Eye of the Dragon
DreamLyrics Play-by-Post
Who's Online Now
1 members (Miales), 7 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Dice Roller
You will need to enable Javascript in order to view the Dice Roller.
Games Recruiting List

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#469573 Fri 12/11/10 23:01 UTC
kittens
kittens
I agree with Googleshng here... The Massive vs. the Masses is a great game, and I'm not just saying that because I did all the artwork for it and want it to do well. wink

Silkenray #469607 Sat 13/11/10 03:30 UTC
AJ Offline
Adding my voice for MVM also. It's pretty fun: Essentially stomp Tokyo the board game.

AJ #470010 Wed 17/11/10 19:09 UTC
Nivek Offline OP
OP Offline
Anyone ever play Kingsburg or the new Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game (2010)?

Nivek #470024 Wed 17/11/10 19:55 UTC
R
Razorlip B.S.D
Unregistered
Razorlip B.S.D
Unregistered
R

No, and KINGSBURG has been on my list for awhile, I've heard very good things about it...

I have tried TICKET TO RIDE: THE DICE EXPANSION, and even though I've done demo stuff for Days of Wonder along with Terror Bull and Eagle, I'd still recommend a pass - it tries to use dice instead of the route cards, but it just makes things more fiddly without adding anything, and the original rules didn't allow any way to claim a route with more than 6 spaces, meaning you couldn't/can't use them for TTR: EUROPE...

#470308 Sun 21/11/10 02:48 UTC
R
Razorlip B.S.D
Unregistered
Razorlip B.S.D
Unregistered
R

I'd also endorse the DOMINION expansions thusly - you'll want SEASIDE 1st, then PROPSERITY, then maybe INTRIGUE.

INTRIGUE is a nice set that livens up the game by adding a number of very competitive, cutthroat, 'screw-all-the-other-players' Attack cards that can really jam you up; I'd expect it would be extra hell in 2 player games.

SEASIDE is almost the opposite - it's not all sunshine and peace, but it does introduce cards that allow you build yourself up without screwing everyone else.

PROSPERITY blows up the money side of the game, introducing 5-value Platinum cards for 9, as well as other elements that greatly increase your potential gold total - it's very cool but it takes time to get into; SEASIDE is very easy to figure out and play.

I haven't played ALCHEMY yet, but I've heard it's interesting; it also has half as many new cards as all the other expansions.

#470310 Sun 21/11/10 03:18 UTC
Nivek Offline OP
OP Offline
I've been watching video reviews of games on BGG and Battelstar Galactica looked interesting, but I know my chances of getting 5 players was slim and none.

I'll play Dominion some more before I get expansions. In my current situation, I think I need to get some games that play well solo since that's going to be my best bet often.

Arkham Horror sounded like it was reasonable solo. Same for Pandemic. Ever try any of them? This was why I wanted Thunderstone.

Any recommendations for solo?

Nivek #470348 Sun 21/11/10 21:39 UTC
R
Razorlip B.S.D
Unregistered
Razorlip B.S.D
Unregistered
R

I'll have to think about it, but NYC has had a massive explosion of boardgaming groups so I've mostly had enough opponents to get into multiplayers mostly.

#470374 Mon 22/11/10 02:59 UTC
There are a lot of seemingly great games mentioned in this thread, a number of which I'd like to try out (if I can convince my wife to also try them out with me, of course). I'm not sure where to find them -- are there good places online that I can order them from (note that I'm in Canada so places that serve Canada with minimal shipping charges are ideal).

Thanks for a great thread.

-D

Denis #470844 Fri 26/11/10 22:29 UTC
R
Razorlip B.S.D
Unregistered
Razorlip B.S.D
Unregistered
R
Well there's nothing we boardgame nerds like more than offering some knowledge - I suspect deep down, we all know how generally useless it is, so any opportunity to get some value out of it is nice.

But from what I can see, most of us were responding to Nivek's specific preferences - low to medium weight multiplayer games that also offer strong player play; there's tons of games that don't fit those parameters, so you and anyone else should feel free to shout out if you have any other types you'd be interested in going over.

Like me, now - Fantasy Flight's giving away some serious "big box" games at lowlow prices for the holidays, and I was considering TRIBUNE, WARRIOR KNIGHTS, and maybe WORLD OF WARCRAFT ADVENTURE GAME, but suspect WOW: Adventure is mostly okay but nothing special aside from the bits and WARRIOR KNIGHTS will be another seriously complicated big box that will sit on my shelf and get little play - anyone want to convince me otherwise OR that I[m right and either are still worth it before I just order TRIBUNE for 15 bucks, and as a follow-up is/are the TRIBUNE and/or WARRIOR KNIGHTS expansions really worth it for another 10 USD each??

Last edited by Razorlip B.S.D; Fri 26/11/10 22:30 UTC.
#471382 Wed 01/12/10 13:00 UTC
Last week was a gathering of friends for lots of board gaming, so I can report a few things...

Kingsburg and the new Civilization both failed to make it to the table last week, amidst many other games getting much play. The former was just because it never quite made the cut, the later because of fiddly-looking FFG rules I didn't feel like mastering enough to teach.

The big hit of the weekend was the deck-building game Ascension, a game like Dominion or Thunderstone but with a more dynamic way of making cards available. A master-deck is shuffled and 6 cards are laid out. Those cards can be recruited (if heroes or constructs) or attacked (if monsters), after which the space is re-filled with another random card. Thus, your strategy must constantly evolve to reflect the current available options. Actual card play is simpler than either other deck-builder, with only a few card combos of any significance, but since it's mostly luck that would let you get a combo assembled, that's OK. Came out of the week better-considered than Thunderstone, if still behind Dominion.

Small World also proved popular with new players, and the function of several of the expansions' races and powers proved to add to the fun considerably (I'd played mostly just the base game in the past).

And Razor, if your three, Tribune is the most modern euro-like. Warrior Knights is a very good update of the GW original, but it's still a long, old-style game at heart with all the familiar FFG fancy bits and fiddly rules. With or without expansion, I'd recommend it only for those with a regular and known-to-be-FFG-friendly game table.

The Ghoul #471422 Wed 01/12/10 16:39 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
We've just started with Small World and I have a few expansions on my Xmas list. I would be happy to take recommendations on which seem to work the best! grin

Gypsy #471451 Wed 01/12/10 20:29 UTC
R
Razorlip B.S.D
Unregistered
Razorlip B.S.D
Unregistered
R
Ghoul, you %^!$#$@%$ - I just played ASCENSION for the 1st time this past Sunday - I'm with you all the way - liked it much more than THUNDERSTONE but not sure I'd put it up with DOMINION yet - interested enough to check pricing and see if they had any expansions yet.

I did get Tribune but not WARRIOR KNIGHTS - IF my Xmas bonus is much larger than I think it'll be
(I'm currently expecting, well - zippity-doo-dah, zippity-aayy)
I may reconsider, but I've seen some other great bargains I want to get in on (a copy of ENDEAVOR for 24.75 + shipping, LEONARDO DA VINCI for $9.00+shipping, OLTRE MARE for $8.00+shipping, BRIDGES OF SHANGRI-LA for 7.75 + 6.50 shipping, CUBA and ASCENION both seem to be around $30.00 + shipping - not as good as those other deals, but still pretty good), I'll likely pass in favor of those.

Gypsy, I've played SMALL WORLD but haven't tried any of the expansions yet - I'm interested in feedback on them as well.

Last edited by Razorlip B.S.D; Wed 01/12/10 22:53 UTC.
#471492 Wed 01/12/10 23:03 UTC
Nivek Offline OP
OP Offline
Reading BGG, it sounds like people either love or hate Ascension. Does Thunderstone get any better with expansions? I don't know why, but it looks cool to me <shrug>. Are any of the three better solo than the others(Since that's how I'll be playing most of the time)? (Dominion, Ascension, Thunderstone).

Nivek #471509 Thu 02/12/10 06:05 UTC
Administrator
Administrator
SMALL WORLD expansions that I've played with:

Cursed! and Grand Dames add interesting variety.

Tales and Legends makes things random. (Imagine seeing during turn 3 that the game will spend turn 4 with a certain type of terrain worth extra coins or unconquerable or something.)

Argus #471523 Thu 02/12/10 12:12 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
I think Grand Dames is one on my list! smile

Gypsy #471531 Thu 02/12/10 12:44 UTC
Cursed! adds the idea of a race/power with drawbacks rather than advanatages, which make for interesting play challenges. Kobolds who must stack 2 per space rather than the usual 1, for example. Of course, thanks to their drawback, they get an unusually high number of counters. The powers are also interesting, including the titular Cursed! (no effect in play but costs 3 rather than 1 to skip over) and Were (bonus to combat at night, which is to say even turns) and the frightening "Hordes Of..." that gives you a total of 7 tokens from your power (two more than the usual maximum).

Grand Dames adds three very nice races, the White Ladies who are immune to conquest and powers once in decline, the Priestesses who assemble in an "ivory tower" when they go into decline (that is, gather into one space rather than remaining spread out) and the Gypsies who get bonus points for abandoning territories each turn (so sweep around the map turn after turn).

Tales and Legends does a decent job of adding random events without making the game unplayable. It does so by letting you see the card coming up next turn earlier, so you have time to plan. But it's still pretty random, and I'm not 100% sure I like using it.

Be Not Afraid is the newest set, which adds some odd new races like Homonculi (gain one additional token every time they're passed over for another race), Pigmies (who can gain tokens when attacked), and Barbarians (who get lots of tokens, but can't rearrange at the end of each turn). New powers include Corrupt (you must pay to attack them) and Imperial (get even more points than usual for a large empire). Also this set comes with a box that can store all the pieces from all the expansions to date.

Necromancer Island is a promo that currently comes with Be Not Afraid. It adds an additional player who works from the lake in the middle of the map (there's always a lake on the map). This player gains power as tokens are killed, and can use that power to buy more tokens or to buy more powers for his tokens. Other players have to supress their normal desire to crush their enemies or the Necromancer will sweep over everyone.

Leaders adds a single Leader token to each race, which you have to buy when you introduce the race to play. In addition to being an extra token, though, the leader is vulnerable to capture, which can be costly. It was made available thru BoardGameGeek rather than stores, and so isn't included in the storage space in Be Not Afraid (though it can be made to fit with a little work).

I like all three race expansions (Dames, Cursed, and Afraid) if not every item in them, am more ambivolent about Tales and Leaders, and haven't yet tried the Island.

As to Thunderstone, I think the expansion helps (if only by expanding the variety of the game), but I still find it a less satisfying game than the others. The absolute divorce of Town turns from Dungeon turns results in an overly simplistic feel to the strategy and there remains a lack of reasons to go to the dungeon without a 100% chance of winning except in very rare cases. Also, I think AEG did their typical terrible job of the practicals of game production, printing the cards too dark (the art loses detail) and designing the card information in a total bland and non-intuitive layout (I printed out a "what goes where" cue sheet to help). And why produce a "store the whole game in the new box" expansion to fit all the cards (necessary because the original box was TERRIBLE for storage, something Dominion did VERY well) but make it slightly too small to fit the original rulebook? A smarter effort in the production phase would have made the game more a joy to play and less a chore.

The Ghoul #471946 Mon 06/12/10 17:17 UTC
R
Razorlip B.S.D
Unregistered
Razorlip B.S.D
Unregistered
R
Nivek/All,

Had some boardgame events this weekend, so I had to play

SID MEIER'S CIVILIZATION - the new FFG verison - I played one and one quarter game. Very nice with a big 'epic' feel, BUT from the games I played, I have some qualms about the "Many paths to victory" advertised - there certainly are 4 different ways to win (Military, Tech, Cultural, or Gold(Economic) Superiority), but it felt a lot to me like

- the way I listed them is from most to least viable
- anyone who goes after a less-viable Victory will be open to assault by someone going for a more viable Victory (even a Tech victory will lead you to enough Military advantage to crush someone constantly putting their City resources towards Culture or Gold advancement)

but aside from that, it's awesome.

TROYSE - An acquaintence from my gatherings through meetup.com who's into the latest Euros not generally here in the states had this. it's an interesting Caylus-like deal using dice groupings and worker placement - each worker gets you a die in either Military, Church, or Economic areas, and the results of the rolls are used to fuel various actions (trading money for influence, influence for victory points, etc.) it's a little much to get into, and while I was interested overall, I admit it wasn't until the end of the game that i felt i had really gotten a grasp of how to do things.

COSMIC ENCOUNTER - Obviously not quite new, but it was the latest rerelease by FFG, and a very nice version it is - they've renamed and reworded a few things to make it a little easier to grasp and step out, Alien Powers are now color coded Red, Yellow Green by power level and complexity (Red - supercomplex/powerful, Green not so much), and they've put in some of the best additions from over the years and added in a few new touches, but AIA, this is mostly the same as it ever was - solid, fast-paced fun that's never ever quite the same game twice.

Last edited by Razorlip B.S.D; Mon 06/12/10 17:22 UTC.
#471953 Mon 06/12/10 18:28 UTC
Nivek Offline OP
OP Offline
It's funny you said that about Civ. I read a few posts lately that people were saying Tech was the easiest. So maybe your comments make me believe that it's far more balanced than people suggest. Could also depend greatly on what others want to do and what nations start the game.

Troyes looks fascinating to me, definitely on my list of wants.

I have what might be the original Cosmic Encounter. Cardboard pieces that don't stack and all that. Huge box very little inside it. Never played it. Someday.

For you and anyone else, I want to trade/sell a lot of my old games (mostly AH stuff) for newer stuff that I can play with daughters and wife so if anyone is even remotely interested, let me know and I can get you a list. If you use Boardgamegeek.com then you can see them listed under my userid kerskine.

I can't wait for Christmas when 12 people invade our house for almost a week where we can play lots of games smile

Nivek #471972 Mon 06/12/10 19:40 UTC
R
Razorlip B.S.D
Unregistered
Razorlip B.S.D
Unregistered
R

That is interesting - I so do not see tech as easiest, but it's spot-on that others' strategies and which civs come up would change things - some civilizations have major advantages in Tech development, and how combative others are being would be an issue - the more time you have to not worry about military advancements and put resources towards other aspects, the easier they become.

I see your trade list but not prices - I'd strongly suggest you check pricing on amazon, ebay and BGG 'cuz you got quite a few rarities people should pay big dough for - esp. that copy of AH's DUNE - wouldn't mind that myself, but it's totally worth far more than I'd have on it...

#471974 Mon 06/12/10 20:00 UTC
Nivek Offline OP
OP Offline
Yeah I've seen that. Seems Dune, Gunslinger, Up Front are worth a lot. The biggest one is Warhammer Quest, I've seen prices around $300+ for what I have. That's astounding. One that surprises me is Borderlands. It's a scrawny little game on a paper map and people are asking $60 or so on ebay. For most of them (with possible exception of Dune, Up Front and Warhammer), I'll probably just trade them straight up for current games. I'd rather make someone else happy and get a game I'll actually play.

Nivek #471975 Mon 06/12/10 20:08 UTC
R
Razorlip B.S.D
Unregistered
Razorlip B.S.D
Unregistered
R
Yeah, I knew I'd heard WARHAMMER QUEST and HEROQUEST sold for big dough, didn't know about BORDERLANDS, but I'm not surprised - some people are just nuts about the old classics.

Be sure you get a good deal - obviously, people should be able to offer some really new hot stuff for them - like I said, I'd love that copy of AH's DUNE, but I know I couldn't offer anything like what it's worth.

Last edited by Razorlip B.S.D; Mon 06/12/10 20:26 UTC.
#472039 Tue 07/12/10 12:37 UTC
Nivek Offline OP
OP Offline
My name is Nivek and I'm a Board game shopaholic. weg

I'm getting into this whole trading thing big time. Now I just need to get the family hooked.

Just picked up in trades:
Arkham Horror
BattleStar Gallactica
Defenders of the Realm
Race for the Galaxy
Dungeon Twister 2
Mr. Jack
Caylus Magna Carta
Carcassonne: Hunters & Gatherers

Then I see a new Math trade opening up and I got 3 people interested in Dune. I can't stop myself!

Nivek #472042 Tue 07/12/10 13:03 UTC
Wizop
Administrator
Wizop
Administrator
I love board games. Martin and I play several times a week, mostly Ticket to Ride Scandinavia (2 to 3 players) which we have renamed Norkopping! (One of the destinations) grin It is a well balanced game for 2, although we have modified the 2 player rule about not utilising both tracks. Takes the frustration out of the game and makes it so enjoyable we sometimes play 2 or 3 times a day in those rare free weekend days!! grin

Takes about 30 mins for 2 experienced players!

Nivek #472043 Tue 07/12/10 13:05 UTC
Borderlands is popular because it's got a rep as a far better game than it is. Which isn't to say it's not good, just that it isn't as good as its rep. Eon's whole line (Cosmic, Borderlands, Quirks, Darkover, and Hoax, and also Dune which the Eon folk designed by AH published) all have quite a bit of rep because of how good they were relative to their generation, not how good they are relative to today's options. IMO, CE and Dune live up to their reps, Borderlands and Quirks are close (good, not quite as good as some people think.. and I know, I rate Quirks VERY highly on BGG, but that's more because I haven't revised ratings in a long time), and the other two are surpased by current options.

Now, Up Front is a game WOTC should get off their butts and reprint. An amazingly good squad level, single-man detail WWII game that uses VERY detailed cardplay to replicate the fog of war better than almost any other example of the genre. And it contains a LOT of under-used design space for fidling and expansion.

re: your trades...

Arkham Horror> too long and fiddly for most casual players, but a great game. Great fun if you can get a group to play it semi-regularly so the fiddly bits get mastered and smoothed away.

Galactica> the reigning king of the cooperatives with traitors roost. Very fun, if trust-straining.

Defenders> Fantasy-themed Pandemic is an oversimplification. The questing-for-rewards sub-system adds nice quest fiction touches, for one.

Race> Once you master the icon language and start learning how to "leech" actions you want from other player's choices, this is a great game. But truly casual players will find themselves flailing to create an effective "engine".

DT2> DT is a brain-burning competitive puzzle game, where two teams of adventurers race across an ever-changing (via rotation of tiles) dungeon. Strictly limited resources and unknown but non-random factors make for a very competitive game!

Mr. Jack> Great two-player deduction game. One player knows which character is Jack the Ripper and is trying to maneuver things so he can escape, the other doesn't know but is trying to find out. Clever use of deception to avoid being found out to early is crucial.

Caylus Magna Carta> a nice simplification of the significantly heavier board game into a card format. Still quite a bit of game here.

Carc: H&G> An early alternate form that took several of the alternate scoring mechanisms from the early Carc expansions and turned them into the ONLY scoring mechanisms for this game. Better, IMO, than piling on too many options within one game.

The Ghoul #472044 Tue 07/12/10 13:15 UTC
Nivek Offline OP
OP Offline
Arkham, Defenders, Race (once I get Gathering storm) and DT2 are all games I got, so that I could play them solo primarily and hopefully snare others. Battlestar may very well never get played. We'll see.

carc was for my wife, she loves those games. Mr. Jack and Caylus are for my youngest who is much more competitive than my wife.

As far as those eon games, I have them all. I just traded Borderlands for the Carc and Caylus games. I'll play both far more than I ever would have traded that. I know I probably could have gotten more for it, it even had the 1st expansion, but it's something for nothing in my mind.

Dune is the sandworm AH version. Had a few interested already. With the Christmas list I gave the kids, I'm running out of games I want that I didn't just get or ask for as a present. So I really better wait and see before I trade that one.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Talon475, Randal Trimmer, Kimf, Yvon, Xiang Chin
177 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Member Spotlight
Zeim
Zeim
Nashville, TN, USA
Forum Statistics
Forums102
Topics2,799
Posts139,088
Members177
Most Online296
Jan 19th, 2020
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
†Restricted forums can only be accessed by DreamLyrics members of the age of 18 years or older. Access which is granted by the Behind Closed Doors Procedure.
™DreamLyrics Play-by-Post. DreamLyrics Play-by-Post does not own copyright on DreamLyrics texts or graphics, except trademarked DreamLyrics logos and logotypes. The works contained in DreamLyrics are copyrighted (automatically, under the Berne Convention) by the original authors and may be available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence. (See Copyrights for details.)
Privacy Policy