Eye of the Dragon
DreamLyrics Play-by-Post
Who's Online Now
1 members (Phoenix Prime), 8 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Dice Roller
You will need to enable Javascript in order to view the Dice Roller.
Games Recruiting List

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#840810 Wed 10/02/16 17:11 UTC
Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
DM
Tensions between Kriv and Chandan cool to a nice simmer by the time that the quintet start organizing for their departure. Jaliera did her best to keep the tensions from escallating, and had some success, but knew that the flames could reignite at any moment if the drunk monk did something that would set off Kriv.

Davroar's messenger had probably arrived at it's destination and delivered a message by now. At the very least Reidoth, the druid of Thundertree, would be expecting them and if so inclined, might have information for them when they get there. And Kalista was content to watch the group dynamics. It seemed like theater to the pretty tiefling. It didn't always make sense, but until it derailed them from the objective, she did not take sides.

They set out east on the Triboar Trail early in the day. They were rested and were eager to make good time. It would take them more than two full days to arrive at their destination. They would be sleeping outdoors for two nights. If they made good time they would arrive early on the third day. It was understood that the Triboar Trail was the safest path to their destination but safe is a relative term. Encounters with hungry beasts, greedy bandits and vicious monsters were common occurances. They needed to set up a night watch to keep a look out for danger and an outdoor marching order to insure that they were not vulnerable.

Neptune #840815 Wed 10/02/16 18:12 UTC
AJ Offline
Kriv

As far as the Dragonborn was concerned, the situation had not changed one iota, save for Jaliera getting the vagrant to concede asking first the next time he felt like murdering surrendered prisoners. As before, he wanted Chandan taken to task for that, but as before, that was entirely secondary to securing Gundren Rockseeker. His personal desires and inclinations in that regard remained on hold until that objective was met or no longer possible.

This did not mean that relations between the noble scion and the mendicant monk were going to be anything other than icy, at least as far as the law-adhering Dragonborn went.

"I suggest for our marching order two abreast, with myself and Jaliera in the van to make best use of her keen eyes and my defensive capabilities, a second rank of Despair and Davroar, with Chandan acting as rearguard.

I recommend three watches: Jaliera's owl and Kallista would be best in the darkness, so watches same as the marching order, myself and Jaliera from twilight, Kallista and Davroar over the dark of the night, and Chandan as the sky brightens. Any objections?"

Neptune #840818 Wed 10/02/16 18:42 UTC
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Kallista

She listens and nods, a wry half-smile crossing her face. While it is clear Kriv still professes distaste for Chandan, it would seem, perhaps unconsciously, he trusts the Monk enough to let him watch over him while he sleeps.

"Seems fine to me, though it might be good to have Jaliera's new friend take a wider view during the dark of night? Perhaps flying out and above to give warning?"

She looks at Jaliera. "If she can wake you while you sleep it'd give us another pair of eyes in the darkness."

Neptune #840911 Thu 11/02/16 08:04 UTC
Administrator
Administrator
Davroar

"Sounds reasonable to me, Kriv."

Davroar thinks that as long as each rank in the marching order keeps the other in sight then they shouldn't run into any issues with communication if they need to be quiet.

Listening to Kallista's suggestion he nods in agreement and adds, "If a barn owl can hear a mouse moving through grass, I'd think anything larger will be quite easily detected by Whisper."

Neptune #840948 Thu 11/02/16 18:40 UTC
nem Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Chandan

Breathing deeply of the smells of morning, he's glad to be away from the town. Ever since he left his mountain Chandan has been a wanderer, and before that a hermit. Neither of which has suited him for town-life.

With the reassuring weight of his new and full wineskin slung across his shoulders, he is in a fine mood and hums quietly to himself as he brings up the rear.

"A good plan!" Agrees Chandan, listening to Kriv and also nods approvingly at Kallista and Davroar's opinions.

Neptune #841051 Fri 12/02/16 20:37 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

"I had already thought to have her keep a watch-over during the dark hours as she will sleep during the day I think. I will try to communicate those ideas."

All this is very new to her and she still has a lot to explore with Whisper. She is very keen though to have her familiar contribute and be accepted by the group.

As to marching order and watches, she hears the plan with mixed feelings. She would much rather be with Davroar but then maybe he might be a distraction? Kriv is at least a strong fighter and likely to be good protection. It could be worse she supposes.

Neptune #841059 Fri 12/02/16 22:34 UTC
AJ Offline
Kriv

He nodded as the party came into full accord, and took up his position.

"Then we are all agreed. Let us continue."

When he had the opportunity, he quietly spake to Jaliera, making sure not to be audible beyond her,

"Jaliera, there is something which occurred to me last night, which I feel beholden to share with you in strict confidence. You know full well my personal inclination towards Chandan, and I am grateful for you taking up a position as a neutral arbiter to ensure that we collectively stay on-mission. I am aware of my own biases, and I wish to take them out of the equation in this matter, as it may well have an impact on the mission if I am right, and upon group cohesion if I am wrong and falsely accuse. So, I put this matter before you to judge."

He paused, gathering himself, and continued,

"So much of my perspective was outraged at Chandan murdering the surrendered, that to my discredit, I forgot one very salient point which throws the whole matter into a different light: That wasn't the first surrender Chandan was involved in."

He gave her a slightly chagrined expression at acknowledging his fault, and carried on,

"You remember in the goblin caves, when we'd just gone up the chimney to do battle with the bugbear in charge? Chandan ran off, and when next we saw him, he was naked amongst the goblins. He later claimed that he had surrendered to them. He trusted the vermin to let him live when he did so, forsaking not just his weapons but his raiment. He knows full well what it means to surrender, yet despite that knowledge, he still did what he did. This is what I am struggling to reconcile: Does that seem like a discrepancy to you, or are my personal biases seeing suspicious activity where there is a natural, normal explanation?"

Neptune #841218 Sun 14/02/16 15:24 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

She is totally taken aback when Kriv speaks to her suggesting that he fully values her opinion. She has never been in that position before. Her family upbringing, shortened as it was with the death of her parents, had been happy and non confrontational. Her enforced time with the guild had not been a happy one and it was clear that her opinion had no value whatsoever. Her mentor, who had also been her rescuer, treated her well but as a child or at best a junior underling. Has she changed that much?

She thinks things through before giving her opinion, wanted to give Kriv her full consideration and to show fairness and truth in her opinion.

"Each of us has bias, likes, dislikes and patterns of behaviour based on our own life experiences. We cannot help that. It is what makes us how we are. From what I have observed Chandan has not been used to people and society. Consequently he cannot make the right life choices easily. However when he surrendered, I believe his intentions were to provide a distraction and to make it safer for us. He is unconventional but not bad, I think. He probably needs experience and guidance to help him to a better understanding."

She looks at Kriv with a smile, hoping that he might see that kindly guiding Chandan might be a good option.

Neptune #841251 Sun 14/02/16 23:56 UTC
AJ Offline
Kriv

He gave every appearance of weighing up and mulling over her words, before, with all due solemnity, shaking his head.

"Experience and guidance, two of the finest paths to education, yet there is a flaw in that line of thinking. With age comes surety, solidity, the ossification of ideas, the consolidation of habit. Chandan's maturity in years has locked in his immaturity of spirit: He is no willing child or callow youth for whom learning remains second nature. We could no more help him to a better understanding than we could convince him to abstain from drinking, and for much the same reason. Do you see the logic in this?"

Neptune #841281 Mon 15/02/16 11:52 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

"I accept the logic but I don't think it fully applies in Chandan's case. He may be mature in years but he is a child in experience of the world."

She almost adds 'a bit like me'.

"He has already changed his behaviour by leaving his solitary existence, proving that he can adapt, and forming a team with us, again a change, but he doesn't yet fully understand what that means. I believe he is trying and we need to encourage that."

Neptune #841290 Mon 15/02/16 15:45 UTC
AJ Offline
Kriv

He mulled over her words, but as yet seemed unconvinced.

"It seems to me, and do not take this as a personal slight, that something of your own bias shows when you think of him in such terms. How much of that 'willingness to change' is what you dearly hope is true, rather than what we have seen to be real?"

He allowed a moment of consideration before continuing,

"The actual evidence provides a continuous pattern, from the moment we first met him through to last night's attempted intervention. He hears, but he does not listen. He sees, but he does not observe. When in the goblin's cave we were flooded out once, we tried again, and narrowly avoided being flooded out again. His response was to do the exact same thing a third time, and after the rest of the group had committed to going a different route, he ran off that way by himself, necessitating his surrender and denying his assets to the group at our moment of greatest need. Davroar and Kallista repeated and affirmed the need for everyone to stick together, and still he ran off.

"If you ask Chandan to do something, he will do whatever the hells he wants. He defaults to aggression, to running blindly forward, to lashing out at those he sees as enemies. He has divided our forces, repeatedly bitten off more than he can chew and needed rescuing, betrayed promises we have given as a group. He interfered with gathering information in the Tavern, and defaults to drinking where drink is available, even when being called on his excessive drinking. He just does not care what others say or do or think, consistently and constantly, time and again. There is very little evidence to the contrary, 'tagging along' doesn't quite cut it as a counterargument. Do you agree that this is the behavior he has exhibited repeatedly? Is this characterization inaccurate?"

Neptune #841401 Tue 16/02/16 11:31 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

She is beginning to suspect that maybe Kriv has an ulterior motive here and is trying to get her endorsement in some way, maybe towards something he has planned?

"I accept I may well have a bias but is that not true of yourself too? All the incidents you have named are the ones to support your viewpoint and are interpreted in the worst light. I accept that he can be haphazard but I don't think he is as much of a liability as you think. He has fought with us, taken risks, assisted in our efforts. AS to whether he can change surely remains to be seen."

She smiles at Kriv.

"I think we may just have to agree to differ."

Neptune #841412 Tue 16/02/16 13:56 UTC
AJ Offline
Kriv

He made a conciliatory gesture, and answered,

"I would much rather come to a consensus: I see very little merit in him and his actions from my perspective, but Gundren did, and that to me is crucial. What I'm looking for, what I want to see, is that which I am not seeing: How those incidents can be interpreted in a better light. How running off when asked repeatedly not to, how murdering surrendered prisoners, how drinking himself into a stupor aids our cause. I accept I see him in the worst light, I ask you to show me the best light."

"We do need, as you have steadfastly highlighted, to work together. I can hold back my disgust, restrain myself from responding to his tomfoolery and drunken camaraderie, stay my hand from seeking immediate justice. But barely tolerating him, committing effort to merely coexisting at best, is not conducive to effective team performance. So, show me. Tell me. Not in vague generalities like 'He joined the group' or 'He fought against those hostile to us', especially since wandering off to do his own thing, killing those no longer hostile and surrendering are part of the problem."

"You have the courage of your convictions, the intelligence to give them voice and a strong commitment to party unity. Please, use those gifts, and be his advocate."

Neptune #841721 Fri 19/02/16 12:19 UTC
Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
DM

Phandelin lies in the area of the north called "the Triboar Trail", "Triboar Cutoff" or "the Cony Gap". It's a stretch of foothills and rolling, sparsely wooded plains that extends between the Sword Mountains to the south and Neverwinter Wood to the north.

Davroar gets excited over the few days when he is able to identify several rare shrubs species along the trail but otherwise the journey is uneventful until the final night before they reach their destination.

During Kalista and Davroar's watch, Jaliera jumps awake suddenly. Whisper, her owl, noticed something dangerous lurking nearby.

I'll need initiative rolls. It's dark. If you cannot see in the dark? Consider what you are doing for light. Without it you are effectively blind.

Neptune #841725 Fri 19/02/16 12:42 UTC
AJ Offline
Kriv

The Dragonborn slept soundly.

Kriv initiative
AJ rolled 1d20+1 and got 12

Neptune #841802 Sat 20/02/16 07:38 UTC
Administrator
Administrator
Davroar

While occasionally poking at the small campfire with a short piece of wood, he finds it difficult to make small talk with Kallista and instead is content to watch the constellations slowly move across the sky while enjoying natures tranquility at night. He does have a unlit torch close to hand if needed, so when Jaliera suddenly sits up from her sleep, he reaches for it and quietly asks, "Something wrong, Jaliera?"

Davroar Initiative
Dugan rolled 1d20 and got 10

Neptune #841805 Sat 20/02/16 12:16 UTC
nem Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Chandan

He'd spent most of his life alone on a mountain, performing the sky burial rites in the province and learning the Way of the Five Elemental Fists from giants and the elements themselves.

Chandan had dealt with the dead every day, dealt with mourners, he knew their stories and their stories of their homes, their villages dating back generations.

But he had never visited them. Wearing his saffron monk's scarf and a loincloth, Chandan picked his way into the desolate ruin of the village at sat on the northern slope of his mountain.

Tendrils of smoke drifted from the broken doorways of crude dwellings, where cooking pots had burned out unattended. Silence hung over the place like a pall.

The dead littered the streets in familial clusters, bloodied and staining the dirt beneath them. They'd been slain where they stood, speared or put to the sword. The entire village.

Chandan raised his gaze, eying the vultures circling overhead as if they sought the monk's blessing to feed. Perhaps it was just habit.

"Funerals are for the living. There are none here." He said to them, "You need not wait on ceremony, they are yours now."

The monk worked quickly, checking each body for life signs. He was struck by how the attackers had spared no-one, not the toothless crones older than Chandan, not the youngest children, who had died still holding their toys.

As Chandan searched, he realised village had not been razed or pillaged. The attackers hadn't paraded around or wasted time, they hadn't lingered after the massacre. It was pure, bloody murder, not behaviour like any raiders Chandan had ever heard of.

He crouched next to a pile of horse dung, very distinctive compared to other animals. Chandan knew that none of these humble villagers owned anything as expensive as a horse, yet the droppings were everywhere. Riders. Which meant they'd taken the road, in and out.

A weak, wailing cry. The building nearest. Chandan froze, then darted into action, leaping over a handcart in the street and through an open window into the room beyond.

It was dingy inside, hazy, he rushed over to a cradle by the heart. Empty. Again the cry, he looked down, confused. A baby lay on the heartstones, only weeks old. It bled from a terrible gash in its face and its little arm was broken. It had to be the yoghurt-makers baby.

The attackers had snatched it from its cradle and dashed it against the hearth. Knocked unconscious and gravely injured, the baby had nevertheless survived, but not for long if the old monk couldn't treat its wounds.

Chandan carefully swaddled the infant in his saffron scarf and gathered what herbs and spices he could from the yoghurt-maker's stocks.

A shadow fell across the doorway and the monk turned, ready to fight. But it was the mother, nine-tenths dead, she staggered forward to be caught by the monk in one arm, as he held her baby in the other.

The mother had been dealt a fatal blow, ran through by a thick blade. Yet somehow, upon hearing her child's cries she had dragged herself from the brink of death, from where she'd fallen in the street, back home.

She was pale, only a single strand of life left in her, her lips trembling, tears welling in her eyes in anguish. She was beyond pain, but unimaginable sadness gripped her as she watched her baby.

"S-soldiers..." she said shakily, fixing her gaze on Chandan, "Nadu's soldiers. S-said we had... offended his family name."

The greybearded monk sucked in a breath, suddenly understanding. Nadu was governor of the province, appointed by the suzerain. Nadu's nephew was a miscreant, employed as a census-taker. Last Spring, he and his thugs had raped the village baker when he'd refused give his daughter to them, but the villagers had reacted in outrage and mobbed the men. After much deliberation, the village elders decided to hand the captives over to government inspectors, showing the utmost discretion, and so it was that Nadu's nephew was taken away one night, never to be seen of again.

Yet it was a secret that the Governor would not allow to be left loose in the wild, it was obvious to Chandan now. The mother's eyelids fluttered and she sank in the monk's arms, whispering to him as she reached out to touch the infant's cheek.

"Save... p-please save, save my child---"

They were her last words on Toril. Chandan stayed still while her spirit passed, then laid her gently down. A chill wind blew in through the doorway. It was autumn and winter would soon settle on the lands.

He tended to the baby as best he could, using the healing lore he'd acquired in the monkhood. Then Chandan dressed himself in thick homespun robes taken from the washing line, and set out onto the road. The baby was snug, wrapped in a sling against his chest. Despite the wind, Chandan was warm. Something burned in his chest, next to where the orphaned infant slept. He felt it was anger.

And as always, when he feels it -- that sudden fire in the veins, like magma -- Chandan stirs from his dreams.

[Chandan initiative. Rolled 6 in total]

Neptune #841819 Sat 20/02/16 16:39 UTC
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Kallista

She'd attempted to engage Davroar in conversation, flirting with him overtly with little success. After a while, she sighs and stares out into the dark, making sure to keep her back to the fire to not ruin her Darkvision.

When Jaliera suddenly sits up, she stands and grips her Staff more tightly, staring out into the surrounding darkness and listening closely. She moves further from the fire.

Kallista Initiative
Zeim rolled d20+2 and got 17 (Note - Kallista has Darkvision of 60')

Neptune #841905 Sun 21/02/16 14:58 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

"Whisper warns of danger."

She warns her companions quickly, grabbing her bow and nocking an arrow. As she readies her bow, she kicks Kriv in the side as he is yet to stir. All the while she is looking around for a target, alert for anything more Whisper can tell her.

Jaliera Initiative
Gypsy rolled 1d20+3 and got 21

Last edited by Gypsy; Sun 21/02/16 15:00 UTC.
Neptune #841930 Sun 21/02/16 18:52 UTC
AJ Offline
Kriv

His eyes snapped open and he looked sharply up at Jaliera, but then took in her weapon, and glanced around at the others even as he reached for his maul. Quietly, he asked,

"What is arrayed against us?"

Neptune #841960 Sun 21/02/16 22:59 UTC
nem Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
[If Chandan is awoken, he'll light a torch.]

Neptune #841988 Mon 22/02/16 03:34 UTC
Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
Kalista active perception role please....

Neptune #842022 Mon 22/02/16 15:11 UTC
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Kallista

She scans the area nearby, searching for whatever Jaliera's owl saw, but cannot tell what it might be.

Kallista Active Perception
Zeim rolled d20+3 and got 9

Neptune #842049 Mon 22/02/16 20:10 UTC
Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
DM

While Kallista, even with her darkvision, cannot determine where and what the danger is, Jaliera can see through Whisper's eyes. She did not see what Whisper saw that woke her up, but she knows that the owl has fixed it's sights on the trail what you would call south west of where you are on the tactical map - which, btw, I used a random map generator to create - not bad!. The young woman cannot make out the form, which is trying to be stealthy, very well. Still, she can tell it's a four-legged animal. While the owl noticed one, there may be more than one animal sneaking up through the woods.

Attached Images
trail1.jpg (564.23 KB, 13 downloads)
Neptune #842147 Tue 23/02/16 07:34 UTC
Administrator
Administrator
Davroar

He will light up his torch and at the same time gently tapping Chandan with his boot to wake him up.

Neptune #842260 Tue 23/02/16 21:06 UTC
Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
Those will be Davroar's actions for this round, which could have been your opponent's surprise round. Only Kalista and Jaliera can act.

wolf initiative
Neptune rolled 1d20+2 and got 21

Note: Jaliera and the wolves tied. Since it really would have the jump on her, and it had the higher natural roll, it'll go first but Jaliera and Kalista can attack.

DM

The attack was expected and Jaliera only noticed the piercing yellow eyes of the powerful canine as the wolf charged from the bushes and jumps on Jaliera. It is fast, cunning and hungry. It manages to sink it's teeth into her arm.

Davroar was lighting the torch when he saw the wolf attack. A student of nature knows that wolves are pack animals. Where there's one, there are more.

wolf attacks Jaliera (att,dam)
Neptune rolled 1d20+4,2d4+2 and got 21, 8

Jaliera and Kalista can act this round but then we start another round.

Attached Images
trail2.jpg (210.7 KB, 5 downloads)
Neptune #842336 Wed 24/02/16 12:25 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

Dropping her bow, she draws her sword ready to attack the animal that is at close quarters with her. However rather than physically attack, she casts Sleep at it.

Neptune #842529 Thu 25/02/16 08:18 UTC
nem Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Chandan

He kips to his feet, flails around clumsily for a moment, then frowns and scrambles for a torch.

Chandan hears wolves, Jaliera being attacked, and focuses on lighting the scene so her companions can help her.

Neptune #842727 Fri 26/02/16 18:34 UTC
Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
Kalista - (ghosted)

As the wolf attacked, the tiefling reacted by pointing her finger at the animal and unleashing a fire bolt. She would have wanted to use a less lethal attack, but she was guessing that where there was one, there were others and she really only had one non-lethal spell that could stop them. She hoped that it wouldn't anger Davroar but Jaliera's safety was paramount. At the last moment Jaliera and the wolf both move and the bolt goes astray, missing the target. In some ways she's relieved.

Kalista Firebolt (hit, dam)
Neptune rolled 1d20+5,1d10 and got 9, 1

Neptune #842739 Fri 26/02/16 20:06 UTC
Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline

OOC: Sorry about this. Jaliera needs to make a Strength save, no bonus - so just 1d20 or be knocked prone from the attack. We won't bother with the points for the sleep because she decided to cast it against a single target and it'll snooze away. She would be able to affect 9d8 hp worth of critters and the wolf has 11.

BTW, the reason that I didn't have Kalista use sleep is because I think you'll want it after you see what happens....

Neptune #842889 Sun 28/02/16 15:57 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera Strength check
Gypsy rolled 1d20 and got 16

Neptune #843068 Tue 01/03/16 05:23 UTC
Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
DM
The lone wolf that attacked Jaliera fell asleep. There was a moment of silence and then, out of the black, the party was attacked. Four other wolves encircled the camp and now charged, all together. They were fast and had been eyeing the party as prey. Two attacked Kriv and perhaps the dragonborn was just a tad slow coming out of his slumber because one of the wolves managed to dig it's teeth into his neck and the other one bit him in the leg. The fighter was unlikely to stay up after another hit. Jaliera and Davroar are also both bitten but their wounds were not as critical as the bite Kriv suffered. The druid understood the tactics of these wolves. The had keen senses and probably followed a scent to this campsite. They attack using fear and chaos. That was why the first wolf, likely the alpha male, attacked first. The others followed his lead, and even though the alpha was asleep, they were not to be deterred. These were pack animals and they had an advantage when they attacked together.

Tough start of the first round here. I need DC 11 strength checks for Kalista, Kriv and Davroar. An adjusted 10 or lower means you are knocked prone. The wolf has advantage on attack rolls against a creature if at least one of the wolf's allies is within 5 feet of the creature and the ally isn't incapacitated. You all can go.

Party Random encounters 17-20 Neptune rolled 1d20,1d20,1d20,1d20 and got 8, 13, 1, 20
DM Night time encounter Neptune rolled 1d12 and got 9 (maps to Wolves)
DM Number of attackers Neptune rolled 1d4+2 and got 5
Wolves Stealth Neptune rolled 1d20+4 got 15
Kallista Active Perception Zeim rolled d20+3 and got 9
wolf initiative Neptune rolled 1d20+2 and got 21

Jaliera Initiative Gypsy rolled 1d20+3 and got 21
Kallista Initiative Zeim rolled d20+2 and got 17
Chan Valdan Musical solo, OK initiative nemarsde rolled 1d20+3 and got 6
Davroar Initiative Dugan rolled 1d20 and got 10
Kriv initiative AJ rolled 1d20+1 and got 12

Wolf-1 attacks Jaliera (att,dam) Neptune rolled 1d20+4,2d4+2 and got 21, 8
Jaliera Strength check Gypsy rolled 1d20 and got 16 - she's not prone
Jaliera Casts sleep Neptune rolled 9d8 and got 41
Kalista Firebolt (hit, dam) Neptune rolled 1d20+5,1d10 and got 9, 1 (miss)
Davroar Nature Neptune rolled 1d20 and got 11 (he knows that wolves use pack tactics and have keen senses)

Wolf 2 attacks Kriv w/advantage. damage Neptune rolled 1d20+4,1d20+4,2d4+2 and got 20, 24, 7 - crit!
Wolf-2 Crit damage Neptune rolled 2d4 and got 4
Wolf 3 attacks Kriv w/advantage. damage Neptune rolled 1d20+4,1d20+4,2d4+2 and got 15, 9, 6 - Hit
Wolf 4 attacks Kalista w/advantage. damage Neptune rolled 1d20+4,1d20+4,2d4+2 and got 10, 20, 7 - Hit
Wolf 5 attacks Davroar w/advantage. damage Neptune rolled 1d20+4,1d20+4,2d4+2 and got 22, 17, 9 - Hit

Code:
         Max/Dam - Status
Code:
Wolf-1    11/0 - Sleeping
Wolf-2    11/0 attacking Kriv
Wolf-3    11/0 attacking Kriv
Wolf-4    11/0 attacking Kalista
Wolf-5    11/0 attacking Davroar
Kriv      21/18
Jaleira   18/8
Chandan   24/0
Kallista  25/0  * Now AC +5 = 21 due to staff
Davroar   20/9

Attached Images
wolf-1.jpg (194.99 KB, 118 downloads)
Last edited by Neptune; Tue 01/03/16 20:48 UTC. Reason: Took off damage to Kalista
Neptune #843073 Tue 01/03/16 08:07 UTC
Administrator
Administrator
Davroar

He is knocked to the ground by the alpha wolf's attack on him, but knowing that there is more coming in to attack, Davroar will cast Thunderwave to hopefully drive the wolves away with the sound.

Davroar Strength check
Dugan rolled 1d20 and got 6

Neptune #843086 Tue 01/03/16 09:34 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
[OOC Love the pics on the map! smile There are two Kallistas and no Jaliera in the list of combatants! wink ]

Jaliera

That was close. And the sleep worked! Useful spell. It encourages her to try another as she is facing two wolves. She casts colour spray at them.

Last edited by Gypsy; Tue 01/03/16 09:34 UTC.
Neptune #843095 Tue 01/03/16 12:20 UTC
AJ Offline
Kriv

The Dragonborn gritted his teeth in a snarl, but stood his ground, firmly braced against the efforts of both canines. He focused his will, first inward, then outward, shrugging off his injuries then retaliating with devastating power and quickness.

Kriv Strength check (Proficient)
AJ rolled 1d20+5 and got 16
Kriv Bonus action, second wind
AJ rolled 1d10+3 and got 5 (regain 5 HP.)
Kriv Attack wolf 3 with maul
AJ rolled 1d20+5 and got 11
Kriv damage reroll 1 or 2
AJ rolled 1d6 1d6 and got 5, 3 (11 damage)
Action Surge
Kriv Attack Wolf 3 if still alive else wolf 2
AJ rolled 1d20+5 and got 9
Kriv damage reroll 1 or 2
AJ rolled 1d6 1d6 and got 2, 1
Kriv damage reroll
AJ rolled 1d6 1d6 and got 1, 2 (6 damage)

Neptune #843113 Tue 01/03/16 17:44 UTC
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Kallista

Once the first Wolf falls asleep to Jaliera's spell, they group is suddenly rushed by 4 more. One of them attacks her and as it tries to bite her she calls upon the power of her Staff. The Wolf's teeth rebound from a Shield of Force that springs up around her.

Spell: Shield, Abjuration, Level: 1
Casting time: Special
Range: Self
Components: V, S
Duration: 1 round

Reaction trigger: You are hit by an attack or targeted by the magic missile spell An invisible barrier of magical force appears and protects you. Until the start of your next turn, you have a +5 bonus to AC, including against the triggering attack, and you take no damage from magic missile.

(Nep - Please correct tactical for the reaction)

Taking stock, she points her finger at the Wolf that attacked her (#4). Four blue-white bolts of Force shoot out and strike the Wolf directly between it's eyes.

Kallista Magic Missile (2nd level)
Zeim rolled 4d4+4 and got 16 (Max Damage!)

Neptune #843136 Tue 01/03/16 20:46 UTC
Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
OOC: Zeim, I'm not sure about changing the map, but yeah. With that reaction, the wolf misses Kallista so she gets back her HPs. Did I miss something? Oh, and nice rolling. Do it again! Go ahead, I dare you!

Gypsy, I changed the list. Jaliera took 8 damage in the should-have-been-a-surprise-round-except-for-the-damned-owl round grin

BTW, the graphics are taken from Roll20 where we play quasi-FTF. I set up the tokens and then took a snapshot. I may suggest a real-time session in the near future. It'll be after I finish doing my taxes so it won't be until April/May. Hopefully we're done with this encounter by then <gd&r>.

By my calculations, wolf 3 is the only one not incapacitated or dead. Chandan has yet to go.

Last edited by Neptune; Wed 02/03/16 02:47 UTC. Reason: Chandan note:
Neptune #843250 Wed 02/03/16 08:09 UTC
nem Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Chandan

Dashing across the clearing, the old monk lunges at the wolf with his spear, then pulling the weapon back, he carries the momentum into a roundhouse kick.

[Chandan Attack wolf with spear and kick
nemarsde rolled 1d20+5,1d20+5 and got 9, 22
Chandan Damage from kick
nemarsde rolled 1d4+3 and got 5]

Neptune #843267 Wed 02/03/16 14:06 UTC
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
(OOC - Nep - My mistyping. No need to change tactical for Kallista's turn, other than to mark Wolf 4 dead. BTW, it appears to me that Jaliera used her Colour Spray on Wolf 2 and Wolf 1 (which was already asleep). Kallista killed Wolf 4. Chandan damaged Wolf 5. Kriv missed Wolf 3 with both attacks so pending Davroar's turn it looks like Wolf 3 and Wolf 5 are both up?)

Neptune #843290 Wed 02/03/16 18:34 UTC
Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
Davroar's Thunderwave will scrag Wolf 5. I'm going to have him step back to get 4+5 and yeah, 5 failed it's save. Resolving tonight.

Neptune #843400 Thu 03/03/16 13:36 UTC
Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
DM
Davroar takes a step back and then he tries to make the wolves move back as he calls upon a thunderous sonic wave to drive the wolves away. One resists somewhat but the blast shatters the blood vessels in the other wolf and he falls to the ground dead; it's entrails and inner organs having exploded. The only wound evident is the blood that pours from it's mouth and eyes. The wolf that had endured the thunderblast did not survive the magic missile that Kalista shot it with. The missile strikes it in the eyes and leaves the body without a head. Kriv draws from his inner strenght and stands up. Once on his feet he tries to ward off the two canines that are attacking him but his blade is unable to find a target. Meanwhile Jaliera, using less lethal attacks, calls forth a spray of light and color, blinding the wolf that is between her and Kriv. Chandan comes leaping at one of the wolves and his heal lands square in the side of the other wolf that is attacking Kriv, but it surives the attack. That leaves one blind wolf and one wolf that is asleep. The blind wolf stops attacking and is sniffing around, trying to use it's sense of smell to continue the attack. Somehow that's enough. The blind wolf manages to dig it's teeth deep into into Jaliera's neck. The young rogue is barely conscious after the attack.

Davroar Thunderwave damage
Neptune rolled 2d8 and got 12
Wolf 4,Wolf 5 Con save - thunderwave (DC 13)
Neptune rolled 1d20+1,1d20+1 and got 17, 2. Wolf 4 saves. Wolf 5 dies.
Kalista's magic missile obliterates Wolf 4.
Kriv stands, heals, misses twice (AC=13)
Jaliera blinds Wolf-2.

Next round starts
Wolf-3 attacks Kriv Neptune rolled 1d20+4,2d4+2 and got 11, 4 - Misses
Wolf-2 attacks Jaliera with disadvantage Neptune rolled 1d20+4,1d20+4,2d4+2 and got 18, 24, 9 - Hits (even with disadvantage) - 9 pts damage
Jaliera needs to make a DC 11 strength check to see if she's knocked prone.
Code:
         Max/Dam - Status
Code:
Wolf-1    11/0 - Sleeping
Wolf-2    11/0 - blind, attacking Jaliera
Wolf-3    11/5 - attacking Kriv
Wolf-4    DEAD
Wolf-5    DEAD
Kriv      21/13
Jaleira   18/17
Chandan   24/0
Kallista  25/0  * Now AC +5 = 21 due to staff
Davroar   20/9

Everyone can go. Actual order is Jaliera, Kalista, Kriv, Davroar then Chandan. The combat map is essentially the same, except for the two dead wolves. Davroar is standing where the torch is.

Neptune #843431 Thu 03/03/16 21:58 UTC
AJ Offline
Kriv hammers wolf 3
AJ rolled 1d20+5 and got 6

(Now to see if it dies before he swings.)

Neptune #843440 Thu 03/03/16 23:05 UTC
nem Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Chandan

Wolves. He hadn't understood the fear people had of them until he ventured off of his mountain. They are far more daring and voracious than the leopards and bears that prowl the high places.

With the others tackling the animals themselves, Chandan will skid over to Jaliera to staunch her wounds if needed.

Neptune #843502 Fri 04/03/16 12:34 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

She is hurting badly but she is also fighting for her life. Her best spells expended and facing a blinded opponent, her bow on the floor, she instinctively stabs with the sword in her hand, hoping to kill the wolf, especially as he will not see the attack coming!

Jaliera Sword
Gypsy rolled 1d20+5,1d8+3 and got 13, 7

Last edited by Gypsy; Fri 04/03/16 12:35 UTC.
Neptune #843504 Fri 04/03/16 13:35 UTC
Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
Gypsy, Jaliera hit, but the "blindness" means you attack twice (advantage) to try and hit it. So you should have rolled 1d20+5,1d20+5,1d8+3 and I would take the better of the 2 d20 rolls. You don't have to roll again since you hit, but that's for future reference. The blind condition means it attacks with disadvantage and you attack with advantage.

I still need the 1d20 strength roll. It might not matter, but it's good for the color.

BTW, Neil, there's a voracious wolf chowing down on Jaliera, about to kill her. Are you sure you don't want to attack it?

Neptune #843517 Fri 04/03/16 14:39 UTC
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
(OOC - Gypsy - You might want to roll again just to see if you can get a Crit.)

Kallista

Ignoring the Wolf near her as it is focused on Kriv, and he is better prepared to fight something like this hand-to-hand then Jaliera, she points a finger at the wolf on their young thief and 3 blue-white darts of energy fly forth.

(OOC - Nep - If the one on Jaliers dies before she goes she will change targets to the one on Kriv)

Kallista Magic Missile (1st level)
Zeim rolled 3d4+3 and got 8

Last edited by Zeim; Fri 04/03/16 14:42 UTC.
Neptune #843533 Fri 04/03/16 18:00 UTC
nem Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
[Nep, I do if it's still alive but odds are the others will gib it. If not, Chandan will certainly attack.]

Neptune #843643 Sat 05/03/16 03:31 UTC
Administrator
Administrator
Davroar

With two of the wolves killed he turns to find Jaliera looking in bad shape with one wolf still attacking her.

Quickly he moves in to Jaliera's left side to strike at the wolf with his quarterstaff.

Davroar Attack on blind wolf #2
Dugan rolled 1d20,1d20,1d8 and got 19, 2, 5 damage

Neptune #843676 Sat 05/03/16 14:48 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
[OOC Forgot about the advantage roll smile Rerolled & strength but no change.]

Jaliera Sword, Strength
Gypsy rolled 1d20+5,1d20 and got 11, 5

Neptune #844070 Mon 07/03/16 19:40 UTC
Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
DM

Jaliera is knocked down by the blind wolf that had attacked her. Just as it was going to start eating her neck, the young rogue stabs the beast in the belly and it lets out a howl but Davroar ends it's noise by smacking it in the head, killing it and sparing Jaliera.

Kriv swings his blade ineffectually and misses the other wolf and just as it turns to attack him again, Kallista blasts it with bolts of magic and it drops, smoke rising from the wound that the magic missile that killed it.

Chandan is right by Jaliera's side to push the canine corpse off of her and see what he can do to stop the bleeding. The wolves are all dead or asleep.

Nice little encounter there. If we were tracking XP's, this would have earned 250 xpts for the team which is 50 each. Note that in terms of difficulty for a 5-PC 3rd level encounter, this was easier than easy. See this chart from the DMG:
Code:
Level Easy Medium Hard Deadly
lst    25    50    75    100
2nd    50   100   150    200
3rd    75   150   225    400

That's what a DM should use to build an encounter. So, if there were 3 1st level PCs, 1 2nd level and 1 3rd level, the experience point budget for an easy encounter would be:
(25x3) + (50x1) + (75x1) = 200. This party is five 3rd levels so an "easy" encounter would be 375. Naturally the near surprise, and the darkness and a rare initiative roll win factored into the encounter. There's a factor I didn't add in and that's "multiple foe multipliers". In this case it would double the XP budget from 250 to 500. 500 would be somewhere between easy and medium difficulty. Maybe that's acurate? What do you think?

Neptune #844107 Mon 07/03/16 21:56 UTC
nem Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
[Probably about right, though it's not obvious how hard an encounter is with D&D even afterwards. Encounters are a form of attrition. In D&D 5e, hit points are eroded, but I don't know what else.]

Neptune #844146 Tue 08/03/16 00:40 UTC
Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
I posted that to give you guys a glimpse into the math that was derived from the play-test which was used to create the 5th edition game. I kinda think WOTC did a good job with the math in this edition. I'm starting to run higher levels in our face-to-face game and how the math holds up there is a critical issue for me. 4th Edition broke after about 8th. And I think 3.5 broke for me at about 3rd wink

Neptune #844150 Tue 08/03/16 00:59 UTC
Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Neptune, Zeim 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Talon475, Randal Trimmer, Kimf, Yvon, Xiang Chin
177 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Member Spotlight
Pit Friend
Pit Friend
Midland, MI USA
Forum Statistics
Forums103
Topics2,815
Posts139,440
Members177
Most Online296
Jan 19th, 2020
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
†Restricted forums can only be accessed by DreamLyrics members of the age of 18 years or older. Access which is granted by the Behind Closed Doors Procedure.
™DreamLyrics Play-by-Post. DreamLyrics Play-by-Post does not own copyright on DreamLyrics texts or graphics, except trademarked DreamLyrics logos and logotypes. The works contained in DreamLyrics are copyrighted (automatically, under the Berne Convention) by the original authors and may be available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence. (See Copyrights for details.)
Privacy Policy