Eye of the Dragon
DreamLyrics Play-by-Post
Who's Online Now
2 members (Miales, AJ), 9 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Dice Roller
You will need to enable Javascript in order to view the Dice Roller.
Games Recruiting List

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#714609 Wed 25/06/14 18:45 UTC
OP Offline
So, anyone reading Skin Game, the new Harry Dresden Novel? I'm a notoriously slow reader as I usually take my time with a book, but I've zipped through more than half of this in a couple of days. Good book so far!

I didn't enjoy it as much as the previous one, but it's still quite good. And manages a few interesting surprises before it's done.

Though I'm not sure a Leverage-style "reveal an important thing you didn't know" flashback works quite as well in a first person narrative like this. (You'll know it when you get to it.)

R
Raven
Unregistered
Raven
Unregistered
R
I enjoyed it. I'm not sure where I'd put it in my ranking of Dresden books.

#714681 Thu 26/06/14 01:23 UTC
OP Offline
Well, so far I like it better than Cold Days. Cold Days was a lot like Empire Strikes Back to me. Yeah, it did set a lot of things up and explain a lot of others, but it was kind of depressing and I've got to admit, I'm a happy ending guy. Yeah, it's a weakness.

Mayhem Inc.
Mayhem Inc.
I liked the book a lot. It felt more like the earlier books in the series that I really loved. The last two, Cold Days and Ghost Story I did not care for that much.

And I liked getting back to Michael and Charity and seeing a peek into what was going on with the Carpenter clan.

Jinkies!
Mina #716929 Tue 08/07/14 00:13 UTC
Babylon 5 Rules
Administrator
Babylon 5 Rules
Administrator
Oh good, I need to read this one next then. I prefer the earlier books as well Mina.

KenSeg #727309 Tue 05/08/14 00:43 UTC
Don Offline
Warning Spoiler in last paragragh...

I just finished reading Skin Game and I also, liked it a lot better than the last few. Less pontificating on the nature of good and evil, right and wrong, life and death and a lot more of Harry and the gang, which IMHO, is what these books should be about. The only ones I missed were Thomas and Toot, though both were mentioned.

I know that Butcher is probably aching to write 'something important' but the Dresden Files should be fun not literature! Again my opinion.

Personally I was beginning to think that he should just have ended the series with Changes but I'm certain, even if he wanted to, Butcher's publishers would refuse to let him off the hook at 12. Unlike my friend, who turned me on to the books in the first place and who bailed after the 'betrayal' of Side Jobs, I've stuck with the series and now there appears to be a glimmer of hope on the horizon.

SPOILER ALERT...SPOILER ALERT...SPOILER ALERT...SPOILER ALERT

I am firmly in Barry's camp as regards happy endings and I have to admit to getting a little verklempt when Butters pops the lightsaber, if I wanted a steady diet of doom and gloom I'd have stuck with Donaldson after The Wounded Land, but I couldn't and didn't.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Talon475, Randal Trimmer, Kimf, Yvon, Xiang Chin
177 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Member Spotlight
TennesseeMaiden
TennesseeMaiden
Tiptonville, TN
Forum Statistics
Forums103
Topics2,815
Posts139,447
Members177
Most Online296
Jan 19th, 2020
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
†Restricted forums can only be accessed by DreamLyrics members of the age of 18 years or older. Access which is granted by the Behind Closed Doors Procedure.
™DreamLyrics Play-by-Post. DreamLyrics Play-by-Post does not own copyright on DreamLyrics texts or graphics, except trademarked DreamLyrics logos and logotypes. The works contained in DreamLyrics are copyrighted (automatically, under the Berne Convention) by the original authors and may be available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence. (See Copyrights for details.)
Privacy Policy