Eye of the Dragon
DreamLyrics Message Gaming
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (KenSeg, Phoenix Prime), 0 guests, and 23 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Dice Roller
You will need to enable Javascript in order to view the Dice Roller.
Games List
You will need to enable Javascript in order to view the Games List.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#976225
Sat 20/07/19 16:52 UTC
Sat 20/07/19 16:52 UTC
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 5,601
Wolf Offline
Moderator
Wolf  Offline
Moderator
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 5,601
Volli

"For you, I suspect our suspicions are correct. The timing, manner, and nature of your sleep fit all too well in that person's plans. Though I suspect you have vexed him by eventually waking up."

Sister Ekaterina then looked to the still figure in the medical bay bed.

"I suspect that it was her own curiosity that sent her off seeking to be closer to the Pancreator; Sister Marion may well have been right about my balalaika being special and it may have served as a catalyst for all this. And yes, I have given him a very stern talking to. On the other hand, it did allow the prevention of something very, very bad happening; the real problem is that she hasn't been able to find her way back home.

"What is truly interesting is that the Vesh the Vorox knew exactly what had happened, this separation of her spirit and her body ..."

There was barely enough time for her to finish her words when the claxons went off and their bindings to the floor set free. It took the faux priestess more than a little bit of floundering to finally grab a bar or edge to hang on to. She bit her lower lip, pressing hard before she looked back to Brother Justinian.

"This is so not good."

She then made sure he had a good two-handed grip and wasn't about to go anywhere. A few moments more and she gave her traveling companion a very, very serious look. She did, however, wait, wait while the emergency suits were located, the explanations made, and the honorable Lysander's departure complete. He was not completely forgotten, however.

"Thank you ... and please keep us informed ... and ... and ... be very careful who you let into the infirmary."

She let that strange statement hang a bit, before speaking again, this time softer.

"I have it on good authority this may not be a simple engineering problem. You are a Brother of Battle, are you not? Those skills may be more valuable now. Because if this ship gets boarded, as I have been told it might, I can think of few things it carries more controversial than us"

#977195
Sun 04/08/19 21:18 UTC
Sun 04/08/19 21:18 UTC
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 3,214
Muddy Offline OP

Ooze-based life form
Muddy  Offline OP

Ooze-based life form
Moderator
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 3,214
Volli

(OOC this is all out of earshot of Lysander)

“Ancient relics and ancient knowledge” Theddeus replies dryly “in my book two things that on the balance should probably be left in the past and well enough alone. The Holy text says such objects are divinely sent to maintain a watch on us and account for our sins, that being the case choosing you and pairing you with me only confirms that we are clueless as to the intent of the divine.
And yes, Vorox are very perceptive souls, far closer to the pulse and rhythms of life in the known worlds than we will ever be.

Thaddeus lets out a low, slow sigh once Lysander had left the compartment

“Sister Marion, I suspect we are all caught in her wake, I’m sure your master is worming his way into her confidence as we speak or at least trying to.”

He looks towards you

“It may not surprise you to learn than events not dissimilar to this have happened before, the followers of Eskaton can sometimes become a nexus you know, they move one way and the universe tends to follow in kind dragging the rest of us along with it.”

He glances towards Sister Anna

“Sister Marion is unfortunately also headstrong, she doesn’t see what that young woman in there is. I don’t think she is here to be taught, more the other way around I suspect.”

He pushes himself off the bed, drifting gently in the zero gravity until he reaches his intended target, the compartment containing the evact suits, taking two of the suits out as he continues to listen. He hands one to you with a frown at your last statement gesturing for you to begin putting it on.

‘Brother Battle but currently in a medical gown and nought else” he adds “and clearly you are privy to more secrets than I am – what makes you believe we are going to be boarded – and by whom?”

He busies himself pulling the suit on from the feet up, listening to you as he does so. With the power and all the normal operational noises of the ship now stopped, it is now eerily quiet in the compartment.

#977196
Sun 04/08/19 21:41 UTC
Sun 04/08/19 21:41 UTC
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 3,214
Muddy Offline OP

Ooze-based life form
Muddy  Offline OP

Ooze-based life form
Moderator
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 3,214
Chief Frost

(OOC – just to paint the scene a little more for you here, at the moment all you have ‘on’ are the emergency lighting panels which popped on when the power went off. None of the monitors or interfaces are working, the control room does have a power cell backup, that hasn’t triggered either which suggests it’s probably a software rather than a hardware issue as the reactor is still very clearly on and functional).

Joshua frowns at your second point

“Er boss there is only one person aboard who has the necessary access to shut off or alter ships power on this scale - that’s you. Not even Captain could do that even if she wanted to, so unless you gave someone all of your master access codes….”

Toby interrupts.

“There are manual bypass shunts on the ships power grid spread throughout the ship like a web. They all link to different systems that ultimately feed back into this compartment– we can switch them over but with 50 of them spread across three decks it will take time for both of us to go through all of them. Which system shunts do you want us to go to first?”

“How about the Think Machine core?” asks Joshua quickly “if that’s the problem we can use the bypasses in there – 6 are in that compartment alone.”

#977199
Sun 04/08/19 22:07 UTC
Sun 04/08/19 22:07 UTC
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 3,214
Muddy Offline OP

Ooze-based life form
Muddy  Offline OP

Ooze-based life form
Moderator
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 3,214
Aari

The Captain grimaces

“Well that’s not right it has to come out, especially with the power off they automatic key locking mechanism shouldn’t work.”

She pulls herself forward in floating slowly until she passes over the pilot’s seat pulling herself with into it with the grace of years of practice. She repeats what you have done with the same results then holds her chin with one hand.

“Well something is locking it in place, if we try to force it, we will damage the key and the receiving console.”

She looks first at you then the XO

“Do what you can, in the meantime the flight deck, such as it is, is yours. I’m going aft to assess the situation, our deceleration cycle wasn’t fully completed when the power went out so we are going to have much bigger problems if we don’t get our engines working in the next 20 minutes.”

The XO nods

“Oh, that’s the primary thought on my mind as well. Our personal links may not work without the internal signal repeaters off, please send a runner if you need anything.”

#977212
Mon 05/08/19 15:22 UTC
Mon 05/08/19 15:22 UTC
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 39,030
M
MikeD Offline

Administrator
MikeD  Offline

Administrator
M
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 39,030
<C.F. Frost>

"Getting power on in here and getting the think machine core reset are your first two tasks", he told Toby and Joshua. "I will be working to get a hand on the sabotage."


MikeD
#977282
Wed 07/08/19 00:10 UTC
Wed 07/08/19 00:10 UTC
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 5,601
Wolf Offline
Moderator
Wolf  Offline
Moderator
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 5,601
Volli

Turnin' back the hands of time
Holdin' on to misty memories
Chasin' shadows thru the night
Tryin' to find that happy ending
Reaching out for another chance at heaven
We can still find the way if we try


The faux priestess just gave the Battle Brother a look. It was cool and even, still and quiet. It was, as if, perhaps, the temperature of the room had just fallen more than a few degrees. As if, perhaps, the season had just changed, from summer to winter.

A bit ironic, considering what had brought them all to the medical bay in the very first place, so many millions of miles ago.

Then she just ducked her head, looking at the floor a foot in front of BrotherJustinian.

"If you believe in pieces of paper, of the proclamation of Duke and planetary Lords, in the politics of leverage and the game of bloody chess that plays out in Court, he was not my Master.

"He was my Owner."

Head still bowed, she quietly continued.

"And yet every day, every minute, every second that little girl in the next room has me questioning what is the truth and what is not. But is that not what you wish? Do you want me to be his Ornament? Would you truly rather I be that dark manipulative thing you believe I am? Believe me, Brother Justinian, it would be far easier and I'd sleep better and I wouldn't end up talking to myself and wondering why, why I am trying to be worthy of the trust, worthy of the faith she puts in me.

"Do you realize the trust I am giving you to even say this?

"Give me the chance Brother Justinian. This is not what I'm good at and I'm going to fall more than once, but, but I am at least trying."

Slowly lifting her head, Sister Ekaterina let out a long long breath. She took the suit and looked at it with more than a little amount of suspicion.

"For example, I am a people person. Things mechanical or technical? I've broken door latches just by looking at them."

Of course, she gratefully took all the advice her companion would give her in putting on the suit. She was a scholar of sorts and paid close attention, answering his last questions as each fastening was fastened and each fitting fitted.

"I am sure He is trying to woo Sister Marion. I am not sure he will succeed. I am actually afraid for her because if she cannot be wooed her life expectancy is not good. If He doesn't get rid of her, one of his Court will certainly try.

"As for your garb, alas I was not given a schedule. I do know that the Doctor and the Captain were very impressed with you.

"As for the last?

"Let us just say the crew of this ship is unique and at least one of them may share one of the little sister's gifts. Though when it comes to being actually useful, that turned out to be a far different matter. Especially, especially, especially ..."

Then it was all reaction. In a way, it was far better proof than her words. It was reflexive, instinctive and sudden. First, her head tilted and then in zero-gee she twisted in the air, a hasty scrabbling from one handhold to the next, a push off to send her in an awkward tumble towards the barely open door. The only good thing was Brither Justinian had just finished getting her into the evacuation suit.

One hand tried to snare the bulkhead jamb, trying to slip fingers in the gap.

"MYSHKA!"


If she could, she pulled herself close.

"Awake ... you are awake? Are you well ..."

Then she rested her head against the wall and whispered again.

"... myshka ..."



You gotta believe in the mystery
How it used to be
We were more than lonely drifters in the dark
Oh I can remember the sun inside
When love held us tight
Can't you see I need that magic in my heart
Instead of it tearing apart

Last edited by Wolf; Wed 07/08/19 01:40 UTC.
#977613
Sun 11/08/19 22:44 UTC
Sun 11/08/19 22:44 UTC
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 3,214
Muddy Offline OP

Ooze-based life form
Muddy  Offline OP

Ooze-based life form
Moderator
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 3,214
Volli

Thaddeus grunts and puffs a little, whether during the process of putting on his evac suit or as a commentary over some or all of what you are saying its immediately. What is clear from his demeanour is that he may not be paying full attention to everything you say.

“I’m not entirely ignorant of the trappings of the Courtly maze, and I don’t doubt that being that close to your ‘owner’ came with a heavy price to pay. Never the less you and I are here because the Pancreator has a plan for you. I can see that, and as a man of simple faith that’s good enough for me.”

He finally manages to wriggle into the suit somewhat inelegantly pulling it up to his neck with a grimace of satisfaction

“Perhaps you should focus on that rather than clinging so tightly to your past. That’s the only problem I see with you. That and you talk too much…..”

He stops somewhat mid-sentence and watches you as you suddenly propel yourself across the room

“Where are you going now? We do have to check each other’s suit seals.....”

The door to the quarantine section slides back quite easily if you pull it, Lysander would have no reason to keep it sealed and perhaps left open for you out of kindness whilst he was gone. It is better lit in that section, self-contained and powered as it appeared to be.

Jessica, still lying on the bed now has her eyes wide open, fixed and staring at the ceiling above. She keeps repeating the same phrase over and over again – no, not saying it, almost singing it, the same phrase over and over again as if stuck on one line of a hymn

“Eight thousand…....left. At the last, not the first, eight thousand, left.”

#977614
Sun 11/08/19 22:52 UTC
Sun 11/08/19 22:52 UTC
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 3,214
Muddy Offline OP

Ooze-based life form
Muddy  Offline OP

Ooze-based life form
Moderator
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 3,214

Chief Frost

Joshua and Toby both nod, then look at each other for a moment and then back to you.

“Wait..what?” says Toby “you are saying this is actually sabotage now. No kidding sabotage? As in someone aboard this ship is trying to do us harm? Really?”

“I don’t believe that” adds Joshua “ I don’t believe anyone we know and work with here would do that.”

He looks at you.

“What….what should we do now then? Do you know who’s doing this or why?”

Toby looks at you as well

"I dont want to speak out of place Chief but if we have to fix this or stop it I think we have a right to know, even if it is just the basics.Not that i'm telling you your mind, I would never do that."

#977618
Sun 11/08/19 23:34 UTC
Sun 11/08/19 23:34 UTC
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 39,030
M
MikeD Offline

Administrator
MikeD  Offline

Administrator
M
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 39,030
<C.F. Frost>

He sighed. "There have been too many problems of late to have been 'random' ... especially this 'cascade failure'. So I am assuming a worst case ... that a saboteur is on the ship ... especially since the 'environmental systems' are still working.

"For now the 'why' is =not= important. What we =do= need to work on now is what needs work to keep us going. We need to sort out 'who/what/where/why' and get the ship 'back on course'. So get to work on your assigned tasks for now. I suspect that we will be =very= busy for some time now as we work to fix the current problems and =then= look for other 'potential problems' that have not manifested yet. After that ... when we do not have to worry about imminent death ... we can look for someone to blame ."


MikeD
#977795
Wed 14/08/19 18:52 UTC
Wed 14/08/19 18:52 UTC
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 3,214
Muddy Offline OP

Ooze-based life form
Muddy  Offline OP

Ooze-based life form
Moderator
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 3,214
Chief Frost

There is a long almost icy silence as you see the two apprentices soak up each and every word you give the. As a Gannok, Joshua with his huge eyes tended to look a little permanently shocked almost all of the time so it was hard to tell what he was thinking but Toby’s demeanour changes visibly from the start and end of the conversation.

“Wow” is all he says “so…who do we trust now. I mean this is big news?”

Joshua seems to be bursting to add something but Toby gets there first so what he blurts out next can best be described as ‘high pressure’ sentences.

“I think you are wrong” he snaps, not rudely but with a good deal of passion in his voice “I think what you are seeing is just an old ship reacting badly to a major refit, its happened before just not as bad as this. Someone deliberately damaging the ship that they are aboard would effectively be committing suicide, Vesh would notice someone with that sort of demeanour – we talk he and I, neither of us sense any problems with the crew even the new guys. So, I think you are wrong – respectfully”

He stops dead

“I’m not going to say anything else, if that puts me in trouble, I fully accept that outcome.”

“I think we need to get on with the jobs at hand” adds Toby coldly “is there anything else Chief Frost?”

#977806
Wed 14/08/19 19:17 UTC
Wed 14/08/19 19:17 UTC
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 39,030
M
MikeD Offline

Administrator
MikeD  Offline

Administrator
M
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 39,030
<C.F. Frost>

He listened patiently to his assistants. It was clear that they were having some trouble 'making the adjustment' in their thinking.

"The chances that everything that has happened since we launched being 'coincidental failures' is much less unlikely than sabotage", he said slowly.

"But the important thing is to get the ship sorted ... unless you really plan to stand there and let everyone ... including yourselves ... die here and now."

He turns to Toby, "Exactly. So let's get to it. We can worry about the 'who/what/where/why/when' once we have restored the ship's systems."


MikeD
#978118
Sun 18/08/19 14:58 UTC
Sun 18/08/19 14:58 UTC
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 5,601
Wolf Offline
Moderator
Wolf  Offline
Moderator
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 5,601
Volli

Now, it’s only a dream, a single wish
But it’s in these hands that take aim and miss
I fight it, but I can’t wake up
I was given a vision of the end
But it’s here in these hands that cannot mend
And the memory will haunt me for all eternity


It was Volksha that snapped her head around. The wolf princess. The sister.

"Then stop trying to push me away..."

How can I destroy my weakness? ‘Cause I wanna be stronger
I need to keep them all safe, but I lack the power
If we learn to wield our flaws, then the future will be ours


"...and figure out a way you can make me one of you."

The barked words were reminiscent of something she had told him before. The best lies contain the most truth.

The wolf princess had challenged him. Make the lie the truth.

... what did i just say ... Jessica, what have you done to me ...

And then she was at the bulkhead.

Brave shine...
If you need a hand to hold, then stay the night...


Whoever she was, she paused at the bulkhead. How could she not?

Jessica was singing.

Evacuation suits were foreign to her but this was not.

"Do you recognize the song?"

That was called out, quick and sharp, to Brother Justinian as she reached back, reached back to snare the strap of her balalaika. Thus it was both of them that passed into the bay and to the little sister' side. A hand to steady her upon the side of the medical bed and the other to set the balalaika in her pathfinder's lap.

"D'vasha ... she needs to sing - show her the way."

And she did too.

"...eight thousand…....left. At the last, not the first, eight thousand, left ..."

Like a candle left in the window, or so she hoped.

...on the darkest of my days you saved my life.

#978730
Fri 30/08/19 20:11 UTC
Fri 30/08/19 20:11 UTC
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 63,080
Gypsy Offline

Wizop
Gypsy  Offline

Wizop
Administrator
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 63,080
Aari

Well she is a scraver. Scravers are supposed to be good at fiddling with tech, extracting items of interest. This should be right up her street.

She takes a gripper from her tool pack and looks for an optimum placement on the key that might be good purchase and an angle she could utilise. Carefully, applying more of a jiggle than any forces, she plays with it, feeling for any difference in movement, even a tiny bit.

Meanwhile her mind considers the problem. What might be holding it in place? Maybe applying energy or power may cause it to release? Perhaps pushing rather than pulling? She tries to remember any details that might indicate an override or lockout mechanism.

#979156
Sun 08/09/19 15:33 UTC
Sun 08/09/19 15:33 UTC
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 3,214
Muddy Offline OP

Ooze-based life form
Muddy  Offline OP

Ooze-based life form
Moderator
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 3,214
Chief Frost

Still somewhat subdued with the news that someone aboard ship was effectively is worst enemy Toby and Joshua manoeuvre their way in the zero gravity towards the first internal bulkhead door, one of a number they would have to pass through to get to their intended destination. Each of the door had a manual opening handle located behind a slide open panel, that they would need to both open and close behind them.
Some ten or so minutes later you receive an update via the personal communication links you all carried.

“Chief, Joshua here, we are now inside the main think machine core, everything looks perfectly normal here, the lights are on and the artificial gravity plating is active. Whatever the issue is, its not effecting this section. Toby is checking the main core status now.”
A pause of about 10 seconds follows

“Chief, Toby here, the think machine is behaving off normal specs, its fully operational but its presently running at 100% processing capacity – I’ve never seen that before, even when the ship is in full combat mode it doesn’t normally climb higher than 70 to 75%. That also means its drawing a lot more power kicking out a fair amount of heat, if we start setting the manual bypasses on the power grid here it may cause the core to overhead or damage it if whatever its processing isn’t complete. What do you want us to do?”


Aari


You try various and differing techniques to loosen the key to a point where you are confident that any rawer force would result in damage to either the key or the receiving mechanism. Applying your own relevant knowledge and experience to the circumstances the principle conclusion you are heading towards is that this looks far more familiar to a deadbolt security system, something designed intentionally to lock firmly where specific circumstances exist, for example, the power going off. This would suggest a hitherto unknown system, the likely trigger for this being the key used although at this point why is unknown.

Watching from behind with interest you will notice occasionally that the XO holds up an old-fashioned metal set square normally present on the navigation table by its point, appearing to line up the long edge with the flight deck view ports ahead of you.


Volli


Brother Justinian perhaps not the greatest proponent of the virtues of making a joyous noise unto the creator of all things pushes himself off the nearest solid object and with a certain level of skill drifts over to the doorway of the isolation chamber. He brings himself to a stop on the door and resting his other free hand gently across all the strings of D’vasha as he does so, who protests at this sudden silencing with a chord of previously sweet notes suddenly turning sour at his touch.

“Let me hear what she is saying before you start composing an aria to it” he snaps listening for a moment before exhaling slowly “that’s sister Marion’s teaching at work, she used referred to this as a ‘waking psalm’, voicing the words of the divine during the moments before sleeping and waking.”

He looks at you with that expression that an undecided sceptic often has

“Not my interpretation of it mind but God working in mysterious ways none the less. It’s a good sign though because it suggests she is close to waking up. Unfortunately it also suggests a likely cause - damn her for her hubris (he appears to be referring to Marion here not Jessica)”

He takes his hand off D’vasha

“Unless of course what she is saying means something more to you than it does to me.”

#979167
Sun 08/09/19 16:31 UTC
Sun 08/09/19 16:31 UTC
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 39,030
M
MikeD Offline

Administrator
MikeD  Offline

Administrator
M
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 39,030
<C.F. Frost>

He continued his 'explorations' from his console as Toby and Joshua made their way to the core.

Their report was not promising. He considered the options. It seemed likely that some 'rogue process' was running.

"Can you bring up a list of processes to see which one is using all the system resources?" The fact that he couldn't do it from his console was worrisome. That should not be possible ... unless someone had 'fiddled' stuff. The bigger concern is that besides his two assistants, no one else should have been able to get in to mess with things. That added support to the idea that the 'sabotage' had taken place during planet side repairs.


MikeD
#979241
Mon 09/09/19 18:03 UTC
Mon 09/09/19 18:03 UTC
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 63,080
Gypsy Offline

Wizop
Gypsy  Offline

Wizop
Administrator
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 63,080
Aari

She addresses the XO.

"Sir as the 'key' cannot be removed and the power outage occurred at the same time, I would suggest that the two occurrences are interlinked and both the key removal and the power outage are by design.. of some sort."

Her eyebrows raised slightly, she shrugs.

"Not sure what else I can try?"

#979503
Sun 15/09/19 13:44 UTC
Sun 15/09/19 13:44 UTC
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 5,601
Wolf Offline
Moderator
Wolf  Offline
Moderator
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 5,601
Volli

"No, I do not ..."

sister Ekaterina's answer was simple, direct and honest.

"Dvasha was with her when she began her sleep.

"The medical people said she was fading. Dvasha was an integral part of stopping that."

Her expression changed a bit, becoming exasperated, frustrated, caring and desperate all at once.

"I have considered bopping her hard over the head with him. It worked on the Avesti, after all."

She took a deep breath.

"Thus part of me truly believes that Dvasha should be here at the end."

Shifting her gaze, Sister Ekaterina focused her attention on Brother Justinian.

"No. I do not know the words. They have no special meaning in them for me. But there is something I do recognize, something that's a deeper part of me than alliances and courtly politics. It' not the words, it's how she is saying them.

"She isn't saying the Pancreator's words.

"It's a hymn. She's trying to sing them.

"Listen to her, not the what but the how.

"She's trying to sing them and she has gotten stuck."

Eyes close, quiet.

"Singing we know. Dvasha and I.

"Please let us help."

And if allowed, she would.

#979805
Sun 22/09/19 19:04 UTC
Sun 22/09/19 19:04 UTC
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 3,214
Muddy Offline OP

Ooze-based life form
Muddy  Offline OP

Ooze-based life form
Moderator
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 3,214
Aari

The XO listens to your summary, you can almost hear the gears turning as he tries to make sense of what is happening and your own conclusions

“We are starting to get caught in the gates gravity well” he notes pointing out of the viewport ahead where massive circular gate structure is now filling a considerable portion of the view, “if we cant finish our controlled deceleration we will either shoot right past on a sling shot course or get pulled down onto it. Either way as you say the two occurrences are interlinked.

I wonder if we are looking at this in the wrong way. The key is ancient, we know this with little doubt, the ship is not as old as the key but in its own right is also old, at least 900 years from the accounts I have seen. The thinking at the time they built her is very different from now, what if it had a redundant system designed to recognise old keys as well as new ones. The Strings is pretty sophisticated for its size and it appears she was built originally for either surveying or exploration.”



Chief Frost


“Bringing up the list now” replies Toby. A short silence follows

“I’m completely locked out of the core systems on my access so what I am looking at is effectively a read only display of active processes. All normal stuff apart from one process which is using at least 60% of all the systems resources. Another short silence follows.

“Nope, can’t access it, it’s a single programme that the system is naming as the “Zcerneboch Configuration”. The process map has it connected with all sub-core systems of the ship from propulsion to even the medical systems, the most secure and highest capacity connection is directly to the flight deck systems. Its behaving like some sort of system wide upgrade as best as I can determine, processing cycles indicates its already about 75% complete. I hate to say this but perhaps we should just let it finish, you know what can happen if an upgrade is shut off before completion, we could be making things worse.”


Volli


Brother Justinian smiled slightly, the otherwise unforgivable sin of belting a young priestess over the head with a musical instrument being a more Brother Battle orientated solution that he was now picturing and perhaps more than he was willing to let on. Perhaps sensing your frustration, he eases off.

“Alright, alright I capitulate, you clearly have her interests in mind, do what you can to help – but it sounds to me like she’s ‘singing’ instructions for an artillery strike..”

Wholly without warning Sister Anna’s nearest hand moves like lightning grabbing the wrist of the hand you were using to keep hold of the side of the medical bed. You experience, perhaps with a small sense of irony, what I fact it would probably be like to be clouted over the head with a musical instrument as soon as she touches you.

(See PM)

#979806
Sun 22/09/19 19:38 UTC
Sun 22/09/19 19:38 UTC
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 39,030
M
MikeD Offline

Administrator
MikeD  Offline

Administrator
M
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 39,030
<C.F. Frost>

While he listens to Toby ... he woks his console, trying to regain control of =HIS= system ... to 'isolate' and 'control' the rogue process that seems to be causing all the 'mischief' on his ship. That sort of thing just should =not= be happening on =HIS= ship and on =HIS= watch!!!


MikeD
#979820
Mon 23/09/19 13:37 UTC
Mon 23/09/19 13:37 UTC
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 63,080
Gypsy Offline

Wizop
Gypsy  Offline

Wizop
Administrator
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 63,080
Aari

"Interesting.."

Almost under her breath but she is finding this fascinating.

"Perhaps the key was fashioned as a 'distress call' and we are now en route to provide assistance?"

She speculates, almost forgetting that she is on the bridge with her very superiors.

"Interesting how the key could invade our systems to take control. Could be good to know how that might be done."

#980827
Wed 16/10/19 19:49 UTC
Wed 16/10/19 19:49 UTC
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 3,214
Muddy Offline OP

Ooze-based life form
Muddy  Offline OP

Ooze-based life form
Moderator
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 3,214
Chief Frost

Joshua adds in to the conversation via his commlink

“Chief I’m in position now with Toby, we can start shutting down the set of power and control shunts in this part of the ship as soon as you give the word. We will follow the sequence set out in the Think Machine core instruction panel here, it wont damage or shut down the core itself just slowly isolate it safely from the rest of the ship.

If the Think Machine core is the cause of these problems it will be known fairly quickly as the backups will kick in for each system.

Awaiting your instructions”

Toby adds

“The running programme in the core is now 79% complete – make that 80%. All ready here otherwise.”


Aari

The XO smiles then shrugs giving the most honest answer he can

“Possibly, I don't know, although I’ve never heard of a distress system that would lock out the ships functions and cut power when activated, that would seem to be counterintuitive. We haven’t changed course, we are just drifting in the direction of previous travel, now gravities play thing."

He waves at the straps of the co-pilots seat you are currently occupying

“Speaking of which you had better strap in whilst you are there and whilst we are still moving. Just to be sure” and adding “well there is definitely a correlation between using the key and this happening but it could just be bad timing. The navigation and jump systems only connect to the Think Machine and the jump drive, it couldn’t influence the ships power systems and not to this level even if that were possible, Charioteer and Order of Engineer systems are set up on Guild guidelines, the two are not supposed to cross their respective ‘boundaries’ of control.”

He sits back in his seat at the navigation station and smiles.

“You seem like and educated and well-rounded individual, that’s becoming clear from your time aboard so far - have you thought of applying for the Engineers or Charioteers fellowships? I dare say I could put in a recommendation for you to the captain based on your work thus far - present circumstances aside, which are not your fault any more than they are mine.”

#980828
Wed 16/10/19 20:00 UTC
Wed 16/10/19 20:00 UTC
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 39,030
M
MikeD Offline

Administrator
MikeD  Offline

Administrator
M
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 39,030
<C.F. Frost>

He would have preferred a more rigorous approach to all this, but they really didn't have the time for it now. He was pretty sure he didn't want to see what happened when the program finished. But there were other problems. "What order does it show", he asked, worried that maybe that had been corrupted to become part of the 'sabotage'.


MikeD
#980902
Fri 18/10/19 21:09 UTC
Fri 18/10/19 21:09 UTC
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 63,080
Gypsy Offline

Wizop
Gypsy  Offline

Wizop
Administrator
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 63,080
Aari

She is warming to the XO as he is not talking down to her as others have in her past. However he is still her superior by several levels and she should try to stay a little on guard.

"I was thinking about the 'distress' angle because it is a jump key and generally jump keys enable you to get to places. But there might be another more worrying possibility."

She starts to strap in, happy to be able to stay in the thick of what is happening, a rare privilege. And that vision she had before is still in the back on her mind.

"I am only speculating Sir as you kindly asked my opinion. What if it works in reverse? Designed to render our ship helpless and then act as a homing beacon bringing 'them' to us?"

She pauses.

"Chief Frost mentioned that I should consider advancing my career in that direction. I said I would give it some thought. Thanks."

#980957
Sun 20/10/19 15:38 UTC
Sun 20/10/19 15:38 UTC
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 5,601
Wolf Offline
Moderator
Wolf  Offline
Moderator
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 5,601
How can you see into my eyes like open doors?
Leading you down into my core
Where I've become so numb, without a soul
My spirit's sleeping somewhere cold
Until you find it there and lead it back home


Sister Anna woke.

"Vsyo khorosho, chto khorosho konchayetsa"

Sister Ekaterina looked own at Sister Anna, in the medical bed, meeting the young girl's gaze with eyes of lavender and blue.

"You are back with us. All is fine."

Volksha looked down, eyes closing tight for a long long moment, before opening slowly, knowing that there was but one thing that needed to be asked, that had to come before all else. It was a whisper that could not be heard - unless one had exceptional hearing - beyond the medical bay bed.

"Is my sister well? Is my sister safe?"

It didn't matter where she was as long as her sister was alive and there was still a chance to reach her.

She took a breath, deep and long.

"Bal’shoe spaseeba"

"Thank you."

She turned back, looking up to Brother Justinian, offering him a smile. Before returning her attention to Jessica, to the first person, outside her twin, who she would, maybe, one day, be able to call a friend.

"First, the ship's in trouble. Listen to Brother Justinian. We need to make sure you stay safe. Get you into one of these odd suits.

"As he instructs, pray listen also, for we probably have little time.

"Because I saw my sister too.

"I also saw Fedor Decados."

Bring me to life
I've been livin' a lie, there's nothing inside
Bring me to life
Frozen inside, without your touch
Without your love, darling
Only you are the life
Among the dead


"Sister Anna, Brother Justinian - what can either of you two tell me about the Annunaki's Shard of Possibilities?"







Last edited by Wolf; Wed 23/10/19 11:01 UTC.
#981156
Wed 23/10/19 07:06 UTC
Wed 23/10/19 07:06 UTC
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 3,214
Muddy Offline OP

Ooze-based life form
Muddy  Offline OP

Ooze-based life form
Moderator
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 3,214
(OOC - Mike, your character will know this as you've been to that location before, Joshua is reading off a physical panel that is afixed to the bulkhead in that section of the ship not a electronic or computer display screen - think if it like an emergency instuction poster which illumates / glows if the power goes off, for someone to alter it they would have to write over it or just pull it off the wall).

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Muddy 

Newest Members
Kenderlocks, Rae, jixiaolanhe, Altumarret, Quantumphear
141 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Member Spotlight
Posts: 58,436
Joined: September 2000
Show All Member Profiles 
Forum Statistics
Forums102
Topics2,424
Posts205,163
Members141
Most Online206
Nov 4th, 2012
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31
†Restricted forums can only be accessed by DreamLyrics members of the age of 18 years or older. Access which is granted by the Behind Closed Doors Procedure.
™DreamLyrics Message Gaming. DreamLyrics Message Gaming does not own copyright on DreamLyrics texts or graphics, except trademarked DreamLyrics logos and logotypes. The works contained in DreamLyrics are copyrighted (automatically, under the Berne Convention) by the original authors and may be available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence. (See Copyrights for details.)
Privacy Policy
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.1.1