Eye of the Dragon
DreamLyrics Play-by-Post
Who's Online Now
1 members (Gypsy), 35 guests, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Dice Roller
You will need to enable Javascript in order to view the Dice Roller.
Games Recruiting List

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#974657 Sun 23/06/19 21:22 UTC
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Dawnview Vale
Dawnview Castle
Hasday, the Eighteenth Day of Tiger

Daxia, Karina, Morning Star, Tomomi, and various Dayalans

"Her cuteness will only make me more magnificent."

That was Morning Star's comment on the obvious conundrum. The three of them had a long way to walk to the Temple, and they had limited time. This was not like meandering along the Highland Path at a groups pace, and Tomomi's stride was, being a Mouse, quite small.

Thus Tomomi got to ride on a unicorn.

Also, once they had reached the bottom of the Valley and then made their way up the other slope, along the marble-paved road and then met the guard at the base of the terraced Temple pyramid, they discovered that Kisa had been correct about the guards. As she had predicted, they did have an issue with one of the three of them. One woman spoke up.

"Well, you, of course, we can let pass and the unicorn is probably fine, but we don't know what you got there riding him."

Tomomi had drawn her travel cloak hood back up, so she actually made a very mysterious and imposing figure upon a black unicorn's back when she quietly responded.

"Then the Khorall wishes you to inform your High Priestess that she desires to speak with the High Priestess immediately."

They were the lowest of the Temple guards — it was the most inexperienced or most troublesome were assigned to watch the first steps — and they looked at each other and swallowed. One raised her fist to the other. The other swallowed again and did the same. They shook their fists three times and then slammed their hands down and forward. The first one's hand was still in a fist. The second one blinked, suddenly smiled wide, and hopped once. Her hand was held out palm down and flat.

"Oh..."

The first guard actually spoke two words, but the second one was not very polite. She took a breath and slowly made her way up the stairs, the one who now had to take that message to their High Priestess. Tomomi slipped off of Morning Star and peeked up at Daxia.

"Did I do fine? Or did I..."

Her hood turned towards the Dayalan going up the stairs.

"...do something wrong?"

The first returned after a while, looking as if everything she had thought would happen actually had come true.

"You can go up. All of you."

The Temple was tall and broad, the model of what Bordertown's would have looked like without the coming of the East or what was once at the end of the stone pier at Talesan's Village. Only here, in the Vale, had one of the four First Age temples survived. Stairs and terrace, stairs and terrace, and at each terrace they were able to pass by the two women on guard. The higher they were, the more experienced and better armored the guards were.

A stone structure stood atop a simple carved block. Runes were carved in a tall frieze that ran above the square entrances. There were three: one facing east and the other two opening north and south. The whole temple top was on a raised podium. The three had to walk around the base of the podium, for it only had one set of steps and they faced east.

Entering the temple was familiar to all save Tomomi. It was a simple space: Four massive columns near each corner held up the stone roof. The roof had a round hole in its center and a ring of columns around that opening. Directly beneath the opening was the Temple well. Daxia knew that shaft went straight down through the temple's terraces, leading to the platform where ironsilver was cast and then deeper still until the water was eventually reached.

Beyond, against the west wall, which would be illuminated by the sun's first light, was a small dais and a stone chair. Sitting in it, looking not too happy, was the High Priestess of the Cult of Dayala, Karina Allaine.

"You cannot even come to Temple without causing trouble, can you."

It was not a question. She looked at the unicorn and then at Tomomi.

"You were not supposed to bring guests. And note that while your accomplishments cannot be overlooked between here and the mainland, remember that most of them are the simple execution of your duties. We send you out into the world to uphold Her order. We expect you to do so.

"We are also not pleased that you dragged Kisa Allaine along with you. Putting her in danger is not acceptable no matter what the excuse.

"So. Now that those two matters are settled. Let us hear your report."

Last edited by Wolf; Sun 23/06/19 21:37 UTC.
Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Lord Protector, Her Ladyship Verchovai Daxia Yurisdotter
[Daxia serves DAYALA... the GM ESPECIALLY should get this right]

Daxia chuckled at Morning Star’s remark before passing the thought to Tomomi.

“Irrespective of any other reasons for my friend to carry you to the Temple,” she said, her eyes twinkling with good humor, “it appears that your cuteness significantly augments Morning Star’s magnificence.”

She didn’t voice to either of them that it might be the case that only his ego was enhanced. Ultimately, it didn’t really matter. As with so many other individuals Daxia had met since leaving the Vale, Morning Star was Morning Star was Morning Star.

As she watched the first guard jog up the steps to bring Tomomi’s message to the High Priestess, she shook her head.

“You did very well, Tomomi. You did nothing wrong.” She glanced at the Mouse girl. “Kisa ‘demanded’ that you accompany me. That makes it a matter between the High Priestess and the Khorall.”

As they proceeded up the temple steps, Daxia simply nodded to the women on duty. She knew them by name, most of them — some she had sparred while studying swordwork with Gilly and Reena. And arriving in the chapel, Karina’s comments weren’t a surprise. Although this was the first time she’d interacted with the High Priestess outside Temple Services — and that had been minimal — Karina’s attitude wasn’t a surprise either. Daxia merely shrugged slightly... she hadn’t thought she’d caused any trouble on her way here, but her idea of ‘trouble’ was probably far different from the High Priestess’s.

“I would like to clarify two things, Verchovai. The first is that Morning Star is not a guest. He is my partner. He belongs in the Temple as much as I do.”

Karina probably couldn’t be faulted for not understanding the relationship between Knight and Unicorn. Daxia could also be generous in ascribing her almost deliberate misunderstanding to the fact that so few Unicorns sought out Dayalans in this Age — and that each and every one of them was a Wild Dayalan.

“The second is that I did not drag the Khorall along with me. She determined that it would be in the Vale’s best interest to travel to Talesan’s Village, and I do not have the authority to countermand her orders that she had declared are in Dawnview’s best interests.”

Daxia lightly clasped her hands behind her back, the only relaxed standing position Kassia had deemed acceptable. How much of what she had done while outside the Vale would be judged relevant by the High Priestess? Dazi didn’t know... so she reported her activities as though bringing them to Kassia’s attention. Well, not exactly — if she were telling these tales to Kassia, she’d be sure to give credit to her companions where that credit was due. Given what Karina thought of her companions — commoners, all of them — it was probably wiser to downplay those aspects of her journey. It was too bad since the lessons from the leadership of her Gang of Misfits were just as important as anything else.

“In Cragside, I was introduced to two Imperial Families, the Koromovs and the Velikki — although, at the time, Koromov had yet to be re-elevated to their Imperial rank and Velikki had not yet shared their peculiar views on religion.

“Along the Brementown Road, we rescued a young woman who turned out to be a lynchpin in the Eastern Princes’ plans for their next invasion of the western lands. I can’t be certain how much time I bought for us, but an attack is no longer imminent.

“I made personal contacts with the Bordertown Guard, one of the Jvrillian Troops quartered there, the Priestess of Krysta, as well as the Atteran and Hastur Imperials. The curse on our Temple there has been broken, though it will take some negotiation and a great deal of work to bring the Temple back to its former glory.

“As a side note, I now understand why no warnings are given to Initiates who might venture far enough west to find themselves at Highside Heather. Viewing the Battle of Silk Creek Bridge is... an eye-opening experience and mere words cannot convey the enormity of the betrayal of our foresisters. It was fortuitous that I saved Lily Allaine’s spearwoman, for it was she who brought the Koromovs back to Imperial status.

“At a small farm north of Brockman’s Holdfast, I received the final bit of information to determine what had happened to your sister, Innocence, and her fiance.”

Daxia paused for a moment. It wasn’t a story she wanted to tell again. It was definitely not something she had wanted to tell Kisa’s mother — hence her insistence that Kisa tell the story herself. She’d share it with Karina...

But only if Karina really wanted to know. As Linnell had wisely pointed out, sometimes one does not want to know the answers to questions, so they leave those questions unasked.

“In Talantal at Midsummers Council, Ekaterina Koromov was recognized as an Imperial Personage by the Nobles. She declared Jakal Montague persona non grata; the alliance between Korie and Montague was dissolved. Khorall Kisa negotiated a revision to the borders between the Allaine lands and the Korie lands.

“Both Ekaterina and Dandelion Koromov professed their first loyalty to our Lady Dayala before that of their Imperial Family, leaving Erika in a more substantial position in Trundle-on-the-Hill and Camelia in Bordertown as a member of their council.

“As Khorall Kisa insisted that she should travel to Talesan’s Village, we did so in the company of the Noble Family Larsen. While in Talesan’s Village, we were able to read a large number of Dayalan documents that had been preserved below the Imperial Cathedral. We made copious notes and left on good terms with the Brother of Hastur, who would likely welcome other Dayalan scholars who wished to further study the documents.

“We met an emissary of the People of the Forest, and Khorall Kisa forged an alliance with those people. Thanks to the later intercession of my sister Bekkah with her Lady Attera, the People of the Forest were granted souls and full personhood. The emissary has devoted herself to our Lady Dayala and is studying under Starlord Priestess Kassia Dariansdotter.”

Daxia didn’t think it was necessary at this moment to point out that Tomomi was also an emissary of the People of the Forest. That was something Tomomi could do for herself if she chose to. Daxia most certainly was not going to mention Lyric’s origins. And it was a discussion better had with Kassia regarding the personhood of Tomomi and Broke and all their people. Had Daxia not been a priestess, had she not noticed that nagging something off about Broke — something that had nothing to do with the fact that she was a Wolf and everything to do with a missing soul — she would have said that Broke was a person when she and Kisa had met the Guardian at the Amber Inn. If her interpretation of Keiko’s friendship with Tomomi was accurate, the Rhoni felt similarly about the young Mouse.

“Kori McLaine, the daughter of Innocence Allaine, is under the tutelage of Starlord Priestess Poppy Gwynn. She is passionate but still young.

“Kay Koromov is currently assigned to the Atteran First Ring Hospice in Talantal, acting as protector of the Lady Romana. I encouraged her to present herself here at the first opportunity.

“Little of note occurred as we traveled back to the Vale, other than Lord Dominic Korie’s wedding outside Bordertown at Midwinter. While I found it charming that he wanted me to officiate the ceremony, you might not.”

This time when Dazi shrugged, she also smiled ever so slightly. Dom Dominie might be the world’s most annoying rapscallion, but he was also one of the world’s best people. Kisa and Eleni were lucky to have him as a Foster Brother.

“We were met again at Snowgate Keep by those in the employ of Velikki, who divulged that the Imperial Family has the agenda of eliminating the gods and goddesses from our world. They called this new age ‘The Age of Man.’ One can hope that Erika Koromov will exert more influence from Trundle.”

There wasn’t really much more to say that might be of interest to Karina. Kassia would have wanted to know what Dazi thought about things, how she came to her conclusions... but Karina didn’t strike her as someone who had a deep interest in thinking about things that didn’t directly relate to Dayala and service to Dayala.

“Oh. And Khorall Kisa agrees that it might be worth checking the passes in the Jambles to see if Starwatch Reaches can be located. It’s possible that their library, like the one at Port of Lys, may still be intact. As I have recently learned that I am related to the Starwatchers, I have volunteered to visit them and then continue to Starwatch Reaches if possible.”

"Everything is bad except unicorns." -- Phoebe
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Dawnview Vale
Dawnview Castle

"You. Stay put."

That simple command was definitely meant for the hooded Mouse, as Tomomi had started to drift from Daxia's side, quite naturally to look here and there atop the Dayalan Temple. She immediately hopped — an ordinary, everyday kind of hop — to hide from the most fierce of the elder Allaine sisters.

"...squeak!"

With one issue set to rest, Karina turned back to face Daxia.

"Partner? Oh. Then please remind your... partner... that this is a Temple to Dayala and then ask him if he actually follows the teachings of our Goddess."

The High Priestess kept her arms crossed as she looked down from her seat. If anything her expression darkened.

"Montague. What Montague did cannot go unanswered."

A few moments later and Karina's brows furrowed even more.

"The raising of Dayalans outside of the Vale, outside of proper teachings? I do not care who Kassia may think she is, such cannot be let happen.

"And more importantly, there will be no Temples without my consent."

There was more than a little frustration layered into that last statement as if she knew herself that she may have been speaking against an upcoming windstorm. That said, a few heartbeats later, Dayala's High Priestess fell completely silent. The silence was heavy and dark, as her still and harsh gaze bore down on Daxia like the gaze of an angry plainscat.

"The New Age of Man."

Any other thought or consideration came to a complete halt.

"An Age without Gods or Goddesses."

With a blink, Karina Allaine focused her attention on Daxia, complete and sure.

"If Velikki can create such, it will usher in a wind far worse than any that have come from the East.

"If Velikki can create such, we will need more than steel and blood.

"Da.

"Go.

"Find the Starwatch Reaches."

Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity

Ask Morning Star if he followed the teachings of Dayala? Why would an Immortal Being be a follower of any Deity? Weren’t they essentially equals? Why would Unicorns not be welcome in Dayala’s Temple? Maybe that was why Unicorns didn’t often find themselves in the Vale. She was certain Karina wouldn’t be interested in her questions and musings.

So Daxia remained silent.

Of course, Montague’s crimes against the Allaine Family couldn’t be ignored. But Kisa was the Khorall now, and any response by the Allaines would be hers to formulate and direct. It was a reminder that Karina probably wouldn’t appreciate.

And if Karina thought Kassia was going to bring Broke to the Vale to train her, or even if she thought Daxia ought to carry a message of that nature to Kassia, well, the High Priestess would find herself disappointed. She would certainly like to see her foster mother again, but Daxia had met Broke, she understood the Wolf Woman’s relationship to her people in the Forest — as much as an outsider could, at any rate. It didn’t seem likely that Broke would take years from her duty as Guardian to spend them in the Vale. It was less likely that Karina would be happy to have Kassia and Broke in the Temple for years.

The Knight did understand that she would need the support of the Temple to have any hope of reopening the Bordertown Temple. Daxia believed that it would eventually become wise to do so, but perhaps it was something that would have to wait... possibly until she herself was elderly.

Finally, Karina Allaine touched on something that truly affected the entire world. Even though Daxia had a hard time wrapping her mind around the Velikki’s outrageous ideas, she fully understood how devastating they could be. This was something in which she found common ground with the High Priestess.

“Da, Verchovai. My liege has commanded that I return to the Castle before morning. It is my intention to be on the road to Glacier Keep and the Jambles beyond after breaking my fast.”

She inclined her head respectfully.

Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Dawnview Vale
Dawnview Castle

Morningstar snorted, which garnered him a dark look from Karina. He was a far more entertaining conversationalist than the High Priestess. Still, the about-face that Karina had made when the subject of the Velikki came up was more than a little interesting. That a Priestess would be worried about the politics of worship, in hindsight, of course, seemed natural. But to actually see it right before her eyes was illuminating.

"Da."

The High Priestess confirmed her agreement before continuing.

"The problem is that Trundle-on-the-Hill is not just far away. It has both an air and an actual remoteness. It is far easier for those in the Imperial City to discern what is happening out here on the Mainland than it is for us to learn of their machinations until it is too late.

"That is the real issue.

"Think. For a handful of merchants to have such a powerful belief to cross along the Dirkwood, through Highgaard, to follow you into the Vale and attempt such right beneath the gaze of Eleni's motley guard, means that such a church is no mere fancy — it must have a very strong following. A very strong following in a place that is supposed to be a stronghold of the Imperial Court.

"That is the problem.

"And not knowing makes it even more so."

Leaning back in her chair Karina waved Daxia, Morning Star, and Tomomi away, dismissing all three.

"Da. Of course, you have the Khorall's commands to follow. Tell the Khorall I have noted her unspoken statement. And then note I am still her Aunt and her elder.

"Go. The morning will come soon, and I have much now to consider before sleep."

Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity

While the High Priestess gave Morning Star a dark look, his partner barely managed to keep from laughing at his comments. Although... if Sunfire had cracked a tile in the Temple floor, shouldn’t that have been something she’d have heard about? Unless Sunfire broke the tile before Daxia and Bekkah had come to the Temple — and given the ages of Karina and Kassia, that was possible.

“Da, Verchovai. Velikki’s followers proved they have the means to exact their revenge on a Dayalan who was the leader of a group that foiled their plans in Cragside. One can extrapolate that their church, as you call it, is comprised of more than a handful of fervent members. Captain Koromov is more qualified to speak to the unusual nature of their existence in an Imperial stronghold. However, given that her sister is the Justice of Trundle — a position that should not be available to a woman — I find it less surprising than others might find it.

“A greater concern, one I have not discussed with our Khorall and Patterner, is the alliance Velikki will likely form with Montague. While I would, of course, accept a charge to visit Trundle when I leave the Vale, it might be more expedient to assign the task of gathering information to someone else.”

Daxia paused, trying to use her own meager Patterning skill to look at the paths before her. Perhaps it would be useful to form a proper question for Keiko before sharing her thoughts with the High Priestess. But, no... she was here now.

“Captain Koromov already has ties to the people of Trundle and might be the best choice to ferret out any information the Temple might need. On the other hand, there could be value in assigning my Initiate to the task.”

She didn’t bother to mention that Kay might very well refuse to accept the assignment, given the fact that Romana couldn’t return to the area anymore. Yes, Karina was the High Priestess... but Wild Dayalans tended to think for themselves, and Kay wasn’t likely to leave Romana alone in Talantal.

But on the other hand, having Dandelion Koromov annoyed with her for suggesting she visit Trundle wasn’t something Dazi wanted to endure.

No matter how the assignment played out, someone was going to be extremely annoyed. And Daxia would prefer that the Captain was annoyed with her rather than the High Priestess.

Moderated by  Wolf 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Talon475, Randal Trimmer, Kimf, Yvon, TennesseeBaron
177 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Member Spotlight
Phoenix Prime
Phoenix Prime
Sanger Texas
Forum Statistics
Forums103
Topics2,825
Posts140,430
Members177
Most Online296
Jan 19th, 2020
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
†Restricted forums can only be accessed by DreamLyrics members of the age of 18 years or older. Access which is granted by the Behind Closed Doors Procedure.
™DreamLyrics Play-by-Post. DreamLyrics Play-by-Post does not own copyright on DreamLyrics texts or graphics, except trademarked DreamLyrics logos and logotypes. The works contained in DreamLyrics are copyrighted (automatically, under the Berne Convention) by the original authors and may be available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence. (See Copyrights for details.)
Privacy Policy