Eye of the Dragon
DreamLyrics Play-by-Post
Who's Online Now
2 members (Argus, Alduin), 28 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Dice Roller
You will need to enable Javascript in order to view the Dice Roller.
Games Recruiting List

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#971318 Fri 17/05/19 12:36 UTC
Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
DM

The mood at the inn cheers as each toast to Tharden is made. Dwarves have long memories an he will be remembered. But after an hour or so the inn filled up as word spreads through Phandalin that the same people that cleared out the Redbrands from Tresendar Manor had now vanquished the Black Spider from the Lost Mines.

Toblin Stonehill had a hard time keeping up with the sudden spike business. For quite a while there was little going on in the inn that did not include feasting, cheering, singing, dancing and other forms of revelry. The mood was both solemn and festive but as the ale worked it's magic on the dwarven brothers, they eventually joined the celebration, but they never allowed five minutes to pass without toasting Tarden.

Many of the town notables arrived and after the initial hour of jubilation transitioned into a mellower gathering after all that. Everyone was eager to hear tales of strange and dangerous monsters. Several small gatherings occurred as the heroes mingled with the locals.

The first to show up was Sister Garaele, young elven cleric that maintains the Shrine of Luck, the only temple in Phandelin. The shrine is dedicated to Tymora goddess of luck and good fortune. Soon thereafter, After praising the victory as great fortune, she raises a sobering thought. "After listening to what I've heard today, the mines were infested by undead. Are the mines safe to enter now? Have all the undead been vanquished?"

Also in the crowd is Daran Edermath, the retired elven adveturer that lives in the tiny cottage near the apple orchard on the outskirts of town. He encouraged the party to investigate the Old Owl Well to get rid of undead there. Halia Thornton, from the miner's exchange made sure that she didn't lose out on any information that was being shared. "Are you saying we may not be ready to open the mines for the miners?"

-Nep
Neptune #971336 Fri 17/05/19 16:06 UTC
Ryssa

The scion of the Morninglord resumed her seat and placed her glass to the table. She looked up and across to Sister Garaele, the elvin cleric.

"I do not know. The mines are spacious... huge." She looked around at her companions.

"How could anyone ever be completely sure that the undead are completely disposed of?"

Neptune #971343 Fri 17/05/19 16:40 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

"There were areas that we didn't explore as we were focused on rescuing Nundro and finding the Black Spider. So, no, I would not assume the mines are safe."

Neptune #971358 Fri 17/05/19 17:29 UTC
M
M
<Bern>

He watched the 'celebration'. He was glad that the friends and family were able to get some closure and move on. When the talk moved to returning to the mines, he offered his opinion. "We did not have time to investigate and clear the entire mine, so you will want to have some sort of 'defense contingent' when you head back in. Besides the remaining undead, there was also information that implied there were 'gelatinous cubes' down there. Not sure of anything else. There might also be an ally or two down there that could help you."

MikeD
Neptune #971369 Fri 17/05/19 19:07 UTC
nem Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Chandan

Sat at a table, the greybeard leans in, hanging his head over his steaming cup. He breathes deeply and exhales with satisfaction. The sweet smell of peppermint tea.

Looking around the tavern, Chandan recalls (somewhat hazily) his conversation with the miners Alzok, Borim and Carmil.

"Is a mine ever a safe place?" He postulates aloud.

Perhaps not.

"But we rid the mine of many ghouls and a flaming skull. Now is the time to sweep the mines clear, before more undead move in."

Neptune #971421 Sat 18/05/19 06:47 UTC
Administrator
Administrator
Davroar

"And there's that underground lake... no telling how deep and far that goes."

Neptune #971482 Sat 18/05/19 23:47 UTC
Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
Gundren
"Yeah, well we're gonna have to go back in there to get rid of whatever's left or we'll not be able to mine your cut of mine."

He says this to nobody specifically, but to everyone around. It was an announcement and he said it so nonchalantly that many didn't grasp what he said. That's when Nundro smirked at his rescuers as well.

"That's right. My brother and I have decided that you will take Tharden's share, a 10% share split among you whether or not you are here and work the mine."

This was no small offer, especially from dwarves.

"You realize that they are promising to make you wealthy, don't you" Halia says.

-Nep
Neptune #971525 Sun 19/05/19 10:30 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

She blushes as the offer from the dwarves becomes apparent. She is not used to people being nice to her, well in the past anyway.

"That is most generous Gundren, Nundro. I don't know what to say. Well except thank you of course."

Neptune #971526 Sun 19/05/19 10:35 UTC
nem Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Chandan

No doubt a generous offer, and Chandan nods his thanks in agreement with Jaliera.

"Ah yes. Thank you so much." He says, and takes a moment to think, then, "My share I will dedicate to the institution of the Townmaster's Hall, to be used for the communal benefit of the whole town. Long may it prosper."

Last edited by nemarsde; Sun 19/05/19 17:13 UTC. Reason: Not 10%
Neptune #971540 Sun 19/05/19 12:34 UTC
M
M
<Bern>

"Most generous", he said. "While I am no miner, perhaps I will come help you 'clean house', as it were."

MikeD
Neptune #971551 Sun 19/05/19 15:25 UTC
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
(OOC - Neal - I think it's 10% total, to be divided among you however you like, not 10% each. But the spirit of Chandan's post still works.)

Neptune #971559 Sun 19/05/19 16:35 UTC
Ryssa

The cleric of Lathander smiled and looked around at the others, her attention ending up on the old monk.

"If all of your reward you plan on donating for the good works of the Townmaster's Hall, Chandan, then I think I will donate a portion of my reward to the local shrine and to the nearest such shrine which is dedicated to the Morninglord."

Her smile broadened somewhat.

"And I would like to purchase a drink or two you, my monkish friend."

Ryssa shrugged slightly.

"I will keep a modicum of money for myself."

Neptune #971562 Sun 19/05/19 17:14 UTC
nem Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
[Ah, of course! Thanks Zeim, yes that makes total sense. Edited.]

Neptune #971571 Sun 19/05/19 19:07 UTC
Administrator
Administrator
Davroar

He is not sure what ten percent of a mine will come to, but when Halia exclaims that they will all be rich Davroar will nod his thanks to both dwarves.

"Wow! Thanks Gundren."

He is not sure what to make of this. Coin and wealth are only needed when he has to interact with civilization, so he will have to think on what to do this new found wealth. Perhaps he will give back to the community much like Ryssa and Chandan have said.

Neptune #971721 Tue 21/05/19 02:52 UTC
Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
DM

The gathering starts to break into some separate conversations. Much of it comes as a matter of who sits next to whom, but some conversations might be had as a matter of purpose or objective.

Halia Thornton makes her way over to Davroar and Jaliera and brings two ales as she does. "So, what do you intend to do with all that wealth?" She asks the question of both.

Kriv is approached by Sildar who wants to continue the conversation they were having earlier. Luminorn is nearby as is Bern. "So how much of the mines do you think are left unexplored that would need to be cleared out? And do you have any ideas of what might be there?"

Ryssa finds herself in a conversation with Sister Garaele. The elven cleric was eager to know more about the mines and since she wanted to find out if there was anything there of a religious or spiritual nature, she sought a fellow priestess. "I heard that there were undead? It is indeed fortunate that except for poor Nundro, the rest of you all survived. What type of foul creatures did you encounter? I have heard that there are animated skeletons and mindless corpses that crave living flesh. Was there anything that horrible? And were there any ancient religious artificats?"

Bern and Chandan got to chatting a bit with Daren Edermath. The retired adventurer that lived near the orchard offered "I intend on leading an expedition into the mines to help clear it out over the next few days. What can you tell me about the mines. I am hoping to gain as much of a tactical advantage as I can."

-Nep
Neptune #971730 Tue 21/05/19 03:18 UTC
Ryssa

Ryssa nodded and smiled at the follower of the deity of Luck, but the smile did not last long.

"Undead? Indeed there were quite a few, unfortunately." Ryssa told Sister Garaele about the evil artifacts and undead the group had encountered.

"Through the power of the Morninglord, I was able to kill or turn several of these zombies and other undead."

The cleric frowned and thought for a long moment before coming up with the other things they had found in the cavern.

Neptune #971753 Tue 21/05/19 13:36 UTC
M
M
<Bern>

He wasn't really fond of 'socializing' on such a 'grand' scale. It was difficult to hear, everyone talking at once. He tried to smile and nod as he moved through the crowd.

At one point, though, Daren Edermath cornered him while he was talking with Chandan. Understandably, Daren wanted to get as much information as he could about the mines since it seemed that he would be one of those working the mine. Hopefully what he remembered would be helpful. "But we did not get through the whole thing. It is pretty extensive. And I suspect that there are plenty of dangers still roaming around there."

MikeD
Neptune #971786 Tue 21/05/19 19:07 UTC
Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
Sister Garaele and Ryssa

"Quite a few? That is distressing! Especially that flaming green head. I've never heard of such a thing! I am so glad that you were able to shine Lathandar's light in that dark place. Your friends are, no doubt, lucky to have you as a friend and an ally. You are a good person."

"You were telling me about the artifacts. What more do you know about that thing that is called the Forge of Spells? I cannot, for the life of me, understand why that drow cared about the mines. Perhaps that was what he was seeking?"

Daren Edermath and both Bern and Chandan
Sensing discomfort, the retired warrior made an offer.

"I really want to go through some of the details with you so that we are well prepared for the next step. Do we need to go somewhere quieter where this can be discussed better, without outside noises?"

-Nep
Neptune #971788 Tue 21/05/19 19:16 UTC
M
M
<Bern>

"=I= don't need to do that", he said. "But are you sure you want to discuss details here ... in public", he asked.

MikeD
Neptune #971807 Wed 22/05/19 00:05 UTC
AJ Offline
Kriv

Beckoning Sildar to a corner away from the bustle, he began scribing a map of the areas they had explored, the passages taken and not taken, and a key to the side indicating kills in each location by number and species, referring to his journals on occasion for accuracy. These were not simple questions, so a map would provide a far more comprehensive answer.

Neptune #971850 Wed 22/05/19 17:50 UTC
nem Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Chandan

The monk thanks Ryssa for her offer and asks for another cup of tea. Now that he has rediscovered the beverage, he's finding he can't get enough of it.

For now, Chandan stands with Bern, listening to the conversation with Daran.

"The passages in the mine are pitch black and narrow." He advises, "Your front line should be shields and axes, backed by polearms.

"Take many light sources. Lanterns, candles, torches. There are at least two chasms, both 20 feet deep, so take ropes.

"Water you will have plenty of, once you get there. Some 300 feet into the mine is an underground lake and small channel.

Neptune #971854 Wed 22/05/19 18:33 UTC
Ryssa

The cleric reached out and patted the old monk's shoulder. She turned to the tavern girl and ordered more tea for Chandan before turning back to Garaele. Ryssa frowned for a long moment and then spoke slowly.

"I was more lucky to have these friends," she said, gesturing around at the others, "than they were to have me."

Ryssa shook her head, thinking of those they'd lost along the way.

"The flaming green head was... like nothing I'd ever seen before. To be honest, Sister, I was near terrified most of the time. If it were not for..." she held her icon of Lathandar and glanced over toward the magic mace of the Morninglord where it leaned against the rock which surrounded the fireplace.

"If it were not for the presence and support of my lord of light, I would never have made it back from those cavernous mines."

She went on to tell Sister Garaele what little she knew about the Forge of Spells.

Neptune #971952 Fri 24/05/19 06:30 UTC
Administrator
Administrator
Davroar

He thanks Halia for the ale and takes a small sip. He doesn't have the drinking capacity that Chandan seems to have as he sits with Jaliera, but he is not quite drunk yet. "I don't need much myself, so I thinking I will give back to your town too."

Last edited by Dugan; Fri 24/05/19 06:30 UTC.
Neptune #971984 Fri 24/05/19 14:10 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

She smiles at Halia but shakes her head at the proffered ale.

"I don't drink alcohol, it doesn't agree with me, but thank you for the offer."

She smiles again.

"As to the money, I will need to talk to my mentor about that. He send me to help Gundren so it may not be my money as I am in essence working for him."

Neptune #972020 Fri 24/05/19 19:36 UTC
nem Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Chandan

He walks with Bern and Daran through to the quieter, currently unused skittles room.

"Do you have trained warriors to clear the mine, or is it the miners who will do this?"

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Neptune, Zeim 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Talon475, Randal Trimmer, Kimf, Yvon, TennesseeBaron
177 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Member Spotlight
Gryphon
Gryphon
California
Forum Statistics
Forums103
Topics2,838
Posts140,645
Members177
Most Online296
Jan 19th, 2020
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
†Restricted forums can only be accessed by DreamLyrics members of the age of 18 years or older. Access which is granted by the Behind Closed Doors Procedure.
™DreamLyrics Play-by-Post. DreamLyrics Play-by-Post does not own copyright on DreamLyrics texts or graphics, except trademarked DreamLyrics logos and logotypes. The works contained in DreamLyrics are copyrighted (automatically, under the Berne Convention) by the original authors and may be available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence. (See Copyrights for details.)
Privacy Policy