Eye of the Dragon
DreamLyrics Play-by-Post
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 21 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Dice Roller
You will need to enable Javascript in order to view the Dice Roller.
Games Recruiting List

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
MikeD #960478 Mon 21/01/19 22:40 UTC
Actually I'm going to speak up for Pacific Rim ... and a few other films, such as another non-sensical favorite of mine - Streets of Fire.

I don't look at films like these as being part of their supposed genre, even so far as to say Pacific Rim isn't an action-adventure-science-fiction film or Streets of Fire an action-romance. Both these films are very personal films for their directors. Hill wanted to do a rock and roll fable that had all the hallmarks of his favorite movies - rock and roll music, bar fights, motorcycle gangs, the dark horse heroes, kissing in the rain ... and it's so obvious that Pacific Rim is del Toro's celebration of one of his favorite genres - his love of the big robot-giant monster films. Of course they don't have rockets or sensible defenses - come on, its a Giant Robot film! It's GOT to have Giant Robots, complete with swords get pulled out of nowhere in a climatic battle! We all knew Godzilla was a guy in a rubber suit trashing cardboard Tokyos, but that was part of the fun! The novel Ready Player One was really silly - willy wonka of the virtual age - but boy did it feel good remembering those old video games.

Who cares if a ship's keel would crack in half if used as a club? It's just cool.

Films like these don't run on a high level of verisimilitude. They actually do run on the Rule of Cool. Streets of Fire, sit back, relax, settle deep into a couch and share Walter Hill's dream of what a fifty's rock and roll romance should be like ... share Del Toro's joy of big dumb but oh my god spectacular robots ... alien invasion in Julie Brown's LA? So its silly, but it's also lot of laughs.

So yes, if you go into a film like this looking for a high level of verisimilitude, of course you are going to walk away disgruntled. But then I might also say that it's your own fault smile

MikeD #960483 Mon 21/01/19 23:33 UTC
M
MikeD Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Just so ya know, Wolf, I don't disagree. In fact, I only watched those films ... well, to be fair, just Pac Rim <shrug> ... as what it was: a movie. No baggage <g>

The issue is the 'holes' ... 'gaps' ... 'inconsistencies' in the movie. For example, since there was no 'mention' of an 'upgrade' or the like ... the robots had the swords from their inception. So =why= didn't the 'pilots' have a clue about their existence in the beginning?

MikeD
MikeD #961160 Mon 28/01/19 13:05 UTC
M
MikeD Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Time for the next installment ...

Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea:

Lets ignore the whole 'sky catches fire' part. It is a 'fantasy' movie after all. Instead, lets look at the more mundane.

1.) Apparently no one bothered to tell the writers that ice doesn't sink, it floats ... even when the sky is on fire.

2.) Oh no! They are caught in a mine field! But it is too deep for scuba divers … they will have to use the 'mini sub' … that is open to the sea and the operators use scuba gear?

3.) And why is it that when ever a ship … be it space ship or submarine … rolls back and forth … all the electronics decide to 'spit sparks' <sigh>

MikeD
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Talon475, Randal Trimmer, Kimf, Yvon, TennesseeBaron
177 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Member Spotlight
TennesseeBaron
TennesseeBaron
Tiptonville, TN
Forum Statistics
Forums103
Topics2,838
Posts140,615
Members177
Most Online296
Jan 19th, 2020
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
†Restricted forums can only be accessed by DreamLyrics members of the age of 18 years or older. Access which is granted by the Behind Closed Doors Procedure.
™DreamLyrics Play-by-Post. DreamLyrics Play-by-Post does not own copyright on DreamLyrics texts or graphics, except trademarked DreamLyrics logos and logotypes. The works contained in DreamLyrics are copyrighted (automatically, under the Berne Convention) by the original authors and may be available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence. (See Copyrights for details.)
Privacy Policy