Eye of the Dragon
DreamLyrics Play-by-Post
Who's Online Now
2 members (Miales, LaBerge), 12 guests, and 37 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Dice Roller
You will need to enable Javascript in order to view the Dice Roller.
Games Recruiting List

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 13 14
#743998 Wed 01/10/14 02:16 UTC
Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
DM

The torch spills light twenty feet around the torchbearer as the party begins to explore the dark cave. The passage has a steeply sloping ceiling that has created stactite-covered vaults rising twenty feet up. The sound of water in the cave is loud and you can tell that it would muffle noises. You wade through the shallow stream, only two feet deep. It is cold and slow moving making it easy to wade through.

Just inside the cave mouth, a few uneven stone steps lead up to a small, dank chamber on the east side of the passage. The cave narrows to a steep fissure at the far end and is filled with the stench of animals. Savage snarls an the sounds of rattling chains greet your ears where three wolves are chained up just inside the opening. Each wolf's chain leads to an iron rod driven into the base of a stalagmite.

Attached Images
crag2-1.jpg (102.85 KB, 247 downloads)
Last edited by Neptune; Sun 08/02/15 16:43 UTC. Reason: Changed the thread subject
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
[OOC what is the legend for the letters representing us? I think they are player initials with Nivek being a K as we already have Neil as an N.. but Dugan as a P seems to disprove my theory. :?]

Jaliera

She peers ahead into the darkness really only able to see those of their little group ahead of her. She focuses on treading carefully and keeping as quiet as she can. She hopes the other can't hear her heart beating loudly.

Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
[ooc: You are 100% correct - except that I fixed Dugan to now be represented by a "D". ]

-Nep
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
[OOC Thanks - saves my confused brain! grin ]

AJ Offline
Kriv

Quietly, at the sound of the wolves,

"The pests have pets. Recommend we kill them now whilst they're tied up, so they can't be used to block our withdrawal later."

He reached back for his bow, his eyes reflecting the flickering torchlight as he looked for any dissenting voices.

Karok

"I agree. Take them out. Watch the stream ahead in case we're heard." he said behind him to anyone not wielding a bow.

He stood ready, while he could use his throwing hammer, the bows the others wielded would serve them better here.

Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
[ooc: A clearer tactical map...]

Attached Images
crag2-1.jpg (95.38 KB, 229 downloads)

-Nep
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

She hears mention of using bows.

"Do you want me to come forward?"

She keeps her voice low.

AJ Offline
Kriv

He nodded, curtly. Quietly, he spells out,

"Karok, a little further down the passage, we'll rely upon your sight if the vermin come running. Jaliera. Kallista, we have work to do at range, three tethered wolves. I've seen you do well at a distance, let's reprise that. The rest of you, if you favor your bowmanship, join us, else keep a lookout, both on the path out and on guard if any of them break free before we kill them. Everyone understand?"

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Kalliasta

She nods, taking a position about where Karok and Kriv are standing now. She stands in the stream, allowing one of the better armoured types to move between her and the wolves, if as Kriv said, one of them manages to break free. As she waits for the others to get into position she looks around in all directions. Once all are ready, she strikes at the wolves.

Last edited by Zeim; Wed 01/10/14 21:38 UTC.
Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
I want to make sure that everyone has a chance to chime in before you act.

Administrator
Administrator
Davroar

He is visibly upset at hearing that they want to just kill the wolves. While he does not have the appropriate spell memorized for this situation, he can not just accept killing the wolves chained up as they are. They are after all just natures creatures, caged by the goblins. Unless they were raised up as pups under the goblins control, Davroar still has hope that the wilderness is their true home and not here.

"No, please. They're just wild animals. Chained animals, poorly treated no doubt by the goblins. Please if every backs off, let me try to release them safely."

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Kallista

She backs off and waits to see what Davroar has in mind.

Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Jaliera

She is moving up towards the front, still with sword in hand at present but she stops when she hears Davroar's plea. She likes the young druid and he is around her age so she is happy to support his idea.

"We could use torches to encourage them down the tunnel to the outside? I understand most beasts don't like fire."

She has some sympathy with them in that regard.

AJ Offline
Kriv

He stared impassively at the human, weighing up the merit and validity of his suggestion, wilfully sheared of their respective sentiments. After a few moments, he spake:

"Hmm. Your suggestion may be quicker, quieter and use less resources. You have your chance, but if they attack you, we will extirpate them at the first sound of pain you utter."

He gave the man of the wilds space in which to work, keeping his bow nocked and ready, but standing just out of sight around the opening of the side cave.

Karok

He didn't like it. An enemy at your rear or flank went against everything he knew. He didn't know these people and perhaps they had their own ways. He moved up the stream a ways so their light wouldn't affect his eyes and he moved to one side, trying be unnoticed if someone came from that direction.

Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline

OOC: Dugan, I'll let you do your thing with the wolves. They are chained up so that's one hurdle. They would also need to be pacified in some manner. What are you going to try and do? Spells? Skills?

Administrator
Administrator
Davroar

He will calmly step into view of the wolves and observe for a moment to determine which one is the alpha and how healthy they look.

If they look severely abused and malnourished he will abandon his plans and signal for the others to kill the wolves. Otherwise he will cast his Guidance cantrip to help approach the alpha wolf in safe way to release it from its chains.

If he has success with the alpha, the other two should be easier to deal with.

[ooc: Don't have the player handbook, just going by SRD wiki, but basically wants to 'push' the wolf if its untrained to back down, or if it is trained by the goblins to have it perform the trick of backing down. ]

Last edited by Dugan; Fri 03/10/14 05:13 UTC.
Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
DM

As Davroar tries to approach, the wolves attempt to lunge at him and bite him but are restrained by the chains. It looks like they need to be placated somewhat. He realizes that once released, the wolves will attack. They are not friendly. They haven't been starved or severely mistreated.

Note that you have a spell that's ideal for this situation that you should probably use. wink

Strike that. Give me a DC 15 Animal handling check. That's 1d20+5. +3 for wisdom, +2 for being proficient.

Last edited by Neptune; Fri 03/10/14 22:34 UTC.
Administrator
Administrator
[ooc: Davroar rolled a pathetic result of 9 ]

nem Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Chandan

He remains quiet, listening and watchful. He holds the torch, the wavering light which he and many of the others see by. And he guards their rear.

He carries out both duties with the utmost seriousness.

Neptune Offline OP
OP Offline
Dugan... which means you should probably resort to the spell....

-Nep
Administrator
Administrator
Can I use another spell?? I thought Druid's had to prepare spells just like a cleric or wizard. I had changed my prepared spells to having two cure wounds because of us being out-numbered. If this new D&D version allows me to change spells, then sure I will use animal friendship spell.

(Buffalo)
(Buffalo)
Dugan - It works differently than either of those ways. Lets say you get 2 1st level spells for the day. You don't specifically memorize 2 spells. What you do is pick 2 of your spells to be able to cast that day. Lets say Cure Wounds and Animal Friendship for example (don't have my books so guessing at the spell names). Then as the day goes along you get to decide which of those 2 spells you want to cast. You can cast 1 Cure Wounds and 1 Animal Friendship, OR 2 Cure Wounds, OR 2 Animal Friendships.

So the list you pick is what your options are for the day. You then decide how to spend your daily spells from among those options.

So, IOW, it never pays to memorize a single spell multiple times because you can always cast it multiple times anyway as long as you pick it once.

Does that make sense?

Last edited by Neptune; Sun 05/10/14 14:20 UTC. Reason: Just added color
Administrator
Administrator

Yes, that makes sense now. rolleyes

Thank you Zeim. You can tell I haven't played D&D for a while.

So if the GM will allow it, I will cast Animal Friendship spell.

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 13 14

Moderated by  Neptune, Zeim 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Talon475, Randal Trimmer, Kimf, Yvon, Xiang Chin
177 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Member Spotlight
Zeim
Zeim
Nashville, TN, USA
Forum Statistics
Forums103
Topics2,816
Posts139,469
Members177
Most Online296
Jan 19th, 2020
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
†Restricted forums can only be accessed by DreamLyrics members of the age of 18 years or older. Access which is granted by the Behind Closed Doors Procedure.
™DreamLyrics Play-by-Post. DreamLyrics Play-by-Post does not own copyright on DreamLyrics texts or graphics, except trademarked DreamLyrics logos and logotypes. The works contained in DreamLyrics are copyrighted (automatically, under the Berne Convention) by the original authors and may be available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence. (See Copyrights for details.)
Privacy Policy