Eye of the Dragon
DreamLyrics Play-by-Post
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 10 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Dice Roller
You will need to enable Javascript in order to view the Dice Roller.
Games Recruiting List

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 15 16
#840512 Mon 08/02/16 04:00 UTC
Chaotic Obfuscator
OP Offline
Chaotic Obfuscator
Cats knew this day as something special. All Hallow's Eve offered a day and a night when the world between this, and that became much thinner. Spirits could reach out and touch the living, talk with loved ones, and exact revenge. Cats knew to be much more vigilant during this time to protect their burdens.

The yard that Jayden was ratting up, was actually in good shape. Some leaves had fallen since the last time someone had raked them. But it was his turn, so being the new, diligent owner, he was doing his duty.

The spirit floated near his descendant, but was mostly oblivious to the world around it. Grandpa if that is what he was, seemed content to enjoy a nice fall day, in the way he could enjoy it, of course.

Tiger-Lily was keeping him company. The wind had just picked up as the afternoon set into their little hamlet.

Next door Shadow was out in the yard and stalking prey. [OOC: Your hunt, you pick what kind.]

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Tiger-Lily

Sitting there she watches all around. With her and the spirit, her burden is well supported. The wind keeps catching the leaves at the top of the pile, teasing her. Suddenly she can't resist and dives into the pile to catch some.

AJ Offline
Shadow

A non-sentient winged one, pecking at the soil, had Shadow keeping the wind on his side as he approached, intensely focused, low to the ground. He had a lot of territory to cover, to say nothing of his burdens, and this would provide a useful perimeter marker with its death.

Chaotic Obfuscator
OP Offline
Chaotic Obfuscator
The spirit stiffened at something neither cat could sense. Jayden feels a dark dagger of ice to his heart. It passes quickly, but it was painful.

Jayden

He enjoyed the physical effort of raking leaves and sprucing up the yard but, even with work gloves, his palms were starting to sting and burn with incipient blisters.

Then he stopped, dropping his rake and clutching at his chest, wincing at the sudden stab of pain. But then it was gone, almost quickly enough to make him wonder whether he'd really experienced the pain. Jayden rubbed his chest and looked around, thoroughly puzzled.

Chaotic Obfuscator
OP Offline
Chaotic Obfuscator
The spirit hissed at the playing Tiger-Lily saying "something is terribly wrong. Much evil is afoot."

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Tiger-Lily

She freezes in mid jump, landing slightly awkwardly, her head looking around for a threat and she sees her burden in discomfort. She runs towards him.

"What happened?" she hisses at the spirit.

Has she failed again? She cannot lose another burden.

Chaotic Obfuscator
OP Offline
Chaotic Obfuscator
The spirit says "I am not sure. I sensed nothing, but then I did. It felt like a spirit tried to reach in and take his heart. I stopped it, but I do not know where it came from."

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Tiger-Lily/Dizzy

This is worrying. She hadn't sensed anything.. but then she had been distracted. She rubs around her burden's legs in apology.

She thinks that maybe Jayden should carry one of her wards.. but somehow, even if the spirit tells him too, she can't think he will. He has not been very happy with the few he has found in and around the house.

She doesn't know what to do. Maybe there is someone around to ask? She meows loudly to see if any of the other cats are in hearing.

Jayden

The pain was gone but an odd, almost spooky feeling aftermath of the experience, real or not, still lingered and he stood there, gaze unfocused, rubbing at his chest until distracted by his cat.

Jayden squatted, grunted as his left knee popped in protest, and rubbed Dizzy behind her ears and, when she looked up at him, meowing, he stroked her throat (with the grain of her fur, of course - she'd bit him one time when he'd stroked her fur against the grain).

"You okay, Dizzy?"

Chaotic Obfuscator
OP Offline
Chaotic Obfuscator
[OOC Waiting for Shadow and or DC to respond.]

AJ Offline
Shadow

Events outside his territory or regarding a Burden that belonged to another of the True People were of no concern to him without invitation, and the spirit in question had not communicated with him. He had no reason to stop his current activities.

Chaotic Obfuscator
OP Offline
Chaotic Obfuscator
Down and across the street a little old lady collapsed in her yard. Another cat called for assistance.

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Tiger-Lily/Dizzy

No response to her calls. And she cannot be away from her burden unless she has a really good reason. She accepts his caressed but is still tense.

Then there is a call from another cat.

Is something happening? Is this the big event?

"Stay alert."

She looks up at the spirit.

AJ Offline
Shadow

A call for presence was one thing, but a call for assistance worth breaking off a hunt for. He wanted to refresh his territorial wards, but they would hopefully hold for the moment. Staying low, he slinked off towards the request for aid.

Chaotic Obfuscator
OP Offline
Chaotic Obfuscator
The spirit gave it's agreement.

Jayden could hear the sounds of a siren far off but coming closer, an ambulance, probably.

Down and across the street a cat stands over her old lady burden, meowing in anguish.

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Tiger-Lily/Dizzy

She runs to the end of the yard, looking over at the other cat. She sees Shadow heading over.

"Call if you need me, my burden has suffered an attack too. His spirit protector helped."

She is obviously torn by the cry for help and her own duty.

AJ Offline
Shadow

Looking over at Tiger-Lily, he murred,

"Sounds like a pattern. I must check on my burdens after this, see if the wards are holding."

Onward towards the anguished cat.

Jayden

Hearing the sound of the approaching siren, Jayden lurched upward to his feet, grunting as his left knee popped. He didn't see the fire truck or ambulance, but he did see...

Jayden took off running toward what he thought was a person lying on the ground, a cat complaining cat-like over her.

Chaotic Obfuscator
OP Offline
Chaotic Obfuscator
The old woman is pale and has a fine sheen of perspiration on her face.

The cat says "she suffered an attack of some kind. It came at her like a spirit though I sensed nothing."

The sirens approached. Jayden noted them stop a few blocks down.

AJ Offline
Shadow

Very quietly, given the presence of burdens,

"It lives?"

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Tiger-Lily

Well that solved one issue. She takes off after her burden, easily catching him as cat's run faster than most humans.

She looks worryingly at the old female burden, it brings back memories of Miss Amy.

"This is bad. Something attacked my burden too."

Jayden

He knelt next to the pale, perspiring old woman and saw that she was alive. He glanced down the street and saw, to his confusion, the ambulance stopping a few blocks away.

"Damn it, I thought they..."

The cats yowled or meowed or something'd low in their throats but Jayden didn't have time to worry about them. Perhaps they just sensed something was wrong.

He stood up and, without conscious thought, ran toward the ambulance, waving and yelling to get the paramedics attention.

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Tiger=Lily/Dizzy

She watches her burden run towards the flashing thing and looks to make sure his spirit goes with him. She turns to Shadow.

"What can we do? We need to do something."

AJ Offline
Shadow

He licked the interstices of his front left paw as he drew up his thoughts in order.

"Top priority, keep these attacks from killing our Burdens. Next, hunt the attackers and remove them from our territories. Finally, meet up with the other True People to prevent this being possible again. I have strong wards layered up around mine. Is your burden safe with that spirit? I need to see if mine are safe..."

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 15 16

Moderated by  Pandemonium 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Talon475, Randal Trimmer, Kimf, Yvon, Xiang Chin
177 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Member Spotlight
TennesseeMaiden
TennesseeMaiden
Tiptonville, TN
Forum Statistics
Forums103
Topics2,815
Posts139,451
Members177
Most Online296
Jan 19th, 2020
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
†Restricted forums can only be accessed by DreamLyrics members of the age of 18 years or older. Access which is granted by the Behind Closed Doors Procedure.
™DreamLyrics Play-by-Post. DreamLyrics Play-by-Post does not own copyright on DreamLyrics texts or graphics, except trademarked DreamLyrics logos and logotypes. The works contained in DreamLyrics are copyrighted (automatically, under the Berne Convention) by the original authors and may be available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence. (See Copyrights for details.)
Privacy Policy