Eye of the Dragon
DreamLyrics Play-by-Post
Who's Online Now
1 members (Tusk), 11 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Dice Roller
You will need to enable Javascript in order to view the Dice Roller.
Games Recruiting List

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Bekkah

When the traders backed down, Bekkah, looking again like a docile blond healer who couldn't hurt a fly.

"Safe travels to you good sir. And if you need my help while I am still here, please do not hesitate to send someone for me. I am always available for those who are suffering." she said bowing her head slightly before turning to return to where the others had remained.

As they walked, she spoke to Cesare.

"Thank you for your support."

If he looked at her, he'd notice a satisfied little smile at the corner of her mouth.

Wizop
Administrator
Online Content
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

He tried hard to smother the grin forming on his face.. really hard and almost succeeded. But then Bekkah had stood her ground against the sharks too so he shouldn't be surprised.

"Good one Bekkah!" he whispers in her left ear, the voice warm and amused.. a yes, a little proud of her.

And then a little louder, giving her the opportunity to withdraw without any loss of face.

"Shall we go join the others, my Lady?"

He offers his arm in respect.

Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Verchovai Kassia Dariansdotter

The Dayalan nodded. “He’s likely the brightest Pest on the mainland, which serves him well as he also the biggest Pest.”

If the hint of non-human features gave Kassia pause, even Broke’s sharp senses wouldn’t have been able to detect it. And if Renyard had returned from wherever his travels had taken him, he could have confirmed something that possibly only Khorall Linnell Allaine truly understood about the woman — she knew that those precious Patterns of the Allaines needed the support of connections. And the bonds of friendship were the strongest and most lasting.

“So. The Cobble Block continues to make more friends than enemies. Good. Even better is the fact that she is apparently teaching the Heir how to make friends and not just alliances.”

Kassia glanced at the Rhoni and Minstrel when they returned with the meat pie. They were spared further scrutiny, however, by the arrival of a young Korie lord and a couple of Mice.

The look she gave Dominic Dominie Korie might have been called predatory by some. Perhaps not by actual predators, of course, but it was a look that sent nearly every Temple Dayalan scurrying out of her way. It was an expression that caused the High Priestess to grit her teeth with annoyance, the Khorall of Allaine to hold her head in the palm of one hand with exasperation, the Heir of Allaine to groan at the potential disturbance of the Patterns. That said, she seemed to enjoy the treatment the Pest was receiving from his Lady.

Any reply she might have given Dommi was momentarily delayed by Broke’s interruption.

First, Starlord Priestess Kassia blinked. Then a smile born of experience, calculations and consequences threatened to rival the one she gave Dominic.

“Cuff the High Priestess?”

She turned and addressed Emerald.

“I believe you’ve met all the Wild Dayalans, ja? If you could inform all of us when Broke leaves to present herself at the Temple, I’m sure you’d have at the very least five non-leaky buckets of gratitude when we all gather to witness such an event.

“Poppy’s apprentice and the Cobble Block’s apprentice have yet to meet our High Priestess, so I suspect their buckets of gratitude would be of the leaky sort,” she said as an aside to Broke. “Although, if I understand the nonsense I’ve been told about that one, you’ll have some competition. Apparently, she’s intent on poking everyone and everything with that spear of hers. It’s unclear whether someone or something needs to actively annoy her. I doubt that the Cobble Block would object to you cuffing the youngster as well.”

The Dayalan barely glanced at Dommi as she waved a hand in his direction.

“Your constant protestations of innocence likely amuse your Lady, but the rest of us are quite bored by them. Surely, you’re smart enough to know that had anything transpired that was not innocent, the consequences would have been rather unpleasant.

“In more ways than most people could comprehend.

“And not just for you.”

But then she did look at him, having taken on the persona of Grumpy Old Woman once more.

“I’m serious, Dominic. I don’t mind that you call me an old witch, but your tales of visiting the Heir interest me as much the stories of your very tiny village seem to interest your heart-mate. Some new tales would be appreciated.”

She looked around at the group that had gathered and nodded.

“Good. Now, child,” she said, looking at the bearer of the Meat Pie In a Basket, “let’s see about this meat pie of which you have spoken so highly.”

"Everything is bad except unicorns." -- Phoebe
Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Keiko
[pronounced KAY-ko... do you think the GM has memorized this yet? Nope, not yet...]

Keiko regarded her friend for a long moment before smiling brightly. “Friend Lyric, for one who is not a Rhoni, you have a very Rhoni attitude about life! If you had not made it clear that you are from a small, isolated village... why, I would think you might be one of the Lost Rhoni like Cesare is!”

As they approached Broke and the Dayalan, Keiko could see that the two of them were having a serious conversation, one she was loathed to interrupt. However, Dommi and Em and Tomomi arrived from the other direction at nearly the same time.

Dommi’s reaction to the old woman was... was...

Keiko blinked.

Was he actually afraid of the old woman, or was he just pretending to be frightened? If he was acting, then he was every bit as good an actor as Uncle Toshi. And if his fear was real — despite the dissembling regarding Emerald and what looked like an admonishment from Lady Arylis — then maybe a young Rhoni should be even more afraid.

She didn’t have time to think much about the problem before Broke herself interrupted to question the Verchovai. Keiko was almost certain that the Guardian was joking about eating a High Priestess. It wasn’t that Broke wouldn’t kill someone and possibly even eat them if she was hungry enough. It was the fact that Broke wouldn’t kill anyone unless she felt that person was a threat to her people. So, yes. That part had been a joke.

And she’d seen the way Broke cuffed Wrath. Could a human person walk away from a blow like that? Perhaps a High Priestess under the protection of a Goddess could. But Keiko suspected that maybe — just maybe — Broke was joking about that, too.

Except the old woman wasn’t!

In fact, the old woman seemed so serious about it that she wanted all the Dayalans to witness it!

It had been a long time since Keiko had been as confused as she was right now.

The old woman’s chastisement of Dommi didn’t help to lessen her confusion, either. True, the young Tone-Deaf Lord did have a fondness for talking about his very small village, and the Rhoni could envision a day when that story became stale enough to be uninteresting. Maybe what he needed were some pointers on telling a good story. Or perhaps he liked it when Emmi elbowed him in the ribs? It didn’t sound like the kind of courting behavior she’d enjoy, but Dommi was Dommi was Dommi... and Emmi was Emmi was Emmi... so... maybe it was just the sort of courting they both enjoyed.

And he tormented the Dayalan by visiting Dawnview Vale? The Heir herself? That was... Keiko blinked. That was interesting! It was a rumor she hadn’t heard! The Heir of Allaine... friends with the youngest Korie lord... Oh, that was something that would surely add to the general dislike Dommi’s father was said to have for him — assuming the Khorall of Korie knew about their friendship. She was learning more about Kisa Allaine by knowing who the people were in her orbit... and that had been the only way to learn about the Heir. Although Rhoni caravans and individual wanderers regularly visited the Vale, the Heir was an extremely private person.

Keiko just shook her head, but then froze when the old woman’s attention fell on her once more.

“I... well, it’s a large one, Dama, and still quite warm to eat with one’s fingers,” implying that the belt knife that every adult carried would be needed in this instance.

She removed the cloth that covered the basket and tucked it under her belt before holding the basket out to the old woman with both hands. Her eyes sought out Dommi, however.

“I didn’t mean for Missus Heatherson to give us her dinner, I promise, Dommi! She’s said before, on other Marketdays, that there were no more pies. I don’t know why she wouldn’t have said so today. But she offered, and I couldn’t say no, could I? That would have been just as rude, especially when she gave us the most gracious reason possible for sharing.”

It was fairly obvious that Keiko was distressed by having denied the Heatherson family their meal of a meat pie, even if it was the goodwife’s own decision. Missus Heatherson’s stew was probably every bit as good as her pies, but still... after the debacle when Dama Kadri and Mikal had swept into town, the Rhoni was worried that she had misjudged the protocols of hospitality. Her eyes betrayed her youth as they seemed to plead with their Young Master for understanding.

Bekkah

She accepted Cesare's arm with a smile.

"Yes, let's."

They made their way back to where the others were sharing a meat pie. The delicious smell made it easy to find them.

She noticed the elderly woman and the recognition was instantaneous.

She gave the woman a slight bow of her head.

"Verchovai Kassia, what a pleasure to see you. A surprise indeed. What has brought you this far from Dawnview Castle? I hope you have have not come all this way looking for my sister."

Last edited by Nivek; Fri 05/01/18 17:30 UTC.
Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
[OOC: They're all outdoors on the stairs leading up to the Millers' home and tower -- first Keiko, Lyric, and Tomomi; then Broke and Kassia; then Dommi and Em. If you want to use a title, you can use "Verchovai."]

Lyric, hoping for the 'seen and not heard' treatment

The Minstrel smiled with a sense of serenity about her person, and then broke the moment with a wink. "Maybe somewhere and somewhen our people's paths might have crossed..."

And then she looked past the Rhoni card reader, to the ground, spotting a few more flowers and she moved agilely to squat before them. Her entire attention was focused on them now, and a smile broadened on her face.

She would follow her friend soon enough and rejoin the gathering on the stairs but she was content to the stand in the background as she worked at weaving a dozen or more of the late season flowers she had gathered into a new circlet.

Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
Dominic Dominie Korie and Miss Emerald Mouse

"My Dominic's Village is the village I always wanted to come from ..."

From beneath the enveloping folds of Dominic's cloak came quiet words. They were Miss Emerald's quiet tones, both light and serious and filled with something just a little more. It was obvious that the feelings between them were not one-sided, not one sided at all.

"When I first learned of that strange little place my home was a dark square of stone, because I was only allowed to see what They wanted me to see. My Home was a cold place with no windows; it wasn't a place - as I was later to learn - to live, it was a shelf to keep a tool safe between that tool being used."

While the words were directed to the grumpy and stern Dayalan, and while they were strong they were also soft and gentle.

"They had put him in a place like mine; they must have known. They had taken his cloak and they had made sure that there was just darkness, without light and thus no shadows. What they didn't realize that there were some fissures in the rock, slim enough to carry sound. They allowed us to speak.

"I never heard a woe is me or a how can I be saved.

"I heard about a place of wonder. One that was absolutely ridiculous, could not be true, and yet filled with people who - despite their oddness and contrary ways - all cared for each other. They had nothing. But they shared everything. One breakfast roll. One holiday for all the year. Names. It was better than a potato in my soup.

"For the first time in my life, I smiled.

"But it was more than that.

"For the first time in my life, there was someone who, for no reason at all - save that I was me - just wanted me to laugh."

The little mouse was quiet for a long set of heartbeats.

"That's the only reason why he tells them, you know.

Emmi held her breath, a soft pause, before continuing.

"I will never ever get tired of listening to Dominic's stories of his little village."

Emerald was still for a handful of moments more. Dominic simply shrugged his shoulders. He opened his mouth as if to say something and then just shook his head and smiled. No need to say anything else. Until Emerald spoke again, in a simple, sing-song manner, as if one was listing off items to be bought at the next market.

"As for the Heiress. It wasn't a matter of what he said or to whom. It was ...

"A matter of where."

Dominic blinked. Emerald smiled; it was her mischevious smile. Dominic immediately reentered the conversation.

"Yikes! And now it's time to address other matters, most important matters, of the right here and now, ja? Da? Yah? Fi'laa! Yes? Hoi! Tiam!

"Fair Keiko!

"Far worse, far, far worse, would it have been to incur that goodwife's wrath; rest assured, you did the absolute best thing. True, she offered up her dinner for sure. But in doing so it also answers that unspoken question of why ..."

Dominic smiled.

"Why I like coming from a small village and not the biggest Keep."

Wizop
Administrator
Online Content
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

So the woman, Bekkah knows her. And Daxia too. Many snippets of past conversations return to his head.

**Then this woman was Daxia's mentor?**

He couldn't think of a better word but he remembers that Daxia had respect for her.. and that was enough that he did too. But this is not a conversation that demands his participation and so he stays quiet.

As he listens to Emmi and then Dominic though, he smiles. A nice story and a reminder of what they had achieved for all the other creatures locked away in that dark place underground. He cannot imagine a much worse fate. Not to see the sun again, to feel a breeze ruffle his hair, to bathe in the sharp cold of a small river, to go where he wishes, to associate freely with those he wishes. Freedom is a lot more than a word.. and worth more than any precious stones.

Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Keiko
[pronounced KAY-ko... do you think the GM has memorized this yet? Nope, not yet...]

The Rhoni visibly relaxed and smiled at Emmi’s story, her obvious teasing of Dommi, and finally his response.

“Well, m’lord, I think the stories of your little village — as outrageous as they are — are only slightly more inventive than the reality of the Caravans.” She grinned at him.

Nodding a welcome to Bekkah and Cesare, she looked back over her shoulder at Lyric, who was once more weaving flowers into crowns.

Yes, maybe her friend was right — perhaps once upon a time, long ago, a Caravan of Rhoni might have met some of the people from her little corner of the world that she called Kethy’s Wood. Anything was possible, she supposed.

Keiko looked at the Dayalan when Bekkah spoke to her, but the old woman was gazing quite sternly at Dommi again. She was grateful that learning the Dances had ensured that she had the strength and agility to hold a family-sized meat pie for this long. However, she wasn’t going to be able to hold the basket up forever. Still, it wasn’t her place to command her elders nor was it in her nature to complain. This was just another moment, another opportunity for learning.

Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity

“Young Bekkah,” Kassia said, inclining her head slightly. “My business here is my Lady’s, something I’m sure you can now understand.” One corner of her mouth quirked up slightly. “I’m told the Cobble Block is delivering both your apprentice and her own to your hospice in Talantal.

“Your hospice, Lady Yurisdotter, not the Korie’s hospice. So, no... I have not come to seek her out. Not yet, anyway. She may need another year or two before the sight of me ceases to frighten her into senselessness.”

She regarded Bekkah for a long moment.

“Quite clever, that business with the hospice. I suspect that between you and your sister, the Allaine Heir has been surprised more often since leaving the Vale for this year’s Council than she has in the entirety of her life.” She glanced around at the Atteran’s companions before holding Bekkah’s gaze for a moment. “Thank you,” she added in impeccably accented Imperial. “It has been good for her.”

And then she looked at Dominic and Emerald, listening to the entirety of the Mouse’s tale.

“I once saw his little village, Lady Emerald. I was a child and it seemed to glitter with all the gold in the realm. I have spent most of my life in the shadows of the Black and Dawnview Mountains, serving a Goddess and advising a family despised by most of the people in his small village. You’ll forgive an old woman, I hope, who is merely weary of the boy’s incessant nattering.

“However, you express your enjoyment of his stories quite well. You add clarity to whatever nonsensical notions are rattling around in the lad’s head at any given moment. Fortunately for most people concerned, once the Heir takes up the mantle of Khorall, the problem of the Pest shall be turned over her Knight and the Koromov.”

The Dayalan raised a single eyebrow at the Mouse’s last comment and stared at Dommi while he answered Keiko.

“You’re too clever for your own good, Dominic. I assume that was the screech heard all through the Castle and as far away as the Temple. And I trust you have since learned the Heir’s routine.”

Finally, she turned to the Rhoni and the meat pie, and pulled the small all-purpose knife from its sheath on her belt. However, rather than cut into the pie, she gestured for the girl to set it down on the wide stone step and took a seat.

“Sit, sit... all of you. The Miller appears to be done with most of his business for the day. While not as wide as the steps of the Temple, as long as we do not impede the sparse traffic this late in the day, this is a charming place to converse.

“Bekkah, come, sit here,” she said, pointing to the step beside her. “I’d like a human’s point of view regarding some of the more outrageous things Sunfire claims your sister has done.”

Finally, she cut off a bit of the pie’s crust, stabbed a piece of meat, a small carrot, and a piece of potato. She ate the small amount of pie slowly, then nodded just as slowly when she was finished.

“You may inform your Missus Heatherson that her meat pie is, indeed, one of the finest I have found on the mainland, Card Reader.”

Before beginning her conversation with Bekkah, however, she looked at Lyric — almost as though she was looking into the Minstrel’s soul.

“And do stop trying to hide, Music Weaver. You have been claimed as kin by Furball,” Kassia said, gesturing to Broke. “Therefore, you have nothing to fear from me.

“So,” she said, turning to Bekkah, “your exploits have become the things of legend. While unsurprising to any of us who saw your potential when you and your sister came to the Temple, I suppose you find the fuss beyond ridiculous, da?”

Lyric

The Minstrel did not fear the Old Woman. Perhaps maybe she should have feared her, but the Old Woman had not given her reason to fear her yet. Why fear something unknown?

Lyric knew fear, all too well, and she knew what it was to feel it. The scars she still bore on her body, concealed by the layers of her dress, were a stark reminder to her how close she came to a final breath.

She knew what it was to be hunted, to be prey, to be run to ground over days and days. When pain, exhaustion, and dehyration combined to weaken a body, the mind becomes vulnerable. Fear then takes up the hunt as well.

So no, she did not fear the Old Woman, but it was reasonable for someone to interpret her behavior as such. Lyric would not dispel this notion either. She offered a shy smile in lieu of a verbal response.

Bekkah

She had to smile at the 'Young Bekkah' title. None other called her that. It seemed the opposite was more likely.

"Well yes, the idea was more Romana's and well yes, it was enjoyable to push back against those who considered the poor beneath their attentions. The girl has a very good heart and the people took to her immediately, despite her origins. I think a couple of other apprentices have had their eyes opened a bit wider into what our Lady truly wants from them."

She moved and sat by Kassia and rolled her eyes at the last comment.

"Indeed. I had little to do with it. My Lady decided the forest folk were more than worthy, I simply asked on their behalf, nothing more."

Last edited by Nivek; Sun 07/01/18 12:19 UTC.
Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity

Kassia chuckled. “This is something we understand — those of us who come to truly know our Deities — that we are merely the vehicles through which they show themselves in the World.”

The Starlord looked across the field toward the Forest, studying it pensively. “The underlying curse on the Forest allowed a power-hungry Imperial to create even more chaos. What you did here had the best possible outcome that could be expected at this time.”

Kassia looked back at Bekkah with a raised eyebrow.

“We both know it would be your sister’s instinct to restore the Forest to its proper state,” she said. “If she hasn’t already realized it is healing among the Coveners themselves that first needs to be achieved, then she is still enough of a cobble block to have tried — despite claims to the contrary by that Unicorn of hers.

“I don’t doubt Kisa’s stated motives for traveling to the Larsen’s domain, but I also know Kisa rarely has but a single reason for anything she does. Her instinct is to guide her Knight in ways that will best suit her Patterns. I am not always confident that her impulse leads to real balance.

“Which circles us back to the matter of your hospice. The relationship between Allaine and Korie has shifted, causing ripples among the other Noble Families. I hope you’re paying attention over there, Pest,” she said as an aside, not bothering to look at Dommi before continuing her comments to Bekkah. “Within Talantal itself, you have picked out a thread from the tapestry of the Imperial court, and that might lead to real change there. We can pray that it will be so. Perhaps it will lead to a village for young Dominic where they need not share a single name or have but a single holiday. He might find that a village sharing three or four names and two holidays rather enjoyable.

“If I might make a suggestion...”

Kassia regarded the two Rhoni and the Minstrel intently before nodding and meeting Bekkah’s gaze.

“It might be wise for you, young Bekkah, to avoid Talantal for a few seasons. Allow your apprentice to become settled in her role. Lady Anastasia’s... reputation has spread farther than even your own. And miracles tend to follow in your wake.” Kassia leaned over and patted Bekkah’s hand. “There is nothing more you can do now for the Noble Family Korie.

“Your sister has a quest to visit the relatives I neglected to tell you about when you lived in the Vale. I think you might benefit from knowing them.” She leaned back and folded her hands in her lap. “I will apologize to you for having kept them a secret, but it was important that Daxia learn the lessons she found outside the Vale before she could appreciate the knowledge they can share.”

There was another hint of a smile from the elder priestess.

“For all that everyone remarks on your sister’s resemblance to your mother, you do share her heart. Tasha will see something of Yuri in each of you.”

Bekkah

She knew from when she was young, that one could learn much by listening without interrupting, so she let Kassia say what she had to say.

When she was done, she raised an eyebrow questioningly.

"Relatives? Who and where?"

Last edited by Nivek; Tue 09/01/18 18:03 UTC.
Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity

The look Kassia gave Bekkah was one Daxia would have recognized all too well — someone, somewhere had done something utterly unacceptable to the priestess, and she was not the least bit happy about it.

“There is a certain unicorn lurking out of sight and earshot who had better hope that he is not the source of this misinformation,” she grumbled. “There are far more of them than the Temple Dayalans believe, and I suspect their favorite pastime is gossiping among themselves.

“I was informed that Kisa told Daxia about Tasha Starwatcher and her granddaughter Akane Starwatcher. I was assured that Daxia was overheard telling you about them. I was led to believe that the Cobble Block is planning a visit to them after seeing that the Heir is returned home safely.”

She snorted. “Well, it wouldn’t be the first time those gossip mongers were wrong.

“Tasha Starwatcher is your grandmother. She had two daughters — Yuri, your mother, and Mila, your aunt. Given what I know of the woman’s reputation, I don’t doubt she had high expectations for her daughters.” Kassia shrugged slightly. “Your grandfather Rolf reportedly died in a hunting accident when the girls were young. Living up in the Highbeck Jambles... well, jambles are rugged places, and even the simple things can be dangerous.

“Yuri ran off with a Darksteel swordmaker, your father Eelia, and eventually settled along the southern shore of Sapphire Lake.

“Mila went to a Midsummer Festival at Glacier Keep. Perhaps only Tasha was surprised when Akane was born the follow Poet.”

Kassia regarded Bekkah for several long heartbeats. “Mila barely lived long enough to see her daughter and whisper her name. It was not long after that word would have reached Tasha that Yuri had died, leaving her two young daughters in the Temple’s care.” She sighed so softly that it was a sound barely heard. “Perhaps that explains why she became even more of a hermit.”

The older woman seemed to look through Bekkah for a moment before shrugging.

“Akane’s childhood would have been no easier than your sister’s, for Tasha is as stern a teacher as I am. And it was no doubt lonelier. I am aware that Daxia relied heavily on my sister Gilly. Tasha rarely allowed visiting Starriders to stay more than a week. Once Tasha saw in her granddaughter the same potential I saw in your sister, the same potential Catherine saw in you — in Akane’s case, to be the finest Starwatcher in generations...”

This time, Kassia shook her head.

“I suspect some of your Lady’s Compassion would do both of them a world of good. Oh, your grandmother will be pleased by your accomplishments — both yours and the Cobble Block’s. But I think seeing the sort of women you’ve become will give her heart some peace.”

She glanced slyly at Bekkah’s friends, adding as she looked directly at Cesare, “A Minstrel and a Card Reader would not be unwelcome guests. But you might find yourself tossed off a glacier if you were caught looking at your friends’ cousin, lad. The elder Starwatcher has no fondness for Rhoni men, I’m afraid,” the Dayalan said with what might have been an apologetic half-smile.

Wizop
Administrator
Online Content
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

"Wouldn't be the first time I've been somewhere I wasn't welcome."

He shrugs eloquently in a c'est la vie sort of gesture, then inclines his head respectfully.

"But forewarned is forearmed as they say.."

He smiles.

Lyric, how many questions can one girl have...

Bekkah and the Old Woman spoke. Actually, the old woman did most of the speaking. Cesare even said a little in response to an admonition she offered him. Lyric realized that she felt a little defensive of her Rhoni friend and, despite him brushing off the words in good humor, Lyric knew in her heart that he would not be the only one getting thrown off that glacier, whatever a glacier was, should such a thing transpire in the first place.

In the periods where the Old Woman spoke, Lyric leaned a little closer to Keiko to whisper into her ear from just over her shoulder.

"I am having a hard time following this... so many names. Will you explain all of this to me later?"

...and she then realized she had another question as the Old woman addressed Cesare. She leaned in again, "What's a glay-shur?"

Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Keiko

She had been oddly relieved that the stern Dayalan found Missus Heatherson’s meat pie beyond merely acceptable. Keiko had traveled more widely than most people ever did — and on both sides of Kh’Lhy’Ra Pass, too! That someone from Dawnview Vale praised it meant that they’d be traveling where meat pies were not as good... but perhaps there were other culinary wonders she had never found on her journeys.

She tried to follow the conversation between Lady Bekkah and the old woman, but other than the talk about family, the only thing that really made much sense was that... maybe they shouldn’t travel through Talantal? After making sure Tomomi had a piece of carrot, the Rhoni’s brows furrowed as she nibbled on a bit of meat. That meant the overland route along the Flowered Path. Except Dommi had made it sound like that might not be the best route.

Keiko was so confused!

But she did look over her shoulder to smile at Lyric. “I will explain as much as I understand. Of course!”

She hoped that mulling things over for a little while would help it all settle into place. At the moment, it felt like things were just at the edge of her understanding. She did understand the woman’s warning to Cesare. However... it seemed like Lady Bekkah’s grandmother would more likely be antagonistic of Rhoni men who were quite a bit older than Cesare. Oh. Well, perhaps she feared the granddaughter was much like the daughter she lost? It seemed a little silly, but very often the Gaija had the oddest opinions about the Rhoni. Ah, well. Let the sleeping shaggy sleep, as Grandmother always liked to say.

As they sat on the stone steps, She was coming closer to the end of Her journey on this Marketday. Lyric’s last question brought much of the joy back to Keiko’s heart as she chuckled.

“I’ve never seen one, but Uncle Toshi has described them to all of us. He has been to the Highgaard Reaches and saw their jambles and their glaciers.” Keiko looked over at Dommi, then up at the tower. “I think our friend Dommi has seen actual glaciers, though. Perhaps he will tell us about them, as truthfully as he knows how.”

She sprang up and held a hand out to Lyric. “Come watch Her setting with me from the top of the tower. Mikkie won’t mind. He likes company, even if he’s all quiet and pretends to be sleeping up there.” She grinned and looked at her companions. “You’re all welcome, of course. Dommi, tell us about glaciers!” Then she giggled. “I’m going to be comparing your story to Uncle Toshi’s, you know.”

Keiko waited to see if Lady Bekkah and Cesare would also join them. She knew Broke rarely went farther up the stairs than the mill and that it was coming close to the time she and the rest of the Forest Folk returned to their little Home. She couldn’t be sure but suspected that the Verchovai was more interested in talking with Broke than the rest of them. Still... there was plenty of room for all of them at the top of the tower, even if it did mean Mikkie might have to stand up to make a little more room.

Lyric

The Minstrel accepted the hand, with as much enthusiasm as she would have if this simple trip to the top of the nearby tower were the grandest of adventures to gather flowers and apples. To understand this comparison of points, one needed to understand Lyric herself. Lyric was Lyric was Lyric. Be it apples and flowers, or venturing deep into the dark, dangerous and foreboding expanse of forest wilderness to execute a plan of her own crafting knowing she would bear the weight of consequences, or even a short climb to watch the sun set from atop of a stone tower, Lyric's sense of self never wavered, although the way she interacted with the world around might offer an appearance suggesting otherwise.

Her eyes were alight with mirth and mischief at the very thought that she might do something, anything, other than listen to the old woman drone on and on about places and people whose names meant nothing as of yet to her. Of course her personal thoughts were her own, and probably worth very little currency in a broader scope of the greater, wider world called the Heartwood and those lands that might touch upon it. And so, these thoughts would remain private, veiled in the 'lace and leather' that were the swirling layers of Lyric's psyche.

And, in that quiet voice, whilst holding Keiko's hand she quipped, "If he tells us that his glay-shur was so small that everyone he grew up with had to share one thing or another, well then, I think I might plunk him with an apple core." And to that she laughed. It was true she amused herself with her own words all too often. On the other hand, she also knew she was easily amused.

Wizop
Administrator
Online Content
Wizop
Administrator
Cesare

Well he and Bekkah had come up the steps to talk to Keiko and Lyric and it seems they must move again in order to do so.

"We'll join you if we may? Things to talk about."

He nods respectfully to the old woman before turning to Bekkah.

"Coming?"

Then he follows the two girls.

Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity
Keiko

Knowing that Tomomi’s method of travel was quite a bit different than hers, Keiko smiled and waved her Forever Friend toward the tower. Whether she ventured up to the top of the tower or waited at the base would be Tomomi’s own decision. Then Keiko leaned closer to Lyric and, assuming that Dommi would hear her, replied, “Oh, he knows that I know that glaciers are very large. They’re much bigger than his tiny village, in fact. So I think you should save the apple cores for all the many horses of Lady Bekkah and Cesare.”

She, too, laughed. “But if our Tone Deaf Lord decides to exaggerate in the wrong direction, perhaps we should work together to weave him a lovely crown of flowers and ribbons. Something that matches the pretty colors Emmi is collecting on her tunics, ja?”

Wolf Offline OP
OP Offline
The Heartwood
The Dirkwood Forest
Waverider’s Watch
Marketday, the Ninth Day of Yrick

Bekkah, Lyric, Cesare, Keiko … Tomomi, Broke and a Grumpy Old Woman.

The Guardian held up one gauntleted hand upon the offer of a piece of their collective dinner.

"Nin danks ..."

Broke seemed quite content in listening to the conversation wheel around the small group - listening carefully as the Dayalan picked on her best friend Fox. Her gaze did stray. She watched over the closing of the market, she kept a wary eye at the Marrennen camp across the bridge. Though as the others sat down for their meal she did offer a nod to the west. For Kassia, it may have seemed like a simple offer of respect for Her as she descended towards the edge of the sea. Those who had been out beyond the Stonewall - and perhaps the one companion not on the stairs - however, suspected differently.

That it may have been a subtle sign that it was fine for a certain pack member to stand down.

"Save me a piece."

That was Broke's very sure and firm command concerning dinner. When Kassia looked back, at that rejection of offered hospitality, from deep inside that one particular travel cloak came an equally sure and snorted chuckle. It was followed by the explanation that anyone who had dined at Home could certainly appreciate.

"Meat pies ... or any pies ...

"Most folks find it right uncomfortable watching us Guardians chow down. We tend to get quite enthusiastic ... and we are a practical sort. Table manners are something we have never quite excelled at."

It was another hint, or the Grumpy Old Woman, that her newest student was more unique than she had previously considered.

"That ..."

Broke rested her shoulder against the rock next to her; the vertical rise that was the inside face of the switchback stairs.

"... and We are at work."

The second reason, no matter how experienced or unflappable Kassia might be, was the proper answer. Duty always came first and that was something the tall wuffess always took very seriously. On the less serious side of the conversation, Dominic was also very glad that the conversation had decided to wander elsewhere. Thus he rested behind Miss Emerald, his chin nooked comfortably on her shoulder. It must have been a match made in the heavens, for the small fox and the small mouse was a perfect fit for each other. That her ears were a bit pink and his black cloak kept them perfectly properly covered betrayed that while the young lord may have given up his philandering he had forgotten nothing.

Until the conversation drifted towards the tower. That brought the Korie's head up and a bemused glance towards the little stone structure atop Waverider's Watch. His nose twitched - kind of like something he had picked up from Emerald - and then he frowned a bit and last he whispered in Emerald's ear. What followed next was a most interesting set of events.

First, with an almost imperious air, Dominic straightened, stepped back from Miss Mouse and dusted his hands together. He made a very official proclamation.

"Ahem. I must now collect my due taxes from the Miller family. Mills are very serious business, as anyone who manages any estate, large or small, is certainly aware."

With that he strode officiously back up the stairs, disappearing into the small structure that was set quite comfortably next to the mill pond. A few breaths later Emmi took off, at a fast run, up the stairs, across the top, and into the little tower. A long set of heartbeats a rather flustered fellow, holding a sheaf of parchment close to his side, rushed out, down the path, down the stairs and passed the small knot of folks on the landing.

"Excuse me! Excuse me! I have heard the Young Lord is in the village! I must, I must present him with these letters and treatises before he vanishes! He is far too good at vanishing, you know! meat pie? oh! He's probably at the Heathersons!"

Moving as fast as he could - without being reckless - the odd man-at-arms continued on his way. Interestingly, the Heathersons were the most eastern of the homes in the village. Which also made it the most far away.

After he had turned around the big stone and was out of sight did Dominic reappear. His tax, it seems, was a small basket covered with a gingham cloth. Bouncing a few steps down, just enough to be heard, he asked.

"It it safe?

"He's gone, right?

"Now we can go to the tower!"

With a nod her followed in Emmi's footsteps, leading them along the top of the rock to the Korie's smallest holdfast. And yes, it was, very truly and actually, the smallest watch keep across all of Grand Talantal's manors. As for Tomomi, she looked up to Keiko and simply settled in beside her Forever Friend.

"Sometimes walkin' is just nice too."

Last edited by Wolf; Sun 14/01/18 15:27 UTC.
Bekkah With Kassia not on the tower yet

"Don't blame the unicorns. I've probably just forgotten what I've heard."

Her words made her think of Finn and she found it curious that her mother had run off with a Darksteel swordmaker.

*Like mother, like daughter.* she thought hiding a smile.

"Well, I would dearly like to see my grandmother. And my sister. I was apart from her for so many years, then we got to travel together and she was gone. We don't seem to be the sedentary types do we?" she said thinking that she might truly enjoy that one day.

Kel Offline
Sower of Insanity
Sower of Insanity

She watched as the others left for the top of the tower, her eyes lingering on Dominic for a moment. She would venture up to the top of the rock before first light to greet her Lady. She usually left for others the enjoyment of saying goodnight to Her.

Then Kassia looked up at Broke as she gestured to the remainder of the meat pie. “Go along with you, Furball, and take the leftover pie. I see your people gathering themselves and you, no doubt, have duties that call you. I’ll give you two tasks before you return in the morning — share the pie with at least one of your folk who has never had the pleasure, and give our Lady a proper greeting as She rises over the world.”

As any of Kassia’s former students would have been happy to tell the Wuff, Verchovai Kassia seemed to delight in doling out odd assignments and leaving the student to find meaning in them. At least Broke would be spared the lessons inherent in watching a Noble Heir observe her mother’s court year after year. However, there was no guarantee that buckets would not be used in her lessons.

She shooed the Guardian off as she settled herself more comfortably on the stone step. “Go on, scram.”

It was hard to tell in the lengthening shadows, but the elder Dayalan might have been smiling ever so slightly as she watched her newest student head down the stairs. Then she shook her head before turning to Bekkah again.

“You know, your sister was supposed to have been my last student. My Lady’s sense of humor can be quite sharp at times.

“I don’t blame the unicorns. One can’t lay blame for a being’s actions if they are acting according to their nature. That doesn’t mean we don’t become annoyed with them at times. I merely point out that it is their nature to be less than thoroughly accurate about the information they choose to share with us. Now, you?”

At this, Kassia definitely smiled.

“You’re younger than most Atteran priestesses who have gained the level of power you possess. I doubt that your brain is going soft.” One shoulder shrugged up slightly. “And it has not escaped my attention that Atteran priestesses outside the confines of the lad’s small village have a view of the world that I have not, as yet, had the luxury to understand.”

She looked up, patiently waiting for the first, brightest stars of the night to be visible.

“Yes... you and your sister. I doubt it’s any comfort to you knowing that your many years apart were inevitable. I sensed your potential — both yours and hers — from the moment you arrived at the Temple. Linnell saw the Patterns.”

Kassia didn’t quite sigh.

“The way you looked after her...” She snorted softly. “You came to the realization on your own that you were meant to serve Attera, but I’m sure mine would not have been the only voice in your ear urging you out to Catherine’s hospice if you had foolishly decided to stay in the Vale. You wouldn’t have been happy.”

The old woman’s gaze returned to Bekkah. “Dayalans aren’t meant to be sedentary — not those of us who bear the moniker of Wild Dayalan. When the time is right, you’ll find yourself ready to establish your own hospice. Perhaps a husband and children are also in your future. It wouldn’t be surprising, given your temperament. But you’ll find the tiles turned then, for it will be Daxia who travels the length and breadth of the mainland while you await her next visit.”

She chuckled softly. “Your present concern, of course, is finding your sister. It shouldn’t be difficult — after all, there is only one sensible route from Talantal to the Vale. If the Heir was not traveling with her, I don’t doubt she’d find some less obvious way to Corliss than the Highland Path and the Highgaard Road.”

The Dayalan’s eyes held both laughter and mischief.

“You have before you, young Bekkah, a most intriguing puzzle. As a Lady of Attera, it is incumbent on you to travel where your Lady believes your skills will be most beneficial. That could well be helping to heal your grandmother’s heart.

“Or your Lady could lead you on some merry adventure to anywhere your two feet can take you.

“But let us assume, just for a moment, that your task is to give Tasha Starwatcher the peace she has not known since before even I was born. That is certainly in keeping with Lady Attera’s nature and is a blessing you are uniquely suited to bestow.” Kassia tilted her head slightly as she regarded the younger priestess. “Well, it would mean you and Daxia have the same destination, would it not? The only question is where on the road from here to Glacier Keep your paths will converge.”

Kassia pointed her chin toward the tower, then nodded to Bekkah.

“You have two Rhoni and a waif who is both naive and wise. I’m afraid you’ll need to be the taskmaster here, gather the children, and prod them along. The Card Reader, in particular, seems comfortable enough here to tarry until after the Midwinter Festival before doing what Rhoni do best.”

She leaned over and patted Bekkah’s knee before straightening and brushing a bit of dirt and some crumbs off her tunics.

“It’s good practice for you, dear... this mothering bit. From what I overheard at the markets during my many years in the Vale, looking after a husband is considerably more work than children, younger sisters, and ruff pups combined.

“Besides, I’d really like the lot of you out of my way while I’m training the Furball.”

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Wolf 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Talon475, Randal Trimmer, Kimf, Yvon, Xiang Chin
177 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Member Spotlight
Forum Statistics
Forums103
Topics2,814
Posts139,430
Members177
Most Online296
Jan 19th, 2020
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
†Restricted forums can only be accessed by DreamLyrics members of the age of 18 years or older. Access which is granted by the Behind Closed Doors Procedure.
™DreamLyrics Play-by-Post. DreamLyrics Play-by-Post does not own copyright on DreamLyrics texts or graphics, except trademarked DreamLyrics logos and logotypes. The works contained in DreamLyrics are copyrighted (automatically, under the Berne Convention) by the original authors and may be available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence. (See Copyrights for details.)
Privacy Policy