Eye of the Dragon
DreamLyrics Play-by-Post
Who's Online Now
1 members (Art in the Blood), 4 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Dice Roller
You will need to enable Javascript in order to view the Dice Roller.
Games Recruiting List

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
Am starting a sticky to list all the items of interest you have heard. We're all busy and this way you'll not have to remember a passing comment that might have been critical:

- Gundren - Dwarven patron/friend of all of you, who started you on this journey. Captured by Goblins. Knows location of Lost Wave Echo Cave. You were told by Barthen that Gundren's brothers were camping somewhere outside of town. He expected them to come in for supplies any day.

- Wave Echo Cave - Legendary Cave once the center of an alliance between dwarves, humans, and gnomes. Contained great wealth and magical power focused in the "Forge of Spells" which could be used to create magic items. Orcs attacked it hundreds of years ago and it's location was lost.

- Cragmaw Castle - You were told by Sildar that is where Gundren was taken, along with his map to the Lost Wave Echo Cave. No one you've spoken to yet knows where that might be.

- Black Spider - you were told by Sildar that he heard this unknown person had given orders to the bugbear at the Goblin cave to waylay Gundren and capture him and send him to Cragmaw Castle.

- Iarno Albrek - Sildar's contact in Phandalin. Iarno went ahead of Sildar to help establish order in the town but Sildar hasn't heard from him since. Turns out he's one and the same as Glasstaff.

- Redbrand Ruffians - You've been told by several townspeople that this is a gang of troublemakers who shake down the merchants and generally cause problems for everyone. You learned that they hang out at the Sleeping Giant. Their lair has been identified as Tresander Manor.

Sleeping Giant - a tavern on the east end of the town where the Redbrands hang out.

Tresander Manor - an abandoned manor that now lies in ruins on the east end of town. It's believed to be the lair of the Redbrands.

- Daran Eldermath - Rumoured to be a former adventurer. Now runs the town orchard. Davroar saw him inside his home and saw a banner of the Order of the Gauntlet hanging there. The aged warrior eagerly shared tales of battles with giants and dragons and Davroar listened patiently these to his tales of adventure. And as time passed, Daren brought up recent stories about prospectors in the hills to the northeast of Phandelin who were digging around in the ruins of the Old Owl Well. The reports were that these prospectors were chased away by undead. "The ruins are an old watchtower of an ancient magical empire called Netheril," he told Davroar. "I am worried that there is dangerous magic lying dormant in those ruins. It would take brave adventurers to take care of this problem. It is only a few days northeast of here. If you would visit the ruins and find out who's there and what they are up to, it would be greatly appreciated."

- Qelline Alderleaf - halfling farmer. Mother of Carp. She seems to know everything that goes on in town.

- Carp - Qelline's son. Innkeepers son Pip claimed Carp had found some sort of secret tunnel in the woods outside of town. He saw Redbrands meet bandits outside it.

- Reidoth - A druid friend of Qelline Alderleaf. She claims "There's not an inch of this land he doesn't know" and that if the party is looking for any specific places, they should find him. He recently set out for the ruins of the city of Thundertree.

- Ruins of Thundertree - Where the party could find Reidoth the druid. A person with intimate knowledge of the area. He might provide guidance as to the location of Gundren and his mine. Potential Quest

- Toblen Stonehill - Owns and runs the Stonehill inn.

- Elsa - Chatty barmaid at the Stonehill Inn.

- Pip Stonehill - Innkeepers son. Has a friend named Carp Alderleaf.

- Trilena Stonehill - Innkeepers wife. Told you that Redbrands had killed Thel Drendar, a local woodcarver, and carried off his wife and daughter.

- Thel Drendar - a local woodcarver killed by the Redbrands. His body was taken away and his wife and daughter are missing.

- Sister Garaele - Cleric of Tymora who maintains the Town Shrine. Rumour she had gone out of town and returned wounded and hurt. She has asked the party to visit the lair of Agatha the banshee and trade her a silver comb for information about a legendary spellbook. Reward: 4 potions of healing

- Sildar Hallwinter - Companion to Gundren. Claims to be coming to Phandalin in order to help establish order there. Looking for a companion who arrived ahead of him named Iarno Albrek. He has taken over as town master, replacing Harbin Wester. He asks you to investigate the manor and bring back Iarno - or what's left of him. He says that you'll recognize him as a short, dark bearded human man in his mid-30's. Also, take care of the Redbrand problem, Reward of 200 GP.

- Harbin Wester - The fat, pompous town master. He doesn't think the Redbrands are a problem and wants the party to chase down orcs. Reward: 100 gp, 10 gp in advance.

- Thalia Thornton - Runs the miner's exchange. Has taken a liking to Kalista. Thinks the Redbrands are a big problem and wants the party to take out it's leader, Glastaff and to bring her any papers that might be found in the leader's chambers. Reward: 100 gold pieces

- Kost - The Red Wizard of Thay, a necromancer, commands zombies at the Old Owl Tower. Has asked you to get rid of the nearby orcs and to ask Agatha, the banshee, the name of the wizard that build the Old Owl Tower. Reward: He will answer Daran Eldermath's question.

Agatha - a banshee. See Sister Garaele and Kost.

Last edited by Neptune; Tue 05/04/16 14:21 UTC. Reason: Kost, Agatha
Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
Sildar

"Well, maybe if I tell the whole story it might help."

"I met Grundren Rockseeker in Neverwinter and that's where I agreed to accompany him back to Phandalin. I had my own business there and so it made sense."

"Grundren is one of three brothers. Tharden and Nundro are the other two. They recently located an entrance to the long-lost Wave Echo Cave, the site of the mines of the Phandelver's Pact. You probably don't know much about that so let me share."

"More than five hundred years ago, clans of dwarves and gnomes made an agreement known as the Phandelver's Pact, by which they would share a rich mine in a wonderous cavern known as the Wave Echo Cave. In addition to its mineral wealth, the mine contained great magical power. Human spellcasters allied themselves with the dwarves and gnomes to channel and bind that energy into a great forge called the Forge of Spells, where magic items could be crafted. Times wer good, and the nearby human town of Phandelin propered as well. But then disaster struch when orcs swept through the North and laid waste to all in their path."

"A powerful force of orcs reinforced by evil mercenary wizards attacked Wave Echo Cave to seize its riches and magic treasures. Human wizards fought alongside their dwarf and gnome allies to defend the Forge of Spells, and the ensuing spell battled destroyed much of the cavern. Few survived the cave-ins and tremors, and the location of Wave Echo Cave was lost."

"Klarg, the bugbear that you killed, had orders to waylay Grundren. I heard from the goblins that the "Black Spider" sent word that the dwarf was to be brought to him. I know your next question and I'm sorry, I don't know any more about this Black Spider."

"What I do know is that Grunden had a map showing the secret location of Wave Echo cave, but the goblins took it when they captured us. I believe that Klarg sent the map and the dwarf to the chief of the Cragmaw's at a place called Cragmaw Castle."

"I have a contact in Phandalin that I want to find. I intend to continue on to there. It's not far."

Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
Treasure
160 sp, 120 gp, 5 malachite gems 15 gp each, 2 potions of healing, scroll of augury
+1 longsword "Talon", Black Hawk's blade.

180 sp, 130 gp, a silk pouch with five opaque reddish gems (carnelians worth 10 gp each), two clear lime-green gems (peridots worth 15 gp each), and a white opaque gem (pearl worth 100 gp). 2 scrolls. Charm person, Fireball

The materials in the three glass bottles are a silvery liquid (mercury), a light and opaque liquid (dragon bile) and a dark powder (nightshade). She determines that each bottle could fetch 25 gp from an apothecary or alchemist.

75 cp, 55 sp, 22 ep, 15 gp, adn a gold earing set with a tiny ruby worth 30 gp

Kalista is holding onto the wizard's glass staff which is a staff of defense.
50 gold pieces, a full set of clothing and two stoppered flasks which you have NOT identified.

Forge of Spells
In the wizards lab and what they find are notes and books are scattered all around this room. They are texts on alchemy. Someone trained in Arcana may give me a roll for more details.

Among the books is one that seems of interest, particularly because the group is searching for Gundren. It's written in Dwarvish. Chandan can read that languange and can tell right away that it's the journal of an adventurer named Urmon and it describes the history of the Lost Mine of Phandelver and something called the "Forge of Spells".

Quote:
"More than five hundred years ago, clans of dwarves and gnomes made an agreement known as the Phandelver's Pact, by which they would share a rich mine in a wonderous cavern known as the Wave Echo Cave. In addition to it's mineral wealth, the mine contained great magical power. Human spellcasters allied themselves with the dwarves and gnomes to channel and bind that energy into a great forge (called the Forge of Spells), where magic items could be crafted. Times were good, and the nearby human town of Phandalin prospered well. But then disaster struck and laid waste to all in their path.

A powerful force of orcs reinforced by evil mercenary wizards attacked Wave Echo Cave to seize its riches and magic treasures. Human wizards fought alongside their dwarf and gnome allies to defend the Forge of Spells, and the ensuing spell battle destroyed much of the cavern. Few survived the cave-ins and tremors, and the location of Wave Echo Cave was lost."

You also found this letter:
Quote:
Lord Albrek,
My spies in Neverwinter tell me that strangers are due to arrive in Phandelin. They could be working for the dwarves. Capture them if you can, kill them if you must, but don't allow them to upset our plans. See that any dwarven maps in their posession are delivered to me with haste. I'm counting on you, Iarno. Don't disappoint me.
(Spider symbol)

Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
Chandan

Out of darkness, came the lurid light of unwanted memories.

Chandan waded across a wide, foaming river, in a deep valley cut through immense mountains.

Rain poured, whipped by a biting wind.

Above the rumbling spray, a baby cried. The old monk patted the bundle, slung under his chest, clinging to the haft of a military spear with his other hand.

Now used as a walking stick, it was taken from two horseman who were patrolling the roads, hunting for any more survivors from his district.

Chandan had slain the previous owner, unseating the soldier mid-charge with a flying kick. The soldier's horse had fled along with his comrade.

But there were more spears, just like it, arrayed on the eastern shore. Nadu's soldiers.

So Chandan tucked in his chin, smiled warmly at his small, noisy burden, and pushed on through the waters.

Huffing with exertion, the wizened old man now struggled through deep snow, still clinging to spear and baby.

And the baby still cried, the sound echoing in the thin air, as they traversed the saddle between two white peaks.

Chandan's saffron scarf was coiled around his face and neck, and ice matted his grey hair. His eyes were focused on the western horizon, growing less distinct with every step as a blizzard approached.

The monk's free arm craddled the baby and drew it a little closer.

Chandan shuffled, hunched beneath the fierce gaze of the desert sun.

His saffron scarf was now wrapped around his head, hiding all but his eyes, his body hung with ragged robes and he relied heavily upon his spear.

The baby cried. Its bundle worn, slung in the shadow cast by the monk's own body.

The unhappy sound seemed to travel far across the Desert of Desolation.

The monk faltered, looking around for signs of life. None. He sang instead, merely a dry whisper, to soothe the poor child.

Breaking through the stiff grass, Chandan rocked the baby with one arm, picking out every step with his spear.

He saw the shimmer of river waters ahead, and verdant lowlands beyond.

Under a spring blue sky, the old monk staggered down the hill. The baby cried but he comforted it.

"There now, Giant Voice, we have made it. Faerûn, where the bad men won't follow."

On his last legs, Chandan approached water-bearers on the banks, women of a nearby village, gathering water. Their elderly priest watched over them, blessing the waters, and was first to step up to speak to the stranger.

With the women crowding around, the priest asked:

"Who are you, from where do you come?"

Chandan understood the language well enough, though the accent was very different.

"I am Chandan, and this is Giant Voice, and we have come far. Can you help us?" He begged, "This rascal needs sustenance."

The women leaned in as the priest did, but then gasped and stepped back, uttering shocked prayers.

The priest though, he took the bundle carefully from the monk. The tiny face was withered and ghastly coloured, lifeless.

"I am sorry Chandan, but this babe has been dead for days, weeks even."

Confused, Chandan stared at the corpse, knowing corpses better than most, having spent much of his life conducting sky burials.

After a long minute, he nodded, and smiled kindly at the priest in comprehension.

"I see." He said, simply.

The priest gestured for the women to return to their business, quit their gawking, then said a quiet prayer for the child.

"We will commit this child's body to the Mother of the Waters for you. Will you come?"

Chandan swayed, then resumed his walk. He walked passed the priest and along the river bank, he walked westwards, a road that took him to a port, that took him to sea, ever westwards, alone but for a baby's cry.

-Nep

Moderated by  Neptune, Zeim 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Talon475, Randal Trimmer, Kimf, Yvon, Xiang Chin
177 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Member Spotlight
Forum Statistics
Forums103
Topics2,813
Posts139,428
Members177
Most Online296
Jan 19th, 2020
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
†Restricted forums can only be accessed by DreamLyrics members of the age of 18 years or older. Access which is granted by the Behind Closed Doors Procedure.
™DreamLyrics Play-by-Post. DreamLyrics Play-by-Post does not own copyright on DreamLyrics texts or graphics, except trademarked DreamLyrics logos and logotypes. The works contained in DreamLyrics are copyrighted (automatically, under the Berne Convention) by the original authors and may be available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence. (See Copyrights for details.)
Privacy Policy