Eye of the Dragon
DreamLyrics Play-by-Post
Who's Online Now
1 members (Phoenix Prime), 22 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Dice Roller
You will need to enable Javascript in order to view the Dice Roller.
Games Recruiting List

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#744899 Mon 06/10/14 20:54 UTC
Chaotic Obfuscator
OP Offline
Chaotic Obfuscator
Lets talk about characters and mechanics here.
Welcome.

R
Raven
Unregistered
Raven
Unregistered
R
Okay <props fists on hands and gives avid attention> Lets!

#744931 Mon 06/10/14 23:12 UTC
Yes, lets! I love the idea but know nothing about the mechanics.

I don't particularly like cats, but would love to play one. smile

I think I'd like to play a fat, lazy Manx cat, whose name is Gato Gordo and who speaks in a Spanish accent and thinks he knows how to speak Spanish, but whatever he tries to say in Spanish comes out garbled or just plain wrong.

Maybe I do like cats. grin

Exeter #744964 Tue 07/10/14 01:20 UTC
Seeker of Patterns
Seeker of Patterns
I honestly really want to RP the first cat that was "my" cat -- a half-Main Coon streetwise hunter. I really love the thought. lol

Lady of Misrule
Chaotic Obfuscator
OP Offline
Chaotic Obfuscator
Ok so added a couple of more threads with the intro stuff so you can get a feel for things.

Much of the mechanics I can and will take care of. The bulk of the game is built around RP-ing. The true bit of mechanics that play a role for those who haven't played Fate is Aspects. Correspondingly invoking and compelling said aspects.

An aspect is something that is true about the character. For example Hot Shot Pilot. A good aspect is one that can be seen as both good and bad for a character depending upon the circumstances. More information can be found on the web, but I will assist in that as well.

The main idea you guys already have. Playing cats in a magical world. That is the key. The rest is window dressing for flavor. smile

Last edited by Pandemonium; Tue 07/10/14 03:24 UTC.
AJ Offline
I'm thinking of going for a lean and wiry ginger tom, with a bit of a vicious streak, young but ambitious.

AJ #745019 Tue 07/10/14 11:07 UTC
R
Raven
Unregistered
Raven
Unregistered
R
A cat who accompanies her burden on all his silly adventures. Why, oh why, does he have to climb mountains? Protective and resigned to going all kinds of weird, stupid places.

When not hiking, she enjoys long naps in sunbeams in their apartment.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

#745037 Tue 07/10/14 12:57 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Tough I haven't played Fate for a few years, I really liked the aspects part of the game mechanics. And I hope Pande won't mind if I expand a little. smile

The idea is that reading your list of aspects gives anyone the main idea of what your character is about ie they describe the character. A previous character of mine had the following for example:

Child of the Moon
Tainted Blood
Gypsy Acrobat
Divination
Hunted by Black Hawks

So from just a few words and phrase you can almost 'see' the character. smile

#745043 Tue 07/10/14 13:14 UTC
Here's my idea...

Seer-On-High lives to climb. Especially inside, on the top of shelves, where everything is below to be seen. He can reach places where no one can imagine how, and from there see all. More than most, in fact, as he can step higher still, into Astral Space, and can also knock things off shelves to read the future in their broken bits. He's dangerous when he can leap on a foe from on high, but otherwise skittish and unlikely to stand and fight.

Or maybe it's more like Blitzer is a bad cat, always getting caught up in places he oughtn't have gotten and can't get back from, breaking things and jumping down with a loud thump to kick the bits about until he's chased from the room so his Burden can clean up the mess.

The Ghoul #745169 Wed 08/10/14 00:15 UTC
Chaotic Obfuscator
OP Offline
Chaotic Obfuscator
Nice. Getting some meat in with the discussion. I like Seer, Ghoul.

As far as two cats being masters of the same type of magic, it isn't as big a deal as it might seem. All of the cats will have plenty of skills to differentiate them.

And to reinforce what Gypsy is saying. By virtue of your aspects your character will be entirely different from another even if you were to match skills, skill levels, and magical powers (aka stunts).

The general rule of thumb will be no reason to roll dice unless the outcome of said roll would mean something interesting to the story.

For example, trying to get in a window and it is a leap from a tree. If getting is the goal, and there really is nothing exciting about the leap, then in the cat goes. If however, leaping might be important as the cat tries to escape the evil eagle swooping down, then maybe a roll is necessary. If the leap isn't the question but how the cat lands because of what it might do to its reputation and or Burden inside, then maybe a roll is necessary.

All aspects of the character are true. So for the earlier example of Hot Shot Pilot, it is always true and the character can be played that way. Extraordinary circumstances might make things interesting or a challenge but it in no way changes the base aspect.

Seeker of Patterns
Seeker of Patterns
Terror of the Alley (his chosen name -- please don't ask what his burden named him. The child was only 5 at the time, after all, and did not understand the principles behind the naming of cats) has single-pawedly wiped out nearly all of the rats from the alley behind his burden's dwelling. They are nasty creatures, rats, carriers of disease and biters of the young. And they taste good.

He is the stalker in shadows, the still death, the lightning paw. He is the defender of the weak and king of his land. He has sent a doberman running for shelter while yelping in pain. He has feasted on the foreign delicacy called parakeet. He has sent a chihuahua to the vet (to be fair, he did think it was a rat). And he has sacrificed the blood of numerous pigeons to keep his burden safe. He is magnificent of stature and of whisker. Who dare challenge him?

(yes, seriously, this was my first cat, I swear).

So I saw the character creation thread -- I get the descriptions of the power but I'm still a bit vague on the other stuff mentioned in the first post (Refresh, Aspects, Stress, etc). Is there something we specifically need to read to figure that stuff out?

Lady of Misrule
Chaotic Obfuscator
OP Offline
Chaotic Obfuscator
Added another message specifically discussing the Aspects and which ones are needed. More information can be found on the web at

Aspects

Making a good aspect

Aspects and fate points

A list of aspects

In short though think of a phrase that is short and double edged. It should describe your character or a facet there of.

Last edited by Pandemonium; Wed 08/10/14 04:38 UTC.
R
Raven
Unregistered
Raven
Unregistered
R
Does something like this work?

Leaper-of-Obstacles, true-named, was raised in a storm season and was given the kitten name Jumpy. To this day she finds it difficult not to flinch at the first crack of thunder of a nasty storm, punch of a nail gun, or beat of a bass drum. Her Burden named her Soot.

She is one who appears suddenly in a leap and a bound, and who moves easily from one edged place to another. She is also stalker of dust motes and the perfect sunbeam.

She is clever in discovering things hidden in the house her Burden doesn't want her to find. (Concealed tissues in tissue boxes are but one example of this, or treats hidden in a cupboard, or even ash left undiscovered in the recesses of the fireplace.) Her Burden does not stay still and often goes into the wilderness where she must follow to keep him safe. While sometimes this leaves her damp of paw, it is a sacrifice she is willing to make.

Unlike many, she will come at his call - who knows what mischief and stupidity he will do otherwise?

#745281 Wed 08/10/14 15:19 UTC
I'll also note that all of Fate's rules can be found here: http://fate-srd.com/

It's an ennie-award winning site with some excellent formatting and features for working your way thru the rules. And it's the full text of the Fate Core and Fate Accelerated Edition.

The Ghoul #745297 Wed 08/10/14 17:08 UTC
Chaotic Obfuscator
OP Offline
Chaotic Obfuscator
Raven that works just great.

Thanks Ghoul for the link, that is a wonderful resource.

AJ Offline
Shadow-Of-The-Highest, Kitten-Named as 'Overeager', has always been an ambitious little brat pretty much since his eyes opened. His fur is ginger, mottled with stripes, with an odd white 'sock' of a different shape for each foot. His eyes are a brilliant emerald green when the light hits them, and a more envious, even invidious hue in the shadows.

He is brash and bold, always ready to contest even long-established ground, his hunting instincts as sharp as his claws. He has a lean and hungry look, but is not underfed: Indeed, he has the audacity to claim multiple burdens, a kindly old lady who offers food in the mornings to 'Tigger', and a rambunctuous young family who pay homage each evening to 'Fireball'.

He defends his territory with vigilance and violence: He might offer a warning if he's feeling generous. His relationships with neighbouring territorial claims is fractious at best: He is of an expansionist mindset and is allmost always willing to test the waters.

His love of the hunt has few equals, and he is most generous in his benefices of protection to those within his suzerainty.

AJ #745343 Wed 08/10/14 20:38 UTC
Chaotic Obfuscator
OP Offline
Chaotic Obfuscator
Nice. Going to be fun to compel him into trouble. wink

AJ Offline
Should be some tasty aspects to poke at. grin

AJ #745366 Wed 08/10/14 22:50 UTC
Chaotic Obfuscator
OP Offline
Chaotic Obfuscator
One complete char in. I am here to assist those who want or need more paws on.

R
Raven
Unregistered
Raven
Unregistered
R
<waves hand wildly> please

#745388 Wed 08/10/14 23:50 UTC
I'm working on it, but I'll almost certainly need help, Pandemonium.

I'm now leaning more toward Namer than Warder.

#745389 Wed 08/10/14 23:51 UTC
With luck, I'll have a character statted up for you tomorrow.

The Ghoul #745401 Thu 09/10/14 00:56 UTC
Chaotic Obfuscator
OP Offline
Chaotic Obfuscator
All sounds fine and PMs have been commented and answered. Looking great gang. Wayyyyy better than a herd of cats.

Seeker of Patterns
Seeker of Patterns
I'm probably not going to get a real start on a character sheet until this weekend. Hope that's okay. I'm w/o a doubt going to need some guidance -- this system is absolutely nothing like anything I've ever played!

Is the basic concept I put above okay?

Lady of Misrule
Chaotic Obfuscator
OP Offline
Chaotic Obfuscator
Absolutely ok, and yes the concept up above is a great way to start.

I am happy to help. The system really is pretty self explanatory in play. The character creation may seem daunting but it is pretty easy once we get talking and figure out what you want from your character in play.

Also as a note only to DJ to to anyone and everyone. If we figure out your character and in play you say "man this sucks, I made a few errors and would like to change X." The opportunity will be there. We are here to have fun. That is the whole point. So lets make the game what we want. I like the framework it is set in but I don't want it to hold us back from enjoying.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Pandemonium 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Talon475, Randal Trimmer, Kimf, Yvon, TennesseeBaron
177 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Member Spotlight
Miales
Miales
Conway, Ar
Forum Statistics
Forums103
Topics2,820
Posts140,323
Members177
Most Online296
Jan 19th, 2020
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
†Restricted forums can only be accessed by DreamLyrics members of the age of 18 years or older. Access which is granted by the Behind Closed Doors Procedure.
™DreamLyrics Play-by-Post. DreamLyrics Play-by-Post does not own copyright on DreamLyrics texts or graphics, except trademarked DreamLyrics logos and logotypes. The works contained in DreamLyrics are copyrighted (automatically, under the Berne Convention) by the original authors and may be available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence. (See Copyrights for details.)
Privacy Policy