I have a few suggestions to make about restarting, which should help to get things going again.

Firstly you can access your closed forum via a link even when it is still closed. Just ask myself via email or a sysop via PM what that link is.

This will enable you to prep your game prior to it reopening, start of game threads, close old threads, add a welcome back message for your players, that sort of thing. As no-one else can see what you are doing, you can work without pressure.

I would also contact your existing players but not with the usual roll call message. Instead I would go into the forum, look at each character, think about where that character might go in the game and then email the player individually, giving a restart date (maybe end of Sept to give a bit of time) and suggesting in a broad base way the sort of ideas you have lined up for the character. Then ask for feedback. What the player wants from the game.

This contact has the effect of generating interest in the game, rekindling the players original ideas and expectations and most importantly, with info and a date from you, gives them confidence that the game is not only restarting but has direction already and a GM who has already committed work to it.

You have to be prepared that there might be drop out as players lose touch with characters if they are not played for a while, which is why some emailing one to one before hand can minimize any likely drop out.

The other thing that is good for a game is new blood. Also helps to fill any gaps which may occur! grin So take a look at you game prior to emailing, decide if you could stand an extra player or two, even if everyone restarts. If so tell your players in the email that you are going to add some new blood and whilst talking via email, post that teaser you would have prepared in the initial forum exploration.

The key to recruitment is to write in story form, hinting at possibilities within the game, teasing folk to join. They get an idea of your style and the game's direction from it and hopefully it leaves them wanting more.

Finally, when you are ready to restart, an email to me or a post in Cauldron asking for your game to be opened should elicit a response within 24 hours. Make sure you open the game when you will be free to devote time to it.

If you want any help, including writing of teasers or want to run any past me prior to posting them, always willing to help. So ask if you need any. Otherwise, good luck, hope your game flourishes! smile