Eye of the Dragon
DreamLyrics Play-by-Post
Who's Online Now
2 members (Angrboða, Art in the Blood), 11 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Dice Roller
You will need to enable Javascript in order to view the Dice Roller.
Games Recruiting List

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
DM
It takes about a day to march north to the town of Conyberry but half a day was gone before you had set out and so that included an overnight rest stop. The long rest allowed the spellcasters to prepare their spell anew and the wounded to tend to their injuries and heal up. In the morning you set forward again and reached the Triboar Trail before noon. Your instructions were to follow the trail because it runs right through the abandoned town of Conyberry - an easy landmark for locating the lair of the banshee Agatha. All that you've learned about the town is that it was sacked by barbarians many years ago and that it has laid in ruins ever since. From the ruins of Conyberry you were told to take an old trail which leads northwest into Neverwinter Wood.

Agatha's lair is a few miles outside town the town. The forest grows dark and still as the trail winds deeper into the trees . Heavy vines and th ick layers of moss drape the branches, and the air is noticeably colder than it was in the ruined village. Rounding a bend in the trail, you see a screen made from the warped branches of trees standing close together, woven into a domelike shelter in the shadows. A low doorway leads inside.

Attached Images
NeverwinterWood.jpg (185.56 KB, 253 downloads)
AJ Offline
Kriv

He approached the lair briskly, taking the vanguard in the face of the dangers which, given this was the abode of a spirit of wailing death, they had a pretty good idea they were up against. He stood at the threshold...

and knocked, politely.

nem Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Chandan

On the walk in, Chandan muses aloud about ways of silencing the banshee if it starts to sing its dirge, but such magics are beyond him, possibly beyond their party.

Given no-one they've spoken to so far has actually complained about the banshee, and the party have been asked to talk to her about one thing or another, it seems likely the creature (Agatha is her name) can be reasoned with.

Still, there talks are likely to be fraught with peril, or else their quest-givers would have handled it themselves.

Agatha's lair looks cramped, and crowding into the banshee's sitting room might annoy the undead elf. With Kriv taking the lead, Chandan glances to his other companions.

"Davroar and Jaliera, perhaps you could accompany Kriv? Davroar's druid craft might come in handy inside these twisted trees, and if Agatha is as self-conscious as the Sister suggests, she might enjoy his attention.

"Jaliera, keep watch on the shadows, your eyes where the others' cannot be.

"Kallista and I can stand watch out here." He recommends, unslinging his new wineskin.

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

Chandan's suggestions make sense though she is not happy with the idea of Davroar flirting with the banshee. She more than likes the young druid herself but has no experience that shows her a way forward with him.

Whisper has been resting on her shoulder and she talks softly to the young animal, explaining that she will want her to look around so that Jaliera can watch through her eyes.

Administrator
Administrator
Davroar

The banshee's lair puts a chill across his arms as they get close. He turns to Chandan to say in a quieter voice, "What?! I'm not going to any such thing with it!"

The last thing he wants to do is deceive the banshee in thinking she is desirable.

"I'll mind my words with Agatha, and will try to be nice... Can we not just use the perfume as a bargaining piece?"

Anything more than that, and Davroar is not going to go along with it.

AJ Offline
Kriv

The outburst from the Druid had prompted a look of extreme disdain from the Dragonborn.

"If she wants the perfume, there is no reason whatsoever not to trade it to her for that which we require. Do you want it for yourself? A little secret, covering yourself in a different scent doesn't generally reduce the underlying stink of human, it just adds to it."

Whatever fears the ally to nature had regarding attractiveness or desirability, it was abundantly clear the monstrous noble neither shared them nor considered them the least bit relevant in the forthcoming negotiations.

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

She cannot resist a small smirk as Davroar vehemently declares he will not dally with the banshee. And as always she is more than willing to take his side.

"I think the perfume could be a good thing to trade, Davroar."

Administrator
Administrator
Davroar

He laughs and says to Kriv, "No... I do not want the damn perfume." Still laughing he finds Kriv's misunderstanding of his words too funny to contain, yet quickly adds, "Sorry..." as an apology for what might appear to be a lack of respect towards the noble Kriv.

He gives a friendly wink to Jaliera as he appreciates her once again while he struggles to contain a smile in front of Kriv.

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Kallista

"Here", she hands Davroar over the silver comb she received from the Priestess in town. "Sister Garaele gave us this to give to Agatha to play on her vanity."

AJ Offline
Kriv

He waved off the apology as unneeded, seemingly mollified by the apparent resolution to the perfume as a trade good question. He turned his attention back to the entryway to Agatha's home.

Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
DM

A home of sorts is sheltered within the dome of woven branches, It is sparsely furnished with chests, shelves, a table and a reclined couch - all of it old and of elven craft.

Shortly after you enter this place, the air grows cold and a powerful feeling of dread grips you. A cold, pale light flickers in the air, rapidly taking on the form of a female elf, her hair and robes waving in a spectral wind. She might have been beautiful once, but a hateful expression twists her features now.

"Foolish mortals," she snarls. "What do you want here? Do you not know it is DEATH to seek me out?"

AJ Offline
Kriv

He bowed low with the easy grace of one trained in courtly niceties. If he seemed fazed by the prospect of certain death, it didn't show on his reptilian features.

"Beautiful Agatha, we seek an audience and an exchange of gifts."

Without taking his eyes off her, he beckoned the druid with the silver comb to step forward.

"If this is amenable to you, of course."

nem Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Chandan

He had only a humourous wink for Davroar, but now that the elf phantom has answered the door, Chandan isn't so keen about letting his companions enter alone.

But someone has to stay outside. The old monk will probably be least useful inside, and the tiefling Kallista's sorcery useful for covering them all if an attack came from the woods.

It is an interesting place, this Conyberry. The ruins must have a story to tell, made all the more curious by a banshee choosing to set up home here.

Administrator
Administrator
Davroar

Even though he was expecting it, the banshee is still quite unnerving to see as it materializes out of thin air. Fighting the urge to run away, he holds out the silver comb and stammers, "See, see... it is quite, nice, fair one."

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

The unnatural cold, the twisted elven banshee, Jaliera has never been more scared in her life. Deep down she knows this woman could just kill them on a whim but she can't think of anything to say and her mouth is so dry that she doesn't think she could speak anyway.

So she tries instead to keep her wits about her and to think about how best to protect her friends.

Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
[ooc: Wow. 11 days. I've been gone way too long <sigh>. So sorry about that. It came without warning.]

Agatha

The banshee seemed open to conversation and her mood seemed to soften slightly as Kriv called her beautiful. But then Davroar, without having bartered, simply offers a gift of a comb.

"A comb? Is my hair so disheveled that I am in need of one? It is a pretty comb but has my death destroyed my looks? Perhaps if you were dead your hair would not be so perfect either!"

AJ Offline
Kriv

Mellifluously, the noble scion endeavoured to smooth the ruffled feathers.

"Forgive his bluntness, doyenne of eternal comeliness, as you can see he is something of a scruffy human never educated in the correct manner to address a lady, as you can doubtless tell by his stammering, blushing demeanour.

More to the point, this comb was entrusted to us by one far off who had heard of your great beauty and wished to proffer it as a token of goodwill, a pretty and useful device to both serve you well and further reflect the pleasantness of your visage.

They asked us to crave a boon of you in exchange for this token of esteem, namely information concerning a certain spellbook."

Administrator
Administrator
Davroar

He opens his mouth, but no words come to mind. He would rather lash out with a spell to rid the world of this unnatural apparition, but here he is forced to barter with it.

For now all he does is avert his gaze to the dirt floor, and let Kriv speak for them.

Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
Note that there are two separate missions to obtain information from Agatha, not just the spellbook question. And the comb did not come from Kost, it came from - Sister Garaele - She has asked the party to visit the lair of Agatha the banshee and trade her a silver comb for information about a legendary spellbook. Reward: 4 potions of healing.

The other missions was for Kost, The Red Wizard of Thay, He asked you to get rid of the nearby orcs and to ask Agatha, the banshee, the name of the wizard that build the Old Owl Tower. Reward: He will answer Daran Eldermath's question.

Agatha

If it's possible for a banshee to take and edge off their mood, Kriv seems to have found it.

The ghostly figure smiles with cold amusement. "Very well," she says. "I know that you seek many things. Ask me one question, and I will give you an answer."

AJ Offline
Kriv

He dipped his head in a bow to the banshee, and replied.

"Truly, your wisdom approaches your beauty: It is indeed the case that we do seek more than one piece of information. So, to honour that wisdom, I will set out all we desire in the one question you have graciously allowed, if you will permit."

He reached for his journal, holding it before him unopened, and began,

"Within this journal will be written two incomplete phrases. The first begins, 'The disposition of the spellbook formerly belonging to the mage Bowgentle is...'. The second begins 'The name of the wizard who built the Old Owl Tower is...'. My one single question is this: What fully and truthfully completes those two phrases?"

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
lol

Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
OOC: AJ. Double or nothing. Roll a charisma check. Think of this as save or die. weg

It's actually an "opposed" check against the banshee:

Banshee Intelligence check
Neptune rolled 1d20+1 and got 12

If you succeed, you get your answers. If you don't....

AJ Offline
(Would Persuasion come into play?)

Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
Yes. I should have said that.

Last edited by Neptune; Wed 14/09/16 01:56 UTC.

-Nep
AJ Offline
Kriv Save or die persuasion
AJ rolled 1d20+2 and got 7

Kriv

A definite change of mood. Likely too late for him, but perhaps he could soften the blow for the rest of these apes to get the job done.

"I sense I have caused offence. As you said yourself, it is death to seek you out, and yet I have been willing to risk my entire existence just to bear witness to you in all your glory. After staking everything, what was the harm in an extra risk? As much as I would like to remain alive, if it is my fate to die and have the last thing I ever see be your wondrous visage... I could have no regrets about such an end."

He seemed about to speak, but...

Last edited by AJ; Wed 14/09/16 21:58 UTC. Reason: No time to speak
Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
ooc: You don't get to talk. Agatha reacts. Everyone needs to make a DC 13 CON save. If you succeed, you take 10 points of damage. If you fail, you drop to 0.

Agatha

The banshee is not fooled by Kriv's antics and becomes infuriated with the mind-trick that the dragonborn attempted. As he finishes his request, the banshee shares it's anguish with a loud, mournful wail. The sound shakes the trees and branches that make up it's lair but also rattles the minds of the living. Blood starts to ooze from your ears as the death wail assaults you.

Those who do not die heard an answer in the wail, "The disposition of the spellbook formerly belonging to the mage Bowgentle is in the hands of a necromancer named Tsernoth from the city of Iriaebor and the name of the wizard who built the Old Owl Tower is Arthindol."

As it quiets, it starts to fade and then disappears.

Last edited by Neptune; Wed 14/09/16 11:42 UTC.
AJ Offline
The Dragonborn stood there for a moment, eyes where the banshee had been, then slowly, ever so slowly, keeled over backwards, thudding against the unforgiving earth unceremoniously.

Kriv Save or die hear the answers
AJ rolled 1d20+3 and got 10

Kriv Death save
AJ rolled 1d20 and got 8

1/3 failures.

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Kallista

Standing back she grins wryly at Kriv's word play, tensing a bit as she waits for Agatha's response.

It is not long in coming, and she claps her hands over her ears as the wail pierces her brain. The screech staggers her, but she manages, just barely, to maintain consciousness.

Kallista Con Save
Zeim rolled d20+2 and got 13

nem Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
[Chandan isn't in the treehouse-lair-thing, but I've rolled anyway in case I need to.
Chandan CON Save DC 13
nemarsde rolled 1d20+2 and got 7]

Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
Wail (1/Day). The banshee releases a mournful wail, provided that she isn't in sunlight. This wail has no effect on constructs and undead. Al l other creatures within 30 feet of her that can hear her must make a DC 13 Constitution saving throw. On a failure, a creature drops to 0 hit points. On a success, a creature takes 10 (3d6) psychic damage.

So, I guess you're saying that Chandan is more than 30 feet away, which I'll buy. You definitely need a couple of people to survive to provide healing.

Administrator
Administrator
Davroar

He falls to his knees, eyes closed, and pressing both hands to his ears in a vain attempt to block the banshee's wail from his mind. When it finally ends, his head hurts like hell as he slowly opens his eyes and finds it gone and with Kriv lying on the ground. In more of a stumble than a purposeful stride, he reaches Kriv's side and casts a healing spell on the Dragonborn.

Davroar CON save DC
Dugan rolled 1d20+3 and got 13

Davroar Cure wounds
Dugan rolled 1d8+2 and got 4

nem Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
[Hi Nep. Chandan's outside the front door, so however large the lair is. If it's cottage-size, I imagine he'd be in range.]

Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
Yeah, Chandan should roll his save.

nem Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Chandan Death save
nemarsde rolled 1d20 and got 3

Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for the death saves but that clock isn't ticking until we see Jaliera's rolls. So far:

Kalista & Davroar are up
Chandan & Kriv are down

Kriv will be up next round - before any death saves are needed.

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

She is scared by this creature and not sure what she can add that will help. Fortunately Kriv seems to be doing quite well.. at least until it all goes pear-shaped.

Jaliera Con save
Gypsy rolled 1d20 and got 17

The noise is like nothing she has ever heard in this world.. and she hopes never to hear it again. But at the end she is still standing. She moves to help Davroar with Kriv.

Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
DM

The banshee is gone. She took the comb. Two members of the team are down and the survivors have been harmed by the wail. Davroar rushes over to Kriv and tries to cure him. It takes a moment, but he opens his eyes. Outside the lair, Chandan is lying on the ground, a small pool of blood is forming where his head meets the dirt.

AJ Offline
Kriv

The Dragonborn slowly focused on the Druid, then gradually raised himself up, gingerly.

"You know, I'm giving serious consideration to favouring your method for dealing with the undead."

He reached around for his fallen journal, smoothed the pages and quickly made true the root of his provocative question, filling in the incomplete commentary before adding in the words seared into his brain at eldritch, near-fatal volume.

"Looks like we didn't need the perfume, either."

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Kallista

Her head still ringing from the Banshee's Wail, she see Kriv sit up, but notes Chandan is still lying on the ground, apparently unconscious.

"Davroar, can you look at Chandan. I'll try to keep a lookout for anything else coming, though an elefant could sneak up on me right now and I'd not hear it."

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

She had not been aware of the impact of the screech on those outside of the dwelling but a screech that loud and angry was bound to penetrate. She rushes outside to see how bad the situation is.

Administrator
Administrator
Davroar

He gives a quick smile at Kriv's comment on the undead, but does not want to say anything more just in case the banshee is nearby. Instead, he only says, "Good to see you're up..."

Then with Kallista mentioning Chandan is hurt too, he stands up and says, "Thanks Kallista, I'll see what I can do."

Back outside, his head clears up a little as he heads over to where Chandan has fallen and casts another healing spell on the old man.

Davroar Cure wounds on Chandan
Dugan rolled 1d8+2 and got 6

nem Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Chandan

He blinks and stares up at the young druid, Davroar, whose head is framed by the dappled light through the leaves above.

It's true that Chandan did have a drink from his new wineskin, after the others had entered the banshee's lair. That's the last thing he remembers....

Sitting up, the monk winces and groans, his head sore, and glances at the wineskin.

"Holy cow, that is some strong drink!" He gasps.

Clambering to his feet, Chandan pats Davroar on the shoulder.

"How are you?"

Administrator
Administrator
Davroar

"I feel like someone's stuck a pine tree through my ear and shaken it. Other than that, I'm good."

Davroar will offer his hand to help Chandan stand up if he wants it.

Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
DM

It would seem that there is no more to gain here as both missions were completed - although at a temporary price. Banshees are a dangerous foe, and Agatha will continue to haunt this place.

Now the party needs to decide where to go next.

nem Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Chandan

Thanking Davroar for the helping hand, Chandan shuffles on his feet, looking around for his rusty old spear. Upon finding it, he picks it up with a loud cracking of his back.

"That undead was lot more lively than me!"

When the others appear, the monk suggests a next move.

"While we're here in the east hills, might as well go see the Red Wizard if we have his answer.

"But still we are no closer to Cragmaw Castle."

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

She had been hovering nearby, concerned for their fallen comrade.

"Well one encounter here was definitely enough for me. And yes Cragmaw is our ultimate goal but we still need to revisit the wizard and collect the potions from the druid. I wouldn't want to head for the castle without them."

AJ Offline
Kriv

He tucked away his journal, and nodded agreement with Jaliera.

"In terms of our intermediate objectives, we have what we came for. Perhaps I could have asked for Cragmaw's location as well, but there was no indication she knew of it, and pressing our luck further..."

He left that unsaid.

"So, double back to the red wizard. Do we have any other likely targets around here?"

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

"Not here no. Apart from a few loose ends in town, the next thing would be to find Reidoth the druid. He is supposed to be in the ruins of Thundertree and knows a lot about the area."

Administrator
Administrator
Davroar

"I did try to send a message to Reidoth two nights ago, and told him we would be heading to Old Owl Well. I was hoping he might have been there when we first got there..."

Then of course meeting up with the red wizard got them moving immediately to here instead. Davroar thinks if there is still no word or sign from Reidoth when they get back to Old Owl Well, then more than likely his message never made it to him.

nem Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Chandan

"You did well to get the information you did." Chandan says to Kriv, pausing to ponder before continuing, "A phantom like her is probably bound to this place anyway. Little chance she even remember where Phandelin is, let alone Cragmaw."

The bedraggled monk looks around the gloomy forest. He'll be glad to be gone from it.

"Come. Let's walk back to the road. From there, Old Owl Well."

Chandan starts humming a prayer in his native tongue.

From what he can gather, Davroar had saved him and Kriv... again. Chandan sings for the blessings of the Lords of Karma, to be speedy in their rewarding of the druid.

But the Dragonborn had also shown that there were virtues to having a reptilian mind, whilst Jaliera and Kallista had stood tall against the dread magic that had felled the rest of the party.

Much to be thankful for!

Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
DM

And so the group headed out. The road was a logical first objective and then on to see the necromancer about the information he had promised. They had almost all died to obtain it and it seemed foolish to not collect on that price.

It would take a day to return but it was already late afternoon and the group needed a long rest. Those who had died momentarily after healing the banshee's wail had a terrible headache. They were alive but in some agony. When the sun was low in the sky they established camp and were starting to discuss guard duty when they heard a noise not far away.

As they turned to look they realized that they had more to deal with now. A large humanoid was approaching and it was licking it's tongue as it came running towards the party waving a spiked greatclub over it's head. It smelled dinner.

Roll for initiative!
DM Encounter checks, day, night (17 or more)
Neptune rolled 1d20,1d20 and got 18, 16

DM Encounter type for day
Neptune rolled 1d12 and got 3
Ogre!

Ogre Initiative
Neptune rolled 1d20-1 and got 11

Attached Images
ogre.jpg (79.42 KB, 160 downloads)
Administrator
Administrator
Davroar

Just when he thought they can put up their feet for a nights rest, the ogre makes its rather sudden appearance running at them.

His indecision on what to do catches him off guard as the ogre closes the distance much quicker than he expected.

Davroar Initiative vs Ogre
Dugan rolled 1d20 and got 8

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

With a thought, she sends Whisper to the safety of a tree and draws her weapon.

Jaliera Initiative
Gypsy rolled 1d20+3 and got 13

[OOC Assume we have not regained spells? How close is it? Would Jaliera think she can position herself to use her bow or is it too close and she needs a sword in her hand?]

Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
OOC: If you have initiative, you get a bow shot. Otherwise, unless it attacks you directly, you can take bow shots without penalty. It is within a single move of the party. You did not yet recover spells.

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
[OOC Then she will take a bow and a shot, hoping to back off behind the front line fighters to continue using her bow.]

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
(OOC - did we use any spells with the Banshee, other than healing by Davroar? We renewed our spells after the Orc cave.)

Kallista Initiative
Zeim rolled d20+2 and got 20

Kallista

She hears the approaching Ogre and perhaps her Darkvision gives her a reaction edge, but in any case she takes a quick step back and raises her hands, words of magic flowing from her lips.

Grey, sticky stands of Webbing fill the space between several trees and around the charging Orge. At the same time, with a brief flicker, Kallista continues on into the casting of a second spell. A loud peal of sound fills the space around the Ogre. Not quite as loud, nor as deadly as the wail of the Banshee, but still sharp enough to be damaging.

First - Casting Web. Ogre must make a Dex save versus DC13 or be Immobilized.
Second - Using a Sorcery Point for 'Quickened Spell' to cast Shatter as a Bonus Action.
Kallista Cast Shatter
Zeim rolled 3d8 and got 18. Ogre takes 18 Thunder Damage, can make a Con Save versus DC13 for 1/2

Last edited by Zeim; Wed 21/09/16 14:04 UTC.
nem Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
[Chandan didn't use any special abilities at the banshee's place. And he rolled 5 total for Initiative.]

Chandan

He is in the middle of explaining to Davroar about sky burials and the monk's role in them, when the ogre comes traipsing into view.

Chandan looks the monster up and down, and is pretty sure it's related to the ogre they slew yesterday.

That one hadn't been very friendly either, so the old vagabond expects this encounter will not end with tea and sugar cakes.

Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline

Ogre dex check
Neptune rolled 1d20-1 and got 9 - Fails, restrained

Ogre con check
Neptune rolled 1d20+3 and got 18 - Saves for half

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
(OOC - OK, so on it's turn it can attempt to break free by making a DC13 Strength check, but that takes up it's action.)

AJ Offline
Kriv

He would never have admitted it, but that brush with oblivion had taken more out of him than might have been apparent, to say nothing of having had to dissemble like some indolent lackey for the good of the group and the success of their goals. Nonetheless, he readied his maul and girded himself, switching gears from a battle of wits to a battle against the witless.

Kriv Initiative
AJ rolled 1d20+1 and got 2

Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
Just waiting for Jaliera's bow shot.
ogre break the web
Neptune rolled 1d20+4 and got 17

The rest of you can get end-of-round attacks and we'll circle back to Jaliera and Kallista. Ladies first in this encounter wink

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

She fires true and then moves back to ensure she can keep firing her bow.

aliera Bow (round 1)
Gypsy rolled 1d20+5,1d6+3 and got 24, 5

[OOC I am away now for several days and have made two more rolls in case they are needed. Feel free to add more. wink ]

Jaliera Bow (round 2)
Gypsy rolled 1d20+5,1d6+3 and got 18, 6
(DM ooc: I added your round 2 attack)

Last edited by Neptune; Thu 22/09/16 15:11 UTC. Reason: Added 2nd round attacks for Jaliera to the post
nem Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Chandan

The old monk glances around at Davroar and Kriv, seeing them arming themselves. But an ogre is a towering opponent with long arms, so Chandan calls upon the Five Elements once more. It worked against the last ogre they fought, perhaps it would work again?

"Water Whip Pummel Face!" He shouts in Primordial, a hissing serpent of luminous blue water lashing towards the giant from the old man's punching fist.

Then Chandan brings his spear to bear....

[Bonus action: Chandan attacks Ogre with Water Whip and +1 ki point for 4d10 = 32 damage!! (Ogre must make Dex save to take half damage and avoid being knocked prone.)

Either way, Chandan will attack with spear as his standard action, hitting for 9 damage total.
Updated: Removed kick attack. Monk only gets that as bonus action. Water Whip was Chandan's bonus action this round.]

Last edited by nemarsde; Thu 22/09/16 19:20 UTC.
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
(OOC - 2 points I think:

1 - The Web effect now, after the Ogre breaks free, is the area is difficult terrain. If the Ogre starts it's turn in the area of the Webs (which I think he would) he has to make another Dex check versus DC13 or be restrained again. One more move (assuming he moved this turn) should get him out of it I think. So one Dex save on his next turn and he should be free of the area.

2 - Anyone who attacks the Ogre hand-to-hand would have to enter the Webs, which means they too would need to make a Dex Save versus DC13 or be restrained themselves.

Sorry, I can't make the effect selective.)

Last edited by Zeim; Thu 22/09/16 13:51 UTC.
Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
OOC: The ogre was restrained when it started it's turn. It's difficult terrain but he made his strength check and that breaks him free. He does not have to make another save because it's no longer the start of his turn. You're over-thinking it Zeim.

Before Chandan gets to do his attack, he better make that dex save (DC 13) or he won't reach the ogre.

AJ, I need Kriv's action. If you also try to engage the ogre, you'll need to make the dex check. After it breaks free, it'll move out of the webs and pick a target for round 2.

nem Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Ah OK, np, I'll just convert that melee spear attack into a ranged spear attack, even taking the other three hits rolls for Disadvantage he still hits for 9 damage. Typical of me to roll four successful consecutive hit rolls and only one counts! grin Edited above.

Last edited by nemarsde; Thu 22/09/16 16:01 UTC.
AJ Offline
Kriv

Seeing the beast struggle to free itself from the webs, it seemed ranged combat was the order of the day. Aiming high to avoid burning away anything that might entangle it further, he dug deep into his remaining reserves to unleash a pair of firebolts.

Kriv fire bolt
AJ rolled 1d20+4 and got 13
Kriv fire bolt damage
AJ rolled 1d10 and got 8
Kriv action surge fire bolt, damage
AJ rolled 1d20+4,1d10 and got 15, 2

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Nep - If Chandan needs to make a Dex save for the Webs in order to attack the Ogre, that means the Ogre is still inside the Webs. Which means he will start his turn inside the Webs, which, according to the spell description means he has to make another Save or be restrained again.

Last edited by Zeim; Thu 22/09/16 18:46 UTC.
Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
Zeim, true. I'll take the original Chandan attack.

nem Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
[Edited the above again then. razz ]

Administrator
Administrator
Davroar

Seeing the ogre breaking free from the webs, and without any significant ranged attack himself, he will wait to see if the others can damage it enough for the ogre to realize it might be on the losing side and run away. If that does not happen, Davroar will take his large bear form to attack the ogre.

Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
DM
The ogre didn't have a chance. Kalista prevented it from reaching the others with her web and then the party attacked the large humanoid with a coordinated attack which included water, fire, lightning and good old spears and arrows. It fell to the ground dead before it got a chance to swing it's great club.

OOC: This feels like a good time to take a break. Neil is away for a couple of weeks and I'm sitting at the airport typing this up. California here I come! We'll resume in about a dozen days.

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Do something cool out there for your birthday, and not work related!

Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
Yeah, I had to work. But after the , the wife and kids took me out to dinner and then I flapped my wings and flew to San Francisco. Been there ever since.

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Got time for a sidetrip to Yosemite, or at least Chinatown?

Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
We're staying in San Fran for 4 days and will do pretty much everything. Dinner in Chinatown, Fisherman's Wharf, the marina, downtown, Haight-Ashbury, Mission district, Union Square, Pacific Heights, Lombard (crooked street) street, Golden Gate bridge. We were lucky (if that's the word) that the Folsom Street Fair was going on (ummmm, not an R-rated link but definitely demure compared to what we saw!). We spent the day yesterday doing a winery tour of
Napa Valley <burp>. Today we go to Alcatraz and chill.

Tomorrow we begin a road trip. Yosemite, Death Valley, Las Vegas (what happens there stays there), Grand Canyon, Hoover Dam. We end up in Sedona and will visit Phoenix.

nem Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Well, that makes my trip seem pretty dull in comparison. I've mostly just worked alas! I did get to see The Magnificent Seven on RPX (suped up IMAX) and whilst the AV was impressive, the film was a bit of a non-event. Not a patch on the original.

Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
DM
After defeating the random ogre, you are able to rest up and start a new day. You continue on, back to the Red Wizard and after a few hours of safe travel you see the crumbling ruins of the old watchtower that Kost has made a base of operations. Nobody is visible outside the familiar colorful tent that he set up in the middle of the small, open courtyard that is outlined by mounds of stone which used to be an outside wall.

OOC: I'm back home again. Let's play! Neil, are you back?

nem Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
[Yes, I think so. Feels like 50% of my consciousness was left 5000 miles away, mind you.]

Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
That makes you 75% more conscious than me wink

nem Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Chandan

He wasn't the one who had spoken to the Red Wizard and made the agreement. That was Kriv, their colourfully reptilian negotiator.

So Chandan stays back, and as he had done before, he scouts around the perimeter of the ruins, alert for any sign of mischief.

Maybe there is a third member of the ogre family that they've fallen afoul of? Maybe Kost's zombie minions are in position to ambush them? Maybe neither, maybe they will simply talk and complete their business....

AJ Offline
Kriv

Mindful of the circumstances of their initial meeting, the Dragonborn approached with caution, keeping an eye out for the red Wizard's servants as well as the man himself.

Administrator
Administrator
Davroar

He will accompany Chandan searching around the perimeter, while also looking to see if there is any sign that the druid might have gotten his message and left one of his own.

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

She waits on he perimeter with her bow at the ready and Whisper flying overwatch as usual. She suspects the wizard is around excavating somewhere.. but one should always be on guard. She has learned that the hard way on this expedition.

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Kallista

She doesn't like the Red Wizard. Actually anyone who willingly associates with undead is not someone she likes. However he did agree to tell them what they came for, so as long as he isn't hostile she'll simply wait and keep watch as Kriv goes to speak with him.

Last edited by Zeim; Fri 07/10/16 14:21 UTC.
Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
DM

As Kriv approaches the tower the zombies, as before, began to shamble out of it. The dragonborn recalls that Kost emerged after he was alerted, by noise, that there were people approaching.

AJ Offline
Kriv

He raised his voice, but kept the tone polite, decrying,

"This is Kriv Norixius seeking audience with Kost, pertaining to our bargain made some days prior for our mutual gain."

He kept an eye on the Zombies: There was reason enough to be leery of potential treachery should civility fail.

Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
Kost

As if on queue, the Red Wizard pokes his head out and when he sees you, he halts the small army of zombies and marches out, adjusting the belt on his flowing red robes as he approaches.

"Welcome back. Seeing that you are alive and all here I take it that you were able to convince Agatha to provide you with information?"

AJ Offline
Kriv

He inclined his draconic head towards the Red Wizard respectfully, and held up a slip carefully removed from his journal and folded over, the answer Agatha had given to Kost's question.

"We were successful, yes. As an aside, the Orcs that were nearby will no longer pose a hindrance to either of our interests. I have here inscribed the name of the wizard that built this tower as relayed by the Banshee, ready to exchange with the information we agreed upon."

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

She approves of Kriv not just giving up the information.. but wonders who will trust who first.

nem Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Chandan

He had been frozen, about to leap to the defence of Kriv as the zombies approach.

But the Red Wizard emerges and talks resume.

Chandan nods and continues his scouting of the ruins. He freezes again suddenly, noticing the hefty rock he saw on their last visit.

Crouching down he licks it, then ponders to himself, before nodding and saying, "Definitely stone."

He moves on....

Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
Kost

"Excellent! That is excellent news! Yes, yes, let's exchange information. It was an exchange of information that we agreed to - and a cleansing of the bothersome orcs. To be fair, you've traveled a long way to get me my answer and have returned. That's a show of good faith. So I'll answer a question for you first, in exchange for that note. I have a sense that you are somewhat honorable folks and will answer you other questions, as best I can, after," he says.

And after a short pause he adds, "But I don't know everything."

nem Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Chandan

He makes his way back to where his companions stand apart from Kriv and the Red Wizard.

Chandan plants his spear and leans on it, watching the proceedings with a serene look.

"He pretty good at this talking stuff." The monk remarks, presumably about the Dragonborn.

AJ Offline
Kriv Norixius

A magnanimous gesture, and worth the potential risk. He inclined his head in acceptance, and asked,

"Reasonable, I agree to this sequence. So, our first question is this: What, precisely and fully, is your purpose and objective at this location?"

Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
Kost

He was taken aback by the question. It landed on him as accusatory but he sighed and provided as clear and full an answer as he is willing to provide.

"There is much arcane knowledge that has been lost over the ages. I am here to glean what I can about that lore that was left behind by its builders. Much knowledge can be gained in that manner. That is why it is important for me to know the name of the wizard that built it."

He pauses for a moment and says, "Now the note please. I will continue to answer your questions - all in good faith, but after I have that information."

AJ Offline
Kriv

He handed over the slip without further hesitation. Whilst he would have hoped for a clearer or more thorough answer, he had agreed and his word was his absolute bond.

He waited for the Red Wizard to read it before going on, both out of politeness and in order to be alert to any potential double cross.

Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
Kost

"Thank you. This will help me. It is really appreciated. What other questions do you have? I'll be more than happy to answer."

Clearly the man was being agreeable. He had what he wanted and was committed to being true to his word.

AJ Offline
Kriv

It would seem they had that much in common, at least. He pressed on, starting with their ultimate objectives.

"Let's start with some that may be either helpful or swiftly dismissed. Are you familiar with the Wave Echo Cave, or with Cragmaw Keep? Have you heard of an individual referring to themselves as the Black Spider?"

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

Hers and Whispers attention is mostly directed outwards but she does listen to the conversation closely. Maybe they really will learn something useful?

Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
Kost

"Cragmaw keep? Do you mean Cragmaw Castle? Yes. I can help you with that. It's not far, a couple of days away, at most. You would follow the Triboar Trail west. When you see the southern tip of the Neverwinter Woods, turn north. It's in the southern tip of the woods."

He tucks his right hand under his left shoulder and rubs his chin between forefinger and thumb as he glances skyward and mutters, "black spider, where did I hear that name before?". After a few seconds he looks Kriv in the eyes and says, "I've heard of the Black Spider. I think it was from some Hobgoblins that claimed he was their boss, like that would scare me! He must be some kind of boss man that has these dumb humanoids all runningscared. I don't know much else. I've never heard of the cave you mentioned."

"Is there anything else I can help you with?"

AJ Offline
Kriv

He committed the directions to memory, and to his journal: This alone had made everything worthwhile with regards to aiding the red wizard. A solid lead which might well take them to where Gundren Rockspeaker was held captive directly.

"Thank you, I believe that should be sufficient. All that remains is a matter of public safety on the one hand and your privacy on the other. To ensure you are not further disturbed by those who would take offence at your bodyguards, can you estimate how much longer your excavations here will continue, and advise as to the disposition of your bodyguards at the conclusion of such?"

It had been the presence of the undead that had served as a catalyst for their arrival, thus they would be most remiss if they could not, at the very least, provide a time frame for that particular matter to be resolved.

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

Finally they have a location for the castle. Now they can work out a plan to rescue Gundren. She is quite excited by the prospect.

Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
Kost

"As a wise man once said to me, 'When the soup is ready, it will be soup'. I do not know how long it will take me but I hope not too long. I have no intentions of making this a permanent residence and now that the orc problem has been solved, the timeframe has been shortened."

With that, he ordered his zombies to return to their stations and bid his visitors farewell and followed his zombies back inside.

ooc: You have a number of options and should discuss where to go in-character. There were other missions and now you know where the castle is. One of the nice things about this adventure is that it's not a railroad.

nem Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Chandan

His ears perk up. Suddenly they are back on track, and Gundren's rescue another step closer.

Chandan turns to Davroar.

"If what he say is true, Cragmaw Castle maybe two day journey on foot. Longer if we return to Phandelin first. What do you think Davroar?"

Once Kriv is amongst their huddle, the old monk is quick to congratulate him on another successful parley.

"Well done Kriv Norixius!"

AJ Offline
Kriv

He acknowledged the praise with a slight nod, but pressed on swiftly to the business at hand.

"We are beholden to several people in Phandelin, and above all else to Gundren. I'd say to Phandelin, make what additional preparations we feel we may need to storm the castle, then to Cragmaw."

Administrator
Administrator
Davroar

He remained quiet with nothing to add during the conversation with the wizard, but now that they know where Cragmaw Castle is he replies, "I don't know, Chandan. Makes sense to restock and see if there's any news at Phandelin, but spending that extra time, could mean Gundren's life."

Dwarves are known for their hardiness, but Davroar worries just how long Gundren has being a captive and possibly tortured.

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

"Phandelin first, I would agree. Those healing potions alone could make the difference between success and failure. I think we all agree that Gundren is a priority but we should not underestimate what we are up against. It is important that we succeed."

She adds her opinion as she recalls Whisper ready to make tracks.

nem Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Chandan

He nods to Kallista, sensing she'll likely concur with the others.

Chandan places a lot of faith in his companion's abilities. They are more versed in these kind of adventures than he. He is just a monk.

So wisdom tells him he should agree, and he does.

"Ah so, Phandelin we go!!" He says enthusiastically.

Last edited by Zeim; Thu 20/10/16 18:04 UTC. Reason: fixed pc name
Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
DM

The march back to Phandelin will take nearly 3 full days and the group decides to get going immediately. They have become aware that the Triboar Trail is a dangerous route and are alert for dangers along the way.

As they march along, they discuss the night watch and conclude that they can all sleep as long as Jaliera lets whisper rest during the day while they walk. The owl can see perfectly well at night and now understands that task, which she takes very seriously.

It is well past dark and Selune has hidden behind clouds and is low in the sky when Whisper wakes Jaliera. It's dark and the young rogue understands that there's imminent danger.

OOC: No surprise either way. You can't see unless you can see in the dark. Please roll for initiative.

AJ Offline
Kriv

The Dragonborn slept soundly, his conscience untroubled.

Kriv Initiative
AJ rolled 1d20+1 and got 3

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Kallista

Kallista is also sleeping, depending on Jaliera and Whisper to watch over them.

Kallista Initiative
Zeim rolled d20+2 and got 19

Administrator
Administrator
Davroar

He has a fitful sleep, struggling within a nightmare of images of the wizards undead and the echo of the banshee's wail in the distance.

Davroar Initiative
Dugan rolled 1d20 and got 3

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

She can only see in the dark when looking through Whisper's eyes and now is not that time.

"Wake Davroar" She sends her instruction to Whisper thinking that Davroar is likely to react best to being woken by Whisper. She draws her sword and bends to shake Kallista awake.

"Trouble" she hisses, then heads for Kriv.

Jaliera Initiative
Gypsy rolled 1d20+3 and got 22

Last edited by Gypsy; Wed 26/10/16 10:47 UTC.
nem Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
[Init 12]

Chandan

Now that they're bound for Phandelin, the old monk happily quaffs the rest of his cider and by the time Jaliera's owl raises the alarm, he is snoring softly, deep asleep with a smile on his face.

Last edited by nemarsde; Tue 25/10/16 17:59 UTC.
Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
DM

Whisper does a terrific job of alerting Jaliera of the impending assault in time to give the party a chance to wake up and be ready for the ambush. She wakes Kalista first and then the men.

It is dark and only those with darkvision can see, but those that can see in the dark see a number of hobgoblins pointing arrows at the party.

Hobgoblins initiative
Neptune rolled 1d20+1 and got 17

Order:
Jaliera 22
Kallista 19
Hobgoblins 17
Chandan 12
Davroar 3
Kriv 3

Jaliera and Kallista go first, then the hobgoblins. Waking the party was already factored in. You may act accordingly.

As last time, we have the roll20 site. If everyone is available on Saturday morning 8am Eastern, we could do the combat live, there. If not, no biggie, we can just move tokens on Roll 20. Here's the link. You're already in the game.

Roll 20 combat map

Attached Images
hobgob1.gif (167.92 KB, 120 downloads)
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

With Whisper on her shoulder she can see in the dark.

"Hobgoblins."

She hisses to her companions, whilst taking her bow and notching an arrow to target the one she can see that is almost due west of her. [Assuming up is north]

Jaliera Arrow
Gypsy rolled 1d20+5,1d6+3 and got 10, 8

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Kallista (Nep-clicking on the Roll20 link takes me to the previous combat map?)

Rising to her feet she can see the groups of Hobgoblins approaching in the darkness. Seeing the others rising, and that Kriv, their warrior, is closest to the group coming from the north, she faces the group coming from the west and speaks a few magical syllables, pointing into their midst.

Kallista Cast Sleep on the three Hobgoblins to the west
Zeim rolled 5d8 and got 27

Last edited by Zeim; Thu 27/10/16 13:24 UTC.
Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
DM

The battle ensues and is swift. With a few well placed spells, a few arrows, some swift blades and an old man's heels, the bodies of a half dozen hobgoblins lay broken on the ground.

OOC: Moving it very fast forward to allow for a clean transition.

nem Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
[That was all me!!]

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
[No, it was me! grin ]

Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
[We all know that Chandan's the heel.]

AJ Offline
[I still hold out hope for a face turn.]

nem Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
[I did consider reinventing Chandan as a sorceror, but having a high Charisma would've broken the suspension of disbelief. lol ]

Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
DM

The bodies of the dead Hobgoblins are lying at your feet. Nobody has moved.

AJ Offline
Kriv

"We will see to them in the morning, when we can see them. I suggest we return to rest and continue as planned."

Fumbling slightly in the darkness, the Dragonborn headed back to his bedroll.

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

She can see of course with Whisper's help. She wants to check that each one is dead and so might as well search them whilst she is at it. Her intention is to put aside anything she finds and show it to the others in the morning.

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Kallista

She watches Jaliera search and once she is done she asks, "Do you mind if I burn them? Leaving them just lie here will attract predators, and it is too late to move the camp."

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

"Not at all."

She smiles towards Kallista.

"Whisper and I will lend a hand."

Probably a job best out of the way.

Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
[b]DM[b]

The hobgoblins were all dead. And they didn't have much in the way of pocket change. It totaled only 15 gold in small coins. They also had a lot of worthless things such as shiny stones, whittled twigs, small swatches of cloth, buttons, nails, string and a crumbled piece of parchment.

Jaliera, out of curiosity, straightens out the parchment and is surprised to see a note:

Quote:
Favric was sent to Thundertree to kill the druid and recruit the dragon. Check on him but don't get yourself killed. I need to know if Favric does ....

It is unfortunate that the parchment has been torn and only half the message is available.

Administrator
Administrator
Davroar

He had changed to his large bear form to fight, and will remain in his bear form to help in dragging the corpses into a pile upwind and far enough away from their camp to avoid the unpleasant smell.

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

She moves to her companions, softly calling them together.

"Look what I have found."

She reads the note and then offers it around for those that want to see.

"Anyone make anything of it? This is the location we were told to find our Druid in so he must be the same one they are discussing here."

nem Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Chandan

Handling dead bodies has literally been his stock and trade for most of his life, so Chandan helps move them out of habit. He speaks to the dead hobgoblins amiably while he does.

"Maybe in your next life you'll remember to duck."
"Better cover your face, might put crows off their food."
"Don't hold grudge against Jaliera, she wasn't aiming for your crotch, you jumped."
"Few pieces missing from you--- Hey, maybe you find out answer to whether bears s*** in the woods."

Etc.

The old monk ambles over to Jaliera when she reveals the torn parchment, stopping to pat Davroar on the head.

Kriv was bedding down again and Kallista washing her hands perhaps.

"Thundertree, hmmm," he ponders, remembering the map they'd perused in Phandelin, "Over one hundred miles, maybe one-twenty, but the route takes us passed Phandelin at least."

[Sorry, recap needed. grin Why are we going to Thundertree in-continuity? Don't we already have the location of Cragmaw and it's a lot closer.]

Last edited by nemarsde; Thu 03/11/16 18:45 UTC.
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
(OOC - Technically you don't as finding the Druid was to learn where Cragmaw was, which you now know. Rather than having you head to Thundertree, I can play out the Dragon encounter with the other group and have both groups meet up in Phandalin, minus Lingo, Balthazar, and Kallista. Sildar Hallwinter can introduce you to each other. If that works better?)

nem Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
[Yeah, I only just realised we don't have an in-continuity reason to go to Thundertree now. Meeting up in Phandelin makes a lot more sense from that perspective, I think.]

Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
Neil, you are correct, although going to Phandelin would have been nothing more than delivering messages of completed missions. This was all a way to egg you on to Thundertree to merge the parties. Period.

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
I can go either way. The timelines are not necessarily in synch so anything is possible.

Last edited by Zeim; Thu 03/11/16 20:54 UTC. Reason: spelling
AJ Offline
Kriv

Those to whom the darkness was not an impediment could likely see the calculating expression on the face of the Dragonborn noble.

"Recruiting a dragon, you say? If we can steal a march on that, I dare say Cragmaw Castle would be ill-suited to an aerial assault. All speed to Thundertree after we hit Phandelin, then!"

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
(OOC - Actually a good reason, AJ, for the original concept.

Neal - Presuming the "Spider" is the one trying to recruit a Dragon, disrupting that plan is a good reason to go to Thundertree I think.)

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Works for me! grin

nem Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
[Nice thinking AJ! To Thundertree... And Beyond!!]

Administrator
Administrator
Davroar

He slips back into his human form when Jaliera finishes reading the note, and shows obvious concern in the tone of his voice in not wanting a fellow druid to be assassinated by this Favric person.

"Nevermind the dragon. I'd like to get there quick as possible to stop this Favric."

Just how old this note is anyone's guess, and due to the lack of success in getting his message to the Reidoth, Davroar fears the worse.

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

"Understood. We will conclude our business in Phandelin quickly and then go straight there. Best we get some rest now so we can travel."

She smiles around at those gathered, pleased they have a plan and a real sense of finally being on the right path.

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
(OOC - I will start a new thread for this group to link up with the other group as soon as I get back from my business trip after 11/20. In the meantime you can talk and presume you are traveling.)

Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
DM
The five heroes start on their way to Phandelin. The journey takes a few days but there are no hostile encounters that produce a real threat to them on their way. They arrive back in the town just before dinner time.

AJ Offline
Kriv

With time an issue, the Dragonborn is quick to chivvy people along, recommending they fulfil their duties in short order.

He heads in to apprise his Lords Alliance contact on what has been accomplished so far, as befits proper respect for the chain of command.

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

She looks around at the others.

"Number of things we need to do here. Go see the retired warrior, go see the Sister and collect the healing potions, catch up on any news and resupply ready for the next stage. Davroar and I can go visit the warrior, we met him before. So maybe someone else can visit the sister? Then we can get rooms at the inn and see what else we might learn about the next stage of our journey and those involved in it whilst we get a decent hot dinner. That sound like a plan?"

Her spirits are quite high, looking forward to tying up some loose ends, eating well and sleeping in a soft bed.

Administrator
Administrator
Davroar

He nods in agreement with what Jaliera and adds, "I guess we should also see Sildar too?"

AJ Offline
Kriv

Glancing back,

"Got Sildar covered."

nem Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Chandan

He smiles and waves cheerily to the townsfolk as they walk along the main street, regardless of the reaction to their return.

Although a taproom would be his first choice, they have no time to lose, barely even time for a light refreshment, so the old monk signals his intent to visit the Sister. He'll have to make-do with a quick refill of his gourd at the Stonehill.

"I go visit Sister, get potions, meet you at the inn."

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

She smiles.

"OK, won't be too long. See you back at the inn."

She heads off with Davroar to see the retired adventurer, glad to have some time with just him. The group seem to be working together better now but at times, living in such proximity with each other can be a strain.

nem Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Chandan

He waves Jaliera and Davroar off, then considers his visit to the good Sister Garaele.

The monk pats his morass of hair and reties his saffron scarf, the shrugs and turns to Kallista.

"Just us then." He says enthusiastically.

Chandan sets out in the direction of the town shrine, humming quietly to himself, and if Kallista comes along, telling her a story about giants and their ridiculous feuds.

Administrator
Administrator
Davroar

He follows alongside Jaliera as they walk towards the old warriors place and says, "It seems we are once again rushed into something more even before we can catch our breath with a night here."

He reaches out and gently touches her hand. Davroar lets his trepidation show knowing that they might be facing a dragon in the near future and asks in a quiet voice, "Would our lives be richer stealing moments now when we have a chance?"

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

She stops, surprised, but there is a tingle from where he touched her hand that is still tingling. Her eyes are shining as she looks at him.

"You know that I am attracted to you? And I think that you feel the same?"

This is said in her usual direct manner, straight to the point, except that this time she is blushing.. and hoping. She steps closer to him...

Administrator
Administrator
Davroar

Her bluntness surprises him at first, yet finds it electric as he locks his eyes upon hers to say, "Yes. Jaliera, your beauty and spirit has me..." He is at a momentary loss of words. Tilting his head ever so slightly, he watches her face closely trying to read her reaction as he boldly slides his fingers up her left arm just below the elbow and moves in for a gentle kiss.

Last edited by Dugan; Tue 22/11/16 08:09 UTC.
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

She tilts her head and moves to meet him. Maybe a little clumsy but this is her first kiss.

"Mmmm that was nice."

She smiles at him, her whole face beaming.

Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
DM

The heroes return to Phandelin is a welcome sight for the villagers. By the time they reach the commons, they find themselves being escorted by excitable young children that eagerly announce their return to all that will listen. Common folk step out of their homes and shops to cheerfully welcome their return, waving hello as they pass.

Townmaster's Hall - Kriv
Kriv makes his way over to the Townmaster's Hall and is warmly greeted by Sidlar as he walks in. "It is good to see you, friend. You've been gone over a tenday now and I was beginning to worry. Have you succeeded in obtaining the information about Cragmaw Castle? And what of the orcs at Wyvern Tor? I know that Harbin the spineless had a bounty on their heads."

The Shrine of Luck - Chandan
Chandan stops over at the Shrine of Luck. Sister Garaele is not there at the moment but she lives in a cottage next door.

Edermath Orchards - Jaliera and Davroar
The pair head across the town green towards the apple orchards. It is late spring now, and the apple blossoms have fallen, covering the ground with white and pink petals. Tiny animals such as chipmunks, field mice and squirrels run playfully across the branches and around the trees. It is in that serene and pastoral setting that a spark ignites between the pair. The way things are going, they'll likely be the last to return to the Inn.

nem Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Chandan

The wizened old monk has a good look at the shrine, since he's curious about the worship of the western pantheon.

Then, content that neither the Sister, or any further illumination were to be found, he walks next door to the cottage and raps upon the door.

"Hello, delivery for Sister Garaele!"

[I'm going to leave it there and bounce over to the new topic.]

Last edited by nemarsde; Tue 22/11/16 18:59 UTC.
AJ Offline
Kriv - Town Hall

He nodded, curtly.

"We have the location for the castle, and are presently gathering resources in order to successfully gain entrance. We were also able to locate and eliminate the Orcs."

Administrator
Administrator
Davroar

He returns her smile with one of his own and at the same time gives her hand an affectionate squeeze before reluctantly letting it go.

"I'm feeling pretty good right now too. Let's go see Daran, and let him know what we've done, and then perhaps we can just enjoy the rest of the day here outside for awhile..."

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

"That would be nice."

She is still smiling. It is a lovely feeling to feel close to someone again. She has not really felt that since she lost her parents. She pushes away her concerns, how her mentor might view this development for example, and decides to just enjoy it for now.

She turns and falls in beside Davroar again as they make their way to see Daran. She hums a little tune as she moves along, Whisper opening one eye and giving her a look for just a moment. Jaliera chuckles.

Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
DM

Jaliera and Davroar find Daran outside his cottage, tending to his orchard. When he sees them arrive he greets them "Hail there! I'm so glad to see that you've returned. Have you had success?"

Sildar, although stoic, seems impressed both by Kriv's demeanor and the accomplishments of his team. "Then you are due the rewards that were promised to you."

He reaches under the counter and retrieves a small pouch and tosses it to Kriv. Inside he finds 200 GP.

"The old Townmaster offered you 100 GP, I believe. It's there, plus another 100 GP, in advance, for you going to Cragmaw and defeating or driving out the goblin chieftan there. There's another 500 GP for you and your team if you succeed."

Sister Garaele opens the door and is elated to find Chandan, cleaner than before, standing there. "Welcome back! It seems that Lady Luck has blessed you. Were you able to obtain the information that I sought?"

AJ Offline
Kriv

He accepted the weighty bags of gold with another nod.

"Thank you. If the fates will it, we shall return in due course. Are there any further matters, or may I take my leave to see how we are progressing?"

Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
DM

Sildar approaches Kriv and extends a hand, "It is good to see you and yes, you may take your leave."

ooc all: Let's let Zeim take over in the other thread for now. Chandan will receive the 4 potions of healing from Sister Garaele. There was no financial reward for completing Daran's mission, just XPs.

That means that your next post should be here!

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

With Davroar's assistance, the two explain everything they had discovered, spend some time getting to know each other, talking a little more openly and enjoy the open air together before returning to the inn.

Jaliera tells Davroar that her parents died in a fire some years ago, one where she was only just saved. Also that she now works for her mentor, a sage and wizard who provides her with a living and a place to stay, the intention is that she goes in search of items for him. This adventure is a kind of test, to see if she can become the adventurer that he has trained her to be.

Administrator
Administrator
Davroar

He finds her story fascinating as he had a similar brush of death with fire too. He will tell a bit about his brush with death when at the age of six he had succumbed to a fatal wasting disease that is well-known throughout the nomadic tribes of Narfell. Given powerful drugs by their local shaman, he was to be ceremoniously burned to death. Nature though seemed to have other plans for Davroar as a sudden rain squall raced across the open plains to douse the pyre's flames. He does not mention the third degree burn scars across his back and shoulders, but he was miraculously cure of the disease.

Instead he will change the subject to ask, "Jaliera, are you looking for something now for your wizard? Can I help?"

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

"Burned to death?!"

She is incredulous.

"That was a lucky escape indeed. I got out through a tiny window, a man from the outside helped me or maybe I wouldn't have gone. I was fighting him. I didn't want to leave my mum and dad to die."

Her eyes are distant and damp as she remembers back to that day.

"I am scared of fire now if it gets close."

She takes a breath and changes the conversation to a more mundane topic.

"Nothing special no. Gundren is a friend of his and I think he is just seeing how I measure up. Though if I bring any items back, he will get first choice, only fair."

Administrator
Administrator
Davroar

"Oh, that's good."

He was worried for a second there wondering if her mentor was some crazy wizard wanting something so rare or dangerous that it would be an impossible task.

He smiles and says with confidence, "After what we've been through, I'd say you've measured up hundred times over. I'll back you up on that for sure. Sounds like he has been good to you, taken you in and all."

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

She blushes.

"Thanks. I was really scared at first but I find I quite like it. Better than many of the alternatives! And I do think I am learning and growing. And yes he has been good to me and the other two boys. It seems a good arrangement. He trains us and provides for us, then as we adventure and find things, it keeps him in his old age but we benefit too. He is clever I think."

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Neptune, Zeim 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Talon475, Randal Trimmer, Kimf, Yvon, Xiang Chin
177 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Member Spotlight
Forum Statistics
Forums103
Topics2,813
Posts139,427
Members177
Most Online296
Jan 19th, 2020
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
†Restricted forums can only be accessed by DreamLyrics members of the age of 18 years or older. Access which is granted by the Behind Closed Doors Procedure.
™DreamLyrics Play-by-Post. DreamLyrics Play-by-Post does not own copyright on DreamLyrics texts or graphics, except trademarked DreamLyrics logos and logotypes. The works contained in DreamLyrics are copyrighted (automatically, under the Berne Convention) by the original authors and may be available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence. (See Copyrights for details.)
Privacy Policy