Eye of the Dragon
DreamLyrics Play-by-Post
Who's Online Now
4 members (Asta, Pandemonium, Mina, Alduin), 21 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Dice Roller
You will need to enable Javascript in order to view the Dice Roller.
Games Recruiting List

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
Neptune #984635 Sun 05/01/20 19:27 UTC
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Zhu

She stands in the midst of the activity, observing with interest as the workers begin to setup their camp. She appears to pay the wet weather little concern, though she does pull up the hood of her cloak to cover her head. The shadows caused by the hood make her blue-white skin and silver eyes appear even more ethereal. She glances to each side, but without wandering around she determines it will be hard to see any more of the town from here.

She turns as the two men approach, her lips quirking into a small frown as the man with the eyepatch tells the workers to move their campsite. Looking over the ground she doesn't see the difference between one spot over the other and she wonders at the reason for the order. Clearly this man is in charge, to some degree, of the caravanserai, but is there any logic in the instruction for the men to move or is this man simply one of those who feels a need to order people about?

As the men pick up and move, she nods approvingly of Kriv's activating a light on his staff to help them see better and once they have a tent setup and have gathered some of the soaking wet wood into a pile she speaks a word and points, causing the wood to ignite into a comfortable campfire.

In the brighter light she examines the man with the eyepatch and his half-elf companion more closely for a few moments. Then, as Bern has wandered off and Davorar and Jaliera are huddled together she moves over to the Dragonborn. "I am willing to brave the elements in this campsite, or even better in the woods to the West. Otherwise, without wandering around town the only place to stay I noted was that 'Six Windows Boarding House' we passed on the way in."

Neptune #984693 Tue 07/01/20 08:30 UTC
Administrator
Administrator
Davroar

He returns a smile to Jaliera for wanting to stay with him. He noticed that she bought new warmer clothing earlier for the trip and feels there is no need to push his suggestion to sleep under a roof. Instead he will gently wrap his arm around hers and says, "Let's see what Kriv and Zhu want to do." Walking with her over to where Zhu and Kriv are standing at the newly created campfire he holds out his hands to warm them up and comments, "Nice. Thanks Zhu for starting the fire. I saw that boarding house too when we came in. Should we check it out? Or should we find where Bern has wandering off to?"

Neptune #984725 Tue 07/01/20 20:16 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

She returns his smile and happily accepts him embrace and the suggestion to go chat with Kriv and Zhu. She does notice the two men, the one with the eye patch stands out but she continues to Kriv & Zhu with Davroar. She listens for a reply whilst taking advantage of the fire.

Neptune #984753 Wed 08/01/20 13:39 UTC
Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
DM

Arus
Arus was a bit surprised that Triboar was so small. From all the talk he had heard about the town, it was never compared in size with Yartar. As he strolled to the Northshield House, he tried to make sense of it and soon it was obvious. Triboar sat at an important caravan crossroad. It made sense that a town would exist here. There was demand for a place for travelers to rest for a night before getting on their way. The town center itself was small, but the ranches and farms in the surrounding area meant that it was a sprawling community which was spread out quite a bit. As he made his way towards his intended destination, he passed more farmhouses than places of business.

The Northshield House turned out to be a nice, quiet inn. He could tell that it was well kept and tended to as he approached. He opened the door and stepped inside and his arrival was a signal for three large mastiffs to rise off the floor. They neither barked nor approached but they did seem to be very much on alert. "SIT" came the order to the dogs who were obedient and lowered themselves back to the ground. Arus could not help but notice that their focus was on him even as they were ordered to relax.

[Linked Image]
"Welcome to the Northshield House," was the greeting from a dark-skinned woman that rose from a seat behind a desk situated near the entrance way. "I am Urgala, your hostess. Will you be spending the night?"

Bern
Bern, having found his way to the street, also finds his way to some folks that are in the last stages of clearing out of the market to get directions to some places to grab a drink and he decides on a place called the Talking Troll. It is a short way down the north-south road on his left. As he opens the door to walk in, he is blasted by the odor of alcohol that has permeated wood. It was a dim, smelly, low-beamed place crammed with mismatched, battered old furniture and drunks. Part of the roof is open to the sky and at the moment, a steady but light rain was falling past two charred beams, washing away bird droppings that had covered the floor and tops of tables and chairs underneath it. Fortunately it was possible to skirt the vicinity of that area to reach the bar.

Davroar, Jaliera, Kriv, Zhu
Kriv illuminated the campground for those setting up camp and received thanks for shedding light for the workers as they toiled. And Zhu was thanked too as she provided a fire for them. These were minor tasks but their small gestures were appreciated by those who did not have their abilities.

It was becoming clear to Kriv now that Jaliera and Davroar had formed a bond that went beyond being traveling companions. The young rogue, barely having hit the age where she might be able to breed, had latched on to the druid. They came over and the quartet started a discussion about where to go next and where they might spend the night.

As the conversation commenced, the one-eyed man and his elven companion made their way over to the small grouping. As they got closer, the collective group could see them more clearly. The red eye patch over his eye was emblazoned with the black serpent symbol of the Zhentarim. He was dressed immaculately in a business man's suit. His companion, the suave half-elf, stayed by his side in a manner that hinted that he was there as a body guard. "Are you in charge of this caravan?" the man with the eyepatch asked the group.

-Nep
Neptune #984756 Wed 08/01/20 15:35 UTC
M
M
<Bern>

His first thought upon opening the door was that the Talking Troll had to be the =worst= give he had ever visited. But these places were usually a great source for local information. He made his way to the bar, keeping as near the walls as he could to avoid 'ambiance' provided by the fire that had apparently burned a hole in the roof.

He waited for the bartender and ordered a whiskey when he arrived.

He leaned his back against to bar and, drink in hand, and as he sipped, he scoped out the patrons.

MikeD
Neptune #984828 Fri 10/01/20 18:59 UTC
nem Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Arus
(at Northshield House)

He made sure to wipe his feet on the mat, then unpin and hang his sodden cloak on the stand by the door.

It would be rude to do otherwise.

Approaching the desk, Arus gave Urgala a charming smile considering his rough countenance.

The dogs reminded him of the houndsharks his caretaker kept when he was a boy. Loyal creatures, fierce when called upon but content to mind their own business.

So he gave them no obvious attention and kept a respectful distance from their owner.

"Aye, ma'am, I hope to."

Arus looked around at the well-worn furnishings of a clean and tidy house, and recalled his time lodged at the fleapit in Yartar. Whitewings. Northshield House was luxury by comparison.

"Though surely every traveller in town must want to stay here?" He said to the lady of the house.

Neptune #984877 Sun 12/01/20 02:38 UTC
AJ Offline
Kriv

The Dragonborn noble glanced over the pair of Zhent-aligned mammals and weighed his words with care. Speaking authoritatively,

"It would be more accurate to say we are responsible for its protection. Whom would wish to know those in charge, and why?"

Neptune #984897 Mon 13/01/20 00:18 UTC
Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
DM
Out on the carvan camping grounds, the man covering his head from the rain with the sleeve of his cape answers Kriv directly.

"Yes. Formalities. My apologies, the rain came suddenly. We need to check you in. My name is Urlam Stockspool and I run the caravan company. My associate here is Valken Naspeer. Hmmm. Responsible for it's protection? It would seem that you are a spokesperson, at the very least. Would you mind if we stepped out of the rain. We should speak inside." Urlam indicates going inside a building adjacent to the grounds (T9). It was the same building that the mercenary guards had hurried into.

Over at the Talking Troll, Bern walks in and moves over to the bar, watching his footing with every step. Many of those wood panels that were the floor under his feet were rotten from many rains and slippery with moss and algae. Over at the bar, where it was dry. The bartender sees you approach and lays down a notebook he was reading under some torchlight and approaches the ranger at the bar. "Whiskey it is my good man. I shall be back in a moment."

And he was back with the drink in a moment. Bern might have expected rotgut but his first sip is surprising. It was rich but subtle and well balanced and it warmed his insides as slid down as the back of his throat, as smooth as any he had tasted before. It was good, really good. "What do you think?" the bartender asked.

The hostess over at the Northshield House smiled at Arus's suggestion that her place was the favorite of travelers to the town. "Thank you for the compliment. I like to think this is a good place to stay. You honor me by saying so. There are other places I guess. It's a gold piece per night and I have only a few rooms left. Harvesttide is just recently over and a number of caravans have pulled into town.

-Nep
Neptune #984902 Mon 13/01/20 13:15 UTC
M
M
<Bern>

He that first sip brought an unexpected smile to his face. He turned to the bartender when he spoke. "Don't take this the wrong way, but it is unexpectedly good ... considering", he made an exaggerated 'glance' at the hole in the ceiling, "the ...decor", he said with a shrug.

MikeD
Neptune #984906 Mon 13/01/20 15:15 UTC
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Zhu

Waiting with Kriv, Jaliera, and Davroar she lets the Dragonborn lead the conversation. In the meantime she simply observes the man and his bodyguard closely.

Neptune #984923 Mon 13/01/20 20:50 UTC
nem Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Arus
(At Northshield House)

The triton laid his hand on the desk, then withdrew it leaving a gold coin.

"Never was a gold piece better spent." He said with an alluring smile.

It was a steep price but it might only be for the night. He wasn't going to crawl the town looking for lodging at this hour, and sleeping in the street would make entirely the wrong impression.

1 gp seemed to him at least a fair price. It was a homely house indeed.

"My name is Arus. Arus Ahlorsath.

"I should like to leave my pack in my room, if I may. Then I said I would meet with the rest of my caravan. How late do you serve food?"

Neptune #984924 Mon 13/01/20 21:15 UTC
Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
OOC: With Gypsy tending to Tusk, I aim to give our fearless leader some time to react. It's important that she's part of the thread. I'll respond to everyone once everyone posts something.

-Nep
Neptune #984927 Mon 13/01/20 21:50 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

She smiles at Kriv before turning to the two strangers.

"I suppose it would be even more accurate to say that we were the caravan's protection as we have other business here. Perhaps you could tell us more of the town as you seem to be the authority here?"

Neptune #984929 Mon 13/01/20 22:16 UTC
Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
Urlam

"Let's go inside and talk."

He turned and started walking to the building. His assistant did to. The fact that he turned away gave you the clear sense that this was a non-negotiable demand. Considering that the caravan parked in his plot of land, he would have authority.

-Nep
Neptune #984931 Mon 13/01/20 22:59 UTC
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Zhu

She glances around the group and shrugs, as if to say, **Well, at least we'll be out of the rain.** She then moves to follow, unless one of the others objects.

Neptune #984954 Tue 14/01/20 04:38 UTC
AJ Offline
Kriv

He inclined his head slightly at Zhu's glance, affirming the call to follow the locals within. As they went, protocol demanded that, with their names given, He followed suit.

"Kriv Norixius of Norixius Keep. 'Spokesperson' fits well enough."

Neptune #984959 Tue 14/01/20 05:29 UTC
Administrator
Administrator
Davroar

He follows along with the rest as well as giving his own name to complete the introductions.

Neptune #984968 Tue 14/01/20 14:21 UTC
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Zhu

"Zhuirentel Elendaril of Silverymoon." She offers her name as well, watching the man for any reaction. After all he wears his Faction Association to the Zhentarim brazenly on his eye-patch, and Silverymoon and Zhentil Keep are traditionally on opposites sides of most issues.

Neptune #984995 Tue 14/01/20 21:26 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

She offers her name too and moves with the others so that she can hear what is said.

Neptune #985093 Thu 16/01/20 18:55 UTC
Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
DM

At Northshield House

"We expect travelers to arrive hungry in the evening" Urgala says, smiling at Arus. "Here is your key. The room number is on it. Put away your gear, go tend to your business. Come to the dining room when you can. Sovarish will serve you and if his shift ends, Manisol will be able to fetch you somethings we save for late arriving guests. Your gold here buys you one meal too. It's a good deal, I think!"

Urgala has a very welcoming manner about her, a trait that has surely worked well for her in the hospitality business. Arus was used to the stares and turned heads because of his exotic looks but he got none of that from this woman. She accepts the gold piece from Arus, hands him the key and points to steps behind her. "Your room, as are all rooms, is upstairs. The dining hall is past the stairs there on this main floor."

At the Talking Troll

Bern is surprised by the manner in which he is responded to. The proprietor, a tall, thin man raised his arm dramatically towards the charred beams above, averted his eyes from it and then threw his head back in a dramatic way with the back of his other hand pressed against his forehead, letting his long, straight locks drape down his back. He then said with an impassioned wail "Alas, the thatched roof of my place as set ablaze, chilling the spirits of my fine clientele!"

Then his visage changed in another overly dramatic manner to that of a man exuding pride and honor. "My great customers deserve nothing but the best that their coin can buy." He extends a hand in greeting and adds, "I am Kaelen Sarssir at your service!"

The Triboar Travelers

Urlam turns around once on his way over the building to see if the group all followed. Satisfied, he stops again only as he reaches the door to open it. There is a sign on the door. It is small and would have been virtually impossible to see from the road. It read "The Triboar Travelers". Once the door is open, he walks in but his associate, the half elf lingers by the threshold to usher the visitors in.

Once inside the building, you see a number of other people, men and women. They are appear to be mercenary guards. Before talking to your group, Urlam says to them, "Alright. Everything seems to be in order with you. Did everything go well?"

One of the others, a burly man, says, "Easy job boss. No real troubles. We saw some orcs up in the hills but when they saw us they fled into their holes and we didn't chase."

"Great. Good job. Here's your payment." Urlam hands the man a money purse. The man looks inside it, smiles and then turns to the other men. "What do you say? Let's go spend some of this gold?"

With that, the other group departs as a whole leaving Davroar, Jaliera, Kriv and Zhu alone with Urlam and his associate.

"Those guards work for me and they do a great job. Very reliable. We don't tolerate slackers and troublemakers. We have been trying to build a good reputation and I think we're doing very well. The reputation of the Zhentarim has improved much in recent years and I'm doing my part. That leads me to you. You must not be aware, so I forgive you for that, but all caravan guards are to operate through my company. We cannot have rogue groups doing that job."

He pauses there to allow responses.

-Nep
Neptune #985098 Thu 16/01/20 19:16 UTC
M
M
<Bern>

He was just about to ... comment ... on the overly dramatic 'tale' when he realized it was a put on of some sort for some reason.

"Pleased to meet you Kaelen", he said extending his hand. I am Bern. And I just arrived with the caravan. But I have to ask ...", he continued after a short pause. "It is apparent that the 'damage' was done some time ago. Why have you not repaired it", he asked. "Do you welcome 'nature' into your fine establishment ... or are you so focused on providing your customers such wonderful ... beverages that there is not enough coil left to fix the roof?"

He did include a grin ... hoping to show his 'interest' with out any 'condemnation'.

Last edited by Neptune; Fri 17/01/20 01:04 UTC. Reason: You're Bern not Tam. Wrong game Mr D. IFIFY

MikeD
Neptune #985100 Thu 16/01/20 20:27 UTC
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Zhu

She waits for Kriv to reply, as he has taken the lead in conversing with Urlam, although now that they've all arrived in Triboar the group's role in protecting the caravan is done anyway so she doesn't see any issues.

Neptune #985110 Fri 17/01/20 02:01 UTC
AJ Offline
Kriv

The Dragonborn made full use of his considerable height, noble mien and inscrutable, inhuman features as he met Urlam’s gaze. A manipulative feeder line about the Zhentarim’s reputation might gull the unwary, but ‘improved’ did not mean ‘positive’, certainly not at this time.

“No forgiveness is necessary, since we are by no means ‘caravan guards’ as you appear to think of them, and have at no point claimed that designation. We are responsible for its protection, certainly, and thus should anything untoward happen we would exact restitution from those responsible down to the last copper piece with interest, but as you say, your people are responsible for making sure nothing like that happens here. It will be an intriguing measure of where the Zhentarim stand these days, certainly, but I am sure that we can both report there are no rogue groups operating here. Do we have an understanding?”

Neptune #985144 Fri 17/01/20 16:22 UTC
nem Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Arus

He took the key, giving his thanks.

Arus wasn't consciously charming, he didn't turn it on for the ladies. It was just his triton character, raised to always be courteous even when despatching an enemy at swordpoint.

Perhaps it was a form of discipline. A paladin had to somehow distinguish themselves from the foes they fought, since there was often little to distinguish their deeds.

It would be disingenuous to say that Arus was ambivalent to women though. He loved them and loving was his favourite past-time.

Though Urgala wasn't interested, the triton was unfazed, not looking for a distraction. He wanted to get to the tavern and pursue his mission.

So he didn't linger long in his room, depositing his pack and rather conspicuous trident. It hadn't seemed so out of place in the river town, Yartar. There were no fish to spear in Triboar unless they were already served on a plate.

Arus ripped off a couple of pieces of dried sausage from his rations, then headed out.

In the hallway, he threw the morsels to the mastiffs as he retrieved his cloak.

"Don't wait up." He said to them wryly.

Then he ventured forth into the night, into the town. To the sign of the Talking Troll.

Neptune #985573 Wed 29/01/20 22:54 UTC
Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
DM

The rain started to abate a bit as the triton made his way towards the Talking Troll. Nothing seemed far away in the town center and this was a only a short stroll from the Northshield House. He walked in and knew immediately that this was not a high class place.

As he opens the door to walk in, he is blasted by the odor of alcohol that has permeated wood. It was a dim, smelly, low-beamed place crammed with mismatched, battered old furniture and drunks. Part of the roof is open to the sky and at the moment, a steady but light rain was falling past two charred beams, washing away bird droppings that had covered the floor and tops of tables and chairs underneath it. Fortunately it was possible to skirt the vicinity of that area to reach the bar. Over there he sees a man, with a bow slung over his shoulder, talking to the bartender.

OOC: OK sue me. I cut-n-pasted from a previous post. But I figured that we might as well handle the "chance" meeting of Arus and Bern. And I purposely didn't have the barkeeper answer Bern's question just yet.

-Nep
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10

Moderated by  AquaDyne, Neptune, Zeim 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Talon475, Randal Trimmer, Kimf, Yvon, Xiang Chin
177 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Member Spotlight
TennesseeMaiden
TennesseeMaiden
Tiptonville, TN
Forum Statistics
Forums103
Topics2,815
Posts139,451
Members177
Most Online296
Jan 19th, 2020
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
†Restricted forums can only be accessed by DreamLyrics members of the age of 18 years or older. Access which is granted by the Behind Closed Doors Procedure.
™DreamLyrics Play-by-Post. DreamLyrics Play-by-Post does not own copyright on DreamLyrics texts or graphics, except trademarked DreamLyrics logos and logotypes. The works contained in DreamLyrics are copyrighted (automatically, under the Berne Convention) by the original authors and may be available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence. (See Copyrights for details.)
Privacy Policy