Eye of the Dragon
DreamLyrics Play-by-Post
Who's Online Now
1 members (Miales), 15 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Dice Roller
You will need to enable Javascript in order to view the Dice Roller.
Games Recruiting List

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
MikeD #805341 Sun 26/04/15 20:43 UTC
right now I am just a lurker of the game and will sit in the easy chair in the corner with the virtual rulebook.

If a spot opens up or an in-game need arises then the GM will let me know if I am moving up to the big table.

I haven't really thought too deeply about a character yet, though I may retool a character I used in the short lived 2008 game by Pete Hat (BTR) if given the opportunity. All hypothetical at this point

sits down and takes a drink from the gallon jug of arizona iced tea that I carry around with me when I game... By the way, Donde esta el bano?

nem Offline OP
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
OP Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Well, that's why you have to drain the jug first, Phoenix! razz

What was BTR's full name, btw? I don't recall that one.

Pete Hat was a trojan, wasn't he! Great guy. From your state, actually Phoenix, but ended up moving to Blighty. Haven't heard from him in donkeys ages.

13th Age adventures tend to be quite NPC heavy, so even if Phoenix can lend some of his talents to one or two of those, it'll save you from listening to me drone on.

<Nem digs out a pair of X-Mini capsule speakers from his backpack and hooks them up to his smartphone. The new Motorola, one of those new style, embarrassingly large smartphones, like a touchscreened throwback to the Eighties. Strange how fashion cycles even apply to consumer electronics.>

OK, so I'm excited to be GMing. I have a classic D&D adventure here. It's very short, about half the length of The Vessel of Stars (if you remember that one), but it should give us what we need.

It's one of those early modules that doesn't have a plot as such, so that makes it perfect for injecting 13th Age special sauce into it.

I'm excited by the characters you guys have created. Thanks for letting me in on your creative process there.

So here are my thoughts...

Seyja, Human Barbarian. The only female character in the group, and I like that she's a barbarian. I have fond memories of Barbarian Queen! (Shoddy film, but you can't knock that Boris Valejo poster.)

<Shows everyone image on smartphone>

Sorry Exeter, got distracted!! Putting adolescent fantasies to one side, I think Seyja's primitive culture will contrast nicely with the rest of the group and her One Unique Thing makes me wince, in a campaign it would cause so much mayhem...

Tindarien, High Elf Sorcerer. An intriguing character this one, there's an acquisitive tone to Tindarien that I think will help drive the party onwards. For a GM, that's kind of reassuring going into a game! wink

Jexric, Human Bard. Great, fun character this one. I don't know how Khamsin will play him, but from my reading there's a dash of Jack Sparrow in this one.

Weston, Human Fighter. This is your hero. Hehe, not to say the rest of you aren't protagonists, or heroic even, but Weston's your down-to-earth, humble beginnings hero. The common man with a good heart and a sense of justice.

Cilmion, Half-Elf Cleric. Or it is Nestaron, Owain? This is one of my favourites D&D clerics already. Rather than a archetypal follower of an archetypal D&D deity, Cilmion reads to me like an Old Testament character.

Check it out: Has divine visions. Has split heritage. Was raised by pagans, but has since found religion. Moses anyone? You should consider having him wield a quarterstaff, Owain! smile

Mysterious D, Dark Elf Rogue. I got Shadow of Mordor vibes from Pandemonium's character. I think he was riffing on another fictional character entirely. But this character's backstory is really asking the GM to inflict mental torture on the player, and I always applaud that. I already have a few ideas! weg

Zoltan, Demon-touched Paladin. Zeim's character evolved quite a bit, but retained it's core concept, which I thought was very Bondesque. A killer, serving a noble cause but with scary parallels to the things he kills. His womanising and gambling traits resonated too. I bet no-one else here as ever equated a D&D Paladin to James Bond either? 13th Age sure does strange things to old archetypes.

nem #805358 Sun 26/04/15 22:28 UTC
Nem- I went through what little material i saved from the game and I don't see a game mention... Perhaps you guys who have keys to vault where the archives are kept can dig up the dusty scrolls on this one.

It was a AD&D game using 4e. It was based around the small plantation towns between Sasserine and Cauldron... The Amedio Jungle in Greyhawk.

Cool concept that demanded we all interview to be accepted to play. And the setup had us create characters whose backgrounds were more like normal folks and our skills would translate into adventuring classes... we just weren't adventurers.

My character was a female scout and guide whose job was to lead fancy-pants caravans back and forth from Sasserine on the coast, into the plantation towns were all manner of business was being down... good and bad.

she would become the party's ranger. It didn't last long before Pete had to disappear into RL. I think this was his last DL game too.... but it was a powerful concept that stuck with me and i saved my portion of it. I think MikeD was in this game as well.

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
I remember the game, Phoenix. I had a female Eladrin Wizard. She lived in the Feywild in a tower in the swamps nearby with her master and used to travel the swamps and towns to gather supplies and components for him. It was short lived, as I recall. We had one encounter where a small village was being attacked and we had to save it before the game stopped.

In fact, this pc was the one I modeled my WDA pc on. WDA was a much more extreme version.

O
Revenant
Revenant
O
Hey Boss. Cleric's name is Nestaron. Cilmion is a 'nickname' given to him by Priestess followers who either like him too much and have ridiculous expectations or hate him and use it disparagingly, so he really isn't fond of it. Guaranteed trigger just using it.

Quarterstaff works. He's really not a fighter much at all. Breaking down pieces of the cosmic blueprint is bad. Sure one must do what one must do in order to survive and fulfill one's divine purpose but still, it rankles.

Owain #805373 Sun 26/04/15 23:54 UTC
M
M
Well our characters have some connection, then Zeim. Weston follows the Great Golden Worm as well.

Nice poster Nem. Might have to see if the movie is on NetFlix when I get home.

I thought BTR was a Babylon5 game. Can't recall the full name, but remember that much. Did we have two games that had the same initials?

MikeD
MikeD #805376 Sun 26/04/15 23:59 UTC
Chaotic Obfuscator
Chaotic Obfuscator
For D I could easily swap out The Archmage for the Great Gold Wyrm if that would be interesting for a tie in. Up to the GM, and whatever nefarious plot lines that he has come up with.

MikeD #805378 Mon 27/04/15 00:00 UTC
TBP was Ken's babylon 5 game way back when.

BTR was definitely the letter code for this game by Pete. If there was a B5 game with those letters, I don't remember it.

It seems I remember playing a Paladin in that short-lived game of Pete's...

Exeter #805409 Mon 27/04/15 00:37 UTC
M
M
well I can dig around in the archives when I get a chance and see if I can find the name.

Just found it ... Blood Tide Rising

And there was also a B5 game run by KenSeg with BTR as the initials. It came after Pete's game which is probably why I remembered that one since I would have archived it after pete's game.

Last edited by MikeD; Mon 27/04/15 00:40 UTC.

MikeD
Zeim #805530 Mon 27/04/15 11:28 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Having been earwigging just off camera, Gypsy slips in and takes a seat, chucking two small containers of Wessex dice to Neil. He always forgets his.

"They are blessed of course."

Sounds more like cursed...

Not quite in her usual get up, she has an untidy mess of streamers in her hair and a balloon tied on somewhere she can't reach that bobs behind her left shoulder. Reaching into her bag she takes out her carved trusty dice box, sheet and various writing materials.

With a big grin grin she announces..

"I'm ready!"

Gypsy #805683 Mon 27/04/15 18:53 UTC
nem Offline OP
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
OP Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Ah, nice one, Gypsy! Thanks!

<Looks around for the cats that will surely follow Gypsy in>>

Uh, yeah, where were we?

Ah yes, Blood Tide Rising. Nope, I really don't recall it; I must've missed it somehow.

Now that we're all here, I'm going hand out another player's character sheet to each of you. I want you to read it and do a quick check on the mechanics.

The idea here is threefold.

First, you check each other's work, just like school days! wink

Second, you also learn more about 13th Age classes.

(Whoever gets MikeD's fighter, for example, might be quite surprised by the depth they've added to that class.)

And third, it gives me time to jam together some notes on the Icon Relationship rolls you're about to make.

Here we go...

<Opens rule book at bookmarked page for extra gravitas>

Looking at your own character sheet, you can see your Icon Relationships on the left, about two thirds up.

Listed is an Icon, a score, and positive/conflicted/negative.

For example, Andrek has a +2 conflicted relationship with the Dwarf Lord, and a +1 positive with the Archmage.

So I'd need to make two separate rolls using the Pre-Game dice roller. The first would look something like this...

Character: Andrek
Action Description: Dwarf Lord +2 conflicted
Dice Roll: 1d6,1d6
Game Turn: Icon Relationships

You roll 1d6 per point in the relationship, +1, +2 or +3, etc.

<Dumps some dice into the dice roller, rattles it and slams it on the table.>

So there are Andrek's rolls. We're only interested in 5's or 6's.

5's mean the Icon has some kind of deal for you, or some plan they had for you has backfired slightly.

6's are the same as 5's, but the deal is entirely in your favour, or the plan they had has gone completely according to, um, plan.

Andrek gets a 5 for the Dwarf Lord and a 5 for the Archmage. I would have to figure out what that means in the context of this adventure, if Andrek was actually a PC. Since he isn't I'm going to turn the dice roller over to you, while I hand these out.

<Opens plastic wallet to hand out character sheets>

Last edited by nemarsde; Mon 27/04/15 19:21 UTC.
nem #805733 Mon 27/04/15 21:55 UTC
Chaotic Obfuscator
Chaotic Obfuscator
Picks up three d6 and rattles them for a bit before dropping them bones on the table for everyone to see.

"Looks like a 6 for my enemy The Black and another 6 for my ally The Diabolist. Archmage came up as a 2. Should make things interesting and fun. That work? Oh and I am still open to changing one of them to the Great Gold Wyrm should that fit better with your plans."

D The Black, The Diabolist, The Archmage
Pandemonium rolled d6,d6,d6 and got 6, 6, 2

Last edited by Pandemonium; Tue 28/04/15 00:07 UTC.
nem #805735 Mon 27/04/15 22:13 UTC
Sorry folks, got distracted by my Twitter feed and doing some heavy prep work for a meeting with the suits next week. Nods to Pandemonium as thanks for the sharing of dice.

OK, so Jexric is a human bard. Quite the character. Part Don Juan, Indianna Jones and Robin Hood (although his morals are slightly different than Robin's).

Doesn't get along well with The Blue after he escaped from it's court in Drakkenhall. Has been known to sing a ballad about raising a cup to The Prince who seems occasionally amused by it. And, The Archmage seems to be concerned about his fusion of Cries, Songs and sorcery...

He's a dashing man who would rather wear finery than armor. His pork-pie had seems to be eternally rumpled. Has been known to entertain the maidens with parlor tricks...uhmmm moving on.

He can swear at you in many different languages, should the need arise. You might want to stay out of the way of his bow too.

For some unknown reason, he really enjoys playing his flute standing on one leg with the other leg in a figure four position, resting against his knee.

So why am I looking forward to playing him? Well it's not everyday that you get to play a character, who was swallowed by a dragon and lived to tell about it.

Last edited by Khamsin; Mon 27/04/15 22:14 UTC.
O
Revenant
Revenant
O
...rolls his dice, getting 4, 5, and 6, for Priestess, High Druid, Crusader respectively.

"I guess the High Druid has some kind of deal for Nestaron, or some plan they had for him has backfired slightly. Fair enough, he's been working as a courier for him for a while, and his parents are still running that bar on the fringes of the Wild Wood, on the road towards the town where the Cathedral of the Priestess is."

Owain #805756 Mon 27/04/15 23:50 UTC
M
M
"Not sure if I understand this completely, but ..." opening three of the Chessex 'tubes', he pulls three 6 siders out and rolls them ...

me getting started 3d6 MikeD rolled d6,d6,d6 and got 5, 1, 5

"so I am guessing that the Great Gold Worm has a mission or two for me."

MikeD
MikeD #805759 Tue 28/04/15 00:00 UTC
(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
"OK, lets see." He takes up his 3d6 and rolls them across the table.

"Looks like two non-rolls but a real good result for the Great Gold Worm."

Zoltan Icon Rolls - Crusader (Positive +1), GGW (Conflicted +1), Diabolist (Negative +1)
Zeim rolled d6,d6,d6 and got 2, 6, 4

Zeim #805837 Tue 28/04/15 11:12 UTC
Alrighty then...Jexric will attempt to use his Balladeer talent / feat to influence his relationship with the Prince. I stand up and assume the position with air-flute ready to play:

Quote:
Blue swallowed me whole and thought i was done
So raise a cup to the Prince who won
Without a doubt
He used his clout
So I tickled it's snout
And ol' Blue spit me out

Bowing to GM, I'd like to make a CHA check and use the Balladeer feat. Borrowing a d20 from Pand.

Mods to roll +6 Court Jester, +3 CHA & +1 level. I need a total of 15 to succeed. Correct?

Cha check: pre-game
Jexric Tulle Balladeer talent / feat: "A Round for the Prince of Shadows"
Khamsin rolled d20+10 and got 15

Assuming the roll succeeds...this would provide a bonus so any 5's rolled for Prince become 6's.

Icon Relations
Jexric Tulle Prince of Shadows +2 Positive (5's = 6's), The Blue +1 Negative, Archmage +1 Conflicted
Khamsin rolled d6,d6,d6,d6 and got 6, 6, 3, 1

Well lookie there...The prince seems to be amused!

Last edited by Khamsin; Tue 28/04/15 11:23 UTC.
Zeim #805838 Tue 28/04/15 11:17 UTC
nem Offline OP
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
OP Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Nice one, Khamsin!

Looks like the Great Gold Wyrm's got something in the works for MikeD and Zeim.

And yeow, the Three and the Crusader; enemies making moves against Pandemonium and Owain! <Sings> There maybe trouble ahead... lol

Last edited by nemarsde; Tue 28/04/15 11:24 UTC.
nem #805854 Tue 28/04/15 12:30 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
The only roll of consequence for Tindarien is a 6 for the High Druid.

Interesting start guys! grin

Gypsy #805859 Tue 28/04/15 12:52 UTC
O
Revenant
Revenant
O
Gypsy, I wonder what connection may or may not exist - or may come into existence - between Tindarien and Nestaron, in their relationships with the High Druid

Owain #805867 Tue 28/04/15 13:39 UTC
nem Offline OP
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
OP Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Hey Khamsin, and now you need to roll a cursed Icon dice for the Blue. weg I like those best!

nem #805869 Tue 28/04/15 13:53 UTC
Huh? Pardon my ignorance..."cursed die"??? Not sure what you mean. I thought my roll of 3 for Blue was all I needed to roll.

Sorry y'all, I have the rules but this is my first time actually playing. Newb help always appreciated!

nem #805870 Tue 28/04/15 13:55 UTC
Huh? Pardon my ignorance..."cursed die"??? Not sure what you mean. I thought my roll of 3 for Blue was all I needed to roll.

Sorry y'all, I have the rules but this is my first time actually playing. Newb help always appreciated!

Icon Relations
Jexric Tulle Cursed die for Blue
Khamsin rolled d6 and got 4

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Neal - Yes, for those of us who have never played before can you explain (this and other new things)?

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  nem 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Talon475, Randal Trimmer, Kimf, Yvon, Xiang Chin
177 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Member Spotlight
Phoenix Prime
Phoenix Prime
Sanger Texas
Forum Statistics
Forums103
Topics2,816
Posts139,470
Members177
Most Online296
Jan 19th, 2020
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
†Restricted forums can only be accessed by DreamLyrics members of the age of 18 years or older. Access which is granted by the Behind Closed Doors Procedure.
™DreamLyrics Play-by-Post. DreamLyrics Play-by-Post does not own copyright on DreamLyrics texts or graphics, except trademarked DreamLyrics logos and logotypes. The works contained in DreamLyrics are copyrighted (automatically, under the Berne Convention) by the original authors and may be available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence. (See Copyrights for details.)
Privacy Policy