Eye of the Dragon
DreamLyrics Play-by-Post
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 36 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Dice Roller
You will need to enable Javascript in order to view the Dice Roller.
Games Recruiting List

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#875086 Sat 11/03/17 03:28 UTC
Chaotic Obfuscator
OP Offline
Chaotic Obfuscator
Jayden can't quite fall asleep, as much as his grandfather spirit tried to be quiet, he chomped his non-existent gums. "We just can't sit here," the spirit finally said. "We need to do something. What? I have no idea. But I will bet your cat knows something."

===========================
Tiger knew that if they went as far as they had gone into the woods originally, it would take time. Did they have time? Every little bit that passed, the veil between became thinner and thinner.

[OOC: So the plan is to ride in the car to the woods, and then get into trouble.]

Jayden

He stood and stretched right and left, grunting as a couple of compressed vertebrae popped into a new position.

"I don't doubt she knows something, Grandpa. But do you know where she is so I can go ask her?"

Chaotic Obfuscator
OP Offline
Chaotic Obfuscator
Granpa considered "I might be able to find her. The real question will be if we can convince her to let you help. I might be signing your death warrant," the last was muttered almost under his breath.

Jayden

"Well, I've got to do something or all this will drive me crazy."

He pulled on a light jacket and headed for the door.

"C'mon... we'll take the car... you point the way."

Chaotic Obfuscator
OP Offline
Chaotic Obfuscator
[OOC: Assume that Tiger will hear the car when it gets near. We will need to give Ex some time to post, but we can start the gathering process.]

Not far from the museum Tiger hears a familiar sound of her burden's conveyance.

Jayden

"Back to the woods?" he asked the spirit of his grandfather as soon as he realized the direction they were taking.

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Dizzy

She looks sideways at Shadow.

"That sounds like my burden."

And then taking up her courage, adds..

"And we need a lift."

AJ Offline
Shadow

He stopped, back arched, and looked at her aghast.

"That one again?", he hissed. "We're about to go into what may be great danger, and will almost certainly deal with things their fragile little minds cannot handle. We were very, very lucky that it did not break the last time, and that we were able to get it back home and safe. Why are you... why do you want to take it with us a second time? Do you really want to see it break that much? What did it do to you that you would seek to be so cruel in return?"

Jayden

"Ahead and to the left?" he questioned the spirit as he maneuvered the car. Then he saw cats up ahead and stopped the car and climbed out.

"Dizzy! Damn you crazy cat! What are you doing way out here?"

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Dizzy

And then she hears him call to her. It does generate a warm feeling inside. Not alone any more.

She looks at Shadow with that helpless 'what can I do?' expression.

"He has a spirit and me to look after him."

She turns towards her burden, taking courage and comfort from his presence. The future will have to look after itself. Then she strolls over, rubbing around his legs, making sure other cats know that he belongs to her.

"You'll have to help me protect him." She says to the spirit. It is not a question.

AJ Offline
Shadow

He faded into his namesake, then tagged along in the darkness, following the younger cat.

"We go into danger. If that burden so much as sees one thing that his mind cannot handle I will personally shred you into nonexistence, spirit. Do not let it be exposed to any risk."

And to Tiger,

"Your burden is yours. But if it breaks, and you need it ended, I am willing to help if it would be too much for you."

Jayden

Jayden squatted beside the small cat, grunting as his left knee popped and then rubbed Dizzy behind the ears.

"How come you ran off with that other cat," he asked.

"Without at least telling me first."

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Dizzy

She accepted her petting as well deserved, which it was, not understanding what he is saying but liking the attention.

"We will all look after him. It will not come to that" she meows to Shadow, knowing the spirit will hear her words too. "But thank you."

Underneath her new confidence, she had been worried that Shadow might refuse to let her burden come. But she knows how stubborn and reckless her burden can be and in many ways feels it is safer to keep him under observation. And she likes the attention..

Chaotic Obfuscator
OP Offline
Chaotic Obfuscator
Grandpa said "she is headed someplace that way," which was remarkably unhelpful for a mostly invisible form. Realizing his mistake he said "up hill, I think they want to go. Seems like either we could drive for a while towards the hills or walk a long ways. Not sure, just guessing, but..." The way grandpa said the last, he wasn't just addressing Jayden, but possibly the cats as well.

Jayden

Scowling and rolling his eyes briefly skyward, Jayden stood, made his way back to the car, calling for his damned cat to follow him. Once at the car, he held open the back door, gesturing for the felines to enter.

"Up hill, you say," he said, proving he had a remarkable grasp of the obvious.

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Dizzy

She stalks towards the car, pauses for the door to be opened and jump in, her regal bearing intact. Settling down on the seat, ready to take a firm grasp of the upholstery if needed, she turns to the Spirit.

"He knows to go to the woods, yes?"

Chaotic Obfuscator
OP Offline
Chaotic Obfuscator
"We do now. More information is better than less," he shook his head.

To Jayden he said "to the woods boy, take the same road you did before."

Jayden

He rolled his eyes as he started the car's engine, then fastened his seat belt and headed off toward the woods, following the same road as he had the last time.

"Is the other cat with us?"

AJ Offline
Shadow

In his two-dimensional form, he was, having tagged along with Tiger's shadow, but there was no way he'd reveal that to the Burden even if he could comprehend the question. Indeed, if the Burden did become aware of Shadow's current appearance, that would be enough to require its death.

Chaotic Obfuscator
OP Offline
Chaotic Obfuscator
"Drive boy," was all the old tired grandpa spirit's voice.

Up the road they went towards where the boy's shoe had been found. Though the body of the boy had not been recovered. Soon the lights of town were left behind and lost in the trees. It was a different world up here, especially at night.

They came to a dirt road that wound further up the mountain or they could continue along the main road. The dirt road lead further up hill, and away from civilization, such as it was out here.

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Dizzy

She raises her head and then puts her front paws on the back of the seat in front of her so she can see why they have slowed. Her instincts tell her that deeper into the wood and up the hill is the right direction. She conveys that to the spirit.

Chaotic Obfuscator
OP Offline
Chaotic Obfuscator
Granpa says "take the dirt road. We are going further into the woods." He didn't sound happy. Though to be fair he hadn't sounded happy since Jayden discovered he could talk with the spirit of his dead grandfather.

Jayden

"Dirt road it is, Gramps," he said and made the turn, heading uphill and deeper into the forest.

"You sound like somebody licked the red off of your candy," he said, coming up with a line from some old western movie.

Chaotic Obfuscator
OP Offline
Chaotic Obfuscator
Grandpa was silent for a bit before responding. "Just don't have a good feeling about this. What can I say?"

They continued up the road and it got smaller and smaller. Soon it was little more than a pair of ruts and grass in between. Eventually they come to a place where a car can pull over, and the can continue on as well. After all they were the only people out here this night, or so it seemed.

Eventually the road petered out into a clearing where it was obvious people came up here to park. There was trash along the edges of the clearing, and marks where vehicles had pulled around, or even sat over night. This was a good spot to hike the more wild trails from, given the number of ways out of this little area.

The car wasn't going to go any further. They would have to hike now.

AJ Offline
Shadow

A quiet aside to Tiger,

"Do not put your Burden in further danger. It is of no use to us where we must go, and will likely see too much if it is with us."

Jayden

"I haven't had a good feeling about a single damned thing since I hooked up with that damn cat," he said, but there was no apparent rancor in his tone.

Jayden stopped the car in the clearing, turned off the engine and got out, opening in turn the back door for the cat.

"Far as the car can make it, Dizzy."

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Dizzy

"Not sure what I can do. Leaving him here on his own who knows what he will get up to. Easier in some ways to keep him in sight. Maybe we could find some small errands he could do?"

She replies to Shadow as they wait for the door to be opened and then she gets out and stretches nose to tail in an elongated stretch.

Last edited by Gypsy; Wed 19/04/17 16:06 UTC.
AJ Offline
Shadow

Passing from the vehicle in her shadow, he replied,

"Do you trust that spirit to kitten-sit it? If we take it with us, it will cripple what we are able to do. The First Rule is paramount, and if we face something powerful enough to need us to act in our own full strength, we would be dooming him whichever way it went. We go into danger, it will be doubly dangerous for us and lethal for it if it is with us."

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Dizzy

She is now more than a little frightened. Already she has lost Miss Amy from her life, she cannot lose another!

"I don't know. i will talk with it."

Out of the car now, she addresses her remarks to the spirit.

"We are going into danger and have concern for your welfare and more so for that of your charge. There may come a point where you must do as we ask, immediately and without question to preserve his life and your existence. Is this understood?"

Chaotic Obfuscator
OP Offline
Chaotic Obfuscator
The spirit said "I am not afraid of you putty tat. I am dead. I didn't go to heaven and I ain't gone to hell. So whatever it is you think you have to do, go for it. As far as the boy. I will do whatever I can to protect him. But he ain't got a clue, and that may or may not mean trouble.

"There is no way I can force him to do anything," the spirit waved his arm through the car. "But I will talk to him should you say to jump, maybe he will say how high." It shrugged.

To Jayden he says "now the danger is real. You got to listen to me, no matter what strange thing I tell you to do. You got that, boy?"

Jayden

Jayden looked back toward the car and the front seat where he visualized his grandfather sitting.

"I'll listen... that's all I can promise right now, but I'll always listen to you."

AJ Offline
Shadow

"Keep it here, Spirit. Keep it here and it can be safe. Keep it in this moving thing, have it wait for our return. If you would truly protect it, this is what must be done."

The shadow considered adding a threat of sharpening his claws on the incorporeal thing, but it deigned not to for the time being.

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Dizzy

She listens to this power play argument, not entirely sure what she wants. She doesn't want to alienate Shadow or the other cats as belonging to this sort of group is a big plus for her. On the other hand, she is really worried that if her burden remains here (or anywhere else) she can't do anything to protect him and something could easily circle around behind them and attack him. And she can't lose him like she lost Miss Amy. She will not go back to that awful place he rescued her from. She owes him!

But what to do for the best? She has no idea!

Chaotic Obfuscator
OP Offline
Chaotic Obfuscator
The trails were the only way out of the clearing. There were four of them, but if they wanted to continue up hill, that reduced it to two choices. As DC considered her options, and Shadow gave a stern look to the spirit, Jayden looked out at the world around him.

Jayden's eyes spotted something that possibly the cats might not. There is a dark spot on the hill several hundred yards away. It isn't that he was looking for it, it was more that he was looking at the green mass of trees, and that one void spot stood out. There was something up on the side of the mountain, and it was darker than the surrounding area.

Jayden

Jayden frowned and pointed at a spot about halfway up the mountain.

"Grandfather, can you see that dark spot? And can you tell what it is?"

Chaotic Obfuscator
OP Offline
Chaotic Obfuscator
The spirit said "that is a dark hole in the Earth. I can feel the darkness from here."

Jayden

He frowned and looked from the car to the dark spot and then in the direction the cat had gone. A thought occurred to him - from where he didn't know.

"Is that where Dizzy is headed?"

Chaotic Obfuscator
OP Offline
Chaotic Obfuscator
The spirit was silent for a bit. "I can't say, for sure. Even if it is, you shouldn't go there." The last sentence was said ever so softly.

Jayden

"Well, what should I do then, damnit!" he snapped.

"I'm tired of being left out of whatever all this weird s*** is."

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Dizzy

She doesn't follow the conversation but does notice that their attention is focused on a particular area.

"Right let's get going" she says to Shadow.

And heads off towards what she thinks must be disturbance.

Chaotic Obfuscator
OP Offline
Chaotic Obfuscator
The spirit said to Dizzy. "I am not sure the boy will want to stay here. What task would you like him to do so that he feels useful? Leaving him just sitting will only add to the trouble you will face."

AJ Offline
Shadow

He tagged along, quite literally shadowing the other cat. He listened closely to her answer to the spirit.

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Dizzy

"Any ideas Shadow? I can go invisible and leave him behind but he will likely blunder into something on his own."

She has paused for now, unsure of what to do.

AJ Offline
Shadow

The two dimensional feline pondered,

"Something that will keep it from blundering off. Is there anything it can do with its moving box thing here? Something that needs done and will take up its time and effort without needing to go anywhere else?"

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Dizzy

The only thing I can think of is that he might stay in the metal thing ready for a quick get away. I've noticed that it only rumbles when he is in it and never goes anywhere without rumbling..."

Her head goes on one side as she considers.

"..but it won't last forever. We would need to be quick. Unless you have a better idea?"

AJ Offline
Shadow

"Get the spirit to make something up to keep it busy and in place? It was a Burden once, it knows what makes them purr. Surely it can come up with something that will keep your burden alive and in position without blundering off into a harmful situation?"

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Dizzy

She looks at the spirit.

"Well you have our suggestions, any ideas of your own?"

They need to be going. Every second they waste could be allowing the enemy to get stronger. The spirit has one last response and then she is off.

Chaotic Obfuscator
OP Offline
Chaotic Obfuscator
The spirit considered. "I got no idea. But I will try and come up with something." He admitted.

To Jayden he said "let us look around here. Maybe we can figure out something that will tell us what the hell is going on."

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Dizzy

She nods to Shadow, slips under the metal contraption and goes invisible.

Slinking out again, she whispers to Shadow.

"Let's go. I'll follow you."

AJ Offline
Shadow

The immaterial patch of darkness flowed out of the moving box, the image of whiskers twitching as it sought out the wrongness.

Jayden

"Look around here?" Jayden took a deep breath, held it a long moment and then expelled it noisily.

"What the hell..."

He looked around, but the cat - both cats - were gone.

"Okay... let's look around," he said with a marked lack of enthusiasm as he began to walk around the car. Pausing, he opened the trunk, took out the lug wrench and resumed his search, moving into the edge of the woods and then making his way around the clearing.

"What are we supposed to be looking for?"

Last edited by Exeter; Mon 01/05/17 23:03 UTC.
Chaotic Obfuscator
OP Offline
Chaotic Obfuscator
The spirit took a moment to respond as if distracted. "I don't know. Mostly I was thinking that if someone came from town to go up there, that they would have to pass through this area and we might learn something without getting in to too much trouble."

[OOC: Jayden can continue here. The two intrepid cats will continue in OAHE: Darker and Deeper. This not to say that we won't have the two threads meet up, it is likely to happen. Just separating for the nonce.]

Jayden

As he made his way slowly through the underbrush around the clearing, Jayden worried about Dizzy.

"Can you uh... sense where Dizzy and the other cat are going and anything about what they are doing?"

Chaotic Obfuscator
OP Offline
Chaotic Obfuscator
The spirit said "no, I am unable to sense them. They have wandered out of view, and that is the limit of my senses. I am not an old ghost by any imagination, even if I was an old man when I died."

Jayden

To Jayden, his grandfather had always seemed older than God and he had a problem thinking of him as a young anything.

"What brought you back here, Gramps? I mean, hell, I don't know what I mean."

Chaotic Obfuscator
OP Offline
Chaotic Obfuscator
"I think I know what you mean. It an existential sense. They say spirits that don't want to move on, have unfinished business, all that rot, is why they stay. I don't know that is the reason I am still here. Maybe I am too dull to find the door?

"What I do know is that it has only been very recently that you could perceive me, and only when you have my old pistol nearby. I don't know if I told you but I was once a card carrying G Man. I wasn't part of those nasty guys who broke up the gangsters and such. No I was more of a book keeping agent. But that gun is from those days. I audited banking transactions and looked for places that criminals hide their money. Well I did then.

"The real kicker is I got shot on the job. That is why I didn't work for them anymore and went on to the career you know me by. I was in a bank doing an audit, pretty much routine, and the darn thing was robbed. The robbers had everyone turn out their pockets. When I turned out mine, they saw my gun. I wasn't going to do nothing. I was going to give it to them. But they didn't take the chance. One of them yelled G MAN and shot me. That is why I had that limp. Didn't do a ton of damage, but it hit the bone and did enough that the government gave me a disability pension."

As Jayden continued to have halfheartedly look around he saw something shiny. Moving over to it, he noticed it was a couple of dimes. Not that big a deal really, but next to it was a pack of gum, and a marble. The items were on top of the grass instead of trampled down under it, or in the earth.

Jayden

"I never knew, Gramps..." Jayden paused and grinned.

"You should've told me. Would've made a lot more interesting bedtime stories than those fairy tales you used to inflict on me."

Then a glittering reflection caught his eye and he bent over to take a close look at what appeared to be two dimes, a pack of Juicy Fruit and a marble.

"How far are we from the place where we found the boy, Gramps?"

Chaotic Obfuscator
OP Offline
Chaotic Obfuscator
"Not far, not very far at all," the ghost pointed and surprisingly enough in the darkness of the tree, they could both make out a little boy sitting against the trunk of a tree crying. Though neither heard him crying, and they could see the tree through the boy.

Jayden

Another spirit... the ghost of the boy?

Jayden scooped up the coins, gum and marble and made a tentative approach to the diaphanous lad.

"Did you drop these?"

Chaotic Obfuscator
OP Offline
Chaotic Obfuscator
The boy looked at him with shiny eyes. He nodded not trusting himself to speak. Holding out his hand palm up, he seemed to indicate he would like his items. Though they could see through the ghostly apparition, so it seemed unlikely that the boy could actually take and hold them items.

Jayden

He squatted in front of the boy spirit, grunting as his left knee popped, then laid the items on the ground in front of the lad.

"Here you go, son. Can you talk to me? Or to my grandfather?"

He pointed back in the direction of his grandfather spirit.

Chaotic Obfuscator
OP Offline
Chaotic Obfuscator
"I guess so. My paw made me promise not to talk to strangers, but that doesn't seem to matter now," he wiped one of his tears. The boy tried to pick up the items at first, then he tried to just touch them. Failing both attempts he just sat and looked the items and at the pair of visitors.

[OOC: Can Jayden hear the boy or just Gramps?]

Chaotic Obfuscator
OP Offline
Chaotic Obfuscator
[OOC: Both can her the boy on this night. :)]

Jayden

Jayden smiled a rather morose smile and nodded in response to the boy.

"Can you tell us what happened to you, son?"

Chaotic Obfuscator
OP Offline
Chaotic Obfuscator
The boy frowned. "Not exactly. I was walking in the woods when I fell down. I thought at first it had been my tripping over something, but I didn't trip. There was something on my back. Then a sharp pain on both sides of my neck, and hot liquid running out. There were weird sounds, sucking, and mewing, and almost like chanting. Then all was dark, till I found myself next to this tree.

"I stayed here because my Mommy told me to stay in one place when your lost. That way you can be found. But I can't touch anything so I am not lost, am I Mister?"

Jayden

"You're not lost as long as you have a friend who knows where you are," he said, his eyes smarting at what he'd heard.

"And I want to be your friend."

Chaotic Obfuscator
OP Offline
Chaotic Obfuscator
The boy looked up at Jayden. Then beyond at the grandfather spirit. "Your like me," he said in a statement.

Grandpa nodded.

"Why?"

"Because it happens boy."

The boy shook his head and looked back at Jayden. "What do I do now? Will you take me to my mommy?"

Jayden

"Not just yet," he said, "but we'll get you home later."

Jayden did not know exactly what to do at the moment.

"Did you see what... attacked you? And what is your name?"

Chaotic Obfuscator
OP Offline
Chaotic Obfuscator
Billy

The boy spirit shakes his head "no I didn't see who it was. My name is Billy," he admitted. At least he wasn't crying as much, though there were still tracks of tears on his ghostly little face.

"Why do I feel pain still?" He touched his chest, not where the wounds that killed him happened which was either side of his neck.

Jayden

"Ah, Billy... my name is Jayden."

He frowned and cocked his head to one side.

"What kind of pain do you feel, Billy? Maybe it is loneliness."

Jayden glanced back toward the spirit of his grandfather.

"Is there anything we can do to ease the boy's pain?"

Chaotic Obfuscator
OP Offline
Chaotic Obfuscator
Billy

"It is a constant pulling like someone is yanking on my heart." He tapped his chest again, basically center mass of his torso to be fair. It wasn't exactly where his heart would be located.

Grandpa

"I think that they are going to try and do that. I am not sure what is happening, but it isn't good. He is being, used."

Jayden

He nodded but didn't really understand... at least not completely.

"What direction does it pull you in, Billy? Is it always the same direction?"

Chaotic Obfuscator
OP Offline
Chaotic Obfuscator
Billy

The little boy pointed up hill in roughly the direction the cats had headed.

Jayden

He nodded, a gloomy expression on his face. That was just what he had expected.

"A friend of mine," he said, surprising himself at the thought which had just occurred to him, "is headed in that direction. Maybe she can do something to help you."

Chaotic Obfuscator
OP Offline
Chaotic Obfuscator
Billy

"I hope so. The pain is not fun." It was probably the silliest way to say something like that, but it felt true coming from the boy spirit.

Jayden

"I'm sure it isn't," he murmured, glancing from the spirit of the boy to the dark spot on the hill and then over to his grandfather. His eyebrows lifted in a questioning expression.

Chaotic Obfuscator
OP Offline
Chaotic Obfuscator
The grandfather spirit frowned at him and shrugged. Jayden noted that both of the spirits seemed even more solid than they had moments before.

As he squatted there a cool breeze started up. It smelled of something vaguely floral.

Jayden

It seemed odd that the spirits shapes seemed to be solidifying.

Jayden grunted sardonically as the thought occurred to him that, by now, he should be surprised at anything that did not seem odd.

"What's that smell?" he asked almost before he realized the floral scent.

"Almost... gardenia like."

He looked all around, especially upwind, to see if there was a visible source for the odor.

Chaotic Obfuscator
OP Offline
Chaotic Obfuscator
As Jayden looked around he noted that both the spirits were also looking around. Did spirits have a sense of smell?

Grandpa said "seems like it is from up hill. But it smells like a field of flowers. Nothing like that really that direction, as far as I can see."

Billy said "smells more like freshly baked cookies to me." He stands wiping tear streaks from his face and looks up hill.

Evidently spirits could smell things, at least at the moment.

Jayden

"Do you have to stay here, Billy, or can you follow me up that hill?" he asked, pointing in the direction upwind from their location.

Chaotic Obfuscator
OP Offline
Chaotic Obfuscator
Billy

"I can follow, but is that a good idea? I feel the pain stronger if I go that way, so something bad is happening up there."

Jayden

"Can you tell or do you have any idea just what uh... badness is happening up there?"

Jayden doubted he could help the boy's spirit much and now he was even more worried about Dizzy.

Chaotic Obfuscator
OP Offline
Chaotic Obfuscator
Billy

The boy just shook his head. It was beyond his ken.

Grandpa
Grandpa said "I am not sure what is up there, but I am sure that your friend went up there to deal with it. We should stay out of their way and let them do what they have to do. I don't want to loose you boy."

Jayden

He glowered in the direction of his translucent grandfather.

"I don't want to lose me either, but I want to do something!"

Chaotic Obfuscator
OP Offline
Chaotic Obfuscator
The grandfather spirit shrugged. "I understand boy. But they protect what they can do quite severely. Should you see something you aren't supposed to, well, it could mean reprisal at the very least. I shouldn't even be telling you that. But I want you to live."

Jayden

He looked from his grandfather to the boy and then back to the spirit of his grandsire.

"Reprisal? Reprisal by who? Whom?"

Jayden shook his head and rolled his eyes.

"This s*** is impossible."

Chaotic Obfuscator
OP Offline
Chaotic Obfuscator
Grandpa

"Exactly, it is impossible. That is what I am trying to say to you, and why we should just do what we are supposed to do. I know nothing galls you boy, but it might save your life."

Jayden

"But it looks to me that we are supposed to do exactly nothing except for occasional chauffeur work," he complained bitterly.

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
[OOC: And feeding, pampering and grooming! grin ]

AJ Offline
[OOC: For that matter, the occasional chauffeur work is a special privilege only granted to the luckiest few. wink ]

[OOC: Somehow, I think Jayden would find those caveats to be less than gratifying. smile ]

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
lol

Chaotic Obfuscator
OP Offline
Chaotic Obfuscator
"I won't disagree with ya boy. I am just trying to keep you alive."

As Jayden considered his options a low keening sound started high up above them. It grew, the warbling cry sounding like it was echoing and getting louder.

Jayden

"Any idea what's making that noise?" he asked the spirit of his grandfather, then turned to the young boy's specter to see if he had anything to say.

Chaotic Obfuscator
OP Offline
Chaotic Obfuscator
The boy shook his head, but even as he did so, Jayden noticed he was more ghost like than he had been before. The boy was fading. He seemed to have noticed and was looking through his own hands. He hadn't said anything but he seemed to be ok with whatever was happening. He wasn't crying anymore.

Jayden

Jayden frowned and shook his head for a long moment and then turned to look at the spirit of his grandfather. After a moment, he spoke quietly.

"I think he will be gone soon. Do you think it is because of something... something the cats did?"

Jayden rolled his eyes. He couldn't believe he'd said that.

Chaotic Obfuscator
OP Offline
Chaotic Obfuscator
Grandpa smiled at him and said "yes, I can feel how things are no longer stagnant. That is a good thing."

Jayden

He turned to look at the spectral boy figure and then up the hill toward the dark spot he'd seen earlier.

"Then what should I try next, Gramps?"

Chaotic Obfuscator
OP Offline
Chaotic Obfuscator
"Tough call, we still have till dawn to deal with whatever might be."

Jayden

"Why until dawn? What happens at sunrise?"

Chaotic Obfuscator
OP Offline
Chaotic Obfuscator
"With the coming of the sun the veil between worlds, your lands and where I am currently, will strengthen again. That will make it more difficult for you to see me, hear me, and even know that I am around." The old ghost's voice sounded almost forlorn at the thoughts he was expressing.

Jayden

"Then I need your advice, Grandfather, before the sunrise," Jayden said urgently.

"What can I do during the daylight hours which will be of help until the darkness - and you - return?"

Chaotic Obfuscator
OP Offline
Chaotic Obfuscator
Grandpa's spirit looked at him and offered him a sad rueful smile. "It doesn't work that way. You can see me now because of what day it is. All Hallow's Eve. You call it Halloween, but it used to be called All Hallow's Eve. It was a pagan holiday at one point in time. The reason it was venerated was because of the thinning of the veil between life and death. You probably have heard of the Day of the Dead, that is the celebration of this same idea.

"When sunrise comes, the veil will begin to thicken. Within a day or so you won't be able to hear me or see me till next year." He seemed to think of something else, but he remained silent, just watching Jayden.

Jayden

His grandfather's revelations were disturbingly, if vaguely, familiar to Jayden. His grandfather had told him some odd stories when he was a youngster, similar to what he was now saying.

It used to scare him as a child... it bothered him even more as an adult.

"What can I do between now and sunrise? And what about the cats? How long have they been able to do the kinds of things I think they are doing?"

Chaotic Obfuscator
OP Offline
Chaotic Obfuscator
The spirit shook his head. "Those are things you aren't meant to know. Let us just say that there is a reason why they were worshiped in ancient cultures, and why almost every human household has at least one. They protect us more than you should know."

Jayden

Jayden glanced over to the fading vision of the boy and then back to his grandfather's spirit, scowling and obviously not sanguine about what he was hearing.

"So... we're just around to shelter them, feed them and empty the litter box while they take care of the heavy lifting?"

Chaotic Obfuscator
OP Offline
Chaotic Obfuscator
The old man's spirit quakes with his merriment. "That is probably the best summation I have ever heard. Just don't let them know that you know. They are overly protective, in case you hadn't guessed."

Jayden

"How the hell could I let them know I know?" he grumbled.

"Do they understand English?"

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Dizzy

She is pleased to be back in the fresh air and out of that tunnel. Looking down the hill she can make out her burden and hopefully the spirit keeping a watch. She is so relieved.

She sets off at a slow run, her tail weaving behind, helping her balance.

Chaotic Obfuscator
OP Offline
Chaotic Obfuscator
Again the old spirit laughed. "Yes they understand many languages, to a certain extent." He suddenly got quiet finishing with "I am sure I shouldn't have told you that though."

AJ Offline
Shadow

As before, he wished to remain unseen by the burden and had the wherewithal to do so. He followed Tiger in the dark.

Jayden

"Of course they do," he muttered in a sardonic tone as he rolled his eyes briefly skyward.

"Why should it surprise me that they are accomplished linguists?"

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Dizzy

She is disappointed that he doesn't see her coming but then burdens are not good in the dark. So she winds herself around his legs so that he knows she is there.

Jayden

Jayden flinched and cursed but, looking down, he realized it was the cat. He squatted on his haunches and scratched lightly behind her ears.

"Well, where the hell have you been, Dizzy?"

He looked around.

"And where's your friend?"

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Dizzy

At the ear scratching, she rubs her head hard against his hand, wanting more. A purring starts to build inside. She leans against him, liking the warmth he emits.

Chaotic Obfuscator
OP Offline
Chaotic Obfuscator
The night is bright with stars and smells fresh out here in the woods. It is as if the night air is clearer than it had been just a little while ago.

Grandpa spirit watches over his grandson Jayden, saying nothing, seemingly content to just be able to watch.

[OOC: What is the plan? There are about eight more hours of darkness.]

[OOC: I didn't think Jayden was capable of making plans in the current scenario. grin ]

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
[OOC Not the remotest of a clue..think we need GM guidance. Characters may have ideas but this player doesn't. wink ]

AJ Offline
[ooc: What remains outstanding to be considered?]

Chaotic Obfuscator
OP Offline
Chaotic Obfuscator
[OOC: For the cats, there is the question of whether or not they have done enough? Have the actually foiled Sable's plans and returned the burdens back to normalcy? Would they report it? If so to whom? What do they do with Jayden? How do they pat him on the head now that he is curious?]

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Dizzy

"Shadow. We should maybe go back and see how your burden and the others are fairing? See if there is any change? Then maybe try to touch base with the other cats? There is no leader now but they need to know what is happening."

She deliberately leaves her burden out of the conversation. She thinks that Shadow might make a good leader and he might be motivated to try for that position.

AJ Offline
Shadow

In the darkness, the shadow of a cat mrred his assent.

"Wise. See to our Burdens, and alert the rest of the parliament. If there remains work to do this night, we all must be on guard to protect what is Mi- Ours."

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Dizzy

She smiles to herself, having noticed the slip.. and to be fair to Shadow.. the quick correction also. They need a strong leader, ideally to avoid another Sable situation. She would be happy to put him forward and support that.. though likely he would not need either.

"It will be quickest by the noisy metal thing."

She strolls to the car and meows at the door.

Chaotic Obfuscator
OP Offline
Chaotic Obfuscator
[OOC: Technically there is still a leader. Sable was being groomed to take over, but was only second in command. Jezzabella is still the head of their little town's felines.]

Jayden

Rising from his squatting position, Jayden followed the damn cat to his car and opened the back door for her.

"Finally, something I can handle," he said sardonically.

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
[OOC I thought Jessabella had died in the woods? ]

Dizzy

"In first Shadow."

She waits for the dark cat to enter then jumps in herself, transferring to the front seat next to her burden.She purrs in approval. He is showing some potential.

AJ Offline
Shadow

From dark to dark, a flicker across the threshold.

Chaotic Obfuscator
OP Offline
Chaotic Obfuscator
[OOC: Your memory may be better than mine. I will have to go research for that. If you find it first, please quote it for me, so that I can jog my memory. Thanks.]

AJ Offline
(Last we saw was at the veterinary hospital being put in a cast, multiple broken ribs. here and around it.)

Chaotic Obfuscator
OP Offline
Chaotic Obfuscator
[OOC: Thanks. That is what I remembered. She was hurt, but being cared for. What happened after that, I am not sure the cats know. Though given DC's past, certainly she could assume the worst, so that works for me too. ]

Jayden starts the car and heads back towards town. The question where does he go first?

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
[OOC If Dizzy sees/smells somewhere she recognises she could meow. Home works though. wink ]

Jayden

Jayden looked to see if his grandfather's spirit had accompanied them as he drove out of the woods, making the necessary turns to get back to his home.

Shutting off the car, he opened the door and stood there making a rather grand gesture for the cat to exit her chariot.

AJ Offline
Shadow

From dark to dark, a flicker across the threshold.

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Dizzy

She is glad he is learning to be useful. As a reward, she jumps out and moves to his legs, rubbing around them and scent marking him.

"Shadow? Parliament first?"

AJ Offline
Shadow

Softly,

"You were with Jezzabella last. Shall we see where she is?"

Jayden

Jayden stooped into a squatting position as the little feline stropped his ankles vigorously and then stroked her behind her pointed ears.

"Anything else, your highness?"

His tone was not quite as sarcastic as he had intended.

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Dizzy

"Good idea."

She knows the way to the vets as she has been there a couple of times with her burden since she arrived here.

She walks a few steps down the path, stops and looks at Jayden, then turns and trots off her tail waving in the air.

Jayden

"Now where in the hell..." Jayden got back erect and stood there, hands on hips, shaking his head and rolling his eyes.

"Damn cat... I wonder where she's going now."

He turned after a moment and went into the house, popped the top on a beer and started to reheat some chili he'd made the day before.

AJ Offline
Shadow

He flitted along beside the visible cat, keeping to her flank akin to her natural shade. He stayed silent for now, the less risk to overloading burdens on this night the better.

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Dizzy

"Shall we check her house first, our gathering site or head for the place she was taken from the woods. She looked in a bad way to me."

She is doubtful how much help Jezzabella will be but it is a place to start. By this time Dizzy has reached the end of the path and is scenting the air in the different directions she is suggesting.

AJ Offline
Shadow

"Where she was taken first. I visited her house when you were with her."

Chaotic Obfuscator
OP Offline
Chaotic Obfuscator
It takes a while to trot out to the edge of town where Jezzabella had been found in the woods by Jayden. It might have been simpler to have looked around when they were out there, but it wasn't that far.

To the experienced cat's eyes, they see the sign of a struggle. Clearly two felines were fighting, and one was much larger and stronger than the other.

AJ Offline
Shadow

"Sable."

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Dizzy

"Yes. Where now?"

She looks around but is ready to head back to town.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Pandemonium 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Talon475, Randal Trimmer, Kimf, Yvon, TennesseeBaron
177 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Zeim
Member Spotlight
Forum Statistics
Forums103
Topics2,840
Posts140,696
Members177
Most Online296
Jan 19th, 2020
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
†Restricted forums can only be accessed by DreamLyrics members of the age of 18 years or older. Access which is granted by the Behind Closed Doors Procedure.
™DreamLyrics Play-by-Post. DreamLyrics Play-by-Post does not own copyright on DreamLyrics texts or graphics, except trademarked DreamLyrics logos and logotypes. The works contained in DreamLyrics are copyrighted (automatically, under the Berne Convention) by the original authors and may be available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence. (See Copyrights for details.)
Privacy Policy