Eye of the Dragon
DreamLyrics Play-by-Post
Who's Online Now
2 members (Miales, Dugan), 16 guests, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Dice Roller
You will need to enable Javascript in order to view the Dice Roller.
Games Recruiting List

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Wolf #957545 Wed 02/01/19 04:56 UTC
Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Lord Protector, Her Ladyship Verchovai Daxia Yurisdotter
[Daxia serves DAYALA... the GM ESPECIALLY should get this right]

The warrior’s eyes never left the figure of the minstrel as she spoke. Daxia could not know what was in Lyric’s heart and mind, but she could read what was on her face and in her posture, could hear the inflections in her words.

Silence echoed in the hall after Lyric spoke. But there was much to be said in silence.

Finally, Daxia nodded to the minstrel.

“Truth can be found in the most unlikely of places. But you are shedding an interesting color of light on this situation, Mistress Lyric.”

Where to start? Perhaps the beginning...

“My teachers instilled in me a belief that Our Lady demands that we must fight against Chaos. In my time on the High Tarn, I learned that there is, and needs to be, a balance between Order and Chaos. My teachers know this and knew this even while instructing me. In retrospect, I see that their silence was itself a lesson: they deemed it important that I learn this truth for myself.”

A series of fleeting expressions flowed across her face — sorrow, anger, guilt, frustration... followed by joy and peace. Yes, she could have hidden all of that. It would have been hardly any sort of effort. But when the minstrel spoke so plainly and honestly, it felt wrong to conceal the manner in which her words fell on the heart and mind of a warrior.

“My teachers also spoke of honor and duty. They alluded to good and evil, to right and wrong. In my journeys across the mainland, I saw and experienced...” She paused, remembering a singular moment in a Temple, an honest conversation with a Priestess. She drew a deep breath and slowly exhaled before continuing. “I experienced more than most, I think. But I hear echoes of your own trials in your voice, so I wish to consider your words with the same gravity I would give a command by my liege.

“You are right, of course. We must look in our hearts to find our own roots of goodness, to see where mercy and justice can meet, to feel for the Path that leads to the greatest good.”

She glanced at the unicorn beside her and smiled. “My armsmaster told me that unicorns keep us — Dayalans — honest.”

Dazi looked back at Lyric and sighed.

“As I said to Tashka Darkdown the night before a unicorn saved my life, I only have my heart to keep me honest. I fear that may still hold true, despite Morning Star’s presence in my life.

“What is ‘justice’? Is it strict adherence to the Law, as the follower of Rames believe? Should justice always be tempered with mercy, as the followers of Attera believe? And what of the Justice who keeps her own counsel and tosses people off roofs in Trundle? Perhaps justice means different things to different people. I think ‘truth’ might also be like that — some truths that Dayalans know, for instance, are things that a Jvrillian can’t understand. Even when he earnestly tries.”

She paused again and canted her head in contemplation.

“You speak of the many ways a human heart can bend, Lyric — good and evil, hope and despair, truth and justice and even faith. And you have given me pause, caused me yet again to consider my beliefs and actions in a new light. For that, you most assuredly have my gratitude. And I would be pleased to have further discussions of this nature...

“...but now is not the best time for that.”

The Starlord’s gaze swept across the room — taking in the tableau of Cesare and Slink, the expressions and body language of TeeCee and Rishka, Kelsey and Robert, the Velikii who had refused to give his name, Nadya — before regarding Morning Star for a moment. Carefully, she laid the sword beside the dead man, removed TeeCee’s gloves and returned them to her.

And then she spoke to Lyric, almost as though they were alone in the room.

“A dead man has received his punishment by my hand, and his soul will be judged by Krysta. I am told that she is merciful and patient, so I am inclined to believe he will be judged less harshly than my Companion would have judged him.

“A living man who, on orders from his masters, orchestrated this attack and stands before us. His plan was foiled. His masters will be displeased with him, but who can say with certainty what they might do when he returns to them? Rishka seems to be of the opinion that allowing him to go free would be a death sentence. I can’t say for certain one way or the other, for I only have his words to guide me. Well, yes, and his fear. He is afraid.

“But I have seen fear before, both in those who sought to harm me or my companions and in those selfsame companions as we prepared to do battle. I cannot deny that I have been afraid. Faith gives us a reason to face down our fears and do what must be done. I think you understand what I mean, da?”

Dazi gestured to the Velikii as she continued speaking to Lyric.

“What is justice in this case? Is justice served if I allow him to die for his cause? He doesn’t fear death. He might see that as a reward for his devotion to his masters. Is justice served if I allow him to live, having a fairly good idea that he will die anyway? He does fear that his masters will discover that he has failed them. Is sending him away not an honorable way to deal with him? It allows him the opportunity to overcome his fear. And if I let him live, do you think he might find something to actually live for, as Rishka did?”

Daxia shrugged. “My heart tells me I should let him live... that he should be taken as far away from Dawnview Vale as possible. My heart tells me he won’t survive another meeting with his masters, but there is the chance — a small one, that’s true — that he might find something to actually live for.

“Except... except his words and his fear say that he’d rather die here. I’ve had enough of killing, I’m weary from it. Is it my duty to take his life, or might I give him the slightest chance of life? I don’t know, Lyric. My heart tells me to let him go. I’m torn as to where my duty lies. My Lady has seen fit to elevate me to the rank of Starlord and bestow on me the responsibilities of Priestess. One might think this would give me the wisdom to know what to do. It does not. Dayala Herself could speak to me, telling me what She knows to be the most honorable thing to do. But I’d like to think She has as much faith in me as my teachers did — to puzzle this out myself, with the help of my friends. I am happy to count you among my friends, for you have rare wisdom that belies your youth.”

She turned to the Velikii then. “You don’t think it matters if I kill you. Or if I ask the Khorall to imprison you. Perhaps you would be interested in knowing that the Immortal Being beside me suggests that we fetch the Priestess of Attera and then let you experience the effects of Junker. Over and over...

“Shall I follow his advice?”

Giving her attention to Lyric once more, Dazi gave her a wry smile. “My heart strongly opposes Morning Star’s suggestion. But to him, that would be just and right. Would it be good? Perhaps not by our standards, no. Would it be evil? I cannot in good conscience say that it would be. Immortal Beings, like the Gods, are ineffable... even to one fortunate enough to be a Companion.”

Finally, the warrior chuckled. “You’ve just experienced what Kisa likes to call ‘Dazi thinking outside her head.’ It’s a habit I acquired after meeting my small band of misfits in Cragside — I found it important that they understand why I chose certain Paths over others.

“Although I must confess that you have a quality in common with Khorall Eleni — you have a similar way of delving into the nature of people. I value the conversations I’ve had with Eleni. She’s wiser than she believes herself to be.”

Perhaps it was a lengthy response to something that should have been simple. But doing the right thing was very often not a simple matter. Daxia was probably more prone to engage in these sorts of philosophical and ethical debates than many of her Sisters. But Lyric was right to call into question the nature of justice here, to remind the warriors and even the Immortal Being that their actions had consequences. Kisa had a far better grasp of seeing the Paths. For Daxia, in this situation, there was no clear way to move that could achieve the greatest good. Her intention was to find it. And if a wise and enigmatic young woman from a place called Kethy’s Wood could help point the way?

Well, wouldn’t that just be another reason to count the minstrel as a friend?

"Everything is bad except unicorns." -- Phoebe
Wolf #957699 Thu 03/01/19 16:30 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

He remains in position, well behaved for a change but then he respects steel, knowing its capabilities. And in view of that makes a slow single nod in response to the question. Besides talking would mean he might miss some of the main conversation from the room. And it is getting interesting.

He listens to Lyric speaking, his respect for her growing. She stands by her principles and is not frightened to say so. He admires that. He isn't frightened to say what he believes either.. just that he has never found that much to believe in.. except maybe righting those wrongs that have been left to fester for too long, far too long. Daxia showed him that and in a small way.. or maybe a greater way.. that has changed his life.

But Lyric also carries a pain inside her. She has been hurt. He may not know her story, may not understand it but that she feels it is enough. It would be nice if he could offer her something that might help her. Right now he doesn't know what that might be.. but opportunities often present themselves, especially when not looked for. He smiles as she finishes speaking, an almost imperceptible nod of support.

And he is glad that Daxia listened, really listened to Lyric. Two women, both of whom he admires, he would not wants them at odds with each other.

Interesting afternoon. Far more entertaining than he had anticipated.

Wolf #957804 Fri 04/01/19 02:21 UTC
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
Nadya

"There is another punishment."

The eldest of them finally took her turn to reply, crossing her arms as she took one step forward. Nadya then made a single word pronouncement.

"Banishment."

It was a word that probably had different meanings for all within the room.

"It is not an execution. It simply bans him from the lands that he has wronged — from the Dawnview Castle to the Forest of Roth. That would be a satisfactory punishment. It allows him a choice. Once beyond those bounds, he may choose his own fate. He could choose to return to face his Master's wrath.

"Or he could run."

The Khorall's mentor turned to the Minstrel.

"Would that settle your conscience? It puts his final fate in his own hands."

She raised her hand, a request for a pause before answering, as she turned her attention to the Merchant.

"True, he would always be worried that House Veilikii would still come after him. He would always be looking over his shoulder. Then consider Daxia — his actions today have shown that House Veilikki has not forgotten her. That he now also has such attention, to me that seems both fair and balanced.

"What say you, Knight and Minstrel?"

Wolf #957862 Fri 04/01/19 18:15 UTC
Lyric, just a Minstrel and not a Justicar

Lyric had spoken what her wisdom and experience led her to believe. She spoke through the filter of her heart. And now she listened, and tried to understand. She took a moment to compose herself and casually wipe each cheek in turn in that moment of silence. She wondered if her words would get her into trouble again, for silence was the moment where consideration could be judgment.

Daxia began with a phrase 'Truth from an Unlikely Place'. Perhaps she meant Lyric, or maybe she meant that this moment was an unlikely circumstance to find it. But before Lyric could consider that very first statement, Daxia's second gave her a sudden worry. Was she really shedding colorful light? Her eyes widened and she glanced to her right hand and arm, and then her left. Her mind tried to parse the words and, seeing that there was no light emanating from her, she exhaled and the worry faded. But, meeting the Warrior's attention again, she couldn't help but blush in embarrassment as she, just then, realized that Daxia used an idiom to turn the phrase that caused the minstrel concern. She now understood that the 'turn of phrase' was not literal, but rather the collective words seemed to fit her Daxia's life and calling as a Priestess of the Sun Goddess. And the Dayalan Warrior continued.

Indeed, what was to follow would be Lyric's first real experience bearing witness to Daxia thinking outside her head. Within Lyric's life and calling came the ability to listen when others spoke. Listening was an important trait for a Minstrel to have. There were those of her people who had a similar calling as hers but were too in love with the sound of their own voice, and so smitten with their belief that they knew as much or more than anyone else around them, that they listened too little and spoke too much. A person would tell you much about themselves if you simply took the time to listen, and to watch, and to learn. Many people would tell you everything if you simply had the patience to listen, watch and learn.

Daxia's questions were rhetorical. Part of a process. Lyric didn't interrupt.

At the end came the comparison to Eleni. It was a frame of reference for Daxia to find a parallel. Lyric returned an accepting nod. It was just this morning that Lyric had a conversation with Eleni that could easily confirm Daxia's assertions. And, in the moment after, where Lyric considered a few simple words to acknowledge all that had been said, and to recognize the sentiments offered in those words, the Regent Nadya spoke. Lyric shifted her attention to give this woman the proper respect as was her right as a governing voice and counselor to the young Khorall in Snowgate Keep.

"It is with humility that I say this... My conscience should only matter to me,and maybe those who have been so kind and generous to welcome me in their company and call me friend... as I call them friend in return. Let your laws, and your own hearts, determine this man's fate. Always remember that every decision and choice we make comes with consequences, some easier to bear than others..." Lyric couldn't help but feel the weight of choices in her life, and recently those related to her 'Rescue Plan' at the Dark Keep in the Lake. "If your heart helps to guide you, and you believe that good is stronger than evil, and love is greater than hate, then the decisions you make, and the laws you create, will bear that out."

"You're question is a difficult one for me to answer. My personal opinion is not relevant. My conscience, while it guides my words and deeds, is not what matters. I did not speak on this man's behalf, nor even out of the desire to see Mercy interjected into this realm's Justice. It is not my place, Regent. And I would not dare to intimate otherwise. I would not dare challenge the Rulers of all that is Dawnview Vale. I spoke my heart because my greatest concern was for Daxia. I spoke that she not misstep in her own path. Maybe her considerations and intentions would not have been a darkening moment of heart and soul. I spoke from what I perceived and believed, simply to let her own wisdom catch up to her fearlessness... her... intrepidity. I think that is a word in your language. My emotions as expressed, perhaps too openly, were for the consequences she might bear."

Lyric looked from Nadya to Daxia and shrugged, "The guardsmen made a choice..." She returned her attention to Nadya. "Daxia defended herself. His death was a logical outcome. And it is one I would likely have attempted to render were I facing the same."

Lyric shifted slightly, and turned enough to see the man at the table though she wasn't speaking to him. "If your laws call for an execution then so be it. See him judged by your laws. If your laws call for a banishment, then that is as it is ruled. I am a wanderer and a traveller. I am a guest here. I respect all the laws a realm must have to provide for the safety of it's people. I have only sought that decisions take into account the other Scale of Balance and not just Order and Chaos. That is all I can offer in response."

Lyric moved away from the man and the table, around him to stand on the other side Daxia, and out of the center of attention. To the Dayalan she spoke more quietly and personally.

"To meet your 'outside the head thinking' I offer that I would probably be very much the same except that I have spent much of my life alone, and with with friends ever for me to be much more than an 'inside the head thinker'. Who would ever trust a person sitting all alone talking to herself, ja?"

Lyric smiled and shrugged. She sought a path to step back further and let those who should rightfully be speaking in matters of judgment actually do it free from her further influence. She glanced about her and saw Cesare still kept under guard on the floor. With a step back toward Daxia, she looked imploringly at Daxia and nodded for her to notice the Rhoni boy. The minstrel didn't expect Daxia to issue an edict to free him nor even to publicly draw attention to him and his plight. Lyric imagined that a resolution could only come from the actual Court itself. But she hoped the Dayalan could speak on his behalf so that the truth of the matter could be revealed and resolved. Lyric knew Cesare was no threat. He made a choice and this was the consequence. But she too acted rashly and abruptly herself. The only difference was that she started on the other side of the table from him and had enjoyed the trust of the Keep's Khorall to be seated at her side when the plot was revealed.

Wolf #958128 Sun 06/01/19 15:50 UTC
Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity

At first, Daxia merely tilted her head in contemplation of Nadya’s compromise. She wondered if such a compromise was necessary for, ultimately, whatever fate the Velikii faced, she and Lyric and Nadya could only advise Eleni. It was Eleni’s Court that had been disrupted. It was Eleni’s duty as Khorall to pronounce justice. Having observed her mother’s Court for years, the warrior understood that the decisions Eleni made would not always be easy ones. This was one that should be hard.

Lyric’s words gave her a few moments to layer the minstrel’s additional wisdom over the foundation of the Regent’s proposed judgment.

The Dayalan, too, was accustomed to listening. Kassia had made sure of that. But it had been examples set by Khorall Linnell, by Gillyflower, and especially by Bekkah that allowed Dazi to hear what people had to say. So often, people didn’t say what they meant to say — deliberately or inadvertently. Body language, facial expressions, the mode and manner of their speech... they were all clues.

Without the observations of these things, Daxia might have thought Lyric was plucking the words directly from her own mind. Was it skill or was it magic endowed by whatever God or Spirit minstrels followed that gave Lyric the ability to shine a mirror on the words flowing around her? One phrase stood out from the others, and the Dayalan quirked an eyebrow up in surprise — although, to be sure, it was a pleasant one.

I spoke my heart because my greatest concern was for Daxia.

She did wonder what she had done to be granted the minstrel’s concern. True, she had accepted Lyric — and Keiko and Tomomi — immediately as someone who held her sister’s and Cesare’s respect, trust, and friendship. That counted for a great deal. But had Dazi done anything beyond being Bekkah’s sister and Cesare’s friend to deserve this sort of concern? Perhaps this was just Lyric’s way... making the comparison to Eleni all the more accurate.

These questions were of little importance at the moment... all things would eventually be revealed in the fullness of her Lady’s Time.

Her own thoughts on the matter of justice were ordered in her mind by the time Lyric joined her.

“I don’t doubt that neither of us would have been taken seriously if found chatting to ourselves,” Daxia said with a chuckle. “I think the best we might have hoped for would be seen as followers of Arylis, who, as I understand things, speaks to Her initiates as well as priests and priestesses. Fortunately, I had Bekkah and later Kisa.”

Glancing at Cesare for a moment, she lowered her voice and spoke only to Lyric. “Sometimes it takes leaving the comfort of home to find your friends. And our mutual friend is a patient man.”

Although Daxia had, of course, noted the minstrel’s unspoken plea — except it wasn’t really that, was it? — there was a more pressing issue before her. Matters of the Court took precedence, and Dazi was fairly certain Cesare understood that. Her gaze scraped across the Velikii once more before she gave her attention to the Regent.

“I thank the Minstrel for her concern and hope to set her heart at ease in this matter. I learned from Verchovai Kassia, from Khorall Linnell, from Khorall Kisa that actions have consequences. It was a lesson well-learned during my dakeshtova — a chance encounter with fellow travelers in Cragside was followed by the rescue of another young woman on the Brementown Road... the Dark Mark failed to return to Bordertown, which allowed us to break a curse. The rescue of a young woman at Highside Heather lead to the restoration of an Imperial Family. A chance meeting outside Brockman’s Holdfast with a couple of Montague’s men provided a final key to a puzzle that plagued me since that encounter on the Brementown Road.

“Oh, I am well aware of consequences. So whatever advice I have to give the Court today is spoken, as Lyric so eloquently put it, by my heart.

“I can’t see where this man’s fate falls in the Great Pattern. That is a question for Dama Kisa to answer. I have passed judgment on many in service to my Lady. I protected the innocent and defended the defenseless to the best of my abilities.

“This man’s life — whether spared or not, whether taken by my hand or his master’s or by Krysta’s patience — does not weigh on my heart or soul. He is neither innocent nor defenseless, so I have no urging from my Lady to consider anything other than how his future actions might affect others. Is he likely to cause harm to come to others? Will his actions put another young girl’s life in danger?”

The Priestess lifted one shoulder slightly as she met Nadya’s eyes.

“Just as House Velikii has taken an interest in me, I should note...” Her gaze moved once more to the Velikii merchant. “...that House Velikii has caught my attention. I would have been content to be rid of you, but that is apparently not an option. I would like to remind House Velikii that I have friendships within House Koromov — the Imperial Family Koromov.

“I hope you don’t take that as a threat, Velikii, for it’s merely a reminder.

“Actions have consequences.

“And my actions led to the Koromovs regaining their Imperial status.”

Daxia stared at the man for a handful of heartbeats.

“What will the consequences of your actions be?”

Wolf #958168 Sun 06/01/19 21:10 UTC
Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
Dawnview Vale
Snowgate Keep, Snowgate Hall
Hasday, the Twelfth Day of Tiger

Cesare, Daxia, Lyric, Nadya, Rishka, Slink, TeeCee, and those still around partaking of Eleni’s Court

"And let me remind you of another simple fact."

Nadya spoke again to the merchant, drawing up her arms and crossing them.

"Remember your histories. Do not make your grandfather's mistakes. Ask yourself...

"What happened the last time when you Imperials faced both the Allaines and the Kories?"

Someone certainly knew the stories from the beginning of this Age. The Empire's first foray on the mainland had lost them an army and a Prince. The Merchant actually paused at that before spitting out a reply.

"Old wives' tales."

The elderly mentor laughed out loud.

"Have you also forgotten you are in a Dawnview court?"

Old wives' tales indeed. To which, of course, TeeCee had a very simple retort.

"You aren't that old, Lady Nadya."

"Yes, she is."

Rishka added her two pennies. Nadya just gave her one of those sharp looks, the kind one often gives to a brat. Then she let out a breath and waved her hand.

"Captain, get these men out of my Lady's Court. The two pawns certainly need time to contemplate a certain lack of wisdom in the selection of traveling companions, while Khorall Eleni — not her dear visiting older sister — decides the fate of all three."

Between the two of them, Tee Cee and Rishka, the three men from Brementown had their hands restrained behind their backs and then prodded out the big doors, bound for a deeper and darker portion of the keep. The watchful eyes of a black unicorn certainly added to a desire to follow the Dayalan's orders. With a toss of his head, Morning Star followed them toward the dungeons. Two stood a good chance of receiving a modicum of mercy. The third, however... his fate now lay firmly in the youngest of the Allaine sisters' hands.

"And you, Knight, come retrieve your man. Teach him simple manners before Slink falls asleep and accidentally slits his throat."

Slink yawned. Once that last bit of court intrigue was resolved and the room now quiet, Nadya pulled out a chair and sat down in it. Reaching for a carafe, she poured herself a mug of water, looking between Daxia and Lyric.

"No. This is not our usual court. Usually, proclamations about cooks and slinks are about as exciting as we get."

She then turned her attention to Lyric.

"You speak of all you do not have anymore. Bah. Speak instead of all you do have. It's less depressing and more relevant. And as for your words? It is what most folks forget. A council is not when you gather around a Noble to hear their proclamations. It is a place where the Nobles listen to all that is said, from the highest to the lowest, take counsel in those words and only then make their decisions. It is what keeps a Noble from becoming a tyrant, and tyrants only prosper until someone gets tired of them. So, of course, I am going to take your words to my Liege and ensure she understands them before I make her decide.

"It will not be the first time. Bad things do happen in Snowgate.

"This was, however, the first it has struck so close to home."

Nadya then considered Daxia.

"Silence speaks louder than words. While he was loathed to answer any of your questions, the message he brought is perhaps more disturbing. Not in what he said but who he is. That the Veilikki now have those who will follow their lead that blindly and with such resolve? When folks stop thinking, they become capable of doing unreasonable and previously inconceivable things."

Finally, so as not to be forgotten, if Daxia takes claim of Cesare and keeps him on the proper side of the table defined border, Slink would release him into her custody, move to a chair next to Nadya, cross her arms on the table, set her head down and fall asleep.

Or, at the least, appear to be asleep.

Wolf #958231 Mon 07/01/19 04:36 UTC
Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity

Daxia looked from TeeCee to Rishka, and then at Nadya before shaking her head and raising an eyebrow in Rishka’s direction.

“Highly unlikely.”

She watched Morning Star walk out after TeeCee and Rishka, narrowing her eyes slightly. She knew he’d leave human justice to humans, but his icy fury was something she’d need to contemplate. Yes, the Velikii had tried to kill her. But had she not acquitted herself with skill and honor? In the end, she hadn’t been harmed. She had to hope he’d realize that soon enough.

She turned back to the Regent with a nod, before stepping over to Cesare’s side and firmly grasping his shoulder — staying well on Slink’s off-hand side.

“Thank you, Slink.”

She would, of course, keep her hand on her friend’s shoulder until the two of them walked to the end of the hall where Lyric waited. With him being only a few finger widths taller, it was no difficult feat. Then Dazi winked at him before returning to fetch the daggers Slink had kicked aside. She was not fooled for a moment by Slink’s pretense of sleeping, so she made sure to cross the hall on the opposite side of the table from where the two Dayalans sat.

“I should probably hang onto these until we’re out of the hall,” she whispered. “Sorry about that. I usurped the Captain’s authority, and you paid the price.”

The Starlord’s eyes darted back and forth between Nadya and Lyric as the Regent addressed the minstrel, although her expression remained impassive. She could almost understand the feeling of... isolation, aloneness, lack of home that Lyric had expressed — although, it seemed something more, something deeper. She had the sense that it was a feeling just barely out of her reach — and focusing on it certainly wouldn’t help.

Despite being with her friends and Morning Star, Dazi’s heart had been heavy and her steps almost plodding those last few miles before entering Talantal at Midsummers last year. Hadn’t she felt at times that she would never see the Vale again? Da. She had been burdened by those thoughts. And hadn’t she spent most of her time longing for the day when she could return home? Indeed... nearly every day until she realized that her place was in the World. Perhaps, just perhaps there was something about her experience that might help the minstrel feel less alone, or at least feel that she, too, might have a purpose for being in the great wide world of the mainland.

It was a thought for later, however.

She furrowed her brows at the Regent’s words to her.

“There has been a surfeit of upheavals on the High Tarn since I left the Vale — from the theft of the Khorall’s last iron shipment to the breaking of the Curse on our temple on the border to the alliance between Allaine and Korie to whatever kerfuffle my sister and friends stirred up in the Dirkwood.

“I don’t disagree with your assessment, Verchovai. I ask a different question, however. Why are ordinary people willing to follow the Velikii on such a journey of madness? Are the problems pouring out of Trundle liable to collide with the trouble Montague is causing outside Brementown with their toll road?” She shook her head. “Never mind. The answer to that is yes.

“I know why Montague is moving east, or at least, I have some very good ideas. What is causing Velikii to venture out of their Imperial city and make an attempt on my life?” Daxia snorted. “As Rishka so colorfully pointed out, my friends and I caused them quite a bit of inconvenience. But to come here, to Dawnview Vale? Madness.”

She sighed.

“I must report to the Temple. More importantly, I need to consult with my Liege. I have no doubt she’ll shoo me out of the Vale to find the answers to those questions. And so that she can send more cryptic messages.”

Dazi looked once more at the door through which the sisters had disappeared.

“I need to talk her out of those nonsensical messages,” she muttered to herself, barely loud enough for Cesare or Lyric to hear.

Wolf #958239 Mon 07/01/19 12:47 UTC
Lyric, terse for conversation sake...

Lyric nodded to the Regent. Her smile was genuine, albeit a little sad. "Your words are a kindness to me. Thank you for the time and effort you give to extend your thoughts to me. I suppose when you do something for most of your life, and most of your life things are a certain way, that... that becomes all you know and everything you are. It becomes the way things always have been. New ways take time. New thoughts have to work harder. I will do my best to remember these words and find the encouragement they offer."

Lyric could feel that Nadya was looking to close the Court. The Sister Khorall's were gone. The business was concluded and the excitement and danger was past and the emotions and energies fading. Evidence of that was how the one Dayalan Warrior took up a seat and pretended to sleep. She was so young, and quite the novice at it. But Lyric understood the conservation of energy. Daxia was careful to follow a protocol when she took responsibility for cesare's release. Even gathering his weapons in a separate effort. Hearing her apology to the young Rhoni was unexpected. Probably not because she didn't expect that from Daxia. No, she didn't know her well enough to know what to expect. But a thought on that made Lyric realize that it did seem a very Daxia thing... or maybe a Friend thing that she offered to Cesare. It seemed to be a simple gesture. And while foreign to Lyric... this apology for a an action that brought an unintended consequence that somewhat else had to bear... it felt good, proper, right... not the way things have always been, but the way things should be. The way things could be.

With Daxia speaking to the Regent and cesare standing beside her, she tried to listen and understand, but leaned a little in the Rhoni's direction to whisper. "What is a... Karflu... Karfuf..full?"

Wolf #958240 Mon 07/01/19 13:35 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

He had caught Daxia's earlier glance in his direction and had returned it with a wink. A wink could hardly be construed as an attack but it was good as a form of quiet conversation, telling Daxia that he is fine, happy to wait as this is a long way from the worst position he has ever been in.. and in fact amuses himself by going through some of those.

They could be split into two groups really, Pre-Daxia and Post-Daxia. Important enough to capitalise in his head as proper titles. The Pre-Daxia period was more low key but more constant, periods of not enough to eat, periods of paranoia - always a need to move on before too long, most times of missing a part of their family - a feeling of incompleteness initially turning more to a heart-break later, the feeling of isolation - a lack of acceptance, understanding or welcome in many places they visited, often resulting in a beating as folk made their feeling clear. The Post-Daxia, much more heightened drama, increased risk, at times life-threatening but interspersed with better times, friends, Darian, finding his place in the world and that feeling that beats all others - that feeling of self-worth, of making a difference, of righting such wrongs that should never have ever been allowed to happen in the first place. He would walk over hot coals for Daxia - well at least give it a damn good try.

So yes, he could say this was fairly comfortable in the scheme of things.

So he continues to watch the discussions, to memorise the faces of those now considered enemies, to listen as justice is decided.

He smiles as Daxia makes her way over, placing a hand on his shoulder and releasing him from his confinement and accompanies her in the direction she feels best, although it is hard to leave his daggers behind. He is sure Karfluthough that Daxia will find a way to return them, otherwise he may find himself occupied at a forge for some time.

He gives Lyric a grin as they get closer, showing that he was not at all discomfited by the experience, he would take the action again in a heartbeat.

"Interesting times.." is his only comment as he watches Daxia backtrack to retrieve his daggers and nods as she says she will hang onto them for now. He trusts her. And it wasn't the first time she had exceeded her authority.. and wouldn't be the last. He is good with it.

"And I doubt you ever will. Good luck with that." is his response to Daxia's last murmur.

Then Lyric's question takes his attention.

"Karful..?"

His mind replays the previous bits of conversation.

"Ah.. maybe you mean kerfuffle? An upheaval? Bit like what we did in the mines"

Last edited by Gypsy; Mon 07/01/19 13:43 UTC.
Wolf #958242 Mon 07/01/19 14:00 UTC
Lyric

The Minstrel nodded at his mention of 'Interesting Times'

Upheaval? Was this the answer that fit the riddle of a Karfufull. She liked the word, with a kind of a hard sound and then it softened. It reminded her of the oldest language. One she really only knew words and a few phrases anymore. Did she once know more of it? Maybe, but, if so, she was much younger. Karfufull. But his earlier response suited her better. Karfufull meant Interesting Times. She smiled and nodded as she stood beside Cesare.

From behind the Dayalan, she listened to her 'thinking outside her head' again and she chuckled. Lyric took a single foot step closer to speak to Daxia, over her shoulder.

"I have found that Keiko is rather good at understanding nonsense things," she offered at about a the same volume as Daxia's words. "I should know, I have been told I say nonsense things too. Probably not the same kind of nonsense though."

Wolf #958259 Mon 07/01/19 16:08 UTC
Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity

As she listened to her companions talk, Daxia smiled and then chuckled.

“I suppose one could look at the commotion you and Bekkah caused as ‘interesting times,’” she said, addressing both of them.

Then the priestess bowed to the Regent. “By your leave, Lady Nadya, I and my friends will leave you to your conversations with Dama Eleni. It might be best if we plan our departure for the morning and take our interesting times, upheavals, and commotions with us.

“You have enough of your own to deal with.”

Gathering the Rhoni and minstrel with her eyes, she nodded to the doorway and led them outside. Once out of the Khorall’s Court, she flipped the daggers over and presented them hilt-first to Cesare.

“If these daggers are as expertly made as I think they are, you should find no damage to them. But if Slink managed to nick them... well, if my shining personality and stellar reputation can’t convince the Temple’s weapons master to allow you the use of the forge,” she said with a straight face, “I’m not above asking Kisa to use her authority. At least then she’ll have some leverage to excuse her artistically exquisite message tiles that mean nothing until after they could have been useful.”

Then she grinned at Lyric. “And your friend Keiko might have better insight into Kisa’s messages than any of us. The only time one of her tiles made sense was when another Card Reader interpreted it. That was...” She shook her head, a bemused look on her face. “A very long time ago? It’s hard to know how to discuss Time when one falls out of it.”

Brightening, she gestured down the path.

“As much as I appreciate Dean’s effort in finding me a new shield in Bordertown, I’d prefer to have my Lady’s colors on it when I present myself to the High Priestess. Would you like to join me at the Market? Lady only knows where Bekkah is, but I believe I heard Tomomi mention that she was heading that way. Perhaps we’ll find Keiko there, as well.”

[Vielen Dank for the OOC. smile]

Wolf #958272 Mon 07/01/19 17:38 UTC
Lyric

"I am not sure what it means to fall out of time. But maybe it is something like... falling into time. I think I understand that."

The Minstrel walked along with Daxia, maybe a half pace off and to one side of her. She knew that they were headed to the market, but had no idea how best to get there, so Daxia would have to guide her. A little time in the market and a chance to meet up with Keiko and Tomomi again. She looked forward to explaining her new word, karfufull, to her friends and see which definition they like better.

"If it is colors and silks and lace and things to make you ready for this High Priestess... then Yes, Keiko and Tomomi are who we need to find. I know that 'Her Mouseness' was planning to go to the Market. I imagine that Friend keiko will have caught up to her by now... provided they didn't have their own Karfufulls." She really liked that word. She would probably keep saying it for a while, at least until another 'new word' came along. Speaking of which...

"Might there be sinno-man bread at this market?"

Wolf #958303 Mon 07/01/19 21:16 UTC
Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity

“Falling into time? Are the two similar in the way a doorway might be? One can go in through a door and come out through a door. It’s the door that remains.”

Daxia nodded. “Perhaps Time is a doorway, then. Or it can be if one falls in or out of Time.”

Daxia glanced at Cesare. Their experiences at Highside Heather had been very different, but they did share the commonality of living through the same event.

“I will tell you about the night I fell out of Time and let you decide. It’s only fair, after all, to tell you about Highside Heather, to warn you about the place should you ever find yourself there.

“The town is cursed, but in a different way than Brementown is, I think. On foggy nights, folks who are staying at the Inn will discover they are thrown back into the past, to the end of the Second Age, to experience the Battle of Silk Creek Bridge — at least those who leave their room in the middle of the night. And the past seems to know who you are. They knew my name. And it appears that each person takes on a different role and may not even come across others of their party.

“Our friend Dean had been told not to spend the night there, but I think Sir Kevin neglected to tell him why... and so he forgot to warn us.”

She was silent for a few moments; when she spoke again, it was softly — the memories of the event echoed in her voice, they had been that powerful.

“I was part of the Dayalan force at the bridge, holding off the Eastern horde. I fought alongside them as the bridge began falling to pieces. I watched as my Sisters fell to their deaths. Morning Star was in the guise of an ordinary horse, but I knew him. I couldn’t save everyone — I could barely save myself. But the youngest fighter had saved my life, so I saved hers. Morning Star got us off the bridge as She rose in the East.

“So did Kay and I fall both out of time and into time? I can’t say for certain. Perhaps you know more about such things having studied music and the way it tells stories. I’ve read nothing of such potent magic in any of the scrolls in either Dawnview’s or Port of Lys’ libraries. There are stories and rumors about doorways into the lands of the Faerie. I don’t think that’s the case at Highside Heather,” she said, shaking her head. “None of the children’s stories tell of such a dark and horrible place as the Silk Creek Bridge on the night of that fateful battle. No, all I can say is that Highside Heather should be avoided on a foggy night. There is a curse there to be broken, but I fear it will take a Covener to do so.

“Enough of such dark thoughts, though! Verchovai Nadya could well have been speaking to me, Lyric, for I often wonder about past deeds or misdeeds or even a missed opportunity to perform some deed. Could I have done better? Could I have made a difference? Morning Star tells me not to obsess over the events of the past. I suppose someday I’ll get around to actually following his advice.”

Dazi chuckled at Lyric’s description of preparations for an audience with the High Priestess.

“Oh goodness, no! Silks and finery are not necessary. My surcoat and tunics are perfectly acceptable. My shield, however, has a white bar on it rather than silver — at least Dean was fortunate enough to find a round one for me. My Lady’s color is silver — white implies that I am in service to House Allaine. I should enter the Temple grounds carrying a shield that declares I am Dayalan first, Kisa’s knight second.

“And cinnamon bread? Oh, yes! Cinnamon is wonderful, isn’t it? I can’t decide if I like it best in my cider or in a muffin. Well, I suppose I can like them both equally, can’t I?”

Wolf #958405 Tue 08/01/19 15:47 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

He takes his daggers from Daxia, turning them gently over in his hands, catching the light from different angles to check for any defects. He nods.

"Think they survived."

He tucks them away.

"Highside Heather, now that was a strange adventure. Darian and I kept trying to figure our what was happening. People wandering in the corridor outside our room, dressed oddly because of course they were dressed for their time, not ours. Eventually we went downstairs and got co-opted to cross the bridge and to try to delay the horde from arriving, trying to buy some'time' so that those at the bridge might arrive in time to defend it. Out of our time and never sure we might return but we had to play our part to have any chance of that happening."

He adds his part of the tale for Lyric's benefit.

"And the market sounds a great idea if we are travelling on tomorrow."

Wolf #958406 Tue 08/01/19 15:54 UTC
Lyric, certainly no expert on Time

“Falling into time? Are the two similar in the way a doorway might be? One can go in through a door and come out through a door. It’s the door that remains.”

Daxia nodded. “Perhaps Time is a doorway, then. Or it can be if one falls in or out of Time.”

Lyric had listened all the way through the story. She loved stories. This was dramatic and dangerous sounding, but there was an element of the fantastic to it... even epic in scope. Daxia first and the Cesare added a little more from his perspective. She did not understand much of what they were saying but guessed Darian was another companion during that part of their journey. Perhaps 'understand' was not the right word. Lyric didn't have any context from which she could illuminate the events depicted in their story. It was an historical event and one that reminded her of the Jeminy's Hill Ballad. She had heard a couple versions of it, brought back to her home by those very few who ever went beyond the borders. But those songs weren't about Dayalans. Or were they, and one of the things that time did to those who recorded it's passing was to change the stories to... Of course.

"You and your companions did the best you could do. You acted with courage and you fought a battle that was already lost and would always be lost. You didn't have the means to change it. Maybe it is a thing that yet awaits you. You have seen it. Maybe it is still part of your journey, to return. Maybe it is for another band of Companions that the passing of time will call heroes. Powerful Magic is beyond knowing sometimes. The Whys can be as mysterious as the Hows."

Lyric reached out to touch Cesare on the shoulder, "You miss her, don't you?" Just the way he spoke of that companion, the words, the tone in his voice. She remembered him speaking of a companion before, at Home, one that was important to him.

She returned her attention to Daxia. Lyric could tell that those events affected her very deeply. From a trade-craft sense she wanted to help Daxia develop the story because it would a story that would stir hearts and souls. It could inspire people, but also serve as a reminder of the past and a warning for the future. Time kind of stuff. All that was real was just Here and Now though. 'That Which Was' and 'That Has Yet to Come' were not the 'Here and Now'. But on a personal level, fighting beside and having to witness the truth of such a valiant but futile stand must weigh on her deeply. But how to offer her comfort and solace?

So, she thought over the story told to her and considered it again, not as a Minstrel or a bard, but as a friend. Lyric seemed genuinely puzzled by the direction that Daxia had taken with her off-hand comment. She knit her brows together for a moment, casting her gaze to the ground as they walked. She shrugged to herself, cocking her head left, then right and finally shaking it as she looked back to Daxia.

"Maybe I misspoke because I wasn't talking about literally falling. It was the word you used. And I don't know about any doorways. But maybe there is the place I saw... and felt, at the wedding. Ummm... The Rhoni Gate I think it was called. But I don't know what it does or where it might go."

But maybe if Lyric could help Daxia understand her own place in the Magic of that night she spoke about in her story, then maybe Daxia could find a little more peace with what she saw and did.

"When I left my home, everything was different. My people have been alone for a long time, hidden. My people did not want to fight in wars. So they found a way, some say they stole a way... to hide, to protect themselves. This was a long time ago, I'm sure. I don't know though. Because we were alone and hidden we didn't have contact with anyone beyond our own lands. Coming here, being driven from my home... because I believed that we shouldn't hide anymore, because I believed we needed to be a part of the bigger world... well, it was quite a shock. But there was no doorway and I didn't fall, like actually into or out of time. I just kind of meant that everything changed for me and things like keeping track of the days was now very important. It never was like that for me before..."

"And what you describe, what you lived through... yes, that does sound like very powerful magic. A moment that was once a 'Here and Now' was spun into a weave, trapped, suspended, like a loop on a loom, the wheel keeps spinning... Magic like that might be self contained, but it might also be as you believe, a moment left unresolved, needing a key components to allow the magic to unravel and unwind and release... I don't know without seeing it myself. But I am not this person you call a Covener... and neither have I ever journeyed into the lands of the Faerie. I can not tell you what that might look like to do so. But should your path ever bring you back to that place again, by fate or accident... Know this. If I am still welcome in your company then I swear to stand at your side and help you in any and every way I can. And I don't make oaths lightly. My words bind me to my pledge."

Last edited by Phoenix Prime; Tue 08/01/19 18:26 UTC. Reason: fix crosspost with Gypsy
Wolf #958409 Tue 08/01/19 15:58 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
[OOC We may have crossposted again grin ]

Wolf #958561 Wed 09/01/19 05:37 UTC
Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity

She shook her head. “No, I don’t think we can return.”

There were echoes of familiar stories in Lyric’s words, and Daxia paid close attention. Coming from a place hidden away was reminiscent of Celi’s story, and a bit like Darian’s, as well. And who could say where Jankin had come from?

“Ah... everything changing, that is something I understand. You were driven from your home, and I had to venture out of the Vale. The world out there is very different. You fell into a world that made no sense to you.”

Perhaps there was more to be said on that topic — in fact, Dazi knew there was, but this particular moment was not right. Besides, how could she resist the opportunity to have a conversation about the nature of magic and reality?

“I saw a structure on the opposite hill, yes. So that was a Rhoni Gate? They were mentioned in some of the oldest books in the Port of Lys library, but no one seemed to know what purpose they served.”

What Daxia had found most interesting was the fact that some of them were supposed to have existed in the Archipelago.

“I wonder if your kinswoman could share her knowledge of them, Cesare.” She chuckled. “Sometimes I feel like she’s a walking library, except half of what she knows can’t be shared with anyone but you. Please take the opportunity to soak up knowledge that’s forbidden to those of us who aren’t Rhoni!” she said with a grin before turning back to Lyric and shrugging.

“I think a follower of the Horned God — a male Covener — would have to break the curse. Perhaps it would take standing up to the Archmage in the past as well as some great deed in the present. I saw the Archmage. He was mad with his God’s grief. There would be no reasoning with him, and nothing can change the past anyway.

“And truly... I don’t know if one can experience that night more than once.” Dazi looked from Lyric to Cesare and back again. “If it were possible to experience that fight again...”

She was pensively silent for a moment. “Would I find myself in the same role as before? Would I find Kay waiting for me there? If I don’t save her a second time, would that endanger her existence in the Here and Now? Or should I just trust that Krysta will do the right thing and give Kay this life, here in our time, and a chance at happiness? I think I could trust that Krysta would give Kay the chance to be Lady Romana’s Knight.

“I would be sorely tempted to try to save another of my Sisters, though. And I’m not sure that would be wise.

“I am certain of this, however: I am happy to have you as one of our company, and would be honored to stand with you against adversity... wherever we might find.

“I hope you find a way to help your people, Lyric. And I will offer you my assistance, if you should need it, in your endeavor. My vow is not likely the same as your, but I only put my service to Dayala and my allegiance to the Allaine Family ahead of my promises to friends.” This time, when Daxia smiled, it was easy to see the resemblance between her and her sister, despite her face being framed by red hair instead of blonde. “My sister and my friend Cesare consider you a friend. Cesare is a good judge of people. And despite failing to realize that might actually people in the world who might want to hurt her, Bekkah is insufferably right when it comes to people she trusts.”

Wolf #958574 Wed 09/01/19 14:08 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

He smiles but with a fondness now.

"Yes I miss her, maybe more than some of our other companions who no longer walk our path. She and I shared a relationship for a while but like most things, they last only for a time and our goals lay in different directions. I wish her well."

He listens as Lyric continues.

"How do a whole people hide themselves?"

He asks the question almost reflectively, knowing how hard it had been to hide four of them and not from everyone. Then he realises what he is asking.

"No, don't answer that. That knowledge belongs to them but I would happily assist you if you want to bring them to a different understanding. Hiding doesn't solve anything."

"Rhoni gates. Another void in my knowledge." He chuckles, much easier with his place in life now. "But I will ask her though that will probably mean I can't tell you either. There is so much we are not supposed to share. Maybe that is something that needs addressing too?"

He muses on that thought, thinking he might discuss that too with Keiko at some point.

"And I'm not sure I want to experience that fight again Daxia. It was pretty scary and so much out of our control."

Then he grins as Daxia pays him a compliment.

"Don't know about good judge.. but I'm still hanging around with you."

Wolf #958947 Fri 11/01/19 17:35 UTC
Lyric

This tale that Daxia told was another part of the Flowered Path Story. Lyric remembered the things she felt as they traveled the path. She remembered that one crossroads, where the path in one direction felt stronger and darker. They had travelled the other way, a different direction in the story, toward the Bordering Town. The story brought such a sadness to Lyric, and not just from the purely emotional romantic aspect of love and loss, but because the the Remnant of the Great Forest carried a curse born of these dark days. That sadness that came with those recent memories and feelings was not hidden from the view of her friends. Lyric seldom hid her emotions, good and bad. This was a weight of a sorrow and a sadness, but it wasn't her own. She didn't cry over it now as she did when she first felt the anguish at the Crossroads.

When Cesare asked about the magic her people used, she shrugged. It was an honest answer. She really didn't know. It was a very long time ago and such secrets were closely guarded by those of her people that were far more adept at Magical Arts than she. He quickly negated his own question and that was just as well. Some things were too dangerous to even give voice.

Daxia expressed her reluctance to ever venture to the place of that battle lost and locked in the weave of time and reality. She didn't accept her pledge and oath outright and didn't make one of her own. Not exactly, and that was good, because such things had to be spoken 'exactly'. Lyric didn't respond directly either. She didn't dare say anything that might create a bond in oath. Such magic wasn't her specialty, but she knew enough to be careful with such things. Truth be told, she really wasn't sure how such magic operated at all, let alone beyond the borders of her home. She just nodded for Daxia's benefit and said, "I am grateful you feel this way."

"I am happy that I have people around me who care about me. Who care for me. Who help me..."

"... and trust me."

The last trailed off as she looked distantly between these two friends and smiled a little wanly. They did, didn't they? Why? That and so many other questions and doubts that refused to come closer to the edge of her mind's eye to be seen and heard properly and possibly resolved. The doubts forced her to struggle with a decision that was getting closer and closer to a point of no return. Even if you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice. Now those would probably be very profound words for a song or a poem. And there was always 'But, What If' was waiting to challenge her courage.

Wolf #958948 Fri 11/01/19 17:46 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

"Sounds like there is a question in there Lyric.."

He teases her.

"Well Daxia doesn't know you that well yet but she trusts us and we trust you and care for you so that's all good. When you came up with a plan for the mine, I trusted it and you. Maybe I'm just good at taking orders from women though..?"

He chuckles, making light of it in their relaxed mode, a moment between friends.

Wolf #958954 Fri 11/01/19 18:34 UTC
Lyric

Teasing or not, Lyric half nodded. She hadn't realized it until he mentioned it but, yes, there was a question that needed to be asked.

Soon.

It had to be soon.

...a plan for the mine

Cesare's argument for her worthiness to be trusted was probably the first time it had been said outside those who had been there at the Lake in Dark Forest. She has devised the plan for the assault on Faast Keep to overthrow the Insane Prince, his Evil Dwarves, and free the slaves... and let the dragon return to its slumber in peace. It was the only plan she could think of that could balance so many needs, account for so many defenses, and do it all in so little time. Just not enough time to free Kadri.

But that was a sadness she carried and was something with which she was learning to cope.

And yet it was the first time Lyric heard it credited to her in a way that gave Cesare a reason to trust her in the future. She believed that, as a Minstrel for the future of her people, she was journeying to see and listen and learn. Devising plans to free slaves, fighting up close against weasel monsters, killing dwarves to even the odds for the Pack, singing the magic out of darksteel, and helping slaves race up a long tower to the surface so they could see the Sun for the very first time ever, was not what she envisioned to be the role of a Minstrel so far from her home.

It didn't sound wrong to hear it, but she felt awkward to be 'this person'.

"Without you, without everyone who helped... it would never have worked. It would never have been more than some drawings on paper at a table in a Tree. Thank you for believing in me though."

Wolf #959026 Sat 12/01/19 10:12 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

"Anytime."

He grins at her.

"And yes we all had to play a part, to trust each other, everyone to play their part and do their upmost.. that's how these things work you know."

Wolf #959199 Sun 13/01/19 16:21 UTC
Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity

Daxia had lived in the Dayalan Temple for twenty years and had absorbed, at least on an intellectual level, the prejudices of most Dawnview Vale Dayalans. Perhaps the primary reason she had walked out of the Vale with a particular mindset and returned more than a year later with a unicorn at her side was due to the influence of Kassia and Gillyflower Dariansdotter — both of them Wild Dayalans.

Or, given the personality of her older sister, perhaps it was simply a family trait to be more accepting of people than so many of the priestesses in the Temple. Perhaps it was necessary to cleanse and rededicate the Temple on the Border.

These were the things she contemplated as Cesare and Lyric chatted back and forth.

But it came down to one thing: Trust.

That was an interesting thing, wasn’t it? She had trusted a Rhoni when common sense — based on rumors spread about them — insisted she shouldn’t. She had trusted a Jvrillian when she’d been taught they were just brutes who lived to mock women who carried swords. Maybe Mikal hadn’t truly understood why certain aspects of fighting were meant only for Dayalans, but he had at least tried to learn. She had trusted a Covener because she’d been taught that Dayalans ought to protect them — something she hadn’t been able to do for Celi. Perhaps that had been the first inkling that relying on her teachers’ beliefs wasn’t always the best idea.

And then there had been Romana. At times, it seemed as though everything Daxia had learned needed to be tossed into a midden heap in order to honestly interact with the Easterner. Dazi thought it made her a better person to take each person as an individual and not judge them for their place of birth, their heritage, their church, their Family Name. Did it make her a better servant of her Lady? Perhaps.

Or perhaps not. That was something for her Lady to determine. And so Daxia just did her best every day to stay true to... well, her heart, really. That might just be the right way to live life. Everyone who had any influence in who she had become — from her parents and sister to her teachers to an Eastern Princess, a rapscallion of the Family Korie, and long-dead Dayalan priestesses — had a place in her heart.

She grinned at Cesare.

“Da, you’re still following me around, and that might count against your judgment, my friend,” she said, laughing. “Perhaps it speaks more to your ability to get into trouble, for trouble does seem to nip at my heels.”

Then Dazi nodded to Lyric. “Some might say I trust too readily. I prefer to think of it as leaving as many preconceptions aside as I can, and then letting the actions of others guide me as trust develops. That rascal Dominic made himself known as an amusing, talkative friend of Bordertown’s Sheriff, Swordlord Mohlkavin, and Captain Koromov. By the time I learned that he was the youngest son of Dorian Korie — someone who was at odds with the Allaine Family — it was too late. I couldn’t possibly dislike him simply because his father was a bit cranky and tried to make life more difficult for my Khorall.

“And as it turns out, Dorian himself isn’t such a bad person.”

Dazi reached over and lightly punched the Rhoni’s shoulder. “Careful about admitting that you enjoy taking orders from women, Cesare. You’ll have half the unmarried women of the Vale trying to find a way to tie you to a marriage bond and the other half just hoping you’ll warm their beds for a night.” This time, the Dayalan snickered. “I can’t decide if your kinswoman would defend your honor or fall over laughing.”

Tilting her head to one side, she regarded the minstrel for a moment after her last comment.

“You have the right mindset for leadership, Lyric. You recognize that any great deeds you might do can only be done with the help of those you trust to do their parts.

“Cesare has the right of things. Whatever this quest you’ve set yourself on behalf of your people... well, perhaps it’s not something that you can achieve on your own. You’re the key, of course, just as I was the key to breaking the Curse of the Avatar. But the greatest deeds aren’t done alone.”

She shook her head and smiled wryly.

“There were eight other Dayalans with Jeminy Kilkenna and Kisa Allaine when they stood against the Eastern Horde to protect Risa’s followers. But no minstrel mentioned their names.

“There were hundreds of Dayalans and ordinary farmers standing against the incursion of the Imperial forces when Lhannon Bankorpool crossed the Corliss Fields and started into Snowgate Pass. Even the Snowqueen herself isn’t named, but she could not have held off the Imperial army without her people and her priestesses.

“The mad minstrel of Trundle alludes to my actions and Romana’s actions as we faced the Avatar and Chaos Riders, but makes no mention of Morning Star’s deed... and says nothing of Cesare and Kadri and Mikal and Darian and Dean and Bekkah. Without each and every one of them, there would be no song.”

Glancing from one to the other of them, she smiled as she gestured to the market just ahead of them.

“Be of good cheer, Lyric! There is an excellent market to be enjoyed now, and whatever burdens you carry in your heart must surely be eased by a few moments of delight, da? I will not be so bold as to claim your friendship, but you have around you several friends — including my own sister. If we can help you carry your burden, it may be safe to say that we will. And if it is something you alone must bear, then we will be forced to find ways to lighten your heavy heart.

“It’s what friends do, or so I’ve come to understand.”

Wolf #959207 Sun 13/01/19 16:40 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

"Trouble can be fun.. sometimes.. more especially when looked back on in the past."

Then his expression changes to one of alarm when she talks of him being pursued by the unmarried woman.

"The Fates be my friend! I would much rather the latter than the former."

The he raises an eyebrow, looking from one to the other.

"And yes, I am very happy not to be named in any epic poems or songs. I value my freedom and the anonymity that goes with with it. Life is much more relaxing that way. Daxia can have the glory. But she is right in that there are always untold others in any conflict, ones to trust and share the burden. Untold is good."

Wolf #959266 Sun 13/01/19 18:51 UTC
Lyric

The Minstrel listened. What remained to be said would come soon enough, perhaps sooner than she was ready. But 'Soon Enough' was much like 'That Which Will Be' in that you couldn't slow it down and trying could only add more stress and hurt to your heart. Perhaps Keiko would see it like a Wave, the kind she talks about having to ride to see where it will go and what it will do. Soon enough.

So, she listened to Daxia and Cesare.

The Dayalan's words were comforting but Trust would be tested. Cesare's reassurance was easing. Some might look past that impending moment, remember all the ones before it, and still find a way to see that she is the same person they knew. It was true they had faced many great challenges before she came into their lives, but hers was different and unique. She had to save a people who didn't want to be saved, and didn't even accept that they needed to be saved.

The Minstrel listened.

"Thank you both... everyone who has allowed me into their lives..."

Maybe there was more to say, but the Minstrel fell quiet and pensive as she looked ahead to the market before them. She feigned a smile and gathered her enthusiasm about her like the cloak she wore and tried to displace the anxiety and stress so that she could experience the joy and wonder before the 'Soon Enough' became 'Here and Now'.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Wolf 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Talon475, Randal Trimmer, Kimf, Yvon, Xiang Chin
177 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Member Spotlight
Gypsy
Gypsy
Pidley, Cambs, UK
Forum Statistics
Forums103
Topics2,816
Posts139,484
Members177
Most Online296
Jan 19th, 2020
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
†Restricted forums can only be accessed by DreamLyrics members of the age of 18 years or older. Access which is granted by the Behind Closed Doors Procedure.
™DreamLyrics Play-by-Post. DreamLyrics Play-by-Post does not own copyright on DreamLyrics texts or graphics, except trademarked DreamLyrics logos and logotypes. The works contained in DreamLyrics are copyrighted (automatically, under the Berne Convention) by the original authors and may be available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence. (See Copyrights for details.)
Privacy Policy