Eye of the Dragon
DreamLyrics Play-by-Post
Who's Online Now
1 members (Miales), 28 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Dice Roller
You will need to enable Javascript in order to view the Dice Roller.
Games Recruiting List

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#978485 Sun 25/08/19 14:28 UTC
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
August 30 is a red-letter day for Netflix.

Watanabe Shin'ichirō is an anime director that builds his shows with music. The music for his series is more than just background melodies - it is the foundation of the show, infusing plot, style, and storyline. He has made several shows that even those who do not follow anime may have heard about.

Cowboy Bebop - a science fiction yarn built on Jazz, showcasing the work of Yoko Kanno, Seatbelts and Steve Conte.

Samurai Shamploo - A very idiosyncratic alternate history samurai adventure that just seeps hip-hop and rap.

Then there's Studio Bones. Studio Bones is responsible for a long line of excellent shows: Scrapped Princess, Wolf's Rain, Gosick, both Full metal Alchemists, Darker Than Black, Un-go, Noragami, Soul Eater and Soul Eater Not!. I'd recommend any anime on the list.

It's Studio Bone's twentieth anniversary and it is being celebrated with a collaboration of Watanabe and Studio Bones, with Netflix backing:

Carole & Tuesday

Watanabe takes his expertise with music and brings it to the forefront. This is a show all about the Alternative/Indie genre. Set on Mars, twenty minutes into the future, it is the story of two would-be musicians trying to break into and live by their songs. The problem is that they are street musicians, a quickly fading anachronism. Building on the technology available to us today, pop songs are now written by sophisticated artificial intelligence software, which analyzes current trends to custom craft a hit song to spec.

The interesting part of this is that this premise firmly sets Carole & Tuesday into the realm of good science fiction - it is not a space opera (pun intended) with sci-fi trappings.

What I like about Carole & Tuesday is that it is not a story of two young women's meteoric rise to fame. They have their ups, their downs, they win, they lose, they succeed and get taken advantage of. And yet they pick themselves up and move on, by their own will and drive, pushed and pulled, and this is what makes their story so enjoyable. It is very much a musical Odyssey. You know where it starts, you know where it ends, but it is the journey that is the heart of Carole & Tuesday.

There's a very subtle background conceit that frames the show - so subtle that unless you read about it you wouldn't know. The premise is that this is a foreign series - foreign as in it was made on Mars - and what we are seeing is a dubbed broadcast version for an Earthbound Japanese audience. What does this mean?

Not only are all the songs in English (fine - one is in French) they are in good English!

Including the West Side Story styled opening by Nai Br.XX and Celeina Ann

Last edited by Wolf; Sun 25/08/19 14:36 UTC.
Wolf #978490 Sun 25/08/19 15:20 UTC
M
M
I have given up watching 'TV' and spend all my time watching NF. They have been doing an =awesome= job of offering =great= content ... that I can watch when ever I want <g>

And yes, the 30th does seem to be an especially 'bountiful' day <g>

MikeD

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Talon475, Randal Trimmer, Kimf, Yvon, TennesseeBaron
177 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Member Spotlight
Gryphon
Gryphon
California
Forum Statistics
Forums103
Topics2,838
Posts140,645
Members177
Most Online296
Jan 19th, 2020
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
†Restricted forums can only be accessed by DreamLyrics members of the age of 18 years or older. Access which is granted by the Behind Closed Doors Procedure.
™DreamLyrics Play-by-Post. DreamLyrics Play-by-Post does not own copyright on DreamLyrics texts or graphics, except trademarked DreamLyrics logos and logotypes. The works contained in DreamLyrics are copyrighted (automatically, under the Berne Convention) by the original authors and may be available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence. (See Copyrights for details.)
Privacy Policy