Eye of the Dragon
DreamLyrics Play-by-Post
Who's Online Now
3 members (KenSeg, Barry Mulvihill, Pandemonium), 35 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Dice Roller
You will need to enable Javascript in order to view the Dice Roller.
Games Recruiting List

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
#992587 Fri 05/06/20 00:33 UTC
Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
DM
Darathra

She saw the last, suviving orog twitch. That was too much for her to take and with one, swift, smooth swing she lopped off it's head. Blood splashed on her boots from it's neck. She sneered at her misfortune, then realized that she had been fighting in mud anyway. So she smirked and wiped the blood and mud off her boots on the orog's lifeless body and then cleaned her blade similarly. Satisfied, she called out in a voice of authority, "Are they all dead?"

Nods and calls of "Aye" confirmed that the battle was over. Sometimes living to fight another day is a win and on this day, that was was important. She surveyed her town and saw smoke rise from the shops and homes that had the nisfortune of being in the path of the attackers. Some were still ablaze, set afire by the touch of the magmin. Several townsfolk up the street lay dead. Nearby, some of those who stepped up to defend it lay broken in the street. She had seen Urlam Stockpool get hit by a bolder that the giants had hurled his way. A man that she recognized stimbling out of the Talking Troll one night was tending to him. It looked like he actually knew what he was doing, and she saw him pray and Urlam stir. Perhaps that drunk was a priest? She was fine with that surprise. Further up she saw Ghelryn Foehammer, the smithy. He tried to take on all of the attackers by himself. She prayed he could still be saved. She called out to the priest that had tended to Urlam as she ran towards the dwarf. "Healer!"

OOC: A lot going on this weekend. Might as well let you chime in. With buildings on fire, Several are dead or wounded. Dead enemies lie in the street. I think you have enough to get started with.

Last edited by Neptune; Sat 06/06/20 17:40 UTC.

-Nep
M
M
<Bern>

It seemed clear that the combat was over. He looked around and saw the devastation, but particularly the fires. Fire was a particular menace to the town since so many of the buildings were wood. He moved to help extinguish those fires.

MikeD
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

"Perhaps we should form a chain to get water to the fire? Where is the nearest source?"

She looks around fully intending to be at the water end. She is happy to help save what she can but she does =NOT= like fire.

Chaotic Obfuscator
Online Content
Chaotic Obfuscator
Sindar

First help with the wounded. Then the fires or any other way he can assist.

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Zhu

She is relieved when the decision is taken out of their hands and the Fire Giants flee. She was not confident at all that the group could have won a pitched battle had they chosen to stay, but she does respect their integrity in sticking it out to the end.

She nods to the man with the Trident symbol as he heals the Dragonborn, Kriv. She had not teleported to him because she knew he was a healer but rather because it was a safe spot to take the unconscious Kriv to, and Davroar, the healer she knew of, was outside the range of her magic. "Zhuirentel Elendaril", she introduces herself to the man. "Many thanks for helping my friend."

Standing, she removes her hand from Kriv's shoulder and sees the last of the remaining foes falling. Several townsfolk are down and there are fires burning here and there in the village. She has no ability to heal, herself, but she can help carry the wounded to those who can so she moves off towards the nearest wounded person to see what she can do.

nem Online Away
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Online Away
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Arus

He props his shield up against the fence, glad to reliquish its weight.

His trident is somewhere down the street where he threw it.

Arus runs his sword through a rag as he sheathes it and summons his most charming grin for Zhu.

"My name's Arus... Arus Ahlorsath.

"If I'm not mistaken we all saved each other in that fight, probably more than once."

Hearing the cries of wounded and voices of dismay now rising elsewhere around town, Arus is sure he isn't done saving lives yet.

He can bring back at least two from the brink by touch alone.

And he hustles to do so, even though his own body feels like a giant hurled a boulder at it.

AJ Offline
Kriv

The Dragonborn scowled bitterly at the retreating Fire Giants, arcane power crackling at his clawtips for a moment before subsiding as he let his arm drop.

"Thieves. Right now, they're getting away with it, I'd be unable to keep pace. Next time we'll account for their speed. I am in debt to you both and will make good upon that at your earliest convenience and terms, I can recommend taking on a maximum of only one giant at a time. Property damage, vandalism... the good order of this town lies in tatters, and all as cover for base banditry and robbery. I got a decent look at what they stole, but that is cold comfort in the face of the rebuilding needed."

Administrator
Administrator
Davroar

He lets loose his last lightning strike at an Orog, but stops as the giants flee the town. Looking for any enemy stragglers, when no more are visible he looks to where the fire is and then up into his storm cloud to see if he can wring out some rain to perhaps help with the fires.

If no rain is possible he will dispel the cloud and will help out any nearby with a few of his healing spells.

Last edited by Dugan; Thu 11/06/20 07:13 UTC.
Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
DM
The town of Triboar gets busy trying to recover from the attack on it. There were wounded to heal, fires to put out and sadly, dead to be buried. The help offered by the visitors that came in with the caravans was quite welcome but there was little time for pleasantries. The charred remains of several commoners were found inside the ruins of their cottages. All up the the Long Road, from the town square north, fires were still burning. Darathra Shendrel, the Lord Protector, directed activities and those who were keen to the requirements of leadership could tell much about her from the way that she handled the responsibility. The was commanding without being condescending and showed empathy and compassion in doing so. She cajoled the fearful to come out of hiding to help their neighbors.

Ghelryn Foehammer stirred as the blessing of Helm flowed through Silvaren Loomshank into the dying dwarf. The smithy gasps for air and that put a smile on the priest's face. Ghelryn and Urlam Stockpool would survive today's encounter but others did not. Urgala Meltimer, the proprietor of the Northshield House, where most had stayed, had set up a first aid station outside of the inn with the helpf of Silvaren. Darz Helgar, the campground caretaker, with help rounded up by Urlam Stockpool the manager of the Triboar Travelers could muster, began the task of removing the bodies of the attackers from the campgrounds and trying to set things in order there. While their shops were unharmed, Othovir, the harness-maker and Narth Tezrin from the Lionshield Coster, work together to help other shop owners that have had their business attack, put out fires and clean up the mess.

The horsemen that Darathra had sent south galloped back into town but by then the fire giants had disappeared from view. Some, however, seeing the fires in the distance did not stop in town but raced towards their ranches. It was not long before word of destruction and death at those ranches became known. In all, a half dozen people had died in the attack.

Even with everyone pitching in, it still took the town much of the rest of the day to return to some semblance of order. All through the afternoon, you were thanked by many of the residents and shopkeepers for your assistance, without which many of them would have perished. And those who you fought alongside, hinted that you should talk to them later, in more private times, in their shops or where they spent most of their time.

OOC: Sorry for the delay. I've been working on the game but sometimes that doesn't translate into posts right away.

-Nep
M
M
[[ no worries. We will be here when you get there <weg> ]]

MikeD
nem Online Away
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Online Away
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Arus

If his healing power isn't desperately needed, he saves it, and after taking a foot patrol of Triboar's outer limits he pulls up a pew and a pint at The Troll.

Arus doesn't walk around tending to wounded, or clearing wreckage. That's not his job or the best use of his time.

A quarter-hour's rest gives him time to service his gear and take stock. The town has just suffered a highly co-ordinated attack by a combined arms force. An effective distraction had drawn away the town's militia to the south, providing an opening for the raid. The fire giants employed a shielding force of axebeak-riders, orogs and magmin to cover their objective, recovery of a metal artefact from under the field.

This attack wasn't off the cuff., it took planning, resource gathering. Time to manoeuvre the pieces into place.

By the time he's finished his pint, Arus has decided on his next move.

He seeks out Bern and Sindar, then Zhu and Kriv and any of their companions.

Gathering around the hole the giant's dug up, he explains his thoughts as above, ending with:

"The townsfolk don't think these fire giants were local. I agree. Whatever was in this hole brought them here, and was worth killing and dying for.

"My plan is to form a party, pursue this lead where it takes us. Find the artefact and more importantly its purpose.

"And I plan to start with a visit to the Lord Protector."

Arus looks at these men, women, and draconian. They fought well during the battle, showing marvellous yet terrible abilities. He wants them on his side.

"I am Arus Ahlorsath. Will you join me?"

M
M
<Bern>

He listened to Arus' ... presentation. He nodded at the end. He wanted to get some 'pay back' against those giants. He looked at his friends to see what they thought.

MikeD
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Zhu

She listens quietly, not immediately responding. Their group was here seeking information about the dagger they'd found in hopes it might lead them to the Doppelganger, and thru it to it's master. That might, or might not, have anything to do with the Fire Giant raid. Besides that, she has her own mission given her by the head of the Spellguard in Silverymoon.

How any of these things might align, or misalign, she has no idea, so she waits to hear what the others choose to do first.

Chaotic Obfuscator
Online Content
Chaotic Obfuscator
Sindar

He listens and considers his pointed eared head nodding at appropriate times. When asked for his thoughts he offers "I too am interested in whatever it was that drew them here. Obviously it was important and in my opinion it has a history, otherwise, they wouldn't' have known about it. I agree that we should see what we can learn here, and the Lord Protector is a good place to start. I would be willing to pursue the foes as well." He wasn't sure where this would lead but it is something that he wants to investigate.

Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
DM

As Arus approaches the Talking Troll, he sees it's a mess. It caught fire during the attack. Kaelen Sarssir, the proprietor is helping in the efforts to put out the last flames.

[ooc: Sorry, y'all should've asked.]

-Nep
AJ Offline
Kriv

The Dragonborn noble listened intently as Arus outlined his considerations.

"I hight Kriv Norixius, of Norixius Keep. I am indebted to you, but in any case I'm inclined to agree with your stated plan of action. We are dealing with an intelligent adversary commanding considerable resources and a greater awareness of local history than everyone surprised by their objective here. We do have some other matters that duty compels us to attend, but that should not be incompatible with opposing this looming threat to peace and order."

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

Well it seems like they are going then. She shares a look with Davroar to see if he is happy with this choice. To be honest she is interested, she'd like to know what that hunk of metal was. Something important she'd guess.

Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
DM

As Arus approaches the Talking Troll, he sees it's a mess. It caught fire during the attack. Kaelen Sarssir, the proprietor is trying to put the of last flames out there. He sees Arus and begs for his help both to clean up and to help him raise money to rebuild the place. It appears that the place will need to close down until funds can be raised to rebuild it. "I suppose most of the drinking will be done down the street at the Triboar Arms for a while," Kaelen says.

Urgala Meltimer had set up and Silvaren Loomshank are at the Northshield house, where you stayed. Urgala sough out Kriv, who she remembered and saw fighting bravely against the giants. "You were very brave today. I thank you and your friends. Come later and we will talk." She does not add much now, seeming not to want to talk out in the open.

Narth Tezrin had been seeking out Arus. There was much work to be done at the Lionshield Coster. It remained untouched by the attack but many of the caravan wagons that had been waiting to unload their wares were destroyed. It was easy for him to find the blue-skinned man in the crowd. Even though he had fought bravely, as he moved through the crowds, Narth was the subject of sneers and evil glances by many of the townsfolk. In what has become quite evident, the people of Triboar dispised him because he worked for the Lionshield Coster, and that only because the operations of that trading company were based out of Yartar. It had nothing to do with Narth or Alaestra Ulgar, his business partner.

It was imposible to not pay attention to the dwarf. Ghelryn Foehammer was fuming at the town's failure to kill the giants. Joining those in the north campground, he took personal blame for not stopping the giants. There was no calming the dwarf before he was done using his hammer to insure that every last orc and orog was dead. The tirade drew pained looks from many that thought his actions are excessive and unnecessary. There were many that complained he was making a bigger mess by splattering brains all about. Two of them, Darz Helgar and Urlam Stockpool were working to clean up the campgrounds. Darathra stopped them, "Let him blow off some steam. Look up the street, do you see the smoke rising from his shop?"

Arus then decided to hold court. As people gathered around the spot where the giants were digging. The discussion turned to forming some kind of search party. Darathra Shendrel, the Lord Protector of Triboar stepped forward, in front of Urgala Meltimer who she was with and takes over the discussion in a commanding manner. She starts off by thanking those that fought this day "You all have my gratidude for today. This town would not have survived without your assistance. That means all of you. I appreciate these offers but the first matter of business is to secure the town."

To answer that, Urlam Stockpool, the one-eyed Zhent spoke up quickly. "Yes, m'lady. I have two dozen guards whose time I will donate until they need to leave with a caravan. They will set up a perimeter around the town itself to warn of a follow-up attack." He waved and a group of men and women, all armed to the teeth, all wearing similar black cloaks approached. To those that knew, those were the colors of Zhentarim mercenaries. They stood in three straight lines, an indication of training and order.

"That is a good start! Thank you Urlam for your generosity. Your assistance is appreciated by the town. You guards will report directly to the Twelve."

Since Darathra, the Lord Protector was now speaking, townsfolk were gathering around. This was no longer a private conversation by any means. Dozens of folks were within earshot and one could be heard calling out "I betcha it's those Yartarians makin a deal with the giants!" which was followed by other similar catcalls. Somehow the discussion was turning ugly and one woman threw a tomato at Narth which then started a scuffle that was quickly put down as the Twelve, started to ride into the crowd, careful to not hurt anyone but separating Narth from the rabble.

Just as the craziness was calmed, Darz Helgar, the campground caretaker started to stare at Bern. As Bern notices him, the old man approaches Bern and says, out loud "What are you doing back here? You were on your way to YARTAR two days ago? What do YOU have to do with all this?" Then Narth approached and had that same quizical look in his eyes.

"I never forget a face!" he said. The crowd started to get agitated once again and the the Lord Protector took command once again. "EVERYONE! Get back to work NOW!" Then she pointed to those that spoke up and had fought by her side as well as to Narth, Darz, Ghelryn and Urgala to come up to her office. She then invited Kriv, Jaliera, Davroar, Bern, Sindar, Zhu and Arus.

"We need to discuss this matter in private!"

-Nep
M
M
<Bern>

He resisted the urge to strike the stupid townsman ... and seriously considered leaving this place to defend itself! It was clear to him that most of these people were as dumb as they came. The giants =clearly= had a fixed objective ... to get what ever it was that they 'dug up' ... nothing to do with the town beyond it being 'in the way'.

But before he could get 'on the trail', the Lord Protector intervened. He shrugged and accepted the invitation. It might mean additional coin and he could use some of that.

MikeD
Chaotic Obfuscator
Online Content
Chaotic Obfuscator
Sindar

He kept his own counsel and said little. He knew that the giants got what they wanted, so likely wouldn't be back any time soon. More interestingly though was the comment that Bern had been there before. That would be a discussion. Sindar had an idea of what might have happened, whoever it was that they were seeking might have used a disguise to appear as Bern. The Lord Protector was right though, this should be discussed in private. The townspeople were too angry and couldn't do anything about what had happened so they were looking to take their anger out on almost anyone.

AJ Offline
Kriv

A fractious mob was the last thing they needed, and a private discussion somewhere indoors seemed eminently sensible. He held from further counsel until it could be given privily.

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Zhu

She turns her head, quirking an eyebrow at the comments that Bern had been here several days back. They'd heard that exact same thing before, and it only re-enforces that they are on the right trail, presuming the group still intends to run the Doppelganger down. Hard to know as it seems they've changed priorities from the conversation she's listened to. In any case it certainly would be best to discuss this in private so she just nods and follows.

Administrator
Administrator
Davroar

It almost looked like it was going to turn into an ugly brawl until the horsemen rode in and the Lord Protector got everyone to calm down again. He had instinctively moved closer to Jaliera when things were not looking good, but thankfully cooler heads prevail as he releases his inadvertently held breath and quietly says to her, "Sure didn't want to get caught in a middle of another fight."

Not being the brightest flower in the garden the comments to Bern confuses him for a moment.

"How could Bern already been here...", he says almost to himself.

Then a light turns on and Davroar figures the doppleganger from the mine, disguised as Bern was here. That means they are on the right track, and going by what that old man said it was heading to Yartar. Yet now they are being asked to privately meet with the Lord Protector, and he is not sure what more they might be asked of. Nonetheless, when it looks like Bern, Kriv and the others accept the invitation he gives a reassuring smile to Jaliera and says, "Might as well see what the Lord has to say?"

nem Online Away
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Online Away
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Arus

Well, The Talking Troll had burn down before it fell down. Maybe if Kaelen rebuilds it he could include a full roof.

Of course, the triton would like to offer reassurances, pledge his aid and support to the barkeep, but that's a job for the townsfolk of Triboar. If they value Kaelen's contribution to their community so little, maybe he should change tack.

Arus has giants to track down. Likewise, he has completed his job for the Lionshield Coster so bids Narth adieu.

Narth bears the brunt of the town's fear and confusion now, but in time folk will see reason, and then they might just decide they should buy a new sword or spear. What arms dealer doesn't profit in a conflict? The Coster will be fine.

So Arus follows the Lord Protector, ready to chart a new course in the Savage Frontier.

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

She still has a job to do but concern about the giants is also on her list. She smiles as Davroar moves closer to her. It is nice that they can look out for each other and she nods to his quiet comment.

"The last one was pretty intense. Yes, no harm in listening."

She had caught the comment to Bern. Not going to comment out here, this is their group's business. She glances up at Whisper, making sure she is still around and sends a mental request to stay on watch out here whilst they go inside.

Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
DM
Darathra walked to the Lord Protector's tower with a determined pace. The burly guard that was permanently there took notice and stepped aside urgently. Darathra flung the front door. open and set immediatly for the steps which she marched up stridently.

Her office occupied the entire top floor of the tower. She didn't stride over to her desk. The only chairs in the room were her seat behind the desk and two guest chairs opposite it. Instead, she moved over to a large table on the other side of the room. On the table were a number of unfurled scrolls. They were various maps. She made her way around to the head of the table, a position that placed her facing the door on the other side of the room.

The townsfolk that were invited to join meeting hustled to keep up with the Lord Protector. Ghelryn, was still wounded but he virtually ran up the steps. In there they all found a spot around the table and stood. Clearly this was protocol. If everyone cannot sit, nobody will sit.

Even before everyone found their spot, the Lord Protector began speaking, and did so in a manner that prohibited interuption.

"I do not know everyone. Introductions are in order. Let me start with me and I'll introduce those I know. I'm Darathra Shendrel, Lord Protector of Triboar. That brave dwarf is Gherlyn Foehammer, one of our local smithies," she says glancing over to the dwarf. She pauses for a moment and turns to the dwarf and asked, "Did you check on Harriet?"

He answers, "Yes, m'lady. She suffered some burns but one of the giants done kicked in a wall of Uldinath's Arms."

"I see. We'll help her get the place back in order," she said in response. It was a directive not a suggestion and by the look on the smithy's face, he seemed to agree but wasn't thrilled with the idea.

"I assmume many of you know Urgala Meltimer. Many of our guests stay at her inn. I value her experience and tactical expertise. She wasn't always an innkeeper."

She then flippantly points left to a dark-haired man that stood to her left. "This here is Narth Tezrin. He and Alaestra Ulgar run the Lion's Share." She turns to him and adds, with a sardonic grin "Sometimes it seems keeping them safe and in business is my full time job. I'm sorry about the trouble down there."

Narth just bowed his head and sighed. The way that he reacted infered that he was rather used to the attacks.

"For those of you who do not know, the rivalry between Triboar and Yartar has gone from friendly to fierce over the decades. Since the Lionshield Coster trading company is based out of Yartar, it causes problems. I think we need the Lion's Share here in town to help to grow local commerce but there are some that will have nothing to do with Yartar. I hate it when I they have an excuse to cause trouble."

Looking Narth in the eye, Darathra said "I will deal with those that troubled you today and we'll double the guard tonight. You fought bravely today. It's a pity that the tomato hurler decided to enter combat after the giants had left and with weapons that cause critical soiling damage to another's robes."

The next person that Darathra introduced was the half-elf bard that some saw play at the Talking Troll. "Sindar here is also a visitor to our town. He is a good friend and a confidant. I appreciate his counsel. Let me continue on, but when I'm done, please feel free to add more about yourself," she says to Sindar.

Finally she turns to the elderly man that recognized Bern at first. "You've probably seen Darz here tending to the campgrounds. We'll get to what you saw in a moment. And I'm curious what you know too, Narth. We'll get back to that. Now I would like to meet our other guests."

With that she turns to the rest of the folks assembled. "Once again, thank you. We won't forget your help."

She then looks at Bern with focus, almost soul penetrating gaze as she continues. "Please, introduce yourselves. I am most curious to hear about the one that everyone seems to know so well. Bern it is, am I correct?"

-Nep
M
M
<Bern>

He listened to the 'mayor' as she spoke, but frowned when he was singled out.

"I am assuming that you are referring to the doppelganger that has been impersonating me for some time now", he said with some anger showing. "We have been following this group for some tine and =MY= goal is to find and =TERMINATE= this impersonator", he said angrily.

MikeD
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Zhu

She listens intently, recording the information in her memory. As Sindar is introduced, a soft smile lifts the corner of her lips and she tilts her head in his direction. She saw him at breakfast earlier, but things had happened quickly after that and while she'd been meaning to catch up with him she had not had an opportunity to do so.

She nods to the Lady Protector, and watches passively as Bern vents some of his frustration.

Stepping into the awkward silence she offers Daratha a small bow and says, "I am Zhuirentel Elendaril, most recently of the Silverymoon Spellguard." The small bow causes the red ruby pendant she wears on her neck in the shape of a Gauntleted fist to swing slightly and catch the light. Those familiar with it's meaning would have no trouble understanding the other organization she represents.

"I had intended to call upon you at some point today, Lady Daratha. Events overtook me I fear."

Last edited by Zeim; Sun 21/06/20 21:31 UTC.
AJ Offline
Kriv

The Dragonborn noble made his introduction in turn.

"I hight Kriv Norixius, of Norixius Keep. I can vouch for my colleague not having been here prior to our arrival, and the actions and disposition of the one who wore his face are of great interest in our task of tracking them down, our principal reason for being here."

The scholar knew well the maxim of two ears, one mouth, to be used in that proportion, and so refrained from waxing lyrical about the situation beyond that. The local chain of command was to be respected, particularly given the leader was clearly leading.

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

Aware that she is small and often escapes notice, which is not always a bad thing, she steps forward.

"I am Jaliera Kassan. I have travelled with Kriv, Bern and the others.."

She waves a hand indicating those in their group.

"..for some time now. We came here seeking knowledge of the Doppleganger but are concerned about the arrival of the giants here. I am glad we could help."

Administrator
Administrator
Davroar

With really nothing more to add he simply stands, slightly bows his head, and says, "I'm Davroar, Lord Protector."

Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
DM

Darathra

She answers each of the out-of-town guests, one by one, after they introduce themselves. She makes sure to reply to each and every one. Bern was the first to speak, but after his loud and rude outburst, there was a moment of silence that was broken by Zhu. After the eladrin speaks up, Darathra says, in a calm voice the barely hides her agitation with the ranger, "I am pleased to meet you Zhuirentel. I understand that you have a responsibility and I am sure that we can discuss any requests from the Order of the Gauntlet later."

After Kriv speaks up, she responds. "Welcome Kriv of Norixius Keep. You fought bravely today and did your house honor. Your words of support of this unnamed friend of yours holds weight with me."

And finally to Davroar and Jaliera, "Greetings Davoar. Are you here too with these others? And well met Jaliera. I am glad you could help too. You speak of this Doppleganger too. I do not really understand what this is all about."

She does not reply to Bern yet. Instead, she turns her gaze to Darz, the campground caretaker, who was taken aback by Bern's comments, especially the violent tone, and says, "I would like to hear about this fellow across from you Darz, Tell us about him."

Darz

"M'lady, he was here before High Harvesttide. I know that was him. He was not with a caravan. I saw him go in and out of the campgrounds so I went up to him to find out if he was a thief. We got into a bit of a tiff but he left when I unsheathed my sword. He went away and was angry, as he is still today, as you can see. I did my job, m'lady and kept my eyes upon him, even as people flocked here for the festivities. He was in and out of the shops but I also saw him speak privately with Urlam."

Darathra

When Darz was done speaking, Darathra finally looks at Bern, "I would forgive your anger, it has been a difficult morning, but it seems that you have a quick temper. I do not understand what a Doppleganger is. From what you and your friends are saying, you claim someone is disguised as you? More important, do I understand you when you say that you came here to murder that someone?"

-Nep
nem Online Away
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Online Away
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Arus

Having introduced himself to the town earlier, he doesn't waste time with a repeat. Besides which, his business in the Savage Frontier is his own and of no interest to any land dweller.

"Mine understanding is that a doppelganger is a shapechanger, committed to an evil purpose." He adds, and knows little else about the creatures.

Arus does turn to Bern though.

"So is it you who owes me a drink or your doppelganger?" He asks with a grin.

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Zhu

She nods agreement with Arus. "Indeed. An evil being that can do more than simply take the shape of a person. It sounds like them. It even has some of their more recent memories. It would be hard for a husband to know which of two women were his wife were one of them a Doppelganger."

She glances at Bern. "My companion is understandably upset that this creature is doing evil using his name and form. This Shape Shifter murdered people in Phandelin. We intend to bring it to justice."

She pauses. "As for the earlier visit. High Harvestide you say?" She glances towards the others then back to Darartha. "Have you heard that the mine in Phandelin is reopen? These stalwarts", she waves at the others, "are the ones who reclaimed it from the Undead, Drow, Goblinkin, and the Shape Shifter. They were doing so at that time, so none of them could have been here."

Last edited by Zeim; Tue 23/06/20 13:35 UTC.
M
M
<Bern>

He held his tongue, willing to let the calmer voices speak ... for now.

MikeD
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

"The only other thing I might add m'lady, is that I have an owl companion who is currently on high in the town square. She is my ears and eyes. I would not want her mistaken for a spy."

She nods and steps back politely.

Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
DM

The Lord Protector listened the strangers and responded, "Jaliera, thank you for letting me know about your spying owl. Owls should be safe. Farmers leave them alone, especially this time of year, because they feed on pests. It will be alright."

Then, she addresses Bern, who has held his tongue.

"I see you have friends, Bern. But you have not explained why you made your murderous claim. You had a first chance. Before I give you a second chance to explain yourself, I want to hear from Narth."

She looks over to the proprietor of the Lion's Share and says, "When Darz identified the man that calls himself Bern after the battle, you said "I never forget a face. What else do you remember?"

The young Iluskan took a deep breath and looked into Bern's eyes from across the table. "Well m'lady. First, thank you for the protection from the mob. I have tried very hard to do good for the town of Triboar and ..."

At this point, Darathra raises her arm to interrupt him, "Yes, yes. Now, get on to Bern."

Slightly flustered, the Narth continues. "It was even before Darz said he was here. I saw him five or six days ago in our shop. He was purchasing some wares for an expedition, I assumed. But I am very sure it was this man, or someone that looks exactly like him. He was even wearing the same garments! He came in, dropped a few gold, and left. I assume he shopped elsewhere in Triboar, but I definitely remember him from then."

"So Bern," the Lord Protector said as she looked at the bowman, "We all know about the mines being open, but what murder do you and your friends refer to? And what murder do you have in your heart?"

-Nep
M
M
<Bern>

"The =only= murder in =my= 'heart' I am saving for that vermin who has been impersonating me ... ruining my name", he said with some of his frustration showing.

MikeD
AJ Offline
Kriv

Making absolutely sure not to speak out of turn, choosing his moment carefully and in accordance with decorum, the erudite noble addressed Narth's testimony.

"The wares the doppelganger purchased," commented Kriv quietly, "would one of them be this dagger here?"

Holding the pieces in a way that offered neither threat nor offence to those present, the Dragonborn continued,

"We have numerous eyewitnesses who can verify the man standing here before you had no opportunity whatsoever to get to where this weapon broken in the course of an attempted crime was found, and the markings on it, with which we are on the whole not entirely familiar, led us here in the first instance."

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Zhu

Once Kriv finishes, she answers the Lord protector's question. "This Doppelganger was part of a band working for a Drow who named himself the "Black Spider". While they were in the Mines of Phandelin they murdered the Dwarf Tharden Rockseeker, brother to Nundro and Gundren Rockseeker."

nem Online Away
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Online Away
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Arus

Arus is considered something of a blunt instrument by his superiors, but he's sharp enough to know when to shut up and listen and this is one of those times. Finally he's learning of the events in Phandelin.

Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
DM

Narth took the dagger from Kriv and started to examine it, turning it over to look at the markings.

"Yes. This was bought from us. And I believe that Bern was the purchaser...at least the thing that you claim is impersonating him."

At this point, Ghelryn Foehammer, enters the conversation, "You are all too young to remember, but there was trouble here once before because of a shape changer. Gondyl Ilitheeum used to own Everwyvern House before Draven Millovyr. Gondyl was a doppelganger. She had been chased out of Triboar before I came but the talk in town said she was trying to get others like her here to take over Triboar."

Urgala then sneered, "Draven is not much of an improvement!" which caught Darathra's attention who let the proprietor of the Northshield House know that her commentary did not land well with a caustic glare. Urgala got the hint and shifted her statement towards the visitors, "Are you the heroes of Phandelin?"

-Nep
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

She supposes they are but has never thought herself a hero and finds it hard to own that description. She just blushes and says nothing, hoping one of the others will find the right words.

Last edited by Gypsy; Mon 29/06/20 15:14 UTC.
Chaotic Obfuscator
Online Content
Chaotic Obfuscator
Sindar

He listened as well as watched the people and the interactions. He knew the stories of things that could appear as others. He had never met anything like them. But magic had the ability to mimic many things.

At the comment of Heroes of Phandelin sounded like something he would want to learn about. It should be set into a song at a minimum. Patience was a necessary evil though he kept quiet for now.

AJ Offline
Kriv

Answering the innkeep’s question, the erudite noble clarified,

“That’s not a title we’ve sought for ourselves, but it is true our recent actions have been of great benefit to that polity and recognized as such, from restoring law and order to increasing their prosperity and prospects. As a descriptor it fits well enough. Was there some specific act of heroism you had in mind, or someone seeking individuals by that description?”

Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
DM

Darathra's eyebrows lifted slightly both at the question and then again after Kriv's answer. Evidently the group felt that the dragonborn was their spokesperson. She selected these folks to bring up here because they bravely defended the town. It appeared to her that Bern, the one that this doppelganger is impersonating, Jaliera the waif and her companion Davroar and Kriv were part of that group. Her information about that event didn't include word of an elf. That she declared herself a member of the Order of the Gauntlet explained much. In her experience many of them were fanatical vigilantes, driven by self-righteousness and some perceived divine right. Of course she would latch on to a group of heroes and demand an audience with her.

She was puzzled, also, that there was only one dragonborn. Her understanding was that there were two dragonborns that were part of the group that freed the mines. Her information about the Phandelin heroes was that there was also another human, a female cleric. She wasn't here. It was clear that Arus, the blue man, was not part of that group but he clearly had leadership abilities as the one that started ruckus in the aftermath of the battle. He was connected to the Lionshield Coster and came in on the caravan from Yartar.

She evaluated the situation and weighed options in a few scant moments and decided that she needed to know more about them but that some sort of plan needed to be formulated quickly. She raised her hand, which stopped Urgula from providing the answer. It was her responsibility.

"I will answer tour question. News does travel, especially when commerce is involved. We've been expecting the mines to start operating and, of course, we would have asked how it came to pass. So we have heard many a tale about you. It is somewhat of a surprise that you happened to come in on the first caravan from Phandelin which carried ore from the mines. I can't imagine that this is how we anticipated meeting each other."

She looks directly at Bern and says, "I can understand your frustration, if indeed you are who you claim to be." She sighs. "Sometimes one must simply place their trust in their instincts. That, I am ready to do with you and so I accept your claim. I heard stories of the shape-changers but not the name of their kind, 'doppelganger'. If there is a shape-changer amongst us, it could now be anyone, any of us. So it does not pay for me to trust you less than anyone else here."

That statement caught glares from other residents, but not the dwarf. He leaned forward, not smiling, all business and serious about what he would say next. "Aye. We can trust everyone or no one. "

His response helped the Lord Protector, and she would remember that. The nods of agreement from others confirmed it which gave her the ability now to put that aspect of the discussion behind them.

"Let us then move on to the two issues, as I see it. The doppelganger and the giants. Do you think that perhaps one has to do with the other?"

-Nep
M
M
<Bern>

His frustration mostly under control, he offered his assessment.

"I see two possibilities. One is that they =are= working together. The other is that they are competitors. There did not seem to be any 'coordination' between the two, so I am inclined to believe the second. But it could be that they planned to make it look that way, so could be easily convinced that the first is more accurate."

MikeD
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Zhu

"I don't believe in coincidences", she says simply. "Seems unusual that the Shapechanger", she uses that word since it seems they are more comfortable with it than 'Doppelganger', "passed through here and then a few days later the town is attacked by Giants looking for a particular object they just happened to know where to find?"

Chaotic Obfuscator
Online Content
Chaotic Obfuscator
Sindar

"I believe we need more information to determine causality. But I do believe that they could be related because of the nature of the relation. The giants came here and dug that bent rod up. It seemed old, and of importance. As the mines were old and of magical importance, I would suspect the rod has some sort of magical history as well.

"The question I wonder is what could it be? What is the history of this place so that we might have an idea of that? I am not sure we time to determine all that I would like to know. I think giving chase is more important. Though the giants clearly have plenty of associates to assist them in the assault, so it might not be undertaken lightly."

Administrator
Administrator
Davroar

In-line with Sindar's inquiry about the history of this place he quietly asks, "Any dwarfs or elves long-time residents here?"

Davroar figures if anyone would know it would be a long-lived resident, unless previous rulers here have kept any written records, but he kind of doubts that there would be any books as the place does not seem to be one that would attract scholarly types.

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

She looks at Zhu.

"No, I don't believe in coincidences either."

Good question from Davroar. They might learn more this way.

She looks over at Sindar. She had thought last night that she had seen him before. Now she is sure of it. She just needs to remember when. Then she realises she is staring.

Chaotic Obfuscator
Online Content
Chaotic Obfuscator
Sindar

If he noticed her staring, he didn't make an obvious sign. Maybe he was concerned about her feelings, but he did turn enough so that she might see the scar on his cheek.

nem Online Away
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Online Away
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Arus

Arus isn't a long-time resident of Triboar, the Savage Frontier or land in general, so he has nothing to contribute to their threadbare intelligence. In his role, he tends to rely on allies feeding him intelligence so that he can action it in the name of the Protectorate.

"So we need a loremaster who knows the history of Triboar and the surrounds." He says, more or less repeating Davroar's notion.

"Darathra Shendrel, any suggestion where we might find such a one?"

She's the town's overlord, presumably she'd know and presumably want to share. It's not as if she can despatch the Twelve to pursue this affair, they're clearly needed to defend the town.

Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
DM

When Davroar asked about dwarves, the smithy glared at him and said, "Am I not a dwarf?"

Darathra replied to him immediately, "I am sure that he meant another dwarf, that was here before you."

She then replied to Davroar, "None that would have the knowledge you seek." From the observations, there were a few half elves, elves that were part of the caravan guards and Ghelrin the dwarf in town.

Then Arus offered that they need a loremaster and she replied, "I do not know everything but I doubt that there is anyone around here that knows more about Triboar than I. That is not a boast, but it is my job to know. We here are ranchers and farmers. Triboar is lucky to be at the center of trade routes. Although it is unlikely that answers lie here, perhaps there is more to be learned here that could eventually lead to those answers?"

"It also strikes me as odd that fire giants would attack here, deep into the Dessarin Valley, without me receiving any forewarning. Have any at this table heard any rumors about giants before today?"

-Nep
M
M
<Bern>

"Just a =bit= of a correction", he offered looking at Darathara. "The giants were =not= 'attacking you'. They were 'retrieving and item'. Now ... depending on what the item is, that could make matters more ... or less ... important ... or desperate ... or whatever."

MikeD

MikeD
AJ Offline
Kriv

Humans.

“Bern...” Kriv interjected, his tone weary. How to get into their indignant, on-edge companion’s head that unleashing shock troops, cavalry and arsonists on a town very definitely constituted an attack, that a great many people in this room had seen livelihoods destroyed, property damaged and friends slaughtered earlier today? If the locals took offense at his choice of words, it could be damaging to their prospects. So, first a diplomatic tone, then getting the conversation back on track.

“The attack by the giants was indeed cover for robbery, but that does not diminish that it was an assault on this town that has left scars here that will take a long time to heal, if at all. Getting back to the question in hand, and in full awareness of the weight and consequence of these words... I have heard that giants are acting against, targeting and killing those who profess affiliation to the Lord’s Alliance, in particular their agents.”

M
M
<Bern>

He just shrugged in response to Kriv's 'rebuttal'.

It now seemed clear that no one wanted to hear from him so he would not bother to 'distract' them with his useless ... at least in their opinion ... observations in the future.

MikeD
Administrator
Administrator
Davroar

"Oh, well. Just a thought." he responds back to Darathra. He does give a slight nod to the smithy and also adds, "I meant no disrespect sir."

Remembering what Reidoth had asked of both him and Bern, Davroar speaks up.

"Kriv, when I was talking with Reidoth earlier, he told me before we left that he sensed an 'imbalance' in nature. He wasn't very specific about it though. It may not be just directed to those of the Lord's Alliance, but all of us."

Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
DM

Darathra couldn't contain a tiny gasp of shock. It was as she feared.

"If there was doubt, Kriv, now there is proof. Indeed it was an attack, but I understand Bern. It wasn't a random attack. The attack appears to be more of a distraction. Whatever that big piece of metal was, they came her for that. Had they wanted to destroy the town, there would have been a dozen of them. The orcs and fire creatures were distractions and living shields. As soon as the item was retrieved, they were gone."

"I agree with Davroar. This is bigger than Triboar," Urgala added. "This could impact the entire valley. What happened here should not happen again. Word must get out about this."

Darz, the campground caretaker added, "You have worked well with Urlam recently. I know it was hard for you to deal with the Zhent but he was a hero and fought to defeat the armies of the Dragon Cult. He will not be happy about you not bringing him here to talk about this. I think we will need his mercenaries."

To which Darathra responds, "He died on the battlefield today and needs time to recover. But yes, someone will need to talk to him. He may have already learned things from his men."

-Nep
M
M
<Bern>

"It seems to me that the key to 'getting in front' of this is to figure out what they 'retrieved', how they knew it was here and if there is anything else ... it did not look like a complete item, more like the part of something ... where would those other parts be."

MikeD
AJ Offline
Kriv

Nodding in the human manner to Bern, he picked up the thread,

"I was close enough for a good look at it, let me see how well I can describe what I saw..."

The Scholar went into as much detail as he was able. He'd almost been killed in the course of getting that close, but hopefully it would prove worth that cost.

Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
DM

And so Kriv went on to describe the item...

"It was a broken piece of metal, black as night, bent and twisted into a rough, semi-circle. It was thick as a young human's forearm and it seemed twice as long as a human is tall. It was heavy, even for a giant."

OOC: 11 feet long, 2 inches thick

To which Ghelryn Foehammer simply replied, "Adamantine."

Darathra frowned. "I have no knowledge of such an item."

"Might I offer an idea? My colleague in Yartar, Aldis Graywind, might have some information," Narth Tezrin, the proprietor of the Lion's Share offered. "Arus here knows him. He runs the main location of the Lionshield Coster in Yartar. He always keeps his ears open for information about strange items."

"Great. Do we need to trust someone in Yartar now?" Darz Helgar said with a mild look of disdain.

"You are not even from Triboar, Darz. It did not take you long to develop an envy of Yartar," Darathra interrupted. "Whether you or anyone in Triboar cares, they need to be warned about the giants and word has to spread from there. If the fire giants are up to something and risked their lives to retrieve this thing, it could be very bad."

-Nep
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Zhu

She nods agreement with Daratha's last statement. She doesn't know if the item was indeed Adamantine, though she trusts that the Dwarf would, however she does know that like Mithril, Adamantine is a special metal that is more effectively used in creating items of magic.

But Daratha is correct. If this is not an isolated incident, the other towns in the area need to be warned.

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

She thinks about the item but nothing comes to mind about what it might be.

"Do we know where the giants might have come from?"

Surely nothing that big could hide. Someone is bound to have seen them.

"They came in from the north I think."

Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
Darathra

"As I said, it is surprising they were here at all, this far into the Dessarin Valley. The valley is surrounded by hills and mountains. Here, let me show you."

She unfurls one of the scrolls that lays on the table

"Look. There's the Sumber Hills to the south, the Dessarin hills to the west, Phandelin is at the foothills of the Sword Mountains to the east and southeast, the Surbrin hills are to the north east and the Starmetal Hills to the north west. The giants could have come from anywhere, but it would sure be good to know."

-Nep
M
M
<Bern>

He listened to the 'presentation'. He looked at the map, he considered the 'arguments'. But it was not convincing. Never to be one to 'hold his tongue, he 'injected' his opinion.

"I do not think that we should use what the giants did as an indicator. They wanted that 'item', that much is clear. But there is too much that =we= do not know as to what that was about. However, it =is= clear that there is something more going on. But", he said with a glance to Darathra, "if =you= do =not= care, that is fine. But we will continue on our own ... if that is what we have to do."

MikeD
nem Online Away
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Online Away
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Arus

"Aldis is well connected and does business across the Frontier." He says, nodding to Narth.

"The arms trade brings him into contact with the best and worst of people. And Yartar itself has as seedier an underbelly as any I have seen."

The triton crosses his arms across his chest.

"Aldis. Yartar. It would be a good place to start." He says to the assembled adventurers.

Arus is decided.

"I shall go. Is anyone with me?"

Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
Darathra

The hostility from the one that called himself Bern was troublesome. He came here as an accused. She had given him the benefit of doubt. Now was being belligerent. She chose to ignore the outburst that she took as an insult. Instead, she replied to the triton.

"As you might have sensed, there is enmity between people from Yartar and Triboar, but some answers may indeed lie there. But word must get out."

She turns to speak to Sindar. She and the bard had spent the better part of the morning together and they appeared to be colleagues of some sort. "You were heading in that direction, were you not?"

-Nep
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

She is sure Bern is not himself. He is not usually aggressive.

Maybe he is not himself? Maybe this =is= the doppleganger?

She decides to watch him more closely. Perhaps Davroar could scent him?

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Zhu

She waits for the others to answer. She has her own mission, which heading off with Arus and Sindar would be better aligned, but she told the others she'd help them track down the Doppelganger, so if they choose to go another way she'd be obliged, at least for now, to go with them.

Chaotic Obfuscator
Online Content
Chaotic Obfuscator
Sindar

"I am quite interested in what has precepted the giant's actions. I would certainly be willing to accompany those interested in traveling to Yartar and investigating. It would be my honor to assist," he nods to the Protector at the suggestion.

Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
DM

Narth looks towards Darz and asks pointedly, "Where did you say that the one who looked like Bern, the doppleganger, was heading?"

"Yartar," the campground caretaker said. "Two days ago. I had a rather heated discussion with him before he left. I saw him leave and I made sure he was gone. He was in an unsavory mood. I kept my eye on him even as I kept my distance."

-Nep
AJ Offline
Kriv

There it was again. As much as he prejudged humans and did not think highly of them, there was that hostile tone from Bern, both out of place and unusual for what he’d seen of the man over the course of their association. Here he was, suspicion of the doppelgänger wearing his face rampant, yet it seemed he was going out of his way to insult and aggravate those who were on the same side, who had fought with them against the giants and had invited them to share counsel here. If he wasn’t the doppelgänger, he was doing a surprising amount of work that the impostor would be very happy with.

He glanced around at the other members of their party, to see if anyone else was picking up on it. Once Darth had confirmed the actual doppelgänger’s disposition, he affirmed,

“Then it seems, regardless of any connection between the giants and the doppelgänger, that our interests coincide, and we are best served by working together, going on to Yartar.”

nem Online Away
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Online Away
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Arus

"Then it looks like all our roads lead to Yartar." He says.

The doppelganger could have lied to Darz the groundsman, although the best lies have a kernel of truth.

Or Darz could actually be the doppelganger, trying to get rid of them.

Ultimately Arus doesn't know Darz. He fought in the battle only an hour or so ago, and his fellow townsfolk vouch for him.

Likewise, Arus has no doppelganger suspicions about Bern.

Bern had fought bravely during the battle, showing himself to be a formidable bowman. None of Bern's companions has commented on this, so presumably they expected it. So unless a doppelganger can imitate a Bern's honed archery skills too, this is the real Bern standing before them. He's hardly been out of sight since the battle an hour or so ago.

The man had been more amiable over a pint of ale, true, but who wasn't. He also hadn't responded to Arus's quip about owing him a drink, but that's not unusual the day after.

If Arus has one suspicion about Bern, it's that he might be one of those fellows who doesn't loosen up until they've had some liquid refreshment.

He places a steady hand on Bern's shoulder.

"Come Bern. Let us pursue this doppelganger that vexes thee and carve thine initials on its brow."

M
M
<Bern>

He sighs as his attention focuses on Arus and his comment. He gave him a smile and a nod. "Good plan", he said.

MikeD
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

Well that put a lid on their discussions. Yartar it is.

"So when do we go?"

She has a small errand to run if she has time and to pack, though that won't take long. She sees that Kriv has looked at Bern too. Maybe he has suspicions too.

Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
DM

"I think that is a good idea for all of us. Let us get this town back in business," Darathra said.

"Arus, we have a lot of work to do still at the Lion's Share. We still need your help there," Narth said, reminding the triton that he had some obligations. "We should be done long before dinner time."

"I need to get back to the inn. Lunch should be ending soon," Urgala added.

"And I have much work to do to get that caravan yard cleaned up. There are several caravans coming in and the ones that came in yesterday need to clear out. With the harvests in full swing, this was the worst time for a disruption!" Darz complained.

"Aye, I could do with a brew myself," Ghelryn said directly to Bern. Then, pausing momentarily as Darathra looked at him and then he added, "First I best check on Uldinath's Arms. I will make sure that, Harriet, my rival, fares well first." He placed emphasis on the word 'rival'. "Let us meet at the Triboar Arms shortly.

And so people started to gather items as the meeting was breaking up.

OOC: A lot was shared here, but a lot has yet to be shared. Now would be a time for any 'private' conversations to occur. Unless you are all tied at the hip, there will be opportunities to gather information, make contact with others and continue to gather information privately. Depending on who you are, who you talk to, etc, you may or may not gain advantage on "Information Gathering" which might be faction related. Let's be clear, not all the information is within this group. Several other opportunities exist. Some that come to mind are any of the other combatants (Othovir and Urlam were not at this meeting). And there are others you might find. If you want to do things quietly, PM me.

-Nep
M
M
<Bern>

As the list of 'tasks' grew, he thought about where he could be of the most use.

"Maybe after most of the important work is done", he said to Ghelryn. "And I will buy the first round", he said with a wink and a smile.

He turned to Darz. "I would be happy to help you with the clean up. Sounds like you have the most immediate need."

[[ hoping to gather some 'news' from Darz and the other caravan folk <g> ]]

MikeD
Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
OOC: MikeD, please give me a Persuasion roll. That would be 1d20-1 (yeah, Bern isn't charismatic). This will help determine if Darz believes you are you or if he thinks you're the doppleganger. Remember, he was your accuser.

-Nep
M
M
[[ clearly I am doomed <sigh> MikeD rolled d20-1 and got 4 ]]

MikeD
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Zhu

As the group breaks up, she decides her time might be best spent chatting with some of the townsfolk and getting any other information that might be here. Glancing around the room she notes those who she recalled participating in the fighting, but who are not present.

(OOC - Zhu will move about the town looking for Othovir, who she recalls from the fight.)

Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
OOC:
MikeD: I wouldn't say "doomed". That's not a save-or-die roll, but we're doing much more than hack-n-slash. And a fail may not mean what you think it means.

Zeim: You'll find Othovir at his shop, "0thovir'S Harness Shop" at T11.

All: If I deem it important, I might take players into PM's. Meanwhile, I'll post some reactions as they come up...

Darz
The older man looks at doppelgänger. He was convinced that the one that called himself Bern, was indeed a shape-shifter. The reaction of his supposed friend, the dragonborn, helped cement the opinion. Darz sensed that something was wrong when the bowman had a nasty response to Lord Protector. Now the doppelgänger wanted to help. Darz was convinced that the offer was not genuine. It sent a chill down Darz's back and it took him a few moments to formulate a respond. In those moments, Darz tried to think of ways to avoid the meeting. He was convinced that if he took the doppelgänger up on it's offer, he would not live to see tomorrow. The doppelgänger would probably think that he had more information that was not yet shared and is make sure that none of that got out.

"It is not too much work, just a clean up. If I gotta tell someone where to put this or that I will never get the work done. Thank you for your kind offer."

-Nep
M
M
[[ <heh heh heh> naw, just feeling like ... as usual ... the 'DL roller' hates me <sigh> ]]

MikeD
Chaotic Obfuscator
Online Content
Chaotic Obfuscator
Sindar

He wonders what was here long ago before it became a town. Not that it necessarily would tell them anything but it was an idle question. He thought about who he might talk with and or help while they finished up whatever they needed to, so they could head to Yartar. He always traveled light and was ready to move.

Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
OOC: Yeah, but the dice roller was an accurate reflection of Bern's attitude. I almost made you roll with disadvantage.

You might not get anything out of him, but others might smile There are some other avenues for Bern to explore. That tavern'll be good place for him.

-Nep
Administrator
Administrator
Davroar

Bern's current attitude is a little unsettling, but it is not enough to make him think that he is not the real Bern.
As for the travel plans, it is a simple decision to go to Yartar as it is along the same route to Shadowtop Cathedral.

Bringing up a previous point to spread the word of what has happened here, he will offer to the Lord Protector, "If you do not have ravens, I could summon some to spread the word if you can provide directions?"

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

She doesn't interfere with Davroar's conversation, waiting for his to finish and then has a quiet word in his ear.

"Got an errand to run. See you at lunch OK? And if you get the chance to sniff Bern..?"

Then she smiles and heads out.

nem Online Away
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Online Away
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Arus

"As thou wisheth." He says quietly.

In his own mind, he has fulfilled his contract with the Lionshield and then some. But that Narth still has employ for him is advantageous. For Arus, yes, though he trusts the Lionshield will not find his service wanting either.

"Let's meet in the common room at Northshield House around three." The triton suggests to the others.

At that he is ready to accompany Narth and pick up his next assignment of work.

AJ Offline
Kriv

With the dagger having been identified and a lead given on their quarry, their personal business with the coster was resolved. However... Darathra's gasp of shock at his revealed rumour, pertaining as it did to the Lord's Alliance in totality, made it worthwhile to see if she bore the ring herself, or recognised it in association. Checking notes with the rest of the group would also be a later priority.

Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
DM

As the meeting broke up, Darathra moved over to speak with Sindar, but two others lingered. One, the druid, offered up options to help spread word across the realms. The other, the fierce dragonborn, Kriv, had something more to say to her too, so she paused her words with Sindar, queued up Kriv before him, but politely responded to Davroar. "I do not have trained ravens, but all ideas a worthy. If you have a way for a raven to reach specific places and people, please enlighten me. I am not a wizard and do not understand these things. You made lighting strike from the sky, so I do not doubt you have some power over nature."

Meanwhile, Bern, who's offer of assistance was rudely rejected by Darz, is approached by Ghelryn Foehammer. "If'n yer wann a help out, come with me. The shop owners on the street the giants and their flaming friends came down are gonna need some help." It did not escape the ranger that the dwarf's shop was one of them. He probably really did need help and was less inclined to be worried about some shape-shifter.

Zhu and Jaliera were actually the first to leave, each having a place to go in their minds. They made their way down the steps to reach the town square. They were followed shortly by Narth and Arus.

Darz waited to depart too, but his lingering seemed to be tied to Bern, as he kept his eyes affixed on the ranger. That look was one that Bern recognized as the look of fear that predator looked for in prey. Darz seemed intent on not letting Bern get behind him. He was going to wait for Bern to leave before making his way out.

Urgala saw that interplay but ignored it, instead moved nearer to Kriv she had been impressed with his drive and courage. The innkeeper expressed her thanks softly to him, so as to not interrupt the Lord Protector's conversation. "It has been a long time since I have had the opportunity to face a giant," she said.

Those who made it down to the street, saw that the townsfolk had been hard at work trying to get the town back in order. Many of the fires have been put out. The group headed in different directions. Zhu was headed north on the Long Road. Jaliera walked across the town square in the direction of the western campground where the caravan from Phandelin had set up camp. Arus and Narth turned left out of the tower and made their way towards the Lion's Share.

Zhu walked along the path of destruction and had to pass the northern campground. That is where much of the battle took place. The bodies of the dead orcs, orogs and magmin had been stacked in a mound there and the townsfolk were getting ready to light it on fire. When Zhu saw what they were doing, she knew that it would not burn the magmin who were impervious to flame even in death. Othovir's shop was just up the street. He was the harness maker and his establishment was the second building on the right.

Narth led Arus back to the Lion's Share. When they got their, his business partner, Alaestra Ulgar, was being overwhelmed by the business and there was trying her best to handle her impatient customers. "It is about time you returned! How did you enjoy tea with the Lord Protector?" She was clearly frazzled.

"Arus and I did not have tea," Narth responded with a sigh. "We came as soon as we could."

"So what came of the meeting? Did ...." she started to ask before one of merchants she was tending to interrupted.

"When are we getting our wagons reloaded? I don't have all bloody day!" the pudgy man called out. It was a signal to the others on line to join in the chorus of complaints that Alaestra and Narth tried to answer. The tension was building.

-Nep
M
M
<Bern>

His frustration a bit more under control ... he really wanted to kick Darz where it would hurt. But he paused in his 'pursuit of the exit', with plans to visit the pub when the dwarf approached on his way to the door. He considered the request and decided that a bit of 'work' would help him and the town ... which would probably help them all. "Sure", he said. "Happy to help out. I need something to take my mind off all the ... politics", he said with a wicked grin. "Lets see what we can do to get you and your friends 'fixed up'", he said then turned again for the door.

MikeD
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Zhu

"They won't burn", she calls out to those who are gathering the bodies, pointing to the Magmin. "I'd suggest either burying them or leaving them outside of town for predators."

Continuing on she arrives at the Harness maker's shop and pauses outside to look at the building.You can tell a lot about a person by the condition in which they maintain their business. After a moment, she steps up to the door and then inside.

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
[OOC There is a convenient large hole..? grin ]

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
lol

Chaotic Obfuscator
Online Content
Chaotic Obfuscator
Sindar

He was patient and content to wait till the Lord Protector finished her business. Besides watching people and their interplay was half the fun in life, at least in his mind.

nem Online Away
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Online Away
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Arus
(at the Lion's Share)

The anger he sees at the Lion's Share seems to him a reaction to the attack, a reaction to fear.

The triton keeps a cool head though, stepping forward to placate the man.

"Prithy excuse us, my good man, we've spent much of the day moonlighting as your town's militia." He says with an amicable smile.

"Perhaps you men could moonlight as wagon-loaders in return? Your help would be of value to us all."

Last edited by nemarsde; Fri 17/07/20 07:20 UTC.
Administrator
Administrator
Davroar

"I can summon several ravens to fly within an hours time from here. Distinct buildings would be best. Describing a person would be harder target for a raven to find, Lord Protector."

Noticing that Kriv also wishes to speak with Daratha, he quickly adds, "Don't want to trouble you with all the details, if you have an assistant, I can work with him or her?"

AJ Offline
Kriv

He held up a hand, palm open, to acknowledge Davroar and indicate that he wasn't going to force through a claim on priority.

That the hand in question would give the Lord Protector a good sight of his ring was almost beside the point.

Almost.

Administrator
Administrator
Davroar

He gives a polite smile to Kriv for letting him speak first and to conclude his conversation with the Lord Protector as he waits for her answer to his question.

Last edited by Dugan; Thu 23/07/20 06:26 UTC.
Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
OOC: In order to get some movement, at least from you, I will post chunks of responses as you are splitting up. So, if I didn't get to you yet, I will soon...
DM (for Bern & Zhu)

Gherlyn Foehammer and Bern headed down the tower stairs into the street. Darz waited at the top of the steps until he saw that they had left the tower before heading down.

"You are not a shape shifter," the dwarf said in a tone that made it seem that he believe it was a fact. "I never met one, but I was here long before most of the humans here were born. I never met Gondyl but I came here not long after she was chased out of town. "

They were a pace or two behind Zhu who was headed in the same general direction.

As they approached the nothern campground the group saw the locals trying to burn the dead orcs, orogs and magmin. Zhu paused at the entrance to the campgrounds to offer advice. She was gratified to see that they heeded her advice and started to throw the carcassas of those monsters into the hole created by the giants dig to bury the magmin in. Zhu continued past the campground. Gherlyn led Bern in that direct too. Darz, following all of them turned into the campground to get started with his cleanup effort.

A few minutes later, Zhu comes upon Othovir's Harness shop. The back wall had been kicked in and part of the structure was severely burned. Merchandise, fine leather harnesses, and tools were strewn all about and Othovir was trying to salvage what he could. Zhu's first observation, even though the place was a mess, was that the merchandise was of the highest quality. The harnesses had intricate patterns and designs pressed into the leather. Othovir sees Zhu approaching as well as Gheryn and Bern close behind. "This was not a good day! Oh what a mess."

Gheryn closes the gap and calls out, "Need a hand?"

-Nep
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Zhu

She can see the high quality of the Harnesses made here and nods. She is always approving of people who do high quality work. It shows that they take what they do seriously.

She takes in the damage and when Gheryn offers to assist, she nods once again. "Yes. How can we assist?"

M
M
<Bern>

"I already knew that", he said in response to Gheryn's 'reassurance'. Then he added, "thanks just the same", with a grin and a chuckle.

He couldn't help but be frustrated at all the destruction and his inability to have done much ... =YET=, he reminded himself.

He wasn't sure why Gheryn seemed to be following Zhu ... there was a lot to. But it seemed like they finally got 'there' and it looked like they would be helping with the cleanup after all.

He immediately noticed the 'quality' of the weapons, and all things considered, it seemed like getting them sorted was a reasonable 'first thing' to get done. No telling what else might be 'stopping by' the town.

He nodded. "What can we do to help", he asked.

MikeD
Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
DM (for Arus)
At the Lion's Share, Arus tried to keep the calm, but the tensions are still high as others grumble. "We be need'n ta get da caravan movin," a larger man that looked to Arus to be from one of the barbarian tribes from north.

Aleastra moved towards Arus and put a hand on his shoulder as she addressed the laborers, "We had a difficult morning. His idea is a good one. Let's get started, shall we? "

Supporting words were also offered by Narth who concluded, "Let's get to work" and soon, he and Arus were out back, would need to work the loading and unloading of the wagons. In that time, the triton learns that the caravans were due to depart early in the afternoon. The attack delayed things and there's a real concern about them not reaching a safe spot on the trail before nightfall. The giant attack also spooked them, adding to the anxiety.

As they labored, Narth says to Arus, "We do have a job an a need filled. Did you see how badly Othovir's place was ransacked by the giants? That poor man! He's a customer of ours and we need to arrange delivery of five harnesses he made special for Amrath Mulnobar, castellan of Noanar's Hold. I too am worried about such a shipment going on a normal caravan. It sounded to me like you are going to join those others from Phandelin as you return to Yartar. Perhaps you can get the items as far as there and arrange for further delivery or take it yourself? "

-Nep
Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
DM (for Kriv, Davroar and Sindar)

"Indeed, any help we can muster to help spread the word of danger is helpful. Your ravens will help. I myself have not ventured far from this town for many years but if you feel that you can do so, I cannot but accept your help. Thank you. But I suppose you can send ravens to Baldur's Gate, Waterdeep and Neverwinter. I am unsure how to tell you how to find those who need to know there," Darathra said.

Urgala chimed in, "I think we need more than just sending a message. I think we need to make sure that we are prepared. I have battled giants. In fact, one of my old friends, one with whom I fought side by side with, has settled down. He's a wealthy knight Harthos Zymorven. I know that he had a greatsword which cut down giants with uncanny ease. While he has personally put aside his weapons, I am sure that he would be honored if it was wielded once more by a swordsman that intended to use it for the purpose it was made for. It may once again be time to defend the realms from a dangerous threat. The last time I spoke with Harthos, he was living in Zymorven Hall, his ancestral keep on the Rauvin Road northwest of Silverymoon. I believe that hw would part with the weapon if you mention my name to him and explain you needing it."

Darathra sighed, "I have to agree that I too am worried that we must be prepared." She turns to Sindar and says, "If you decide to continue heading east, I would ask you to stop in Everlund and visit Danivarr's House. It's the largest inn in the city. It is run by a good friend, Dral Thelev." She walks over to her desk, pulls out a drawer and reaches inside. The Lord Protector returns to the others and hands Sindar a small wooden box. Inside he finds a coin. It bears the insignia of Triboar, three boars charging forward. "Give this to Dral. He will help get the word out."

OOC: Gypsy and I are in PM

-Nep
AJ Offline
Kriv

The Dragonborn politely interjected,

“I may be able to assist with descriptive directions for the targets in Waterdeep, if my speculation about whom they may be is correct. I was there recently on official business. As for a giant-slaying greatsword, I have long been a student of the effective use of two-handed weaponry in particular, and of all our number would be the best placed to put it to good use. I will admit discomfort at the thought of claiming it unearned, though. Unequal transactions weigh on me. Nonetheless it is undoubtedly the right tool for the job.”

Chaotic Obfuscator
Online Content
Chaotic Obfuscator
Sindar

He watched the Lord Protector and accepted the box when she returned. "I would be honored to carry your message." She already knew he had agreed to goto the other nearby town first, but he could continue on when the urgent business had been finished.

nem Online Away
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Online Away
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Arus (at the Lion's Share)

The work gets done either way.

In conversation with Narth, Arus considers the other man's offer.

Arus fought alongside Narth in the battle versus the giants. He has respect for the southerner, an entrepreneur, a calculated risk-taker.

Escorting a Lionshield wagon to Yartar is merely the last job he did for the company, in the opposite direction.

"I know not that my path will lead me to Noanar's Hold, Narth, but verily, I can take the wagon to Yartar and hand-off to Aldis."

Administrator
Administrator
Davroar

"Baldur's Gate, Waterdeep, and Neverwinter. Ok Kriv, could you craft three notes for each. Jaliera knows Neverwinter well and could tell me where to send the raven there. That just leaves Baldur's Gate then."

He looks to Darathra and Urgala, and asks, "Do you know anyone here that is from Baldur's Gate?"

Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
DM (for Davroar, Kriv and Sindar)
Urgala faced Kriv directly.
"The sword is meant for you. You tried to take on two fire giants by yourself."

Neither women are able to answer Davroar's query with an affirmative. "We can do what we can. I'm sure once word gets to Waterdeep and Neverwinter, it will spread. I am sure that the caravans that leave here will help spread the word too." Darathra was content that effort would be put forth.

"Thank you Sindar. It is important that you do this. I suggest that you and your new companions sit down and plot out a course. I understand that this doppleganger is important to them, but, and I hate to say this, finding a shape-shifter that might now be anywhere in Faerun might be a daunting challenge. Bringing someone to justice is important, finding out what the giants are up to and making sure that when you learn something that words gets across the lands quickly is what matters most. Davroar can send ravens here, to me and I will get word out through caravans until you find a better way."

-Nep
AJ Offline
Kriv

The Dragonborn acknowledged the fact with a nod in the human fashion, replying,

"A calculated risk, and our last chance at preventing their escape, if unsuccessful. My protective magic was sufficient for one of them. It was not a great option, but we didn't have any better ones."

As the conversation continued, he looked to Sindar and admitted, "There is a matter I will need to attend to in Everlund, thus your sojourn need not be alone."

Returning his attention to Darathra, "'Those who need to know' was an interesting choice of phrase. Can you specify precisely whom you had in mind, be it as individuals or by position?"

Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
DM for Zhu and Bern
Instead of asking questions, Gheryln marches right into the mess that was Othovir's place and started to collect things that were unsalvagable and dragged them into the street. Clean-up was first. Once someone looked at the place, it was clear that getting rid of what was lost was only step one. There were walls to be rebuilt, shelves and furniture that needed repair. The dwarf looks over to Bern and pointed further up the street, "That's my place there. Before I get there, I want to make sure that my friends - and competitors have matters well in hand."

Then turning to Othovir he says, "Darathra asked me to look in on Harriet, I cannot stay here long."

Othovir was grateful, "Thank you. She could use the hand and it would be nice of you to make the first gesture. And thanks to both of you two, and the other's from out of town. Not everyone would lend a hand so readily, either in risking their lives to protect the town, or in helping strangers put their place back in order after such an attack. It is most appreciated."

The dwarf spent a half hour or so helping Othovir out and then announced that he would need to move on.

OOC: What are you saying and doing in that half hour and at the end?

-Nep
Chaotic Obfuscator
Online Content
Chaotic Obfuscator
Sindar

Knowing the prioirty of things is always useful. He nods to the Lord Protector and says to Kriv "that would be welcome," with regard to the offer to travel together.

M
M
<Bern>

He was glad to lend a hand. For one thing it was helping the folk here. For another it allowed him to not dwell so much on what had happened here. Then Gheryln 'directed' him elsewhere. Bit since it seemed more of the same, he nodded and headed to the indicated destination to see what help he could give there.

Before he left, though, Othovir offered his thanks as well. He smiled and nodded before making his exit to his new destination.

Once there, he looked for whomever was 'in charge' hoping that he could let him know where he would be most useful.

MikeD
Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
DM (For Bern)

Ghelryn directed Bern towards the next storefront up the block and the pair of them left Zhu at Othovir's and continued on. This structure was also partially destroyed. The singed, dangling sign over the place read Uldinath's Arms, hich identified it as a weaponmaker. An entire section of the structure's wall was caved in, likely kicked in by one of the fire giants. A dark haired woman was clearing debris from there and it looked like she was getting ready to board it up. She looked up and saw Ghelryn approach. "Where've ya been? Yer place is a mess!"

Indeed, across the street was Foehammer's Forge, his place of business.

"Been meeting with Darathra about the giants. My pal here was there with us, fighting the giants."

It was then that she noticed Bern and she scowled, "Can't ya take no fer an answer?"

Ghelryn started to laugh, "This ain't the same guy. This is Bern, he's the real man. You must've met his doppleganger."

"Oh no! I am sorry. It's just, he ... that other one was so rude!" she apologized to Bern. She then looked back to Ghelryn and replied. "Grandfather told me about dopplegangers. Didn't they try to take over the town a long time ago?"

Ghelryn nodded, "Aye. That is what I heard. It happened just before I arrived here."

-Nep
M
M
<Bern>

He was happy to let Ghelryn handle the conversation. He did smile and nod at the apology. "I understand", he said.

When it seemed like he was done, he turned to woman. "What can I do to help", he asked.

MikeD
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Zhu

She nods goodbye as Bern and Gheryln leave. There is still more to do so she continues working, taking direction from Othovir as to where to put things.

"This is very nice work", she says, picking up one particular harness from where it had landed in a corner. "Did you learn your craft here, in Triboar?"

Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
DM (for Zhu)

"No. I am from Waterdeep and learned my craft there," Othovir said. "Where are you from?" he replied.

-Nep
Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
DM (for Bern)

The weaponsmith, directed Bern to help collect the swords that had been strewn all about. As he collected them, he noticed a stamp on the blade of each sword and also, that the hilts were wrapped with very high grade leather and were also stamped with the same logo. Bern saw the symbol was the same as the symbol on the sign for the shop.

Ghelryn said in a grumbled whisper, "The Uldinath name has an expensive reputation."

Harriet Uldinath heard that and proudly said, "Uldinath swords have a great reputation. You wield a sword, try one."

Bern was holding one of the swords in his hand and indeed, it was well balance, the edge was long and sharp, the steel was hard and smooth. Indeed, it was of superior quality.

"Your doppleganger bought two dozen of these. I think he was going to resell them."

-Nep
M
M
<Bern>

He had noticed that all the weapons bore the mark that hung outside the door. At the 'suggestion', he considered the one in his hand. He checked the balance, looked at the blade, confirming the casual assessment of 'superior quality'.

"You do very good work", he said when his 'examination' was done.

His eyebrow raised at that last. "Interesting that he paid. I got the impression that he usually 'took' what he wanted. Any idea why?"

MikeD
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Zhu

"Silverymoon, of late", she says simply, not wanting to get into a detailed explanation of the Feywild. "I've been to Waterdeep once or twice. What brought you here?"

Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
DM (for Bern)

Gherlyn answered about dopplegangers.

"They try and fit in, don't you know it. Their power is to hide in plain sight. They can be anyone. Sure they steal, and they do, but this is their nature. Why risk getting caught? What if the two dozen were just samples? What if he convinced the buyer to get more? How easy would it be to get Harriet here to make more?"

"Well, he behaved like a profiteer. These swords sell for a premium. and I can only make so many," Harriet added.

-Nep
M
M
<Bern>

He sighed. They didn't really have a reason to be 'suspicious' he told himself.

"Not your fault. You couldn't have known", he said with a nod. "I get that. Is there anything else you can remember? The smallest detail might help."

MikeD
Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
DM (for Bern)

"You are nicer than that other you," Harriet said smiling. She was filthy from all the soot, but she was quite pleasant otherwise. She had a very fine tone, almost burly physique. Years of hammering iron had taken their toll on her hands.

"He was boasting about how he was going to 'tell those big morons these swords were magic'. I have no idea what he meant by that, but it upset me and we had a little spat. I wasn't going to sell him the swords unless he promised to tell whoever he was dealing with the truth. He made the promise and, against better judgement, I sold them to him".

DM (for Arus)

"Thank you. There's a caravan heading to Yartar tomorrow morning. This here is the harness. It's clearly marked, as you can see." Narth said pointing to a crate marked with a symbol of a stallion wearing a harness.

"I know that Aldis will miss not having you work for the Coster. You handle yourself well and I am jealous of you. I've committed to this enterprise and to Aelestra. It would be wrong for me to abandon her here and business has been good, even though the people of Triboar hate us for being affiliated with the Lionshield COster just because it is based in Yartar."

There was a hint of frustration when he discussed their troubles with the locals and Arus could tell that Narth really had dreams of adventure.

"I hope that you take the good all the way to Noanar's Hold, but you can figure that out with Aldis."

DM (for Davroar, Kriv and Sindar)

"For one," Darathra responded to Kriv's question about [i]the right people[/b], "we do not need a mass panic. If messages that there was new danger got out that could happen. Word needs to get to those that can issue assurances to the population. We also don't need this information to be delivered to those who we know would exploit the trouble. There is defined leadership in each of the major cities: Lady Laeral Silverhand, the open lord of Waterdeep, Lord Dagult Neverember of Neverwinter, the Council of Four in Baldur's Gate."

DM (all)

It was getting late in the afternoon and those who were going to travel together had agreed to meet for drinks at the Triboar Arms, a local tavern that avoided harm from the attack. A tiefling was leaning against the taproom doorway, drying and polishing a mug while nodding and exhibiting an inviting smile to those who were coming into his establishment.

Inside it was rather quiet. Most locals were working extra hours this day so when people started showing up for the meeting, the tavern was rather quiet. As you enter, a barmaid with long black, braided hair comes over to take orders.

ooc: some of you are in PM and we should flesh out those discussions, but you all have enough information in hand to make plans. More "missions and quests" could be forthcoming in Triboar but we'll get there together smile

-Nep
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

She is feeling much happier now having met her contact and confirmed that Whisper is alright. And she is hungry.

She looks around to see if any of the others are here.

M
M
<Bern>

He acknowledged her smile with one of his own and a nod. "I plan to 'have words' with the 'imposter' ... when we are 're-united'", he said with a smile. "And thank you for the information and I will be sure to give him 'your best wishes'", added and his smile became more 'wicked' looking as he imagined that 'discussion'.

When it seemed as though he had manged to help as much as he could, he smiled, wished her well and went in search of his friends.

MikeD
AJ Offline
Kriv

He nodded in the human fashion in particular at the Open Lord of Waterdeep, affirming,

“Then my speculation was indeed correct, and I will definitely be able to provide appropriate directions for the Waterdhavian missive. The necessary discretion will be exercised by all involved.”

Entry into Blackstaff Tower itself would be another matter, but knowing the preferred point of ingress should attract the attention of those within.

nem Online Away
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Online Away
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Arus (at the Lion's Share)

"Thou art a good man, Narth. Another year or so on the shopfront, find a stand-in and then take up adventuring. The Lionshield might sponsor thee, if thou maketh a name for thyself."

He shakes the man's hand. They'd fought closely together during the battle. Like any adventurer, Narth would need a party to round out his skills, but in Arus's opinion the man has what it takes.

Having thus made arrangements, the triton leaves the Lion's Share for his afternoon rendeszvous with the rest of his party.

Chaotic Obfuscator
Online Content
Chaotic Obfuscator
Sindar

He nodded in understanding and agreement with the Lord Protector. When the discussion had progressed far enough and they were given their leave, he went out to help where he could. He was not above offering a helping hand where it might be needed.

As the evening came on his stomach reminded him of another obligation, to feed it. Giving his leave to those who he was assisting, he headed to the inn.

The tiefling caught his eye, and Sindar gave a corresponding nod. Though he did note what the man was wearing, and any other distinguishing features. It paid to be observant.

Once inside he moved to meet the rest of his traveling companions. He also tried to secure some grub and a tankard. He had a thirst that needed quashing.

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
(OOC - I must have missed it. There's a Tiefling?)

Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
Yes. See this post and look for the segment for "all"

-Nep
nem Online Away
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Online Away
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Arus (at the Triboar Arms)

Arus prefers not to dine in armour but Triboar might still be a battleground with a temporary lull in the fighting. If not the fire giants, perhaps a local orc band, taking advantage of the chaos might try its luck. He'd heard there were orcs laired at Wyvern Tor to the west.

So the triton is still harnessed for battle. Not very comfortable attire for a sit down meal, so he orders a hot tea and a slice of their sweetest, heaviest cake to eat at the bar.

Once the party are all assembled and after any small talk has died down, he gets to business.

"It's late in the day for setting out but it's the difference between the giants having a three hour lead or an eighteen hour lead if we wait the night.

"I've agreed to escort a delivery from the Lion's Shield to Aldis in Yartar, so we'll have legitimate business with him when we arrive.

"How soon can the rest of you leave?"

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Zhu

She is one of the last to arrive, having had a long conversations with Othovir while helping him clean up a tremendous mess in his shop. Nodding to the others she finds a place and orders wine and any fresh fruit, cheese, or vegetables that are available.

She listens to Arus, making a mental note that as far as she can tell the length of the lead the giants may have is meaningless. They are gone and won't be caught. They might be found, but that is a different thing with less implications of speed.

"I can be ready at any time. For myself, though, I have to make a short stop in Silverymoon. We seem to be going to Yartar now, to see what we can find out, but from there should we pass by Silverymoon, or should we be able to make a short diversion there, I won't be long."

She pulls out a map and spreads it across the table to show the relative positions of Yartar and Silverymoon.

"Here is Yartar, just to the east of Triboar. Silverymoon is further East then a Northward turn at Everlund." She points as she mentions the places.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Zeim; Wed 05/08/20 15:10 UTC.
nem Online Away
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Online Away
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Arus

He doesn't know Faerûn very well so he checks the scale on the map as he listens to Zhu.

He doesn't know Zhu very well either but that might change, especially since Silverymoon looks to be a long journey.

"Silverymoon is about 400 miles from Yartar by road. That's still a three week journey just to get there, assuming we clear 20 miles a day. We might not."

Arus considers the river network.

"From Yartar we could buy passage on a sail-barge. We'd row upriver as far North as Rivermoot, then turn south onto the Rauvin. After that it's plain-sailing downstream to Silverymoon."

M
M
<Bern>

He listened to the planning, checked the map. None of it was all that important to him personally. He shrugged. "What ever those with a mission work out is fine by me", he said with a grin.

MikeD
Chaotic Obfuscator
Online Content
Chaotic Obfuscator
Sindar

"I too have an errand to run which will fall after Yartar." [OOC GM Insert memory here, PC not so much. grin ]

He wondered about Silverymoon. There wasn't much there, at least when he visited. Maybe there was a way to get some other part of the city that lay in a different realm. He had been young and naive when he went there the rifst time.

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Zhu

"Closer to 300 than 400. I just came that way from there to Phandalin so I know it well. Still, a fortnight's travel most likely were we to go directly and we are burdened by wagons. Perhaps a third to half less if we can travel without burden. Only 200 as the bird flies, but that means crossing the moors and I'd not do that unless it was an emergency."

She glances to Sindar at his mention of a mission of his own, and wonders if the others too have discovered individual tasks while they were wandering around Triboar today.

"That is why I said should our path head in that direction. We don't know yet where we will head from Yartar; East, West, North, South? If everyone else chooses to head away from there I will decide whether to go on my own and catch up with you or not."

Last edited by Zeim; Wed 05/08/20 17:33 UTC.
Administrator
Administrator
Davroar

He joins the group at Triboar Arms after helping where he could, finds Jaliera already there, and sits down beside her to enjoy a drink and a meal.

When Zhu brings out her map, he sits up straighter to take a look at it and says, "Zhu, me and Bern wouldn't mind heading eastward after Yartar."

He taps a finger just inside High Forest and adds, "Reidoth had asked us to visit Shadowtop Cathedral to talk to a guy there."

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

She smiles as Davroar joins her and they enjoy a meal together as others arrive and join them. She too stands to see the map.

"Actually I favour travelling by day as I can then track. I learned that our doppleganger is heading for Evermoors and the Dessarin Hills."

She points them out.

"A lot of giant activity has been seen around there and one of the caravan folk pointed out that our 'friend' had been seen leaving here with a wagon of swords, intending to sell them to the giants as magical weapons. There is a caravan leaving early in the morning. Travel by day is safer and we have less chance of missing anything."

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Zhu

"How convenient", she murmurs as the places named almost draw a line between Triboar and Silverymoon.

She turns once Kriv arrives and says, "We are sort of planning a route. A few of us have missions, errands? In any case it seems like Yartar is the immediate destination, both to protect a caravan and to see more about the Doppelganger. After that", she points to Shadowtop Cathedral, the Dessarin Hill, the Evermoors, and Silverymoon, then looks curiously at Kriv.

M
M
<Bern>

"I agree that day time travel makes sense", he said with a nod of his head.

MikeD
Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
DM

"If you were asked by Reidoth to go to Shadowtop Cathedral to talk to someone, I don't think it was a guy."

The speaker was a young half elf woman that approached the table where everyone was talking. She had a beer in her hand, a quiver with arrows was strapped to her back and a long sword to her side.

At that moment, the tiefling that seemed to be the proprietor of the place walked past her on his way to the back room. "You best listen to Zindra Winterbow, she usually knows what she's talking about."

"Thank you for the vote of confidence, Nemyth," the half elf responded, teasing him back.

"I suppose my name's no longer a secret," she said with a sigh to the group.

-Nep
AJ Offline
Kriv

Heading over to the map, one carefully manicured talon came to rest briefly on Everlund, to the east of the Evermoors and south of Silverymoon.

"One more vote for East from Yartar, given our quarry seems headed that way."

nem Online Away
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Online Away
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Arus

Like the pulsing lights of a deep sea kraken, their map shows a sequence of activity heading in one direction. Eastwards.

Although travel by river might be easier, Arus already has plenty of experience with that route from his work with the Lionshield Coster.

He came to Triboar to get inland connections. It seems like he's got them.

If everyone else is OK with the mileage, so is he.

Then the tiefling speaks up, and the triton appraises her top to bottom, as is his way.

"Well met, Miss Winterbow. My name's Ahlorsath, Arus Ahlorsath.

"You have some interest in Reidoth's mission?"

Chaotic Obfuscator
Online Content
Chaotic Obfuscator
Sindar

He was curious about the answer and remained quiet while watching with a smile. Best to not interrupt the flow of the conversation, or so he imagined.

M
M
<Bern>

And =there= it was again ... that damned doppelganger. He =really= wanted to 'catch up' to that SOB and 'settle scores'! But he didn't want to 'queer the game', so let those better able to 'talk reasonably' to do what they could do that he could not.

MikeD
Administrator
Administrator
Davroar

He looks up from the map to the half-elf woman that has decided to join them at their table and realizes that he had misspoke earlier. Somewhat to his defense Reidoth did refer to Turlang as a 'him', but whether they are male and female treants he has no idea. He flashes a crooked smile at the woman and corrects himself. "Ah, right. Reidoth said to find the caretaker, a treant named Turlang", and adding another question of his own after Arus question, "Are you a friend of Reidoth's, Zindra?"

Last edited by Dugan; Sat 08/08/20 06:08 UTC. Reason: correction for who Davroar is to find at Shadowtop Cathedral
Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
Zindra
"Yes. I have known Reidoth for a long time. He sponsored my entry to the Emerald Enclave."

-Nep
nem Online Away
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Online Away
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Arus

He knows very little about the Emerald Enclave, other than their historical base on an island in the Sea of Fallen Stars. Their aim is to safeguard the prosperity and health of the natural world, so they have dealings with the undersea realms and coastal settlements, all of whom exploit the sea to some extent.

An organisation of wilderness observers and pundits?

"If thou art Emerald Enclave, know thee aught of the giant activity in this area?" He asks.

Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
Zindra

She downs her beer, raises it to show the server, puts it down on the table and takes a seat. Apparently, she took the simple question as an invitation to join. Even before she starts to talk, the server brings over a new mug. She takes another hearty swig and wipes the foam from her upper lip.

"Being a member of the Emerald Enclave does not mean I keep track of giants," she says, smiling. "There have always been hill giants, ogres and the like in the hills surrounding Triboar. Why do you ask?"

-Nep
M
M
<Bern>

He sat back, had a hearty swig from his glass, happy to let the others 'take the lead' in the recounting.

MikeD
nem Online Away
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Online Away
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Arus

He picks at his sweet cake and doesn't hesitate to answer Zindra's question.

"The small matter of two large fire giants attacking the town this afternoon, but of course."

Alas, if the Emerald Enclave doesn't keep track of threats on the scale of giants, he isn't sure what use they'll be on this enterprise.

"We're tracking a foe eastward, Miss Winterbow, and hope to gather more intelligence on the giant threat along the way. Is that an endeavour that thou wantest join?"

Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
Zindra

"Yes. That is what brought me to town. I see the carnage that they have wrought. From what I understand, it could have been much worse. Nemyth said that you all helped fend them off. I am impressed."

She sighs, willing now to provide more information.

"Yes. The roads are much less safe since midsummer. Hill giants and ogres seem to be swarming. Uthgardt barbarians are also wandering the outlying hills. Travelers be vigilant. The roads are not safe. If you are heading east, I should tell you that I hire out as a scout at a reasonable rate. Few know the outlying hills as well as I do. I know every nook and cranny from here to Yartar."

-Nep
M
M
<Bern>

He held his 'tongue' as long as he could. But he had finally had enough of the misdirection.

"Just so you know, the 'carnage' would have been worse ... =except= ... for the fact that ... 'they' were =not= interested in the town but rather some ... 'artifact' ... that they seemed to know the exact location of. That seems 'of significance' ... at least to me."

MikeD
Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
Zindra

"An artifact? and they knew where to look? I did not know about that."

Bern notes a smile directed at him, almost a thanks for the information.

"I've only come to Triboar a short while ago. It was after the attack. What sort of item was it? Giants sure are behaving strangely. Normally the hill giants stay in the hills, where they belong. For them, all of a sudden, to confront people is worrisome."

-Nep
M
M
<Bern>

"Well, to be honest, I did not get a good look at it. But it looked more like a 'part' of something bigger. And they were fire giants."

MikeD
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

She is not sure they should be inviting new people in so quickly, nor sharing all their information but then maybe they will gain from sharing?

This directs her attention back to one of those newcomers, the one she had been trying to remember. And suddenly the memory clarifies. He had tried to defend her. She remembers him now!

"Neverwinter!"

She points to Sindar.

"I remember you now! And I never got to thank you."

Chaotic Obfuscator
Online Content
Chaotic Obfuscator
Sindar

He is surprised by the outburst, but his face shows a smile at the remembrance. "That was a long time ago," he admitted. "It is good to see you again. It would be nice to catch up, later." He didn't want to interrupt the flow of conversation any more than it had already been disturbed. Yet he did want to talk with her again. He had put the event far in his past memory, but it was still something he did think on once in a while.

Administrator
Administrator
Davroar

He makes a note to ask Jaliera later on how she knows Sindar, but for now he keeps his mind on the current topic and since it looks like they will be heading even further East of Yartar he asks Zindra, "Do you also know the area beyond Yartar too?"

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

She nods and smiles, pleased that she has finally remembered. Then turns her attention back to the conversation.

Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
DM

Smiling and hopeful that she might find work, Zindra nods her head as she responds to Davroar.

"I have traveled to Yartar several times recently and as far as Everlund once since Greengrass. I've also been in the northern reaches of High Forest. I've not been through the Evermoors and there can be no blame for that. The
vast fog-shrouded hills, cold bogs, rocky ridges, and small peaks are untamed and savage. I've been to some of the settlements that stand on the edge of the Evermoors. They face constant threats from the likes of giants, ettins, ogres, orcs, trolls, and other monsters that dwell there in great numbers."

She pointed to the map and added, "If you are traveling from here to Silverymoon and you intend to go through Everlund, you would go this way. She traced a path with her finger on the map.

As she was tracing the path, Darathra entered the tavern. Zindra looked up and greeted her. "I came as soon as I heard."

"Thank you," Darathra replied. "Thankfully we had heroes help us fend off the attack."

Clearly the two women knew each other.

[Linked Image]

-Nep
M
M
<Bern>

He studied the map and particularly the suggested route.

MikeD
Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
DM
The afternoon turns into early evening. The group planned and also socialized. It was the end of a long day but the beginning of a new adventure. During the discussions it became clear that the caravans were going to get moving early the next day. They should have departed already but the giant attack ruined those plans. Another caravan was due to arrive from the south and that would really crowd things in the campgrounds and the local inns but the party was all being taken care of, their rooms were being held.

The team would join the caravan heading east. It would be escorted by a dozen caravan guards that the caravan had arranged with Urlam. There would be two dozen wagons in the caravan, a large one heading to Yartar.

OOC: I think we're ready to move on soon so if there's any wrap up, now's the time to do it.

-Nep
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Zhu

She studies the town Leader when she sees Zindra, gauging what the relationship may be. Cordial, adversarial, trusting, etc. She looks at the others. The Scout offered her services to the group, but none have actually accepted. Zhu does not feel it is her place to speak for the others so she just observes.

M
M
<Bern>

His study of the route complete, he was ready to retire. It would be an early start of a long day tomorrow.

MikeD
Administrator
Administrator
Davroar

It seems Daratha knows Zindra, yet he is wondering now if Zindra was planning to stay to help Daratha around the town or if her earlier offer as a scout is still available. Zindra did agree to join them though when Arus asked her, and having an extra fighter around in unfamiliar territory would not be a bad thing in his opinion. Looking to the rest of the group he says, "I'm willing to pay my share for Zindra's service, if that's okay with everyone else?"

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

She supports Davroar.

"Yes, I'll cover my share."

Extra knowledge is always worth paying for.

M
M
<Bern>

He nodded his agreement.

MikeD
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Zhu

She raises an eyebrow curiously. Zindra never told them what her fee was, so agreeing so readily seemed a bit hasty, but she just shrugs mentally and keeps watching Daratha for a reaction.

AJ Offline
Kriv

"The worker is worth their wages, and payment for a service rendered, certainly," opined the Dragonborn Noble, "But was a precise fee specified?"

Administrator
Administrator
Davroar

He shows his youthful inexperience in making deals as he replies to Kriv, "Oh, right...", and quickly turns to Zindra and asks, "How much were you wanting?"
Hopefully Zindra is not going to be asking too much, yet at the same time Davroar figures with his share of the mines he could afford to pay a portion of her fee.

nem Online Away
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Online Away
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Arus

He'd have preferred to get underway in the afternoon. Although they aren't chasing down the fire giants, they are conducting an investigation. Arus is no detective but he has enough experience to know that the longer you wait, the colder a trail becomes. Leads dry up, and more importantly whatever nefarious game is afoot might be too far advanced to reel in.

But in this case, by delaying he has gained an advantage of his own. This new company of heroes is formidable. Arus would rather delay and have their powers at his side than forge on alone.

Together, their chances of victory are far greater, as evidenced by the battle earlier in the day.

So the triton leaves the meeting happy that they're on the right track.

Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
Zindra

"I charge 10 GP per day and it will be worth every coin. It will take two days to reach Yartar."

-Nep
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

That sounds like a lot of money to Jaliera.

"Considering that we will be part of a caravan who already know the way, we may only need your knowledge in an emergency. Shall we say 10 gp flat fee?"

M
M
<Bern>

"So you want to be an 'employee' paid for working ... instead of being part of our group, and so entitled to a share of whatever we ... 'recover'?"

MikeD
Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
Zindra
"It is two days to Yartar, but far longer to Silverymoon," she says to Jaliera and then, turning to Bern, "I would prefer steady income than to gamble on recovering things."

-Nep
M
M
<Bern>

He shrugged at Zindra's reply. That would probably be better for us, he thought to himself. And if it satisfied her, all the better.

MikeD
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
(OOC - Nep - Sp Zhu has been observing Daratha for her reaction and demeanor as regards Zindra, since they know each other. Does she get the feeling Daratha trusts her, is wary of her, likes her, doesn't like her, etc? Rolled a 13 for Insight.)

Last edited by Zeim; Thu 20/08/20 18:03 UTC.
Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
[ooc: Darathra trusts Zindra.]

-Nep
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  AquaDyne, Neptune, Zeim 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Talon475, Randal Trimmer, Kimf, Yvon, TennesseeBaron
177 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Member Spotlight
TennesseeMaiden
TennesseeMaiden
Tiptonville, TN
Forum Statistics
Forums103
Topics2,828
Posts140,438
Members177
Most Online296
Jan 19th, 2020
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
†Restricted forums can only be accessed by DreamLyrics members of the age of 18 years or older. Access which is granted by the Behind Closed Doors Procedure.
™DreamLyrics Play-by-Post. DreamLyrics Play-by-Post does not own copyright on DreamLyrics texts or graphics, except trademarked DreamLyrics logos and logotypes. The works contained in DreamLyrics are copyrighted (automatically, under the Berne Convention) by the original authors and may be available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence. (See Copyrights for details.)
Privacy Policy