So, please tell me
In these shining lights, there's a place where we'll fit in...

I was waiting for breakfast to heat up which meant I had a few moments, so I tapped on the TV, and then I was smiling.

Brand New Animal is finally on Netflix.

This is Studio Trigger's newest show, and the one that everyone was waiting for when it premiered in Japan several months ago. First, it's Studio Trigger, so you know each episode will be better and more intriguing as you build to the end. Second, it's Studio Trigger, which means ...

Fine.

BNA is acknowledged as Trigger's most serious show. Without pulling punches this is a story about prejudice, racism, race superiority, and acceptance and this results in a pretty revealing mirror of the world about us. Even the breather episode - the traditional baseball game - has grim underpinnings.

... and yet, did you know that you know that an evil bad guy can be dribbled - yes basketball dribbled - as one explains matters to the cops?

Despite how serious the situation was, I had to chuckle.

Lurking in the background is Trigger's trademarked goofiness. These guys want to remind you that you are supposed to enjoy what you do, and making animation shows should be no exception. The main character, Michiru, is an absolutely adorable and awkward teenager and my gosh, talk about character development! The most human - and humane - of the show's cast her growth as she learns to accept who she is, to recognize not only her own shortsightedness but her own self worth and the worth of others is the heart of the show.

And it takes every single episode to get from here to there.