Eye of the Dragon
DreamLyrics Play-by-Post
Who's Online Now
1 members (Phoenix Prime), 43 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Dice Roller
You will need to enable Javascript in order to view the Dice Roller.
Games Recruiting List

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
DM
Darathra walked to the Lord Protector's tower with a determined pace. The burly guard that was permanently there took notice and stepped aside urgently. Darathra flung the front door. open and set immediatly for the steps which she marched up stridently.

Her office occupied the entire top floor of the tower. She didn't stride over to her desk. The only chairs in the room were her seat behind the desk and two guest chairs opposite it. Instead, she moved over to a large table on the other side of the room. On the table were a number of unfurled scrolls. They were various maps. She made her way around to the head of the table, a position that placed her facing the door on the other side of the room.

The townsfolk that were invited to join meeting hustled to keep up with the Lord Protector. Ghelryn, was still wounded but he virtually ran up the steps. In there they all found a spot around the table and stood. Clearly this was protocol. If everyone cannot sit, nobody will sit.

Even before everyone found their spot, the Lord Protector began speaking, and did so in a manner that prohibited interuption.

"I do not know everyone. Introductions are in order. Let me start with me and I'll introduce those I know. I'm Darathra Shendrel, Lord Protector of Triboar. That brave dwarf is Gherlyn Foehammer, one of our local smithies," she says glancing over to the dwarf. She pauses for a moment and turns to the dwarf and asked, "Did you check on Harriet?"

He answers, "Yes, m'lady. She suffered some burns but one of the giants done kicked in a wall of Uldinath's Arms."

"I see. We'll help her get the place back in order," she said in response. It was a directive not a suggestion and by the look on the smithy's face, he seemed to agree but wasn't thrilled with the idea.

"I assmume many of you know Urgala Meltimer. Many of our guests stay at her inn. I value her experience and tactical expertise. She wasn't always an innkeeper."

She then flippantly points left to a dark-haired man that stood to her left. "This here is Narth Tezrin. He and Alaestra Ulgar run the Lion's Share." She turns to him and adds, with a sardonic grin "Sometimes it seems keeping them safe and in business is my full time job. I'm sorry about the trouble down there."

Narth just bowed his head and sighed. The way that he reacted infered that he was rather used to the attacks.

"For those of you who do not know, the rivalry between Triboar and Yartar has gone from friendly to fierce over the decades. Since the Lionshield Coster trading company is based out of Yartar, it causes problems. I think we need the Lion's Share here in town to help to grow local commerce but there are some that will have nothing to do with Yartar. I hate it when I they have an excuse to cause trouble."

Looking Narth in the eye, Darathra said "I will deal with those that troubled you today and we'll double the guard tonight. You fought bravely today. It's a pity that the tomato hurler decided to enter combat after the giants had left and with weapons that cause critical soiling damage to another's robes."

The next person that Darathra introduced was the half-elf bard that some saw play at the Talking Troll. "Sindar here is also a visitor to our town. He is a good friend and a confidant. I appreciate his counsel. Let me continue on, but when I'm done, please feel free to add more about yourself," she says to Sindar.

Finally she turns to the elderly man that recognized Bern at first. "You've probably seen Darz here tending to the campgrounds. We'll get to what you saw in a moment. And I'm curious what you know too, Narth. We'll get back to that. Now I would like to meet our other guests."

With that she turns to the rest of the folks assembled. "Once again, thank you. We won't forget your help."

She then looks at Bern with focus, almost soul penetrating gaze as she continues. "Please, introduce yourselves. I am most curious to hear about the one that everyone seems to know so well. Bern it is, am I correct?"

-Nep
M
M
<Bern>

He listened to the 'mayor' as she spoke, but frowned when he was singled out.

"I am assuming that you are referring to the doppelganger that has been impersonating me for some time now", he said with some anger showing. "We have been following this group for some tine and =MY= goal is to find and =TERMINATE= this impersonator", he said angrily.

MikeD
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Zhu

She listens intently, recording the information in her memory. As Sindar is introduced, a soft smile lifts the corner of her lips and she tilts her head in his direction. She saw him at breakfast earlier, but things had happened quickly after that and while she'd been meaning to catch up with him she had not had an opportunity to do so.

She nods to the Lady Protector, and watches passively as Bern vents some of his frustration.

Stepping into the awkward silence she offers Daratha a small bow and says, "I am Zhuirentel Elendaril, most recently of the Silverymoon Spellguard." The small bow causes the red ruby pendant she wears on her neck in the shape of a Gauntleted fist to swing slightly and catch the light. Those familiar with it's meaning would have no trouble understanding the other organization she represents.

"I had intended to call upon you at some point today, Lady Daratha. Events overtook me I fear."

Last edited by Zeim; Sun 21/06/20 21:31 UTC.
AJ Offline
Kriv

The Dragonborn noble made his introduction in turn.

"I hight Kriv Norixius, of Norixius Keep. I can vouch for my colleague not having been here prior to our arrival, and the actions and disposition of the one who wore his face are of great interest in our task of tracking them down, our principal reason for being here."

The scholar knew well the maxim of two ears, one mouth, to be used in that proportion, and so refrained from waxing lyrical about the situation beyond that. The local chain of command was to be respected, particularly given the leader was clearly leading.

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

Aware that she is small and often escapes notice, which is not always a bad thing, she steps forward.

"I am Jaliera Kassan. I have travelled with Kriv, Bern and the others.."

She waves a hand indicating those in their group.

"..for some time now. We came here seeking knowledge of the Doppleganger but are concerned about the arrival of the giants here. I am glad we could help."

Administrator
Administrator
Davroar

With really nothing more to add he simply stands, slightly bows his head, and says, "I'm Davroar, Lord Protector."

Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
DM

Darathra

She answers each of the out-of-town guests, one by one, after they introduce themselves. She makes sure to reply to each and every one. Bern was the first to speak, but after his loud and rude outburst, there was a moment of silence that was broken by Zhu. After the eladrin speaks up, Darathra says, in a calm voice the barely hides her agitation with the ranger, "I am pleased to meet you Zhuirentel. I understand that you have a responsibility and I am sure that we can discuss any requests from the Order of the Gauntlet later."

After Kriv speaks up, she responds. "Welcome Kriv of Norixius Keep. You fought bravely today and did your house honor. Your words of support of this unnamed friend of yours holds weight with me."

And finally to Davroar and Jaliera, "Greetings Davoar. Are you here too with these others? And well met Jaliera. I am glad you could help too. You speak of this Doppleganger too. I do not really understand what this is all about."

She does not reply to Bern yet. Instead, she turns her gaze to Darz, the campground caretaker, who was taken aback by Bern's comments, especially the violent tone, and says, "I would like to hear about this fellow across from you Darz, Tell us about him."

Darz

"M'lady, he was here before High Harvesttide. I know that was him. He was not with a caravan. I saw him go in and out of the campgrounds so I went up to him to find out if he was a thief. We got into a bit of a tiff but he left when I unsheathed my sword. He went away and was angry, as he is still today, as you can see. I did my job, m'lady and kept my eyes upon him, even as people flocked here for the festivities. He was in and out of the shops but I also saw him speak privately with Urlam."

Darathra

When Darz was done speaking, Darathra finally looks at Bern, "I would forgive your anger, it has been a difficult morning, but it seems that you have a quick temper. I do not understand what a Doppleganger is. From what you and your friends are saying, you claim someone is disguised as you? More important, do I understand you when you say that you came here to murder that someone?"

-Nep
nem Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Arus

Having introduced himself to the town earlier, he doesn't waste time with a repeat. Besides which, his business in the Savage Frontier is his own and of no interest to any land dweller.

"Mine understanding is that a doppelganger is a shapechanger, committed to an evil purpose." He adds, and knows little else about the creatures.

Arus does turn to Bern though.

"So is it you who owes me a drink or your doppelganger?" He asks with a grin.

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Zhu

She nods agreement with Arus. "Indeed. An evil being that can do more than simply take the shape of a person. It sounds like them. It even has some of their more recent memories. It would be hard for a husband to know which of two women were his wife were one of them a Doppelganger."

She glances at Bern. "My companion is understandably upset that this creature is doing evil using his name and form. This Shape Shifter murdered people in Phandelin. We intend to bring it to justice."

She pauses. "As for the earlier visit. High Harvestide you say?" She glances towards the others then back to Darartha. "Have you heard that the mine in Phandelin is reopen? These stalwarts", she waves at the others, "are the ones who reclaimed it from the Undead, Drow, Goblinkin, and the Shape Shifter. They were doing so at that time, so none of them could have been here."

Last edited by Zeim; Tue 23/06/20 13:35 UTC.
M
M
<Bern>

He held his tongue, willing to let the calmer voices speak ... for now.

MikeD
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

"The only other thing I might add m'lady, is that I have an owl companion who is currently on high in the town square. She is my ears and eyes. I would not want her mistaken for a spy."

She nods and steps back politely.

Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
DM

The Lord Protector listened the strangers and responded, "Jaliera, thank you for letting me know about your spying owl. Owls should be safe. Farmers leave them alone, especially this time of year, because they feed on pests. It will be alright."

Then, she addresses Bern, who has held his tongue.

"I see you have friends, Bern. But you have not explained why you made your murderous claim. You had a first chance. Before I give you a second chance to explain yourself, I want to hear from Narth."

She looks over to the proprietor of the Lion's Share and says, "When Darz identified the man that calls himself Bern after the battle, you said "I never forget a face. What else do you remember?"

The young Iluskan took a deep breath and looked into Bern's eyes from across the table. "Well m'lady. First, thank you for the protection from the mob. I have tried very hard to do good for the town of Triboar and ..."

At this point, Darathra raises her arm to interrupt him, "Yes, yes. Now, get on to Bern."

Slightly flustered, the Narth continues. "It was even before Darz said he was here. I saw him five or six days ago in our shop. He was purchasing some wares for an expedition, I assumed. But I am very sure it was this man, or someone that looks exactly like him. He was even wearing the same garments! He came in, dropped a few gold, and left. I assume he shopped elsewhere in Triboar, but I definitely remember him from then."

"So Bern," the Lord Protector said as she looked at the bowman, "We all know about the mines being open, but what murder do you and your friends refer to? And what murder do you have in your heart?"

-Nep
M
M
<Bern>

"The =only= murder in =my= 'heart' I am saving for that vermin who has been impersonating me ... ruining my name", he said with some of his frustration showing.

MikeD
AJ Offline
Kriv

Making absolutely sure not to speak out of turn, choosing his moment carefully and in accordance with decorum, the erudite noble addressed Narth's testimony.

"The wares the doppelganger purchased," commented Kriv quietly, "would one of them be this dagger here?"

Holding the pieces in a way that offered neither threat nor offence to those present, the Dragonborn continued,

"We have numerous eyewitnesses who can verify the man standing here before you had no opportunity whatsoever to get to where this weapon broken in the course of an attempted crime was found, and the markings on it, with which we are on the whole not entirely familiar, led us here in the first instance."

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Zhu

Once Kriv finishes, she answers the Lord protector's question. "This Doppelganger was part of a band working for a Drow who named himself the "Black Spider". While they were in the Mines of Phandelin they murdered the Dwarf Tharden Rockseeker, brother to Nundro and Gundren Rockseeker."

nem Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Arus

Arus is considered something of a blunt instrument by his superiors, but he's sharp enough to know when to shut up and listen and this is one of those times. Finally he's learning of the events in Phandelin.

Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
DM

Narth took the dagger from Kriv and started to examine it, turning it over to look at the markings.

"Yes. This was bought from us. And I believe that Bern was the purchaser...at least the thing that you claim is impersonating him."

At this point, Ghelryn Foehammer, enters the conversation, "You are all too young to remember, but there was trouble here once before because of a shape changer. Gondyl Ilitheeum used to own Everwyvern House before Draven Millovyr. Gondyl was a doppelganger. She had been chased out of Triboar before I came but the talk in town said she was trying to get others like her here to take over Triboar."

Urgala then sneered, "Draven is not much of an improvement!" which caught Darathra's attention who let the proprietor of the Northshield House know that her commentary did not land well with a caustic glare. Urgala got the hint and shifted her statement towards the visitors, "Are you the heroes of Phandelin?"

-Nep
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

She supposes they are but has never thought herself a hero and finds it hard to own that description. She just blushes and says nothing, hoping one of the others will find the right words.

Last edited by Gypsy; Mon 29/06/20 15:14 UTC.
Chaotic Obfuscator
Chaotic Obfuscator
Sindar

He listened as well as watched the people and the interactions. He knew the stories of things that could appear as others. He had never met anything like them. But magic had the ability to mimic many things.

At the comment of Heroes of Phandelin sounded like something he would want to learn about. It should be set into a song at a minimum. Patience was a necessary evil though he kept quiet for now.

AJ Offline
Kriv

Answering the innkeep’s question, the erudite noble clarified,

“That’s not a title we’ve sought for ourselves, but it is true our recent actions have been of great benefit to that polity and recognized as such, from restoring law and order to increasing their prosperity and prospects. As a descriptor it fits well enough. Was there some specific act of heroism you had in mind, or someone seeking individuals by that description?”

Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
DM

Darathra's eyebrows lifted slightly both at the question and then again after Kriv's answer. Evidently the group felt that the dragonborn was their spokesperson. She selected these folks to bring up here because they bravely defended the town. It appeared to her that Bern, the one that this doppelganger is impersonating, Jaliera the waif and her companion Davroar and Kriv were part of that group. Her information about that event didn't include word of an elf. That she declared herself a member of the Order of the Gauntlet explained much. In her experience many of them were fanatical vigilantes, driven by self-righteousness and some perceived divine right. Of course she would latch on to a group of heroes and demand an audience with her.

She was puzzled, also, that there was only one dragonborn. Her understanding was that there were two dragonborns that were part of the group that freed the mines. Her information about the Phandelin heroes was that there was also another human, a female cleric. She wasn't here. It was clear that Arus, the blue man, was not part of that group but he clearly had leadership abilities as the one that started ruckus in the aftermath of the battle. He was connected to the Lionshield Coster and came in on the caravan from Yartar.

She evaluated the situation and weighed options in a few scant moments and decided that she needed to know more about them but that some sort of plan needed to be formulated quickly. She raised her hand, which stopped Urgula from providing the answer. It was her responsibility.

"I will answer tour question. News does travel, especially when commerce is involved. We've been expecting the mines to start operating and, of course, we would have asked how it came to pass. So we have heard many a tale about you. It is somewhat of a surprise that you happened to come in on the first caravan from Phandelin which carried ore from the mines. I can't imagine that this is how we anticipated meeting each other."

She looks directly at Bern and says, "I can understand your frustration, if indeed you are who you claim to be." She sighs. "Sometimes one must simply place their trust in their instincts. That, I am ready to do with you and so I accept your claim. I heard stories of the shape-changers but not the name of their kind, 'doppelganger'. If there is a shape-changer amongst us, it could now be anyone, any of us. So it does not pay for me to trust you less than anyone else here."

That statement caught glares from other residents, but not the dwarf. He leaned forward, not smiling, all business and serious about what he would say next. "Aye. We can trust everyone or no one. "

His response helped the Lord Protector, and she would remember that. The nods of agreement from others confirmed it which gave her the ability now to put that aspect of the discussion behind them.

"Let us then move on to the two issues, as I see it. The doppelganger and the giants. Do you think that perhaps one has to do with the other?"

-Nep
M
M
<Bern>

His frustration mostly under control, he offered his assessment.

"I see two possibilities. One is that they =are= working together. The other is that they are competitors. There did not seem to be any 'coordination' between the two, so I am inclined to believe the second. But it could be that they planned to make it look that way, so could be easily convinced that the first is more accurate."

MikeD
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Zhu

"I don't believe in coincidences", she says simply. "Seems unusual that the Shapechanger", she uses that word since it seems they are more comfortable with it than 'Doppelganger', "passed through here and then a few days later the town is attacked by Giants looking for a particular object they just happened to know where to find?"

Chaotic Obfuscator
Chaotic Obfuscator
Sindar

"I believe we need more information to determine causality. But I do believe that they could be related because of the nature of the relation. The giants came here and dug that bent rod up. It seemed old, and of importance. As the mines were old and of magical importance, I would suspect the rod has some sort of magical history as well.

"The question I wonder is what could it be? What is the history of this place so that we might have an idea of that? I am not sure we time to determine all that I would like to know. I think giving chase is more important. Though the giants clearly have plenty of associates to assist them in the assault, so it might not be undertaken lightly."

Administrator
Administrator
Davroar

In-line with Sindar's inquiry about the history of this place he quietly asks, "Any dwarfs or elves long-time residents here?"

Davroar figures if anyone would know it would be a long-lived resident, unless previous rulers here have kept any written records, but he kind of doubts that there would be any books as the place does not seem to be one that would attract scholarly types.

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  AquaDyne, Neptune, Zeim 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Talon475, Randal Trimmer, Kimf, Yvon, TennesseeBaron
177 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Zeim
Member Spotlight
TennesseeMaiden
TennesseeMaiden
Tiptonville, TN
Forum Statistics
Forums103
Topics2,840
Posts140,694
Members177
Most Online296
Jan 19th, 2020
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
†Restricted forums can only be accessed by DreamLyrics members of the age of 18 years or older. Access which is granted by the Behind Closed Doors Procedure.
™DreamLyrics Play-by-Post. DreamLyrics Play-by-Post does not own copyright on DreamLyrics texts or graphics, except trademarked DreamLyrics logos and logotypes. The works contained in DreamLyrics are copyrighted (automatically, under the Berne Convention) by the original authors and may be available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence. (See Copyrights for details.)
Privacy Policy