Eye of the Dragon
DreamLyrics Play-by-Post
Who's Online Now
1 members (Miales), 37 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Dice Roller
You will need to enable Javascript in order to view the Dice Roller.
Games Recruiting List

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
#822224 Sun 02/08/15 20:30 UTC
nem Offline OP
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
OP Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
[Also see HHE5: Interlude]

GM

The first light of day.

The eastern horizon was a pale silver blossom and the soft shadows below were blued. The gentle lapping of waves could be heard down on the shore, but all was quiet and calm.

A ginger tom slinked across the street, suddenly pausing mid-stride with its ears pricked up.

Zoltan came walking uphill from the town below, looking relaxed and carrying his sword belt over his shoulder. The cat stared at him fearlessly -- like it wouldn't move for a rampaging land shark -- until Zoltan got within about 10 feet when it hastily fled, panicky over a low stone wall, pausing but once more to disdain the tiefling while showing him its bum-hole.

All of you were soon assembled in the courtyard, in front of the gatehouse, yawning as you double-checked the straps and ties on your packs.

Heilbutt had lashed together his and Nestaron's packs, and the half-orc was the closest thing you had to a beast of burden. With the treasure also distributed amongst you, a hard day of hiking lay ahead.

The local shepherd, Irt, leaned on his crook, munching on a leek and watching your preparations with the blank expression of someone who spent far too much time alone in the hills. A creamy-coloured sheepdog sat next to him, wearing a spiked collar. Although looking like an implement of war, the spiked collar was commonly worn by sheepdogs on the Sword Point, intended to protect the neck from wolves and lions. The dog itself was a stocky breed, with a broad, bear-like head and black eyes and nose. It had a friendly, eager face.

Although it was the coldest time of day, it still didn't feel cold to you, newly arrived as you were from more northerly climes.

Captain Achelus was feeling the chill though, and wore a quilted overgown as he walked amongst you. He was otherwise alert and in good cheer; remarkable, considering his inebriated state at supper.

Master Casados and some of the sailors had already been and gone, wishing you a safe onwards journey. The Issitia would sail with the morning tide, round the Sword Point and call in at the south coast village of Stiltstrand. From there, it would sail straight to the fabled city of Horizon and then east-south-east into the unrelenting heat of the Dragon Empire's south, destined for Santa Cora.

Your journey would be far shorter, but no less adventurous. The rugged wilderness that awaited you was untouched by settlers or tribes. There were no roads running through it, not even a beaten path. The interior of the Sword Point was generally considered to be of no interest to anyone. You couldn't know what you would find there, let alone at the Titan's Elbow.

It promised to be a long day.

As people rising too early tended to, everyone spoke in hushed tones or muffled grunts. A clock would have said a quarter to six.

Outside in the street, the Sergeant of the Guard stood facing his family, some nine of them. There were another eight grandchildren not present, probably still asleep in their beds.

They whispered and hugged, clapped shoulders and swapped meaningful looks. Finally, Sergeant Almador turned to his wife and kissed her on the forehead. Her eyes were as red-rimmed as Heilbutt's, and he hadn't slept a wink.

"I will see you four days hence, petal. I love you." He said earnestly, and she nodded speechless in reply, stepping away into the arms of her children.

There was a gargling bellow as Heilbutt yawned mightily, grabbing the attention of most onlookers. He didn't seem to notice though, hefting the pack onto his back and picking up his spear.

Captain Achelus wished Zoltan and Weston the best. He also assured them that the town's guard would stand at battle readiness until the threat of the haunted helm was past.

Several of you spotted the Seneschal watching blankly from behind one of the tower's windows, and for a while you thought that perhaps the Baronessa wasn't going to appear. Yet she did, once you were all formed up in a line with the shepherd at the head.

She wore a full-length hooded cloak of bright saffron, that made it seem as though she was gliding not walking along your line. The eye-catching colour in that pale, fore-dawn light lifted the spirits, almost like the sunrise in itself. The Sergeant's family and men-at-arms were obviously impressed; their eyes could barely be wider.

Lady Morgen petted the sheepdog's head, smiling fondly before turning to you.

"You have an hour before dawn. An arduous journey ahead maybe, but the good will of this town at your back. Si, this is my dominion but I am in no position to give you orders... if I were I would command just this: Return."

Chaotic Obfuscator
Online Content
Chaotic Obfuscator
D

He watched her move. That was the first concious thing he had done. Much of his prep had been done the night before. This morning was merely automatic double checking. His hands wandered over his clothing. Sharp people might note an incredible array of small black points here and there.

Satisfied he nodded to the Lady. "Would it be in my destiny, I will. I feel like we have more to discuss."

Seyja

The barbarian woman happened to be looking in Helibutt's direction when the half-orc issued his jaw-cracking yawn. It was impressive and contagious, too, and she yawned, also, then stretched and shivered slightly in the slightly cool morning air.

Then Seyja took a final bite from the piece of crusty bread in her hand, tossing the bit that was left toward some pigeons in the courtyard.

"Can't return 'til we leave."

M
M
<Weston>

Rising early was something he was quite used to. In town it was the best time to get things done, while working the caravans, you =never= wasted light. OK, so he was still a bit 'drowsy', not having completely adjusted to the chance from ship to shore, but still ... he was ready to get on the road ... or trail ... or path.

In any event, he was ready to get started with his gear all sorted, the added weight of his share of the 'stuff', he tried not to think of it as 'treasure', that sort of wealth made him nervous, they were returning to the 'grave' ... or whatever it was ... carefully packed so that it would not shift at an inopportune time and throw him off balance.

He nodded his appreciation to the Captain for his words. "Keep your people safe, that is =your= mission", he said with a smile. He smiled as the Lady bid them return. He liked her, despite her 'position'. She seemed a very down to earth person despite it all. He like that ... and her. But he also knew that was about the extent of anything 'between them'. So he decided to remain silent.

MikeD
nem Offline OP
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
OP Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
[Recruiting for this player character. Send PM for details]

Jex

He tugged the felt cap down over his unruly mop of curly, gingery hair, after throwing on his own pack. He felt the weight of the water the most and was already looking forward to being rid of it.

As always he was fluted and luted. There was no way he was wearing that ridiculous rapier on his belt though; he'd break his neck tripping over it! So he'd tied it to his pack and hoped not to need it. He had several far smaller, handier blades within easy reach if need be.

He grinned at Seyja's comment.

"Too early for me to muster any such wit!" He said. And for him it was, an entertainer who worked mostly by night and often well-lubricated. Early starts were not his forte.

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Tindarien

He stands close to Nestaron and Heilbutt, his stance easy, keen to get going. He is carrying his own pack and share of the hoard they are returning.

He nods to the Captain and to the Baronessa. Everything that needed to be said has already been discussed. He is ready and wearing his new headgear.

Last edited by Gypsy; Mon 03/08/15 11:37 UTC.
nem Offline OP
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
OP Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
[Ghosted for Owain]

Nestaron

So Sergeant Almador was joining them. It was his choice, and Nestaron didn't think there was a right or wrong to that decision.

The half-elf nodded his head in greeting to Lady Morgen, smiling as she petted the thickly furred sheepdog.

He admired her love of animals but had his concerns. Her two bear cubs were adorable now, but what when they reached adulthood? They were black bears, not toys, they would weigh as much as a grown man.

Would they be abandoned to the wild where they'd inevitably die of starvation? Or perhaps sold to a travelling circus, or worse, to pitfighters?

However tempting it was to bring nature closer to home, sometimes it was best left well alone. Nature was outside of every porch and every gatehouse. All you had to do was walk.

This reminded Nestaron of their day's goal, as much as Seyja's remark.

"You are most gracious, Baronessa. Until our next meeting then, may you and your town fare well." He said, tapping his quarterstaff on the cobblestones and nodding to Irt.

(Buffalo)
Online Busy
(Buffalo)
Zoltan

He saunters up the hill to the assemblage, whistling a merry tune softly to himself. He quickly goes inside and gathers up the rest of his gear, then returns outside, nodding to the Sergeant amiably.

When the Baroness appears and offers her words, he grins slightly. "How could I do anything else? After your promise?"

nem Offline OP
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
OP Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
GM

"I could say the same to you." Captain Achelus said to Weston with a grin, shaking his hand. He also returned Tindarien's nod with a look that seemed to say 'Remember what I said'.

The Baronessa meanwhile tilted her head in subtle affirmation, by way of reply (to Zoltan or D?).

Perhaps there was the crease of a smile at the corner of her mouth for Zoltan, perhaps a nervous twitch of her eyebrow for D, but she remained the noblewoman and when she spoke, she spoke to everyone.

"Adios." She said quietly.

Lady Morgen drew the satiny yellow cloak around and stepped back. There were hesitant waves from the Sergeant's family and Irt gave a short sharp whistle. His dog sprang to its feet, tail wagging and loped off in the direction shown by the shepherd's crook.

"Go on, off wid ya, Wanshanks!" Grumbled Irt, setting out after his dog.

Sergeant Almador looked over his shoulder at you, then back to his family. Was he out of his depth? He wore his brigandine and a wide-brimmed kettle hat of steel. He could reply on his partisan is a staff of sorts, and he'd need it. He was past his prime and fattened by years of stable, comfortable home life. The Sergeant also now carried the haunted helm of his grandfather, Gorulon Gorehound, in his pack. He felt its weight in more ways than one.

Almodor hitched up his belt and put his best foot forward, as did the rest of you.

The sun rose in the east with a fanfare of glorious light on the far horizon. Warm rays stretched out across the sea and sky, and where they went the richness of colour bloomed. The highest of the east-facing mountains glowed like embers, as day slowly unfurled itself down their sides.

You breathed deeply through your nose as you walked along the wilderness trail. You had been concentrating on your footing in the dimmer light, but the pensive birdsong around you suddenly took on a more gregarious tone. There were flapping wings in the treetops and you could hear the forest coming alive as morning dawned on the lower slopes too. Raising your gaze, you found everyone in the party had taken a moment's pause.

You stood in a single file, in the hills high above the town. Looking back you could see Rosencliff from above and behind, not that there was much to see from this angle. The curtain wall and gatehouse, the Baronessa's keep, all visible, as was the fine caravel, The Issitia, anchored out in the blue waters. But most of the town was hidden from view by the steepness of the slope on which it was built.

A rutted road led out of town from the gatehouse and meandered up through terraced fields, petering out as it encroached on the forest. There was a donkey cart on the road, just leaving town, and a broken string of field hands ambling along. Doubtful they could pick you out amongst the trees and underbrush.

Wanshanks the sheepdog woofed gaily. Up ahead there was a blur of spotted, honey-coloured fur and striped, bushy tails as two genets shot across the trail, with winged fairies clinging to their ears. The gabbling of the wee folk sounded like a cross between a frog, a cricket and two rock sparrows having a dust up.

Irt grabbed his dog's collar and hauled back on it.

"Feckless fairies!" Grumbled the shepherd, chewing on a wheat straw. "Ever ya do, don't follow dem, begorra! Tiddly little blaggards love getting folks lost, so dey do."

The genets and their rider-tormentors disappeared into the forest that surrounded you. Above knee height the forest was open and airy, sun now sieving through the leaves, creating a fretwork of mellow shadow under the trees. Where you stood there was a break in the trees, of course, affording the view, but even in other directions you could see for 20 yards or so into the forest. With the pleasant warmth of morning and touch of breeze from the coast, there was nothing of immediate concern except enjoying the walk perhaps.

[The player characters will now be asked a special question, to which they must respond. This represents the general chit-chat amongst the party during this stage, but may also offer you and others an insight into your character.]

nem Offline OP
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
OP Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
[Ghosted for Neptune]

Jex

Hopefully the fairy folk would be less rampant inland. He had bad memories of trying to camp in Fey domains before. Not a wink of sleep all night with their irksome pranks.

As one would expect from a jester, Jex was an adroit prankster. Adroit. That meant he knew when pranking stopped being funny and started being irritating.

Fey did not have this capacity in his experience.

Otherwise, Jex was bouyant. The walk was vigorous but easy, the weather and scenery quite lovely. (He did suspect this might change around the midday mark.)

There had been some conversation along the line, about could've done in Gorulon and Red Ed, and whether it could've effected the haunting of the helm.

A fine summer's day was a great time for talk of death!

"Ah, I suppose we'll find out exactly how they met their doom." He said aloud.

"Say, here's a question for you!" Jex continued, "How do you think that you'll die?"

M
M
<Weston>

He walked in silence, lost in thought, lost in the beauty of this place. And it =was= a strikingly beautiful area, but scary at the same time. Very different from the places he had been leading caravans ... one misstep and your body might never be found. Surprisingly the 'climb' felt safer than the subsequent descent. That was probably because while walking up hill the most likely thing would be to fall on your face. Walking down hill it felt like he had to fight to keep his feet from speeding up.

Mind your step, he reminded himself. Don't loose yourself in the beauty or you might loose yourself over a cliff.

But all that 'concern' didn't detract from his appreciation of the stark beauty of the place. the trees and shrubs 'clinging' to what seemed like bare rock, eking out a life ... the rugged 'sculpture' that was the mountain itself had their own stark beauty.

But still he had to mind his step.

It was very different to see a river from this vantage, he thought ... the river winding it's way through the mountains came into view. It sparkled like gems in the sun. From their 'vantage' it seemed much smaller than it had from the ship when they passed the mouth where it spilled out into the sea.

Still, he had to mind his step.

"I =think= that I shall live forever", he said with a grin. "No sense having a wish like that to be fulfilled!"

MikeD
Seyja

The tall, lithe barbarian walked with an easy, agile stride, her muscular rear moving in taut figure-eights with each step. Seyja felt almost at home for the first time since she'd left the gypsy camp and, as she walked, she pulled several pine needles from a path-side tree, crushed them in her hand and inhaled their pungent aroma.

She smiled and shrugged when she saw the fey up ahead, having never had much problem with such.

The question, however, caused her to miss a step and frown. The frown deepened at Weston's answer.

"Not me... The Iron Skull will kill me unless I can kill him first."

M
M
<Weston>

"Then all you need to do is see yourself as the victor in any such encounter. You have all of us at your side, after all", he said with a wink.

MikeD
Seyja

She grinned crookedly, but only briefly, at his rejoinder.

"Any help you can offer will be welcome," she said, "but even if we can destroy that menace and his horde, what do we do when the Orc Lord takes a hand?"

nem Offline OP
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
OP Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
[Ghosted for Owain]

Nestaron

The half-elf leaned on his quarterstaff and absorbed the view. He felt entirely at home in the wilderness, but was glad for the flexibility of his brigandine. No wonder Sir Edward the Red hadn't attempted the journey in full plate.

He didn't consider himself to have an inquisitive nature. Mindful, observant certainly. Nonetheless, he wanted to know why this Iron Skull was dogging Seyja's steps, and it had to do with the Orc Lord.

Nestaron felt it was a discussion they should have whilst sitting though, or at least eye-to-eye.

As for Jex, the man had guile but the question had spiritual merit on such a fine day. Only by confronting death could one truly appreciate life.

"I fear I will die alone, driven apart from everyone by my convictions." He said slowly, but added, "Yet I hope to die peacefully, alone in the wild, having said my farewells to my loved ones.

"Interesting that the two are so similar! And what about you, jester? I take it you don't want to die at sea."

nem Offline OP
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
OP Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
[Ghosted for Neptune]

Jex

"The gods truly can be praised!! You made a joke, holy man!" He laughed.

Though Nestaron had a point, after his experience on The Issitia Jex never wanted to set foot on another ship as long as he lived. Or died.

"I myself now suspect I will get killed by the Orc Lord, thank you Seyja. Though it might be worth it for the chance to play in his court! Can you imagine it? Toughest audience ever!"

(Buffalo)
Online Busy
(Buffalo)
Zoltan

He enjoys the wilderness, noting the edible berries and roots they pass along the way and noting any tracks he sees in case they need to hunt or something dangerous is wandering around nearby.

At Jex's question he chuckles. "Well, given my choice, it would be in the bed of a beautiful woman, a glass of expensive and rare vintage wine in one hand, and the woman's....", he glances at Seyja, pauses, chuckles again and changes his phrasing, "...the woman in the other. However given my honest expectations, I will be alone, hungry, tired, and bloody."

M
M
<Weston>

"You are a pessimistic lot", he said with a chuckle. "Assuming we survive =this= you all =may= get your respective wishes. Otherwise we shall all die together fighting this evil", he said with a chuckle that suggested he did not expect to die any time soon.

MikeD
Seyja

"Oh, I am not pessimistic, if indeed that word means what I think it does." She shook her head and scowled.

"I just know that the Iron Skull, once he sets out to do something, does it."

Seyja took a drink from her waterskin and wiped her mouth with the back of her hand, giving a sardonic snort as she noticed the way Zoltan included her, at least visually, in his statement.

"He... or it, intends to capture me and that I will not allow."

She shrugged her muscular shoulders.

"So either he or I will die."

Chaotic Obfuscator
Online Content
Chaotic Obfuscator
D

He heard it all the time. People made light of what could be and what wasn't. Should he join in? His perspective was so much more skewed than theirs. They didn't know what they said. They didn't understand how death was not even really a doorway in the journey. It was merely a step that could be taken at any time both directions. Different states of being like awake or asleep, or hungry or not hungry.

Finally he offers "death is not what you think it is. To you it seems like this is a finite existence, and that death is the transitional moment to the next state. Dead or alive, neither matters, actions matter." His words offer a harshness in tone as well as meaning.

"Seyja, should this thing come for you. I will stand with you to destroy it. Know that all things can be destroyed. Nigh unkillable undead assassins, even the Orc Lord for that matter." Again he sounded convinced of his words.

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Tindarien

He is enjoying being out of doors, looking around him with interest and watching the antics of his ferret, Farvi, who ran around the forest floor and then climbed his leg to nestle on Tindarien's shoulder, rearranging the new headgear to accommodate his sinewy body.

He listens to his companions chatter, offering his own perspective more to be a part of the team than any real interest in the topic. He glances at D as he does so.

"Well I am intending to dedicate my life to ensuring that the dead stay dead. Certainly whatever my fate is, I hope that I do not return an abomination."

He looks over at Seyja.

"Should we know something of this Iron Skull if it may be that we encounter him here?"

M
M
<Weston>

"Well I don't know", he began hesitantly, "death seems pretty final to me", he finished with more conviction. "Least ways I have yet to meet anyone who has stopped being dead", he said with a shrug.

MikeD
(Buffalo)
Online Busy
(Buffalo)
Zoltan

He nods agreement to D's statement that actions matter, but withholds comment about death and life being the same, just different aspects of existence.

When Tindarien asks for details about 'Iron Skull', he turns his head to listen. Anything that might help in a fight against him, were he to show up, could be useful.

nem Offline OP
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
OP Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Heilbutt

Carrying two packs on his brawny shoulders, his spear becomes more of a walking pole on the hike. So far he hadn't felt the need for the wide-brimmed straw hat he'd obtained in town, but with the heat of the morning sun being comparable to mid-afternoon on a very hot day in the Wake Islands, he feared he was going to need the hat soon enough.

When the genet-riding fairies shot across the trail, Heilbutt prepared to pounce on Tindarien's ferret before it could take off after them, but the sorceror's familiar showed uncanny wisdom in returning to its master instead.

He copied Seyja and crushed some of the long pine needles in his hand, to smell them. It was like an infusion of the smell all around them. Dry, woody, fragrant.

Nestaron had told him these trees were mostly cluster pines and chestnut. Heilbutt didn't know the names but was fascinated by these woods, their apparent uniformity compared to northern woods. They were very pleasant but the half-orc wondered how hospitable they were.

Listening to the others talk about death, he scratched the back of his neck, failing to think of an answer. Where he came from, people died young and in such varied and unpredictable ways, he wasn't imaginative enough to narrow them down.

Maybe Jex had the closest thing to answer? He shrugged, muttering, "Falling in battle is as likely a doom as any right now."

Heilbutt wasn't going to let this Iron Skull or the Orc Lord himself take Seyja without a fight, not if she didn't want to go. He shivered at Tindarien's words though. The thought of being turned into one of those things they encountered yesterday in the storm made his skin crawl.

nem Offline OP
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
OP Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
[Ghosted for Neptune]

Jex

"If I die like Zoltan here intends to, I won't want to come back!" He said to Weston, "Unless it's to die in exactly the same way again."

This and Tindarien's remarks made him ponder why the undead always seemed such relentless stick-in-the-muds. Why come back if you're going to insist on having such a miserable time?

He tried to listen to the Iron Skull talk and not get lost in his own musings.

Seyja

She nodded at D's comments but, simultaneously, frowned and shrugged her muscular shoulders.

"You may well be correct but, once you're dead, it's done. I agree that how you live is more important than how you die, but I do not want to die for nothing."

Seyja frowned and thought for several long moments before answering the next question.

"The Iron Skull is a construct of sorts. Like, I guess, animated armor but almost unbelievably powerful. He commands a huge horde of orcs and he works at the behest of the Orc Lord."

She went on to explain, as best she could, what she knew of the Iron Skull.

Chaotic Obfuscator
Online Content
Chaotic Obfuscator
D

"You are all living under an illusion. Your statement is false. Once you are dead, you are merely dead. That is not the end. Torment exists beyond. Many things exist long after what you consider life has ended."

He listened to her description and knew of the sort. Mechanical abominations he understood even if he couldn't remember having met one. They had something in common with things he had met and destroyed. They all thought they were immortal and couldn't be destroyed. That was something he had excelled at, when he wasn't what he is now. Well he still had talent, even if his body was more fragile.

nem Offline OP
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
OP Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
[Ghosted for Owain]

Nestaron

The tale of the Iron Skull sounded like something a bard might tell. The forgeborn were a race created by the dwarves but Nestaron knew little else than that.

One thing he did know was that creating intelligent beings from inanimate materials had been tried by many wizards. All they'd achieved was to create automatons, either slaves to their creator's will, or themselves shallow impressions of it.

The dwarves had taken a different approach, using the raw power of the magic that coursed through the world, to create a spark. A spark of intelligence that could grow and learn, and so be truly alive.

And that was both marvellous and irresponsible. How could a flesh-and-blood wizard empathise with one of their forgeborn? They had made creatures that were destined for alienation.

This Iron Skull was worse still. Its creator had made it to be alienated, filled it with malice and hatred.

Nestaron sighed and shook his head. He was disturbed that such a thing could be serving the Orc Lord, more so that it was chasing Seyja. But why?

He didn't ask. The half-elf was a listener, willing and eager, but he never pried. So he tried to assist the woman, and picked up D's remark instead.

"We all take a different journey, D. It is the foundation of Creation.

"And what about you, Sergeant Almador?" He asked the townsman.

Nestaron hadn't missed the implication behind D's words either. He had concerns about the dark elf, but the day was still young.

nem Offline OP
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
OP Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Sergeant Almador

He'd been lost in thought. The hike so far had brought back many memories. He'd played in the fields as a child and as he grew to adolescence, him and other children from town had ventured into the woods.

And while he remembered the shenanigans they'd gotten up to, he suddenly realised they were approaching the bowers of his life's experience, the farthest he'd ever been inland.

He could turn around and see the town where he'd lived his entire life, clear as day. Yet in a hundred more paces or so, he would be a stranger in these lands.

Almador gulped and tilted back his kettle hat. It was unsettling.

He was a bit startled when the half-elf spoke his name. He'd caught the gist of the conversation though.

"I would rather not say, sir, lest I tempt fate."

For the Sergeant, this quest already felt very fateful.

Jex

"But you have tempted fate by joining us today. We're a merry band of brothers and sisters now, our fates are intertwined and we are as one. Be not so shy about your fears my good friend. We all have them and I, for one, do not believe that fate is set in stone. There are many paths we can meander down. Only the past is set. The future is etched in mud."

nem Offline OP
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
OP Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Sergeant Almador

He scowled. He really didn't want to tempt fate, but maybe the jester was right. Almador spent most of last night deliberating to a similar theme.

If he stayed at home, did he doom his family with his grandfather's curse? If he went, was he just repeating his grandfather's mistake? Both had a ring of fatedness about them.

His wife hadn't wanted him to go, yet in the end it was she who convinced him. She said no-one expected him to go, no-one was asking him to, he may as well stay home as he'd of no help to the adventurers.

He'd hate himself if the townsfolk thought of him like that. His wife knew it, knew exactly what she was saying, and she was right. He had to go.

Almador nudged a large, loose rock out of the path with the butt of his partisan.

"Then I can only say that I hope I die one harvest festival," he said, "indulging to the fullest and merry-making with my family...

"And I apologise to them now, if that spoils their evening."

Jex
"Ah yes. To die with a smile on your face, like Zoltan wishes to do. I cannot argue with that! But that was not the question I asked. What I asked was 'How do you think that you'll die?' which is a completely different matter. Yes, it is probing, I admit. And more uncomfortable too. Yet there is a point to the question. I deal in morale and now that you have joined our merry party, we are each of us each others responsibility. It is my responsibility to make sure you can fight through your fears. To do that, I must know them. But do not feel forced to speak up. Perhaps now is not the time."

nem Offline OP
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
OP Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
GM

The slope steepened sharply for a few yards and then you crested a false ridge. It afforded you a better view ahead though. The slope continued upwards, thickly forested until it became a craggy cliff of pale rock.

Irt chewed his straw, while Wanshanks loped off up the trail.

"Hi ho! We follow dis berm sout for anoder mile, and den we come to a proper ridge-line and cross beyond."

He popped the cork out of a clay flagon he carried on a length of rope and took a swig.

"Me own self, will prolly cark it same way's me grampa and pa. Just drop dead, so dey did. One dropped dead off a cliff, other dropped dead after a quart of orujo." He grumbled, patting the cork back in and setting out in the direction he'd indicated.

The shepherd points out caves high up in the cliff, explaining they were made by the gnomish shepherds who inhabited these lands in a bygone age. Gnomes were famed for their patience, and once they were more associated with shepherds and anglers, than with clerks and accountants.

Irt's great-great-grandfather had reclaimed one of the caves and Irt still used it. There were some blankets and firewood stashed in the cave that you were welcome to, if you were ever passing. However, it wasn't the path you'd be taking on this trip; yours would lead you down to the river eventually.

[We will close out this conversation for now. Post if you want to continue it, otherwise I'll keep us moving.]

M
M
<Weston>

The 'history lesson' didn't hold a lot of interest, neither did Jex and his inquisition aimed at the Sergeant. No, it was the stark beauty of the mountains all around them. OK ... it was =kinda= interesting that gnomes used to live around here, but not enough to take his attention away from the rocks and the trees and shrubs that were fighting to eek out a life here. They were dwarfed from not having a lot of soil to support them, twisted too as they grew at odd angles from the rocks where their seeds had sprouted, before pointing to the sky.

MikeD
Chaotic Obfuscator
Online Content
Chaotic Obfuscator
D

He had said too much. He hadn't intended to debate reality with them. Yet he was alao sure that they all might not make it back the way they thought. Even living, through a journey changed a being. For now he kept his mouth shut and one foot in front of the other. They had a ways to go and it would likely be dangerous.

nem Offline OP
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
OP Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
GM

The Sergeant didn't answer Jex then. Maybe it was like asking the same question of a soldier on the eve of a battle. Death was too close to consider, without risking despair or terror.

So south you walked, following the shepherd along a natural berm, with protruding tree roots being the only obstacle. The knight could have ridden this way easily. The earth was hard with a carpet of crisp, dry litter, so you could see where you were stepping and the trees were far enough apart that you wouldn't even need to dismount.

Soon the berm intersected with a true ridge-line, framed by another break in the trees ahead and looking like a gateway or sorts.

You stood on that sunny ledge and stared out, south-west. A spectacular vista.

The Scintilla River wound inland like a mirrored serpent, cutting through the rock, creating shelves of steep cliff that stepped down to the river's banks. On the bottom shelf, sandy beaches and boulders, the next shelf up was shallow and wide, plush with verdure, then the steep, weather-worn cliffs to the top some 1000 feet above the river.

The terrain above was also rugged, like a stormy sea, one low, sharp ridge after another, each as unremittingly wooded as the next.

And then you saw it. A darker form on the horizon, a massive karst archway that straddled the river valley, perhaps another 1000 feet high at its peak, sky shining through the hole at its bottom and looking very much like the elbow of a titan.

If you followed the river, you literally could not miss it. There would be more climbing up and down perhaps, but pathfinding would be straightforward, every pace would be in the right direction. No time wasted. You would be trading headaches for sweat.

"Oh, have a helluva crack dere, so ya will!" Muttered Irt before scrabbling down into a runnel, propped up with his crook.

[If you have any questions for Irt, post them, otherwise I'll keep us moving.]

Chaotic Obfuscator
Online Content
Chaotic Obfuscator
[OOC D is going to be quiet for a bit.]

M
M
<Weston>

Words continued to fail. He had never seen anything like that 'Titan's Elbow'. He could see it was aptly names and even without their guide there would be no mistaking their destination.

But, nice and easy as the trek had been so far, it looked a difficult path from here. He didn't waste any breath on talking, he figured he would need it for the climbing and scrabbling ahead. Not to mention that he would be wanting to pay a lot more attention to where he was putting his feet from here as well.

MikeD
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Tindarien

Well at least they can see where they are heading now. He takes a moment to study their destination looking for anything out of the ordinary, anything that might suggest occupation.. things like smoke, movement, glints of light.

Then he moves again to catch up to his place in the marching order, also studying the trail for any sign of anything other than wildlife to each side of them.

Jex

He didn't push the sergeant any further because silence is it's own answer. While part of the healing came with the talking, the old man would not take this medicine until he was ready. Instead the bard started to sing. His voice was soft and melodic and although it was a sad tune, the way he sang it was uplifting.

We walk along a long and winding road
rarely traveled by merchants with a load.

Our eyes scanning the way ahead,
knowing full well to where this route led.

And as we followed the snaking river
We thought about what this trek would deliver.

A mission to return all of the treasure
To a beast we know about but cannot measure.

We are going where only brave or foolish go
Our next stop will be to camp at Titan's Elbow.

nem Offline OP
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
OP Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
GM

You followed Irt, scrabbling down a runnel, jostling with rocks and tree roots and loose footing. It was a short, steep slope, only a few yards down but calamity for most riding horses. You had to be leaving the trail taken by the knight.

Once out of the runnel, you walked through sparse trees where the undergrowth was thick with thorny, uninviting bushes, browned in the summer heat. The dry vegetation snapped as you pushed along a narrow game trail, Wanshanks sniffing and panting at the head of your line. The sound of cicadas filled the air, and you could feel the heat of the day growing with every pace. Jex sang, lending rhythm to your footsteps and accompaniment to your thoughts.

The trees soon petered out and you found yourselves crossing a garrigue, scrubland perhaps half a mile across and blanketed with wild flowers of many shapes and colours. You were assailed by smells. Thyme, rosemary, sage, and lavender were ones most of you could name. Some aromas could only be discerned when you were standing over the plant, such as wild marjoram and summer savoury, and there were some plants that even Nestaron didn't know. A large, violet and pink thistle-like flower, bristling with thorns seemed a favourite with the bees, though the scrub was teeming with fliers, from yellow butterflies the size of both hands, to glinting, jewel-like dragonflies, to the less ostentatious flower flies and hovering moths.

Suddenly wildfowl took flight in alarm, everywhere you looked, all across the garrigue, bird cries, beating wings and wafting feathers. Wanshanks barked fiercely.

"By me jabbers' jabbers!?" Mumbled Irt, bewildered, glancing around.

A gust of wind swept over you, then calm, then you saw the flowers and bushes swaying in a spiral around you. A deep, undulating howl and a storm was unleashed. The flowers and bushes weren't swaying now, they were flattened. Dirt, scree and twigs were blown into your face, and where the wind caught loose clothing, you could feel it lift the weight off of your feet.

Ducking down, a hemp rope was passed between you and one by one you coiled it around your forearms. "Follow Wanshanks!" Yelled the shepherd, losing his straw hat in the gale. Half-blinded, you caught glimpses of the oatmeal-coloured sheepdog ahead and could barely hear its barking over the wind. It was enough to lead you onwards.

A howling, screeching voice was carried on the wind.

"These are the bowers of the Fey realm where none but the natural may roam!" It said, words ringing in your ears.

"BEGONE! BEGONE!"

You did your best, scrambling on hands and feet in places, trying to cross the scrubland whilst the wind pummelled you. Heilbutt acted as an anchor, big and brawny, and weighed down as he was by his and Nestaron's packs.

Once, Jex tripped over the stool of a bush and his hand fell on something hard, a glint of metal in the dirt, perhaps unearthed by the wind. Was that a symbol he saw? He scooped it up and kept on after his companions.

You weren't sure how long you'd been running, chasing after Wanshanks and the shepherd through the forest. The dog didn't want to slow down, your guide didn't want to lose his dog, and you didn't want to lose him, preferably.

Finally you burst from the trees and staggered into the bright sunlight of a sandy beach. In front of you, the Scintilla River flowed swiftly by and on the opposite bank, shelves of rock rose into more evergreen woodland and the towering cliffs of a gorge.

Everyone was gathered on the beach, catching their breath. Wanshanks woofed and shook his fur, trying to dislodge half the scrubland that was stuck in it. Irt was mopping his brow with a bandana and cursing at his dog, whilst Sergeant Almador was bent over and wheezing.

You'd reached the river's edge, and it seemed like a good time for a quick rest.

Jex looked at what was in his hand. It was a large, ornate bronze key, covered in verdigris and with a symbol wrought into the bow. A fuming or flaming chalice. He had the tickle of familiarity; he'd seen it before, but couldn't recall where.

Chaotic Obfuscator
Online Content
Chaotic Obfuscator
D

The dark elf huffed and puffed like the others. Though possibly not as much as some. Even resting next to the waters his eyes kept roving as if he didn't believe the trial was done.

(Buffalo)
Online Busy
(Buffalo)
Zoltan

He lowers his head, clutching his cloak around him, leaning into the howling wind. He grabs the guide rope gratefully when it is offered and follows the dog and shepherd to safety, out of the storm.

Last edited by Zeim; Tue 11/08/15 19:55 UTC.
M
M
<Weston>

He had been walking in silence. The jester's songs made that easy, filling the silence.

The birds weren't the only ones startled. From what he knew ... which admittedly wasn't much, their presence here seemed strange. But he didn't have much time to consider all that. There was wind and it made it impossible to see, then that concern was lost when it seemed like the wind was going to blow him away. He took the rope, but he wasn't sure that would help all that much in the gale howling around them. Then =that= concern was forgotten when to voice spoke. He had heard stories of the fey. They had a reputation ... very uncooperative with others. All he could do was follow the rope and the person in front of him.

In a way the silence ... once they burst through the tree line ... seemed as deafening as the wind. He slumped down, trying to catch his breath.

MikeD
Seyja

She struggled along with the others, grasping the rope and trying, on occasion, to catch a glimpse of their surroundings through the fiercely swirling dust.

This was not a normal wind, she thought, and then she heard the warning voice. A place sacred to the fey? She redoubled her efforts so as to escape as soon as possible from the windstorm.

Afterwards, she sat beside the river, her shoes off, her feet trailing in the cold water as she rubbed her eyes and scratched at her scalp, trying to move the sand and dust there.

"I do not mind fighting," she muttered, "but how do you fight the wind?"

M
M
<Weston>

"You don't. You address the cause of the wind, which was the fey that addressed us. There are stories of them, but I have never had any direct contact with them", he said. After a brief pause, he added, "before this, that is."

MikeD
Seyja

She scowled at him for a moment, but then just shrugged.

"Me, either."

Jex

First he caught his breath but soon his eyes became fixated on the key.

There is luck and then there was this. For him to fall on that key in the middle of nowhere after a sudden and focused windstorm was anything but luck.

"Maybe we'll be needing this before the day is out," he says as he holds the key with his arm stretched out in front of his face. His eyes were focused on it. "I just found it."

Chaotic Obfuscator
Online Content
Chaotic Obfuscator
D

"It would seem you have a patron." He smiled. It was a grim thing. "Anything marked on it, or anything to tell us more?"

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Tindarien

It is a relief to reach the river beach and be out of that unnatural wind. He does a headcount. Seems everyone made it through.

He notices Seyja cooling her feet and walks over to her. His voice low he comments.

"Feet should be OK but remember these waters are befouled."

He nods, adds a smile and finds a clear patch to sit down to take a break.

Jex

"Yes. Let's all take a look. It is quite ornate and has markings that ... I seem to remember seeing something like this before but I can't quite make the connection."

He's pointing to the etching of the flaming chalice as he said the last.

nem Offline OP
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
OP Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
[Ghosted for Owain]

Nestaron

He was thankful for Tindarien's reminder. He'd been about to quench his thirst from the river.

Instead he took one of the gourds from Heilbutt, giving his half-orc follower a grateful squeeze of the shoulder.

Nestaron looked at Jex's bronze key while he drank, but didn't recognise it and shook his head.

He was still pondering what occurred in the garrigue.

"That windstorm was summoned by a Fey guardian, I'm certain. A sylph would have such mastery of the air element.

"No, what confounds me is how we offended it so badly. I've never seen such unprovoked hostility from the Fey."

Nestaron wearily sat on on a nearby boulder and looked at the shepherd.

"I take it you've come this way before, Irt, without this kind of trouble?"

nem Offline OP
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
OP Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Heilbutt

As he stood there on the beach, he felt the sun prickling his pale, northerner's skin. He found his wide-brimmed straw hat with its chin strap and put it on.

After being storm-tossed in the middle of the woods, he was feeling much more awake than he had been.

He unpacked some of the rations the Baronessa had provided and handed them out.

The half-orc was a roamer of the wilds, servant of the High Druid. The Fey were treacherous, unpredictable, but they were not confrontational.

"The voice said we were unnatural." Heilbutt said, though he didn't know what was meant by it; none of them were demons or undead.

nem Offline OP
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
OP Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Sergeant Almador

"Good doggy!" He said earnestly, patting Wanshanks on the head once his heart had stopped hammering in his chest.

Seeing that Nestaron had found a good sized boulder, he staggered over and sat alongside the cleric.

His wife and daughters had packed him food and drink, and he slaked his thirst with barley water from his skin.

"How can such a spirit talk of what is natural!?

"None of this is natural! Wearing this damnable armour is not natural, nor is lugging a haunted helm across the land to almost certain doom!" The Sergeant despaired.

nem Offline OP
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
OP Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
GM

The river was fast-flowing and deep by the looks of it. It curved away to the north where it would eventually meet the tidal creek that ran alongside the town of Rosencliff.

The sky was a vivid blue and the sun seemed to have climbed with great haste as it always did in the summer.

You could feel the heat of it, but also a cool breeze blowing off the surface of the water.

Whatever was poisoning the river, it wasn't noxious enough to rival Seyja's feet at least, and the water felt delightful on the soles of them.

Jex might have considered washing the bronze key. It was caked with dirt, especially the intricate symbol.

You had some time to spare. The Fey guardian's tantrum had sped you up over the last mile or so, and you'd reached the river earlier than expected.

Nonetheless, this was still where Irt and his dog intended to leave you, and make their return journey. You didn't need a guide upriver (not that one was available).

The shepherd drank and smacked his lips, shaking his head at the half-elf's question.

"Whaddya tink!? Course I been dis way afore, and den some! Ne'er had an ounce of trouble, all dese long years... Well, maybe a pinch, but nottin like dis."

M
M
<Weston>

Now =that= was something he knew a bit about. "Folks as think their 'territory' is being violated can be quite vexed", he told Nestaron. "And that was certainly the impression the speaker gave", he added. But Nestaron did raise a good point and he looked to Irt to see what replay was made there.

"Thanks", he said to Heilbutt as he accepted a bit of the food he offered.

Irt's comments made him think about what was in their packs. "Could be it was the cursed treasure we carry that set the sprites off", he said to no one in particular.

MikeD
Seyja

She frowned up at the high elf for a moment, but then grinned briefly and shrugged.

"You are right. I probably need to pay more attention."

Seyja lifted her feet from the river and looked closely at each one before shrugging again and lowering them back into the water.

"Good thing I have tough feet."

Chaotic Obfuscator
Online Content
Chaotic Obfuscator
D

He hadn't had time to think of it with the wind and running. But the treasure was certainly one possibility. Another was his own existence. He said nothing. There was too many questions to answer. For now avoiding that spot would be fine by him.

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Tindarien

He nods to Westron's suggestion about the treasure. It might also be D who had confessed that he had been dead, something that Tindarien still wished to talk to him about. But it could easily be something they know nothing about and right now unity in the group will serve them better so he says nothing.

Instead he turns his attention to the key that Jex found, looking at it more closely.

"I know that sign, the one that seems familiar to you. It is the symbol of the Eternal Alchemists. They were a group of wizards who sought the secret of true immortality. From what I remember they were around some 300 years before, very guarded about their work, so not many have any knowledge of it. I think they had such rivalry that they killed each other over a period of time."

He considers.

"If it is no coincidence that they key is here, maybe whatever is in the Elbow is related to them? I'd like to see the other runes more closely. Could we wash to dirt off the key?"

Jex

"Sure boss. Wash away. Keep your key clean, I always say. Eternal Alchemists, eh? If they live forever, then they're still alive, wouldn't you say? But then you said they killed each other, which sort of defeats the purpose."

He hands the key over to Tindarien, "I want it back. Somehow the key found it's way into my hands. I get the feeling it's supposed to be in my possession."

Seyja

Seyja looked around at the bard and cleric and gave a sardonic grunt.

"Didn't happen to find a lock to go with the key, didja?"

Jex
"Perhaps 'tis the key to your heart?" he said to the barbarian woman.

Seyja

She glared at him for a moment, but then couldn't help laughing.

"Mayhap it is, little man," she said, once her expression of mirth had died down.

"I doubt it, but mayhap it is."

M
M
<Weston>

The talk about wizards killing each other over living forever was ironic enough to bring a smile to his face. "Probably just as well that they are all dead, then."

The banter between Jex and Seyja made him feel better about the group. There was always a bit of that sort of thing among the regulars on the caravans.

MikeD
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Tindarien

He nods his tanks to Jex but instead of washing it in the river, he uses some water from his supplies, careful to minimise any wastage and uses leaves to clean it.

Then he looks at it more closely.

Jex

"Ah yes. Now I've put things together!" He suddenly was excited and he could not seem to contain that excitement. With a hop to his step and a smile etched on his face he starts to strut around the barbarian as Tindarien studies the key. At first one had to wonder when Sejya if he was getting too close to her, but he never did as he began skipping and twirling in a full out dance around and weaving through everyone in tje group. With his curly red hair bouncing about, hardly a soul realized the moment that his lute came into his hands. The gentle plucking and strumming was in rhythm with his feet. After a brief instrumental introduction he began to sing a song:

There were golden elixers the alchemists wanted to brew
Magical ingredients flavored their special stew
Living forever would be their goal from the start
Crafting of the special ale meant using an unsavory art

Living for eternity
Finding deaths remedy
Living for eternity
The future is for me

Inspired from tales read in tomes crumbling and old
They searched far and wide for the secret to unfold
They Bathed themselves in tubs filled with dragons blood,
They feasted on mermaid flesh and drinking magic mud.

Living for eternity
Finding deaths remedy
Living for eternity
The future is for me

They wished to be become immune to poison, blade and even old age.
Perhaps they would have succeeded had it not been for their own rage.
As smart as the alchemist were, they were betrayed by their spirts.
Delusions consumed their hearts and they were beseiged by envious fits.

Living for eternity
Finding deaths remedy
Living for eternity
The future is for me

So then they ceased their efforts to live for all of eternity
To revile former colleagues who were now their mortal enemy
They plotted murder against each other to as the mania spread
They would not live forever fore in the end they were all dead.

Living for eternity
Finding deaths remedy
Living for eternity
The future is THIS KEY!

Chaotic Obfuscator
Online Content
Chaotic Obfuscator
D

His pointy pale ears perked up at the song.

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Tindarien

He chuckles and applauds as Jex finishes his song.

"Very good, very inventive."

Then he offers the key back to the bard.

"Not much else I can tell you."

(Buffalo)
Online Busy
(Buffalo)
Zoltan

He listens to the song the Bard singe ruefully. As it ends he says, "Living forever is not all it's cracked up to be. Imagine being driven mad and never being able to find surcease?"

M
M
<Weston>

A bit too flamboyant ... but maybe that was just because he was =not= sitting in an inn or around the fire with a mug. But he was curious.

"Jex, was that an old tune or did you just compose it?"

If he had just come up with that on the spur, it showed he was a truly gifted bard. If it was something old, perhaps there was useful information in the words.

MikeD
Jex

"A true bard never tells. What matters is if you listened to it!"

[ooc: I wrote this based on lore that Jex supposedly knows, which was passed down from Nem. He didn't lyricize it (is that a word?)]

M
M
[[ lyricize =seems= like it should be a perfectly valid word <g> ]]

<Weston>

"Well I =did= listen, and that is a reason for the question. If you just conceived the song, then it shows what an incredible talent you have. If it came from the past, then there might be some helpful information there ... especially if there are more verses."

MikeD
Jex
"Words come together for me. I can't explain it, just like you can't explain how you walk or talk. It's a talent, I guess. But the words were there and are the lore is legitimate. Whether they are true or somewhat true or not true at all, I suppose we'll find out."

M
M
<Weston>

He nodded. "But it is more than we had before", he said. "For example, all that talk of dragon's blood and 'magic mud' ... could their 'experiments' be the source of the pollution ... could it have been walled up in there for all these years, released when Red 'barged in'?"

He really was out of his depth here. There were ideas from tales and songs from the caravans, around camps and while traveling. But how much of that was 'real'? Probably none ... exaggerated over the decades or even centuries.

MikeD
Jex

"From what I recall of the lore, they tried many things. A lot of their experiments centered around gold. Gold dust, golden apples, golden ambrosia - that sort of stuff. If I were to focus on something in particular, that would be it. From what I understand of alchemy it's a lot of trial and error. But I'm not an alchemist."

Chaotic Obfuscator
Online Content
Chaotic Obfuscator
D

Eloquent as ever the pale elf just shrugged. He knew death and villainy, not alchemy.

nem Offline OP
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
OP Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
GM

The bard's singing, wistful but upbeat, distracted Sergeant Almador from his woes. For a time, he sat and was entertained by finger and thumb across strings.

As for the bronze key, although most of dirt could be washed off in the river, there were orange-hued encrustations that could not. It was ironic then, that a key attributed to secretive alchemists would need alchemical treatments before it might give up its secrets.

From what Jex and Tindarien could make out, there were more markings graven into the bow of the key, pictograms, possibly dwarf runes.

What was the key doing buried in scrubland on the Sword Point? You could only conjecture. Although you could guess at when the key was crafted, could you even hazard a guess at when it was brought to the peninsula?

Having lost his straw hat, Irt tied the bandana around his head instead. He pointed to the shimmering surface of the river.

"See how fast she flows, even when she's smood. If ya need to get back to town once yis done wid yis doings, a sturdy raft or dugout's da way to go.

"What's upriver from here, yis guess as good as mine. But I'm heading on back, ya best believe." He said, dusting down his smock and whistling for Wanshanks.

The dog had nobly resisted dashing into the river, suggesting the shepherd had been strict in teaching it not to. The water didn't seem at all harmful to Seyja's feet, but that didn't mean you should go diving in it either.

Seyja

She grinned at the lively little man (little in her eyes) and chuckled a bit as he sang his song.

"You do sing fancy."

nem Offline OP
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
OP Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
[Ghosted for Owain]

Nestaron

He listened appreciatively to the Jex, and tapped his staff on the rock as applause.

The half-elf stroked his beard and leaned over to the Sergeant.

"And there you have a tale of what a really pointless quest is, Sergeant. Ours is not pointless. There is a town to save, your wife, your family amongst them.

"So do not despair, as unnatural as you or anyone else thinks this journey gets, we do a good deed here."

With a huff he stands and stretches his back, nodding to the shepherd.

"Thank you, Irt, for your guidance thus far. And you too, Wanshanks! Needless to say, you might be wise to skirt that clearing on your way back."

nem Offline OP
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
OP Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Heilbutt

He scowled and packed away the rations once they were done.

After Seyja and Jex's shared joke last night, and now Jex's deft play of the lute, Heilbutt felt he needed to do something impressive... to impress Seyja? He wasn't sure why and it left him flushed yet again, and thus grumpy.

"We waste time on frolics and baubles." The half-orc grunted, trudging off upriver.

M
M
<Weston>

He was completely out of his element with the key and ancient history.

Irt's advice, though, he understood. "Thanks Irt. We will be sure to keep the raft idea in mind. It is a good one. And be safe on your trip back." Although, he suspected that Irt knew the area well enough to not need any help getting safely back.

He glanced at the half-orc as he made his opinion known and headed on up river. Well, he =did= have a point. "Shall we join our headstrong friend", he asked the others and took off in the same direction ... up-river.

MikeD
Chaotic Obfuscator
Online Content
Chaotic Obfuscator
D

"It would seem the plan." He agreed, stood, and moved after the half orc.

nem Offline OP
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
OP Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
[Ghosted for Owain]

Nestaron

He sighed at Heilbutt's back and shook his head. He could see what was happening and swapped a glance with Tindarien. Young blood!

Nestaron offered a hand to the out of shape Sergeant Almador.

"Come Sergeant."

The Sergeant was a heavy set man, wearing guard armour. But Nestaron wore a brigandine too, over his robes. Plain leather finish, without such shiny studs or the brightly coloured velvet perhaps, it was still a heavy load.

It was forgivable to call it 'damnable' on a hike, as Almador had. If you had never been in battle. This told the half-elf cleric that, as old and experienced their Sergeant was as a town guard, he was no soldier. After his first battle, he would quickly change his tune about his armour.

Nestaron looked around for Zoltan. He wanted a quick word.

nem Offline OP
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
OP Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Sergeant Almador

He accepted the half-elf's hand and hauled himself to his feet with a grunt.

Adjusting the straps on his pack and straightening his kettle hat, he then nodded to the rest of the party.

The holy man was right. How could he sit there griping about a morning's exhertion when his people's livelihoods, their very lives, were at stake. He was taking this personally, like it was a grudge between him and his grandfather, and maybe it was, but the repercussions would be felt by more than one man.

And so he reminded himself that he was Sergeant of the Guard and that meant on this quest, he represented the town of Rosencliff.

He said farewell to Irt and told him they'd return soon after New Moon. Regardless of his newfound determination, he still hoped one of these adventurers knew how to fashion a boat! It sounded a lot more relaxing than hiking.

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Tindarien

He thanks Irt and waves the ir guide goodbye. His dog had been well behaved but both he and Farvi are relieved that it won't be around any more.

As they start to gather their things to set off after Heilbutt, he shares a look with Nestaron and shrugs in his response. Then he moves to speak to Jex.

"The washing didn't work on the key but I have something in my pack that might do the trick. Maybe when we camp I can borrow the key again?"

(Buffalo)
Online Busy
(Buffalo)
Zoltan

He nods a reply to Jex. "Yes, well that could explain the pollution of the waters. Gold processing with all sorts of caustic chemicals flushed downstream.

Still, that was ages ago. Why would it be happening now. Unless someone has started the Alchemical work back up?"

He too thanks Irt for his help and makes ready to go with the others.

M
M
<Weston>

"Another possibility is that all that old stuff had been ... let loose? ... when Red went exploring", he said thoughtfully as he walked. Then continued. "Someone restarting the mine is an interesting possibility as well. But I wonder how that would set with the 'spirits' involved though."

MikeD
Chaotic Obfuscator
Online Content
Chaotic Obfuscator
D

He gave a wave and it seemed like he was being reluctant. But none the less he did so. Then he listened with interest to the thoughts of his companions.

Jex

He offered his hand to Irt and said his farewells to their guide, "Thank you for taking us this far and for the advice on using a raft to return. It makes sense."

"Yes, Tinny, you can have the key any time you want. Just remind me when we're camping."

Then, to everyone he says, "Sometimes looking at a single piece of the puzzle is confusing and leads folks down the wrong path with assumptions. All I know is that we have a key and that it has the symbol of a group of people that wanted to become immortal. So I would rather not dwell too much on this one clue.

Seyja

The barbarian woman bade curt, but polite, farewells to those turning back and then made her way to the front of the line, near Heilbutt.

"Time to stretch our legs."

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Tindarien

He raises an eyebrow at the nickname that Jex has just given him.. but says nothing.

nem Offline OP
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
OP Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
GM

A mystery is what you make of it, and there wasn't much more to be made of the key's until Tindarien could properly clean it.

Irt shook hands with Jex and anyone else who profferred. All said and done, he nodded farewall, turned and disappeared amongst the dappled shade of the pines, the large sheepdog bounding after him eagerly.

Without a guide, you were suddenly on your own and finding your own path.

Irt hadn't spoken much of perils. Armed party that you were, most animals would avoid you -- wolves, bears, lions -- but the shepherd had warned about dire boars, opportune yet savage carnivores that could measure seven feet tall at the shoulder and weren't so afraid of people.

Even unpoisoned, the Scintilla River itself could be trecherous, with its shifting, fast-flowing currents and undercurrents, but you weren't planning on a swim.

The Fey weren't usually dangerous to a wary traveller. Even at the garrigue earlier, they had chased you off with bluster rather than try to harm you.

But the Sword Point was a remote and untamed wilderness. If there were dangers lurking along your path, they would likely be unknown.

Which made the choice of scout or vanguard important. Who would lead your party onwards?

nem Offline OP
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
OP Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
[Ghosted for Owain]

Nestaron

With the party underway again, he fell in step with their dangerous-looking paladin, Zoltan.

Nestaron had some questions for the man, especially in light of the Fey guardian's accusation that something or someone in their party was unnatural. But that wasn't at the forefront of the half-elf's mind, and even if it was, just because you had a question didn't mean you had any business asking it.

Instead he said, "Heilbutt seems to be struggling with a young woman like Seyja in the party. The Wake Islanders aren't known for romance; marriages are arranged, often made out of sheer necessity."

He looked upriver as he spoke.

"I'm sure he knows about the birds and the bees, but I'm not so sure he knows about the heart.

"You have some experience with women, no?"

nem Offline OP
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
OP Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Sergeant Almador

Using his partisan as a walking stick, he fell in line with the rest of the party. Almador was surprised at how easily the adventurers formed up and moved out in a loosely ordered file. He was disturbed at what it reminded him of.

A few years ago, Captain Achelus had taken Almador to the City of Swords, Axis, Seat of the Dragon Empire. The Captain's intention was for his sergeant to learn more about guard duties.

Almador remembered roll call of one ward's prisoners. The wretches, the caitiffs, strangers to each other, yet how they got in line, more easily than Almador's own men. Those prisoners weren't trained as a unit but they all 'knew the drill', as if it was second nature.

The Sergeant looked around at the party and felt suddenly nervous. What did he know about them? Captain Achelus shared some fellowship with two of them, but Almador, he was just dead weight to them. Would they slit his throat while he slept and dump his corpse? Why not?

Almador chewed his lip. He realised he was still fretting from their encounter with the Fey guardian. Still, he had to calm his nerves.

"So uh, you have seen my town, my family, you know why I'm here. What of you all? Do you not have families or - or friends, you'd rather be nestled with?"

M
M
<Weston>

He had to chuckle at the Sergeant's question. "Well you can sit at home with your friends waiting for the world to end or you can go out and try to keep the world going for a little while longer for the sake of those you care about. We are here for the former."

MikeD
(Buffalo)
Online Busy
(Buffalo)
Zoltan

He walks easily along the rough terrain, his eyes automatically searching for tracks. While he knows the Knight did not come this way, it doesn't mean others haven't. Still, he expects to see tracks of nothing more than goats and mountain cats.

At Nestaron's question, he chuckles. "Women, yes. Heart, well, depends on whom you ask."

He glances at the towering mountain ridge ahead, and then at Seyja who walks just ahead of him, and says to Nestaron wistfully. "Now there's a mountain I wouldn't mind climbing."

At the Sergeant's question he simply shakes his head negatively.

Last edited by Zeim; Mon 24/08/15 23:13 UTC.
Seyja

"I've lost two families," the barbarian woman muttered under her breath as she moved to the head of the group. She moved in a lithe, long-limbed stride, her taut buttocks moving in a pert figure-eight motion with each pair of steps.

Chaotic Obfuscator
Online Content
Chaotic Obfuscator
D

The taciturn dark elf remained silent at the question. If what little he had that passed for memory was correct. He no longer had living family. One painful reoccurring element in hus mind was the death of hus wife and child, a young boy, while he watched unable to do anything. And that was long before the more terrible memories he still carried. It was a said state of affairs that, that were true. Thus in hus own mind was why he remained quiet.

He merely kept pace alongside the river his eyes vigilant like the rest of him.

Jex

He replied to the sergeant.

"I am here to be a witness to tales and lore yet untold. Like a bee to a flower I am drawn to the extraordinary. I have a mother and father and when I see them once again, I shall tell them the tale of our adventures together."

It was not a discussion that he wanted converted into a conversation so he moved on to the next person.

The flamboyant bard was quite bubbly, even giddy at the onset of the trek. He didn't walk, he skipped. There seemed to be no need for absolute quiet and he made sure there was less of it than some might have wanted. He behaved like a big child; skipping from person to person to give every individual an ear workout. Nobody was ignored and the more taciturn a person was, the more attention he gave them.

There was tangible fear in the troupe and it didn't take some arcane sight to notice it. So it was upon him to take their minds off of their worries, if only for a while. A key technique to build morale was to create diversions.

As the march wore on he erased the silence. Sometimes it was with a low, rhythmic hum or the soft whistling of a tune. At other times he mimicked nature by imitating the birds that nested in the trees or the crickets that sang in the grass or by joining a chorus of frogs near the river.

It was always something and it was his way of keeping peoples minds off of the dangers that lay ahead of them.

nem Offline OP
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
OP Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
[Ghosted for Owain]

Nestaron

He nodded as Zoltan spoke and the paladin demonstrated his point aptly.

"Your verve does not interfere with your daily duties though, I deem." Nestaron said.

His concern was that Heilbutt with a dose of puppy love could hinder the party and their quest.

"Perhaps you could talk to Heilbutt at an opportune moment?"

The cleric was about to explain why he himself was not qualified to give such advice, when Sergeant Almador spoke.

Nestaron stroked his beard.

"I have a wife and two boys, Sergeant Almador. They live in a village on stilts, with her family.

"I'm here because of a higher calling and they would rather me answer it, than stay at home vexed."

M
M
<Weston>

He did his best to ignore the overly chatty bard. He explained that his mother and father were back in Axis ... well father was likely out with a caravan since that was what he did. But he did not go into details.

He nodded at Nestron's comment. "Exactly. If no one does anything, Sergeant, then what becomes of your town, your friends, your family?"

MikeD
nem Offline OP
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
OP Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Sergeant Almador

"Your pardon, squire. I meant no ingratitude." He replied to Weston earnestly.

The Sergeant tugged at where the collar of his brigandine was chafing.

"I am grateful for your aid, truly I am, but must try to understand why you lead this life if you do not enjoy it."

M
M
<Weston>

"Oh no I quite understand sergeant. If you have never really thought about such things, it can take a bit to wrap you mind around it all", he said with an understanding smile. "You have your city that you are protecting, but if there =is= some great 'evil' and it 'escapes' I doubt it would be satisfied with this small place and would like as not want to take over more ... seems like evil wants to do that. So in a way, I am protecting my home and family too. And what makes you think we don't ... well, OK ... maybe 'enjoy' is too strong a word. But I tried to follow in my father's foot steps, as it were, and it turns out that I don't have the right temperament for caravan work, so here I am."

MikeD
Jex

"This is an interesting conversation," the bard states, seriously. "Every generation has challenges which they must face. The result of each such challenge determines what the future will look like. I believe that these are historic events and we all have a role to play. I too am interested in the motivations of the actors. It I am to record these moments for future generations, I need for the readers of my stories and the audiences watching my plays to understand what drove us forward towards mortal danger."

nem Offline OP
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
OP Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator

Nestaron

He nodded at Jex's comments. Many clerics would regard a bard's calling as frivolity, ungodly even, but Nestaron believed that stories transcended religion.

Stories were owned by people, by mere mortals. He'd yet to find a god who'd taken time to tell a good yarn in a tavern, or a parable in a temple. No, stories were told by men, even when the stories were about the gods.

He smiled, listening to Weston, and agreed.

"Yes. You shouldn't assume that our lives are any more concise than your own, Sergeant.

"My wife may understand my calling but she still wants me back, safely at home with her and the children.

"I feel much the same as her. Yet here I am. Is this the life I want?

"Hah, what man ever asks that question and knows the answer?"

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Tindarien

He had been considering the question, trying to define his motives which were not entirely qualified in explanation. He thinks he has the main points now and turns to the Sargeant.

"My parents and only family died when I was young. I was brought up by others who believed in what my parents had been doing. I am now following in their footsteps to determine if that sort of life is also within me."

nem Offline OP
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
OP Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
GM

You talked in quiet voices that carried easily in the gorge, the river flowing smoothly, mercurial, barely lapping at the shore.

Seya overtook Heilbutt and led the party off of the sandy beach, up across a rock terrace and onwards.

The sun beat down and the heat in the gorge seemed to intesify with every step. Hoods were pulled up and eyes squinted against the glare. Tindarien likely wrapped the gauzy cheche around his head and face, as the old gnomish woman had taught him yesterday. If he did, at first he felt stifled but curiously, the hotter it got the more comfortable the cheche felt. One of nature's little tricks.

Perhaps it was Jex who started the cheerful marching whistle?

For large stretches, the trees came right down to the river's edge, denser than they were higher up. Other large animals travelled this way often though, and had worn trails through the hardy green foliage. There were some signs of deer and bison, their hard hooves leaving deeper, more distinct tracks than most of their predators. Not much in the way of fur or spore, and the spore they did find was decroded, a dark patch. Older than a week, agreed Seyja and Zoltan.

It was the height of summer, but it appeared that many creatures had stopped visiting the river. The forest was unnaturally quiet, no birdsong and only sporadic outbursts from chicadas.

You forded the river at a sharp bend where the riverbed carpeted by smooth pebbles. You could see them, the water was crystal clear and shallow, barely over knee deep. You waded across.

The sky was an intense blue, cloudless, only a few black specks visible; the highest flying realms of the Overworld. The river banks either side were sun-bleached pebble and larger boulders, sun's rays struck you from all angles, even from the surface of the water. Looking around, colours were more vivid, especially the colours of your companions' eyes, with their pupils shrunken to dots. (Not that you could see D's, the dark elf's hood was likely pulled down over his nose.)

Perhaps with the weight of his packs, Heilbutt tripped and went over with a splash. He dragged himself up, spitting, shrugging off any helping hands and looking mortally embarrassed. He was soaked but hadn't swallowed any of the river.

There was a steep, wooded ascent on the other side and the trees made useful hand and foot holds. Sergeant Almador had been reassured by most of the party earlier, but he felt most akin to Weston and stuck by him, so it was Weston who found himself lending a hand to the older man as the climbed up the slope. To his credit, Almador wasn't in bad shape, it was more his self-belief that had gone to pot.

You crested the hill, following a low rumbling noise that had grown over the past quarter-mile. The noise became a riot, the din of crashing water and momentarily you stepped out of the brush at the foot of a cliff.

The cliff face was of the same pale, rosy coloured stone as elsewhere but looked smoothed by water, with many natural alcoves and grottos carven out. There was a narrow cascade that flowed down over the sheer rock, from the top, over 40 above, to a shelf and down again to a pool at the bottom. The force of the falls, with its cacophony, foam and spray were all envigorating.

Verdure and wild lavender grew down the sides of the falls on one side, and it even at a distance you could pick out some easy routes upwards. Doubtful you would need ropes, but Zoltan could be certain that if Red Ed came this way, his horses didn't go any further.

Jex might wonder if the falls had a name. Probably not one that anyone remembered.

It was then that Seyja saw something at the edge of the pool, where the water eddied before continuing on downriver. Two large animals, lightly coloured, apparently unmoving with a few, smaller black tufts sprouting from the sand around them. She was some 30 feet away and couldn't quite make sense of it.

The others followed her gaze but they'd all need to get closer to fathom what it was they were looking at.

M
M
<Weston>

While the heat was a bit much, he had been through some hot times on caravan, so, while a bit uncomfortable, he was able to 'carry on'.

The silence, the absence of wild life seemed to confirm the problem with the water. He had to take the word of their 'naturalists' about the age of the spoor, but it seemed to fit. The water either killed all the animal or they had all migrated to some place with good water.

He was a bit nervous about having to walk through the polluted water. But it seemed OK ... if the water was =that= bad, there would be dead critters along the water.

He was concerned when Heilbutt fell into the water. But being reassured that he hadn't swallowed alleviated some of that concern. But it seemed like it was time to press the issue of their 'donkey' being overworked. "Heilbutt, we need your help and if you manage to break something, you won't be. So we need to lighten your load a bit ... especially with that coming up", he said pointing to the climb that was ahead.

He smiled as he helped the sergeant up. "Been a while since you were out and about", he said. "Not to worry. You are doing fine. Just take your time. It is when you try to hurry, to push too hard, that you will miss a hold or your footing", he said reassuringly.

The sound of the waterfall had been growing as they climbed, but it was something when they finally crested the hill and saw it. "Isn't that something", he asked the sergeant. "I have seen a couple, but never been this close to a waterfall before."

He looked in the direction of Seyja's pointing finger. "Should be investigate", he asked. He wasn't sure what they would learn, but maybe it would be important.

MikeD
nem Offline OP
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
OP Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator

Nestaron

Much like Weston, he was nervous about crossing the water, but it was shallow and there hadn't been a large die-back of the forest. The water was remarkably clear, however.... No, whatever this poison was, it was subtle.

Once they've crossed, Nestaron thought aloud, "The poison might be accumulating in some parts of the river. Much of what we've seen so far is fast flowing, but it will effect each creature, each plant differently, as is the way of such things."

But he was also concerned about Heilbutt. The half-orc's former master had said he was a 'mule', but even mules had limits to their strength and the half-orc had hardly slept.

Some of this was a show to impress Seyja, no doubt, but Nestaron had found that Heilbutt really didn't know when to back down or take it easy. He was young and a little stupid with it, like most men at his age.

The cleric is greatly impressed by the natural wonder of the cascade. It wasn't the largest he'd ever since, but it was idyllic, a hidden gem in the wilderness. He broke into a smile and said to Jex:

"We're probably the only people to have laid eyes on this picture in centuries."

While the party was drawn to the shapes lying by the pool, he pointed to the shelf halfway up the cliff face.

"We should stash our reserve water there and lighten our load." He suggested, since they'd planned to find somewhere suitable.

nem Offline OP
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
OP Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Heilbutt

He hadn't been concentrating as he sloshed through the water and lost his footing. He clammed up, his face tight with anger and shame, but he nodded in respect to Weston, not forgetting his place. Heilbutt didn't dare make eye contact with the barbarian woman afterwards though.

The half-orc was grudgingly glad when his master suggested they stash the reserve water finally.

M
M
<Weston>

"Well since this is the way that Red came, maybe not so long ago", he said in response to Nestaron with a wink and a grin.

MikeD
nem Offline OP
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
OP Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Sergeant Almador

Feet, sore. Knees, sore. Small of back, sore. Shoulders, sore. General disposition, hot and sweaty.

Weston acted as his pacesetter though and kept him occupied.

"My thanks, Weston," he said with a tired smile, after they'd climbed the slope, "I will try to remember your advice when I'm halfway up that wall and dropping bricks in the seat of my pants."

The Sergeant eyed Tindarien's cheche. He'd always thought they were an outlandish fashion from Santa Cora, but having worn a steel kettle hat throughout the hike so far, he was starting to see the appeal. Lightweight and hid your whole head from the heat of the day....

It bewildered him, how his perception of the world was subtly changing as the day went by. The world as he knew it had started the day much smaller, for one thing.

He leaned on the haft of his partisan and assumed others would investigate the area around the pool.

nem Offline OP
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
OP Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator

Nestaron

He shrugged, looking around.

"I don't know, Weston, I think the knight must have taken the path across the mountains, instead of following the river.

"Could horses have even gotten this far? What say you, Zoltan?"

Chaotic Obfuscator
Online Content
Chaotic Obfuscator
D

The hike wasn't bad but the heat was stifling. The worst was the bright sun light. He looked down more than anything else. When they finally came to a stop at the falls, he admired the natural beauty. He couldn't remember having seen such as this in this incarnation. His memory of the others was spotty at best, so nothing competed with it.

(Buffalo)
Online Busy
(Buffalo)
Zoltan

He'd been following carefully in Seyja footsteps, keeping an eye out for tracks and threats. As the day heats up he pulls his hood closer to his face, being careful to not let it interfere with his peripheral vision.

When they reach the falls, and Nestaron makes the suggestion to cache supplies he nods agreement. "Good idea. We should also make this a rally point. It is good defensive terrain, especially up there where the supplies are. If we are separated or get chased from the cave, make for this spot to meet up."

At Nestaron's last direct question he shakes his head. "No. I have seen no horse tracks. In fact all the tracks we've found are old. Likely older than Red Ed's journey. I expect he took the other path."

He then notes Seyja's gaze, and takes in the animals. He takes a half-step to the side to clear his sword arm, slowly draws his long sword and waits to see what the creatures will do.

Seyja

Seyja enjoyed the hike through the forest and even the heat did not bother her overmuch, but the thing which did bother her was the lack of wildlife near the river. It was just... not right and this kept her from fully relaxing.

They crossed the river easily enough except for the stumble and fall of the half-orc, but after a quick glance back to make sure he was uninjured, she dismissed it from her mind.

Pausing at the pool, something caught her eye and she focused in on the apparition. Her eyes narrowed and she took another step toward the two odd looking animals. She took a step toward them and pointed.

"Zoltan," she said softly, but in a voice that carried, "have you seen animals of this nature before?"

(Buffalo)
Online Busy
(Buffalo)
Zoltan

"Not I [Neil let me know if he has]. Anyone else?" He asks the group, knowing at least one or two others have spent time in the wilderness.

M
M
<Weston>

"Hard to even get a good sense of what they look like from this angle", he said as he continued to look. "Could be something that fell from a height and so got mangled", he speculated.

[Edited this for you, MikeD, for clarity. The party are at the foot of the cliff, on the same level as the unmoving animals -GM]

MikeD
nem Offline OP
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
OP Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
GM

The way the two animals were arrayed and the black splotches around them were awkward to decipher from where they stood. The scene was only 30 feet away, on the same level as the party, but the stark sunshine washed out the detail.

They were certainly large animals, mammalian like as not, and four legged.

You needed to close another 15 feet or so to resolve what you were looking at, but what was your first reaction? Did any scour the clifftops, or the surrounding cover? Were weapons drawn?

Chaotic Obfuscator
Online Content
Chaotic Obfuscator
D

He looked about but pulled no weapons. The animals only got a cursory look. He was more interested in the possibility of an ambush and kept his eyes on the high ground.

Seyja

Seyja took one slow turn around, her eyes searching the area up and down as she turned, her senses attuned for sound or even smell, before she turned to the others.

"Be careful... watch," she said and pulled the battle axe from her back and slowly approached the animals.

M
M
[[ no worries Neil, but as you mentioned, we need to change out perspective to see what's what <g> ]]

<Weston>

He wasn't sure what the concern was. The critters certainly looked well and truly dead. But he followed Seyja. While he wasn't really worried, it didn't do to have folks running off on their own. His swords were still settled on his back, but it was just an instant for him to get them out if he was completely off base.

MikeD
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Tindarien

So far he has been quite pleased with his new headgear, certainly good in this heat. The walk here had not been too taxing though the next stage looks like more of a challenge.

He is curious about the animals but they are not moving. This could be a decoy. So he finds a defensive position that gives a good view of the water and the wooded slope in case of an attack.

nem Offline OP
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
OP Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
GM

People took what precautions they felt appropriate. It was a remote and secluded spot, with thick underbrush to hide in surrounding the pool, elevated positions on the shelf and clifftop, and the falls to mask any noise. Nonetheless, it wasn't a great place for an ambush, since you yourselves could disappear into the forest, or take cover at the foot of the cliff.

Not all ambushers were tactically-minded, however. A monstrous predator might only seek to take one large prey and retreat. A troll might bait the edge of the pool and lurk under the water in ambush. At least the poisoning of the river made such things less likely.

Walking along the thin, sandy strip between the pool and the trees, you noticed the water was again crystal clear in the calm shallows. No algae, no insects, tadpoles or fish. To a townsman like Sergeant Almador, it looked like the cleanest, healthiest water he'd ever seen, better than from the well back home. To anyone else who'd ever travelled the wilds, it looked unnatural, especially at that time of year. You couldn't even see any clouds of gnats.

Approaching the animals, you soon realised what they were. Lions. Dead lions. They had dun-cloured fur with faint, dark stripes along their hindquarters, and a thicker ruff around the neck. In life they would have been magnificent beasts, young adult males, probably brothers, weighing around 500 pounds each. They were desiccated from the heat, but were otherwise remarkably intact for carrion, somewhat explained by the black spotches around them. Monk vultures, also dead, also dried out.

From the parched remains, Seyja and Zoltan's best guess would be the animals died around five days ago.

Jex

He had tried to keep morale up for this traveling band but the queezy feeling that one gets when witnessing death was difficult to overcome. Typically he might sing a song about the circle of life, how the body of a dead animal was food for another, but it was clear that the circle was a circle of death. The vultures that consumed the dead lion flesh were now dead themselves. He needed to dig deep into his bag of cheer to help raise the mood.

"Well, I'm glad we are still on the right track. This is proof that we are indeed getting closer to the source of the problem we need to solve. Are we camping here for the night? This is such a beautiful place. Curing this place of the poison that sullies it is our obligation and seeing all this beauty only strengthens my resolve."

He looked for a place to rest, a shady tree would do fine.. Once he found it, he sat and relaxed, humming a serene tune.

M
M
<Weston>

If the too clear water was not enough of an indication, the fact that the corpses were still so intact and with no insect activity ... they =had= in fact died from the contaminated water.

"Unless we think it is unsafe, I would rather not sleep so near these unfortunates", he said indicating the carcasses. "Even if it isn't a threat for attracting critters ... since there don't seem to be any critters left."

MikeD
Seyja

The mountain woman squatted on her haunches and inspected the lions and vultures closely but without touching them.

"These are more like plains lions," she said, as much to herself as to the others, "not mountain lions. I have more experience with the mountain cats."

Seyja made a grimace like she had a bad taste in her mouth. Taking her waterskin from her back, she took a healthy swig, swished it around in her mouth, spat it out and then took a couple of swallows before resealing the bag.

"I don't want to camp here. This place, this water is not natural."

Chaotic Obfuscator
Online Content
Chaotic Obfuscator
D

He nodded in agreement. Though who could tell from the deep shadow he stood in? "I for one would like to continue on. Not that I have a schedule that I must keep, more like I would just have this task be finished."

nem Offline OP
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
OP Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator

Nestaron

He crouched next to Seyja and the carcasses.

"Large, powerful animals that drink a lot of water....

"The concentration of the poison might be getting stronger, yes, and it could also accumulate around the edges of pools like this."

Nestaron was a skilled and experienced healer. He checked the lions' mouths for any signs of the poison, sighing sadly.

"Very similar to plains lions. These are cave lions. Rare. A great shame."

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Tindarien

He moves forwards from behind a tree and rejoins the others, having glanced at the sky as he did so.

"The sun is high so we are only halfway through the day. A few minutes to refresh ourselves and then we should move on."

He takes some rations from his bag, eats sparingly and then takes a good drink of his water. They will need their reserves of strength for the next climb.

nem Offline OP
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
OP Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
GM

Using a twig, Nestaron examined the lions' mouths but saw no signs of poison. More interestingly, the cleric saw few signs of decay.

At roughly the same time, Seyja realised the carcasses were lacking that strong, fetid carrion odour.

Looking up at the sky, Tindarien was right, it was around midday and the sun drenched the area around the pool, dead lions and all. So the sun had dessicated the carcasses, but that didn't entirely explain why they were so well preserved.

Maybe the poison had preserved them? D knew many unnatural, concocted poisons that, inconveniently, also preserved the dead body.

Your high elf sorcerer was right about one other thing, however. You had a 40 foot rock climb ahead, and as easy as it looked, you had little time to dawdle and none for a quiet afternoon nap.

nem Offline OP
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
OP Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Sergeant Almador

He nodded in agreement with Weston, adding, "I doubt I would rest anyway, with that climb left on my plate. Do we need ropes, pitons?"

The Sergeant was fretting mildly, and there was a good chance he'd fret more greatly once he was aloft.

"We can't stay here with ravenous beasts as they prowling the shadows!" He said, "Pff, if Irt was still here I would smack him. Beware of big pigs, says he!? What of the bloody great lions?"

nem Offline OP
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
OP Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Heilbutt

He walked over to stare at the lions, fascinated by them. The creatures on Wake Island were all rather small, even the cats.

On his travels with Fuldroik he'd seen larger wildcats and pumas, but these lions were gigantic.

Obviously no-one else was as awstruck by the lions and had probably seen or learnt about such creatures before. For some reason this bothered him, and he didn't let on his callowness.

Although he wanted to, the half-orc didn't rely to Almador; it wasn't his place to. He thought everyone knew that most natural predators were scared of people and avoided them if they had a choice. Heilbutt was always amazed how many townsfolk didn't know even the simplest of things.

(Buffalo)
Online Busy
(Buffalo)
Zoltan

He nods at the suggestion of moving on, eager to get to their goal quickly. The Lions were interesting. He'd heard of such, but he'd not seen Mountain Lions before having spent most of his wanderings and tracking in forests, jungle, and desert. The fact they likely died from drinking the poisoned water seemed pretty clear, and the strength of the poison was equally clear by the dead vultures.

"Curious." He ventures to the others, conversationally, as they get ready to move on. "For the Vultures to have died by eating the poisoned flesh of the Lions, it would mean the Lions had to remain alive long enough for the poison to invade their flesh and organs. Digestion and transference of the poison to their flesh and organs should have taken hours. At least two. Yet you'd likewise think that two hours after drinking the Lions would not still be at the edge of the pool but would have wandered back to their lairs."

He speaks about poisons with the certainty of someone very knowledgeable in their use.

He glances around. "This would not be their lair either. It would certainly be part of their hunting ground but large predators do not lair next to watering holes as it chases away their prey."

M
M
<Weston>

He gave the sergeant a big smile, "Oh the fact that the lions are so well preserved suggests that even the insects, molds and the like are killed by what ever this poison is. So I think that there is little chance of an animal attack around here sergeant. "

Zoltan made an interesting point. "That seems reasonable since have not seen carcasses all along the river", he said with a slow nod as he integrated that idea in with the rest. "Could be that they just happened to be back here when they succumbed to the poison. Makes me a lot less eager to spend any time in this water", he said.

"Come sergeant, the climb should not be =too= arduous. Follow my lead and I will make sure you make it to the top", he said giving the man a reassuring wink.

MikeD
nem Offline OP
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
OP Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Sergeant Almador

"Well, no bad thing that they are dead." He said earnestly, "With luck, the poison has killed off all such devils along the river, and our journey will be the safer for it."

Then he tightened his belt and rolled up his sleeves, following Weston as best he could.

nem Offline OP
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
OP Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator

Nestaron

He sat back on his haunches, thinking about what Zoltan said.

"It takes merely one minute for blood to circulate around the body, so it's not impossible but we would be dealing with a poison of terribly potency.

"If so, the vultures would've died just as quickly, but... what poison works that quickly yet leaves no physical trace, I know not."

He looked up at the paladin, gauging his opinion.

"Nothing natural, I deem."

M
M
<Weston>

Nestaron raised an interesting question. "Could the 'effect' be magical in nature?"

MikeD
(Buffalo)
Online Busy
(Buffalo)
Zoltan

He shakes his head. "That may be true for injected poisons, which enter the bloodstream directly, but ingested poisons work differently, and always slower. They have to pass through the digestive system before they can be absorbed into the blood. That includes passing thru the stomach, intestines, liver, and other organs. Being absorbed into the muscle and fatty tissue takes even longer. That is where the Vultures would have picked it up, by eating those organs."

"I have heard of very rare ingested poisons that can take effect in as little as 10 or 20 minutes, but those are specifically created to be lethal poisons, and not after-effects of alchemical run-off. Two hours is more typical."

He pauses, kneeing by the corpses and looking for wounds on the well preserved flesh. The Vulture bites might obscure some, but it is possible he might see them.

Standing, he continues, "There are 4 types of poisons." He ticks them off on his fingers.

"Contact, Ingested, Inhaled, and Injected. We know that if these waters are the source of the poison that it is not contact, else our friend there", he points at Heilbutt, "would have died when he fell into the river. I see no weapon injuries on the Lions so it is not likely to be injected poison either. And if it was inhaled, we'd all be dead." He grins slightly. "So ingested it all that fits."

"Yet, from all appearances they died moments after drinking and somehow the poison from their stomachs permeated their flesh even after they were dead and their bodies no longer pumped blood or processed fluids."

He glances at Nestaron at his question, finishing with a shrug, "As I said before, curious."

Last edited by Zeim; Tue 01/09/15 21:57 UTC.
Seyja

Seyja looked from the lions to Nestaron and back to the dead felines.

"I have heard of cave lions, of course, and have even seen their spoor once or twice, but I have never seen one. They are very rare in my experience," she said, almost in awe.

She leaned forward slightly and sniffed at the carcasses, then sat back on her haunches and shook her head.

"No smell of decay."

The barbarian woman stood in one, lithe movement and wiped her hands against each other before stepping back from the pool and looking up at the climb which faced them.

"I can do it," she said after a long moment's consideration of the difficulties presented her.

"I can climb to the top, secure a rope and then let it down for the use of the rest."

M
M
<Weston>

Clearly they didn't want to hear what he had to say. But that wasn't unusual. He would keep his thoughts to himself for now. "I think we can all do it and the delay required to have you climb", he said to Seyja, "and then drop a rope seems a needless waste of valuable time to me." And of course they could choose to ignore that as well. But he was used to that.

MikeD
Chaotic Obfuscator
Online Content
Chaotic Obfuscator
D

"Magic can cause all kinds of death and misfortune. I know that there are virulent poisons that ingested or otherwise introduced can kill in minutes. Yet you seem to be missing one thing. It is entirely possible the Lions come from up there." He pointed to the top of the falls. "They might have returned to the water source and died thus being washed downstream. It is curious and something to consider. We will have to learn more."

The decision being made the little dark elf began to scramble up the rock face picking his way with knowledge of climbing clear. After all he really disliked doors.

M
M
<Weston>

"I think I mentioned that possibility", he said with a dismissive shrug.

He led the sergeant towards the cliff. "Put your hands and feet where I put mine and you will be fine", he said with a reassuring smile.

MikeD
nem Offline OP
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
OP Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
GM

You had time for further musings, since it was wiser to have two people 'on the wall' at a time and climb in pairs.

You weren't so pushed for time that you needed to all scale the cliff en masse like rampaging rock baboons.

Seyja and Weston were first. Almador would be an exception, following close behind Weston, mimicking his movements. The Sergeant might have thought rope and pitons appropriate, but for the rest of you they'd over-complicate an easy climb with plentiful hand and foot holds and ledges for resting.

After they were up, D and so on.

As for the lions, there weren't many ways Zoltan could make the scene fit with the poison being natural or even concocted from natural ingredients. Even the most toxic minerals needed time to wrought their mischief on the body.

Vultures were well-known for drinking and washing after feeding, they were actually quite clean birds. Perhaps this did them in, rather than eating the lion carcasses?

Or perhaps Nestaron was onto something, and the poison wasn't natural. There were substances that alchemists knew to have innate magical qualities (some schools classed them as 'arcane', or just 'weird' to the layman.)

Much like the orium ore carried by Tindarien, these had strong interactions with the magical world and as poisons, could even attack the 'silvered threads' binding life into physical form.

Or as Weston and D suggested, the picture could be so very incomplete, any conclusions would be guesswork. Although you weren't in a great position to experiment further, one thing did seem certain; the river water was noxious enough to kill an adult lion.

Were the rest of you ready to climb?

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Tindarien

He listens to the conversation regarding the lions. It strengthens his resolve to purify the water and let nature be as it should again.
Meanwhile, as he waits his turn, he studies what he can see of the route, looking for any problem areas, picking out places of ease.

(Buffalo)
Online Busy
(Buffalo)
Zoltan

He simply shrugs at D's reply. There are always new things to learn and he knows there are poisons with which he is not familiar that may act atypically. Simply a piece of a puzzle.

As the others make ready to climb, he offers to bring up the rear. At some point only one of them will be on the ground below and better if it was someone well armed.

M
M
<Weston>

He gave Almador a big smile as he gave him a final hand up. "See, that wasn't so bad."

He watched as the others made their way up.

MikeD
nem Offline OP
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
OP Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator

Nestaron

He scowled at the Sergeant's remarks about the lions. His words panged of a townsman's ignorance and were not something Nestaron abided.

But the cleric wasn't going to unsettle the fellow further and make Weston's job harder. More importantly, Sergeant Almador had showed his heart was in the right place so far, and it wasn't deplorable to be afraid of cave lions (only to the wish them dead).

So he stood and hefted his quarterstaff.

"I'm glad to have you with us, Zoltan." He said with certainty, "Between you and D, we might just have a chance of understanding and countering this poison."

That said, he began securing his clothing and belongings for the short climb.

Chaotic Obfuscator
Online Content
Chaotic Obfuscator
D

The dark elf looked about from his new vantage point. Height often offered a new perspective, and it was something to relish the success of one's own effort.

Seyja

The climb had not been a difficult one and, other than taking the precautions normal for any climb, Seyja, being a mountain woman had no particular problem making her way to the top.

Once there, she took a brief glance around and then stood close by the edge, rope at the ready, in case any of the less experienced climbers needed assistance.

(Buffalo)
Online Busy
(Buffalo)
Zoltan

He moves to the base of the cliff, finding a spot with good sight lines and turns back to the pool and the surrounding woods. Taking out his bow he watches and guards as the others climb.

Once they've all safely reached the top, and he gets a signal from up top that they can cover him, he stows his bow across his back, slides his sword across his other shoulder so it is not in his way, and takes a look at the cliff face.

**Not too different from that dilapidated warehouse in Horizon.** He muses as his eyes find the easy hand and foot holds. **It was tilting and boards were sticking up at all angles. At least this won't creak.**

He reaches up with both hands on a lower hand-hold and pulls himself straight up, releasing the hand hold and grabbing another one several feet further up before finding purchase for his feet. The small second of time when he was suspended in mid-air with no holds at all gives him a small adrenaline rush. Then, with an easy swing of his legs he finds a foot hold to one side and moves up to an easier section of the climb.

**Of course Lanny had to take his sweet time showing up that night. 4 hours late for the rendezvous! I thought I'd never get the feeling back in my fingers after that. Lucky my dagger was poisoned. Stiff fingers barely let me slice his cheek with the blade instead of the carotid strike I was going for. Had to sit on him and cover his mouth for a few second before I could slice his throat.**

He reaches the easier portion now and moves up hand-over-hand easily until he reaches the top.

[OOC - If you wanted us to roll, here is the roll for Zoltan:
Zoltan Climbing Cliff
Zeim rolled d20+8 and got 22]

M
M
<Weston>

He had 'scouted' the cliff as he led the sergeant to what looked like a good starting point.

It wasn't all that different from climbs he had made on the caravan runs that passed through mountainous areas ... scouting a good route, looking for problems like ambushes or rock falls along a chosen route. In comparrison of some, this seemed fairly easy.

In any event they had made it with out much problem. Out of habit, once everyone was up safely, he looked around from their new vantage.

MikeD
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Tindarien

He had studied the approach and feels confident he can climb the steeper stretch of the mountain. He had reminded himself that he had done a fair amount of climbing when gaining access to some of the more out of the way tombs and caverns he had visited, especially that one where the tomb was on top of a high platform. In its day there had been steps leading the way up to the top but over the years a number of the steps and ledges had crumbled away leaving gaps and awkward corners. He had taken his time but apart from one area where the ledge was still very crumbly, he had managed easily.

He starts the climb.

And finds it was more difficult that he had thought. The ground is quite rough, tufts of grass to trip him up and soil that looks solid but can easily slide under light elven feet.

Certainly he is hot and dusty when he reaches the top.

nem Offline OP
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
OP Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator

Nestaron

He breathed hard as he climbed, pausing to wipe the sweat from his brow. It would've been easier without the armour and Nestaron wondered how Weston had convinced the Sergeant not to quit in dismay.

The half-elf cleric was reminded of a much longer and hotter climb up to a ruined temple in the Owl Barrens. That had left him in a very poor condition, delirious and physically wrecked. As enlightening as that experience had been, he did not intend to repeat it anytime soon.

[Nestaron skill check for climbing, using Wanderer of the Wilderness +2, +1 level, +4 Wisdom. Rolled 14+7=21]

nem Offline OP
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
OP Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
GM

The climb was hot and your clothes drenched in sweat after the first 10 feet. It was also noisy, with the din of the cascades barely a stone's throw away. Zoltan stood vigil at the foot while everyone else climbed in pairs.

Reaching the shelf halfway up the cliff, you stashed your reserve water, lightening your load of gourds and skins. There was a natural grotto delved out of the rock face by the water, and shade and spray made it feel chilly. Knowing that this fine mist could be deadly poisonous didn't make it anymore welcome, so you didn't linger, off-loading and climbing onwards to the top.

The cascades were very distinctive. They had no name that anyone living remembered, did you think of one?

Zoltan was the last up and he had to wait a goodly while for Jex and Tindarien. The bard picked out a crazed route that then led the elven sorcerer astray. It was amusing, and the others watched from above, Heilbutt chortling. It looked suspiciously like another of Jex's entertainments, and even the Sergeant commented, "Where in the blue blazes is he going!?"

But both men finally made it and the paladin followed them up, deciding to take Seyja's route, all things considered.

The Sergeant's legs had been shaky during the climb and it took all of Weston's advice and encouragement to bring the man-at-arms to the top. At least Jex had given them plenty of time to recoup.

Looking backwards, you could see the river valley spread out beneath you, the rugged, wooded terrain on either side as the Scintilla meandered its way to the coast and Azure Bay. Shading your eyes with your hand, you could just about see the Baronessa's tower.

With the midday sun high overhead, you turned to the fore and walked.

The noise of the cascades didn't fade, instead being drowned out by an even louder roar. You soon saw that you were actually following an anabranch in the river. The cascades were formed by a gully carrying the narrower right channel, whilst the wider left channel descended across a raging, whitewater cataract.

It appeared that Seyja had chosen the better path, and you stayed on the rightmost bank after you rejoined the river's main stem once more. Did you spare a thought for your return journey? How viable would a raft or dugouts be? You'd have to brave the cataracts rather than the two waterfalls, yes, but it was a definite possibility.

The hours passed as you hiked, the forest withdrew from the edges of the river and you found yourselves walking across eroded bare rock. This became more cloven and undermined the further you went until it was like walking across the walls of a labyrinth, the river coursing beneath your feet, over 10 feet below.

nem Offline OP
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
OP Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Sergeant Almador

Of course he thanked Weston and stuck by him afterwards, regarding the younger man as almost a local lad, or at least the closest thing to it in the party.

Without Weston's help, the older man wouldn't have made the climb and he knew it. So more importantly, Weston had saved Almador's self-respect.

Feeling better, more confident in himself, the Sergeant enjoyed the afternoon hike and wondered which route his grandfather had taken. Was he literally following in his footsteps?

Sergeant Almador tipped back his kettle hat.

"Do you think Gorulon came this way, back in the day?"

Seyja

Pleased to be out of the city and to traverse the wilder, forest areas, Seyja enjoyed the extended hike. She adjusted her pace to accommodate the slowest of the group, encouraged all of them to keep up.

Meanwhile, she kept her senses tuned to any hint of a threat.

M
M
<Weston>

While he relaxed at the top, he took some time to admire the view. It was just about the only part of the caravan work that he had enjoyed, the amazing scenery along some of the routes.

At the sergeant's exclamation, he could only shrug. "Perhaps another of his jests. That or he got lost", he finished with a grin.

He enjoyed the walking even though, as they walked the way got more challenging. He looked at Almador. "Well, if he had as good a guide as we have, I would think so. I have not seen anything that would make me think there is an easier way up. Although I wonder about using the water on the way back. I don't have a lot of water experience, but if we went down the cascade there", he said pointing, "on a raft or some such, that might be somewhat easier. But I would want to get the opinion of someone with some experience with that sort of thing before I would want to try that."

MikeD
nem Offline OP
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
OP Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Heilbutt

The tall half-orc followed along in the single file. After caching about half of their water, he felt light on his toes and was getting a second wind. There was no shade, but the glowering sun didn't bother Heilbutt with his wide-brimmed straw hat protecting head and neck.

He kept his jagged spear at the ready though, if only to help him balance on the uneven, and treacherous-looking ground they were venturing into.

As the warrior walked, he listened to the others but his thoughts were elsewhere, his eyes straying to Seyja's back. Visions of spearing some fish here and cooking them on an open fire. Spending the afternoon swimming...

If they vanquished the evil that was poisoning the Scintilla River these things might just be possible.

(Buffalo)
Online Busy
(Buffalo)
Zoltan

As they begin to travel once more, along the branch of the river, he takes his spot up front near Seyja. Once the familiar pattern of walking and watching is re-established he asks Seyja, "So, why is the Iron Skull so interested in you anyway?"

nem Offline OP
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
OP Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Sergeant Almador

He looked around the weirdly maze-like scenery. It was open here, no shade, and he felt his cheeks prickling as the sun glanced off of the bare rock at his feet.

"It's daunting to think I might be following in my grandfather's footsteps after all these years.

"I can only hope that I step right where he stepped wrong. But... it does me think about my legacy. Gorulon had ambition, after all, whereas what have I done with my life?

"You said your parents are traders, Weston, you must disdain their life's choices, no?"

Seyja

Her battleaxe across her shoulders, blade pointing to her left, one hand on the haft on each side of her muscular shoulders, she turned a scowl toward Zoltan. After a moment though she gave a minimal shrug and her expression relaxed.

"He is a minion of the Orc Lord. It is the Orc Lord who is, as you say, so interested in me."

M
M
<Weston>

"Actually, mom stays at home and dad is a respected caravan leader. That is how I got into that short lived endeavor. Dad was able to give us a decent life, but at the cost of not being around as much as we might have wished. And how could I disdain their choices? They have been happy and did a decent job getting me started on my life's journey."

MikeD
Chaotic Obfuscator
Online Content
Chaotic Obfuscator
D

He hiked and moved with the group. Steps were what was necessary, so that is what he did. His eyes ever roving and his senses alert. The heat and sunlight he hid from under his dark hood. Possibly not the best color choice in this environment, yet he was a creature of habit. He listened carefully to the female barbarian's words. He wondered about the minion if they were to face it, so he paid attention.

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Tindarien

Now that the worst of the climb is over and his load lightened, he feels more like talking and still has a line of questioning for D, so he moves over to walk beside him.

"Before we set out you indicated that you had died previously. I would like to learn more about that if you feel this is not too intrusive?"

(Buffalo)
Online Busy
(Buffalo)
Zoltan

"Why?" He prompts Seyja.

Chaotic Obfuscator
Online Content
Chaotic Obfuscator
D

Of all the people to be interested in him, it had to be... He didn't sigh, nor did he do anything that might tip his hand, yet when the dark elf looked to Tindarien, there was something in his eyes. Maybe it was the experience he remembered, maybe it was something else.

In either case D offers "honestly much of my memory is a patchwork. The powers that took me and tormented me in my successive incarnations wanted to hang on to their information. So they have diligently kept me from remembering all of it. I can answer some questions, but it might just sound like the ravings of a madman." He shrugged ever so slightly as they walked "it might be ravings for all I know.

"What is it you desire to learn?" He hoped it wasn't the one piece that D was sure he could remember.

Seyja

Seyja grimaced and turned back to Zoltan, opened her mouth, but then closed it without saying anything. She shrugged her muscular shoulders, pausing a moment before speaking.

"I really do not know. I have been told the Orc Lord wants me, maybe desires me, although I hope desire is not the right word for... for whatever he wants me for."

nem Offline OP
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
OP Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Sergeant Almador

He gave what could only be described as a fatherly grunt.

"That is good to hear, Weston" He said.

Almador sucked in a breath and mopped his brow with his sleeve.

"Of my offspring, two sons are fishermen, one joined the Legion, my daughter is enjoined with the Baronessa's household, but my eldest son, he - he is ambitious.

"Him and I, we don't see eye-to-eye. He is a sailor, seeks his first captaincy but pfff, he means to own a fleet of ships some day."

He rapped the butt of his polearm on the ground, shaking his head in frustration. Breathing out, he continued.

"I chose the same path as my father, who chose the path of his father. I always wanted my children to make their own mind... but aye, I thought one of them would follow in my footsteps."

M
M
<Weston>

"Well anyone that is managing to make a decent go of it is doing well, I think. But having lofty goals ... that can be good or bad. If they give him direction and drive, that is good. But I have also seen that sort of ambition get out of control and take the soul right out of a man." He turned to Almador, "But with you to help keep him sorted out, I suspect that he will survive with his soul intact", he said with a smile.

MikeD
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Tindarien

He is not sure if D =is= comfortable with this line of questioning but he seems to have invited questions and so Tindarien is going to ask some.

"How do you know you were dead? Do you remember dying? And how did you come alive again? Necromancy? Or were you born into another body as a newborn?"

Certainly there is no condemnation is his voice, just curiosity.

(Buffalo)
Online Busy
(Buffalo)
Zoltan

"Hmmm." He ponders Seyja's reply. "Motivations tend to be very revealing. Knowing why he wants you is more important than knowing that he wants you. It could give you leverage."

"If you ever get the chance to interrogate some of his minions, I'd focus on that question."

Seyja

She frowned for several long moments as they walked and she shifted her greataxe's position from across her shoulders around to just across her right shoulder.

"That makes sense, I would think, Zoltan, but I don't see it as being all that practical."

She grinned crookedly, but humorlessly.

"The Iron Skull is not one to hold conversations with and the only other minions of his I have seen are orcs." Seyja rolled her eyes.

"Maybe Heilbutt could help us talk with them... if and when."

Chaotic Obfuscator
Online Content
Chaotic Obfuscator
D

"I remember being tortured to death after watching my child and wife being tortured to death. Then I was an undead killing machine known as The Shadow of Assassins. In that incarnation I was powerless to avoid destroying enemies of The Three. Lastly I find myself alive in this form. So a combination of different magics and lives."

(Buffalo)
Online Busy
(Buffalo)
Zoltan

"If you need help interrogating anyone, let me know. I specialize in extracting information from those who don't want to provide it. Sometimes even from those who don't know they have it. Even Orcs know something. It's just a matter of asking enough of them."

nem Offline OP
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
OP Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Heilbutt

The warrior broke his silence after listening to Zoltan and Seyja ahead.

"I am no orc! I am a son of the Wake!" He growled angrily.

"My mother and father were human. Fuldroik says that the half-orc's are nature's remedy to the orc and some day we will be called.

"When that days comes, I will answer the call, but it had better be a call to war for I will not parley with any foul, stinking orc!!"

His neck was red and he sounded like he meant it.

nem Offline OP
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
OP Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator

Nestaron

As the afternoon had worn on, his tiredness grew but so did his atunement to his surroundings and his enjoyment of them.

The smell of the forest close by, the freshness of the waters, all heightened by the heat. At times he found himself simply smiling and feeling a wonderful relaxation, as if he could fall asleep on the spot and lay there for a thousand years.

But the half-orc's tone brought Nestaron back to the present. Although a cleric, he didn't consider himself a holy man or worthy of disciples, but others disagreed. Heilbutt had been sent to aid Nestaron, followed him like a master, and so the half-elf felt a duty of care to the half-orc, as any half-decent man would.

"Peace, Heilbutt. Do not mistake single words for entire meanings.

"Our companion said that in her most dire need, she might turn to you for aid. That is a privilege, wouldn't you say?"

Seyja

"I will keep that in mind," Seyja said, nodding her agreement to Zoltan but, before she could say anything further, Heilbutt erupted in fury.

"I meant no insult, Heilbutt," she said. "I just thought that, as a friend, you would help me if you could."

nem Offline OP
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
OP Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Sergeant Almador

In reply to Weston, he chuckled and scratched his stubbled cheeks.

"I wish my eldest was as reasonable as you!" He said, "But no, I am afraid he does not see much use in his father.

"If I had stayed home, I know he would have considered me a fool. If I perish on this quest, he will consider me an even greater fool.

"So now I think of it, the only way I come out of this without seeming foolish in his eyes, is to return triumphant."

The thought seems to buouy him somewhat.

He overheard the half-orc's outburst, and instinctively turned to Jex, who so far had reliably been the party's lightener of moods.

"Um, so you are a jester!? My daughter said the household were told to expect you sometime over the summer. You must be a player of the sleightest sleight, to enthral the Baronessa with but a street show!"

nem Offline OP
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
OP Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Heilbutt

He swallowed and looked suddenly shamefaced, lowering his gaze.

Heilbutt nodded to Nestaron and Seyja without meeting their eyes. Inwardly he realised with alarm that he wasn't thinking straight, and blamed the lack of sleep and the heat.

M
M
<Weston>

"Well, then I guess we need to be successful so that you can return the triumphant hero", he replied and it sounded more like a declaration than a jest ... although there =was= a bit of a twinkle in his eye. But that could just have been a trick of the light here.

The exchange between the three up front got him wondering what has started the 'confrontation' ... well, maybe that was too harsh a word. But something had gotten the half orc's dander up with Seyja and Nestaron. And that was surprising since he seemed to have something of a crush on her. Well it apparently didn't have anything to do with their quest, so probably best he leave it alone ... at least for now.

MikeD
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Tindarien

Even he is surprised by D's story and his eyes widen as he tells it.

"That is truly awful."

He says after a few minutes.

"I cannot imagine a worse fate that to watch your loved ones suffer into death and then following their path. And then becoming an undead?"

He shudders as he asks the last question, just confirming his understanding.

Jex

"Why yes, among other things. Jester is a good way of describing what I do. I would like to think I can do more than just make people laugh."

He saddles up next to Heilbutt and puts his arm around the half-orc who, he can tell, is still seething from the unintentional slight and embarrassed by his own reaction.

"Isn't it awful when people try to pin a name on you when they really don't even know you? They do that just by looking at you. I think it's best to judge a person by what they do rather than what other people say they do. So, let me ask you a question, who are you Heilbutt? What is it that you want to accomplish with your life? What principles do you live your life by? "

[ooc: Sorry about the delay in posting. No excuse for me.]

Chaotic Obfuscator
Online Content
Chaotic Obfuscator
D

He nodded with a grimace. "Keep in mind I have never shared that particular piece of my memory with anyone else. Mostly because I know that I made enemies in all my old lives. Heck I may have made them in this life and just not remember them."

nem Offline OP
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
OP Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Heilbutt

He scowled at the bard and grumbled to himself, before saying, "Then I judge you as someone who throws their arm around an angry Wakelander with a spear."

Inwardly, Heilbutt felt that so far that day he'd made a fool of himself everytime he'd opened his mouth. And made a good fist of foolishness, even with his mouth closed.

He glanced ahead at Seyja. She probably hated him and thought he was an imbecile.

Such might have been expressed by his guileless body language.

nem Offline OP
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
OP Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Sergeant Almador

Smiling crookedly, he watched Jex.

"I like him," he commented to Weston, "if he does stay in town it will be a fine summer indeed. One to remember!"

The Sergeant turned to Weston and clapped his shoulder.

"Yes. That decides it then. A triumphant return, it is."

nem Offline OP
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
OP Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
GM

You thought about how strange it would be paddling through the maze of pale, water-carved rock, on your return journey. The river, some 10 to 20 feet below was vivid blue, reflecting the sky, and riffled gently until it merged into one of the troughs feeding the main stem. There they foamed, like spray from a tapped keg; cascades unlike any you'd seen before. Nature at its most artful.

For now you minded your step, and traversed the bare rocky tops above the river. The land either side climbed steeply, more vigorously, with hills seeming to clamber over the shoulders of the wooded hills in front. But the forest was darkened now by the long, late-afternoon shadows.

You hopped or jumped across a narrow cleft, and were startled on looking up to see that the Titan's Elbow had suddenly come cleanly into view.

It dominated the scene, towering above the landscape only a couple of miles away. There was something awful about it, you weren't sure what, but a light, gossamer blanket of forboding settled over you.

Of a sudden, Seyja halted mid-stride. It was pure reflex. Her nostrils twitched and her eyes widened.

Behind her, Zoltan was probably wondering what the matter was, and searching around with his own eyes.

He saw scuff marks on the rock nearby, near the edges where the maze's natural walls dropped to the river.

Seyja smelled it. The stench of orc wafted in the air.

(Buffalo)
Online Busy
(Buffalo)
Zoltan

Seyja stops in front of him and a split second later he sees why.

He holds up his hand in the universal sign of 'Stop!', and quietly draws his sword, trying to see if he can tell which way the sign leads.

M
M
<Weston>

It had been a pleasant diversion talking with Almador about caravaning, his family and town. But when the two leaders stopped abruptly and Zoltan pulled his sword, it was clear that something was up. From where he was and with the lack of foes in the immediate vicinity, he opts for his bow. He strings it an and readies an arrow before looking about for the cause of the concern.

MikeD
Seyja

The river below, tumbling across rocks through the gorge, pleased her but, at the same time concerned her. It had been poisoned - nothing so natural and beautiful should be tainted in such an evil way.

Then it was there before her: Titan's Elbow, it must be. She took another step forward and froze in position, instinctively drawing her greataxe from her shoulder even before her brain processed the stench that entered her flaring nostrils.

"Orcs!" she hissed and, eyes narrowed, she scanned the way ahead, searching for her deadly foe.

Chaotic Obfuscator
Online Content
Chaotic Obfuscator
D

The slight dark elf looked around and sought cover that he could use. His hands sprouted black sharp points as a dagger appeared in each of them. He would be ready for combat however it came. He would make good on his word to assist the female barbarian, should this be the time his marker was called.

Jex

"Indeed I am. And unless I misread you, you are proud to be a Wakelander. So I will call you either by your name, or Wakelander, unless you tell me not to" he answered the half-orc and before he removed his arm, he gave the man a pat on the back and flashed a big smile.

As they separated, the bard did notice that Hellibut was still angry and that he was glancing towards Seyja. Jex wasn't sure what the glance meant but he decided that he would find a way to keep any anger from erupting into chaos.

After a bit they stopped as Seyja's nostrils seemed to go into action. There were orcs about. He drew his rapier.

nem Offline OP
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
OP Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator

Nestaron

Observing Jex and Heilbutt, he shook his head. The cleric married his childhood sweetheart, so he was the last person who should be giving a lovesick half-orc advice.

He'd leave that to his companions. If Zoltan didn't, then perhaps Jex would. Though Nestaron was a little concerned what the bard might recommend. A love potion? Or worse, a love song?

There was enough evil in the world without Heilbutt singing.

Nestaron was just reaching for his waterskin when their line stopped abruptly. He immediately jogged up to the front, with his quarterstaff in both hands.

"Be ready to fight!" He said gravely to his companions.

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Tindarien

He is admiring yet another change in the landscape when there is a change ahead and a ripple passes down through their ranks. It seems there may be enemy close by.

Instantly he is alert and looking for any sign of activity, any potential threats.. ready to cast at the first sign of trouble.

nem Offline OP
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
OP Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Sergeant Almador

His head swung left right left. What was happening? They were under attack? Almador was a man-at-arms but the last serious bloodletting he'd seen was about thirty years ago.

Confidence drained out of him, just like the colour from his face. He didn't have the respect of his men to bolster him, to force a stoic face, and for a moment he flailed around for a reason not to flee.

But he saw the bravery of his companions and felt the jangling of the treasure on his back. The haunted helm.

Sergeant Almador had a duty, and what's more, his grandfather may have been a stubborn fool but he was no coward. Didn't that same blood run through his veins?

He swallowed noisily and hefted his partisan. He knew he should loosen up his upper body, but the tension had him shivering in its grip and couldn't be slackened.

M
M
<Weston>

"Keep an eye out behind us", he whispered to Almador. "Wouldn't want anyone sneaking up from behind", he said with a wink and a grin for the sergeant.

MikeD
MikeD #826671 Mon 14/09/15 22:50 UTC
nem Offline OP
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
OP Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
GM

A sound arose from the forest nearby, a cry, a cacophony of voices.

"MURDER!!" They said.

[End of session 2. Go to HHE7: Battle of Heilbutt's Hallow]

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  nem 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Talon475, Randal Trimmer, Kimf, Yvon, TennesseeBaron
177 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Member Spotlight
Angrboða
Angrboða
Tāmaki Makaurau, Aotearoa
Forum Statistics
Forums103
Topics2,828
Posts140,450
Members177
Most Online296
Jan 19th, 2020
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
†Restricted forums can only be accessed by DreamLyrics members of the age of 18 years or older. Access which is granted by the Behind Closed Doors Procedure.
™DreamLyrics Play-by-Post. DreamLyrics Play-by-Post does not own copyright on DreamLyrics texts or graphics, except trademarked DreamLyrics logos and logotypes. The works contained in DreamLyrics are copyrighted (automatically, under the Berne Convention) by the original authors and may be available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence. (See Copyrights for details.)
Privacy Policy