Eye of the Dragon
DreamLyrics Play-by-Post
Who's Online Now
1 members (Argus), 37 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Dice Roller
You will need to enable Javascript in order to view the Dice Roller.
Games Recruiting List

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#832743 Tue 15/12/15 22:34 UTC
Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
DM

The party returns to town, the prisoner in tow. People peer out of their windows or stop in their daily activities to stare at the strange procession.

As the party passes the Woodcarver's house the two women and the boy come out of their home. The mother spits on Iarno as the boy hurls an apple at him. The daughter screams and curses at him as you move by but quiets down and stops to thank the five heroes.

By the time the party reaches the Townmaster's Hall they have quite a bit of a retinue. Small boys and adults follow behind at a respectful, if inquisitive distance and only stop when the party enters the building, heading to Sildar's office.

Entering the office it seems word has traveled quickly, as Sildar seems to know what and who you are bringing to him. His face is grim, but composed. He nods to you as you enter.

"My thanks." He offers to you. "Both for finding Iarno and stopping the Redbrand threat. I am ashamed to find out that a member of the Lord's Alliance, the very same Iarno who was sent here to establish law and order, was the leader of the threat."

He turns to two men to one side of the room and says, "Take the prisoners to the cells in the basement. I will make arrangements to have them transported to Neverwinter for trial."

It seems Sildar has not be idle while you were away and has begun to recruit locals into a constabulary of sorts.

Iarno opens his mouth in protest. "But Sildar! You know me! I had no choice. The Spider forced me into it!"

Sildar's mouth compresses to a thin line. "There is always a choice, Iarno. You took the coward's way out and people suffered because of it. You will stand trial for your crimes. Take him away." He orders the men.

Iarno is shuffled off through a door to the cells below.

Turning back to you, Sildar reaches into a desk drawer and removes a sack of coins and hands it over. "200 gp, as promised." He says. "Have you leaned anything that might lead to finding Gundren or this Cragmaw Castle?"

Neptune #832782 Thu 17/12/15 09:54 UTC
nem Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Chandan

On the walk back, Chandan explains to Kriv that the fight with the unarmed men in the gaol wasn't meant to be a fight but an execution. (But now he knows why executioners bind the hands of their charges!)

He is quiet on the road through the village, but tells Sildar what he knows, with emphasis on the unaccounted 12 other persons the Redbrands might have enslaved; their discarded clothes as evidence.

It's a rather perculiar exchange of coin too, returning the town's money on the one hand, and receiving their reward on the other.

There's much to do in Phandelver environs, but at least the town itself belongs to the townsfolk again, and from the sounds of it, the Lord's Alliance will be responsible superintendents.

To Iarno he says nothing. Words would be wasted on the villain, and what else can they glean from him but more lies.

Sildar asks about Gundren and Cragmaw Castle, and that is where they must focus their efforts now.

"No, proofs of what we know, but locations of Cragmaw Castle and Wave Echo Cave still a mystery." He says, giving the new townmaster a regretful shrug.

You win some, you lose some, but most days you get a bit of both.

Neptune #832786 Thu 17/12/15 12:03 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Online Content
Wizop
Administrator
Jailera

She listens to Chandan speak and then adds another piece of information.

"We did see one Redbrand make his escape and not long ago. He may well be desperate and you might want to warn the townsfolk. If he could be apprehended here it would aid us in that it would prevent him from giving others advance warning of our interest in these places."

Neptune #832788 Thu 17/12/15 12:47 UTC
AJ Offline
Kriv

He is exceedingly brusque with the vagrant's mewling justifications, giving them short shrift as they make their way back.

At Sildar's question,

"A Bugbear, Mosk one-eye, surrendered and offered to lead us there. Iarno had him murdered by his redbrands, who were waiting in ambush, prior to making a last, desperate escape attempt. Such loyalty to the Spider belies his self-justification: Let him be judged harshly so that all may see the fate of scofflaws and turncloaks. A setback, but not an insurmountable one."

Neptune #832793 Thu 17/12/15 15:51 UTC
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Kallista

After dropping Iarno off with Sildar, she nods as Kriv notes that their one potential lead to Cragmaw Castle died with the Bugbear.

"I am going to stop by the Miner's Exchange. Perhaps it would pay to talk to a few others in town and see if we can pick up any leads?"

Neptune #832815 Fri 18/12/15 01:59 UTC
Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
OOC: I updated the N- News, Quests, Rumous, Leads, Persons & Items of Interest thread with the treasure and information that you got in the Redbrand Hideout. You should go back and read it. There are reminders of what your next options are. You don't all have to go to the same places.

Neptune #832820 Fri 18/12/15 06:15 UTC
Administrator
Administrator
Davroar

He is glad to get Iarno off their hands and into Sildar's control. He will remind Sildar that Iarno may still has furry familiar nearby and that it is well-trained to fetch keys. Hopefully the gaoler will keep the keeps safe enough that will make any escape attempt less likely to happen.

When Jailera mentions the one Redbrand that ran away, Davroar will add, "After some rest, I could try and pick up the mans scent. A desperate man should not be too hard to run down with my four paws chasing him."

[ooc: If no one objects may Davroar take the waterproof stachel itself (not the contents) that was used to hold the hidden treasure found in the cistern? ]

Neptune #832838 Fri 18/12/15 12:34 UTC
nem Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Chandan

He considers Davroar's offer from a third person perspective. It seems likely that the Lord's Alliance could find extensive, ongoing use for the party in Phandelvin.

But they have a dwarf to rescue, a dwarf held captive and possibly tortured for information. Only only is Gundren's life at stake, but the Lost Mines of Phandelver and the Forge of Spells. So Chandan thinks they must be wary about distractions. Focus is what their quest needs most.

With that in mind, he says, "Two paths we might take, leading us to our goal.

"We could seek the orcs at Wyvern Tor, extract directions to Cragmaw Castle from them.

"Or we could travel to Thundertree and ask Reidoth the Druid. He should know."

The monk scratches his scalp.

"I think Thundertree would be quicker and less chancy. Whichever we choose, we should restock on fortifying beverages first."

Neptune #832842 Fri 18/12/15 13:07 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Online Content
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

"I was wondering about the druid. I think it would be a good idea to talk to him. Davroar should be along for this. Perhaps we should all go?"

She pauses.

"Also like to check with the store owner to see if Gundren's brothers have been seen."

Neptune #832853 Fri 18/12/15 16:07 UTC
Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
DM

As the group huddles up to discuss matters, Sildar turns back to the piles of paperwork on his desk, staying out of the discussion. For a moment he locks eyes with Kriv and then Chandan and nods before turning back to his paperwork. The two get the sense that Sildar wants to talk to them in private.

OOC: Two things.
First, I'm adding a spellbook, because Zeim did. It wasn't in the module but as far as we're concerned, that's an omission.

Second, this is the part of the module where "factions" invite people into their ranks. In a FTF, real life game it's probably easier to lay out hints. I've decided to remove some of the guess work but let you role play it out. Some of you recorded your choice. Chandan didn't but maybe he'll accept an invitation from the Lord's Alliance. There are other connections in town. I think Kallista indicated a desire to see one specifically. Ummm, she's a Zhent so anyone else that's aspiring to be a Zhent might want to tag along there. And it doesn't take much to guess who'll be the Emerald Enclave contact. I don't think we have Harper or Order of the Gauntlet recruits in this group.

Neptune #832859 Fri 18/12/15 18:13 UTC
nem Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Chandan

The smelly vagabond nods at Jaliera's suggestion.

"I will go with you to Thundertree." He says, before following Sildar out onto the balcony.

"The day ends better for this town than the day before." Chandan says to the old warrior.

Neptune #832861 Fri 18/12/15 20:22 UTC
AJ Offline
Kriv

Human body language was not a strong suit, but the intent was clear enough. He followed Sildar.

Neptune #832865 Fri 18/12/15 21:17 UTC
Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
Sildar with Kriv and Chandan

Kriv and Chandan approach the man that has taken charge of the town while the others discuss their next steps.

"From what I was told by Mirna Dendrar, the woodcarver's widow, the two of you handled most of the enforcing. She had come here to sing your praises. But I've already witnessed your bravery and am here to tell about it because of what you did to help rescue me from the goblins. I've spoken about having been sent here by the Lord's Alliance and I think both of you would be great additions to our faction. So I am inviting you to join our ranks."

"We are headed by a coalition of rulers from cities across Faerûn such as Waterdeep, Silverymoon and Neverwinter who collectively agree that some solidarity is needed to keep evil at bay. We could use heroes like you out in the world to accomplish these goals. Do you have any questions?"

Neptune #832872 Fri 18/12/15 22:53 UTC
nem Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Chandan

Listening with a pensive look, the wizened old man bows his head respectfully to Sildar.

"Your acknowledgment is a great honour, but I am merely a wandering vagabond. If the Lords' Alliance protects people from the forces of evil, then... they will find we are already on the same side." He says.

"And if you ever need my help, Sildar, you will have it."

Chandan thinks Kriv might be more suited to such a formal role, but the dragonborn doesn't need the monk's commendation; Sildar has already seen that Kriv can get results.

With a sincere and amiable smile to both, he backs out and leaves them to discuss.

Neptune #832877 Sat 19/12/15 00:08 UTC
AJ Offline
Kriv

He watched the vagabond depart impassively, cold and loveless reptilian eyes staying on his back until he was out of sight. Returning to Sildar, he weighed his words carefully as he replied,

"The Lord's Alliance is known at Norixius Keep, and is well thought of. I am inclined to accept your offer. I would know more of the local Lord's Alliance structure, chain of command, any ongoing matters, other personnel in the area. Given what happened with Iarno, it would be a comfort to know there were no others who had proven susceptible to this 'spider' or those like him."

Neptune #832963 Sun 20/12/15 19:29 UTC
Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
Sildar

He nods at Chandan, understanding that joining the Alliance was not for everyone. He had heard how cold-blooded the monk and thought it would be best to keep someone as dangerous as that as an ally. But he believed that the monk was mostly a loner, the type of person that could live in a cave at the top of an isolated mountain and not feel lonely. So be it.

So Sildar focused on this potential recruit.

"So, as I was saying, the rulers of Waterdeep, Silverymoon, Neverwinter, and other free cities in the region are members of the Alliance. While every lord in the Alliance works for the fate and fortune of his or her own settlement above all others, they are loyal to the cause."

"Our agents include bards, paladins, mages, and warriors. They are chosen primarily for their loyalty, and are trained in observation, stealth, innuendo, and combat. We are backed by the wealthy and the privileged. Our forces use the best equipment."

"You see, there is no expense to great than to seek out and destroy threats to our homelands. That's why agents of the Lords’ Alliance must be highly trained at what they do. It's obviously why I singled you out. Few can compare to our skills in the field. We fight for the glory and the security of our people and the lords who rule over us. We do so with pride. "

"However, the Lords’ Alliance can only survive if its members “play nice” with one another, and that requires a certain measure of diplomacy."

"We believe that if civilization is to survive, all must unite against the dark forces that threaten it. Our glory comes from protecting our home and honoring our leaders. The best defense is a strong offense."

"Out goal is to ensure the safety and prosperity of the cities and other settlements of Faerûn by forming a strong coalition against the forces that threaten us all. We eliminate such threats by any means necessary whenever and wherever they arise, and are champions of the people."

"Do these qualitys, values and goals align with any of yours?"

Neptune #832979 Mon 21/12/15 09:39 UTC
Administrator
Administrator
Davroar

Apparently no one seems to mind letting the one Redbrand run off, so he will forgot about him.

His emotions are mixed when his friends talk about going to visit a druid at Thundertree. He has not seen another druid for a long time now. His powers have grown significantly since leaving his initial teacher, but how he will be accepted for the choices he has made in his short career as a druid so far makes him a little apprehensive. Nonetheless, whether this Thundertree druid is reclusive or if is of a different circle than his, Davroar thinks he could be of some help in gaining information from Reidoth.

"Sure Jaliera, I'd go with you anywhere..." He quickly realizes his poor choice of words and speaks quicker, "I mean Thundertree. Where the druid is, rather than fighting orcs at Wyvern Tor where we could all die and ahh... Yes. Good idea, we should resupply and the same time see if anyone has word of Gundren's brothers."

He turns to leave, heading outside back to Barthan's to buy a few things for the trip.

Last edited by Dugan; Mon 21/12/15 09:40 UTC.
Neptune #832985 Mon 21/12/15 12:30 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Online Content
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

His initial words cause a blush to rise in her face, though from her smile the words are not unwelcome. He does correct himself though leaving Jaliera to wonder if he actually meant what he had said and was thinking maybe they were too forward.. or whether he hadn't meant it that way. She hopes it is the former as she is quite attracted to the young druid, the first time she has felt this way about someone.

"So heading for the store then, anyone else coming?"

Neptune #832989 Mon 21/12/15 13:35 UTC
AJ Offline
Kriv

He listened carefully, impassive and stoic, considering the words and weighing them carefully.

"I would say this is very much in line with my ethos. My own ties are to Norixius Keep, which whilst small is of like mind with this alliance. Collective endeavour to maintain order around and outside each settlement's bailiwick is both sensible and reasonable, as is the focus on one's own domain as paramount.

I am familiar with the obligations of lordship, and serve my father absolutely and without hesitation or question, which would naturally translate well across the alliance. I would like to think my education in matters martial and arcane has been of the highest calibre, though as with any student I am aware there is always room to improve, always much more to learn, and I seek to do so to the fullest of my abilities.

In short, I believe we are well suited to one another. In me, the Lord's Alliance will have an unflinchingly loyal agent, and perhaps one day once the span of my father's years reaches its natural end, a thoroughly dependable ally and co-patron."

Neptune #833000 Mon 21/12/15 18:59 UTC
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
(OOC - Just a note for those who use this sort of thing, now might be a good time to upgrade armour at the Lionshield Coster. I also think Davroar mentioned he would taste the two unknown potions so we can finalize our magic item split.)

Last edited by Zeim; Mon 21/12/15 19:00 UTC.
Neptune #833020 Mon 21/12/15 21:56 UTC
Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
Sildar

He reaches into a drawer in his desk and pulls out a little box and opens it. He hands the open box to Kriv and inside there's a ring.

"This signet ring will identify you as a member of the Lord's Alliance. Notice the insignia. You wear that palm side up, like this."

He shows Kriv the way that he wears it. The insignia is a simple crown.

"You have earned the rank of 'Cloak' which is an initiate rank and where we all begin. I am sure that you will advance quickly. With this ring you will be allowed to attend faction events and opportunity to advance. But you can be assured that we are not in this for personal benefit. The Lord's Alliance exists for the reasons I stated before. Indeed, I feel a sense of pride today because the Alliance has added a worthy member."

With that he holds out his hand to shake Kriv's.

Neptune #833047 Tue 22/12/15 02:51 UTC
AJ Offline
Kriv

He accepts the ring in the appropriate manner, and the proffered hand, though the gesture is less common amongst his own kind.

"Indeed. The rule of law, as established by those in rightful authority, is paramount."

Neptune #833064 Tue 22/12/15 10:44 UTC
nem Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Chandan

The monk walks in from the balcony and ambles over to the others.

"Yes. Broke my best wine gourd!" He replies to Jaliera and is eager to accompany her and Davroar to Barthen's. Maybe the store will have a replacement or a durable wineskin.

On the way out, Chandan repeats to the constables what Davroar had mentioned about the Redbrand escapee, and what's been said about the goblin escapee and the 12 missing captives whose clothes he has returned.

Once satisfied that the constables have taken this information on board, and if his companions are content to leave it at that, off to Barthen's Provisions he goes.

"I think you would be a big help to these constables." Chandan says to Davroar, "Indeed, bear-size help! But only we can help Gundren. We must rescue him before he gives up the map. As soon as King Grol gets the map, Gundren is a dead dwarf."

The monk pats Davroar on the shoulder and smiles.

"So, we need your help more!"

Neptune #833080 Tue 22/12/15 15:16 UTC
Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
DM

Kallista remembered that she has an appointment with Halia Thornton at the miner's exchange.

Jaliera is headed to Barthen's Provisions to see if anyone has sighted Gundren's brothers along with Davroar and Chandan. They are thinking about going to see about the druid.

Kriv is finishing up with Sildar as the others are discussing matters.

The grizzled soldier releases Kriv's hand and says to him, "We will keep a look out for that escaped ruffian but I doubt we'll see him again. With his friends all gone, he knows that he'll be punished for all of the Redbrand sins. Now it's up to the gods to give him what he deserves. If we see him, rest assured that I have a cell waiting for him."

With Kriv done, where is he off to? Kallista is going to meet up with her faction contact.

Neptune #833163 Wed 23/12/15 04:09 UTC
Administrator
Administrator
Davroar

"You're right, Chandan. I was just thinking more of that last Redbrand running to the spider and warning him about us."

Davroar figures they will just have to be a little more careful of being ambushed by this spider's thugs as they travel to Thundertree.

Neptune #833171 Wed 23/12/15 09:24 UTC
AJ Offline
Kriv

He nodded acknowledgement, then after a few moment's consideration,

"I suspect finding him will not further out overall goals: There seems to be a hierarchy in place, small groups of thugs as with the Goblins and the Redbrands receiving orders through an officer tier, composed of Bugbears for the groups so far encountered. We need an officer tier contact from whom we can glean this information, which means severing another of the Spider's tendrils. Any other reports of violent groups of thugs in the area?"

Neptune #833179 Wed 23/12/15 10:50 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Online Content
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

"Yes we should keep Gundren in the forefront of our minds."

She cannot imagine what his life has been like recently.. if indeed he is still alive.

"And Davroar, I think that last Redbrand would find it hard to get to the Spider travelling on his own and without supplies. We should conclude our business here and move on."

Neptune #833314 Thu 24/12/15 13:55 UTC
Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
Entire Party at Barthen's Provisions
The heroes make their way from the Townmaster's Hall up the street toward Barthen's Provisions.

On the way they pass the Shrine of Luck and recall that they're missing another dwarf, Karok. He left of his own accord and not one of the remaining members of the group had visited the shrine.

Upon returning to Barthen's Provisions, they are greeted once again by the lean and balding man middle aged man. He stops organizing items on a high shelf and climbs down from a stool and wipes his hands in his apron and approaches the group.

"Welcome back," he says with a kind smile. "Did you find out more about Gundren and his brothers in the manor?" he asks. The group had met Elmar Barthen when they first arrived in town.

The shelves are stocked with all manner of ordinary goods and supplies. This is a miner's town so there are many supplies that adventurers would want such as backpacks, bedrolls, rope and rations. It made sense that the dwarves would have come here.

"Word has it that you've rid the town of it's scourge. If you need anything, let me know. We're having a hero's special today."

Kallista with Halia Thornton at the Miner's Exchange

The tiefling makes her way back to the miner's exchange where she is greeted by Halia Thornton. The woman is standing behind the counter.

"Good work. I hear you took care of the wizard and all those thugs."

She reaches down and pulls out a small satchel. "One hundred gold, as agreed. Do you have the papers?"

Neptune #833338 Thu 24/12/15 17:34 UTC
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Kallista

She hands over the papers taken from Iarno's office. "Yes. Seems he was working with someone called the Black Spider. Ever heard the name before?"

Neptune #833361 Thu 24/12/15 20:07 UTC
Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
Halia Thornton with Kallista at the Miner's Exchange

"Hmmmm. Looks scary," she said as she tossed the coin on the counter for Kallista.

"You did alright there young lady," she finally smiles back at Kallista but there's a wickedness in that grin. "You seem to be the type that would be interested in power, wealth and all that comes with that. Have you thought about getting an organization behind you to help you achieve those goals?"

Neptune #833498 Sat 26/12/15 12:00 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Online Content
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

"Yes, I might well be buying today."

Her eyes scan the shelves mentally making notes on things she might want. She is feeling much more grown up with her recent adventures and the independence of being out on her own, away from her mentor, for the first time.

"So the brothers have not been in then?"

Neptune #833525 Sat 26/12/15 18:38 UTC
nem Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Chandan

He listens with his ears, whilst his eyes roam the shelves, perusing various containers suitable for beverages.

Neptune #833565 Sun 27/12/15 15:23 UTC
Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
Barthen's Provisions

The shelves were lined with almost anything one would expect to find in a mining town. So the establishment had an entire section dedicated to that. In there you could find things like neatly bundled coils of rope, pitons shovels and picks as well as clothing one might wear. There were also items that any adventurer would want, bedrolls, blankets, tents, clothing, flasks, bottles, poles, lanterns, candles, torches, backpacks and scroll cases were just some of the items clearly visible to any that wanted to buy something.

"No, m'lady. Another day has passed and there has been no sign of them. It is, indeed worrisome."

After a short conversation with him, Jaliera is convinced that there is no more news about the dwarves.

You can find any item in the Adventuring Gear table that is 25gp or less.

Neptune #833626 Mon 28/12/15 13:16 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Online Content
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

"OK thanks."

And she is concerned. She had hoped they would have been around by now. Where had they got to? Still they cannot hang around here waiting. She turns her mind to her purchases. Getting out her ink, pen and a small book, she starts to make notes on items and prices.

Once done, she heads back to Barthen.

"I would like 20 arrows, 2 bags of caltrops, 10 pieces of chalk, i bullseye lantern, 10 flasks of oil, 10 days rations, 2 sacks, 1 piece of soap and a whetstone. Oh and a mirror please."

She smiles at Barthen.

"That comes to 20 gold, 21 silver and 5 copper.. but you did say there were special prices for adventurers today?"

She is really enjoying this. Although she has to give half of her money to her mentor, the other half is hers and it is really the first time she has had her own money to spend. She has tried to buy wisely, thinking of what might be useful in the future, in her life as an adventurer, because surely that is what she is now! She feels a joy and an excitement stirring within.

Neptune #833632 Mon 28/12/15 13:29 UTC
nem Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Chandan

He has a nibble on a bar of soap and has to pick it off of his tongue. Why is it in the Consumbles section!? Perhaps it's an elven delicacy.

Otherwise he settles on a sturdy wineskin of leather and suede.

His spear could do with some ensorcelment. Sharpening it once again won't provide any further advantage against the forces of evil. But Barthen does not seem like the purveyor of such wares, neither does the local smithee.

Neptune #833645 Mon 28/12/15 16:31 UTC
Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
Barthan

"That would be 22 gold and some change but how about we do it for 15 gold and that will include your friend's wine skin call it a day. That's below my cost but we owe you a debt of gratitude for getting rid of those hooligans," he says to Jaliera.

There is a weapons and armor shop in town: the Lionshield Coster. There you can find any mundane armor or personal weapon. (Ie: no ballistas or catapults).

Neptune #833655 Mon 28/12/15 18:08 UTC
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Kalliats

She pauses, studying the woman before her. Then after a moment longer she nods slowly. "Yes. It is my goal to become powerful enough to take revenge on those who wronged me. Having like-minded associates would shorten the process. What, or who do you have in mind?"

Neptune #833665 Mon 28/12/15 18:57 UTC
Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
Halia Thornton with Kallista at the Miner's Exchange

She pauses again, peering intently at Kallista, then nods imperceptibly. "I belong to a group who has similar aims. They strive to gain wealth thru power and will do whatever it takes to get it. If that means helping old ladies cross the street in order to gain approval from a local community, then that is what they will do. If it means kicking the old lady to the curb because she is standing on a bag of gold, that works too. They are willing to support those who support them. Are you interested?"
[[ooc: yeah, I took the lazzzzzzy route wink ]]

Neptune #833680 Mon 28/12/15 21:38 UTC
Administrator
Administrator
Davroar

Planning for the future and also wanting to replace some worn and ripped clothing he hunts around the shelves restocking his pack:

New clothes for town and travelling
New bedroll and blanket
Healers kit
10 pieces each of chaulk and candles
New ink and parchment to update his map of his travels so far.
A climbers kit and rope since they might be ultimately heading to more caves.
10 day rations - if the trip is going to be longer than he can always hunt for his meal.

He will ask Barthan if he has any replacement bullets for his sling here, otherwise he will plan to visit the Lionshield Coster as suggested.

Last edited by Dugan; Mon 28/12/15 21:42 UTC.
Neptune #833709 Mon 28/12/15 23:58 UTC
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Kallista

"Yes", she agrees firmly. "How do I contact them, or know them when I meet them?"

Neptune #833730 Tue 29/12/15 01:59 UTC
AJ Offline
Kriv

His first stop is the Lionshield Coster: The tools of his trade are his most useful assets, so it is upon those that he focuses first.

Neptune #833840 Tue 29/12/15 22:42 UTC
Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
At Barthen's Provisions...

Davroar finds most of the items that he wants to purchase, and at a great price, at Barthen's. The shopkeeper sells the lot to the druid at half price. The only thing he cannot purchase here are his sling bullets.

At the Lionshield Coster

Hanging above the front door of this modest trading post is a sign shaped like a wooden shield with a blue lion painted on it.

As you walk in you see a modest collection of nick-nacks and art objects to your left. To your right you see various items of clothing. Ahead of you is a counter and behind it stands a woman about 35 years of age.

"Greetings. What do you need?"

At the Miner's Exchange

Halia smiles before she replies. "Good. Welcome to the Zhentarim. This is how you'll recognize one of us." She then hands her a coin the likes of which she had never seen before. It had a symbol of a wyvern or a dragon on it.

"Here, take it. This identifies you and if you are asked, your rank is Fang.

Neptune #833844 Tue 29/12/15 23:05 UTC
AJ Offline
Kriv

Hiding the majority of his teeth, he nodded politely to the woman and spake,

"Hail and well met. I am interested in seeing your stock of protective wear, as would befit one who goes into harm's way for the good of society. I have a particular interest in heavy armours, though I may well take a look at your heavier weaponry as well. What would you say this place prided itself upon, within those categories?"

Neptune #833949 Wed 30/12/15 12:28 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Online Content
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

"That's fine. I agree, thank you."

She smiles again and starts to pack her bag whilst she watches Davroar to see what he is buying.

"So Lionshield Coster next then?"

She is wondering whether there might be something of interest to her there, something she could afford anyway.

Neptune #833974 Wed 30/12/15 14:42 UTC
nem Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Chandan

Extremely pleased with his new wineskin, he sings quietly but merrily to himself while he ponders what to put in it. Meanwhile, he follows Jaliera and Davroar to the next shop.

Neptune #834009 Wed 30/12/15 18:52 UTC
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Kallista

She examines the coin with interest, then hides it within her clothing feeling it is likely something that is best not publicly displayed.

"Zhentarim." She nods, making a note to look them up when she has some time. "Fang, eh? Goes with the symbol I suppose."

She bids goodbye to Halia, moving to catch up with the others.

Neptune #834046 Wed 30/12/15 23:54 UTC
Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
OOC: in this strange, asynchronous tour of the town, assume you all get to the Lionshield Coster at the same time. Refer to this post for your intro.

Neptune #834086 Thu 31/12/15 08:10 UTC
Administrator
Administrator
Davroar

He thanks Barthen for the good deal he got and leaves with his new things hastily packed for now.

With more gold coins than he expected to leave with he follows the rest to the weapon smith shop. Davroar only wants to buy some extra sling bullets.

None of the heavier metal armours will do him any good, so while waiting his turn to make his purchase he will peruse the weapon selection to see if there is anything better than his quarterstaff as his main weapon, or perhaps a long knife as a secondary weapon.

Neptune #834242 Fri 01/01/16 15:27 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Online Content
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

Kriv is already there and Kallista arrives shortly after them. So the group are all together again. Not so surprising given their interests and the size of this small town.

She wants to look at what armour may be available and what sort of price it is. She already has leather armour and isn't sure there will be anything better that won't hamper her movement.

Neptune #834444 Sun 03/01/16 12:21 UTC
nem Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Chandan

Accompanying the others as he is, he finds himself examining an assortment of weapons.

He tries on a large great helm and has a few practice swings with a longsword, imagining what it's like to be a brave knight.

After nearly cutting his own foot off, he puts both back.

He needs neither weapons or armour, and his bloody, torn clothes can be patched up later with a needle and thread.

Neptune #834601 Mon 04/01/16 07:37 UTC
Administrator
Administrator
Davroar

Finding a basic dagger that will do for a backup weapon, he hastily backs away when Chandan starts practicing with the longsword and exclaims, "Ahh! Watch where you're swinging..."

Noticing Chandan's bloody and torn clothes he suggests, "You should've gotten new clothes at Barthen's, Chandan. Orc's and wolves will be smelling us coming if you stay in those rags."

Neptune #834605 Mon 04/01/16 09:20 UTC
nem Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Chandan

"How does a swordsman not kill himself with one of these!?" He wonders aloud, sheathing and hanging the sword back up.

Looking down at his clothes, he nods in agreement to Davroar.

"Tonight, wash and fix. Good as new!" Chandan says to reassure the druid.

He isn't sentimental about his homespun robes. His yellow silk scarf has some significance, denoting him as sadhu, but even that is more for the benefit of the layman than himself.

Seeing Davroar looking at weapons, Chandan suggests, "How about a spear? Similar to your staff but more versatile."

Neptune #834611 Mon 04/01/16 13:23 UTC
Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
ooc: Considering that nowhere in the DM text does it say that there are weapons or armor for display, I think all the posts about purchasing equipment is a bit presumptuous, don't you all?

Here's what the DM post said:
Quote:

As you walk in you see a modest collection of nick-nacks and art objects to your left. To your right you see various items of clothing. Ahead of you is a counter and behind it stands a woman about 35 years of age.

"Greetings. What do you need?"

Neptune #834630 Mon 04/01/16 19:56 UTC
nem Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
[Ah well, I doubt we were gonna nick anything anyway. grin ]

Neptune #834647 Mon 04/01/16 21:03 UTC
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Kallista

The only thing Kallista is interested in purchasing with her share would be some additional Healing Potions, so she looks at both Barthen's and the Lionshield Coster to see if any are available. If not, she recalls passing a Shrine in the middle of town, so she will look there. Clerical types usually are good sources for such things.

Neptune #834762 Tue 05/01/16 14:24 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Online Content
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

"Davroar, I was thinking of casting my Find Familiar spell tonight. I thought a magical animal that is small and can scout without attracting attention might be very useful. Maybe you could advise what creature might be best? I was thinking of an owl as it can fly ahead and I can see thought its eyes in the dark, meaning I could scout without light. What do you think? Plus I could use the company and a lookout whilst I do it."

She smiles at him hoping that he can help. She also keeps an eye of Chandan and his weapon swinging tendancies.

Neptune #834909 Wed 06/01/16 07:47 UTC
Administrator
Administrator
Davroar

He gives Jaliera a brief look of surprise and replies, "I didn't know you could do spells too."

He knows enough about owls to help and continues to say, "But yeah, sure I can help. You thinking on a small one or large?"

Davroar has seen a few on his travels, the smaller barn owls the most common naturally around rural areas. Further afield there are the larger eagle-owls and the great horned owls. The smaller ones would have an advantage of getting into smaller places and less likely to be seen, while the larger ones could easily take care of themselves if it came down to a fight with another animal.

Neptune #834951 Wed 06/01/16 16:39 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Online Content
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

"My mentor trained me in magic but told me it would likely awaken in me when I was ready. Seems I am, had been feeling a tingling for a while. I cast that coloured spray back in the cellar. First time I really tried it, kind of surprised me too."

She grins.

"As to owl, hadn't really thought about size but smallish would be good. I'd like to carry it on my shoulder when we are exploring and I'm not that tall myself."

She is pleased that Davroar wants to help.

Neptune #835416 Sat 09/01/16 16:43 UTC
Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
Party at the Lionshield Coster
The Lionshields are a merchant company based in the city of Yartar, over a hundred miles to the east from Phandelver. They ship goods here and to other small settlements throughtout the region, but this one had been hit hard by banditry. The most recent caravan was attacked by the Cragmaw goblins and once word spread that you had defeated them, most of the missing merchandise had been retrieved.

The weapons and armor at the Lionshield Coster are not readily on display, but once the proprietress, a human woman about 35 years of age named Lienene, realizes who you are, she leads them into a back room and pulls aside a curtain to reveal the,.

"I don't sell weapons and armor to just anyone. Those Redbrands, for instance," she says.

You are able to purchase swords, daggers, shields, and arrows as well as other weapons and armor. She has a decent selection to choose from. Much to her disappointment, cannot find healing potions at either the Lionshield Coster or at Barthens.You may purchase any non-magical weapons or armor that you like here at PHB prices. Let me know if you want anything.

Kallista at the Shrine of Luck
Kallista makes her way over to the Shrine of Luck, in the middle of town. Before he left the party, Karok had visited there. But the dwarf didn't say much about what he learned there.

It's a small temple, really only a small structure made of old, hewn stones. It is dedicated to Tymora, the goddess of luck and good fortune. The shrine is being cared for by a young elf who turns around once she notices Kallista. "Greetings she says simply. "Aren't you one of those who came here with Karok?"

Jaliera and Davroar in the Town Green
The Jaliear and Davroar separate themselves from the others to summon an owl for the young trickster. They take a stroll after leaving the Lionshield Coster towards the town green which is just a few hundred feet away. It's a lush, green, open space that is bordered by a small orchard and a single home in the north. Davroar explains that owls are likely to be found near trees so they make their way closer to the grove.

The druid had been up this way the other day in animal form and had spied into the cottage where he had seen an aging man the other day. Although they did not approach the cottage directly, the man emerged, by chance and spotted the pair. He waved to them at a distance, and continued about his business which, at this time seemed like chopping firewood. As he rolled up his sleeves and got to work, it became apparent that this was a strong man.

To summon her familiar, Jaliera knew that she needed to mix together incense and herbs and then burn them slowly. The ritual would take her over an hour to complete. The druid watched intently as she started it.

ooc: Although the PHB says that the familiar is a "spirit that takes on an animal form", I'll play it the old fashioned way, the owl will be a real owl.

Kriv and Chandan at the Inn
The dragonborn and monk go to the inn. Chandan has promised to bathe and change and Kriv seemed eager to help the monk stay focused on that task. There was a stench that hung like an aura around the old man. The fetor was particularly rancid to the reptilian's nostrils. Perhaps a cleansing would also be an opportunity to discuss combat ethics with the monk.

As they enter the inn, they are greeted by townsfolk that were eager to raise their mugs in a toast and to buy drinks for the pair.

Neptune #835433 Sat 09/01/16 18:29 UTC
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Kallista

"Yes", she replies. "My name is Kallista. Nice shrine."

Neptune #835439 Sat 09/01/16 19:05 UTC
AJ Offline
Kriv

He considered trading in for stronger armour, but refrained for the time being: The chainmail had served him well so far. He was in no hurry to be anywhere near the vagrant, and made sure to give him plenty of room. Showing mercy to the Monk for his actions, offering a chance for redemption, forgiving what he had done, these were anathema to the Dragonborn, who would much rather apply the law in all its fullness. If nothing else, that would be a permanent solution to the stink, and likely far more effective than any attempt at ablution.

Neptune #835441 Sat 09/01/16 19:11 UTC
Administrator
Administrator
Davroar

Walking with Jaliera he returns the older mans wave out of courtesy and remembers him from yesterday. His curiosity gets to him and decides to walk over to talk to the man after he helps Jaliera.

Right now though he will watch Jaliera prepare, and if she wants guidance (cantrip) or a flame to burn the incense he can provide both.

Neptune #835554 Sun 10/01/16 11:29 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Online Content
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

She is feeling good. They had succeeded in disbanding the Redbrands and the town should be in a much better state now, especially with their new mayor. A good result. She has learned much on this adventure, hopefully made a friend.. she glances at Davroar with a smile.. and has come into her magic. She feels her mentor will be pleased with her progress.

Between the two of them, they make the preparations, chatting easily as they do so. She sees Davroar wave at a man and decides to ask him about that after the casting. At the moment she is too excited by the summoning.

Settling herself down cross-legged by the small fire that Davroar had built, she focuses and recalls the steps she needs to take. Then she starts...

Neptune #835561 Sun 10/01/16 13:08 UTC
nem Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Chandan

According to his vows, he can only bathe in running water, and there is a stream outside of town to the north-west.

However, Chandan's spiritual awakening has led him down from his mountain to foreign lands, and there are also edicts that talk about respecting other beliefs.

In these northern lands, it's widely believed that having a hot bath in an inn is cleansing. The inn also sells a variety of beverages. Two birds with one stone! Most auspicious!

Neptune #836396 Sat 16/01/16 04:45 UTC
Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
DM - Kriv and Chandan at the Stonehill Inn

By the time he was done, Chandan's bathwater was the color of mud and had absorbed some of the stench which followed him like his shadow. No longer rancid, he was as clean as he could ever be when he made it downstairs to the taproom. The monk and the dragonborn then caught each other's gaze from across the room. Kriv's glare was icy.

He had found himself a quiet place to rest and was drinking a beverage that a local peasant had bought him earlier. A tray of smoked meats and a block of hard cheese was a gift from a couple that sat at a nearby table. Justice had been served today and these folk were showing their appreciation.

There was work to be done for the dragonborn. He had found himself a new purpose. He was a member of the Lord's Alliance. When he had asked Sildar about any other reports of violent groups of thugs in the area, the new tonwmaster had mentioned that Harbin (his cowardly predecessor) had mentioned orcs to the east on the Triboar Trail. There would be a meager 100 GP reward for eliminating them. But the greatest interest seemed to be finding Cragmaw Castle. The reward would be significant but it would be a difficult task. First they had to find it.

Sadly, Mosk was dead. The bugbear swore that he knew where it was. They would need a new source of information. Sildar's suggestion was to search the lands around the Triboar Trail for raiding parties. To gather the information, they needed to capture someone that could provide it. As Kriv looked over towards the monk across the room, he had to wonder what it would take to keep prisoners alive with Chandan around.

Neptune #836401 Sat 16/01/16 10:07 UTC
AJ Offline
Kriv

The answer was simple, straightforward and self-evident: Remove the problem, end the risk. An execution, however, did not appear to have popular support, and without legal recourse that was an end of it for the time being. He spared not a moment more, not a glance or a flicker towards the murderous vagrant, not when surrounded by those eager to please and who knew the local area.

In his erudite way, he made enquiries about the Triboar trail and listened with a sympathetic ear at any tale of raids in that vicinity. Anything to verify and help pin down an actual threat: The fact the objective had previously been given by a man in collusion with their enemy, peon of their peons, was a concern, and Gundren was the absolute priority.

Neptune #836407 Sat 16/01/16 12:50 UTC
Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
DM - Jaliera and Davroar in the Town Green near the Edermath Orchard

It was just after sunset. The incense and herbs that burned over red hot charcoal in the small brass brazier gave rise to a pungent plume of smoke that twisted up towards the cresent moon. The air around her tingled every so often as she concentrated on keeping the fire going. The scent reached an owl that had made its lair in the orchard. Almost immediately the young rogue felt the connection with the bird. Although it was dozens of yards away, they were connected.

The ritual was time consuming and Davroar spent most of that time time talking Daren Edermath, to the silver-haired half-elf that was chopping wood. It turns out he was a retired adventuer. He was over a hundred years old and had served as a marshal and herald for many years in the lands of the Dragon Coast, far to the southeast. When he retired, he settled back to this region.

While Davroar kept an eye out for Jaliera, he listened to Daren speak and it became clear that the man was passionate about ridding the world of evildoers. He was elated that the wizard and the Redbrands were taken care of "It was high time someone took care of those thugs!"

The aged warrior eagerly shared tales of battles with giants and dragons and Davroar listened patiently these to his tales of adventure. And as time passed, Daren brought up recent stories about prospectors in the hills to the northeast of Phandelin who were digging around in the ruins of the Old Owl Well. The reports were that these prospectors were chased away by undead.

"The ruins are an old watchtower of an ancient magical empire called Netheril," he told Davroar. "I am worried that there is dangerous magic lying dormant in those ruins. It would take brave adventurers to take care of this problem. It is only a few days northeast of here. If you would visit the ruins and find out who's there and what they are up to, it would be greatly appreciated."

Eventually, Davroar noticed the bird arrive to land on his friends arm from a short distance. He was connected to wildlife too, so seeing a human and an animal connect seemed somewhat natural. It was getting late and Jaliera and her new familiar were bonded now. Davroar said his goodbyes to the old warrior and rejoined Jaliera.

Neptune #836408 Sat 16/01/16 13:35 UTC
Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
DM - Kallista at the Shrine of Luck

"Thank you. It is small but I've been fortunate to be able to keep it up like I do with those thugs around. Your friend Karok stopped by here on his way out of town and told me about what you were doing. I saw you bring out the wizard bound with his hands tied behind his back. His luck ran out when you came into town!"

"I am Sister Garaele," the scholarly looking elf said. "You've done this town a great service and I thank you for that. We need to thwart tyrants like that no matter where we find them. They are a scourge on this land."

"And so what are your plans to do now?" she asks.

Neptune #836438 Sat 16/01/16 19:59 UTC
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Kallista

She digs into a pouch and takes out a few gold pieces and places it in front of the shrine. "Never can have too much luck", she says gently.

She listens to Sister Garaele and nods. "Yes. Those Redbrands should trouble the town no longer. Glasstaff is a prisoner and the rest are dead or fled. I think Sildar will be able to establish some order here now."

She ponders the final question. "Well. We are searching for the dwarf who hired us. He was captured with Sildar by Goblins and we've heard he was taken to a place called Cragmaw Castle. His name is Gundren. He and his brothers were miners around here. I don't suppose you know where Cragmaw might be?"

Neptune #836452 Sat 16/01/16 23:22 UTC
nem Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Chandan
(at Stonehill Inn)

His clothes are washed and repaired and hanging to dry, so he tries to venture downstairs in a loincloth...

That doesn't go so well, so it's somewhat later that Chandan reappears in his robes again, yellow silk scarf loose around his neck.

The greybeard half remembers his conversation with Alzok, Borim and Carmil from the day before. Something was said about white cider. Chandan can't recall exactly what, but he asks that his new wineskin filled with the stuff.

He pays what has to be paid, since upon contemplation, his vows of poverty are unaffected by any coin he carries.

It was the town's coin, and he'd carried it out of the Redbrands hideout. He carries it still. Without any record of who it was stolen from, distributing it as circumstance dictates is as fair a way as any, and adheres to the town's own customs.

Seeing Kriv regarding him with what he inteprets as an inviting and friendly face, he shambles over to sit with his companion.

"Wow! Hot bath! Now I know how rice feels!" He says.

"So, to Thundertree next you think?"

Neptune #836540 Sun 17/01/16 19:15 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Online Content
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

She is sitting on the ground cross-legged still and beaming at the owl on her arm. As she hears Davroar approach, she glances around, eyes shining.

"She says her name is Whisper."

Neptune #836747 Tue 19/01/16 08:05 UTC
Administrator
Administrator
Davroar

He gives a warm smile to both Jaliera and Whisper, and says, "Pleased to meet you Whisper."

Pointing back to where the half-elf has retired to his house in the orchard, Davroar adds, "I hope you did not mind. I wandered over to talk with Daran, the half-elf chopping wood there, while you're doing your summoning."

Davroar will plan to share whet he had learned from Daran Edermath later when everyone else is around at the inn.

"So how does it feel to have such a connection with nature?"

For him it has been a way of life since he was little, and he hopes it will bring Jaliera a greater peace of mind and more awareness of the natural world that they live in.

Neptune #836762 Tue 19/01/16 11:57 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Online Content
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

"No, that's fine."

She smiles but Davroar could be forgiven in thinking that she might have said the same thing if he'd just confessed to robbing her and murdering the half elf as almost all of her attention is on the small owl whose breast she is gently stroking with one finger.

His second question obviously takes some time to filter through as there is a delay before she responds.

"Wonderful."

Though whether she is talking to him or to Whisper... or maybe to both of them isn't clear.

Neptune #836953 Wed 20/01/16 08:11 UTC
Administrator
Administrator
Davroar

He will help in safely putting out the small fire used, and asks Jaliera, "Should we find the others then, I guess at the inn. Or, do you want to stay outside with Whisper for awhile longer?"

Neptune #836967 Wed 20/01/16 12:30 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Online Content
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

Her eyes are still shining but she grins at him.

"No let's find the others, besides I'm hungry!"

She helps to tidy up and then makes her way with Davroar to the inn. Before going in, she pauses.

"Do you think I should take her in? Perhaps I should ask her?"

She concentrates, wanting to know if Whisper will be happier inside with her and lots of other people, or whether she wants to stay outside. Also does she need to hunt for food?

Neptune #836978 Wed 20/01/16 15:53 UTC
AJ Offline
Kriv

Intent as he was on listening to the locals, he blanked the vagrant.

Neptune #837007 Wed 20/01/16 20:55 UTC
nem Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Chandan
(at Stonehill Inn)

(He thinks) he astutely reads the dragonborn's silence, himself nodding.

"Ah yes, agreed." He says, "We have Davroar though. If Thundertree a ruin, might be easy for him to sniff out another druid.

"You think we should take barter, gifts for druid? Do druids need paying for their knowledge?"

Neptune #837088 Thu 21/01/16 07:35 UTC
Administrator
Administrator
Davroar

The mention of food suddenly makes him hungry too and will walk with Jaliera back to the inn, but he will pause by the shrine of luck to leave a couple of silvers thinking that they will need some luck in finding Gundren.

When they pause just outside of the inn, he comments, "Owl's are night hunters, she'll want to hunt I think."

Neptune #837123 Thu 21/01/16 17:22 UTC
Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
[ooc: I hope to have some posts tonight. I'm pretty swamped both at work and at home with stuff. Consider this an apology for my being slow.]

Neptune #837213 Fri 22/01/16 11:51 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Online Content
Wizop
Administrator
NP, we all have bouts of that! smile

Neptune #838062 Thu 28/01/16 18:13 UTC
Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
DM

Kallista's asks Sister Garaele a simple question, but unfortunately, she cannot tell her where Cragmaw Castle is. That was not surprising. So Kallista turned her attention to the other objective, trying to secure potions of healing. The cleric smiles and says, "I would give you four potions of healing if you would do me a favor." My superiors want me to persuade a banshee named Agatha to answer a question about a spellbook. I sought her out, but she would not appear for me. Perhaps you can act as an intermediary. Bring her this beautiful, bejeweled, silver comb as a gift and persuade her to tell you what she knows about a spellbook that belonged to a legendary mage named Bowgentle. I believe that if you use flattery and appeal to Agatha's vanity, she might trade information for that comb. Agatha can be found in the ruins of a town called Conyberry. Triboar Trail runs right through it."

With that offer in hand, Kallista concludes her chat with the priestess and makes her way over to the inn. She arrives before Davroar and Jaliera.

The young rogue and the druid welcome the new member of the team, a hoot owl that Jaliera decided to call Whisper. After it is summoned, Jaliera lets it hunt for it's dinner and once Whisper has fed, the two adventurers get hungry and start making their way back to the inn. Whisper perches herself on Jaliera's shoulder and digs it's claws into her skin to hold on.

Inside the inn Chandan is having a conversation with Kriv but it's rather one-way. Chandan is talking, sometimes in an animated manor, but Kriv is stoic and focused on the others in the taproom. The dragonborn is trying to eavesdrop on the townsfolk but he does not hear anything helpful. Perhaps if Chandan had kept silent he might have.

The five local heroes are finally gathered for dinner before resting for the night. They need to make plans for tomorrow. With the biggest decision being where do they go to next.

Sorry about the delay and for moving things forward a bit. It's time to make that next big decision. Where to guys?

Neptune #838070 Thu 28/01/16 19:01 UTC
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Kallista

She listens to the offer and nods. "I will take the offer back to my companions and let you know what we decide."

She then returns to the Inn to find the others already gathered.

"I just spoke with the Priestess of the Shrine across from the Town Hall. She is offering us 4 Potions of Healing is we go to a place on the trail called Conyberry and tempt a Banshee named Agatha into answering a question about some old mage's spellbook."

She shrugs. "Seems simple enough, if we're headed that way."

She looks at the others. "Anyone learn anything new, or make new friends?" She gives Jaliera and her Owl a curious look.

"Perhaps we can take a look at a map and see where we should go next? As I recall we've had several offers of employment that might help us find Gundren."

Neptune #838174 Fri 29/01/16 12:27 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Online Content
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

She and Davroar join the others. And as she sits down she motions to the barmaid to indicate they want to order, something she would not have done at the start of this adventure. Her confidence is growing.

She listens to Kallista. "Interesting.. oh the map!"

She retrieves it from her pack and spreads it on the table so everyone can see.

"Oh and this is my familiar Whisper, isn't she beautiful?"

When the barmaid arrives she will ask what food is available this evening.

Neptune #838218 Fri 29/01/16 17:45 UTC
AJ Offline
Kriv

At Kallista's enquiry,

"No further information in here on the Triboar trail, and no-one seems to have been raided beyond the predations of the ones we eradicated, at least not that they've been willing to share at the present time."

Neptune #838225 Fri 29/01/16 18:34 UTC
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Kallista

"Not here in town, probably not", she agrees. "We did get a request, and payment offer, to remove Orcs that are raiding travelers on the Trails near Wyvern Tor", she points at the map. "That's not too far from Conyberry, just past this 'Old Owl Well', and where the Priestess wanted us to question the Banshee", again she points. "Two birds and all of that."

"Thundertree, where I think the Druid was supposed to be, is pretty far in the opposite direction." She shrugs looking to others for thoughts.

Neptune #838388 Sat 30/01/16 07:52 UTC
Administrator
Administrator
Davroar

"I heard more bad things happening near this 'Old Owl Well' too, Kallista. While I was waiting with Jaliera, I got talking with this old half-elf warrior, Daran Eldermath. Very interesting guy, had lots of stories, but he said there was some prospectors digging at some ruins close to Old Owl Well and were attacked by undead. I'm wondering if these prospectors are Gundren's brothers?"

He looks over Jaliera's map too, tapping the area marked Old Owl Well with his index finger.

"Old Owl Well is north east of us, pretty much right in between Conyberry and Wyvern Tor. How about we head there first? We are still going somewhat north, though it is going more east away from Thundertree, but we could luck out and find some clues on what is going on and see if these prospectors are Gundren's brothers."

Davroar figures that depending on what information they find along the way, they can either continue north to Conyberry then west to Thundertree if there is a path through the forest, or travel further east to Wyvern Tor if it turns out Cragmaw Castle lies there.

Neptune #838402 Sat 30/01/16 13:17 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Online Content
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

"Sounds like a plan to me!" she responds happily.

Neptune #838419 Sat 30/01/16 17:07 UTC
nem Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Chandan

Hiccup! The old monk listens and studies the party assembled around the table, as he slurps another cup of mulled cider.

Smiling warmly, for no reason -- and indeed why should one need a reason for warm smiles, they hurt no-one -- he clears his throat before speaking a little slurred.

"Thundertree. We should head their directly! It is a race against time to save Gundren and the most certain way to find him, is to ask the druid at Thundertree.

"Everything else can wait, I think."

Neptune #838456 Sun 31/01/16 02:29 UTC
AJ Offline
Kriv

"Perhaps it may be best to divide our forces to cover more opportunities. Chandan, go to Thundertree and make enquiries of the druid there, then meet back with us as we proceed along the path aggreed upon by the rest of us."

Neptune #838528 Sun 31/01/16 08:50 UTC
Administrator
Administrator
Davroar

"If we're going to split up, would it be better if I went looking for the Druid? Chandan's is a better fighter than me going up against undead and orcs."

Davroar does not want to sound like a coward, but is thinking more strategic in getting the right people at the right places.

Neptune #838534 Sun 31/01/16 10:50 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Online Content
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

She looks up, not liking what she is hearing.

"We are already less in number than when we started this job.. and we struggled to survive then. If we are going to effect a rescue.. a successful rescue.. then we need to work together and stay together. I have concerns about behaviour in this group and it is obvious there is bad feeling between Kriv and Chandan. This needs to be sorted before we go any further forward."

She takes a gulping breath, saying more than she usually does but her worries push her on.

"I think we need to talk about what we don't like and try to devise a way forward that we all promise to stick to."

She looks from Kriv to Chandan and back to Kriv again.

Last edited by Gypsy; Sun 31/01/16 10:51 UTC.
Neptune #838541 Sun 31/01/16 12:06 UTC
nem Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Chandan

He ponders Davroar's suggestion, nodding. It makes sense for Davroar to speak to Reidoth, druid to druid. If Thundertree is Reidoth's home, the danger should be minimal, intervening wilderness notwithstanding.

The bigger problem is co-ordinating the rendezvous with the rest of the party, after he and Davroar have obtained the location of Cragmaw.

However, obtaining the location of Cragmaw is critical....

Appearing to doze off, lost in his own thoughts, the old monk jerks back to awakedness when his head lolls.

Hearing Jaliera, he looks at Kriv to see if the warrior knows what the girl is talking about.

Whether Chandan understands or not, he cannot dismiss the fears of any of his companions, to whom his loyalty is assured by more than common purpose. They've saved his life many times in their brief acquaintance. He trusts in each of their unique natures.

"Yes, staying together is wise. Scattering stones you cover more ground, but take longer to gather them back up.

"Kriv is a solid companion. Many different birds can share the same branch." He says to reassure the girl, and gestures to the bar, "We were just enjoying a drink together even."

He looks down at his own cup. Did he spill it? Why is it empty!? A small matter. He shrugs and smiles amiably.

Neptune #838619 Sun 31/01/16 20:25 UTC
AJ Offline
Kriv

He met Jaleira's gaze coldly, and replied,

"If you insist. He's a murderous, volatile drunkard who needs to be held accountable for his actions. The slaughter of those who have surrendered in cold blood is unconscionable, and I have no tolerance for it, nor any way of trusting that similar excesses will not occur in future."

Neptune #838654 Sun 31/01/16 22:38 UTC
Administrator
Administrator
Davroar

He sits back in his chair not liking where the conversation can lead with Chandan and Kriv. Acts can not be undone, but he thought they could at least move on.

He lets out a resigned sigh, and quietly says, "Excuse me... I'll attempt to send a message to Reidoth instead."

Chandan's mention of birds has given him an idea on how to send a message to the druid.

Davroar gets up and finds some bread scraps at a nearby table to use for food. He hopes to find a migratory bird, perhaps a long neck goose or a duck nearby. Using his spells of animal friendship and talk with animals he will send the bird on its way to Thundertree to find the druid Reidoth.

His plans will be to keep his written message simple as possible, wrapping the torn parchment around the birds leg and sealing it with some melted wax.

The message he writes in the secret language of the druids is: "Gundren, a dwarf friend, knows Wave Echo Cave, captured by goblins and The Spider. Need help finding Gundren mayhaps at Cragmaw Castle . I am travelling to Old Owl Well from Phandalin."

Neptune #839044 Mon 01/02/16 17:25 UTC
Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline

OOC: Roleplay encouraged, DM knows when to keep his nose out of the conversation wink. I'll probably ghost post for Kallista if I think nudging is needed.

As far as Davroar sending the message to Reidoth, how is the bird going to know exactly where to go? Do you? What if Thundertree is a vast compound? How's the bird going to figure out who to deliver the message to? It's a unique approach and I wonder if this happened in any other games. Hmmmm?

By the way, it's a stretch to let the spell work:
Quote:

The Animal Friendship spell: This spell lets you convince a beast that you mean it no
harm. Choose a beast that you can see within range. (Duration: 24 hrs). It must see and hear you. If the beast's Intelligence is 4 or higher, the spell fails. Otherwise, the beast must succeed on a Wisdom saving throw or be charmed by you for the spell's duration. If you or one of your companions harms the target, the spells ends.

But I'm inclined to reward the idea.

Last edited by Neptune; Mon 01/02/16 17:30 UTC.
Neptune #839057 Mon 01/02/16 17:49 UTC
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
(OOC - I have been staying out as I don't want to influence the party's direction here. However, from a meta-gaming perspective I think it could be interesting if this group goes to Old Owl Well/Wyvern Tor/Conyberry as we will have the two parties diverging for really the first time and have Neptune and I able to run different sections of the module.)

Neptune #839107 Mon 01/02/16 20:28 UTC
nem Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
[I think that's as good a reason as any, Zeim. Old Owl Well it is. I've never encountered a D&D banshee before. Hags, yes, but not banshees. So should be fun!]

Chandan

He nods sagely in agreement with Kriv until he realises what's being said.

"Hey, I am not a drunkard! That would take at least four more cups!" He says.

Kriv does make a good point though. In his relaxation after his bath, Chandan has been going a little slow, dawdling even, so he summons the maid to order more drinks.

That done, he shares his own thoughts on their moral predicament.

"It seems certain that we will take more lives on this quest to save one. It is the high and terrible cost of fighting evil.

"In the wild places we must be prepared that we may be the only authority and it will fall on us to make grim decisions."

Chandan twizzles his hair, remembering dark events.

"I cannot say that killing pleases me, but I would rather kill an evil-doer and be called 'murderer', than let the evil-doer murder another innocent and myself be called 'hero'."

Neptune #839140 Mon 01/02/16 22:23 UTC
AJ Offline
Kriv

He wordlessly watches Chandan order more drinks and double down on his stance on murder, then looks pointedly at Jaleira, raising a brow ridge.

Neptune #839291 Tue 02/02/16 08:05 UTC
Administrator
Administrator
[ooc: Neptune, I agree it would be a lot to expect, but I was hoping that an animal would have a natural instinct to find a druids grove - a place where an animal would feel almost completely safe and perhaps have flown over the Thundertree area more than once which is why I was looking for strictly migratory birds.

If you think that Davroar as a young druid would know that the chances of this are really low (success less than 20%), then please just ignore my post.

Just curious, in a straight flight line just how far is Thundertree (mileage) from this town? ]

Last edited by Dugan; Tue 02/02/16 08:10 UTC.
Neptune #839292 Tue 02/02/16 08:41 UTC
nem Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
[A fascinating question really. A lot of it boils down to how aware wild animals are of their environment and 'community', as it were.

Like the rabbits in Watership Down, for example, they're self-aware and know the local figures, know the farm, the dog, speak to other species, etc.

Would wild animals know of local druids, local ruins, even local castles in the D&D-verse? If druids can speak to them, it suggests they're somewhat self-aware and have something to say.]

Neptune #839307 Tue 02/02/16 12:52 UTC
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Traveling so not a lot of time, but I think the distances are on the map in the gallery.

Neptune #839309 Tue 02/02/16 13:07 UTC
Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
Dugan, It's 60 miles "as the crow flies" so the distance isn't a problem for me. A bird that flies at a paltry 5 mph would get there in 12 hours. There are some birds that fly well over 100 mph so it's not an issue unless you charm an ostrich, chicken or such bird. It'll take some time to do the ritual, and like I said, I'm inclined to let you go with it rather than say "no".

Neptune #839310 Tue 02/02/16 13:15 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Online Content
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

She doesn't seem to be getting much support from Davroar or Kallista, which she kind of expected. Maybe her assumption that they felt similarly was wrong? But she has broken that ice now and it cannot be unbroken easily. So she continues.

"Perhaps we could agree a compromise going forward that would allow us to work together more easily? Kriv could maybe agree not to comment on personal matters such as drinking, which is limited by what Chandan can carry.. and Chandan could agree not to attack prisoners whose surrender we have accepted?"

She wants to cross her fingers but manages to resist.

Neptune #839317 Tue 02/02/16 14:02 UTC
AJ Offline
Kriv

How like a human to focus on inconsequentialities. The Dragonborn made no effort to keep the scorn from his voice as he answered,

"'Drunkard' is principally a descriptor. He is what he is, and I have no illusions as to preventing him from being inebriated. Aside from making him more erratic, it is a non-issue, I expect and ask no better from him in that regard. I seek justice for his acts against the surrendered, on a par with them."

Neptune #839368 Tue 02/02/16 18:40 UTC
nem Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Chandan

For him, drinking is a wonder, a marvellous elixir and being inebriated is merely a state of jubilation, where one's joys and sorrows are wetted and smoothed like fresh clay.

So being a drunkard seems like quite a wise path to Chandan.

He ponders Jaliera's suggestion about prisoners. Not that there is much to ponder, it makes sense to him.

"I agree. We must ensure prisoners that we need to keep alive are kept that way, even if they have committed great evil. Like Iarno.

"It can be distressing and dangerous, but needs must. Innocent lives could depend on us staying our hands."

With his cup refreshed, he enjoys the aroma with a sigh, before having an idea of his own.

"And, if I think we need to kill someone, I can tell you first and you in turn can tell me your thoughts. A wise man knows he is a fool, after all."

Neptune #839547 Wed 03/02/16 07:50 UTC
Administrator
Administrator
[ooc: Thank you Neptune. Let Davroar give it a try then. If it does not work, I guess we will decide as a party later on which way to go once we reach Old Owl Well. If Reidoth is a high level Druid and decides to help us, I would think he could simply shape change into a bird or something else that could catch up to us once the party gets there.

So it will be a bit of a process involved in finding and befriending an appropriate bird using the spell Animal Friendship. Then once that is accomplished he can use the 'Talk with Animals' spell to ask the bird permission to attach a message to its leg and then to seek out the druid grove north of Phandalin. Let me know how long it would take, and if I need to make any rolls.

Also just to help, I googled flight speeds of birds and found them to cruise on average 10 to 40 mph. This the link I read here.
]

Last edited by Dugan; Wed 03/02/16 08:03 UTC.
Neptune #839553 Wed 03/02/16 09:45 UTC
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
(OOC - I believe the spell "Animal Messenger" will do all of that in one shot. Not sure if you have it.)

Last edited by Zeim; Wed 03/02/16 09:46 UTC.
Neptune #839564 Wed 03/02/16 11:56 UTC
Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
[ooc: That's a 2nd level spell]

Neptune #839568 Wed 03/02/16 12:16 UTC
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Isn't he 3rd level?

Neptune #839574 Wed 03/02/16 12:46 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Online Content
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

Feeling a little less sure of herself now though she feels the question needed airing she adds.

"Well that seems reasonable Chandan. Are you happy to move forward cooperatively Kriv?"

She isn't exactly sure what the Dragonborn wants here, he does seem to have strong views and maybe different ones to the rest of them.

Neptune #839584 Wed 03/02/16 13:17 UTC
AJ Offline
Kriv

"Moot. Gundren Rockspeaker's life is what matters here. My personal views remain my own, and I will do whatever is necessary to ensure that he is rescued or avenged in accordance with the debt Norixius Keep owes to him. The whims of the individual are best subsumed in the collective endeavour."

Neptune #839673 Wed 03/02/16 21:20 UTC
Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
[ooc: Zeim, you are right. I don't know why I forgot that (old age). Animal Messenger is exactly what Davroar should use. Agreed]

Neptune #839805 Thu 04/02/16 12:28 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Online Content
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

She thinks that might be agreement.. probably is.. yes, must be.

She smiles.

"Ok then, that's good. Let's eat!"

Neptune #839814 Thu 04/02/16 14:40 UTC
AJ Offline
Kriv

The Dragonborn regarded her expressionlessly, keeping any further views on humanity and their foibles to himself.

Neptune #840203 Fri 05/02/16 21:39 UTC
nem Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Chandan

"And drink!" Adds the old monk, pouring a cup of mulled cider for each of his companions.

He holds up his own cup.

"We might not always understand each other. But know that I will stand back to back with any of you, and protect you from harm if I can."

Neptune #840311 Sat 06/02/16 12:45 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Online Content
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

She smiles at the monk, raising her glass but not drinking. Instead she pushes it back to him.

"I'm sure you will appreciate this more than I. I'm not very fond of alcohol and besides I like to keep a clear head.. but the offer is appreciated."

Neptune #840316 Sat 06/02/16 13:52 UTC
AJ Offline
Kriv

As with Jaleira, though not deigning to raise the glass first, he shoved it back towards the murderous vagrant in rejection.

Neptune #840467 Sun 07/02/16 17:59 UTC
Administrator
Administrator
[ooc: Neptune, looking at the spell description for Animal Messenger from the Wiki it says the caster must have previously visited the place for the spell to work. Any chance of allowing my character to have visited Thundertree prior to starting this adventure? Otherwise I guess I am out of luck, and will have Davroar head back inside the inn. ]

Neptune #840477 Sun 07/02/16 20:19 UTC
Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
DM
Chandan does not find drinking partneers amongst his companions and it's becoming clear that the friction between Kriv and he, although very one-sided, was not going to abate soon. Dragonborn are like that, fiercely committed to their ethics. The old monk is smart enough to know that Kriv will want justice for the dead Redbrands.

Davroar takes his leave from the others to summon his avian messenger. The ritual is a new one he wanted to try but nature was his ally and soon enough a raven starts circling around him before answering his summons. With a few cihirps and whistles the pair start communication and the Davroar fomes up with a message ni more than twenty five words long, in common.

[ooc: whatcha saying? And you've passed close enough for me]

Last edited by Neptune; Sun 07/02/16 20:20 UTC.

-Nep
Neptune #840520 Mon 08/02/16 08:50 UTC
Administrator
Administrator
Sitting in a small clearing on the outskirts of the town, Davroar patiently waits for the raven to get close enough, drawing her in with the bread scraps. Davroar will then ask the raven to relay the following message, "Dwarf Gundren knows Wave Echo Cave location captured by goblins. Need help find Cragmaw Castle, the spider. Traveling Old Owl Well. Meet there please. Davroar."

Whether or not Reidoth as a fellow druid would know his name or not, Davroar includes his name in the message just in case Reidoth is the overly cautious type and thinks it might be a trap.

Neptune #840552 Mon 08/02/16 17:42 UTC
Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
ooc: As I said, I'm inclined to make things work because sometimes the spirit of the rule is more important than the rule itself. As you must realize, Dugan, this casting of the spell does not exactly fall into the strict guidelines of the spell so it's effectiveness will be diminished somewhat (DM discretion what that means). I'm also going to work it out so that this is not going to cost Davroar a spell slot for when he goes out adventuring next time. Let's say there'll be time to have recovered spells after it is cast and that you had time after the Redbrand Hideout to have regained spells.

DM
Davroar does not expect the raven to return here with an answer. What foolish person would give a bird that information? But maybe, just maybe, he will answer the request in some manner? For now the fate of the bird and the message are in nature's hands.

The plan devised so far was to head to the Owl Well, a place in the hills north of the town of Phandelin that prospectors said that someone is digging around there. The ruins are in an old watchtower and apparently these prospectors have been chased away by undead.

It's nighttime and that means it's time for sleep. You have rooms at the inn.

Neptune #840557 Mon 08/02/16 19:49 UTC
nem Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Chandan

Humbled by his companions' generosity in gifting him their drinks, Chandan is soon soundly asleep, and perhaps, for a change, in a place intended for sleeping.

Neptune #840663 Tue 09/02/16 03:30 UTC
Administrator
Administrator
Davroar

He returns to the inn later than he thought, looking around to see if any of his companions are still awake in the common room. If not he will retire to his room for good nights sleep.

Neptune #840668 Tue 09/02/16 10:56 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Online Content
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

Plans in place and hopefully some harmony restored, Jaliera takes Whisper and heads for her room to get a good night's sleep before heading out in the morning but she does wait long enough to see Davroar return safely and to wish him goodnight.

Last edited by Gypsy; Tue 09/02/16 10:58 UTC.
Neptune #840779 Wed 10/02/16 07:56 UTC
Administrator
Administrator
Davroar

Finding Jaliera still downstairs, he gives an apologetic smile and says, "Sorry for disappearing on you, Jaliera. I, umm, wanted to get a message out to Reidoth, and figured it would take me awhile to do it. Not sure if the message will get to the druid. I told him we are going to Old Owl Well, so hopefully we might see or hear from him then."

In a quieter voice he asks, "Are things okay? You didn't have to wait on me."

Neptune #840785 Wed 10/02/16 10:54 UTC
AJ Offline
Kriv

There was still merit in talking with the locals, seeking information on the Triboar trail and listening for information on any raids in the area, so Kriv, too, was present late on.

Neptune #840788 Wed 10/02/16 13:13 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Online Content
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera (Quietly just to Davroar)

"Not a problem. I just think the group is stronger if we look out for each other.. and that's a good idea about contacting the druid.."

Though she does wonder how he had done that.. must be a druid thing.

"I think Kriv and Chandan may have thawed a little to each other. Chandan has promised to check with us before killing any prisoners. I hope Kriv has accepted this. He is very stern and difficult to read."

She sighs softly, then adds with a small smile..

"Anyway I'll sleep better knowing you are safe."

Last edited by Gypsy; Wed 10/02/16 13:14 UTC.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Neptune, Zeim 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Talon475, Randal Trimmer, Kimf, Yvon, TennesseeBaron
177 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Zeim
Member Spotlight
Lionhawke
Lionhawke
Seattle, WA, USA
Forum Statistics
Forums103
Topics2,840
Posts140,697
Members177
Most Online296
Jan 19th, 2020
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
†Restricted forums can only be accessed by DreamLyrics members of the age of 18 years or older. Access which is granted by the Behind Closed Doors Procedure.
™DreamLyrics Play-by-Post. DreamLyrics Play-by-Post does not own copyright on DreamLyrics texts or graphics, except trademarked DreamLyrics logos and logotypes. The works contained in DreamLyrics are copyrighted (automatically, under the Berne Convention) by the original authors and may be available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence. (See Copyrights for details.)
Privacy Policy