess. I’ve never seen him before.”

“Well, we’ve camped here before, so Sheriff Garrick is familiar, as is Captain Mohlkavin. The swordswoman must be Captain Koromov then. It’s well known that the three of them are friends.”

As Broke’s words floated over the hill, Keiko grinned. “That’s Broke, the Guardian I mentioned.”

“Yes, ‘fierce’ is definitely an excellent word to describe her,” Michi murmured.

“But good and kind, too, don’t forget.”

“I promise that I will do my best to remember that.” He nodded to the lass in the tree. “And her?”

Keiko shrugged. “I don’t know. Nor do I know the flouncy, bouncy, joyful lass farther down the hill. Although, from her attire, it would not surprise me to learn she serves Krysta.”

Michi looked down at the young woman at his side, an expression of surprise on his face. “Yes, I believe that is Lady Kara. Ah! You did say that you are training to be a Lore Master as well as a Card Reader, didn’t you?”

She nodded. “I did... when we first met two years ago.”

He squeezed her hand when the Shadowlord appeared beside Broke and gasped as the young man swept the Guardian’s cloak away. His eyes grew wide.

“I thought you were teasing us,” he managed to say.

Keiko just patted his hand. However, when the Young Master pointed down the hill, it was her turn to gasp. Emmi was so beautiful!

“Lady Emerald?” Michi asked.

Keiko could only nod.

He peered further down the hill then, brows drawing together in confusion for a moment before his expression cleared and his eyes widened again.

A Unicorn! The Caravan khal’Akiyama Yuri had never camped here in the spring, so he had never been granted the honor of seeing the Unicorn and Rider who dispatched the griffins along Skaefla Plateau. The last time their Caravan had traveled as far west as Talesan’s Village — an area where another Unicorn and Rider were said to reside — he had been but a small child. And this Unicorn... this Unicorn’s Rider had flaming red hair.

Legends were coming to life and being formed right before his eyes. Then he looked down at the woman at his side as her arm wrapped around his waist. For an instant, he was almost lost in those violet eyes. He returned her smile, and when she looked back at the scene in front of them, he realized he was very nearly as lucky as today’s groom, for he was betrothed to the most brilliant woman in all the Caravans — not that he would tell his Grandmothers that. If not for her bravery and knowledge of lore, if not for their Elders’ decision that they would make a fine husband and wife someday, if not for Keiko of the khal’Nakano Hoshiko, he would not be standing on the edge of history.

"Everything is bad except unicorns." -- Phoebe
Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Verchovai Daxia Yurisdotter
[Daxia serves DAYALA... the GM ESPECIALLY should get this right]

When the little Mouse Girl came over and started stitching lace onto Kisa’s sleeves, Daxia tried very hard not to laugh. The thought of her ever so serious and exceedingly bookish friend wearing something lacy was so new and so different that... Well, it was right up there with having an Eastern princess as a dear friend.

Still, this whole nonsense with Dominic was unsettling. She watched as Dandelion left with the others before turning back to Kisa.

“Please don’t get into any trouble, my liege. There are things I need to do...” Daxia shook her head. “I can’t quite explain it, Kisa. I just know that I need some perspective or time or peace or maybe just a good thrashing from one of Koromov’s men. Except they’re not here. Anyway, if I don’t at least take a very long walk around the ruins, I’m going to still feel the need to tear Dominic into component parts come sunset. And that’s bad form at Midwinters.” She sighed. “Well, at any time, really, what with him being a Noble and me being a commoner, or whatever the heck it is that my title means. But it’s lower than Noble, and now I’m actually babbling!”

Tomomi giggled at that last, causing the Dayalan to sigh again. But she kissed the top of Kisa’s head when she stood up. “Enjoy setting a new Dawnview fashion trend, m’lady. I don’t think I’ve ever seen you or your mother adorned with lace.”

# # #

She climbed the hill with Morning Star, arriving at quite the auspicious moment. The Captain, Garrick, and Harry were, of course, waiting to wallop Dominic soundly if such actions proved to be necessary. And if such measures had proven to be necessary, Daxia hoped they would have left a small piece of the young Shadowlord for her to pummel. Maybe a finger to step on. Something small.

It wasn’t necessary, though. The rest of the tableau on the hill was a study in contrasts. The two Nobles, Kisa and Tray, balanced against the bemused Rhoni, one of whom was her sister’s and Cesare’s friend. The colorful, joyful, and bright countenance of Lady Kara balanced the dark travel cloak that must contain her latest Temple sister. Wuffess-napped? Oh, yes. Definitely Broke.

Sunset. Goodnight, my Lady. I will share the wonders of this night with you on the morrow.

Daxia was tempted to smile at Dominic’s arrival. But she didn’t, more out of respect for Broke’s discomfort than anything else. Fine, it was the look of surprise on the Koromov’s face when she saw Broke. Hmm. She probably should have mentioned that to her. Well, there really hadn’t been much time for such things, had there?

She had to blink twice when Lady Emerald appeared out of thin air a handful of paces in front of her.

Daxia swallowed hard and clenched her teeth. Damn it, Dominic, can’t you do anything like a normal person? But then she relaxed. No, he couldn’t. And given half a chance, she’d probably even forgive him for this nonsense.

She turned her head to give her companion an exasperated look, but then she smiled as she patted his neck.

Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Bordertown
The Dragonstooth Tavern

Lyric, Cesare, Bekkah, Daxia, Kisa, Keiko, Tomomi, Bluebell, Dandy, Harry, Garrick, Michi, Kara, Daxia, Morning Star, Tray, Dominic, Emerald and associated hill top guests.

"Paaaaaaaaash ..."

Dominic smiled as he shooked his head, coming to a certain disagreement with Bekkah.

"Who cares what I look... look... oh my word..."

Upon Emmi's arrival, Dominic's attention was completely stolen as he looked at his bride.

"... sweet sugar in the morning with berries and muffins and candied apples."

And in a way he was completely right. It didn't matter what he looked like, all that mattered was the little Mouse in softest white. Who was, at least for one person here tonight, simply the most beautiful person in the world. Miss Emerald, she both smiled, a smile that was truly humored and happy, and blushed. That blush was amazing; who could have ever figured that big soft mouse ears could pink even deeper?

On their gray rock, Harry also just shook his head. Garrick rolled his eyes. And Dandelion Koromov just snickered. She held out a hand and very reluctantly Harry and Garrick dropped a few coins her palm.

"I certainly am."

Tomomi spoke. That was probably a surprise to Michi, the Rhoni lad attached to Keiko. When, next to Keiko, there was a small figure who hadn't been there the heartbeat before. Tomoni then hesitated. She hesitated and then looked to Broke - who was glaring at Dominic - and then to Emmi. Tomomi then drew down the hood of her travel cloak. And yes, just like Miss Emmi, she too was small, frail, so perfectly crafted and her ears and whiskers were definitely mouse-ish, but it was like, well, that was just the way things were supposed to be.

"Forever Friend Keiko taught me that it was fine to be a Mouse Girl."

She then looked up into Keiko's eyes.

"Is he your Family? Should I scallop his tunics too?"

That, that shattered a stoic's calm demeanor. Kisa Alliane actually giggled. And aye, Kisa was definitely going to make a fashionable statement at her first official Court.

For Cesare, this was indeed a new thing. Not that Dominic wasn't a rascal, but that Cesare was in a place where there were more than one of his kin-folk about. That Keiko showed up with a companion, that was a surprise, but it was the kind of surprise that he felt he should have expected. She had tried to tell him how important their concept of Family, Rhoni and Gaija were and here was the proof of it. That they had customs that were as strict as any Imperial law. But, it seemed, they didn't have to be bad ones. He was in a between space - he was not a Gaija but he had little experience of what it meant to be Rhoni. That could be looked at in two ways. That he was lost, or that he had the chance to, truly, begin his own journey back to his kin.

Tray Korie waved to him.

"Come. No need to stand alone."

Lyric's music, that swept over the hill like a blanket. It tugged at the hearts of the Rhoni who had brought their own courtship to Midwinter's Hill this night. In the camp, it slipped in and about, reminding the married folk just why they were together. There was magic in it, yes. But all she had to do was look at Dominic and Miss Emerald and realize that he was right. That he had the truth of it. The music tonight needed to be magical. Perhaps that did not mean simply filled with magic, this was not something that had to do with power and strength. But magical, something that Miss Emerald would remember for the rest of her life.

Today, that simple phrase, for the rest of one's life, came with a new meaning. Only the very best for Emmi, that was what Dominic had whispered back to her. And turning her attention to the bride, could any coin or drink or accolade she had been given for her songs match the smile Miss Emmi offered Lyric in return for the minstrel's kindness tonight?

Until...

"OW!"

Dominic winced as he was almost knocked off his feet. His best-wuff had just taken the ball of her hand and cuffed the back of his head. Hard. The fierce Forest Folk Guardian suddenly had everybody's attention. To which she just put her hands on her hips, looking back as if she were surprised that they were surprised.

"What?

"Somebody had to do it."

Miss Emmi smiled. Dominic rubbed his head. Broke crossed her arms.

"So.

"Just what is a best-wuffess supposed to do?"

Dominic Korie blinked. And of course, he replied.

"Oh! Well, traditionally, the Best Wuff is supposed to protect the Bride and Groom, right? In case a very jealous previous lover, the house guard of a Rival Noble House shows up or some troublesome rake decides to come to kidnap Miss Emmi."

Broke tilted her head.

"Dominic.

"First, Emmi has always been head over heels in love with you. Only you. Second, the Noble here with a Guard is Kisa Allaine and her knight Daxia. If they decide to kidnap anyone, which I doubt, I'd be bound to help them. Third, the only troublesome rake here is you and last, look down that hill. Don't you remember who that is? Did you forget her Name? That's right. Is there anyone in the world who can kidnap her if she doesn't want to be kidnapped?"

The young Korie lordling just blinked.

"Oh."

To which Broke had but a simple response.

"Dommi..."

**CUFF**

"You are an idiot."

The girl in the tree had to bite her lip to keep from laughing so hard she might have fallen. Dominic rubbed his head and philosophically shrugged his shoulders. He also, however, grinned mischievously. To the side, Dandelion looked to Harry and Garrick, leaning closer, whispering very conspiratorily.

"Oh, I like her."

Of course, Dominic heard that. Most theatrically his eyes went wide with well-practiced shock, a hand coming, which he placed on the center of his chest. It was a simple, obvious, pantomime. You too? You wound me.

"Thank you all ..."

That, however, was what he said. His gaze then swept over those upon the hill. He paused when his eyes met Miss Emmi's as if they were sharing some secret missive. He continued on, next to Kisa, and then, then finally to Daxia. That was where he stopped.

"We talked long and hard, deep into the night, that last night at Waverider's Watch. We had so many choices. Her Lady. My Lady. The Court. My dearest childhood friend. I admitted I get lost in the sparkle of the morning's light in her pretty green eyes. At night? When our paths first took us apart and we hadn't realized just what we were feeling, Emmi was afraid of the dark. So I asked her to look up at the stars before she went to sleep and she would know that I, too, was looking up to the same stars.

"The answer was then obvious.

"If we could, we'd like it to be Dayala to marry us. The spring can be our well, yes?

"But I only know two Priestesses of Dayala. One of them is probably really, really mad at me at the moment."

Broke grinned.

"Aye, but the look on her face when you took me? Bloody priceless."

Dominic tried to look innocent. Lady Kara cornered her mouth with both hands. Dominic and Emerald both nodded to Daxia.

"Would you do us the honor?

"Please?"

Last edited by Wolf; Sun 24/06/18 17:17 UTC.
Bekkah

She smiled at Dommi and then stared in wonder at Lyric's music, which was clearly far more than just notes. When Dommi looked at Emmi, Bekkah's face changed to a sad smile. Not for the couple, but for one of the few times, she was thinking about herself. She was starting to accept that she'd never know that look from another. The thought passed in a few moments as she let her heart fill with the joy she saw in those two.

[ooc: Boss, the comment Bekkah mad about looking better was to Tray, not Dommi]

Last edited by Nivek; Mon 25/06/18 15:13 UTC.
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Ceasre

He does indeed feel as though he has maybe part of a tentative foot in both camps represented here, stranded in the between but maybe with an opportunity to draw both closer. But all of that must wait. This moment is not about him, it is about Emmi and Dommi and the very special relationship and love they have for each other. When he compares his memories of the timid Mouse in the castle to the.. woman he sees standing before them all, he smiles, happy that she has made her journey to this place and that he had been privileged to be able to play a small part in that journey.

He hears Lord Tray call out to him and turns to smile at him. He manages a short bow.

"Lord Tray."

The words may have formality but his grin takes that away. With a few running steps and then a spring, he grasps a branch and hauls himself up into the tree.

"Pleased to see you here. You are looking much better that the last time I saw you. I'm glad of that."

Online Away
Lyric, playing music, on a rock, at a Hill, for a wedding, during a festival night

That alone nearly sums up the current moment for the Minstrel. And living in the the moment, each and every moment, is a part of who she is. So, while she sees things that might interest or amuse her, like Dommie's brother, or the wondrous and magnificent creature accompanying the Dayalan Swordswoman... or maybe gathering Keiko up as an escort and host and visiting among the Rhoni... or, maybe 'And', spending time with Bluebell to see the world through her eyes, a child's eyes.

All of those things appealed to the Minstrel for different, though quite possibly overlapping, reasons as only the personal whimsy of Lyric could define. Lyric is Lyric is Lyric. But then again, everyone was everyone was everyone was also probably true. Hmmm... Anyone was anyone was anyone? It was probably best to keep that phrase more defined and personalized because it made more sense that way.

Lyric continued playing and watching the events unfold around her. A Handfasting Ceremony or a Wedding was not what she expected when she first heard Bluebell's words, but the Quest for a friend was important. Friends were important. Lyric didn't really have anyone she could call a friend before starting her Journey and now, suddenly (at least to her it seemed that way) she had several friends who had other friends who also had other friends. It was humbling and awe-inspiring and the feelings she experienced from being a 'Friend' were powerful.

Lyric felt happiness. She was doing something that she loved, something that gave her great pleasure and contentment, and she was among friends, given the honor of being a witness to the confirmation of Love. More than a witness, she had been asked to participate in the ceremony itself. That was a Gift of the Heart and it was a magic all on its own.

Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
[pronounced KAY-ko... do you think the GM has memorized this yet? Nope, not yet...]

Keiko was pleased with Michi’s outwardly calm reaction to Tomomi’s appearance. He didn’t seem startled, nor did he make any sounds to indicate surprise. He did, however, almost reflexively squeeze her hand again.

He even smiled at her when she pulled back her hood. He might have said something at that point, but Tomomi’s question to Keiko prevented that.

“What? My sleeves?” He looked at the wide sleeves of his Festival hefu that was already embroidered with bright, colorful designs. His preference was for birds, but there were also several spiral patterns as well. Now he did sound frightened.

Keiko laughed and patted his arm. “Do not worry, Michi. It is Tomomi’s way of gift-giving. She is the very best lace-maker I have ever seen.”

She turned to her friend and smiled. “Michi is not yet Family... not quite. When our elders determine the most auspicious day, then we will be wed. Then we will create a new link that ties his family to mine. Our Families are a bit like your lace in a way.

“But our hefu and yuyi — our robes — tell stories and have quite a bit of tradition surrounding them. There is a certain way they should be made, especially the hefu. There are certain patterns to be embroidered for each Family. There is a ritual for folding the hefu properly, and for putting it on. We ride the waves of the world, and our rituals handed down by the Ancestors are the crafts in which we navigate the currents.”

She chuckled. “All of this, I suppose, is a long way of saying that lace isn’t a part of our traditions.” She gave Michi a mischievous glance before adding, “But that’s not to say an exception couldn’t be made for my wedding finery when the time comes for such things.”

Michi smiled almost wickedly. “Oh, yes. Put it all over your headpiece.” At the astonished look he received, he laughed. “What? You’re from an important Family! Why not add lace to the flowers and jewels and pins and whatnot a bride wears on her head?”

Keiko shook her head and smiled. “I think our elders were very wise when they decided we should wed. And I am beginning to believe that my mother will have no worries about my happiness.”

“Good.”

They took some notice of the events happening around them — Daxia’s arrival, Dominic’s arrival, Emerald’s arrival — but Michi had another question before Daxia began her... ritual? Ceremony?

“Miss Tomomi, Keiko tells me that you are able to find a place you’ve been before with ease. Would you...” He hesitated, looking at Keiko for an instant before turning back to her Forever Friend. “If I were to invite you to my parents’ wagon, would you be able to find it even if we move on in our journey? It would ease my heart a great deal to know that Keiko is doing well in her journey.”

Keiko’s eyes went wide, and she bit her lip. To have such a thought and speak it aloud was audacious! But she had never been particularly shy, so would a match between a bold woman and an audacious man not be flawlessly logical? She was beginning to suspect that her clever grandparents were matched by Michi’s and had taken their personalities into account at least as much as anything the Card Readers had advised.

“It would be nice to be able to send small paintings to Michi of the places I will visit,” she mused. “But would that be considered having contact with the Caravans?” she wondered aloud. “That is something I must not do.”

“If your Forever Friend only brings word that you are well, then I do not think so,” he replied. “It would be Miss Tomomi who would have contact with you and with our Caravan.”

She narrowed her eyes at him. “I believe that is escaping the spirit of the command while adhering to each word of it.”

“Only if Miss Tomomi is able to visit our wagon,” Michi noted. He glanced at one of the other couples before smiling at Keiko again. “It would make my sister jealous. Anything I can do to tease her makes me happy.”

Keiko rolled her eyes. “Now I am suddenly glad to only have an older brother.”

He shrugged and smiled unapologetically before pointing to Dominic and Emerald as they clasped hands, apparently at Daxia’s direction.

“This is more important right now — it is a time for reverent stillness rather than our usual dancing between the waves.”

Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity

She stared mouth agape at Dominic for several seconds before audibly snapping her jaws shut and shaking her head — almost as though she was trying to clear it after being knocked hard on the helm with the pommel of a sword.

“Dom Dominie, are you...” She sighed as she closed her eyes for a second. “Never mind. Clearly, you are a madman.”

She muttered something that might have been a prayer — something that only Kisa would have understood, something in which Dayala was mentioned several times — before she took a deep breath, opened her eyes and looked at the two people closest to her.

“Good evening Lady Emerald, Lady Kara,” she said as though nothing at all was amiss here. “You both look lovely. That’s Dawnview silk, isn’t it? Why yes, of course, it is! Don’t tell her I said this, Miss Mouse,” she added, knowing full well that Kisa could hear her, “but I believe you are shining with more beauty this evening than even the Heir of Allaine.”

And it was a truth even her beloved Kisa could not contest — a bride is always the most beautiful person at a wedding.

She looked over at Dominic again. “You have the strangest customs in that little village of yours, Dommie. Hello, Broke! It’s a joyful occasion just to see you again, and to see that our Lady has taken notice of you. Anything else going on here tonight only adds to that joy. And thumping our friend Dominic once more for me would multiply the joy by a fullhand.” Daxia winked at the Wolf woman before unclasping her warm Kierkegaard cloak and draping it over Morning Star’s back. “And I’m sure Verchovai Kassia will express her ire appropriately to young Lord Korie; she’s quite talented that way. Please convey my greetings to her when the scamp returns you to her side.”

Daxia patted the unicorn’s neck then. “Perhaps you’ll be happiest, Your Magnificence, standing beneath the tree over there. You’ll be far enough away from the Koromov, I’ll wager. And perhaps the young lass...” She glanced at the individual sitting cheerfully in the tree and smiled. “...will find a way to shake loose an apple or two, despite the fact that the tree looks more like a scrub oak than an apple tree. But I’ll admit to having less expertise in the topic of agriculture than Father Canna.”

The two of them stared at one another for several heartbeats. “Yes, thank you for not arguing with me,” she added with a grin.

Daxia blinked and stopped for a moment, staring at Cesare as he swung into another of the trees near Kisa and Tray.

“Hey! Cesare!” She didn’t exactly glare at him — that would have been hard to do — but she did attempt a frown. “That counts as upstaging the bride. If I’m going to prohibit the Magnificent Font of All Knowledge from doing that, it’s only fair that you refrain too, ja? Da.

“And you...” she continued, smiling and shaking a finger at her sister, “...none of that mopey ‘oh, woe, I’m so old that nobody will love me’ silliness of yours. I’m no expert in these things, but Finn’s eyes were awfully sparkly when he spoke your name. I don’t think that was indigestion.”

Then she planted her hands on her hips and addressed Dominic once more. “Do you even realize what you’re asking? No, probably not. I’ve never even been to a wedding, Dommie, so don’t expect anything as fancy — or even as dull and dreary — as the weddings one might see in that itsy bitsy teeny tiny village of yours.” She gestured to her clothing — ordinary tunics in various shades of blue, the trim matching the color of her eyes. “I’m not even wearing my robes of office. Well, no matter. You’ve asked a boon, and you know very well that it’s close to impossible for anyone to deny you anything.

“Brat,” she concluded with a smile that made the word sound more like she ought to be saying ‘dear friend’ or even ‘brother.’

She looked around at all his friends who had gathered here and nodded as she clasped her hands behind her back.

“Well, get yourself and your Best Wuff over here. I imagine there’s some sort of rule that says the bride and groom ought to be standing beside each other, nin? If there isn’t... hmm... There is now!”

While waiting for Dominic and Broke to make their way down the slight incline, Daxia looked up at the stars. Her Sisters. Was the thought so outrageous? Dayala herself watched the world during the day, and all her Children watched over the night. Any priestess of Dayala — more accurately, any Dayalan who had learned the spell — could clear away cloud cover to ensure that the world could be seen... not that such a spell was necessary tonight. But there was another spell that was appropriate.

Dominic and Emerald had wanted Dayala to witness their pledges, in the presence of the stars that were nearly as important to both of them as they were to her. That was a magic easily accomplished.

Daxia closed her eyes for a moment and whispered, “Sesht’doshka’k.” When the light showed even behind her closed lids, she opened her eyes and smiled as emotions threatened to overwhelm her. “You both came,” she whispered. “Silly me for thinking otherwise. Thank you both for witnessing and adding the light of your love, our Lady’s love, Tashka, the Mother’s love to this night, Linnette.”

Once more, the Starlord’s eyes roved over the small gathering. Shadows that were once soft and indistinct in the evening light were now the deeper shadows of full day, so bright was the light from the two invited Stars.

“The Gods and Goddesses are among us and magic is afoot.”

Although she was merely paraphrasing a common enough expression, it felt more true tonight than it ever had before. Perhaps it was yet another dimension to being a Priestess of Dayala.

The Rhoni had a magic that was more clearly felt tonight. Was it because tonight was Midwinter’s Eve? Was it because their Caravans were so close by? Did it matter? The minstrel, too, had a different sort of magic around her. It wasn’t just the magic of music either. No matter. These were Dominic’s friends and distant kinfolk. That was what mattered.

“I have been told that some folks of the Tarn solemnize this sort of relationship by leaping over a broom, which certainly seems to be an interesting balance between serious and silly. We’re outdoors, and goodness only knows where the nearest broom might be. So. No brooms!”

She crossed her arms and then tapped her chin with a finger. “Still, something is not quite right here.” Something not... quite... balanced? “Ah ha! Lord Tray, if you would step closer, I think a delightful symmetry can be achieved here.” Dazi grinned and motioned for Dominic and Emerald to face one another and clasp hands and nodded approvingly as Broke stood at Dominic’s back and Lady Kara took her place as a guard for Emerald — not that she needed a guard. Then she pointed to a spot across from her for Tray to stand.

“Oh, yes, this is much better. Dominic has his family represented by Tray, Miss Mouse has her family represented by Broke. Broke is Dom Dominie’s friend. Tray has been a true friend to Emerald. I know you love creating little whirls of chaos all over the Mainland, Dommie, but Order is so pretty!”

The Starlord became solemn then and slowly drew her sword, setting the point on the ground and resting a hand on each side of the crossguard.

“Ironsilver is not magic or magical per se, but it represents the magic of Dayala and her Children.” Perhaps she fudged a bit on the description of the metal, but it was close enough to the truth. Only those who were in Dayala’s service could truly appreciate the degree of holiness the metal represented.

“The Stars witness and the Stars participate in this ceremony. This sword was given to me by my teacher who was also my foster mother after my own mother found shelter in Krysta’s embrace. It is not only a formidable weapon but a symbol of faith — Kassia’s in me, her teacher’s in her, all the way back in Time to the moment it was first cast. It is a symbol of our faith in our Lady. It is a symbol of our reverence for our Sisters.

“Broke carries a sword of Darksteel, the symbol of mystical magic. My sister has hinted that it is a magic mightier than anything I could have ever imagined... that it is the reason some of you exist, and that it is the reason you two stand before us tonight with hearts overflowing with love.

“Dandelion carries a sword of iron, a symbol of decisiveness, of cutting through the fogs of uncertainty to reveal the truth that no magic can hide.

“This is what I believe and, thus, my Sisters and I stand around you to represent faith and magic and truth. These three things are all present in and make up the thing we call Love.” Daxia smiled crookedly at Dominic. “You’re quite clever, you know, to have gathered so many Dayalan friends.”

She closed her eyes again for a moment, allowing the Minstrel’s music and the Stars’ light wash over her. The Patterns didn’t tug at her to follow any particular Path, and so she could see that all Paths led to the same place. Nodding, she opened her eyes and looked at Emerald.

“I have been told that Krysta wishes for people, and especially Her priestesses, to live their lives with joy, to dance and sing and laugh while they are still walking the earth, despite all the obstacles we must face. Emerald, will you make a promise to always find joy with Dominic and to bring him joy?”

Emerald Mouse looked up and, for the very last time as Miss Emerald Mouse, offered a quiet answer to her Dominic.

“Ja.”

Daxia smiled at the beautiful Mouse Woman she had first mistaken for a young girl. That had been some sort of magic, no doubt. Then she looked at Dominic.

“I have been told that Arilys has said to her followers to run, to hide, to never be caught.” Daxia glanced over Tray’s shoulder in Morning Star’s direction; in doing so, her gaze crossed that of the lass sitting in the tree. Then she grinned at Dominic. “But there is a time for being caught, and you, dear Dominic are well and truly caught. Will you make a promise never to run or hide from Emerald except in jest, and remain forever caught in the warm shadows of her love?”

“Ja.”

One syllable, then silence — there was no grand flourish, no tease of words and wit, or no stories about a village too small. The girl in the tree looked like she had been caught by complete surprise, her jaw slack and her eyes as wide as saucers. Dominic just smiled.

And Daxia... well, her eyes glittered with happiness as she glanced at Kisa. Then she smiled broadly once more at the couple in front of her.

“Well, then... what else is there to say? You have declared your intent before the Deities, beside this holy wellspring, with your family, your friends, an Immortal Being, a Goddess, and the Stars themselves as witnesses.

“May you love all the days of your lives.

“May your days be long.

“And may your love last until my Lady gets bored with this whole idea of Time. She’s quite steadfast, so I suspect the astrologers would need to work out a new calendar before that happens.

“So. There you go! You’re married. Congratulations.”

She slid her sword back in its scabbard then gestured to the newlyweds. “I believe there is supposed to be some sort of kissing that’s appropriate in public. Yes, you should do that. And then one or both of you are supposed to say some magic incantation that begins with an ‘M’ and rhymes with ‘house,’ after which there will be a period of general frivolity. And hugs. Many, many hugs!”

Online Away
Lyric, on a rock, at a Hill, for a wedding, during a festival night, playing something softer and more poignant

A tale as old as time...

There is a truth in how the mind works. You like one kind of fruit above another. You sort things by shape and size and color. You have a favorite color. You look at a table of foods and judge them by your first initial senses. These things that your mind does are part of the mechanism that helps keep you alive in more dangerous circumstances. Snap decisions on instinct, preconceived opinions, gut feelings, and a bias against the unknown. At it's simplest, you do all this to understand everything your senses present to you.

Song as old as rhyme...

It is the heart and the soul that can lead you astray with regard to these things that the mind does. That is, when you prejudge something based on these categories after filtering them through emotions... fear or love. Not all berries that are pleasing to the eye and nose and tongue are safe to eat. Nor is it a wise thing to shun all berries because you know that some berries kill and you know nothing else about them. A judgement without experience or knowledge is just as harmful as a willingness to ignore the instincts.

Tune as old as song...

It takes courage to set aside fear so that love can spark curiosity. It takes wisdom to know that fear must not be ignored... and, as sure as Night balances Day and Order balances Chaos, so too must Love and Fear find a balance so that the Heart and Mind are in balance as well.

True as it can be...

Lyric stilled the layers of her magical music, releasing them like gossamer threads to drift away on the wind as the last light of She Who Has Crossed the Sky paints a darkening horizon in a glow of rich love and warmth. All that remained now was her, on that rock, playing a single thread of music while the Dayalan spoke words of binding. Both Emerald and Dominic made an Oath to each, before witnesses. This was something Lyric understood very well. It was it's own kind of magic and did not need any thing more than just an accompaniment to spread its magic far and wide.

The simple melody that she played might have sounded something like this:

Yes, perhaps something similar to this. A song of simple construct, but powerful in its beauty, using the simplicity itself to evoke emotion. Her fingers delicately plucked at the strings, and the emotion she felt in watching something she had not seen in her own village since she was a child. And, as such, it was fitting that she play one of the very first songs she learned when she was a child. Her heart's attachment to the song and the feelings she remembered when she heard it, played it, lived it gave the song life now as a backdrop for the words spoke by Daxia and the commitments made by Em and Dom. The tears she shed were her own joy. Remembering something she thought she had lost was a gift given to her by this moment, by Dom and Em.

Nothing else mattered.

The ceremony made her emotional and the song served to frame a story of two lives forever entwined. The song made her emotional because the ceremony restored a feeling and a hope she thought forever lost.

Ever just the same
Ever a surprise
Ever as before
Ever just as sure
As the sun will rise

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

As Daxia calls him out, he settles on the branch which gives him an excellent view over everyone gathered and waves back to her almost cheekily. He is happy to see her here and accorded a deference befitting her place, something that was maybe missing when she had lead them as a group. But he would never forget her. In many ways she was his inspiration. That recognition of things that were wrong, unjust, cruel, things that definitely warranted changing but also showing that courage and belief could actually move mountains and change things that had been woven into the fabric of time, so much so that most had just accepted that this is the way it is. Daxia has vision and courage. He admired her for that and for showing him that even he could play a small part in making a real difference. That is now a part of his life and had shaped him more than anything else had.

He stays in his branch, happy for Dommi & Emmi, pleased to be here to this the culmination of their story and again to have played a small part in the waves that finally deposited them both here on this day. This is their day. And he is content to observe it and maybe to play a small part in its celebrations.

Today is a good day.

Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Bordertown
The Dragonstooth Tavern

Lyric, Cesare, Bekkah, Daxia, Kisa, Keiko, Tomomi, Bluebell, Dandy, Harry, Garrick, Michi, Kara, Daxia, Morning Star, Tray, Dominic, Emerald and associated hilltop guests.

- Midwinter's Hill, at the moment of sunset.

"The Forest Rune has three sides ..."

That was Broke's noncommittal growl as she nodded to the Dayalan Verchovai and whapped the back of Dominic's head the third time.

"Hey!"

Broke just shrugged her shoulders and gave her best friend a toothy grin. The third bop was definitely a lot lighter than the first.

A very different conversation was being concluded just a little away, where Tomomi spoke with Keiko and Michi.

"Well, lace should be! It's pretty and light and can be simple and fancy and, and, and, and..."

Tomomi's small nose wrinkled as she thought and concentrated.

"It shows that someone cares. And for that caring, there has to be a someone behind it, and that helps that someone remember that they can do something nice in a world that is very often not very nice. And that maybe, maybe one day, something nice will happen to them too."

The little Mouse-girl turned then, as Keiko reminded them the true reason they had gathered together. Tomomi looked to the two who stood with her and then at the two they had been gathered to share this night with. Her look was dreamy, wistful, a little sad, but sad in a very happy hopeful way.

... maybe one day.

And if for a Mouse, maybe for Lady Bekkah too.

- Midwinter's Hill, a little while after sunset.

Emerald Mouse-Korie took a half step forward.

Dominic smiled, smiled and did something very strange. Without a word he reached out and placed a single finger on the center of his bride's chest, holding her at that little distance apart. Emmi looked a bit surprised until she tilted her head, met Dommi' gaze and nodded. In response, Dominic just turned his head and nodded, once, to the Guardian besides him.

"I need my Best Wuff right now ..."

Broke blinked.

"I am NOT ... oh wait ... ja ..."

The girl in the tree giggled.

Broke, however, put on her fiercest look and strode over to Tomomi. It was her turn to look confused because she knew that Broke would never hurt her but why was the wuffess looking so serious? That was answered when Broke reached down and very firmly covered up both of Tomomi's ears. That made everything perfectly clear.

Dominic met Emmi's happy gaze and whispered a single word.

"Mouse."

Tonight and forever more there was only one Mouse for him.

Then it was his turn to be surprised. Not that he suddenly had an armful of Emerald, that was expected from a Mousing, but that he was the one being kissed first, deep and long and most certainly not the other way around. Kisa blushed deeply as she watched the couple embrace - this was most certainly not a chaste appropriate for public view kind of kiss but then again this was Dominic Korie, her childhood friend, at his happiest.

So how could she not be happy?

So she let the stone tiles fall.

One shy girl shared a small but so very honest grin with her most precious friend, and she was. Happy.

The perfect moment was broken by three simple words.

"Where's the beer?"

Of course the most pragmatic of them was Captain Dandelion Koromov. Her brows raised, however, when both Dominic and Emerald decided to ignore her.

"Louse! Where's the beer!"

Ignored.

"Dominic Dominie Korie!"

Fine. Dominic freed one arm and pointed in the general direction of the top of the hill.

There, just beyond the crest was a collection of interesting things. No wonder Dominic wasn't to be found earlier in the day. He had been a busy lordling. There was a good sized barrel of Rory's Amber beer. A pair of smaller casks with fancy, far away runes upon them. Keko would recognize them and they would even feel a bit familiar to Cesare - from his vague childhood memories. Wine from the orchards of Trundle-On-The-Hill. Warm bread, cheeses galore, some hanks of roast beast, and one really big slab of meat obviously set aside for a certain Best Wuff.

Finally, bride and groom, husband and wife, came up for air.

Emmi rested her head upon Dominic's shoulder and smiled to Lyric.

"Dominic promised me magical music - thank you so very very much."

The brat nodded to Daxia.

"Who cares about silly songs. This we will remember forever.

"That's why it had to be you."

It was the girl in the tree who chose then to interrupt.

"There's something missing.

"Well besides hugs!"

She smiled at the Rhoni gathered. The Younglings looked back and forth and back and forth between each other until one of the girls jabbed one of the boys in the ribs. The boy blinked and spoke up.

"Dancing! Minstrel please!"

The black haired girl smiled in approval.

"Dancing. I love dancing! I never ever get to dance! Well, sometimes I do ..."

She gave Lady Kara an odd look.

"... though that's kind of creepy.

"I'm going to dance with everyone!"

She hopped down from her tree and looked to the imperious laddie who had been sent to stand beneath her tree.

"Starting with you, Sir Snooty-horn!"

It was supposed to be a party after all.

- Talantal Orchards, sunset, years from now.

Marcus Korie was Khorall now. And that was good. He, the previous Khorall, had taken a hint from the Allaines and let his son take his place when he was ready, not when he had grown jealous of an old dying man.

Old he now was and gray but he definitely did not want to die. Not for a long while more. Dorian, now plain old Dorian Korie walked the apple orchards and realized how lucky he was, to have this time. He closed his eyes as two children raced between the trees. They were playing a game called 'Best Treasure Ever'. It had been invented by the girl. She was the image of her mother and he still could not believe how pretty she was; green eyes, silver hair and ears and a tail that he could not even imagine her not having. The lad she ran back and forth with was her cousin. A year younger, but even so, the lad would be the one to grow up and rule these lands.

He could also not even imagine a world where the two children would not be the best of friends. How did he manage to teach them that?

Dorian Korie smiled.

Eyes closed he remembered that day, years ago, when Dominic had asked his blessing for his marriage. It was not Dominic's words that had convinced him. It was hers.

"I am just a Mouse. But my whole life has been a journey to prove my worth, my reason for being. If you welcome me into your Family, you can be assured, for all your long days, that I will strive my best to prove my worth to you and yours."

He had laughed and said that was a shallow promise. That he was an old man, life almost finished, with but few years left ahead of him, so such a promise had very little worth. But then the priestess of Krysta - he had forgotten that this girl was indeed Her Priestess - looked him in the eyes.

"My Lady says to tell you this. Some men are born into this world with a task to do and may not leave it until it is finished. You are one such man. And while you may think your work here is finished, it is not. That task, the one that truly fits your soul, has not even begun."

When he opened his eyes, he looked down at the lad, who looked back up with the widest smile.

With a whumf the girl hopped - he didn't think he'd ever get used to that - into being behind him, wrapping her arms around his legs in the warmest and so innocently passionate hug.

"Got you! Best Treasure Ever, Grandfather!"

Last edited by Wolf; Sat 21/05/22 03:21 UTC.
Online Away
Lyric of Kethy's Woods... or was it Faraway Hills? Or, was it right here at Midwinter's Hill that she called home? Even if for just a night...

"The honor and privilege is mine," Lyric replied with a deep nod of her head. There need not be any more words than that from the Minstrel. Her task was complete, the Quest resolved, the Heroes victorious... and now, all that was left was for a Song to be written.

She moved through the gathered folks, smiling and wondering, but there was no particular thing that kept her attention for anything longer than few moments. The Magnificent Black Unicorn. A rare creature and a portent of good tidings. And there was Tray Korie, rakish in his own way and handsome as well. It had been some time since she had those kind of thoughts though and maybe a couple moments of thoughts became three or four before she found Bluebell twisting and turning and trying to see everything there was to see this evening, all at once. Lyric swept her up in her arms, twirling her around in a circle beneath the stars. What was the fascination that Lyric found in Blue? But even this too had to shift and change as Lyric set the girl down so she could go her way while the Minstrel went another. Before the night would end though she would find the girl again, just to hear her tell a story so that Lyric could 'see' it through Blue's eyes and remember when she was young as well, before life became so complicatingly uncomplicated... or whatever that means.

The Rhoni teens gathered the Minstrel into their 'realm' on this evening with the request of music. There was a hint of mischief in the Minstrel's eyes though and she wagged a finger as she leaned forward a bit to look at them all, turning as she did.

"Ohh... No, it is not so simple. Tonight, in this wondrous place we will have 'session'. Do you know what that is?" Before any could answer, the Minstrel continued because the center of the performance was hers to command right now. "In my village, so far away from here, maybe as far as Far Away Hills I have been told, we gather around with our instruments. It doesn't matter what anyone plays, or even if a person just joins us to clap their hands. We play music and we enjoy good fun and good company, and others might join to dance... and our session might become a party... There is an older word, very old, timeless that my people remember... Ceili... a dance or a party to celebrate, such as a festival like this. Ja?"

Lyric slipped the Mandola around from her back again, "So, I will play some but you will also have a task... as that is only fair. Anyone who has a whistle or something small, since it looks like none brought anything with strings or a drum to beat for the rhythm of the soul... It doesn't matter though. Join me now over there by those small rocks where we can gather... I will play and you will dance... BUT, remember, I want you to help me. Some will dance and some will help me with rhythm, clap your hands, just whistle along. Maybe you know a song you want to hear. Tell me how it goes, sing it, whistle it, and then we will play. Some will dance, some with clap... Take turns. Fun for everyone. But most importantly, it's your job to make this night fun for me too. If I am having fun, then I am inspired. I want you to be my best audience ever. That sounds fair, Ja?"

Lyric turned as if to address those others who had found their way here to witness the spectacle of love and happiness. "You are welcome to dance and be merry, because Music is meant for everyone to enjoy in whatever way you can and in whatever way you wish. There is no coin to pay the Minstrel this night. Nin. No one in the session will take money. That is not why we are here. BUT, if you wish to hear a particular tune that stirs your heart, or might impress a friend to hold your hand, maybe favor you with a dance, then you could offer a mug of something from the kegs, so we don't have to leave our session circle... We must keep the whistles wet and the fingers limber, Ja?"

"Come, Let us play, and sing, and dance..."

OOC: this music might serve as a backdrop for other conversations by other players and other NPCs. I will add more to this and I will see what opportunities present themselves

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

He is very tempted to go and join the dancing. He loves to dance, takes joy in it whether he is any good or not, matters little really. But the closeness of his kin, unknown kin, is tugging at him in a way he can't explain.

"I can't fulfil my promise to you Ma.. but maybe this is a step in the right direction?"

He whispers the words softly on his breath, missing his Ma more just then than he had allowed himself for a while.

"Hope I do you proud."

He pushes off with his hands and jumps lightly onto the grassy floor. He had already spotted Keiko with a young man, he presumes Rhoni by his dress, and so heads in their direction, hoping he isn't interrupting anything. Now he is in motion, he feels excited but at the same time fearful, having no idea what to expect.

He smiles as he approaches the couple.

"Keiko, kinswoman, I would ask a favour of you. There are Rhoni here.."

He nods amiably to Keiko's companion.

"..and I would like to know them but have little idea as to the correct approach. Could you perform introductions for me?"

Said now, no going back, his nervousness increases.

Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity

Keiko started when Lyric spoke. “I know that word,” she said, barely above a whisper. “It is old indeed. It is older that Caer Maeyin, for it is of the same language as ‘caer’ itself.”

She gave Lyric an odd look but then laughed lightly. “Ah, Friend Lyric, it would appear that we have neglected to bring our instruments. Had the Young Master given us any hint that we should be prepared for a Performance...” She shrugged and noted the look on Michi’s face. “Hai?”

“Young master?”

“Oh, that is the human folk’s name for Dommi,” Tomomi replied. “The folks we trade with on Marketday! We like to call him that too.”

“Ah,” he replied, still confused but willing to accept it.

Keiko giggled and then smiled at Cesare’s approach. Nodding, she said, “It would be my pleasure to introduce you, kinsman.

“Michi, may I present to you my friend, Lyric, a minstrel of great talent, who travel with me along the Flowered Path... and our kinsman, Cesare kha’Jasmine kha’Sayako kha’Twilight khal’Horosha Danika?

“Lyric, Cesare... this is my betrothed, Michi kha’Izumi kha’Kumiko kha’Etsuko kha’Natsumi khal’Akiyama Yuri.”

He folded his hands over his abdomen and bowed slightly to the minstrel. “An honor, Lady Minstrel.” Then he turned a bright smile on Cesare and nodded. “Welcome, kinsman! You might be Lost, but you are ever welcome among us.”

After their acknowledgments, he gestured the other Rhoni over and introduced them. “My sister Rin,” he said, nodding to the youngest of the six, “and Akira kha’Anzu kha’Yuko kha’Ayane kha’Mei khal’Jinsokawa Nanami, who is courting her this lovely evening. And my cousin Jiro kha’Airi kha’Kumiko kha’Etsuko kha’Natsumi khal’Akiyama Yuri, who is courting Haruna kha’Riko kha’Miho kha’Ayane kha’Mei khal’Jinsokawa Nanami.”

He chuckled when Keiko nudged him. “That is quite a lot to remember. Rin and Akira, Jiro and Haruna,” he added as he pointed to the other couples. Then he whispered something to his sister.

“Hai!” she said as she grinned, then took Akira’s hand and pulled him along with her. Within a few steps, they were both laughing as they ran down the hill toward the encampment.

“They will fetch some instruments,” Michi said as to Lyric. “Then we will be happy to share the task of providing music. It is something we enjoy very much.”

Then he turned to Cesare. “While I don’t doubt that Keiko told my Grandmother every thought and theory she has about your family, she only shared her adventures since leaving her Family with most of us. I know I am quite interested in learning more about the people she calls friends.”

Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity

Bekkah had been right — invoking of the Mouse Spell was something to behold! Daxia was almost entirely positive this wasn’t what Bekkah had meant, but still...

The Dayalan observed the couple almost academically, as though she was still in Khorall Linnell’s court. When she looked at Kisa, noting the Heir’s pretty blush, she returned the smile.

Interesting it was that even in the Heir’s presence, she loved her chastely. ...to love pure and chaste from afar... and from the shelter of her arms, too, it would seem.

Oddly, or perhaps not, it wasn’t something that bothered Daxia.

At Dominic’s words, she was compelled once again to shake her head. “Dom Dominie...” Then she leaned forward and hugged them both. “I still say you’re a madman. And Em, I would appreciate your delicate touch in curbing m’lord’s tendency to hurt the inside of my head. I believe my liege would prefer my sanity to remain relatively intact.”

She chuckled and stepped back as the Lady in the Tree called for music, and laughed nearly hard enough to bring tears to her eyes when She demanded a dance from Morning Star.

His eyes were bigger than she’d ever seen them, so surprised he was. He took a step and then a second step back, looked at his prospective dance partner with one eye and then the other, and finally looked at Daxia.

“The Lady asked you to dance, you dingbat! Don’t pretend you’ve suddenly become less than all-knowing.” She snickered but watched as he bowed to Her — an act Daxia had never witnessed before — lowering a knee and his golden horn to the ground before rising up and prancing — magnificently, of course, around the Lady.

She looked at Broke then. “Well, come, Wuff Sister... allow me to introduce you to the Koromov and her compatriots who do their best to curb the most excessive of the rapscallion’s tricks while in Bordertown.”

Daxia winked at Kisa as she led Broke to the rocks where the three friends were seated.

“Dandelion, Harry, Garrick... this is Broke of the Forest, currently enjoying the tutelage of Starlord Priestess Kassia Dariansdotter. Broke... these are my friends, Captain Dandelion Koromov, of the Wild Horde and our Temple Sister, Captain Harry Mohlkavin of the Heavy Horse, and Garrick, the Sheriff of Bordertown.”

She raised an eyebrow in Dandy’s direction. “I saw coin changing hands. What was the wager?” As Dandy had won the betting, she was particularly interested in what Harry and Garrick had thought Dominic had been up to.

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

"Michi"

He smiles broadly, partly due to the welcome and partly on hearing he was Keiko's betrothed. There certainly seems to be a lot of love and romance around this evening, added to with the next set of introductions.

"Rin, Jiro, Akira, Haruna."

He nods to each in turn, still smiling.

"With the exception of Keiko, you are the first Rhoni I have met since leaving my family. And I am pleased to do so."

As Michi asks to know more of him, he decides to explain his beginnings and his meeting of Keiko, at least in brief.

"I never really knew my father, Yoska kha'Jaella kha'Kizka khal'Masakta Tsura, other than his name and the vague memory from my early childhood of the time my father and mother, Jasmine kha'Sayako kha'Twilight kha'Horosha Danika, parted company. I grew up with my mother, my aunt and my uncle. Then my mother died. My Aunt and Uncle did what they could to prepare me for the world and then they too followed their own path. On my own, I moved around, eventually finding a group, lead by Daxia.."

He points her out, before turning back to michi, Keiko and the others.

"We travelled together, got into mischief once or twice, some came, some went, but eventually some of us arrived at Waverider's Watch where we met with Keiko and Lyric. A good meeting."

He smiles at both girls.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Wolf 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Talon475, Randal Trimmer, Kimf, Yvon, TennesseeBaron
177 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Member Spotlight
Gypsy
Gypsy
Pidley, Cambs, UK
Forum Statistics
Forums103
Topics2,823
Posts140,386
Members177
Most Online296
Jan 19th, 2020
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
†Restricted forums can only be accessed by DreamLyrics members of the age of 18 years or older. Access which is granted by the Behind Closed Doors Procedure.
™DreamLyrics Play-by-Post. DreamLyrics Play-by-Post does not own copyright on DreamLyrics texts or graphics, except trademarked DreamLyrics logos and logotypes. The works contained in DreamLyrics are copyrighted (automatically, under the Berne Convention) by the original authors and may be available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence. (See Copyrights for details.)
Privacy Policy