... there is something in this world which no one has ever seen ...

I was starting to make some greek chicken, and so I turned on the tv for background during cooking, and there it was on the Netflix queue.

Toradora!

Forget Smallville, Riverside, Degrassi, My So-Called Life ...

This is the show that perfectly captures high school. So, fine, there's no superpowers, well unless you consider looking too much like your yakuza father or having the school's shortest temper superpowers. And yes, it's a high school romance show.

But here's the difference.

Toradora! gets it right.

It is a completely character-driven story, as tangled as high school really and truly was, with all its ups and downs, not the high school as we'd like to remember it to be, but as it actually was, from overwhelming to awkward, all in one and often all in one day. Heartwarming and tearjerking and often just plain confusing.

Someone else, a you tube reviewer named Riyoga, described Toradora best:

"You know, I could go through every single episode of Toradora! and analyze the crap out of it, but it doesn't change the fact that there's one main reason I love this show so much: Toradora! gets what love is. We're taught growing up, especially in the West, the love is this "Prince & Princess" kind of thing, with "soul mates" and, how you're bound to meet "The One." While that can happen, in actuality, love is this big, weird, confusing, wonderful mess, where anything can happen. Toradora! understands that you're just as likely to find love that's been right next to you the entire time, and while it's no dragon-slaying knight and princess, that doesn't make it any less grand, strong, or beautiful."

It's about relationships, how they change, how they develop, how they never quite end up as you expected.