Eye of the Dragon
DreamLyrics Play-by-Post
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 35 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Dice Roller
You will need to enable Javascript in order to view the Dice Roller.
Games Recruiting List

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
nem Offline OP
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
OP Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
[This topic is set as a global announcement, which is why you can see it at the top of every forum. For now. We'll scoot it on by the end of next week, and you'll be able to find it in Message Gaming Centre.]

We haven't done an official genre survey in a while, but with virtual communities being more relevant in a time when gatherings in the real world have increasing challenges, let's find out what we're in the mood for.

I want to see if post-apocalypse has as many votes as usual. lol Actually, last time it didn't get any. Have a look for yourself.

Half-Time 2019 Genre Survey

Our front runner was once again classic fantasy. The genre that popularised our hobby and shows no sign of abating. Indeed, D&D 5th Edition arguably harks back the original versions more than any edition since 1st.

Remember, you have two votes so don't click 'Submit Vote' until you've ticked two boxes.

Genre of Game
multiple choice, up to 2 choices
20th-Century Pulp Adventure (3%, 1 Votes)
Classic Fantasy (16%, 5 Votes)
Dark Fantasy (13%, 4 Votes)
Detective/Mystery (0%, 0 Votes)
Hard Sci-Fi/Cyberpunk (13%, 4 Votes)
Historical/Period (3%, 1 Votes)
Horror (3%, 1 Votes)
Modern Action Thriller (3%, 1 Votes)
Post-Apocalypse/Zombie (0%, 0 Votes)
Soap (3%, 1 Votes)
Steampunk (3%, 1 Votes)
Space Opera (10%, 3 Votes)
Supers (10%, 3 Votes)
Urban Fantasy/Urban Horror (19%, 6 Votes)
Other (Please tell us below) (0%, 0 Votes)
Total Votes: 31
Voting on this poll ends: Sat 20/06/20 01:00 UTC
M
M
Hmmmm ... 11 votes. So =WHO= didn't vote for two???? <g>

MikeD
nem Offline OP
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
OP Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
We always seem to end up with an odd number of votes tbh.

Strong showing from urban fantasy/urban horror. There are definitely nuances within that genre.

It can run from your Harry Potter to Dresden to much darker fare like, um, World of Darkness.

nem Offline OP
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
OP Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
OK all, so why'd you choose what you chose? Did you have a specific game in mind? What's hot and what's not?

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Enjoying the start of Gryphon's new game, Dresden files. Guess that was an influence. wink

M
M
While there are genres I like more than others, for me, the biggest reason I join a game is the GM!!!

MikeD
A
A
I chose Supers and Steampunk.

Supers because I have always loved the genre - and it gets to be very different from the classical or dark/urban fantasy that most game systems lean towards.

Steampunk was just because I've never had the chance to play in that theme/genre, but I like the mix of historical and technology that it would take.

-- C'ur A'lduin
Mayhem Inc.
Mayhem Inc.
It was a hard choice for me, and honestly not sure of which ones I did choose smile I know I almost voted for Detectives / Mystery

Jinkies!
nem Offline OP
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
OP Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
There aren't many consistent steampunk worlds in published RPGs. Well, none that I can think of. Anyone know of any steampunk RPGs?

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Castle Falkenstein has a sort of Steam Punk side to it, I think.

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
And doesn't Savage Worlds have a version too?

nem Offline OP
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
OP Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
I always thought of Castle Falkenstein as high fantasy Victoriana.

I guess Savage Worlds system was originally designed for Deadlands, which although a supernatural Western is in many ways steampunk.

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Well L'Ange's had a sort of steam punk element.. as well as the victorian angle.

And..

Castle Falkenstein is a steampunk-themed fantasy role-playing game designed by Mike Pondsmith and originally published by R. Talsorian Games in 1994. The game is named for a legendary unbuilt castle in the Bavarian Alps. Wikipedia.

Ahha my memory has survived! grin

nem Offline OP
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
OP Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Oh aye, I know it's often cited as a steampunk RPG but to me Castle Falkenstein doesn't have the sooty, stovepipe hat and steam-mecha vibe of steampunk.

I think Lady Blackbird is meant to be steampunk but when we played it, Gypsy, we subconsciously morphed it into a jet age diesel punk. Was pretty cool!

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
It was! smile

Space: 1889 was very steampunk and very space-victorian.

I remember a brief online game. As I was playing an American one of the other players immediately came after me and got very aggressive, calling my character an evil, morally bankrupt gunrunner. My character was, of course, tremendously affronted, insulted at being stereotyped and even opened up his cargo crates to prove that what he was carrying was very accurate and sensitive surveying equipment - being an explorer after all. He got many IC apologies and I got them OOC too.

Meanwhile, I was laughing my head off behind my keyboard.

The guns were hidden UNDER the surveying instruments.

Last edited by Wolf; Tue 17/03/20 23:11 UTC.
Mayhem Inc.
Mayhem Inc.
Castle Falkenstein: Steam Age
Wonders Through the Power of Steam!
Steam! The mighty force that drives the gears of the Falkenstein World; a force so powerful the Age was named after it! Now at long last, the secrets of Steam are revealed to one and all in this stunning reprint of Popular Invention, the official Journal of Steam Age Technology and Invention. Marvel, Dear Reader, as we unveil before your Wondering Eyes:

The Nautilus: Nemo's revolutionary Submersible revealed! And a Visit to the Mysterious Island!
Martian War Machines in Sussex: Truth or Hoax?
The Albatross: Astounding Airship-vehicle of Robur, The Master of the World!
Challengers of the Air: The Prussian Steam Zeppelin Forces!
Battlefield Titans: The LandFortresses of the Iron Chancellor and a Look at the Secret LandFortress Werks!
The Very Latest in Steam Automotives for your Perusal!
Direct From The "Stinktier Werks" of Bayern: Inside a Bavarian Aeroship!
Gigantic Steam Automatons!
Plus interviews with the Inventors and Masterminds Selected by You, the Readers, as Those Most Interesting, including: Captain Nemo, Jules Verne, Lord Tomino, Lady Ada, Robur the Conqueror, Ferdinand von Zeppelin and more!

So join us, dear reader, for a journey into another Age, an Age of Marvels and Amazements. A Wondrous Time called the - Steam Age.

Loved that game!

Jinkies!
nem Offline OP
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
OP Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
So what were you'll thinking when you voted for Urban Fantasy/Urban Horror? Any game in partic? That is one genre that is bursting with published RPGs.

M
M
Mmmm ... just 're-watching' Riddick and was thinking that =might= be a great 'setting' for a game ... with the right GM <wink>

MikeD
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Didn't we have a short lived game based on the Dark Angel series? Post apocalyptic with enhanced humans?

Mayhem Inc.
Mayhem Inc.
Zeim, I loved that show!

Jinkies!
nem Offline OP
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
OP Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Ah, Dark Angel! That was a classic. Think how much more impressive it would've been if made now!

MikeD. Yes, I think the Riddick-verse has some potential. The setting's been explored more in the games and anime, but from the films it's only really the second that portrays a wider, more flavorful universe. The first and third are more generic gritty, grimy, truckers in space sci-fi.

But hey, Gryphon's got a topic running for this! wink

https://www.dreamlyrics.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=985478#Post985478

Meanwhile, I was just looking at urban fantasy games and saw that The Dresden Files now uses FATE Accelerated, which is a system I've been meaning to try (since I bought it). But then I noticed that Gryphon's already running a game, so I wondered if it is some other flavour of urban fantasy/horror that folks are pining for.

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
I am playing in Dresden Files and it has reminded me how smooth and easy it is to play in a current urban setting as we all know it.. or one like it. And the fantasy element makes it even more fun! grin

nem Offline OP
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
OP Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
I was actually flicking through Vampire: The Masquerade yesterday, but gawd I'd forgotten how bad its combat system is! It's beyond bad, it's impracticable--- OK, obviously it can't be, otherwise no-one could play it. But honestly, Rifts' combat system is a lesson in elegance compared to that.

Vampire: The Masquerade is a classic setting though. Still have a soft spot for it. smile

Mayhem Inc.
Mayhem Inc.
Nemarsde, so do the setting and use a different system for it smile

Jinkies!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Talon475, Randal Trimmer, Kimf, Yvon, TennesseeBaron
177 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Zeim
Member Spotlight
AJ
AJ
Hertfordshire, UK
Forum Statistics
Forums103
Topics2,840
Posts140,707
Members177
Most Online296
Jan 19th, 2020
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
†Restricted forums can only be accessed by DreamLyrics members of the age of 18 years or older. Access which is granted by the Behind Closed Doors Procedure.
™DreamLyrics Play-by-Post. DreamLyrics Play-by-Post does not own copyright on DreamLyrics texts or graphics, except trademarked DreamLyrics logos and logotypes. The works contained in DreamLyrics are copyrighted (automatically, under the Berne Convention) by the original authors and may be available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence. (See Copyrights for details.)
Privacy Policy