Eye of the Dragon
DreamLyrics Play-by-Post
Who's Online Now
1 members (Miales), 11 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Dice Roller
You will need to enable Javascript in order to view the Dice Roller.
Games Recruiting List

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Wizop
Administrator
Online Content
Wizop
Administrator
Tindarien

He takes a moment just to breathe, turning as Zoltan arrives.

"That warning was most timely. How did you know it was here?"

He only glances at the paladin, his eyes are scanning the sky, but his curiosity needs to be satisfied.

"It seems like our new halfling friend is constructing an aid for us to cross."

He includes Jex in his conversation.

"I will cross last. I have feather fall and can bring the rope with me."

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Zoltan

"I was in meditation and so was more attuned to my surroundings than I might have otherwise been", he looks as if he is concerned about something else as he speaks.

"I noted a sudden increase in the flow of cold air, but very low lying, as if something that could create such frigid air was about, but not from above. The only thing I knew could produce such was the Wyrm, and it made sense it was trying to sneak up from below."

He nods at Tindarien's final comment, dropping the sack of remaining equipment that had been left behind to the ground and knocking an arrow to his bow.

"I will keep watch while the rope is secured in case it returns again."

nem Offline OP
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
OP Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
GM

Tindarien had his face upturned when he saw something dropping out of the night sky towards him. A glint of starlight of a narrow beam. For a split second he might have thought it was the log bridge, but no, it had been knocked into the chasm.

Dodging and warning the others would be easy enough, though as it landed the high elf realised the scale was wrong. It clattered against the hard ground at his feet, more like a branch than a tree.

Stepping closer, he saw a staff of pale ashwood, carved with flutes by elven hands and a sling tied to one end. He knew it well, it was Nestaron's staff.

Looking around, calling out, it didn't matter, no-one could see or hear the cleric on either side of the chasm.

The white wyrm's deep, resonant voice rolled down from the peak, echoing through the river valley.

"I think your healer was right after all. I do need healing." It said from afar, coughing wetly, "But so do you, and now I have your healer."

The halfling threw the coil to Jex, who caught it first time.

Jex, Tindarien and Zoltan on the near side. D, Sergeant Almador, Weston and Seyja, on the far side with their halfling guide.

Nestaron was gone.

Chaotic Obfuscator
Chaotic Obfuscator
D

He strained to see the evil wyrm, to find a spot to stick his thrown weapons. If he could offer assistance to those coming across he would do so.

Jex
He needed to work quickly. He found a well-rooted tree and wrapped the rope around it's trunk twice before drawing it very tight and tying it securely. Once done, he checks it and if he feels it's secure, he gets ready to start walking across the tight rope.

M
M
<Weston>

He saw the others across the chasm scrambling, heard =that= voice again, he searched for a target ... but did not see one. But it would have to present a target if it wanted to attack, so he continued his vigil, arrow knocked and ready!

MikeD
Seyja

Her first instinct was to charge in the direction the evil wyrm's voice sounded from, but she knew her chance of rescuing Nestaron or defeating the dragon were negligible at best.

So, greataxe in hand she moved a few steps in the direction she wanted to charge and stood as front line guard until the rest of their group could cross the chasm and assemble their forces.

Wizop
Administrator
Online Content
Wizop
Administrator
Tindarien

He feels the blow like he would a physical assault. Nestaron is more than a companion to him. They had travelled together for some time and had become friends of a sort. Heilbutt too. Heilbutt is gone but Tindarien is not about to abandon another friend whilst there is still hope.

But he feels the frustration as he looks around at their group. Many are not in good shape.

"We cannot abandon Nestaron. Many of us would not be here now were it not for him. I have two potions of healing. Can we gather enough of us together now and finish this? Anyone else have anything to offer?"

M
M
[[ not sure ... does Weston still have a potion or was it =his= that was used during the previous fight? ]]

MikeD
nem Offline OP
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
OP Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
[Weston drank his own healing potion (courtesy of Almador). The main problem will be scouting out the entrance to dragon's lair by night. Not an easy task in broad daylight, let alone in the middle of the night.

And of course, the dragon has your measure now. It knows to keep its distance and use its breath weapon.

At least it has good reason to keep Nestaron alive (to heal it). Tindarien might not accept it readily, but it might be best to find this halfling's safe haven, recoup as best you can, and tackle the challenge in the morning light.

It's very unlikely a blizzard dragon, wounded as it is, will venture out in the fierce summer sun. So by day, you should be able to hunt it in its cave.]

M
M
[[ thanks ... just wanted to be sure on the potion. Ummm which of us would know enough dragon lore to come up with your idea? I know Weston wouldn't be the one for =that=! <g> ]]

MikeD
nem Offline OP
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
OP Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
[Well, we've learned that Weston grew up in Axis -- metallic dragon central -- and wanted to be a dragon rider when he was older. Maybe he knows more dragon lore than you think? razz ]

M
M
[[ OK ... so what sort of 'dragon lore' would be common knowledge in Axis? Anything that would seem applicable to our situation? ]]

MikeD
nem Offline OP
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
OP Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
[I expect he'd know what we discussed in the above post. It's nothing esoteric. Other PCs might have knowledge. Jex would certainly have formidable knowledge of dragons, for example.

The PCs' backgrounds are there to be used. In 13th Age it's for the player to convince us through their role-playing, why so-and-so knows X about Y.]

M
M
[[ OK ... I =do= like that idea about 13th age. My problem is that =I= don't know enough about the world (yet) to 'extrapolate' answers. So I have to ask questions here that I might not have to ask in a different 'setting' <g>

So ... would there have been any knowledge 'floating around' Axis that would give Weston some sort of insight into how best to fight it ... or even a guess at what sort of tactics it might use against them? ]]

MikeD
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
OOC - In many ways I get the impression it is somewhat: "Make it up. As long as you can justify it we'll just add it to the world lore."

So, IOW, if you want to create some sort of anti-dragon tactic that people with 'dragon lore' know, go ahead and make it up out of whole cloth.

nem Offline OP
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
OP Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
[You got it Zeim.

On a pure mechanics level, it makes more sense for the party to corner the dragon in its lair so it can't fly. It does expose them to its Wreath of Snow and Cold effect, yes, but that's better than it circling overhead and breathing on you with relative impunity. So in-character, Weston could extrapolate on that.]

M
M
<Weston>

"If you can help Nestaron", he said looking at Tindarien, "I would appreciate it." He turned to include the others. "The more immediate problem is the dragon. We need to see if we can drive the creature back into it's lair if we can. We will be better able to control and confront it there than out in the open."

[[ While I agree with a lot of what you say Zeim, I have to say that it is too easy to take it too far. "I remember in my youth when I heard that if I blew ground pepper into the face of a dragon it would roll over and die" seems a bit of a stretch <g> There needs to be some basis <wink>

Neil, thanks. Just wanted to be sure we were both on the same page and I was able to offer something better than 'ground pepper' <weg> ]]

MikeD
[[ I think where Zeim and Mike are coming from is rooted in DnD 4e monster knowledge. Based on a 1-time roll of the dice, a character has certain levels of knowledge which means that the DM divulges different levels of information (it's cumulative, of course).

If the modified roll is a 15, it's name, type and keywords
If the modified roll is a 20, it's powers (attack forms)
If the modified roll is a 25, it's resistances and vulnerabilities

With that information in hand, players could make decisions about how to respond to the threat.
]]

Chaotic Obfuscator
Chaotic Obfuscator
[OOC Well another note, if the idea goes too far, your pepper example. Just let it be folklore and have the monster laugh at them. I do that all the time in vampire games.]

M
M
[[ Nep, there is some basis there ... that is certainly what I was thinking about when I mentioned 'other settings' <g> But it was more like I was saying that what I was used to is different from this so I could use a bit of guidance here <g> pande, I like the idea of 'getting it wrong' <g> But since I don't know enough about the setting, I was looking for a bit of 'guidance' as to what Weston might know about dragons. I think the post above is about right for what I think he could 'know' about dragons (thanks Neil <g>). ]]

MikeD
nem Offline OP
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
OP Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Sergeant Almador

He looked around for the holy man himself. Sergeant Almador liked Nestaron and felt safer when he was around. His wisdom could be relied on, and his knowledge of the spirit realm made the dark less foreboding.

But Almador couldn't see the half elf and another cold pang of grief crept into his soul when he heard Tindarien's tone of voice.

"I will do whatever it takes to slay the Beast and rescue Nestaron!" He called across the chasm.

He had nothing more to offer than that, however. Weston's counsel seemed wise, given it was the middle of the night.

nem Offline OP
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
OP Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
GM

The diminutive tribesman worked quickly and silently until their makeshift rope bridge was secured.

"Come!" He hissed, gesturing to those on oposite side of the chasm. "Like you say, we hunt dragon in lair." The halfing nodded to Weston, "When sun rise. By day, it cannot fly under summer sun. No escape for it."

Despite circumstances, it was a balmy summer night now that the white wyrm had retreated. The stars were out, though there was very little moonlight and the slopes were doused in deep, indecipherable shadows, deeper under the trees.

Would you search the hills by night, for an entrance into the dragon's lair? Or would you follow the halfling, seek shelter and resume your quest by dawn's early light?

Which would best serve the quest? Which would best serve Nestaron? Which would best serve you?

(Either way, the party first had to cross the chasm and regroup.)

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Zoltan

Once the bridge is secure, he will cross to the other side and then cover anyone remaining.

M
M
<Weston>

Despite their guide's declaration that the dragon had fled, he continued to scan the area, arrow at the ready to cover his companions while they crossed the rope bridge.

But the idea to wait till the morning for their hunt made a lot of sense.

MikeD
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  nem 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Talon475, Randal Trimmer, Kimf, Yvon, Xiang Chin
177 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Member Spotlight
nem
nem
GMT 0
Forum Statistics
Forums103
Topics2,815
Posts139,433
Members177
Most Online296
Jan 19th, 2020
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
†Restricted forums can only be accessed by DreamLyrics members of the age of 18 years or older. Access which is granted by the Behind Closed Doors Procedure.
™DreamLyrics Play-by-Post. DreamLyrics Play-by-Post does not own copyright on DreamLyrics texts or graphics, except trademarked DreamLyrics logos and logotypes. The works contained in DreamLyrics are copyrighted (automatically, under the Berne Convention) by the original authors and may be available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence. (See Copyrights for details.)
Privacy Policy