Eye of the Dragon
DreamLyrics Play-by-Post
Who's Online Now
3 members (Argus, Asta, Phoenix Prime), 31 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Dice Roller
You will need to enable Javascript in order to view the Dice Roller.
Games Recruiting List

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#974921 Thu 27/06/19 22:17 UTC
M
MikeD Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Anyone else watched this? It is a anime on Netflix.

THere were things I really likes. There were some things that I did not like so much. The biggest problem for me was that the show seemed to completely change 'vision' for the last few episodes. That I all I will say ... not wanting to post any 'spoilers' <g>

MikeD
MikeD #974923 Fri 28/06/19 00:33 UTC
okays dokay ...

Neon Genesis Evangelion is definitely a classic. It was the first major deconstruction of the giant robot genre and creates both a breathtaking and completely disturbing picture of a during the apocalypse world.

After the first episode, I don't think that's a spoiler.

The three main characters (especially one of them) were the original source for several now common character archetypes.

Well written, well animated and ... well ... uhm .. let's address your comments!

First, you need to know that Gainax was not in the greatest shape during the production of Evangelion. First, they had a LOT riding on this series. Second, they spent so much of their budget on the first episodes that they literally ran out of money to finish the series - thus the style and nature of the ending completely changed as they scrambled to cobble together something from nothing smile Plus they kept running into deadline issues ...

Second, the series director Hideaki Anno was in a state of deep depression when he created the series. This is no joke. Deep clinical depression and from what I've read here and there was that he wasn't being treated for it at the time. This did not bode well for the on-screen life of ANY of the show's characters. Now, take budget problems, schedule deadlines and add clinically depressed director who couldn't figure out how to end the show and of course things were bound to go sideways.

And then, almost unexpectedly, the show became a hit - not just a hit hit, but one of the biggest hits in the history of anime.

So a couple of things happened.

Gainax was able to afford to create a more satisfying ending. On the plus side, that gave us "Death and Rebirth" a full-length movie providing an edited version of the first 24 episodes of the TV show + 27 minutes of new animation that became the opening sequence of "The End of Evangelion" a second movie, released at the same time, which brought the series to a more satisfying ending...

...for various definitions of satisfying while firmly maitaining their place as the source of the now infamous"Gainax Ending" trope.

In other words, yes, the last two episodes of the series are weird. The last scenes of End of Evangelion? Just as strange, but different smile

More recently, they've done a four movie re-boot of Evangelion.

Evangelion: 1.0 You Are (Not) Alone
Evangelion: 2.0 You Can (Not) Advance
Evangelion: 3.0 You Can (Not) Redo

and the upcoming

Evangelion: 3.0+1.0

The last film is scheduled for release in 2020. Hideaki Anno said that the series reboot, now that he is properly dealing with his depression, is a re-do of the Evangelion story giving the characters a second chance ... without their lives being influenced by his previous condition.

Okay, fine. The characters are more stable, there is a light at the end of the tunnel, but this is still Evangelion!

Last edited by Wolf; Fri 28/06/19 00:39 UTC.
MikeD #974967 Fri 28/06/19 12:15 UTC
M
MikeD Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Wow! A lot of really interesting 'behind the scenes' info. Thanks!

Not sure,though, which ... if any ... of the movies I will search out and watch. I like having just the one clear 'view' into that world. Wouldn't want to dilute that.

MikeD
MikeD #974974 Fri 28/06/19 13:13 UTC
if you only saw the happy penguin episode 26 (I haven't checked the Netflix episode list) you miss Asuka's last stand smile

Last edited by Wolf; Fri 28/06/19 13:13 UTC.
MikeD #974975 Fri 28/06/19 14:17 UTC
M
MikeD Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I remember Pen2 quite well! He was one of my favorite distractions <g> But I don't recall an entire episode focused on him. But that =could= be 'cuz I binge-watched the whole series in one day <vbg> Oh, I also wish that they had done something more with the estranged father/son business. BTW two of the movies are there as well ... and on my list now <wink>

MikeD

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Talon475, Randal Trimmer, Kimf, Yvon, TennesseeBaron
177 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Member Spotlight
eclaasse
eclaasse
North Carolina
Forum Statistics
Forums103
Topics2,828
Posts140,452
Members177
Most Online296
Jan 19th, 2020
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
†Restricted forums can only be accessed by DreamLyrics members of the age of 18 years or older. Access which is granted by the Behind Closed Doors Procedure.
™DreamLyrics Play-by-Post. DreamLyrics Play-by-Post does not own copyright on DreamLyrics texts or graphics, except trademarked DreamLyrics logos and logotypes. The works contained in DreamLyrics are copyrighted (automatically, under the Berne Convention) by the original authors and may be available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence. (See Copyrights for details.)
Privacy Policy