Eye of the Dragon
DreamLyrics Play-by-Post
Who's Online Now
1 members (Mina), 36 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Dice Roller
You will need to enable Javascript in order to view the Dice Roller.
Games Recruiting List

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Exeter #817274 Tue 23/06/15 13:33 UTC
O
Revenant
Revenant
O
Nestaron

Laying a comforting hand on Heilbutt's shoulder, he replied simply to the Lady.

"We will do our best."

Owain #817288 Tue 23/06/15 19:24 UTC
nem Offline OP
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
OP Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
GM

"Then we are allies." The Baronessa said after you had pledged to the quest, and it was elegantly put.

In her own words you weren't her minions or retainers, you weren't her champions or vassals. You weren't subordinate at all, in fact, you were her allies.

No doubt the gesture would be deemed crass and contemptible by most nobles, but perhaps you were more appreciative of the gesture.

Lady Morgen evidently thought nothing of treating commoners as equals. From her reputation, you wouldn't be surprised if her criteria for an equal relied on more than one's heritage.

The Baronessa smiled warmly and nodded to Captain Achelus. While she bent at the knee and petted the bear cubs, the Captain of the Guards walked over to Irt.

Irt was dressed like a shepherd, a linen smock, a ragged straw hat and leant on a crook. He was ruddy-faced from the summer sun and had a wispy neck-beard. He had one of those blinks were his whole face scrunched up and it gave him a rather dim-witted facade.

The Captain gave Irt a reassuring look and cleared his throat.

"This man is Irt, a local shepherd whose family has roamed further along the river valley than anyone we know. Say hello, Irt." Said Achelus.

Sweat had broken out on Irt's top lip but he spoke, or mumbled. "If I knows a smidgen is all..."

Captain Achelus smirked. "Now now, no need to be modest, Irt. It was you who saw that herd of deer leaving the valley, all the way up on Hard-acre!"

The Captain turned to you. "Irt tends bonehead sheep and they're aptly named. They wander far and often without much sense. Every day Irt has to track them down first, then round them up and bring them back to the fold.

"According to him, there are two routes to the Titan's Elbow. On horseback, you can ride along the northern ridge, where the trees are thin on the seaward slope. There are goat trails criss-crossing the ridgetop that you would have to navigate, but this must be the route Sir Edward the Red took. He had his white palfrey for riding and a courser for battle, neither of which were suited to the alternative route along the riverbank.

"Following the river on foot would be easy enough. It's rocky, uneven ground but more open, with some low climbs and narrow paths in places. It will be tiring, but you're sure to get where your going with no time wasted.

"Travelling by horseback along the ridge should take you two days. Following the river on foot, a full day. Our stables can provide mounts if you need them, and Irt can guide you from town onto your chosen path."

"This will be a p-perilous journey, Captain, shouldn't you join them?" Asked the Seneschal with perhaps dubious motives.

The Captain stroked his moustaches coolly. "As you know, Seneschal, I'm a diplomat and negotiator, and I doubt there's anything on Titan's Elbow that would listen to reason..."

"I will go, Captain!" Blurted the Sergeant of the Guard, "Tis my grandfather's bane at the root of these troubles and someone local like should stand for the town."

Captain Achelus glanced to Weston and Zoltan, then back to the Sergeant.

"That was well done, Sergeant," he said, "but we must leave it to our allies to make that decision. This is their party now.

"Besides which, the woodland hereabouts is not nearly as wild as it looks. There are no bandits or hostile tribes that we know of, and the Faerie Folk are shy, but friendly.

"Other than the Titan's Elbow, this region is not known for monsters. According to Irt, there are lions, bears, wolves, though it's the dire boars that are the greatest threat. They're belligerent, lazy creatures, and fiercely territorial. They'll eat meat, carrion, or any prey they can catch, including unwary travellers.

"The rock apes on the southern bank might be a pest, but they scare easily. We also don't know what else might have been drawn to Titan's Elbow, if indeed a fell presence has awoken there."

Captain Achelus chewed his lip in thought but decided he was finished.

"If you have any questions, I will do my best to answer them."

nem #817292 Tue 23/06/15 20:43 UTC
M
M
<Weston>

He smiled at the Baroness's words. She was much nicer than most nobles he had met.

He smiled at the 'enthusiasm' of the sergeant. He remembered a time when he had that sort of enthusiasm. But that was some time ago. He had mellowed a bit since his younger days.

He turned to Zoltan. "Walking the river path sounds like the better route. I should think it would be easier to find the source of pollution traveling along the water itself ... especially if it is not connected to this 'treasure' but was merely a coincidence."

He didn't really believe in coincidence, but they =did= happen.

MikeD
MikeD #817309 Tue 23/06/15 22:36 UTC
Seyja

"Did the knight travel alone or did he have company when he left?"

Exeter #817350 Wed 24/06/15 10:17 UTC
nem Offline OP
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
OP Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Captain Achelus

"'Red Ed' went through squires like most men go through hose. On this occasion he was travelling alone and travelling light, without pack animals, his lances or suit of armour.

"He resupplied in town and drank at the tavern. Her Ladyship was still abroad at the time, but we offered to receive him here at the demesne. He preferred the tavern, so I met him there to discuss our business."

The Captain shook his head, remembering the meeting.

"He was in fine fettle and enjoying his cups. Sir Edward the Red was brash and full of himself, as always, but you could tell he truly loved life on the road. He hated the idea of a knight errant, 'roaming the wilds' with an entourage of valets and a palatial pavilion.

"But no, whilst he spoke loudly and at length of the foes he vanquished, he made no mention of any ongoing enmity.

"He slept outside the town gates, under a tree by the road and the Guards saw him riding out at first light. No other strangers have been through here, by land or sea. If 'the provinces' had provinces, that's where the Sword Point would be."

nem #817353 Wed 24/06/15 11:49 UTC
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Zoltan

He nods agreement to Weston. "Not in the mood to hassle with mounts anyway. Usually more trouble than they're worth for anything other than a long journey."

He glances at the Sergeant, judging the man's martial appearance.

[OOC - Neal - Does he look like a capable fighter or does he look like a towns-person in ill-fitting armour?]

Zeim #817355 Wed 24/06/15 12:13 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Tindarien

"I agree, the river path seems the most opportune. The knight's horse did not prove to be of assistance and a more stealthy approach may be called for."

He doesn't comment yet regarding the Sergeant.

Gypsy #817365 Wed 24/06/15 13:10 UTC
Seyja

"No armor," she muttered, nodding but rather doubtfully.

Exeter #817374 Wed 24/06/15 13:33 UTC
M
M
<Weston>

He nodded at Seyja's comment. "I was thinking the same thing. It sounds like he was not expecting trouble ... more like a treasure hunt than a monster hunt."

MikeD
MikeD #817411 Wed 24/06/15 19:26 UTC
nem Offline OP
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
OP Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
GM

Captain Achelus nodded slowly at Seyja then Weston's comments.

"Though without a squire to assist in putting it on there wouldn't be much point in lugging plate armour around.

"He was wearing his arming doublet though, a light armour at least. And of course, he carried his sword and shield.

"Still, I think you might be right. It's not as if we were being terrorised by the Beast of the Elbow at the time. Sir Edward must've thought whatever monster had lived there, if ever any did, it must have long since perished."

The Sergeant of the Guard shook his head sadly at the folly of it all.

He was a large man with a grey beard and thinning hair. Carrying a few too many stones, he was not what you would call fighting fit, but he looked vigorous and healthy otherwise.

You would expect a man-at-arms who patrolled the steep streets and battlements of Rosencliff to handle a day's hike easily.

His arms and armour appeared well maintained and the Sergeant seemed proud of his station. Was he skilled in battle? Probably not. Probably not even experienced. But all of that mattered less than a man's mettle when it came to facing down the monsters of the world.

Looking at him, perhaps your greatest concern would be that he's a family man. No bachelor would eat so well unless he was a pie-maker by trade.

nem #817416 Wed 24/06/15 19:40 UTC
M
M
<Weston>

"So, do we want to leave today or wait for the morrow", he asked.

MikeD
MikeD #817421 Wed 24/06/15 20:26 UTC
Chaotic Obfuscator
Chaotic Obfuscator
D

"Why wait? If we have a specific reason to do so, then by all means. I came provisioned and am ready to travel now."

Last edited by Pandemonium; Wed 24/06/15 20:26 UTC.
MikeD #817433 Wed 24/06/15 21:25 UTC
nem Offline OP
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
OP Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Lady Morgen

She stood, leaving the bear cubs to shamble along in her footsteps.

"As much as I admire Jexric's eagerness and your... readiness, Señor Dusk, you should siesta this afternoon. Tonight you can prepare what you need for the journey ahead, then set out at dawn. It will be cooler then, and by high noon you should be down by the river's edge.

"You are welcome to stay here in my demesne, as my guests, and dine with me this evening. Or you can stay in town, if you wish, and the Captain can make the arrangements for you."

nem #817439 Wed 24/06/15 22:15 UTC
Seyja

At the mention of plate armor, the barbarian woman's expression tightened in distaste but, after a moment, she shrugged and her expression eased.

"Tonight, tomorrow..." she shrugged again.

"It would give me opportunity to check my provisioning and gear," she said, thinking of the items she had lost when she had had to jump in the sea.

Exeter #817445 Wed 24/06/15 22:55 UTC
M
M
<Weston>

"Sounds like tomorrow it is", he said with smile. "And thank you for your generosity M'lady."

MikeD
MikeD #817463 Thu 25/06/15 02:24 UTC
Chaotic Obfuscator
Chaotic Obfuscator
D

He nodded in acceptance of the suggestion. "I would very much like to accept you generous hospitality, Lady." He didn't continue that he would like to learn more about her and his own connection to her. He couldn't assume that she had time in her very important life events for wandering mercenaries. Though he hoped that was just the case.

Pandemonium #817485 Thu 25/06/15 10:58 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Tindarien

"I would be glad to accept your hospitality Baronessa."

He is still considering the Sergeant. It might be useful to have someone with them that knows the area and its people. And they could send him back with a progress report before the really serious stuff starts, assuming of course they can recognise it before it starts.

Gypsy #817496 Thu 25/06/15 12:23 UTC
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Zoltan

He frowns at the delay. There is evil nearby and he'd like nothing better than to go destroy it now. But it seems the others prefer to take the Baroness' advice and wait until morning, and for better or worse they are all together in this.

He looks closer at the Sergeant. A bit heavy, but that comes with age. He looks fit enough. Not a gladiator ready for the games, but his heart is in the right place. He has a right to come if he wishes, but he needs to do it fully aware of the risks.

"You are welcome to join, Sergeant Gorehound", he says, looking the man in the eye. "But if you do so, know you may not return. Is there a wife and family you would leave fatherless?"

Zeim #817526 Thu 25/06/15 18:24 UTC
nem Offline OP
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
OP Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
GM

"Begging your pardon, sir," said the Sergeant, "but my name is not Gorehound, my grandfather never told us he was a gladiator.

"We have always been Almadors... That is, I am Sergeant Almador, sir, and I have a wife and five children and eleven grandchildren."

The man-at-arms shifted uncomfortably on his feet and again shook his head, struggling with his quandary. He looked from the Captain to Zoltan.

"I've no wish to repeat the mistakes of my grandfather, sir. But what choice do I have? It cannot be right or decent to let strangers fight my family's battles, and when they've imperilled the town I love too? I can't abide it, sir. I feel I must do something!"

In two minds himself, Captain Achelus turned to the Baronessa but she regarded him blankly like a stone wall. You saw in that look the ruthlessness you'd heard about. She gave Achelus nothing, no decision, no advice, not even her opinion. However, she had a point insomuch as it was ultimately the Sergeant's decision. She could order him to go or stay, but why make it easy for him?

The Sergeant wore a brigandine and helmet, medium armour really. He carried a cudgel and a polearm (a partisan), and as one of the town guards he would also be trained in the crossbow.

Did you have any objection to him coming?

nem #817534 Thu 25/06/15 19:13 UTC
O
Revenant
Revenant
O
Nestaron

"Heilbutt and I will gratefully accept your offer of lodging, Lady."

Owain #817540 Thu 25/06/15 19:32 UTC
nem Offline OP
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
OP Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
[Ghosted for Khamsin]

Jex

"As will I!" Chimed the bard with great enthusiasm, his hands itching to snatch the lute off of his back.

Instead he sucked in a breath and gave a dashing, if snaggletoothed smile.

"And it would be my honour to entertain you all over supper!"

Then he saw the Sergeant's slouched shoulders and head, almost the look of a condemned man.

"There's naught right or decent to it, Sergeant Almador. Your grandfather's wife, presumably your grandmother, swore on her life that no-one from this town would go chasing after him.

"I have studied fables in great depth and will say this: It might be better if you do stay here, otherwise you could have another narked off dead relative knocking at your door."

nem #817542 Thu 25/06/15 19:37 UTC
nem Offline OP
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
OP Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Heilbutt

He'd been calmed by Nestaron's hand on his shoulder and was gradually dragging his attention away from the haunted helm.

He whispered to Seyja, "I am amazed they wear anything in this weather. So hot is it!"

nem #817550 Thu 25/06/15 21:00 UTC
M
M
<Weston>

He shook his head at Jex's ... suggestion. "I'll not deny you a place on the expedition Almador, if that is truly your desire. The caution about worry for your family =is= a valid one, however, and should be given due consideration. But, at least as far as I am concerned, that is for you to decide. If you are sure you want to guide us, I would welcome your company."

MikeD
MikeD #817572 Fri 26/06/15 01:09 UTC
Seyja

"The lady would probably have them locked up," she whispered back to the half-orc, "if they didn't dress all proper like."

Exeter #817595 Fri 26/06/15 06:26 UTC
Chaotic Obfuscator
Chaotic Obfuscator
D

He wasn't sure he liked the idea of a local coming along. But he could voice no reason against it. Every man had the right to take the chances he chose.

D was pleased that the bard would entertain them. He was begining to like the man's sense of humor and tales.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  nem 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Talon475, Randal Trimmer, Kimf, Yvon, TennesseeBaron
177 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Zeim
Member Spotlight
Art in the Blood
Art in the Blood
Duluth, Georgia, United States
Forum Statistics
Forums103
Topics2,840
Posts140,714
Members177
Most Online296
Jan 19th, 2020
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
†Restricted forums can only be accessed by DreamLyrics members of the age of 18 years or older. Access which is granted by the Behind Closed Doors Procedure.
™DreamLyrics Play-by-Post. DreamLyrics Play-by-Post does not own copyright on DreamLyrics texts or graphics, except trademarked DreamLyrics logos and logotypes. The works contained in DreamLyrics are copyrighted (automatically, under the Berne Convention) by the original authors and may be available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence. (See Copyrights for details.)
Privacy Policy