Eye of the Dragon
DreamLyrics Play-by-Post
Who's Online Now
2 members (Alduin, Vryx), 2 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Dice Roller
You will need to enable Javascript in order to view the Dice Roller.
Games Recruiting List

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Nivek #472045 Tue 07/12/10 13:17 UTC
Nivek Offline OP
OP Offline
Yeah, I've been trying to get Scandinavia or Nordic Countries, which I heard are both good 2 players games. Scandinavia is out of print now.

Nivek #472071 Tue 07/12/10 18:39 UTC
R
Razorlip B.S.D
Unregistered
Razorlip B.S.D
Unregistered
R
BSG and ARKHAM are the only games on that list I'm familiar with, but I'd guarantee that

- ARKHAM will be longer than you'd expect, and possibly longer than you'd like, but interesting

- IF you ever do get BSG to the table, it will be awesome - it is indeed the crowned king of co-ops in all my playgroups, though SPACE ALERT is very good too, and SHADOWS OVER CAMELOT is pretty decent as well - fair amount of solo and 1-player potential with that last - the Traitor is cool, but the game is very challenging even without that element.

#472072 Tue 07/12/10 18:46 UTC
Nivek Offline OP
OP Offline
I have Shadows. Played it solo and enjoyed it. I hope to try that and BSG with family at Christmas. My nephews like trying new things. I think they'll love the idea of a cylon.

Nivek #472077 Tue 07/12/10 19:34 UTC
R
Razorlip B.S.D
Unregistered
Razorlip B.S.D
Unregistered
R
Oh yeah, and they should totally dig the awesome sub-game of false Cylon accusations - it's a major Cylon strategy to try and put the blame on an innocent, so there's generally at least one person pointing the finger - a little misunderstanding here or there, some retliatory "Oh you say I'm a Cylon, but look at what you just did..." and it becomes a free-for-all of paranoia and unwarranted suspicion all round...

-sigh-

Good times...

Last edited by Razorlip B.S.D; Tue 07/12/10 19:34 UTC.
#472078 Tue 07/12/10 19:39 UTC
Nivek Offline OP
OP Offline
Come down to KY and you can join us smile

Nivek #472081 Tue 07/12/10 22:07 UTC
R
Razorlip B.S.D
Unregistered
Razorlip B.S.D
Unregistered
R

I appreciate the offer but I
- Loathed air travel before 9/11
- can't really stand ANY trip where I have to sit for more than 2 hours
- have someone at the Columbia Law School Boardgames club who loves this game, so luckily I can get my fix with much less fuss.

But you'll dig it - just hope the Cylon turns out to be one of the leaders (President or Admiral) - then it gets really fun...

#472226 Thu 09/12/10 02:08 UTC
Nivek Offline OP
OP Offline
Got two more. Yeah, I'm addicted.

Got Thurn and Taxis and Carcassonne: The Castle for B-17.

Nivek #472251 Thu 09/12/10 11:08 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
Love Thurn & Taxis! The Castle is quite good too!

You are getting a great collection there! grin

Gypsy #472259 Thu 09/12/10 12:02 UTC
Nivek Offline OP
OP Offline
I'm working on it. I figure I should be able to find something for everyone.

Nivek #472339 Thu 09/12/10 22:39 UTC
R
Razorlip B.S.D
Unregistered
Razorlip B.S.D
Unregistered
R
Hey, as I mentioned I don't play a lot of solo stuff, BUT I have heard good things about

INGENIOUS - I mentioned this before and Ghoul concurred as to its excellence, but I don't think I mentioned it has excellent solo rules, so though it is an abstract, it really does scale perfectly with any number from 1-4.

AGRICOLA - A very solid, very popular Euro I personally don't get into, but I freely admit that's just because there's some aspect I just don't seem to have grasped and thus kind of always suck at it, BUT it too has solo rules which I hear are very good.

AT THE GATES OF LOYANG - Imperial China trading game from the designer of AGRICOLA; also has solo rules, supposedly as good as AGRICOLA.

SPACE HULK: DEATH ANGEL: THE CARD GAME - This is supposed to be a fairly decent card-based version of the GDW classic; definitely has solo rules, and BGG has posts from several people who admit they've played 7+ times, never won, and still think it's awesome, which make it sound a lot like

CHAINSAW WARRIOR - to my mind one of the greatest solo games ever made and well worth looking into; it's long out of print, but you have the trade bait for it...

Last edited by Razorlip B.S.D; Thu 09/12/10 22:40 UTC.
#472342 Thu 09/12/10 23:06 UTC
Nivek Offline OP
OP Offline
Agricola and Space Hulk(Angel of death) are on my Christmas list.

Not big on abstract type games so probably won't do Ingenious.

I keep looking at the gates of Loyang. Videos and reviews make it sound kind of boring. Not quite sure what to make of it. I think I'll wait on it. I certainly have enough to keep me busy.

Just received some of my trades and I'm excited to get into Arkham Horror and Dungeon Twister 2, both having all kinds of reviews lauding them for solo play. Gotta admit Dungeon Twister looks very very cool!

I'll look into Chainsaw Warrior. Never heard of it.

Last edited by Nivek; Thu 09/12/10 23:07 UTC.
Nivek #472345 Thu 09/12/10 23:16 UTC
R
Razorlip B.S.D
Unregistered
Razorlip B.S.D
Unregistered
R
My version: CHAINSAW WARRIOR is basically EVIL DEAD II: THE SOLO BOARDGAME; it's designed exclusively for solo play.

You're the titular character, a Schwartzenegger/Rambo-styled Spec Ops tough guy brought in to clear out a house taken over by demonic extradimensional thangs and defeat the main Demon, known only as "Darkness".

You choose an arsenal using a point-based system, then move through the house using/"moving thorugh" a deck of cards to represent various rooms smacking up stuff and trying to get far enough into it to find Darkness while you still have enough firepower to take him out.

GDW did a short-lived website converting the game into Flash right around the turn of the century. As a solo-only thing, replay isn't not exactly infinite but it was pretty decent for its time as I recall it; I wouldn't make a quest of it or pay a huge fortune, but it might be worth looking into.

EDIT: Okay, scratch that - it was fun, but not worth the 40-odd bucks USD they seem to want for it on BGG marketplace and things usually go for more than BGG marketplace prices anywhere else; it's fun for what it is but you'll get worn out long before you get that much fun out of it.

Last edited by Razorlip B.S.D; Thu 09/12/10 23:19 UTC.
#472777 Mon 13/12/10 22:52 UTC
R
Razorlip B.S.D
Unregistered
Razorlip B.S.D
Unregistered
R
Went to the regular game meetup in Midtown East and had a chance to try

7 WONDERS - Really good stuff; very engaging combination of card drafting, civ/building strategy and resource management with a touch of screw-your-neighbor; I can see why it's hot on BGG, esp. since it plays in well under an hour.

TRIBUNE - Didn't get to finish (had to leave early to catch an awesome Asian gangster flick, more on which in another thread); but it was an satisfyingly engaging mix of worker placement, auctions, special abilities bestowed by controlling this or that faction, and of course, my favorite element, screw-your-neighbor. Extra cool since you can choose a general game length by choosing which of several sets of victory condition cards you're trying to fulfill - choose one and it's about an hour, another for 90 minutes and a 3rd for a solid 2 hours-ish. Excellent interaction between players, well worth a look.

Last edited by Razorlip B.S.D; Mon 13/12/10 23:06 UTC.
#472841 Tue 14/12/10 12:21 UTC
RBSD> And 7 Wonders is the only major game I know of where a losing player can still by rule win a beer from the winning player (if using the 8th Wonder, distributed as a promo item).

But really, it's a great game and the necessity to play not only your own position (which you control) but also your two immediate neighbors (which you can influence by what cards you do or don't pass them) is rather unique. Recommended!

I've also been toying a bit with another new game, Famiglia. Sure, the mobster theme is familiar, but this is actually a tight little two-player card game, and it's a drafting game, albeit one without a personal deck. You use cards in your hand to recruit new cards for your hand, trying to maximize your score. There are a couple translation glitches in the rules (currently being discussed out at BGG), but it's a solid game even before they're smothed over.

The Ghoul #472951 Wed 15/12/10 18:31 UTC
Nivek Offline OP
OP Offline
Picked up Puerto Rico in a trade. Not sure I'll get the chance to play it with people at Christmas. Probably need to learn it well before I can teach it. From my first look through the rules and playing a few rounds the three I can't wait to try are Arkham Horror, Dungeon Twister 2 and Defenders of the Realm. The best part is I can play them solo. The solo rules for Dungeon Twister especially look really good. very clear rules on what the NPCs will do along with a simple mechanism for ramping up the difficulty.

Also read through Battlestar Galactica. Since Christmas will be the only time I will have 4++ gamers at my disposal, I'm going to have to see about getting them to try this one first. As I read this one last night, I couldn't help but think that we could probably play this one in a forum here. I'd think it would be easy enough with a moderator. If that person was going to play, you'd have to find a way to secretly hand out the loyalty cards.

Also picked up Cash n Guns. I think the family will love it. Only problem might be that there are only 6 guns.

I saw a post about good trick taking games. A couple that sounded interesting were Was Sticht? and Njet! both available in something called Mu and Lots More. I love good card games so I'll have to look into it. Hard to find it in stock somewhere. Another game mentioned was Tichu. Know anything about it?

I've been trading away my old games and I've got almost every game I want now and I still have oldies left. So if any of you are interested in my old ones, I'll happily gift them to a good home. There are a few that I'll hold onto because they're worth a lot and some like Warhammer Quest that are just too much of a pain to ship, but if something else interests you, let me know. BGG ID kerskine.

Last edited by Nivek; Wed 15/12/10 18:35 UTC.
Nivek #472953 Wed 15/12/10 19:37 UTC
R
Razorlip B.S.D
Unregistered
Razorlip B.S.D
Unregistered
R
CA$H n' GUNS has an expansion that bumps it up to 9, with 'extra' players getting a katana and 3 ninja stars (all foam, of course) - katanas can only be used on the player next to you on either side BUT can be used every round, I forget how stars work but it's some kind of one-shot ranged attack IIRC.

Last edited by Razorlip B.S.D; Wed 15/12/10 21:04 UTC.
#473004 Thu 16/12/10 13:00 UTC
Stars work by having you throw them at the other player's character standee. If you hit it, you wound them. The C&G expansion also explicitly adds the idea of team play, working in groups rather than just for yourself. It changes the dynamics of play considerably!

Mu and Lots More is a very good set of trick taking games all using the same deck. Some of the games are a bit tricky to wrap your head around, but well worth it. Good, but not as good as...

Tichu is the king of trick-taking games in the serious gamer community. But it's climbing trick-taking, which is rarely seen in English language games (Great Dalmuti being the best known exception). Climbing means the starting player plays a valid set (pair, three of a kind, straight of 5 or more, full house, two adjacent pairs) and others must play higher sets of the same form to win the trick or pass. The goal is to play all your cards out first and to capture the point-scoring cards. Calling Tichu (or, if you're confident after seeing only part of your initial hand, Grand Tichu) means you'll risk bonus points on your chance of being the first to go out. Also interesting are Bombs (claim a hand at any time with 4 of a kind or a straight flush, though you can sometimes be over-bombed) and the various special cards (phoenix, dragon, and dog). It tricky to learn initially, but worth the effort! I play Tichu on my iPhone quite a bit, and face to face when I can assemble 3 other players who know the game.

The Ghoul #473960 Wed 29/12/10 14:15 UTC
Nivek Offline OP
OP Offline
As expected, got a lot of games for Christmas (and some more trades).

Really enjoyed Pandemic, but my favorite cooperative that I got was Ghost Stories. Has a lot of strategical choices every turn and you can really feel the tension ramp up.

Got in a play of Puerto Rico which seemed to end far too quickly, but I can easily see why its so well loved.

Incan Gold was enjoyed, just like you guys told me. Cash n Guns was interesting. The first game was great and we all laughed and had fun and immediately played it again. The second time we had people whining about "not wanting to shoot people". Yeah because the orange foam guns look so real. Some people take things way too seriously. So it wasn't much fun. I guess I'll be very careful who I pull it out with.

Also got San Juan, Agricola, Space Hulk-Death Angel the the card game, Mr. Jack(trade), Jambo but haven't had a chance to play them yet. Most of these I can play 1 or 2 person so I saved them for when it was just back to probably me and my daughter.

I was bummed that I couldn't get anyone interested in trying Battlestar Gallactica.

Played a bunch of others as well which made this a fantastic Christmas for me with out of town family.

Nivek #474085 Fri 31/12/10 13:57 UTC
I haven't gotten people to join me to play Ghost Stories yet, but it certainly looks like one of the more engaged cooperatives. And has a rep as one of the more difficult (if not quite Witch of Salem).

Don't slight Agricola based on a first play using the basic "family" game because that form leaves out much of the heart of the game (the cards).

The Ghoul #474086 Fri 31/12/10 14:13 UTC
Nivek Offline OP
OP Offline
Oh don't get me wrong. I like the look of all the games I haven't had a chance to play. I just concentrated on the ones I knew I'd need 3+ to play since I had a captive audience. I'll get to them and I read through Agricola and it looks great to me. I'll play it solo if nothing else.

Nivek #474206 Sat 01/01/11 22:08 UTC
R
Razorlip B.S.D
Unregistered
Razorlip B.S.D
Unregistered
R
Very nice to hear how some of these are going over (or not, as the case may be - major bummer on BSG - if you have trouble floating a table bigger than 4 this was the one to try and get going when you can, but it goes that way sometimes...).

If INCAN GOLD was a hit, you should strongly consider getting some edition of Legendary Boardgame Immortal CAN'T STOP - it's got the same kind of addictive, Game Show-style 'press your luck until you blow it or don't' mechanics and is similarly short in length and fast-paced, but WARNING: Like INCAN GOLD and CA$H n' GUNS, the short length and high fun factor can lead to addiction and burnout.

Last edited by Razorlip B.S.D; Sat 01/01/11 22:11 UTC.
#474420 Tue 04/01/11 19:39 UTC
A
Online Content
A
Wow - wish I had seen this thread earlier - brings back memories of writing up board games for DreamScribe

Just some of my comments on some of the games:
re Incan Gold vs Can't Stop -- I love can't stop, but I think Incan Gold is superior, because of the aspect of having to predict what other people will do.
For that reason, I'd throw in Hoity Toity/By Hook or By Crook/Adel Verpflichtet as another short (45 minute) game. Often though of as being Rock/Paper/Scissors on crack because you always want to try and outguess what your opponents are going to do.

Agricola - I'm not a fan of the game myself. Probably better with the removal of about a dozen or so cards that just break the game. I've gotten to the point that with equally skilled players, I can look at the starting hands, and know the top two finishers at least. The cards make that much difference. I don't like spending two hours to play a game that is that predictable.

BSG -- Definitely the king of co-ops at the moment. Arkham seems to run a close second. BSG is in my mind what Shadows over Camelot should be. Shadows is just 'too easy' because there isn't always a traitor, and there is only one of them. BSG balances the number of 'traitors' based on the number of players, making it, to me, superior.

Puerto Rico is always a classic - and if you like that kind of game with limited randomness - I'd also suggest Caylus.

I'll argue Tichu as king of trick taking games - with my group it's still Mu - but it depends on # of players. Tichu is 4 player, Mu is best at 5 or 6.

Ingenious - an absolutely brilliantly simple abstract. Not normally a fan of abstracts, but this one I enjoy a lot.

Tribune - I personally like this one, although most of my group is not a fan, so I don't get to play often.

And now some additions of my own.
Through The Ages -- to my mind, the best 'civilization building' game out there. It's commonly referred to as "Civ The Computer Game as a board game" - much better than the earlier version of that (and I haven't seen the new version to describe). Its very playable from 2 to 4 players, plays differently with each number.
I still love classic Civ/Advanced Civ - but that's not really like the 'computer game'.

Scepter of Zavandor -- one of my favorite auction games. Re-theme of a long out of print game Outpost. and then later redone again as Phoenicia (which simplified things, improved a few things, but introduced a few more flaws to my way of thinking). All about building up your own economy to be able to buy more at auction.

Kingsburg - a fun game of resource management. To my mind gets a little repetitive as the base game, but the expansion adds so much variation to the game that I love it! Increases replayability tremendously.

I may have to come in and add a few more notes after I get to play some of my christmas presents smile

-- C'ur A'lduin
Alduin #474425 Tue 04/01/11 20:07 UTC
Nivek Offline OP
OP Offline
Still looking to get Tichu and Mu. No luck so far.

I prefer Arkham and Camelot to BSG so far, for no other reason than I can play them solo. Can't really do that with BSG.

So far I love Agricola, but I just played twice with the family game so no cards. Next time we'll graduate to the E cards.

I got Through the Ages in a trade. Still need to learn it and then get someone to play. Time will be a factor against it.

Kingsburg and expansion are on the way, just got them in a trade. Looking forward to it.

I got Caylus Magna Carta. If people like that, I'll get Caylus.

Nivek #474660 Thu 06/01/11 20:31 UTC
Nivek Offline OP
OP Offline
Some really nice people in this world! I traded some games to a guy who asked me if he could pay me in January since he was a bit short. It didn't matter to me so I sent them on the way. Well the Christmas spirit hit me and I wrote the guy back and said that he could just have the games. I wasn't playing them and I felt like doing something nice. He was very grateful and thanked me and I felt good about my good deed (practicing for BWG wink ). Anyways, yesterday I got a package that I wasn't expecting. I open it it up and the guy had sent me Thunderstone, Stone Age and an expansion for Agricola. I couldn't believe it.

So Pam and AJ if you're reading this, change your evil ways in BWG. It pays to be good!!

Nivek #474692 Thu 06/01/11 22:06 UTC
R
Razorlip B.S.D
Unregistered
Razorlip B.S.D
Unregistered
R
Wow! That's awesome!! very interested to hear your thoughts on STONE AGE and THUNDERSTONE - the latter left me cold, and I'm really on the fence on the former - I like it overall but the victory/scoring mechanics are little byzantine, and supposedly the strategy of 'starving' everyone is unbeatable, but I've never tired or had anyone try it in a game I was in...

Last edited by Razorlip B.S.D; Thu 06/01/11 22:07 UTC.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Talon475, Randal Trimmer, Kimf, Yvon, Xiang Chin
177 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Member Spotlight
Forum Statistics
Forums102
Topics2,799
Posts139,086
Members177
Most Online296
Jan 19th, 2020
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
†Restricted forums can only be accessed by DreamLyrics members of the age of 18 years or older. Access which is granted by the Behind Closed Doors Procedure.
™DreamLyrics Play-by-Post. DreamLyrics Play-by-Post does not own copyright on DreamLyrics texts or graphics, except trademarked DreamLyrics logos and logotypes. The works contained in DreamLyrics are copyrighted (automatically, under the Berne Convention) by the original authors and may be available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence. (See Copyrights for details.)
Privacy Policy