Eye of the Dragon
DreamLyrics Message Gaming
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Weez), 3 guests, and 31 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Dice Roller
You will need to enable Javascript in order to view the Dice Roller.
Games List
You will need to enable Javascript in order to view the Games List.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#920660
Thu 12/04/18 12:06 UTC
Thu 12/04/18 12:06 UTC
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 37,117
M
MikeD Offline

Administrator
MikeD  Offline

Administrator
M
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 37,117
Maddox

He shrugged. They should know best.


MikeD
#920698
Thu 12/04/18 19:31 UTC
Thu 12/04/18 19:31 UTC
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 9,828
nemarsde Offline OP

Wobbly Headed
nemarsde  Offline OP

Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 9,828
GM

In hushed voices, the downfall of Bailakask is plotted.

Firstly, Erenbren will take the form of a pipistrelle and fly into the cave to scout it out.

Simulatenously, Narin might take the form of a water shrew and scout out the culvert. After judging its depth, he could watch Erenbren from the water, and return to summon help if needed.

Gracie has the seax, gifted to her by Loshad. A straight-edged, stabbing sword with a clipped point, it has a blade of silvered steel, hard, untarnishable and death to a lycanthrope.

Panim has the ash and mustard pots that he can heat with a cantrip. When thrown, they'll be a strong deterrent against giant Dymrak wolves, possibly werewolves too. Fireballs in a cave are probably best avoided.

So the plan is to send in the druids. If they agree, do they go?

#920793
Fri 13/04/18 15:45 UTC
Fri 13/04/18 15:45 UTC
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 9,828
nemarsde Offline OP

Wobbly Headed
nemarsde  Offline OP

Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 9,828
Taras

He looks at Panim with a scrutinising frown. Invisibility? Even if the young magic-user is serious, Taras does not like idea of disappearing one iota.

Yet the idea of not being seen by werewolves is wonderfully appealing too.

"Invisibility would be champion, Panim," he says, "if'n we make our forray into the cave...

"You can turn us visible again, right?"

That said, he watches the druids undertake the first perilous step, scouting of the wolves' den. Taras prays that the wolves won't sense anything off about the tiny bat fluttering around their cave.

"Mind how you go." He says.

#920813
Fri 13/04/18 19:12 UTC
Fri 13/04/18 19:12 UTC
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 9,828
nemarsde Offline OP

Wobbly Headed
nemarsde  Offline OP

Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 9,828
||GM

Into the wolf's maw,
Fly or swim, fast they must be,
Lingering not suspiciously.
In they go, bold as can be,
Into the wolf's maw.


So sayeth the Terror of Terrentias, though only Airlyn could hear.

The druids were soon in their animal forms, Erenbren darting through the air as a tiny, thumb-sized pipistrelle and Narin sliding stealthily into the culvert as a water shrew.

As he expected, the water in the culvert wasn't deep, only 4 feet to the bottom, but it was disgusting. Stagnant and murky, the effluent from the wolves' den had drained into it, bodily fluids from predator and prey.

Narin-shrew followed the culvert around a sharp bend, about 20 feet into a narrow pool, finding himself at one end of a large vaulted cavern, shaped much like an oxbow.

Surfacing silently, the rodent's small, beady eyes peered into the gloom, nostrils flaring. Offal, bones and faecal piles littered the banks of the pool. It was an unpleasant stench, perhaps for any creature other than a giant Dymrak wolf.

Erenbren-bat flitted over his fellow druid's head, first low to the water, then up to the ceiling. The cavern was some 50-feet wide and 200-feet long, though because of its curvature, barely half was visible from either end. The walls were a jumbled mess of dripstone, creating smaller natural alcoves and hidey holes.

Flying close to the undulating ceiling, at heights up to 50 feet, the pipistrelle sensed wolves hidden away amongst the dripstone, females, their eyes glinting predatorial in the firelight. He counted five and Narin would agree.

As for the fire, it was built in an upper gallery, atop a narrow, graven ramp, that curved up and around to an ancient statue overlooking the cavern. It was of a dog-headed man, slender and standing, but mostly buried in glistening flowstone.

It could be to a gnoll, what an elf was to a human, smaller perhaps but more elegant. It surely pre-dated the wolves' den and any werewolves. Doubtless it was Hutaakan then.

Around it were arrayed trophies, stacked skulls and garlands of dried entrails, and the surrounding walls were marred by obscene hard-paintings.

These appeared to dance by the light of the fire, and beside it a filthy man prepared his pigments. He was naked though hirsute, wearing only a rough necklace of bones and pebbles.

Opposite him, across the fire, someone else knelt, covered head to toe and concealed by a wolfskin.

Turning away, Erenbren felt suddenly and deeply uneasy, a throbbing desire to return his gaze to the kneeling figure.

But he didn't. The party had given him one job, to scout. Erenbren-bat and Narin-shrew returned instead to the cleaner air of the flood-meadow outside.

***

Soon after, reverted and able to speak normally, the two intrepid druids report what they've learnt to their friends.

You are still concealed behind clumps of basket willow, though Allara has now perched herself on Panim's shoulder. (The aspiring wizard might find it an agreeable sensation, an owl on the shoulder; very wizardly.)

Erenbren and Narin could reasonably propose that the kneeling, cloaked figure is likely Bailakask, the naked man her son and shaman, Kalkask.

Erenbren Shapeshifts 2d6+Wis, 8+2=10, gains 3 Green Bennies
Narin Shapeshifts 2d6+Wis, 8+2=10, gains 3 Green Bennies
Erenbren Animal Moves, spends 1/3 Green Bennies
Narin Animal Moves, spends 1/3 Green Bennies
Narin Aids(Erenbren) 2d6+Bond, 11+1=12
Erenbren Discerns Realities 2d6+Wis+Aid, 9+2+2=13, gains +1 Forward
Erenbren Animals Moves, spends 2/3 Green Bennies
Erenbren Reverts
Narin Reverts


[To save repeating, we can assume Narin and Erenbren have reported the above.]

Last edited by nemarsde; Wed 20/06/18 13:18 UTC.
#921120
Mon 16/04/18 14:45 UTC
Mon 16/04/18 14:45 UTC
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 59,592
Gypsy Offline

Wizop
Gypsy  Offline

Wizop
Administrator
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 59,592
Gracie

"I think we need to split into two groups, one to take on the werewolves and the other to take on the wolves. Obviously we need to be flexible as the situation evolves but not many of us can affect the werewolves so that is where our focus should be with the rest targeting the wolves. What do you think?"

She looks at her friends, knowing they are courageous and skilled but they are up against unknown foes.

"One of the werewolves is a shaman so maybe we need to try to disrupt him from the beginning. We can all stay together as if we head for the werewolves, the wolves should rush to their defence, so we could fight back to back?"

#921123
Mon 16/04/18 15:06 UTC
Mon 16/04/18 15:06 UTC
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 37,117
M
MikeD Offline

Administrator
MikeD  Offline

Administrator
M
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 37,117
Maddox

"The only concern is that we could be surrounded and not be able to get out of a bad situation. Not that I mean we shouldn't go for it ... just something to be aware of."



MikeD
#921145
Mon 16/04/18 18:40 UTC
Mon 16/04/18 18:40 UTC
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 18,063
Zeim Offline
(Buffalo)
Zeim  Offline
(Buffalo)
Moderator
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 18,063
Zachariah

When the two scouts return, he asks, "Did you see any other exit from the cave?"

In his experience most creatures, even natural ones, have multiple exits from their lairs or hideouts. Not good to charge in the front and let them all escape out the rear.

As Gracie's comment, he nods. "Other than you and Panim I don't know what else we have that can cause the werewolves real harm, but even if they can't be wounded by regular weapons, they're not likely to be able to simply ignore being bashed by a large piece of steel. It'll knock them down or interfere with their own attacks at least."

He agrees with Maddox, and nods to him as well. "It would be good if we could find a narrow spot part of the way in, past the entrance where Airlyn and I could setup a defensive line while Panim could use his magic against the Shaman before he can do the same to us, and our archers could fire past us. Gracie could fire arrows as well and look for an opportunity to use the silvered seax. I'd prefer not to fight where we had to fight back to back because that would mean we were surrounded."

He turns back to the scouts. "Any such place within come to mind?"

Last edited by nemarsde; Tue 17/04/18 07:24 UTC. Reason: Silvered seax
#921147
Mon 16/04/18 18:43 UTC
Mon 16/04/18 18:43 UTC
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 44,624
Exeter Offline

Administrator
Exeter  Offline

Administrator
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 44,624
Erenbren


The Hin druid frowned in thought, looking to the elven druid, his eyebrows quirking upward in a questioning expression as he considered just what he'd seen inside the foul smelling cave.

#921191
Tue 17/04/18 07:17 UTC
Tue 17/04/18 07:17 UTC
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 9,828
nemarsde Offline OP

Wobbly Headed
nemarsde  Offline OP

Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 9,828
GM

Most caves breathe naturally, and the wolves' den is also a large space to fill with air. The ceiling above the fire would certainly be soot-stained, and Erenbren might suspect the cavern is further ventilated by crevices, but his acute bat senses did not detect any entrances other than the culvert Narin had scouted.

The ramp that swept up to the statue was sheer-sided and quite narrow, less than 10-feet wide in places. Taking a stand there would mean werewolves on one side, giant wolves on the other. Two sides is better than surrounded though.

Your party could also make a stand with backs to the pool, allowing you to guard your retreat. Your line would be drawn-out though, not the tight wad that Zach hoped for. Another problem might be Kalkask. In an attack, the shaman might stay atop the ramp, by the statue. Over 20-feet above the cavern floor, he could rain dark magic down on you with impunity.

#921193
Tue 17/04/18 07:58 UTC
Tue 17/04/18 07:58 UTC
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 9,828
nemarsde Offline OP

Wobbly Headed
nemarsde  Offline OP

Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 9,828
Taras

"We have Kuzma's ash and mustard pots too." He says, although they'll need Panim to heat their noxious contents.

Taras considers his own weapons. A double-bitted axe, possibly of dwarven make, and his flatbow. He doubts either will harm the werewolves.

But that clarifies the situation for him.

"Perhaps holding the ramp is best." He ponders aloud, "We split our enemy's numbers, and why bother all of us facing the werewolves, when not all can hurt them."

#921195
Tue 17/04/18 11:46 UTC
Tue 17/04/18 11:46 UTC
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 46,199
Nivek Offline
Administrator
Nivek  Offline
Administrator
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 46,199
Narin

"What about Erenbren or me, changing form and getting behind the Shaman. Then changing again and maybe we could knock him down to the lower level?"

"The more damage we can do by surprising them the better. If we can't take out some of them quickly, this could turn on us."

#921199
Tue 17/04/18 13:07 UTC
Tue 17/04/18 13:07 UTC
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 26,544
AJ Offline
Moderator
AJ  Offline
Moderator
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 26,544
Airlyn

Reckon you could kill those wolf-changers?

Airlyn inquired of her flail.

#921202
Tue 17/04/18 15:16 UTC
Tue 17/04/18 15:16 UTC
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 9,828
nemarsde Offline OP

Wobbly Headed
nemarsde  Offline OP

Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 9,828
GM

"Sneak into the cave through the water, you will not." Says Allara in Raptor, for the druids and Gracie to understand, "Make too much noise will you."

A good point. Sloshing through the culvert with lanterns; what are the chances you can do so without alerting wolves in their own den?

Airlyn also has words from her possessed weapon.

This black pearl,
Dark spawn of kopru!
From beyond living worlds it came
And to the same shall it send
All who stand in our way.



#921208
Tue 17/04/18 15:53 UTC
Tue 17/04/18 15:53 UTC
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 59,592
Gypsy Offline

Wizop
Gypsy  Offline

Wizop
Administrator
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 59,592
Gracie

"OK, the ramp does seem like our best option but we have to get there. Panim do you have any magic that could make us quiet? Erenbren and Narin, do you have any flying form that could carry another? Allara has warned us that entering via the water will create noise."

She turns to Allara, reverting to the animal tongue.

**Is there a way we could enter from above? Could you scout that for us?**

"I've just asked Allara if there is a way in from the top. Another thought, we might be able to bring one or two of them out if we can create some kind of diversion or enticement out here?"

#921218
Tue 17/04/18 21:20 UTC
Tue 17/04/18 21:20 UTC
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 11,243
Pandemonium Offline
Member
Pandemonium  Offline
Member
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 11,243
Panim

He tried to stay still for the owl to perch but found himself noticing that he moved quite a bit. Probably no more so than any other teenager, but it wasn't something he had ever paid attention to before now.

"The cave offers us a confined space to corral them. It would make things like my fireball spell more effective in some ways, and less effective in others.

"I would prefer to not be surrounded by them. I think that anything we can do to garner an advantage is worth considering, invisibility included. Yes I can make people reappear. Though acting by attacking will do so as well."

Last edited by Pandemonium; Tue 17/04/18 21:20 UTC.
#921232
Wed 18/04/18 00:48 UTC
Wed 18/04/18 00:48 UTC
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 44,624
Exeter Offline

Administrator
Exeter  Offline

Administrator
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 44,624
Erenbren


Erenbren looked at Narin and shrugged.

"Either of us could change to a bird large enough to carry the other as a small one, then land behind the shaman. Then if we both change back to regular form and push the shaman..."

#921274
Wed 18/04/18 04:40 UTC
Wed 18/04/18 04:40 UTC
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 26,544
AJ Offline
Moderator
AJ  Offline
Moderator
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 26,544
Airlyn

"I'll go after the wolf-changers, I've the means to harm them, if'n we're going by group."

#921281
Wed 18/04/18 12:02 UTC
Wed 18/04/18 12:02 UTC
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 46,199
Nivek Offline
Administrator
Nivek  Offline
Administrator
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 46,199
Narin

"I like that idea Erenbren. Keeps either of us from being alone. I'll carry you if that works for you? We can stay up there and use bows or change again and rejoin the others below."

#921284
Wed 18/04/18 12:28 UTC
Wed 18/04/18 12:28 UTC
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 37,117
M
MikeD Offline

Administrator
MikeD  Offline

Administrator
M
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 37,117
Maddox

"Well I guess it's pretty obvious I will be working on the wolf side."


MikeD
#921320
Wed 18/04/18 16:54 UTC
Wed 18/04/18 16:54 UTC
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 18,063
Zeim Offline
(Buffalo)
Zeim  Offline
(Buffalo)
Moderator
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 18,063
Zachariah

"I have no means of harming the Werewolves, so I will focus on the regular wolves as well."

#921379
Wed 18/04/18 22:42 UTC
Wed 18/04/18 22:42 UTC
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 44,624
Exeter Offline

Administrator
Exeter  Offline

Administrator
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 44,624
Erenbren


"Then I'll transform back into my tiny bat {pipistrelle} form and travel on your back, Narin."

#921886
Sun 22/04/18 14:59 UTC
Sun 22/04/18 14:59 UTC
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 9,828
nemarsde Offline OP

Wobbly Headed
nemarsde  Offline OP

Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 9,828
[Ghosted for Pandemonium]

Panim

He smoothed his hand along his staff, considering first Taras's lantern then the foul water in the culvert.

A bad combination, to be sure, and by the time they'd waded noisy into the cave, they'd sorely need light. A more important need than invisibility, he deemed, given the choice of the two.

"And I will ensure our way is lit." He said, nodding to himself.

#921887
Sun 22/04/18 15:06 UTC
Sun 22/04/18 15:06 UTC
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 9,828
nemarsde Offline OP

Wobbly Headed
nemarsde  Offline OP

Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 9,828
Taras

"It's a good plan; aye champion." He agrees.

It's better than his lack of a plan leastways.

There seems little point in unpacking his bow for use in a dark cave, so he stays with the double-bitted axe. He'll focus on the giant wolves.

Approaching the culvert again, Taras puffs out his chest, looking at the foul-smelling stagnant water.

"Ah well. Bath time!"

#921888
Sun 22/04/18 15:07 UTC
Sun 22/04/18 15:07 UTC
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 9,828
nemarsde Offline OP

Wobbly Headed
nemarsde  Offline OP

Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 9,828
||GM

Your plan: For the druids to fly in and up to the statue in the form of bats, there they will distract Bailakask and her shaman son, whilst the rest of the party enter on foot and punch through to the ramp. There they will hold fast, preventing the wolves in the cavern below from ascending.

Airlyn and Gracie will then detach, armed with the weaponry to slay lycanthropes and reinforce the druids above.

A thick, paw-like cloud passed in front of the luminous Worm Moon.

***

The she-wolf's ears twitch and she lifts her giant black head from where she lays. Her eyes are yellow, staring into the gloom behind the stagnant pool.

Firelight reflects, dancing on its lifeless surface, disappearing into the culvert beyond.

Two bats flit into the cavern, appearing to chase each other up to the ceiling. One's about the size of a starling, the other barely the size of a wren. Noctule and pipistrelle.

Another she-wolf beside the first lifts her head. Bats aren't what disturbs them. Together they growl.

The sound of a scuffing boot echoes in the tunnel. Then focused, clear light glances off of the water.

Around the cavern, all five she-wolves spring to their feet, snarling, as Taras and Zach emerge from the culvert, wading through the waist deep water. Following them are Gracie and Panim, who holds aloft his staff, shedding mystical light, and bears Allara on his shoulder. Maddox brings up the rear.

Having taken the ledge running alongside the water---low ceiling no obstacle to a Hin---Airlyn emerges with Taras and Zach.

Five she-wolves stand in their way, teeth bared. Slavering, gigantic creatures, longer and sharper in the tooth than the Dymrak wolves so far encountered.

In the air, the druid bats dive towards the upper gallery and statue.

The hairy man, Kalkask, doesn't drop his paint pots, but instead starts flicking paint at the wall.

Narin-bat hears it then. A pounding beat, rhythmic, in his ears or mind he can't tell but it seeps into his blood, firing him.

"Yes. Come!" Says a smooth, husky voice.

Beside the fire, the kneeling figure throws off her cloak and stands.

Bailakask. She is sleek and naked beneath the cave grime. Her bosom fulsome yet supple, shuddering as she stamps her feet in time to the beat only Narin can hear. Wild, fierce, lustful.

Her white hair is shorn above the ears and spiked up with animal fat on top, and she wears a necklace of uncut gemstones. She has the eyes of a wolf and stares up, straight at Narin-bat, and her plush lips part, wantonly, beckoning.

"Narin." Bailakask speaks his name, and the druid finds himself landing, reverting to an elf.

"Join with me!" Says the Mother of All Wolves, revealing her wolfish yellow fangs.

Erenbren-bat realises Narin has fallen under some spell. Fortunately Erenbren has not. Perhaps it's his Hin foibles, perhaps he prefers his women a few feet shorter and lot less hungry.

But what will he do now?

The rest of the party have five wolves to contend with before they can help.

Click to reveal...
A: Str+2, Dex+2, Con+0, Int+0, Wis+1, Cha-1; Ar 1; Dmg d10+d4(+2); XP 7/10; HP 19/19
E: Str+0, Dex+2, Con+1, Int+0, Wis+2, Cha-1; Ar 1; Dmg d6; XP 8/10; HP 15/20
G: Str+0, Dex+2, Con-1, Int+0, Wis+2, Cha+1; Ar 1; Dmg d8; XP 10/10; HP 16/16
M: Str+1, Dex+3, Con+1, Int+0, Wis-1, Cha+0; Ar 1(2); Dmg d8; XP 6/10; HP 18/21; Ptn 1
N: Str+0, Dex+1, Con+1, Int+0, Wis+2, Cha-1; Ar 2; Dmg d6; XP 10/10; HP 18/20
P: Str+0, Dex+1, Con+2, Int+2, Wis+0, Cha-1; Ar 1; Dmg d4; XP 8/10; HP 15/20
Z: Str+1, Dex+0, Con+2, Int-1, Wis+0, Cha+2; Ar 2; Dmg d10(+d4+1); XP 9/10; HP 20/27

SheWorg1: Ar 1; Dmg d8; HP 6/6
SheWorg2: Ar 1; Dmg d8; HP 6/6
SheWorg3: Ar 1; Dmg d8; HP 6/6
SheWorg4: Ar 1; Dmg d8; HP 6/6
SheWorg5: Ar 1; Dmg d8; HP 6/6

Bailakask: Ar 1; Dmg d10+2(1 Piercing); HP 12/12
Kalkask: Ar 1; Dmg d8+2(1 Piercing); HP 10/10


Erenbren Shapeshifts 2d6+Wis+Fw, 8+2+1=11, gains 3 Brown Bennies
Narin Shapeshifts 2d6+Wis, 7+2=9, gains 2 Brown Bennies
Erenbren Animal Moves, spends 1/3 Brown Bennies
Narin Animal Moves, spends 1/2 Brown Bennies
Panim Casts Light 2d6+Int-On, 9+2-1=10
Erenbren Defies Danger 2d6+Wis, 9+2=11
Narin Defies Danger 2d6+Wis, 4+2=6, #Miss, GM Moves
Narin Reverts

#921907
Sun 22/04/18 15:49 UTC
Sun 22/04/18 15:49 UTC
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 18,063
Zeim Offline
(Buffalo)
Zeim  Offline
(Buffalo)
Moderator
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 18,063
Zachariah

He sees the scene as they come around a bend in the tunnel and he emerges from the stream. He also notes Narin changing back to his natural form, which is a deviation from the plan. But Narin in on the other side of the wolves that are blocking he and the others from the platform and as he's learned in training you worry about your own responsibilities in a fight. Once you start worrying too much about what others are doing you get distracted, and that can be deadly.

So, using the longer reach of hIs new longsword he strides ahead and slashes at the nearest Worg.

Last edited by Zeim; Sun 22/04/18 21:39 UTC.
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  nemarsde 

Newest Members
LadyJinx, ChrisW, Wolfwyr, Meijhen, Blackwolf
136 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Member Spotlight
Posts: 2,760
Joined: May 2014
Show All Member Profiles 
Forum Statistics
Forums100
Topics2,278
Posts188,983
Members136
Most Online206
Nov 4th, 2012
October
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
†Restricted forums can only be accessed by DreamLyrics members of the age of 18 years or older. Access which is granted by the Behind Closed Doors Procedure.
™DreamLyrics Message Gaming. DreamLyrics Message Gaming does not own copyright on DreamLyrics texts or graphics, except trademarked DreamLyrics logos and logotypes. The works contained in DreamLyrics are copyrighted (automatically, under the Berne Convention) by the original authors and may be available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence. (See Copyrights for details.)
Privacy Policy
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.1.1