Eye of the Dragon
DreamLyrics Play-by-Post
Who's Online Now
1 members (Miales), 11 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Dice Roller
You will need to enable Javascript in order to view the Dice Roller.
Games Recruiting List

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
M
I have a hard time picturing a group "all meeting in a tavern" and "going off to fight goblins."

That is =EXACTLY= why I like FRP (and DL <g>). Anything I can imagine!! I get enough of 'real life' in 'real life'. I don't need that in my 'fun time' as well!!!

But it =does= 'take all kinds' <vbg> I mean ... look at how many categories we have for games here!

MikeD
nem Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Fair point, Vryx. smile Though tbh they're just some standard races rebadged imo. The Vata are elves, the Sea-folk are aquatic elves and the Night People are half-orcs.

[Linked Image from 1.bp.blogspot.com]

Being able to play a human-intelligence animal is pretty cool, though standard D&D druid class kind of allows that too.

I guess I'm just an old cynic! wink

M
M
Well ... I will confirm the 'old' part <gd&r lmao>

MikeD
Nem, now that I've seen the art, I am more in agreement with your first assessment. Except for the animals, the imagery makes them seem even less varied.

MikeD, right. No problem with regular sword and sorcery from me. I was just imagining that this system is less straightforward conflict/resolution arc.

Argus Offline OP
Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
The Wikipedia article describes that setting as inspired by the writings of Mercedes Lackey and Diane Duane rather than Robert E. Howard.

nem Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Thanks Argus. I think Vryx is right and they're distinguishing their setting very subtly. More of an artistic, stylistic preference if you will.

Word on Monsters of the Multiverse for those of us who play D&D. The book makes MAJOR changes to monsters and races. It's almost D&D v5.5

-Nep
nem Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Well I guess Tasha's Cauldron already made playable races quite customisable. Maybe Wizards are having a mid-version shake-up.

Argus Offline OP
Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
July

Cubicle 7
Warhammer Age of Sigmar: Soulbound Bestiary
Warhammer Age of Sigmar: Soulbound - Shadows in the Mist
Warhammer Fantasy: Ubersreik Adventures II

Mongoose Publishing
Core Adventure 3: Errant Lightning
2300AD: Aerospace Engineer’s Handbook

Paizo Publishing
Pathfinder: Dark Archive HC
Starfinder Flip-Mat: Star Knight Starships
Pathfinder Adventure Path: Blood Lords Part 1 - Zombie Feast
Pathfinder: Age of Lost Omens World Guide Special Edition HC
Pathfinder Flip-Mat Classics: Theater
Starfinder RPG: The Pact Worlds Pocket Edition
Starfinder Adventure: Redshift Rally
Starfinder Adventure: Skitter Warp
Pathfinder Adventure: A Fistful of Flowers

Renegade Game Studios
Hunter the Reckoning RPG: Core Rulebook HC
Vampire the Masquerade RPG: Cults of the Blood Gods Sourcebook

Wizards of the Coast
Journeys Through the Radiant Citadel
Campaign Case: Creatures
Campaign Case: Terrain

My son and I had a couple nice trips to stores on Free RPG day. Some fun-looking ideas for one-offs. The Pathfinder was playing a group of leshys: a gourd-headed druid, a dandelion-headed duelist, a snapdragon barbarian, and a mushroom rogue. Also among a bunch of short indie rules, a guide to playing an adventure with familiars. I'd done a one-off adventure once in a long campaign where all the animal companions had to work together to save the regular party. He got a anthropomorphic rabbit warrior (not Usagi Yojimbo) mini with a paint kit. I also got some more Warhammer 4E stuff on sale. They really make some quality stuff at Cubicle 7.

Anyone else make it out?

Argus Offline OP
Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
Originally Posted by Vryx
... where all the animal companions had to work together to save the regular party.
I've started to see TV commercials for an animated movie at the end of July with a plot like that (starring Dwayne Johnson and Kevin Hart).

nem Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
There are very few tabletop gaming shops left on UK high streets tbh, so I think Free RPG Day was more of an online event.

The nominees for 2022 ENNIE Awards can't be too far off. That usually gets me shopping around for new products.

Talking of new products, I am very surprised to see a new edition of Hunter the Reckoning. I'd have thought there was no market for that game any more, given how many great monster hunting games there are now. Monster of the Week and Gila's Slayers are two that I've looked at recently, and MotW especially does everything Hunter does but better imo.

Interesting that Renegade Studios didn't follow up Vampire the Masquerade with a new ed of Werewolf the Apocalypse, opting instead for Hunter.

Argus Offline OP
Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
August

Paizo Publishing
Pathfinder Book of the Dead Battle Cards
Pathfinder Flip-Tiles: Villain Lairs Set
Starfinder Adventure Path: Drift Crashers Part 2 - Nightmare Scenario
Pathfinder Adventure Path: Blood Lords Part 2 - Graveclaw
Pathfinder Lost Omens: Character Guide Special Edition
Pathfinder Lost Omens: Travel Guide
Book of Ebon Tides (5e)
Book of Ebon Tides 7-dice set
Tales from the Shadows (5e)
Starfinder RPG: Armory Pocket Edition

Wizards of the Coast
Spelljammer: Adventures in Space
Dragons of Stormwreck Isle Starter Set

nem Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
A new starter set for D&D and curiously the pre-gen characters are from the Eighties cartoon series. huh Not sure where they're heading with that.

And whilst Hasbro are kindling nostalgia with the new starter set, they're also starting anew with their new film franchise; trailer just released:

Wizop
Administrator
Online Content
Wizop
Administrator
Nice! I'll be watching it at some point! grin

Argus Offline OP
Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
September

Imagining Games
Infected! Zombie RPG HC
Rest in Pieces RPG

Japanime Games
Anime 5E RPG Core Rulebook

Paizo Publishing
Pathfinder Flip-Mat: Planar Tavern
Starfinder Flip-Mat: Space Station Promenade
Pathfinder Adventure Path: Blood Lords Part 3 - Field of Maidens
Pathfinder Lost Omens: Gods & Magic Special Edition
Starfinder Alien Archive 2 Pocket Edition

nem Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Gawd, Anime RPG, that's an awfully wide scope for a game! That's like saying TV Programme RPG: an RPG about TV programmes.

But on closer inspection Anime RPG is a conventional fantasy RPG with manga-style artwork, so I guess it's just a bad title.

Me and pchan were talking about this recently, a Spanish RPG that the publisher named Faith. Try using that as a search word! You won't find a far future, space opera RPG about galactic societies influenced by living gods. Alas, the publisher has folded. sad (Maybe use a better title next time, guys.)

Mayhem Inc.
Mayhem Inc.
OOOh Infected sounds fun! Just from the title, but... Zombies!

Jinkies!
nem Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Hmm. I have play experience of three few zombie apocalypse RPGs. I can rank them actually.

1. Shotgun Diaries (John Wick Presents). Better suited a more seriously themed zombie apocalypse, this is my favourite. A rules ultra-lite game that makes keeping a diary a key mechanic; it's clever and gives the group a way of enjoying their campaign out of session too. PDF available to buy.
    ^
  2. Dread (The Impossible Dream). Horror, not specifically zombies and also designed for one-offs where most of the group will die but there will be survivors (so not as depressing as Ten Candles, say). I used this game for the initial stages of the zombie outbreak itself, then switched to the next entry below for the rest of the apocalypse. The jenga tower mechanic is such genius with combined with the threat of being bitten and infected. weg PDF available to buy.
    ^
  3. End of the World: Zombie Apocalypse (FFG). This is probably the best blend of powerful, lite rules and diverse range of zombie scenarios. By default you play yourself, starting around the game table, which is fun. Out of print though.
    ^
  4. All Flesh Must be Eaten (Eden Studios). Lovingly written but bogged down by the Unisystem, which is a fine system for more complex supernatural scenarios with magic and a menagerie of monsters but feels massive overkill for zombies. I mean, it most scenarios you don't have "combat encounters" with a horde of zombies because it'd be suicide. PDF available to buy.

And having written all that I realise that they're all defunct games. huh

What current, good zombie apocalypse games are still in print idk but I can tell you that Infected RPG is more of a post-post-zombie apocalypse game. The outbreak is over and the country is trying to rebuild from its feudal state. You can still find zombies locked in rooms/trapped in places but the infection can't reach a critical mass.

Last edited by nem; Sun 28/08/22 12:31 UTC.
nem Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
I know the nominations weren't very compelling this year but for anyone who's been following them, the 2022 ENNIE Award Winners have been announced.

https://ennie-awards.com/2022-results/

Czepeku Maps gets a gold for best maps... well, they're floorplans really, but if you play with a virtual tabletop you should check them out. Quite lovely.

https://www.czepeku.com/

I was disappointed in the best game winner. Thirsty Sword Lesbians. According to its web page "Thirsty Sword Lesbians is a roleplaying game for telling queer stories with friends. If you love angsty disaster lesbians with swords, you have come to the right place."

Honestly reads like puerile nonsense to me. Since when do you need a game designed around lesbians to play lesbians?? And how do you even design a game around lesbianism!? Have the writers forgotten what lesbianism is? It's purely a sexual preference. So are there rules for scissoring? What about cunnilingus? And if so, how is female-female cunnilingus any different from male-female cunnilingus? What if one of the player characters gets into this situation with a male NPC, do the rules break down? blank

It's great that a sex-orientated game exists, plenty of people want to play through sex scenes, especially online, but winning the ENNIE for Best Game? urgh Who knows, maybe the competition really was that uninspiring or maybe Thirsty Sword Lesbians really is that ingenius. I'd have to read it to sure.

Wizop
Administrator
Online Content
Wizop
Administrator
Agreed!

Checked out the maps. Pretty but generally small and not very detailed. Like the idea of choosing your season. wink

Argus Offline OP
Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
October

Paizo Publishing
Pathfinder Flip-Mat: Crown of the Kobold King
Starfinder Adventure Path: Drift Crashers Part 3 - Masters of Time and Space
Pathfinder Adventure Path: Blood Lords Part 4 - The Ghouls Hunger
Pathfinder Lost Omens: Legends Special Edition
Pathfinder Adventure: Crown of the Kobold King
Tome of Heroes Pocket Edition (5E)
Pathfinder Flip-Mat Classics: Pirate Island
Starfinder Adventure Path: Dead Suns
Starfinder Adventure Path: Dead Suns Special Edition
Pathfinder Adventure: Crown of the Kobold King Special Edition

Wizards of the Coast
D&D Starter Set

nem Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Oooh, a new D&D 5e Starter Set, featuring a new adventure called Dragons of Stormwreck Isle. I wonder how this one is different from Lost Mines of Phandelver?

Well, if I listed Phandelver's flaws as an adventure they'd probably be:

• Dense, too verbose layout. Adventures need to have their crucial info accessible to the DM at a glance.
  • A hub with side quests. Although providing ample opportunity for adventure, this format gives no compelling in-world reason for the PCs to undertake side quests. Levelling up and gaining loot makes sense in a CRPG, but TTRPGs are more immersive and need more plot.
  • A bit humdrum. So you bravely decide to try D&D, a fantasy role-playing game of high adventure, but the first adventure only has one memorable set-piece (vs the green dragon) and it's not critical to the plot so the PCs could miss it entirely.
  • Pregens. Did Phandelver have any? I used to own the set but can't remember any pregens. I created my own for the group I DM'ed.

If anyone's read a decent review of this new starter set, do share. smile

nem Offline
Wobbly Headed
Administrator
Wobbly Headed
Administrator

According to this video review, most of my above criticisms are addressed in the new starter set so well done WotC, from me. smile Apparently the original starter set did have pregens btw, but the character sheets were terrible for newbies, which is probably why I created my own when I ran Phandelver.

Last edited by nem; Sat 08/10/22 12:41 UTC.
Phandelver was excellent. I'll take your word that this improves on it.

-Nep
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Newest Members
Talon475, Randal Trimmer, Kimf, Yvon, Xiang Chin
177 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Member Spotlight
nem
nem
GMT 0
Forum Statistics
Forums103
Topics2,815
Posts139,433
Members177
Most Online296
Jan 19th, 2020
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
†Restricted forums can only be accessed by DreamLyrics members of the age of 18 years or older. Access which is granted by the Behind Closed Doors Procedure.
™DreamLyrics Play-by-Post. DreamLyrics Play-by-Post does not own copyright on DreamLyrics texts or graphics, except trademarked DreamLyrics logos and logotypes. The works contained in DreamLyrics are copyrighted (automatically, under the Berne Convention) by the original authors and may be available under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Licence. (See Copyrights for details.)
Privacy Policy